Alien Covenant / Prometheus / Aliens / AvP / Discussion Thread

Comments

• SoVi3tSoVi3t Behind The Iron Curtain Joined: Posts: 29,170
    crucades wrote: »
    Thats actually great news, a direct continuation of aliens and fuck all thats between it is a win win situation, although I dunno how much more of weavers wooden ass I can take.

the whole point is to give Ripley (the actual Ripley, not clones and shit) a proper send off.
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.
    Destroyer Of Azure, Conqueror Of Trolls
    Defiler Of The Pure, Owner Of Souls

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

XBox & Steam -> SoVi3t666

Unofficial champion of SRK GD circa oh-fucking-nine
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,590
    I know am talkin about the actress lol, having her die in the crash/ hypersleep whatever is good enough, she doesnt need to go out in a blaze of glory. She was a normal chick that overcame impossible odds and ultimately became a tragic heroine, nothing wrong with this. Thats interesting. The clones were dumb fair enough but its not like they need to put her back in a movie just to say "and here she finds peace and lives happily ever after".

game-over-man-game-over.jpg

This guy deserves a retcon more than anything. He didnt sign up for this shit either.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,885 mod
    This guy deserves a retcon more than anything. He didnt sign up for this shit either.

a fuckin men to that bro. 2 more weeks and he was out
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
    BRING BACK VASQUEZ!
    Official 2011 SRK Sexual Deviant Champion Of The Universe And Contest Winner Extraordinaire And Also Official 2012 SRK Sexual Deviant Since Nobody Stepped Forward And 2013 SRK Sexual Deviant Legend Because My Opposition Is Comprised Of Short Pimply GIF Posting Virgins Who Wouldn't Know What To Do With A Woman If She Sat On Their Collective Faces And Wiggled. Still Sexual Deviant Champion Of SRK circa 2015.

SRK 2015 Thirtiest Member and Current Reigning Champion of the SRK Tournament of Thirst.

All victories are hilariously argued against by various little boys who shall remain nameless
    Understand that my victories can only be disputed by successfully beating me for once.

• MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,999
    Thats actually great news, a direct continuation of aliens and fuck all thats between it is a win win situation, although I dunno how much more of weavers wooden ass I can take.
    In fact, director said he doesn't want to wipe out Alien 3 and 4.

SoVi3t wrote: »
    BRING BACK VASQUEZ!

lets rock! vasquez was too badass

i think the time between the marines waking up and getting murked is my favorite part of the movie, and there are really no bad parts of that movie imo

but I reckon there is a legit chance hicks is back right?
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,696
    edited February 2015
    I didn't mind the 3rd one TBH. As one dude said "it was the epicly-bleak, no hope ending the series deserved." Resurrection? That was dumb, and Prometheus was just as bad. I hope they don't PG13 this one though.
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,097
    edited February 2015
    Alien 3 wasn't amazing or in the same class as the first two, but it's better than anything after it, and better than anything I'd expect from the franchise at this point.

How about this-- between Alien 3 and this planned retcon, I'll disregard the worse movie. Let's see what Blomkamp's worth, and if this ends up being the awesome follow-up that everyone expected after Aliens in 1986.

PS. I finally saw Riddick. Dammit that's a great series, despite CoR switching up the formula. It's unofficially a part of the Alien universe, since Pitch Black was based on an early draft of Alien 3.
    edited February 2015
    Magegg wrote: »
    In fact, director said he doesn't want to wipe out Alien 3 and 4.

It's not that he is wiping them out, his movie just takes place before either other remove happens.

Alien 3 was bad because it was like 8 different movies at one point, and then sadly got rushed to production, melding like 8 scripts together into one fucked movie.

And yeah, Hicks is back.

• The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,846
    edited February 2015
    Alien 3 director's cut is brilliant. I don't know how he is going to make a movie that doesn't ignore 3 and 4, unless this movie's plot is going to borrow elements from both those films.
    Post edited by The Furious One on
    Alien 3 director's cut is brilliant. I don't know how he is going to make a movie that doesn't ignore 3 and 4, unless this movie's plot is going to borrow elements from both those movies.

Alien 3 took place many many MANY years after Aliens, and Resurrection was a clone, even farther into the future. This movie takes place literally right after Aliens.

They've already retconned what happened to Hicks, via games.

To be honest, they can just ignore everything about the sequels anyways.

Doesn't matter how good Directors Cut of Alien 3 was, the movie was an abortion from day one. They were literally still writing the script, while the film was being made. At one point it took place on a planet of monks, with everything made out of wood, for some reason. The only saving grace was they had a STELLAR director, who went on to make some huge films, to steer the trainwreck somewhere a little better.

yeah reading about the production hell Alien 3 went through its amazing how watchable it is, save for some minor technical issues. the direction is probably the best part. great atmosphere. and the directors cut is quite a bit better as well.

but I welcome a new third alien movie. I hope they get henriksen and biehn
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,846
    Kermode talks about Blomkamp's Alien movie, and some info regarding Alien 3 I never knew about. The original concept was very religious, Prometheus would have been a better addition to the franchise had this actual existed in this form.

TL;DR Kermode wants to see Vincent Ward's Alien 3 movie rather Blomkamp's.
    You didn't know Alien 3 originally took place on a wooden planet full of monks?

I don't recall seeing any of that concept art before.
    They were all dressed as monks in the movie and had their heads shaved lol.

Most of the sets were combined from SEVERAL different movies. Even worse, they were building sets before they even had a script.

• KYO84KYO84 Riddle Solver Joined: Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Trying to hunt down an online stream for the Prometheus fanfix by Agent9 (unless someone has an up.to account I can borrow :blush: )
    Prometheus SE cuts out a lot of the unnecessary humor, dialog and scene's, building stronger, smarter characters. Removing many plot holes with the story and just general things that have issues. Such as Fifield getting lost in the structure, running in a straight line away from a rolling space craft. Deleted scene's or certain shots from the deleted footage was re-integrated back into the movie by either using several shots to change certain scene's or by adding a whole new scene to the film. All new material was color corrected, scored, sfx added and leveled to appropriate audio levels.
    Intention:
    To create a better more intelligent version of the movie, with stronger characters, less humor, less plot holes, and more in the heart of Alien.

dude went all out and even worked on finishing off the incomplete CGI B)

trailer

Full details - http://fanedit.org/ifdb/component/content/article/79-fanedit-listings/fanfix/903-prometheus-special-edition

Managed to get Giftbearer fanfix which received a lot of praise when it was first released, but the Special Edition seems to be considered the best fan edit to date.

I would love to see this but I can't seem to find a download link.

"Better that we die on our feet than live on our knees!" Magneto
  • AlphaZeroAlphaZero Zzzz Joined: Posts: 994
    edited March 2015

I don't recall seeing any of that concept art before.

there's an entire sequence about VW Alien 3 in the documentary, section called Tales From the Wooden Planet. It seemed pretty interesting, but production staff was wary of the logistics. It was supposed to have a controlled 100 foot atmosphere on top of a wheat field, with clouds and all that, then open space. A lot of the hard science designers wouldn't buy into it, production designer said VW had no real concept of how it would work and it became an arguing point for the studio and they wanted it changed. Shame they couldn't compromise, even a ship with wood covered medieval styling on the interiors would have been pretty different. Allegory for heaven and hell, with the planet's machine functions in the bottom, blue sky at the top.

@sovi3t, alien 3 i think happened 4-6 weeks after Aliens, even with that piece of shit Colonial Marines story in place. Res was 200 years after that. Also i think i ran into you in KI, ggs

GT: AlphaZero
    www.KI.Infil.net <-Best guide to learning KI
  • NAPNAP Joined: Posts: 1,812
    Do did anyone actually see Chappie this weekend?
    edited March 2015
    So I finally got a copy of the Special Edition fan edit of Prometheus.

Have you ever been so angered by something that you just have to write a review, if it were good you probably wouldn't have bothered writing a review, but even at 3am I was like FSA"WP"%*&(*)($!!!.

Just gonna cut and paste it here.
    Agent 9's fanedit is the highest rated Prometheus edit so my expectations were high, even higher after watching the very long but otherwise excellent Giftbearer fan edit. The amount of work put into this edit is evident, I commend the creator for their efforts, however...

My enjoyment was completely ruined by the misuse of tracks to influence the viewer's emotion or convey character intentions in some scenes, incorrect audio levels during scenes with dialog, looping snippets of tracks from tracks intended for other scenes, bizarre audio effects added/manipulated to the existing score and and lastly shoehorned tracks from the other Alien movies that do not fit the tone of the film nor the film's score that was left intact. It's a great idea, but it was poorly executed, key scenes were spoiled, scenes intended to unravel before the audience are given away by new score elements that remove the suspense and reveal the plot surprises, these scenes should have been left untouched. These problems occur throughout the movie from title screen all the way till the end credits roll.

It's very unfortunate considering how much effort went to this. It would have benefited from critical review prior it's official release. The audio aspect of this project would have benefited from the collaboration of someone with strong audio editing experience.

Other than the above I have no complaints with the visual editing, there are certain scenes I would have prefered to see but I won't criticize the creator's choice considering what they had to work with and their choice how to tell the story. The movie's narrative is much more cohesive, there are lots of small edits that make a lot of difference. E.g Fifield and Millburn predicament is believable, as well as the Engineer ship roll (still don't know how these two scenes got through test screenings), are probably best edited versions of those sequences of events I have seen from the fan edits so far.

TL;DR I really do not understand how this got rated the best fan edit, it is a great showcase of stick to what you are good at, and get someone else to do the stuff you can't, otherwise you run the risk of torpedoing the whole project. The visual edit is superb, stupid character traits gone, events are much more believable overall, good to see plenty of the bluray extras used well.
    Can you PM me said SE fan edit? B)

Finally watched that Giftbearer edit, the extra Weyland stuff was really cool, also shifting some parts of the film around did make it flow a lot better, very good job :tup:

• Spirit JuiceSpirit Juice 「HATES EVERYTHING」 Joined: Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm worried about Alien 5. Is there any info on where it takes place in the timeline? Or what the movie will be about? Resurrection was such a god damn disaster that I'm apprehensive about a new Alien film, although Neill Blomkamp as director does give me some hope.
    I'm worried about Alien 5. Is there any info on where it takes place in the timeline? Or what the movie will be about? Resurrection was such a god damn disaster that I'm apprehensive about a new Alien film, although Neill Blomkamp as director does give me some hope.

Takes place between 2 and 3, seeing as Hicks is still alive.

edited September 2015
    Prometheus 2 has an official title

Alien: Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost poem(s) - http://www.paradiselost.org/8-Search-All.html

How much money do you think Fox threw at him to change the name to Alien?
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/73566

Apparently Neil's Alien movie is on hold, until Fox sees more of Prometheus.

• AlphaZeroAlphaZero Zzzz Joined: Posts: 994
    Probably for the best, after seeing Chappie i have my doubts about Blomkamp. not as a visualist, but when you think a great idea is Jar Jar Binks x Robocop.....maybe wait and see is better approach lol.

GT: AlphaZero
    www.KI.Infil.net <-Best guide to learning KI
    AlphaZero wrote: »
    Probably for the best, after seeing Chappie i have my doubts about Blomkamp. not as a visualist, but when you think a great idea is Jar Jar Binks x Robocop.....maybe wait and see is better approach lol.

Studio's meddle a lot with movies, then put the blame on directors and producers. There's a difference between a director taking on a project for money, and something he feels extremely strongly for, as a fan. I have faith in his adaptation of Aliens. I think that Fox is a little more worried about Prometheus 2 being more divergent than the first movie, with respect to the Alien mythology. People went into that expecting Alien 5, and instead walked out confused as fuck.

edited October 2015
    I have only seen District 9, and I hated the actual story but visually it was beautiful.

I dont need him writing the story for the next Alien, but adding his input isn't minded. Dude's a HUGE fan of Aliens, some people put everything they got into projects they care that much for. Elysium was hit or miss, it could have been good, time will tell. District 9 was well received. Chappie may have been fucked with by studios to make it more of a kids movie or something, who knows. The shit he did before was extremely well received and with little budget. He's still a young director, and Halo and Alien seem to be projects he is big on, and at least have established storylines that you can't fuck up too much.

Just let him direct, and have other's do the story. Make sure you have a good producer on board to keep him in line.

Seems like Ridley has responded to the positive reception of The Martian by hiring John Logan writer of Spectre to revise the script.
    http://screenrant.com/alien-paradise-lost-script-rewrite-logan/
    Part of the reason it’s taken longer than originally expected for Paradise Lost to start filming (over three years after Prometheus hit theaters) is because the script has undergone numerous revisions – which may be good news, as Prometheus‘ script was its most heavily-criticized element. The Paradise Lost screenplay is reportedly now undergoing some additional revisions, from one of Scott’s previous, Oscar-nominated, collaborators.

Variety, during its recent report on Scott receiving his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (hat tip ComicBook.com), revealed that Scott is currently revising the Alien: Paradise Lost screenplay with John Logan, ahead of principal photography getting started in February 2016. Logan, as it were, received one of his three Oscar nominations for screenwriting to date for his work on Scott’s Best Picture Oscar-winning swords and sandals flick, Gladiator (which Logan co-wrote), and is fresh off having co-penned the most recent James Bond movie installment, Spectre.

The initial Paradise Lost script draft was reportedly written by Jack Paglen (Transcendence), but subsequent drafts were penned by Michael Green (who also worked on the upcoming Blade Runner 2), prior to Logan coming onboard.

FFS that was a close one, Transcendence was utter garbage with barely any redeemable qualities.
  • AlexisdabombAlexisdabomb Joined: Posts: 2,528
    So yay?

I would rank the theatrical cut of Prometheus a 5 out of 10 whereas the fan edits (particularly the Agent Nine one) a 7 out of 10. I really, really, really hope they don't go in the direction of the Space Jockey's creating the Alien in order to wipe out the Earth so it can be claimed. Because that idea has been done better in the Aliens comics.
    "I wish someone would flex in front of the camera and say I'm awesome....

;_; "

Dander.
  • KYO84KYO84 Riddle Solver Joined: Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You wouldn't happen to have a link to the Agent Nine edit would you?
    "Better that we die on our feet than live on our knees!" Magneto
    KYO84 wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to have a link to the Agent Nine edit would you?

http://fanedit.info/?page_id=9

edited November 2015
    So yay?

I would rank the theatrical cut of Prometheus a 5 out of 10 whereas the fan edits (particularly the Agent Nine one) a 7 out of 10. I really, really, really hope they don't go in the direction of the Space Jockey's creating the Alien in order to wipe out the Earth so it can be claimed. Because that idea has been done better in the Aliens comics.

I wasn't much of a fan of the Agent 9 edit I enjoyed the Giftbearer more.

I do agree I hope its not as straight forward as that, I hope there is more to the xenomorphs.
  • AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    What's wrong with them simply being bio weapons? Nothing wrong with that concept, I've never wanted a deeper meaning to why Xenomorphs do what they do. The idea of the Space Jockeys creating a race to wipe out inferior populations only to fall victim themselves is neat, now the Xeno species is running rampant as a wild and chaotic force with no control.

It would be like if in Resident Evil I wanted Spencer to address why he decided to make B.O.W's when he is making bank simply on his pharmaceutical ventures. What was his meaning and purpose behind Hunters?

Answer would be he wanted to see what crazy shit would happen if he splices up Reptile and Human DNA and let it go buckwild. And to profit off of them in warfare that he never really did. Wasn't until after the fall of Umbrella that that shit really got out.

Your imagination always does a better job of filling in the gaps. All explanations will do is be a letdown.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file