Alien Covenant / Prometheus / Aliens / AvP / Discussion Thread

Comments

• Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,257
    edited May 16
    Just back from the cinema.
    wasn't it strange that some Neomorphs were resistant to bullets but others weren't, like the one that killed the girl?

I thought the Neomorphs were far more interesting than the Xenomorphs in the ways they attacked with the use of their tails, claws and even acid. They also moved a lot quicker than Xenomorphs.

A lot of things didn't make sense, but what comes immediately to my mind is David's login working on the ship. Or the fact that Tennessee and Daniels didn't check the cameras to figure out where the second Xenomorph came from after killing it.

The dumbest part for me was that girl splitting from the group like she new the location where David spent the last 10 years, and she did it right after watching an Alien burst out of her colleagues mouth, and being attacked by bullet resistant Aliens

Overall it was a decent movie, obviously not great but I enjoyed the action, I still think it's worth watching.
    Post edited by Sexperienced. on
    edited May 15
    Huge spoiler showing the first Neomorph killing.

• Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Goofy musical overview of all the Alien films

PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,189

At this point we already know that Shaw fixes David, this isn't a spoiler. She connects David's​ head back to his body. Crucades did you even watch Prometheus? The engineer didn't eat or destroy David's body.

You gotta be shitting me, she a qualified synth repair tech? Or these robots built like lego or some bullshit? Head torn clear off, rock girl puts him back together perfectly. Yea I buy it.
    Daniel's fighting the Xenomorph at the end was not stupid, have you forgotten that in Alien Ripley fought a single Xenomorph? Aliens do not fight Colonial Marines 1 on 1, they fight them in groups. Killing a single Alien would be easy for a colonial Marine.

We already new that David wiped out the engineer world before this film was released
    First of all I went into this movie blind, i didnt know shit about David murking the Engineers so the impact of that was dumb AF, and now that I know its still stupid AF. A precursor race would just gather underneath a ship as it open the doors to drop off virus? Hahah that scene alone made Pluto Nash oscar worthy.

To address the first point, yea it was dumb because both of these assholes didnt have a clue what they were doing, at least Ripley manned up and went to town, the two idiots basically pulled an Aliens finally and lucked out. Indeed plot armor saved them from the most dangerous species in the galaxy.

Xenomorphs take anything 1v1, look at AvP movies, check the comics. They will wait under a bridge for a squad to walk across then start tearing shit up.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
    edited May 16
    The shit you complain abouts​ is fucking rediculous. Why not also complain about an Alien that was created with a gestation period of less than an hour.

Did you even watch the prologue or Prometheus's. David wasn't dead when his head was ripped off, he's an Android remember, his physiology is nothing like a humans. Secondly he instructs Shaw on how to put him back together. Why are you complaining about this now when they showed it in the prologue last week.
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ...Did you even watch the prologue or Prometheus's. David wasn't dead when his head was ripped off, he's an Android remember, his physiology is nothing like a humans. Secondly he instructs Shaw on how to put him back together. Why are you complaining about this now when they showed it in the prologue last week.
    crucades wrote: »
    First of all I went into this movie blind...

I mean, come on lol
    edited May 17
    ^^Seems like he was blind throughout the movie as well. He saw Prometheus and if you've seen Prometheus you would know that Shaw was going to fix David. This isn't something worth complaining about now..

Also the reaction of the nurse after being splattered on her face with blood as the Alien attempts to burst out of the back of her colleague wasn't that far fetched, considering she doesn't know whether the infection is contagious or not. I've had weirder reactions from nurses over far minor issues.
    The Alien race were not expecting David, hence the applause at the arrival of the ship. This is why you need rewatch and understand Prometheus. If you know anything about the Alien franchise you'd know that the space Jockey race are not entirely wiped out.
    edited May 17
    I've already pointed out that this film isn't perfect and you're complaining about shit we saw in the trailers, lol. In your "spoilers" you haven't even touched on most of the things that did not make sense in this movie.

It's worth watching but it's not a great movie, and Mark Kermode is right when he says this film may undermine the original Alien. This film will devide SRK without a doubt, and the action is the only the only thing imo that makes it better than Prometheus.
    How many people saw Prometheus and actually liked it? I'm curious to know how many.
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,662
    First impression, I thought it was terrible. Second time around, it was "meh," similar to re watching Alien 3.

Off topic but I've been watching this live stream called African Safari and this guy was talking about a spider that was subdued and numbed by this wasp that was currently, at the time, preparing a hole for the spider which it would impregnate it with eggs. He then said that when the spider wakes up, it will not realize what had happened and carry on
    But eventually the eggs will hatch in it's body and start feeding on the spider's insides which will give the spider a long painful death. He then mentions Alien. Thought that was not only insightful but also ironic.
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 3,704
    How many people saw Prometheus and actually liked it? I'm curious to know how many.

*raises hand*

I liked the fact that they could leave out the xenomorph and still create an interesting story with good scenes (Shaw's c-section). Overall very refreshing Sci-fi movie. How many other scifi's had you watched around that time that didn't suck dick?
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-3711-4829
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,052
    edited May 18
    But Prometheus sucked dick.....

*Raises hand*

I saw it. Has good cinematography but that's about it imo. Scott's an amazing world builder and can frame a shot with the best of the them, but he can't tell stories very well imo, and he gets worse atit the more complicated the story and the older he gets.

Blade Runner is my favorite of his work and he still fucked that up with that stupid ass unicorn dream. Movie would be fucking perfect if he didn't try to force a specific interpretation. Especially since "Is Deckard a Replicant" is the least interesting question you could ask, and I feel you missed the fucking point of the movie if you do ask it.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,927
    I just watched Prometheus and Alien in preparation for Covenant. I still like Prometheus even though the second half is awkward with so many bad decisions and Guy Pierce as an old fucker. Fassbender and Rapace are great, as is Elba. Looking forward to Friday.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,179
    I really really enjoyed certain parts of Prometheus (engineers), but understand that overall it was not great.

Covenant was enjoyable, but didn't feel like anything new. I would like watch it again.
    We still didn't get answers to anything. While I was hyped that the movie did take place on an engineer planet, David had already fucked shit up lol.
    His experiments were interesting. Is that going to be in the extended version? Are the engineers inhabiting other planets?

edited May 19
    locoghoul wrote: »
    Overall very refreshing Sci-fi movie. How many other scifi's had you watched around that time that didn't suck dick?

Any Alien prequel or sequel will be compared to the original Alien and Aliens which are two of the greatest films ever made. No one is comparing Prometheus or Covenant to other scifi films that's why a lot of us were disappointed.

My main issue with Prometheus was the lack of action, gore/violence, fear and suspense (except for the squid c-section scene that was the highlight of the film), yes I know that's superficial but that's how I felt because that's essentially what made Alien and Aliens great films. The storyline was never deep.

Don't get me wrong, I've always wanted to know where the Aliens came from and the origins of the space Jockey but trying to connect that to the origins​ of life on earth wasn't necessary. I also though the reveal of the Space Jockey being human with a few minor differences was really disappointing. I was expecting a psychopathic half Alien Android hybrid creature that would take out the crew members one by one, even by experimenting on some of them.

I thought it was strange that thee Space Jockey's were supposed to be 2000 years more advanced than humans but it still took them years to move from one planet to the next which was the exact same technology being used by the humans.

I saw another interview with Ridley where he said the only complaints he read about Prometheus on social media were the lack of Xenomorphs. He originally had no intention of introducing the Xenomorph in Covenant which would have made perfect sense, but I think he felt Prometheus was so disappointing (he claims it was a success but deep down he know it wasn't) so he needed to add the Xenomorphs to keep Alien fans interested. Where prometheus ends and Aliens starts felt way too abrupt in this film. You'll also realise that the Neomorphs were probably closer to being the perfect organism than the Xenomorphs for a number of reasons.

If Ridley fucks up the next prequel which will be the most important out of all the prequels then he'll fuck up the legacy of the original Alien and Aliens, he's already slightly fucked it up already but I wont go into detail about that right now.

*I'm starting to think that some of you will hate this even more than Prometheus whether you liked Prometheus or not*, but I will say that this is a beautifully shot film. In terms of cinematography and world building NO ONE does it better than Ridley, all he needs is decent script writers. I also thought the special effects were good but I seem to be only person who thinks this out of all the reviews I've com across.
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 3,675
    edited May 19
    I'm somewhat interested in seeing Covenant. However what I'm reading, it just seems like this is an unnecessary story.

I did not care for Prometheus. It was a very well acted, visually impressive movie that provided very little substance. Each question led to more questions. It was just a setup for the next movie.
    Post edited by Optimus124 on
    PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
    I just got back from seeing it.

Pros:

Cinematography. Its Scott so thats to be expected.

Fassbender acting: Awesome as both Walter/Daniel

Danny McBride was ok. So thats equivalent to him being nominated for an OScar.

Neomorph and their attack scene in the field. It is more violent and disturbing than Prometheus imo.

Special Fx and CG.

Cons:

While this is titled Alien , it felt like a rehash of Prometheus, Alien and Aliens mixed together into a "Greatest hits" album

Once again, you dont give a hoot about most of the characters. They seem to to take death of comrades relatively well with a few exceptions.
    While theyre less dumb than certain Prometheus members, that doesn't make most of them any more endearing

The twist at the end wasnt very surprising imo. It was my first thought considering the nature of two characters.

While it does give explanations for things in Prometheus and Alien in general, in a way it undermines the whole franchise and removes some of the mystique.

Im very ambivalent. I don't feel eager to see the next installment that much.
    For all its flaws, Prometheus felt more intriguing to me with some of its ideas than catering to tried and true tropes.

Overall: 6.5/10

Ranking

Alien 9/10
    Aliens 9/10
    Prometheus 7/10
    Alien covenant 6.5/10
    Alien 3 6/10
    Alien Resurrection 5/10
    AVP Requiem 4/10
    AVP 1 4/10

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 532
    edited May 20
    Saw it tonight, I feel its a better rewatch than Prometheus but its flaws a still very noticeable. Whoever said it comes off as a mash of Prometheus, Alien, and Aliens was spot on. Fassbender once again did a great job and is the strongest reason I'd watch this again, and Neomorph attack scenes.
    As mentioned multiple times, Oram is a fool. From moment one he is introduced as incompetent and unconfident and we have no reason to care about him.
    Much of the crews demises came off like bad slasher films. The worst was the girl that got offed by the Neomorph. You're walking off to clean yourself up?! I wouldn't nitpick as much if the movie didnt attempt to have some semblance of basic military tactics yet characters are walking off alone. Even worse when you've been attacked previously.
    The Xenomorph life cycle was on speed. Things went from facehugger, to chestburster, to massive adult in about 10 minutes of real time
    David/Walter switcheroo was so obvious you have to wonder why they even did it. There was nothing suspenseful about it

edited May 20
    Ok, we're all in agreement that the film was disappointing, but still entertaining.

I'm one of the few people that didn't like Fassbenders portrayal of David because his motives didn't make no sense.

Now that some of you have seen it, they're are a few things I didn't quite understand
    In no particular order.

Let's start with the Neomorphs. Why were the adolescent Neomorphs in the field bullet resistant, but the fully grown adult Neomorph that decapitated that girl was shot dead instantly.

Why did David's password work on a new covenant ship, 10 years after he went missing?

Why didn't Daniels check the CCTV cameras to figure out where the second Xenomorph came before being put back to Cryo sleep?

The Xenomorph chest burst scene was strange, all I remember was seeing was the baby Xenomorph's shiny ass. What happened to the snake phase?

Why did David have feelings for the Neomorph. He didn't design it. The Neomorphs occur naturally when the black goo leaks and mixes with the planets ecosystem.

Didn't understand David's motives considering that we're never told why he dropped the black goo on the people of that planet, and we still don't know who they are.

Yes the crew were dumb, and like I said earlier watching a colleague being killed meant nothing to most of them. I really think that the dumbest mistake in the Alien franchise was the girl who decided break away from the group and wonder through the ruins by herself literally minutes after witnessing 3 of her colleagues being killed by Aliens, lol.
    Saw it last night and had a blast. I know I'm one of the few who enjoyed Prometheus (enough to buy it on blue ray), but I'm a fan of the series and thought Covenant was a good addition. My favs in order are Alien, Aliens, Covenant, Prometheus, and 3. Resurrection shouldn't have ever happened. Covenant was definitely worth the ticket price.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
    WS spoiler tags god damn
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 532
    Although I agree with all you said, white shadow (especially the Scott-Lucas comparison), locoghoul is right, spoiler tags.
  • Amazing FunbagsAmazing Funbags The J-Cup Lover Joined: Posts: 17,829
    Saw it Thursday. Some moments made me laugh out loud with the sheer stupidity of how the characters acted but it was an ok movie. Neomorphs were cool.
    Boobologist Ph.D
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    that's what happens when you let an old timer take the wheel.

uh, i meant the movie of course...
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,032
    edited May 20
    Ok damn, never let Ridely Scott near this series again. Prometheus sucked but most seemed to blame Damon lindelof for that. After Alien Covenant, it's clear he wasn't the only problem. Ridely Scott is clearly over the hill and doesn't know what he's doing anymore.

Someone needs to pry this series away from Ridely Scott before he produces any more shitty Alien flicks. This series hasn't had a good movie in 31 goddamn years and he is one of those responsible for that. The Alien series has basically turned into the Highlander franchise. A few awesome movies back in the day and then nothing but garbage since then.

Oh, and just when you thought taking their helmets off on an alien planet in Prometheus couldn't be topped? They topped it because....
    Those dumbasses never had helmets to take off to begin with!! They seriously just landed on an alien planet and got out of the ship with plain clothes on. No suits. WTF. And guess what happened? The infection started simply by them breathing in the air with no protection.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,858
    The movie was complete garbage.

1/10 would be my rating, and I'm a hardcore fan of the franchise.

This is easily the worst of all the Alien movies, twice as bad as Resurrection.
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,032
    edited May 21
    Yup Joe's right to be pissed. This was awful. Every single problem Prometheus had? Alien Covenant had...if not WORSE. No joke.

Stupid characters? By gawd....i don't even know where to begin. Especially that scene with the Captain and the alien egg. I actually said out loud in the theater: "ok nobody is that stupid".

Unanswered questions and mystery? Yup. Prometheus was one, great big cock tease afterall. Nothing was answered....except one question which brings me too....

Who created the Xenomorphs? Dear god why....

Oh, and can you believe this crappy movie had the balls to try and pull a "Twist" on us by doing something that everyone and their grandma saw coming 100 miles away. Who did they think they were fooling? That put even M.Night Shamylan's WORSE Twist's to shame.
  • CHIEfyCHIEfy Joined: Posts: 1,060
    edited May 21
    I hated this movie the more I think about it.

Makes me wanna watch Alien and Aliens again.
    "Competitive Smash is all about no items and Final Destination."
    - Masahiro Sakurai
  • Shaft AgentShaft Agent https://discord.gg/F4ZmxDu Joined: Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    just got back... that was rough...
    Ok, we're all in agreement that the film was disappointing, but still entertaining.

nah, i don't agree it was entertaining.

AT LEAST AMY PULLED DEM CALVES OUT
    Forget trying to pass for normal. Follow your geekdom. Embrace nerditude. In the immortal words of Lafcadio Hearn, a geek of incredible obscurity whose work is still in print after a hundred years, “Woo the muse of the odd.” You may be a geek. You may have geek written all over you. You should aim to be one geek they’ll never forget. Don’t aim to be civilized. Don’t hope that straight people will keep you on as some sort of pet. To hell with them. You should fully realize what society has made of you and take a terrible revenge. Get weird. Get way weird. Get dangerously weird. Get sophisticatedly, thoroughly weird, and don’t do it halfway. Put every ounce of horsepower you have behind it. Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well-rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a pufferfish. -Bruce Sterling
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,690 mod
    edited May 21
    (Well, given all the spoilers I've read through in here, I'm glad that I was skeptical about this as Shaft Agent was, except I didn't bother to go see it; I went to movies today, but it was to go see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with a friend.)

I really can't say I'm surprised, unfortunately. For the past month or so, since before my last post in here really, I've pretty much expected Covenant to be Prometheus's version of Requiem: basically a minimally improved sequel to heavily flawed movie that chose to focus violence and gore instead of trying to do anything actually intelligent or substantial with the franchise(s) beyond milking the brand and that was filled with characters you didn't ever give a fuck about at all, even when it came to the non-fodder ones. That indeed seems to be the case, which is again unfortunate.

I'm curious what Daemos's opinion will be whenever he posts. I suspect he'll find a reason to like Covenant, but I have to wonder what the pretext will be, especially since I won't be seeing this any time soon.

locoghoul wrote: »

*raises hand*

I liked the fact that they could leave out the xenomorph and still create an interesting story with good scenes (Shaw's c-section). Overall very refreshing Sci-fi movie. How many other scifi's had you watched around that time that didn't suck dick?

Please define "around that time", because I'm sure that even with relative dearth of well-done sci-fi movies, there were still a bunch of sci-fi movies better than Prometheus "around that time" even if you discount superhero movies.

Honestly, there's probably only three people in the thread as a whole that liked it (excluding yourself?): locoghoul (apparently), Daemos, and, IIRC, chadouken!.

That said, I may be throwing @chadouken! under the bus here by implying that he likes (another) shitty movie when that's not actually the case.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    edited May 21
    i'd consider you with enough IQ to be able to know what "around that time" means

you are welcome to list those sci-fi movies you "are sure" were better around that time though
    No, you're not throwing me under the bus. Like I stated before, I like Prometheus enough to own it. But I'm generally not as critical towards movies as you guys are. I was entertained by it and Covenant, so it's money well spent as far as I'm concerned.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 21
    The Damned wrote: »

I'm curious what Daemos's opinion will be whenever he posts. I suspect he'll find a reason to like Covenant, but I have to wonder what the pretext will be, especially since I won't be seeing this any time soon.

It was okay. It had several great moments but I was ultimately too disappointed by the mid section to enjoy it completely. I wanted more and better Prometheus and less Alien. What we got is a Frankenstein's Monster that doesn't satisfy anyone.

Truthfully though I walked into the theatre burdened by the biases of a die hard fan. It's been days and I am still thinking about the film, I am not comfortable giving my opinion just yet which is why I stayed quiet.

I highly recommend you and others watch it. Just don't let your expectation get the best of you.

I am waiting a little longer and will watch the film again on its own terms with hopefully less of my prejudices.

• PristineButtonsPristineButtons Joined: Posts: 228
    Dismissing all my nostalgic feelings for this entire franchise, my big issue with the prequels is that they've basically framed David as the main character without actually developing him properly. Seriously just make a damn movie where characterization is conveyed through competent writing. Fassbender is carrying this whole thing for me. His character feels like 10% script, 90% him.
    Dismissing all my nostalgic feelings for this entire franchise, my big issue with the prequels is that they've basically framed David as the main character without actually developing him properly. Seriously just make a damn movie where characterization is conveyed through competent writing. Fassbender is carrying this whole thing for me. His character feels like 10% script, 90% him.

wut

I do agree he is the main character of the prequels but how do you not see development rofl. He was ironically the most "human" character on Prometheus ship (bar Shaw and the black captain), was seen checking everyone's dreams, curious about creation/existance, even "proud" when the Engineer was touching him (before the attack ofc). The first scene of Covenant in particular further strengthens these points. Idk what you have watched.
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/397541-ridley-scotts-alien-covenant-tops-box-office-with-disappointing-36-million#/slide/1

$ 36 Million first weekend in the US.

In comparison

Prometheus - $51 M
    AVP 1- $38 M

-Jawaharlal Nehru
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,052
    edited May 21
    Crazy enough it actually looks better then this.

I am once again happy that Ridley Scott isn't directing Blade Runner 2049.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    I wanna see Scott directing a new sci-fi project. He does a good job but I feel for example on this movie there was a lot of stuff going on from his point of view, the fanbase, the "haven't watched any alien movie" regulars, studio execs, etc

Just want a fresh, no pressure, no expectation sci fi movie from him
    It already made more than its money back from the worldwide boxoffice, which in itself is a great sign because for better or worse at least we will get the whole story.
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,187
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/397541-ridley-scotts-alien-covenant-tops-box-office-with-disappointing-36-million#/slide/1

$ 36 Million first weekend in the US.

In comparison

Prometheus - $51 M
    AVP 1- $38 M

Good news. Maybe Blomkamp will get his chance to direct an Alien movie now...
    Blomkamp is done for. Long live the new flesh!