Alien Covenant / Prometheus / Aliens / AvP / Discussion Thread

13132333436

Comments

  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 3,722
    The extended intro scene available on DVD is pretty good and sorta further explains David's intentions/mentality since he was born.

    Prometheus deleted first scene where Weyland gives a lecture about Prometheus (Greek mythology) was really good too.

    Shame they cut those off for theatrical version. I hope Scott gets to finish this Alien prequels series with Awakening amidst rumors of Fox rebooting the series
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-3711-4829
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    How about they try making a good movie for once?

    I know that's a foreign concept in Hollywood these days, but at this point, it's worth a shot, right?
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,700
    po pimpus wrote: »
    How about they try making a good movie for once?

    I know that's a foreign concept in Hollywood these days, but at this point, it's worth a shot, right?

    Only when the art means more than financial profit to the people in charge.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,147
    For real, I am so happy he's not directing Bladerunner 2049.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 3,722
    I will watch Scott's version of his trilogy (complete story) over Fox trying to remake a classic series. You are complaining about Scott "ruining" the franchise? lol

    Wait for F4ntastic meets Space Jockey
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-3711-4829
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,147
    These movies practically are the F4antastic 4 of Aliens movies.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Fant4stic*
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,147
    Fartastic*
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,035
    edited August 11
    locoghoul wrote: »
    The extended intro scene available on DVD is pretty good and sorta further explains David's intentions/mentality since he was born.

    Prometheus deleted first scene where Weyland gives a lecture about Prometheus (Greek mythology) was really good too.

    Shame they cut those off for theatrical version. I hope Scott gets to finish this Alien prequels series with Awakening amidst rumors of Fox rebooting the series


    Ridley Scott shat the bed big time. First with Prometheus and then even worse with Covenant. It's SciFi shlock at his finest. And there's no point in making another because the train has gone off the tracks so badly, that it'll never "connect" with Alien. Which is the whole point of these shitty prequels. It's basically an alternate universe by this point.

    I've no interest in seeing another one of Scott's cinematic abortions. What's left of the story isn't even salvageable.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,963
    Can't wait for the third Alien prequel! :tup:
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,035
    edited August 11
    Covenant flopped HARD too. After the budget of the movie itself, plus marketing, etc. They were LUCKY to break even. What fox exec in his right mind would green-light another one of these turkeys?

    They should do like Terminator Genisys and shelve this garbage.
  • odinodin is october coming? Joined: Posts: 15,340 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Covenant flopped HARD too. After the budget of the movie itself, plus marketing, etc. They were LUCKY to break even. What fox exec in his right mind would green-light another one of these turkeys?

    They should do like Terminator Genisys and shelve this garbage.

    But another Terminator is coming lol
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,210
    tbf the only problem with Genisys is that the casting for Kyle Reese was pure unforgiven trash, fucking Brolly out here, and the story of John Connor becoming a Terminator was kinda a dumb kick in the chucks, the movie would have been better served if Skynet itself came back in order to preserve itself and end the paradox.

    Other than that, it was a really good sci fi movie and near worthy to be a proper sequel to T2.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

    -Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,700
    edited August 11
    crucades wrote: »
    tbf the only problem with Genisys is that the casting for Kyle Reese was pure unforgiven trash, fucking Brolly out here, and the story of John Connor becoming a Terminator was kinda a dumb kick in the chucks, the movie would have been better served if Skynet itself came back in order to preserve itself and end the paradox.

    Other than that, it was a really good sci fi movie and near worthy to be a proper sequel to T2.

    IMO Genisys focused on the wrong story, they did a remake of the first movie that nobody asked for, when instead they should have told the Logan-esque story that they hinted at happening. Also, Khaleesi was a terrible choice for Sarah Conor.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,013
    edited August 11
    Covenant flopped HARD too. After the budget of the movie itself, plus marketing, etc. They were LUCKY to break even. What fox exec in his right mind would green-light another one of these turkeys

    I saw it up on iTunes and said "cool! It's ready to rent! It won't be that bad at $4.99!"
    Then I saw $19.99, a greyed-out 'Rent' button and said..."shit, oh well..how bad can it be??"

    I made a $15 mistake...
    My stupid shit is why they'll make more of these movies. Dumb shmucks who won't wait for rental (or abstain in good judgement).
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    For better or worse, the David trilogy must be completed. Yes it is flawed, but the show must go on.

    I think and hope we will get Ridley's origins story - something he want to explore since the first movie.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,013
    edited August 12
    Daemos wrote: »
    For better or worse, the David trilogy must be completed. Yes it is flawed, but the show must go on.

    It's the only reason to watch any more.
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,699 mod
    edited August 11
    I disagree about "must be completed". A figurative ton of far better media hasn't gotten the sequels they "deserved" just because they also lost money, which is what it ultimately comes down to regardless of quality.

    Similarly, the argument of "well, either Ridley Scott gets to conclude (fucking up) his own prequel trilogy or FOX gets to come in a reboot the Alien franchise" comes off as similarly false since there's a third, more sensible option of just leaving the franchise the fuck alone for a while. Granted, that's obviously not going to be chosen given since when has mankind ever gone with supposedly "common sense" and since when has it ever not given into short-sightedness and greed, but that option does exist rather than being forced to pick between two evils.

    Even for the people who do want to see this finished for whatever reason, which I vaguely understand, I think pretty much everyone agrees that Ridley Scott should take slightly more time and get his shit together before he makes the third movie. I mean, he supposedly wants to make six more movies about this? Haha. Nice joke.

    At the very least, the guy clearly needs to be reigned in and take sometime to think about what worked and what (horribly) failed since even he's probably not delusional enough at this point to realize he's not going to get more than one more shot at this, especially given how much he apparently misread what he thought people found wrong with Prometheus.

    Honestly, if we're rooting for utterly low standards now as far as Ridley Scott goes, then him being able to write an Alien prequel movie where all the characters aren't completely fucking idiotic would unfortunately be a huge step up from what we've gotten inflicted upon us thus far.

    (This reminds me quite literally the worst argument I've seen so far for Covenant's quality was a Youtube one on the Honest Trailers commentary for it that claimed that the characters needed to be as fucking stupid as they were to advance the plot. No...that's just lazy, bad writing, especially since all of these characters are supposedly "smart".)
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

    "Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 11
    The prequel trilogy was conceived as a 3 part story from the get go. We are not discussing the quality of the films, only the fact that the narrative must fulfill its potential. Not completing the David trilogy does more damage to the canon than doing the third film.

    Ridley deserves his film, and believe it or not many people loved Covenant and Prometheus. They are just not as loud as the detractors.

    Also, regarding your argument of stupid characters - All Characters in the franchise for the most part have been foolish starting with the very first one Kane. The only difference now is that the Audience knows what to expect but from an in universe perspective the rules havent changed. New character confronting new realities that can equally fascinate and arouse their curiousity yet still be incredibly stupid in retrospect.

    The writing couldve been better but remove your nostalgia glasses. Aside from Alien3, much of the characters and their dialogue in the franchise has been caricatures and stereotypes. The worst offenders being the cast of Aliens.
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 11
    The original trilogy was about Ripley bringing an end to the Alien species. The prequel trilogy is about David bring them (back?) into existence. It's a great dichotomy and I am happy it is this way. There is something very morbid about Ridley killing offf every potential Ripley-esque character. It's like he is saying, there is no Ripley but Ripley, watch me tear this wannabes apart.

    The David trilogy narratively is an excellent parallel to Ripley's story, sort of a dark mirror of the original story. Ripley wants to save the universe, and David wants to destroy it. It's a perfect idea with an imperfect execution.

    Fuck ya'll who want Aliens 2. You are the very reason why we can't have nice things. Go watch AvP and jerk off.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,013
    edited August 11
    chadouken! wrote: »
    Ripley is one of the only characters with any fucking sense in the entire franchise.
    You forgot Hicks and Bishop, but we forgive you.
    That's about it though.
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,035
    Heheh:

  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,013
    edited August 11
    Daemos wrote: »
    The original trilogy was about Ripley bringing an end to the Alien species. The prequel trilogy is about David bring them (back?) into existence.
    It's essential to close the loop. Without that closure, all of the prequels will mean nothing.
    Fuck ya'll who want Aliens 2. You are the very reason why we can't have nice things. Go watch AvP and jerk off.
    I agree with everything up to this. This last line is bullshit. I still think blomkamp wouldn't have fucked up as much as you assumed that he would.
    And um...Screw you for telling me to wank to that pile of shit called AvP :smiley:
  • The DamnedThe Damned Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken? Joined: Posts: 10,699 mod
    edited August 12
    (Sigh.)

    I apologize in advance for the amount of bold used, but given how intentionally obtuse Daemos is being despite refusing to agree to disagree, I feel that I have to even if I already know it wouldn't convince him. I just don't like my intentions getting twisted when they should be easy to understand.

    Daemos wrote: »
    The prequel trilogy was conceived as a 3 part story from the get go. We are not discussing the quality of the films, only the fact that the narrative must fulfill its potential. Not completing the David trilogy does more damage to the canon than doing the third film.

    I am aware of that this was meant to be a trilogy, as I have been for a while. That doesn't really change my mind at all, especially given it's rather arguable that the prequels as a whole have already done more to derail and countermand previously established canon to the point that a third movie wouldn't be able to fix it or, worse, make it even worse. To say nothing of the fact that I personally find the idea that he wants six more movies utterly laughable, especially at this point.

    Daemos wrote: »
    Ridley deserves his film, and believe it or not many people loved Covenant and Prometheus. They are just not as loud as the detractors.

    Again, we have to disagree here on that first sentence--a lot. I'm not even saying anything about Ridley as a director overall. I'm just saying that, at the very least, he should probably think slightly more about the third movie than he probably is given what became of Covenant and it's probably better if he just outright stops in my personal opinion.

    As for the rest of it, I have never said that some people don't like Covenant and Prometheus. I just pointed out that a) the majority of people don't and b) that this directly affected the amount of money both earned given poor word of mouth & bad reviews and c) thus affects the likelihood of the third movie getting made at all, "deserved" or not, given that money and profit is basically all the movie studios tend to care about because capitalism. That really shouldn't be as difficult to understand as you seem to make it.

    Daemos wrote: »
    Also, regarding your argument of stupid characters - All Characters in the franchise for the most part have been foolish starting with the very first one Kane. The only difference now is that the Audience knows what to expect but from an in universe perspective the rules havent changed. New character confronting new realities that can equally fascinate and arouse their curiousity yet still be incredibly stupid in retrospect.

    The writing couldve been better but remove your nostalgia glasses. Aside from Alien3, much of the characters and their dialogue in the franchise has been caricatures and stereotypes. The worst offenders being the cast of Aliens.

    Uh...what? Now you're back to not even making sense, especially since you're basically continuing to argue against something I'm not even arguing as crotchapuncha already pointed out. I never I wanted another Aliens, not that I would mind admittedly so long as it's, you know, good. I similarly never said that there were never stupid decisions in any of the other Alien movies because of course there were, especially in Aliens.

    The difference, which you're seemingly intentionally failing to grasp repeatedly, is that in the older movies, characters were usually called out on their stupidity in-movie by other characters whereas in the newer movies, everyone is a fucking moron, which thus makes this impossible because the writing is lazy and bad. You specifically bring up Aliens in your continuing to hate on it, which would be fine yet still annoying if you were making actually valid points, despite the fact that you ignore that Ripley in-movie literally tells them several times that the whole thing is a bad idea. That they get fucked up is because, guess what, they ignore that sound advice. At least, however, that advice was a) given in-movie by a character and b) the in-story reasons that it was ignored aren't based solely on stupidity, with her getting ignored in part due to the ignorance & arrogance of the space marines and in part due to Burke being an asshole who was ready to sacrifice everyone else anyway. After everything goes to shit in the initial ambush in Aliens, the "caricatures and stereotypes" as you call them at least try intelligent tactics; it's just they can't keep up with the onslaught, in part due to (greatly) outnumbered and in part due to, again, one of their own constantly sabotaging them.

    Sure, when it comes to sabotage, in Covenant you can say David fucking them over is a legitimate handicap, even if pretty much everyone except the idiots in-movie saw the switch coming and even if there was no really good valid reason to trust him as much anyway to begin with. Even with the David-handicap, that really doesn't change the fact that pretty much everyone else in the cast, in both Prometheus and Covenant, is a stone-cold moron who never does anything intelligent; hell, in Covenant, they do several extremely stupid things before David even shows up apparently. In fact, the cast of both repeatedly commit such basic fuck-ups despite being caricatures of supposedly smart scientists that it would be legitimately insulting to mentally handicapped people to call these worthless characters "retarded"; it's even worse, actually, that you're reducing Aliens to "stereotypical" characters when the stereotypical scientist is supposed to be smarter than stereotypical soldier and yet Prometheus & Covenant vs. Aliens is a horrible inversion of that since Hicks and Vasquez were at least smart. I mean, for starters, do we really need to go over the atmosphere issue in here again?

    All this pseudo-intellectual bullshit gets extremely tiresome and falls utterly flat when the newer movies can't even accurately portray how people of average intelligence would act in these situations, much less characters who are supposed to all be of above average intelligence yet act like they have a collective IQ that doesn't even break the double-digits.

    I would legitimately enjoy an intellectual Alien movie that actually asks interesting questions even if the cast was flat was it in these past two movies. The problem is that these are not them and the cast has been abominable on top of that. It's really difficult to carry about the plot for something, especially if it's supposedly full of "fascinating" queries, when you can't give a xenomorph's ass about any of the characters involved, in large because they're killing themselves off in the most stupid, easily avoidable ways and taking the most frustratingly dumb options repeatedly at every single decision point.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

    "Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,963
    I just drove to Best Buy to buy the Covenant blu-ray, but it doesn't come out until the 15th.

    Dammit!
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    chadouken! wrote: »
    I just drove to Best Buy to buy the Covenant blu-ray, but it doesn't come out until the 15th.

    Dammit!

    Bruh you're doing that DevilJin01 shit... Stop it.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 12
    No one here said they wanted Aliens, that's you lashing out for a hand hold to grasp onto.

    They said they wanted an intelligent story with smart characters. Neither of these movies fit either of these qualities.

    It's fine if you like two stupid movies, or even if you can look past the stupid and see some.of the smart, but it's dumb to expect others to ignore all the problems just because you.like the few smart moments in these movies.

    I am saying that NONE of the Alien movies are truly smart movies with smart characters. What made these films great was not their stories (which isnt to say that they were bad), it was their execution. The music, the visuals, the settings, and of course the enigmatic and horrifying Aliens. It was also every moment Sigourney fucking Weaver was on screen.

    All the films have been littered with stupid peripheral characters doing stupid shit. Trying to frame it as if the last fwo films are unique in their stupidity is utterly disingenuous.

    You want an intellectual Alien film, Why? You're barking up the wrong tree and you're judging the films for what they are not rather than what they actually are. The franchise is not intellectual (mostly). It is visceral. Prometheus and Covenant were more than capable of delivering potent auditory and visual cinematic moments just like their predecessors. Keyword being MOMENTS.

    If anything, Prometheus and Covenant are as "intellectual" as it got, and you see how that turned out. The most intellectul parts of the last two films has nothing to do with Byron or Shelly btw, those are nothing more than pseudo/intellectual red herrings. It's all the stuff that is not on screen and that is left unsaid, that is for you to ponder is what made these films intellectual. People don't like that though. They want shit spelt out for them.

    The fact that you're hung on crap like the 'atmosphere' only shows that you're missing the big picture and maybe Ridley's film just isn't for you.

    Like fuck, Are you gonna tell me next that FTL travel is ruining the films too?
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    jopamo wrote: »
    Daemos wrote: »
    The original trilogy was about Ripley bringing an end to the Alien species. The prequel trilogy is about David bring them (back?) into existence.
    It's essential to close the loop. Without that closure, all of the prequels will mean nothing.
    Fuck ya'll who want Aliens 2. You are the very reason why we can't have nice things. Go watch AvP and jerk off.
    I agree with everything up to this. This last line is bullshit. I still think blomkamp wouldn't have fucked up as much as you assumed that he would.
    And um...Screw you for telling me to wank to that pile of shit called AvP :smiley:

    Blomkamp is overrated bullshit. His new series of short films cement this fact even further. People need to stop blowing his dick and accept that Newt and Hicks are fucking dead and good riddance. Their death only made the dread of Alien3 more palpable and delicious I say.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,147
    Daemos wrote: »
    No one here said they wanted Aliens, that's you lashing out for a hand hold to grasp onto.

    They said they wanted an intelligent story with smart characters. Neither of these movies fit either of these qualities.

    It's fine if you like two stupid movies, or even if you can look past the stupid and see some.of the smart, but it's dumb to expect others to ignore all the problems just because you.like the few smart moments in these movies.

    I am saying that NONE of the Alien movies are truly smart movies with smart characters.
    Your wrong.

    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,013
    edited August 12
    Daemos wrote: »
    Old fart Ridley Scott, and his shitty Alien prequels are overrated bullshit.

    There. Fixed that for you.
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Daemos wrote: »
    No one here said they wanted Aliens, that's you lashing out for a hand hold to grasp onto.

    They said they wanted an intelligent story with smart characters. Neither of these movies fit either of these qualities.

    It's fine if you like two stupid movies, or even if you can look past the stupid and see some.of the smart, but it's dumb to expect others to ignore all the problems just because you.like the few smart moments in these movies.

    I am saying that NONE of the Alien movies are truly smart movies with smart characters.
    Your wrong.
    No, you're.

    @crucades Aliens is a great movie, and arguably one of the best sequels ever. But it was not a that great of an Alien movie.

    I prefer my Aliens upright, intelligent, calculated, and perfect - with just enough rape metaphors to make it terrifying. Otherwise, I'd go watch starship troopers. Weaver's performance, Bishop, the soundtrack, and the genius Queen saved that film from being another gungho military masturbation movie. Albeit a great one at that.


  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Y'all can bitch and moan about how retarded the prequel movies are BUT secretly...





    David fassbender makes you HARD.
    Look within yourselves...
    In space, no one can hear you--
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Damn this comic would've made a contained, but compelling full length Alien movie:

    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

    " Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,013
    tataa8P wrote: »
    Y'all can bitch and moan about how retarded the prequel movies are BUT secretly...





    David fassbender makes you HARD.
    Look within yourselves...
    In space, no one can hear you--

    whatever-floats-your-goat_o_485209.jpg
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 12
    Wasn't it obvious to you guys that no one was going to make it out of these prequels alive? The Prequel trilogy are akin to Rogue One more than they are to the prequel trilogy of Star Wars.

    No one is going survive this, and David in his artificial psychopathy will forge a variation of the Xenomorphs that is honed and refined for the specific purpose of exterminating any and all variations of humans - which includes us and all the Engineers. Ever wonder why the Facehugger fits the human face so perfectly? It isn't a coincidence, David has nothing but contempt for us, and the Engineers most likely. A space faring race that could not embrace oblivion so they go around the galaxy seeding it with different versions of themselves. In the Accelerant, David found quite literally the building blocks for the zenith of evolutionary biology, a biomechanical, self sustaining, and immortal creature the likes the universe have never seen. A perfect organism, the such that only a machine unclouded by the terror of time could recognize (See: David, Ash).

    I loved Shaw, but I understand why she had to die - I wish it was explored more in the film than in the blu-ray, but I get it. Her pursuit for answers motivated by her peurile faith was futile, David wanted to spare her the truth because he probably loved her (hence his "gift"), but he also offered her an escape - To be part of something that would effectively make her a God and she refused him (from David's perspective, it came from a place of love but he could not wrap his head around her reaction mostl likely). I also get why the crew of the Covenant all had to die too. These stupid humans were not meant to last, and the prequel trilogy shows us time and time again why and how they are stupid. They are irrational, emotional, and selfish. David alluded to this from the opening scene, and their strides towards immortality (whether it is the Engineers seeding worlds or Weyland wanting eternal life) were pathetic at best.

    David wills an end to this cycle. His communique to WY is bait, and his destruction of Planet 4 was bait. Once they come to him, he will be ready - or rather She will be ready. It was always about Her - the Queen, simultaneously the beginning and end of all things in the Alien universe. David knows this, and Ripley knew this. Everyone else in the franchise is expendable. No happy endings here, everything is bittersweet at best.
    Post edited by Daemos on
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You're talking about shit no one else is. It doesn't seem like anyone in here still talking about it cares about a happy ending or some shit, they just want less stupid characters
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 12
    Gasaraki wrote: »
    You're talking about shit no one else is. It doesn't seem like anyone in here still talking about it cares about a happy ending or some shit, they just want less stupid characters

    The stupidity of the characters in the Alien franchise is likely intentional, an expression of our flaws as a species time and time again. Ridley is not a stupid man, he's a fucking genius and a sci-fi aficionado (look up his show series Prophets of Science Fiction).

    No one knows how anyone of us would actually react in these circumstances if they were real, you think you do, but you don't. But in retrospect:

    Kane was dumb as fuck.
    Dallas was dumb as fuck.
    Burk was dumb as fuck.
    2D cardboard cut outs AKA soldiers were dumb as fuck.
    Prisoners on Fury 161 were dumb as fuck (hell one of them actually began worshipping the Alien at some point in the film)
    Auriga scientists? Dumb. As. Fuck.
    No comment on all the dumb as fuck characters in Prometheus and Covenant.

    In spite of all the warnings from Ripley, and all the history archived in WY's database. Humans (and Engineers) in their greed, recklessness, foolishness, all perished.

    Characters that were not dumb as fuck:

    Ripley
    David
    Ash
    Mother
    Call
    Bishop I
    Hicks (only for his suggestion to take off and nuke everything)
    Dillon (for actually fucking listening to Ripley and recognizing that they need to do what needs to be done even if they all die)
    Janek (for his sacrifice)
    Newt


    So take off your rose tinted glasses. The message of the Alien franchise is clear - Humans ('mostly') deserve to die. The Engineers wanted us dead even, but that's besides the point because they clearly deserve to die too. We are all stupid shits, sinners if you will and the Aliens are the answer, the Antichrist, the Beast, the Dragon, and Ripley is our salvation. She will die for our sins.

    Prometheus, Covenant, Alien, Alien3, and even Alien Resurrection all built around and made use of these religious themes and motifs, some more blatantly than others. Aliens is the one that sticks out like a sore thumb, but Ridley will make sense of it and bring it into the fold with the next film.


    If none of this makes sense to you, then you can't see the forest for the trees, and you should probably stick to lighter sci fi shit like Starship Troopers or Star Wars.
  • GasarakiGasaraki Joined: Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    See, once again, dumb shit because you keep assuming. Humans can still be shown to be flawed pieces of shit and not completely dumb, and still die in a horror movie. Just because it didn't happen in other Alien movies doesn't mean it can't happen

    And what the hell are you even talking about rose tinted glasses for? It's amazing how much you just fucking assume.
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Gasaraki wrote: »
    See, once again, dumb shit because you keep assuming. Humans can still be shown to be flawed pieces of shit and not completely dumb, and still die in a horror movie. Just because it didn't happen in other Alien movies doesn't mean it can't happen

    Sure it can happen, but probably not in this franchise any time soon. So why be disappointed or make a big deal out of it? Ridley forged the Alien mold, and he is sticking to it more or less. He deviates too far people get pissed, too close and people still get pissed. The only thing that pisses me off truly about the new trilogy is how much better they could've been if the viral marketing footage that serve as a prologue were included in one way or another in the theatrical releases. Especially Covenant, that had a very rushed middle act sadly.

    The deleted scenes for the most part I understand why they were deleted and I enjoy them for what they are, but I don't think they would've improved the films much.

  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,963
    I thought Ron Perlman was pretty smart in Resurrection.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
  • DaemosDaemos Queen Bitch of the Universe Joined: Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    chadouken! wrote: »
    I thought Ron Perlman was pretty smart in Resurrection.

    Yes you're right. He's excellent, and one of the few saving graces of that film. <3