Alien Covenant / Prometheus / Aliens / AvP / Discussion Thread

Comments

• Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,232
    edited May 7
    OK, even though I tend to break easily I'm not watching anymore trailers. I was just watching a really strange/disturbing trailer with David which possibly gives away a really huge twist in the movie so I turned it off mid way. I'll wait until thursday...

Reviews so far:

Here is what JoBlo Editor-In-Chief Paul Shirey had to say about it.

Post edited by Sexperienced. on
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,507
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 931
    My hopes aren't high for this one. Since it's been a whopping 31 years since this franchise had a good movie, and my faith in Ridely Scott was severely diminished after the cinematic crime that was Prometheus.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,235
    Yea Prometheus was fucking terrible, I'm really glad Ridley Scott is the one directing Bladerunner 2047.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    Yea Prometheus was fucking terrible, I'm really glad Ridley Scott is the one directing Bladerunner 2047.

I dont know if you forgot the "not" but Blade Runner sequel is being directed by Denis Villeneuve (Arrival).

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,235
    Yea left out the not...stupid ass phone.

Glad he's not directing it.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    The only gripe I have about covenant from what I've seen so far in the trailers is the cgi at certain moments I just hope it looks better when I watch it in the cinema.
    edited May 10
    Is anyone else watching Covenant today?
    I'm on a complete blackout for 2 more weeks :s

Some advice, do not rewatch any trailers because people are revealing spoilers. luckily I only saw one which doesn't reveal the outcome of the film.

We yankees have to wait till May 19th alas.

-Jawaharlal Nehru
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,066
    Some friends wanted to go see it so I will be joining them next week. Kind of hyped again.

• locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 3,481
    I'm on a complete blackout for 2 more weeks :s

Some advice, do not rewatch any trailers because people are revealing spoilers. luckily I only saw one which doesn't reveal the outcome of the film.

I'm not even watching all these new trailers. Wanna get surprised when I go watch it
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-3711-4829
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,082
    Alien 3 is a steaming pile of shit lol
    I'm making a fighting game! http://www.disturbingtheverse.com/
    The SRK thread, the Discord server.
    edited May 11
    Alien 3/Resurrection/Both AvP movies= Make Prometheus look like Gold.

• Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 14,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 11
    61 reviews for Covenant so far, 77% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Not bad. Then again, Prometheus finished with a 72% fresh... lol.
    edited May 11
    61 reviews for Covenant so far, 77% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Not bad. Then again, Prometheus finished with a 72% fresh... lol.

Give it time. I'm sorry to say i was once one of the Prometheus defenders when it came out. But i was just in denial. Prometheus had so many great ideas, the cast was good, David was great, etc. Yet it all failed spectacularly.

Only David lindelof could take something with so much promise and wreck it that badly.
    Post edited by AlphaCharlie on

Wait....did he just say he loved Prometheus?
  • StockyJamStockyJam roses are red your nuts are blue Joined: Posts: 4,762
  • FlameAngelZFlameAngelZ I'm gonna fuck you up! Joined: Posts: 852
    Like good fucked up and weird or.... bad fucked up and weird?
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

FlameAngelX got banned... for excessive use of the word "cake mews".
    edited May 12
    It really depends on how you personally view it. It's hard to explain without revealing spoilers.

I can confirm what's not in the movie. Like I said earlier the Prologue and the last Supper scenes are not in this movie. They also left out the gopro viral videos and the MUTHUR scene that I posted earlier.

This is possibly the darkest and most violent Alien movie in the Franchise. It's also really fast paced when they eventually land on the planet. The CGI was a lot better than I expected and the cinematography was amazing.

Overall I liked it. It was better than Prometheus but it will devide SRK. Some of you will love it and some of you won't. That I can guarantee, lol.

In the mid acts whenever someone is killed it felt like the crew members didn't seem too concerned about what had just happened. Which leads me to my next point... You won't see crew members making as many dumb mistakes as they did in Prometheus but believe me, dumb mistakes are made. One crew member does something that I believe was dumber than anything I recall seeing in Prometheus which leads to this particular character being killed, but this scene doesn't negatively effect the movie.

When watching this film you can easily predict when someone's about to die, even the ending is predictable.

The wheat field attack which occurs seconds after the back burster scene that we see in the trailers is fantastic, you'll understand when you see it.

The Adult Neomorphs are vicious. I hope we see more of them in the next Alien movie. The Xenomorph birth is really.... interesting. That's all I have to say, lol.
  • FlameAngelZFlameAngelZ I'm gonna fuck you up! Joined: Posts: 852
    Ok... that sounds... alright... I guess.
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

FlameAngelX got banned... for excessive use of the word "cake mews".
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,082
    Sounds about as shitty as Prometheus.
    I'm making a fighting game! http://www.disturbingtheverse.com/
    The SRK thread, the Discord server.
    edited May 14
    Sounds about as shitty as Prometheus.

It's not.. it's worth watching but it does have it's issues.

Imo, this could have been the best Alien movie, with a few changes to the script. I wish it had more scenes with multiple Neomorph attacks (you'll undestand when you see it). If Ridley made an Alien movie where the crew were intelligent but the Aliens and the main villain had ways to get around that then you'll have a great Alien film. I really don't think the philosophical aspects of Prometheus are relevant anymore because this film pretty much made that entire discussion pointless. Alien and Aliens had none of that but were still great films.

When I bought my ticket for Covenant last night they said I was 10 minutes late for the movie (this was after the commercials ended) and they were 1 minutes away from shutting the cash registers when I bought my ticket. I even had the count down on my phone as I ran to the cinema. I saw it at 11:30pm and left the cinema at 2am, that's how desperate I was to see this movie. When I walked in it was literally 30 seconds from starting and luckily I didn't miss anything. The strange thing was the cinema was dead so they let me sit anywhere I wanted. They were only 10 of us at the screening, if even that, and yesterday was the official UK release date. I could have recorded the entire film on my mobile if I wanted to.
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,507
    edited May 12
    We were screwing around at work with Google cardboard, everyone is hyped for Covenant now :lol:

Kermode reviews

"Alien was a horror movie, Aliens was a war movie, Alien 3 was a....disaster" :lol:
    It has it's moments but he really wanted it to be better, he feels it may actually undermine the legacy of the original film but he admits his view maybe biased because he has too much invested in the franchise (he made a documentary). It's better than Prometheus, characters aren't as dumb but the script is where the problems lie.

Worth listening to the podcast instead because it includes the thoughts of people who wrote into the show, includes interview with Katherine Waterston at 38:00mins, Kermode's full review starts at 51:00mins then continues 1:06:25 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pgbpw#play

Post edited by The Furious One on
    edited May 12
    Worth listening to the podcast instead because it includes the thoughts of people who wrote into the show, includes interview with Katherine Waterston at 38:00mins, Kermode's full review starts at 51:00mins then continues 1:06:25 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pgbpw#play

That's exactly what I said, adding the philosophical nonsense to Alien ruined it. They could have introduced the engineers in Prometheus without worrying about philosophy.

There's so much more that I want to say, but I don't want it to effect your expectations of the movie.

Anyway, Furious why haven't you watched it yet, are you not in England anymore?
    edited May 12
    lol I'm going to be in the minority but I'm so glad to hear that he hasn't strayed too far from the theology aspect of the story.

That's exactly what I said, adding the philosophical nonsense to Alien ruined it. They could have introduced the engineers in Prometheus without worrying about philosophy.

There's so much more that I want to say, but I don't want it to effect your expectations of the movie.

Anyway, Furious why haven't you watched it yet, are you not in England anymore?

Can't see it this weekend so I have to wait till next weekend :tup:
    lol I'm going to be in the minority but I'm so glad to hear that he hasn't strayed too far from the theology aspect of the story.

There's​ so much I want to say about that about that but I won't. The presence of the engineers, or lack of it doesn't really add anything to the storyline.

A friend offered​ to buy me tickets to watch it on Monday but I couldn't wait, so I'm watching it again on Monday because I don't want to piss him off and tell him I've seen it already.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,668
    Can't see it this weekend so I have to wait till next weekend :tup:
    Same here. But I'm not in England, lol.
    This SRK nonsense will never stop.
    -jimmy1200, unbanned
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,620
    So from a couple reviews, the story that shifts and characters explaining what is going on like the audience doesn't have the understanding to figure it out...yeah I'll wait tell this and gits is out on bluray. While I'm a fan of Alien\Aliens, I'm glad I waited tell Prometheus was on disc and it sounds like this will be in the same ball park, too bad.
    Prometheus was a GREAT experience on the theater. Cinematography alone was worth the ticket. I don't like 3D movies tbh but it was very well executed on that film
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,668
    Is it scary?
    This SRK nonsense will never stop.
    -jimmy1200, unbanned
    locoghoul wrote: »
    Prometheus was a GREAT experience on the theater. Cinematography alone was worth the ticket. I don't like 3D movies tbh but it was very well executed on that film

Good for you. One of the first things I said after watching it was "glad I didnt see this shit in theaters"
    edited May 13
    chadouken! wrote: »
    Is it scary?

Yes.
    BBQ wrote: »
    So from a couple reviews, the story that shifts and characters explaining what is going on like the audience doesn't have the understanding to figure it out...

That's not true.
    What's not true, because both of my points are in the videos posted on this page. Kermode and

not watched this

Is it scary?

Yes.
    So from a couple reviews, the story that shifts and characters explaining what is going on like the audience doesn't have the understanding to figure it out...

That's not true.

How would you rank Daniels character when compared to Shaw or Ripley
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 23,379
    Rick and Morty about to hit classic Simpsons status, if they keep this pace up.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    edited May 22
    locoghoul wrote: »
    Is it scary?

Yes.

That's not true.

How would you rank Daniels character when compared to Shaw or Ripley

She doesn't even come close to Ripley but I'd put her slightly above Shaw, and that's only because she gets more action scenes than shaw.

The Neomorphs were so advanced in this movie it made me wonder why the Xenomorphs were created in the first place. An adult Neomorph may not be as big as a Xenomorph but it can kill you in many more ways, and what it has "defensively" makes it far more superior than the Xenomorph. You'll wonder why this particular trait wasn't added to the Xenomorph....
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 10,849
    Saw this movie today, such such dumb fucking shit.

Like the pilot having such a huge freakout over a bit of blood on a soldier, to sealing the damn doctor in the medical room with a dude that could be taking any number of bizarre allegic reactions, to then having the balls to top all this nonsense off with blowing everybody the fuck up. God damn.

Legit mad AF in the movie theatre 20mins into the film cause i couldnt believe wtf I was watching.

Then we get to the whole Walter/David thing. Shit.

How can this get any worst? 1/10.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
    edited May 14
    Hahahahaha... told y'all this film would devide. Unlike some other people who've watched it I didn't think Davids motives were that deep or even made sense. Crucades, the scene you're talking about has been on YouTube for over 2 weeks now. I saw that scene before I watched the movie. You're the only person I've seen complain about it to that extent.

I also thought Fassbender was overacting at times.... Now let's discuss the Xenomorph birth which seemed so out of character, and the fact that the Neomorphs were by far superior to the Xenomorphs.

The creature that scales the walls didn't look like a Neomorph. I think it was another species.
    How about explaining why those points I've taken out of the 2 reviews are wrong?
    edited May 14
    How about explaining why those points I've taken out of the 2 reviews are wrong?

I can but I'll have to reveal some minor spoiler. The man of faith wasn't telling the audience's​ that he was religious. He was pissed of that the crew disobeyed an order because he was a man of faith, and he was telling his wife not the audience.

That's one scene, did they mention any other scenes as examples? It's not a 1 out of 10 film. Crucades needs to be specific about what he hates about it.
    edited May 14
    IIRC the cast was explaining what is happening/what will happen throughout the movie, that and the awkward shift of the last 3rd of the movie and or reusing the iconic parts of the first 2 films. This is what I comprehended of the review videos that concluded why I'm going to wait until later.
  • chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,194
    Just back from the cinema.
    Clearly the studio didn't want the Prometheus name on this, but this definitely Prometheus 2, rather than Alien .5.

It's better than Prometheus, but that's not hard. Like someone else said, the crew seem to barely react to their colleague's deaths.

The twist could be seen coming a mile away, and the captain was an idiot. He trusted David seconds after he told him that he intentionally committed genocide.

Overall, it's not bad, but it's not good either.
    Distinctly average.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 10,849
    Just back from the cinema.
    Clearly the studio didn't want the Prometheus name on this, but this definitely Prometheus 2, rather than Alien .5.

It's better than Prometheus, but that's not hard. Like someone else said, the crew seem to barely react to their colleague's deaths.

The twist could be seen coming a mile away, and the captain was an idiot. He trusted David seconds after he told him that he intentionally committed genocide.

Overall, it's not bad, but it's not good either.
    Distinctly average.
    The captain was retarded as hell but the entire crew save the sergeant were horribly incompetent and ill equipped for such a space faring adenture.

The captain said his faith was the reason the company didn't give him command, yet doesn't realise that he has no respect from the crew, no presense nor any leadership ability and most likely rose to position of XO by being a yes man.

Walter vs David was dumb AF because of how heavy handed the twist was. You knew Walter was getting murked as soon as David cut his hair,they didn't even need to do the whole bullshit offscreen job.

Where the hell did Shaw get a new body for David anyway? Was her speciality archaeology or advanced robotics I can't remember but it doesn't matter because the entire thing was rediculous.

Sad thing is Walter was the only thing Fassbender didn't fuck up. Walter a more advanced synthetic yet doesn't land a killing blow at that point? Fuck outta here.

Lander pilot freaking out and doing what she did needs no explanation.

3rd String Ripley fighting aliens on Covenant with the stoner cowboy dude was dumb AF considering it was a damn xenomorph and thesee things fight squads of colonial marines and fucking predators 1v1.

Just so much bullshit in this movie.

David wipes out the Engineers? Word?
    ROFL!!
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
    BBQ, the cast do not explain to the audience what is happening, but situations that do occur are predictable. This movie is fast pace.
    edited May 15
    Why are we still discussing if this is a sequel to Prometheus?

The whole theology discussion was pointless because it wasn't done well in Prometheus and I didn't expect Covenant to improve on it, and if you're​ watching Covenant to learn something new about the engineers you'll be disappointed.

Just the thought of an android who doesn't need to rest, eat or sleep, and doesn't feel physical pain complaining about humans being RUDE to him makes me laugh....

At this point we already know that Shaw fixes David, this isn't a spoiler. She connects David's​ head back to his body. Crucades did you even watch Prometheus? The engineer didn't eat or destroy David's body.
    Daniel's fighting the Xenomorph at the end was not stupid, have you forgotten that in Alien Ripley fought a single Xenomorph? Aliens do not fight Colonial Marines 1 on 1, they fight them in groups. Killing a single Alien would be easy for a colonial Marine.

We already new that David wiped out the engineer world before this film was released