Tales of Dark & Light: The SNK storylines-Revived

Comments

• SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,039 mod
    Hey, snkneoshingo2k4 - My Brother with the Scanner is on Vacation this week, so I'm gonna try to send you the Shingo Scans when he comes back. Later - sano.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    god dam it why was i not informed about this thread! hmm anyway whats this i hear about geese in kof03?
    i never understood what snk were doing with him one mintue his dead then his alive and so on, im guessing his back now?
    Yea does any1 have any details on those shady charcters in the ending? sano is it that mook? are they the new orochi bloodline or something?
    i remember it showing a picture of chris FOD and the other 2 so thats why i figure those others must be a new group of the same sort.
    hopefully this saga will be as good as the 1st one.
    HOLY CRAP! SOMEONE POSTED ON THIS THREAD! sano fients...

Didn't I already answer what's up with Geese to you in the SF Comics forum? He's alive in KOF and he's dead everywhere else. KOF is in it's own continuity.

I can't read the Mook so I dunno...

And the rest of your questions should be fielded by SNK experts, storyline experts. AKA people who have loooong abandoned this thread... Try sending Lantis a Private Message.
    yea you did answer that sorry, what i meant is what exactly is he up to this time in kof universe storywise.
    Anyway its all good, yea i guess i site for SF wouldnt get much love for SNK hence this thread faded away. :sad:
    yea ill try hittin up lantis with a PM if his still around.
    Anyhow thanks for your help. :tup:
    you know, Gesse was supposed to die in RB:FF right? But as I remember, in Kim's ending, we see him meeting Chang and Chen for the first time (or at least before/during KOF 95/95 as they are in their prisoner outfit)... And gesse returned in KOF 96 with his own "boss" team, hence chronologically, Gesse isn't dead at all as KOF 96 overrides RB:FF... and Garou is yet to occur so we can suppose that Gesse's death is still a long way ahead...
    ryu_5141 wrote:
    you know, Gesse was supposed to die in RB:FF right? But as I remember, in Kim's ending, we see him meeting Chang and Chen for the first time (or at least before/during KOF 95/95 as they are in their prisoner outfit)... And gesse returned in KOF 96 with his own "boss" team, hence chronologically, Gesse isn't dead at all as KOF 96 overrides RB:FF... and Garou is yet to occur so we can suppose that Gesse's death is still a long way ahead...

Read the seventh and eighth posts on this page that I wrote.

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83089&page=2
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hey guys! I'm still working on my KOF story FAQ rewriting as I speak...to type the whole damn thing again is CRAZY! :wow: Work isn't letting me advance as much as I wanted to, but I'm hanging out.

Hey Saiki, are ya still around here? I need you to tell me if RB 2 really IS canon or not...I just can't see it as canon, but who knows....

Grrrr...and I just found out someone just completely dissed my FAQ! :mad: Those duds at SvC.com sure do know how to enfuriate me. :tdown:
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
    Lantis wrote:
    Hey guys! I'm still working on my KOF story FAQ rewriting as I speak...to type the whole damn thing again is CRAZY! :wow: Work isn't letting me advance as much as I wanted to, but I'm hanging out.

Hey Saiki, are ya still around here? I need you to tell me if RB 2 really IS canon or not...I just can't see it as canon, but who knows....

Grrrr...and I just found out someone just completely dissed my FAQ! :mad: Those duds at SvC.com sure do know how to enfuriate me. :tdown:

Saiki hasn't been spotted around here in a long time. The last time I saw him was over at Gamefaqs talking about the NGBC Beta test over at the NGBC Boards. Maybe you can try there?

Anyway, glad to know you're working on updating the Faq again. :smile:
    Hey thanks for enlightening me on the subject sano-san... Arigato godaimas...

Oh and BTW... Gr8 work with the Faq Lantis..
  • dummyfacedummyface Fatal Fury > SF Joined: Posts: 190
    I allways viewed The Fatal Fury story line like this.
    FF1-> FF2-> RB2-> FF3-> RB.
    Garou ties in crap from KoF so it does not work in the Fatal Fury timeline.
    Of all the motherfuckers on earth, you're the motherfuckest.
    XBL - Doc128c
    so is the SNK storyline SS-> LB->AoF->FF->GAROU with KOF throwing everything off continuity since geese is alive and the characters dont age to an extent. or do Samurai Showdown and last Blade occur at the same time
    Samurai Spirits takes place first when the age of the samurai is in full swing. Last Blade takes place in the 1800s towards the end of the age of the samurai.
    another question if b jenet is in kof XI should we expect rock, marco( i refuse to call him butt), kevin, kain, freeman to be in the next one. KoF is really screwing up the storyline. Damn it SNKPlaymore just make another fatal fury linking garou to the rest of the series. Since Samurai spirits is the last Samurai showdown game.
    Well, everyone wants Mark of the Wolves 2, hopefully they'll deliver some day, or even a new AOF would be cool(though I don't think too many people would want this). After KOF XI they are supposed to take a 2 year 2D KOF break, (but supposed to doesn't mean they'll actually do it) so chances are there will be another KOF MI and maybe that will free them up to give us a 2D fighter that's not KOF, Samsho or a crossover game, but who knows. For me it almost seems like the expectations for MOTW 2 are too high at this point for them to actually make the game, but we'll see.

But yeah, I expect more MOTW characters to show up in future KOFs. And I really like the new teams in KOF XI, the teams should of been shaken up this much years ago IMHO. Kyo, Iori and Shingo team, too good!
    I stumbled upon this forum almost by accident when I was trying to look for a copy of RB: Dominated Minds game (so I can use the little info I can get from it to use in my version of the FF/AoF/KoF storyline). So, I was trying to sort stuff and determine what is canon or not. I dished through a bunch of info and still feel a bit empty handed. But enough about me

As far as Im concerned I want to say these titles are canon within the KoF continuity:

1982 Art of Fighting 2 (w/o Ryo, Robert, Yuri, Ryuhaku, and King)

1992 Art of Fighting
    Fatal Fury - King of Fighters '92 (Ended August 13)

1993 Fatal Fury 2 - King of Fighters '93 (Ended May 15)

1994 King of Fighters '94

1995 King of Fighters '95
    Fatal Fury 3

1996 Art of Fighting 3
    King of Fighters '96

1997 King of Fighters: Kyo
    King of Fighters '97

1998 Real Bout: Fatal Fury (RB1-2; Special; & Dominated Minds)
    King of Fighters EX: Neo Blood

1999 King of Fighters '99

2000 King of Fighters '00

2001 King of Fighters '01

2002 King of Fighters EX2: Blood Howling
    *King of Fighters: Maximum Impact 1 & 2; Another Day OVA (if at all canon)

2003 King of Fighters '03

200X King of Fighters XI

2008 Garou: Mark of the Wolf

My thoughts on how and why Geese is alive are these:
    - RB: Supposedly he did use the scroll of Jin (which is suppose to be a scroll of immortality, right) but maybe it only granted him a one-time only deal or something; or it possibly even cursed him and his bloodline (somewhat explaining why Rock can hardly control his powers in Garou)
    And also, probably to explain when he came back could be during the Dominated Mind episode since it makes sense that someone would want to fill the void that Geese left and that someone would be White. Now, whether or not Alfreds granddad was killed by White or kidnapped, I doubt the kid would kill him. I would think that Geese probably came back, killed White and went back underground with Billy.
    - EX: Geese is back and this is the first mention of Gaia in any KoF game, that (and the fact that Geese is alive) is why I consider the EX series canon. Also the games were done by the same people who worked on KoF 99 and 00 from what I looked at the credits. ::shrugs::
    - MI: The only reason I believe that this game series is canon is because it explains that (sadly enough) without Geese running things, the gangs and crime syndicates are really running amuck in Southtown (even after everything got blown to smitherns in 00).

Im pretty sure these arent enough evidence without SNK coming out and saying, Yes, this did happen! I wonder if that new book (The King of Fighters * Perfect Reader) they have out will answer any questions to the KoF storyline.

Also, I heard that the MI series is supposed to take over the FF/AoF series franchise. Its just a rumor so far.

I wonder if the Updated Garou for PS2 will come stateside; and also, I wonder if they tweaked the storyline so that the characters at least recognize each other (Since Tizoc, B. Jenet and Gato are now full-timers in the KoF stories).

Also, I managed to find translated text of three of the team stories in KoF XI here. Also within that website there's suppose to be tracks from the KoF '96 Drama CD (but you have to become a registered member and it appears that the tracks aren't available for download at the moment) and I'm wondering if the Drama CDs would be considered canon too (since the Guilty Gear Drama CDs are canon to that game's storyline).

Anyway, if any of your have access to any KoF info Id like to hear it. The more I get the better I get an understanding of whats going on and when it happened so I can write this story (as large as it might be).
  • dummyfacedummyface Fatal Fury > SF Joined: Posts: 190
    The KoF story is NOT related to the time lines if Art of Fighting & Fatal Fury.
    Of all the motherfuckers on earth, you're the motherfuckest.
    XBL - Doc128c
  • KatakiKataki Yare yare daze Joined: Posts: 154
    Can someone please post a link to a place where I can find correct bios for all SNK characters?
  • KataklysmicKataklysmic More Tigers! Joined: Posts: 959
    So now that KOF XI is finally out (my arcade actually got it last weekend to my surprise), does anyone know the bios for the newcomers? I'm especially interested in Oswald and Elisabeth.
    And is there ANY info on WHY Ash is screwing with Kyo and Iori? He took Chizuru's power in 2k3, although I can't tell if she survived or not, and I heard from somewhere that this time he steals Iori's power after he goes R.O.B. and beats Kyo.

And also, did SNK buy the rights to World Heroes and Aggressors of Dark Kombat, now that characters in said games are in NGBC?
    " Scrubs keep our community alive, not top players, everyone (even myself at times) seem to forget that."
    - Arturo Sanchez, aka Sabin
    hinted in kyo-iori-shingo's team ending.... and later ash is shown with purple flames in the elizabeth-benimaru-duo lon ending...
    Oookay, I'm getting bored again so I'll ask another tier question. About Athena.

She's supposed to be the reincarnation of a Greek goddess, but strangely, even though Athena's the goddess of victory, she hasn't won a single KOF tourney to date! :rofl:

So how good is this ridiculous monstrosity of a character?
    " Scrubs keep our community alive, not top players, everyone (even myself at times) seem to forget that."
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,781 mod
    Oookay, I'm getting bored again so I'll ask another tier question. About Athena.

She's supposed to be the reincarnation of a Greek goddess, but strangely, even though Athena's the goddess of victory, she hasn't won a single KOF tourney to date! :rofl:

So how good is this ridiculous monstrosity of a character?

Actually, Nike is the ("primary") goddess of victory. Pallas Athena/Minvera is the goddess of wisdom and a lot of other things--it's possible that one of them is victory since I vaguely remember one of them being combat related, but I don't think it is.

Anyway, Athena Asamiya is supposedly really strong, like she has the potential to beast Kyo if she trained like Kensou. Notice all the conditionals. Based on the pure power that has now, she's still relatively strong, probably during well enough to make her fanbase even larger over the years. However, even with all the new techniques she's made along with her various new costumes changes, she probably hasn't tried to use nearly as much of her potential when it comes to fighting as Kensou has, who has improved by leaps and bounds, even in just the course of one year. (Given that he's supposedly trained all of the year that KOF 2003 happened, which somewhat implies that KOF XI takes place in 2004.)

I blame it on her pop star career personally.

*cracks knuckles*

It's time for me to finally start getting active around here.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    Okay, some Samurai Shodown questions:

1) Which of the two Asuras is the real one, Slash or Bust?
    And which one had a love affair with Shiki?

2) Amakusa gets split into two versions, one good and one evil, the former which you get to play in SSIV. Do they ever merge back together for SSV, and in turn, SSI and II?

The good Amakusa would probably detest merging with the evil one given the "good" implication, but paradoxically, in one of his SSIV win quotes, he says "When will I become whole?" That indicates that he isn't powerful enough. And his "evil" side would need all the power he could get if he wanted to use Mizuki in SSII, right?
  • Sheng-LongSheng-Long Joined: Posts: 1,419
    Hi, maybe somebody can help me sort some things out regarding the Fatal Fury storyline.

1.) Is it known how old Terry and Andy were when Jeff Bogard was killed? Approx. year or age? If Andy was in Japan, where did Terry go? Was he raised and trained by Tung fu Rue?

2.) How did Terry end up adopting Rock? Was Geese taking Care of him when Geese died? or were Geese and his wife separated at that time?

3.) Does Rock know of Geese Howard at all or what he did? or is he ignorant of his family history until the encounter with Kain?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just really interested in the storyline I am trying to write a fan fic right now (script format instead of novel/short story, but I want to make it in comic book format). Thanks in advance.

Slash Asura seems to be the authentic one, since that is the version SNK has used to refer to him in every game after SS 64 (Warriors' Rage and NGBC), which means that he is also Mikoto's father (Slash Asura appears alongside Shiki in Mikoto's ending for WR).

2) Amakusa gets split into two versions, one good and one evil, the former which you get to play in SSIV. Do they ever merge back together for SSV, and in turn, SSI and II?

The good Amakusa would probably detest merging with the evil one given the "good" implication, but paradoxically, in one of his SSIV win quotes, he says "When will I become whole?" That indicates that he isn't powerful enough. And his "evil" side would need all the power he could get if he wanted to use Mizuki in SSII, right?

Well, SS IV comes before II in the timeline and after I and III, that much is certain. So basically the Amakusa that appears in SS II (who breaks the seal that was imposed on him at the end of SS IV) is mostly Hanzo's son in control.
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
    Sheng-Long wrote:
    1.) Is it known how old Terry and Andy were when Jeff Bogard was killed? Approx. year or age? If Andy was in Japan, where did Terry go? Was he raised and trained by Tung fu Rue?

The FF timeline indicates that FF 1 took place in 1991. Terry and Andy were born around 1973, which would make them be around 18 years old by the time the events of FF 1 occur, and 10 years after Geese murdered their father (which would have made them 8 years old in that time, circa 1981).

Terry stayed in Southtown to hone his skills taught by Jeff. That's why his fighting style is never specified (it's only stated as "martial arts"), mostly because Terry's style is kinda like a hybrid of many different styles he might have crossed during his training period in Southtown. There was never a mention of Tung being involved in Terry's training process, though.
    2.) How did Terry end up adopting Rock? Was Geese taking Care of him when Geese died? or were Geese and his wife separated at that time?

Geese never gave a shit about Rock, he just basically screwed Marie Heinlein and went on his way. Terry adopted Rock at the end of RBFF when Geese plummets to his death, since history was repeating itself with Rock (witnessed his father being killed by his nemesis and becoming an orphan) and Terry wanted to keep him in a straight path.
    3.) Does Rock know of Geese Howard at all or what he did? or is he ignorant of his family history until the encounter with Kain?

Yes, Rock knew about Geese. Once his mom (Marie Heinlein) fell into bed from a fatal disease, she kept mentioning Geese's name. Rock walked over to Geese Tower to bring Geese to his mother's side but Geese gave him the cold shoulder. Rock tended to his mother until she finally died, moment in which Rock once again went to Geese Tower, where he witnessed Geese's death during his match with Terry.
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
    1. How wide are the gaps between-
    - Terry and Andy
    - Terry and Rock
    - Ryo and Robert
    - Geese and Krauser (and which is better between these two?)

2. How does Yuga compare to the other SS bosses? Is she better or worse?
    1. How wide are the gaps between-
    - Terry and Andy
    - Terry and Rock
    - Ryo and Robert
    - Geese and Krauser (and which is better between these two?)

2. How does Yuga compare to the other SS bosses? Is she better or worse?

- Terry and Andy: Terry is obviously the best, considering all his accolades and such. Andy is always talking about "surpassing his brother" anyways so that means he has an inferior role in the overall scheme of things.

- Terry and Rock: Well, obviously Rock for the time being is still passed on as inexperienced and young while Terry is the more seasoned veteran, so Terry gets the nod for the time being, but I guess SNK is building to have Rock eventually surpass Terry (if they EVER decide to make a sequel to Garou or decide to continue the storyline in the KOF series), since Rock has the Terry + Geese movesets going on for him.

- Ryo and Robert: Ryo gets the slight nod but mostly they have the same "Ryu/Ken" type of relation power-wise, which makes it pretty hard to determine who is better (but Ryo IS the successor of the Kyokugenryuu style and his veteran Mr. Karate incarnations shows that he can eventually become quite impressive....and Robert?)

- Geese and Krauser: They have always been built as equals and SNK has never given any hints on who is better than who. I guess it's because they're siblings, who knows. I MIGHT say Geese by a slight margin since Geese has a hobby for surviving nasty falls and all, but who knows....

Yuga is pretty much in the same line as Amakusa....some netherworld wizard with mystic magic powers but that's about it. Still inferior to Mizuki.
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
    Kyokugen related question: Has Takuma Sakazaki ever performed the Shoran Kyaku? Apparently it's Kyokugne's strongest technique and only Takuma knows it, but I've never seen it. The other secret technique he knows is the Haoh Shikou Ken, which I think he did in one of the AOF's when you fight him as Mr. Karate.
    Kyokugen related question: Has Takuma Sakazaki ever performed the Shoran Kyaku? Apparently it's Kyokugne's strongest technique and only Takuma knows it, but I've never seen it. The other secret technique he knows is the Haoh Shikou Ken, which I think he did in one of the AOF's when you fight him as Mr. Karate.

:confused: The Shoran Kyaku? Strongest technique of Kyokugen? It's just a running knee bash. :sweat:

Takuma has done the Haoh Shi Kou Ken many times before outside of his Mr. Karate persona, including the one he used to deflect a Zero Cannon shot in KOF 2000.
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
    Lantis wrote:
    :confused: The Shoran Kyaku? Strongest technique of Kyokugen? It's just a running knee bash. :sweat:
    That's kinda underwhelming...
    South-Town universe(FF/AOF), KOF universe and MI universe are not the same universe:

1. KOF started at SNK all-stars dreammatchs, but it's popular so they added more depth in the story part.

14460201.jpg

2. From official sources such as game manuals, guides, endings, etc.

South-Town Timeline:

AOF1 - 1978
    AOF2-3 - 1979
    FF1/FFWA - 1992 http://tugger.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ffury.htm
    FF2 - 1993 http://tugger.hp.infoseek.co.jp/fatalfury2-tb.htm
    FF3 - 1995
    RB1 - 1996
    RB2 - 1998
    MOTW - 2006

3. There is relative age difference in South-Town universe and KOF universe.

AOF2-3

Ryo - 22
    Geese - 26
    Kasumi - 16

KOF 96-01

Ryo - 24 (same age as KOF 96 Terry but he was older in FFWA http://www.geocities.com/ironmugen/)
    Geese - 42 (KOF96,FF3 age)
    Kasumi - 16 (KOF96&99-00, AOF3 age)

RB2

Terry - 27
    Mary - 25
    Yamazaki - 34
    Xiangfei - 17

KOF 97-01

Terry - 24 (FF3 age)
    Mary - 23 (RB1 age)
    Yamazaki - 33 (RB1 age)
    Xiangfei - 17 (RB2 age)

4. There's also the lack of aging of the KOF cast, but there isn't in other series. (In KOF universe, all characters never aged since 95.)

5. In FF series Geese has died since RB1 which took place in 1996 (official), but in KOF he's still alive and well.
    http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/neogeo/b/kof97spec.htm
    http://www.kof10th.com/english/history/kof2003_story/index.php?num=outlow

6. Akihiko Ureshino already indicated that the 3 stories are not the same universe.
    (he has worked on the storyline for KOF96-01, EX2 and MI2.)

7. Tatsuhiko 'Falcoon' Kanaoka (MI2's producer) has said that Maximum Impact is definitely set in a different universe than the regular KOF Series.
    Just some more infos:

- In South-Town universe, kof tournaments were held in AOF2, FF1/FFWA, FF2, RB1 and MOTW.
    So Ryo is the first kof champion.
    http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/online/ryuko/
    http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/nbc/museum/ryuko/
    http://www.personal.triticom.com/~erm/www.neogeo.co.jp/garou/
    http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/nbc/museum/fatalfury/
    http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/online/mow/
    http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/nbc/museum/mow/

- If anyone really want to merge the 3 stories, they should include other series like Asamiya Athena's games(goddess Athena and "Crystalis" Athena not even counted):

In Psycho Soldier's story, the world was attacked by evil monsters.

And in PS1 game named "Athena: Awakening from the ordinary life", the game tooks place in 2018.
    Lantis wrote:
    Yuga is pretty much in the same line as Amakusa....some netherworld wizard with mystic magic powers but that's about it. Still inferior to Mizuki.

Um... I think Yuga should be the strongest boss in stotyline-wise:

- Both Amakusa Shiro Tokisada & Rashojin Mizuki made a pact with the evil god Ambrosia to gain their power.

- There is a very high chance that Yuga is Ambrosia.

- Yuga is something like a goddess of destruction in Makai.
  • Sheng-LongSheng-Long Joined: Posts: 1,419
    Almost forgot this thread,

thanks to Lantis and Freak on Board for the awesome FF/AoF info !!

All answers can be found in Saiki's faq, he did really great faqs. (although the SS's one seems to left unfinished)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/recognition/38982.html
    In fact, there aren't any plot holes in the first place, if people've realized that the three stories were happened in their own continuity.

Something like you shoudn't try to merge the story of any Final Fantasy games with Kingdom Hearts series.

Useless info from Q25 in NGBC site:

The difference between two dream match series is that, while KOF tried to make a world believable where characters evolve, NGBC is in a world where everything is possible.

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/nbc/faq/backnumber02.html