Tales of Dark & Light: The SNK storylines-Revived

Comments

• ssj2shingohanssj2shingohan Don't drop the oil Joined: Posts: 54
    Terry and Ryo are slightly behind them, or about Ken's level in SF.
    For the 100th time can someone please tell me what "Dues Ex Machina" means. A translation please?
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Originally posted by ssj2shingohan
    Terry and Ryo are slightly behind them, or about Ken's level in SF.

Not really.

Terry is obviously the stronger of the two, having defeated Geese twice and Krauser.

YET, neither is anywhere close to Ryu's overall strength.

Neither is Ken.

Terry COULD BE but he had to take care of Rock affecting his own training.

Ryo likewise has been distracted and DID NOT train extremely hard.

YET, all three are good fighters and extremely powerful in their own right.
  • smashzsmashz Joined: Posts: 68
    Is kof a dream match? Kof 94 was called "dream match" and kof 96 was called "battle of dream teams", but after that I did not see anything about that subject.
    Originally posted by smashz
    Is kof a dream match? Kof 94 was called "dream match" and kof 96 was called "battle of dream teams", but after that I did not see anything about that subject.

The only 'dream match' I'm aware of is the one that follows the battle against Orochi.
    Originally posted by tsj76
    For the 100th time can someone please tell me what "Dues Ex Machina" means. A translation please?

Latin/Greek? for God from (the) Machine.

Critics basically use it to say "the author pulled shit from his ass, trying make something happen."

An example would be Hinako defeating Geese, WITH A SUDDEN POWER BURST FROM NOWHERE! Hinako wins!
    i explained deus ex machna over in the fighting game discussions. give me a minute and i'll find it.

98 is the only dream match
    i explained it to you in the gill vs. orochi thread:

"tsj:

deus ex machina = "hand of god"

it originated in those ancient greek dramas by guys like sophocles and aeschylus (sp). basically, the conflict is resolved without the help of the hero, god(s) intervened to solve the problem. actually, the greek plays i've read don't have this problem (many consider it to be a weakness in a drama), but this is what i've heard.

if anyone wants to correct me, feel free"
    Kof 94 is cleary called Dream match in some advertisings, You can see one of them in www.vgmuseum.com.
    I think you did not understand my post. Kof 98 is a dream match, so what happens there has no effect in the kof timeline. If kof is a dream match, this means that what happens in the kof tournments like Terry losing has no effect in the storyline of AoF/FF. When did you see anything from kof appears in a aof or ff game?
  • SaikiSaiki Joined: Posts: 99
    Kyo, Chang and Choi have all appeared in Fatal Fury.
    i see what you mean now. the reason why they called kof 94 a dream match because it was supposed to be AOF versus FF with a few other SNK characters thrown in (the ikari, USA and China teams had featured characters who had appeared in other SNK games).

what they were saying is that this is the first time these characters have ever been in the same game together (like robert & andy, just as an example). i guess that's where the 'dream' comes from because it was such a novel idea to combine all these characters into one game

but 94 is not a dreammatch the same way 98 is; that is, whatever happened in 94 matters in the SNK universe, but whatever happened in 98 has no effect (like rugal's return)
    To tool_28: Ok, You probably are right.

But Kyo, Chang and Choi only appeared in cameos and cameos are nothing storylinewise, so they never appeared in a fatal fury
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar The Grumpy Surly One Joined: Posts: 1,092
    Actually, cameos only mean nothing in Capcom's world. They may very well mean a lot in the SNK universe ('may' being the imperative word, but still...). Capcom has a reputation for tons of pointless cameos that have no chance of being canon (and even then, it's mostly restricted to just Street Fighter Alpha 2), but I can't think of any cameos in the SNK world that contradict anything, and there has been quite a few of them throughout the various SNK games.
    Mai appears in Samurai Shodown and Hanzo in fatal fury 2, so cameos mean nothing. Kof has a lot of cameos, like Geese, Mr.big and all their "friends" in Mexico 94's stage.
    Todoh, who is supposed to be missing, appears in all kof until 96... So they mean nothing...
    I always wondered if that was just easter egg appearances, or if in fact SNK was actually trying to imply something and that Mai in Samurai Shodown was an ancestor to Fatal Fury's Mai Shiranai. Since Gen-An fights her and Gen-An's full name is Gen-An Shiranai...

Also, I know that there is a guy named Hanzo who is a member of Mai's ninja clan in Fatal Fury. Wonder if they made him look exactly like Hanzo of Samurai Shodown and that's the guy in the Fatal Fury 2 cameo along the same veins as the 'Mai' that cameo'd back in Samurai Shodown.

Guess won't know for sure. It's rather strange. I dunno about Geese and co in KOF 94 and Todo in future KOFs since I don't know enough about the SNK story to comment about how contradictory that is. :sweat:
    here's a quicky:

are igniz, original zero and clone krizalid dead? igniz is probably dead, but the other two are another issue, since they should have been with Long, and Ron escaped alive.
    clone Krizalid? The Krizalid that appeared in KOF2K1 is the same as the Krizalid in KOF99. It said in his bio that was released. Dunno how thats possible since he did die in KOF99. But then characters dying don't mean much since we've had more than one character come back from the dead. (Geese, Rugal, Nash, etc, etc)
    Whew! For a minute there, I actually thought SNK did a clone of a clone of a clone thing with Krizalid. I was always wondering what was up with him. Though... wow, wonder why there's no special intro with him and whip or any dialogue or... anything Oo Strange strange SNK Playmore...
    in lantis' FAQ he says that 2001 krizalid is a clone twice: in his bio and in the 2001 plot.

here's the 2001 storyline bit:
    "Another shocking revelation is shown as Krizalid, the advanced
    clone of K' who was thought to have died 2 years ago, appears aside the true Zero. Zero had retrieved the remaining data of the Krizalid project to create another clone of the late NESTS agent"

and in his bio:
    "Two years later, Zero, Krizalid's superior and the one who had punished him for his mistake, once again resorted to the Krizalid project data and created another clone that would help him in his fight against the winners of the King of Fighters tournament. This Krizalid clone no longer had any self-consciousness, but only a zombie-like will to obey his master and destroy his enemies, a mere shadow of what Krizalid once was"

perhaps lantis' FAQ is not as legit as i thought?

tiamat: krizalid couldn't have any special intros because he's striker only
    how old are vice & athena? i've always wanted to know.
    oh God, an KOF storyline thread!:)
    LOL. I meant, a dialogue between Whip and Zero about him or... something when you fight Original Zero :p

I believe Lantis' FAQ is made up of conjecture that he could garner by playing the game. It's as legit as... well, a plot FAQ which you could make just by looking at the games. The problem being, as all these official sources and experience by now have shown me, there are many interpretations of an in-game storyline which differs from what really happened, and there are cases where there's stuff that happened that's nearly impossible to gleam from the games.

In all honesty, one of the main reasons the Street Fighter plot guide is remotely dependable is thanks to Saiki and his ability to understand Japanese (though there have been many other contributors, too, of course). I suppose in the end, it's all up to knowing Japanese, since the American companies are giving us jack squat for information -_-
    Originally posted by vice3005
    how old are vice & athena? i've always wanted to know.

athena = 18
    i think vice was in her mid 20's when she died

so are zero, krizalid & igniz dead? obviously not a quicky...
  • Pained AuronPained Auron teh cock of justice Joined: Posts: 2,098
    hey i got a question. who is k? i mean is he a clone or is someone cloned from him? that damn clone story got me hella confused.
    R.I.P. Brian Graham aka Mummy-B 3-28-82 - 8-25-04
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
    Originally posted by g0ku3x
    hey i got a question. who is k? i mean is he a clone or is someone cloned from him? that damn clone story got me hella confused.

here's my interpretation. It's probably off in some places, but I think i got overall story:

after NESTS got Kyo, they examined his DNA and found out what combination of proteins gave him his flame abilities. They took that information and decided to change the DNA of another human being: K'. Since K' is just a pawn, they figured they could do whatever they want to him. So they went ahead and gave him the flames, but he needs a glove to keep it in check. He has no memory of his past.
    i heard that he can control his flames now. one more question is krizalid his clone? i thought i read that in the hreo team ending in kof99.
    with blood and rage of crimson red..ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.together with our hellish hate.we'll burn you all-THAT IS YOUR FATE
    1. yes, he got rid of his glove at the end of 2000

2. yes, krizalid is his clone
    Originally posted by tool_028
    1. yes, he got rid of his glove at the end of 2000

2. yes, krizalid is his clone

thanks for the info man
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ah yes...AOF 2...some game, eh? First you get that spiffy comment by Geese (that he's gonna kill Jeff Bogard in order to attain complete control of Southtown), making you believe that AOF 2 indeed takes place about at least 10 years before FF1 happens. Then you get Eiji Kisaragi who is in love with Mai, who (according to the same timeline) must have been just a kid by then. Now, I don't know if Eiji has a thing for little girls, but don't you think that AOF 2 is just screwy in itself? I mean, most of the endings are complete jokes (John Crawley, Temjin, Lee Pailong and Jack Turner's are no better proof), and those which are serious contradict one another.

Let's say SNK pulled out a SFA 3 regarding AOF 2...confirm some things, deny others. Confirmed: AOF 2 = first KOF, Ryo = first champion. Denied: Any involvement Geese had in the whole story. I mean, in the whole KOF series, did you ever here any of the AOF cast mention Geese whatsoever (aside from Mr. Big), even when he entered KOF '96? Come on, at least that should have sparked a reaction by Ryo and co. (Like "Hey Geese! You escaped last time but now I'm gonna get ya!"), but not quite. So, with Geese out of the AOF 2 picture, you could place AOF 2 wherever you saw it fit in the SNK timeline, and in this case, I think they placed it a few years before FF 1 so the ages could match.

Ummm...maybe I'm not making much of a point here, but let's put it this way: Geese was involved in AOF 2 and suddenly he isn't, for story sake.

By the way...about rewriting the FAQ...it just might happen. But I need Saiki to help me out here! What other info have you found in that book that I don't know yet? I gotta know....now.... ;)
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
    alright, somebody revived this~!

so let me get this straight: originally, AOF took place a decade before FF. Geese orders Takuma to kill jeff, but he refuses, so geese has Mr. Big kidnap Yuri and force Takuma to don the tengu mask. geese would go ahead and kill jeff himself.

in AOF 2, either geese or Big sets up the first ever KOF tournament as a way to get revenge against the sakazakis, and ryo wins the tourney.

when KOF 1994 came out, they moved the AOF storyline forward in time several years so that the characters wouldn't be too old. One of the major problems that arose was geese / jeff plotpoint. jeff died a while before FF1, so moving AOF forward screwed that up, right?

EDIT: just as a reminder...

1. is 2001 krizalid a clone or not?

2. are krizalid, zero & igniz dead?
    Who killed Jeff Bogard!? Takuma or Geese!?

I heard at some forums that Geese used Takuma to kill Jeff but in FF story we all know that Geese killed Jeff... Also If Jeff was a great fighter then how in the he lost to Geese/Takuma...
    2k1's Krizalid's official bio states that he is NOT a clone. How that works out is beyond me. What's his motive? Why is he back with NESTS when they backstabbed him? Does he still care about Whip? Was he brainwashed into submission (He has a very empty look in his eyes in the 2k1 ending cinemas...). Weird.

Did he survive? Did the others? Who knows? :confused:
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Knight of Knowledge Joined: Posts: 270
    Lantis: Ummm, since when is Eiji in love with Mai? I think you've read a certain lemon fanfic a little too much...
    tool_028: I've heard some rumors going on that Takuma DID resort to entering the criminal organization by his own will following several months of depression from the death of his wife, Ronnet. So, he entered Geese's organization like some sort of hitman, but since he still had some honor left, he didn't want to show his face out of shame for his actions. So, he donned the tengu mask and named himself "Mr. Karate". Then, he returns to the path of justice after AOF 1.

But, no matter how screwed the facts are in AOF, one fact still remains constant: Takuma did NOT kill Jeff. If Geese hasn't killed Jeff by the end of AOF 2, how could have Takuma did it when he had already broken ties with Geese's crime syndicate? So, the definite answer is: no, Takuma never killed Jeff. In fact, I think Takuma holds Jeff in high regard.

"Jeff must be crying in heaven!"
    -Takuma Sakazaki to Garou Team in KOF '94

I thought Geese was always a better fighter than Jeff, but he used his power for the wrong purposes. I think kinda like the Akuma-Gouken case.

2001 Krizalid not a clone? News to me. NESTS must have really done a severe brainwashing to him if they did revive him, because I doubt Krizalid would trust his superiors after they eliminated him. As a matter of fact, Krizalid in 2001 barely talks or does anything, which should support the theory that Krizalid was revived only to become a mindless minion.

Siegfried: It's true! In Eiji's ending for AOF 2, he says that he must train and keep on fighting, but never fall in love. Then he says "Good night Mai Shiranui. Wherever you are!". Here's the link:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/neogeo/a/aof2eiji.htm
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
    http://galactica-phantom.iscrappy.com/

You mean this site? Guess where the information came from. :P
  • Golden DragonGolden Dragon Joined: Posts: 872
    yeah, that be the one. Where did the info come from?
    Ok I just wanna know what the symbol on Eiji's back means for!
    Originally posted by Golden Dragon
    yeah, that be the one. Where did the info come from?

Look at the poster above my my post before :P
    Random thought:

What if Eiji being in love with and mentioning Mai Shiranai was something that SNK of America added to his AOF2 ending?

Lord knows that they butchered the Iori Vice Mature Goenitz dialogue... :bluu:
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    Random thought:

What if Eiji being in love with and mentioning Mai Shiranai was something that SNK of America added to his AOF2 ending?

Lord knows that they butchered the Iori Vice Mature Goenitz dialogue... :bluu:

Yeah, but that dialogue was mistranslated in somewhat of a funny way. I mean, changing the whole "I used them as pawns!" part for "They can't even keep their virginity!" was sort of hilarious. :D

But Eiji's dialogue wasn't. I don't doubt there's something screwy with the translation there, since well, AOF 2 is practically fed up with it (hence the Robert/Mr. Big dialogue misconception). I guess we can only rely on Saiki here (again).
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
    Eiji being in love with Mai is made up by SNK USA. Here's Eiji's real ending in AOF2

Kyokugenryu Karate........an art not even worthy of my time. My fists/art is superior in the heavens and earth. Anyone who will surpass men, I shall destroy them,
    My path is the path of the Shura. To walk the path that I believe in .

And another thing, SNK has said that Geese was involved in AOF2/KOF. He actually fought and was beaten by Ryo(barely). Geese and Ryo met and Geese was beating Ryo bad. Then Geese chllenged Ryo to do his Ryuuko ranbu while Geese would counter with the Deadly Rave. Ryo's Ryuuko ranbu broke the Deadlt Rave and Ryo won.

Krizalid was working for Clone Zero and he knew that the whole time. When clone Zero tried to kill him, Original Zero came and saved his life. After that, Kriz pledged his allegence to Original Zero. Also in 2k1, Kriz's profile slightly changed. For his "hates the most" it's become "people with a certain mustache"
    Krizalid was working for Clone Zero and he knew that the whole time. When clone Zero tried to kill him, Original Zero came and saved his life. After that, Kriz pledged his allegence to Original Zero. Also in 2k1, Kriz's profile slightly changed. For his "hates the most" it's become "people with a certain mustache"

Well that's pretty stupied, they show in KOF 99 that Krizalid was killed then how come OZ helped him!!!
    ...wow, and people say that a lot of Street Fighter's storyline takes place out of game. Krizalid being saved by Original Zero I would have never guessed :eek:

That's hilarious about the mustache thing, though :p

Ah, that means he isn't brainwashed then. But... I wonder what he's doing now. Seems like a waste to not have him talk with Whip again now or... something. I dunno. Just would be strange to leave him hanging around, but then again, maybe he's dead after KOF2k1 after all.
    Originally posted by Saiki

wow, thanks a lot, saiki.

would you happen to know if OZ, krizalid and igniz are dead?
    On a random side note, considering that Krizalid dies in every ending and there are several endings which specifically has the corpse so you can't even say "It was a 'if you don't see the corpse, they ain't dead!' thing!"....

Wow, I guess SNK really DOES like to retroactively change storylines a bunch, too.
    this thread kinda died~:(

what is the story of the last blade series? here's what i know:

in LB1, kagami, one of the guardians of the gates of hell, tries to destroy humanity by opening the gates of hell. Kaede, another guardian, successfully defeats him.

in LB2, hell is still 'open' and it is up to kaede and yuki to seal in with the sealing rite and the sealing maiden. with hell open, creatures like setsuna are able to escape and run amok. the other 2 guardians of the gates are shigen and okina

what's the deal with moriya? is he iori to kaede's kyo?

EDIT: thought of some more things.

i skimmed through lantis' fatal fury plot FAQ, and i noticed that at the end of 'ambition', he writes that jeff was once the "king of fighters". is this true?

also, i'm not completely sure as to what games correspond to what chapters. is this right?

1. ambition - FF1
    2. Pride - FF2
    3. Immortality - FF3
    4. Sorrow - ????
    5. Rebirth - FF4 (MOTW)

1. ambition - FF1
    2. Pride - FF2
    3. Immortality - FF3
    4. Sorrow - RBFF
    5. Rebirth - FF4 (MOTW)

:)
    this thread kinda died~:(

what is the story of the last blade series? here's what i know:

in LB1, kagami, one of the guardians of the gates of hell, tries to destroy humanity by opening the gates of hell. Kaede, another guardian, successfully defeats him.

in LB2, hell is still 'open' and it is up to kaede and yuki to seal in with the sealing rite and the sealing maiden. with hell open, creatures like setsuna are able to escape and run amok. the other 2 guardians of the gates are shigen and okina

what's the deal with moriya? is he iori to kaede's kyo?

Moriya trained under the orders of Gaisei (who also happens to be the last boss of LB 2, Kouryu, only that he is possessed by some spirit of evil), along with Kaede and Yuki. Moriya was such an advanced swordsman, that he even taught Kaede and Yuki some things as well.

One day, Moriya returned to his dojo to find his master Gaisei near death (pre-LB 1). Gaisei urges him to find Kagami and thwart his evil ambition. Gaisei dies, and in that moment, Kaede and Yuki arrive. Kaede thinks Moriya killed Gaisei. Even though he knows he's innocent, Moriya doesn't say anything: he just leaves in search of Kagami. Kaede is pissed because he thinks Moriya killed Gaisei, but Moriya knows it's not true...he just doesn't seem to give two pieces of shit what Kaede thinks.

I also think Yuki has a thing for Moriya, while Kaede is apparently in love with Yuki. Kinda nice love triangle, eh? :D

About Jeff Bogard: I was referring to him being the top fighter in Southtown before Geese killed him.

*summons Athena striker 29201 times to revive this topic* :D
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
    What is Setsuna's owl name!?
    Originally posted by Dark LordDragon
    What is Setsuna's owl name!?

I think it doesn't have a name...I think... :confused: