Official and Only Team Building Thread (ALL TEAM BUILDING TOPICS GO HERE)

Comments

• Riot55Riot55 King Scrub Joined: Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭
    Argh, I've tried so many characters in the 2nd slot for my team Wesker/X/Taskmaster, but I haven't found the best fit yet. I've tried: Doom, Hawkeye, Spencer, Dormammu, Vergil, Firebrand, and more. I really want to make Spencer work as he works really well with the others on the team, but I have trouble with the timing on his grapples and air to ground moves, especially online.

I currently have Wesker on point and Task as anchor as I use Taks's horizontal assist + Wesker's teleports for mixups, and Task makes for a good anchor on his own plus if he gets hit he can get some red health back. I typically want a 2nd slot to have a strong mixup/teleport that can take advantage of Task's assist, do a lot of damage, and can DHC into Task too. I'm open to switching up my team order, as Task on point and Wesker anchor is awesome too. All of the characters I use seem like they make perfect points, seconds, or anchors, so it makes it tough.

At the moment, I'm probably best with Wesker/Doom/Taskmaster or Wesker/Hawkeye/Taskmaster. Doom's plasma beam is good with Wesker but it scales the damage a ton, and I use Hawkeye's poison arrow to extend Wesker's combos and do good damage. However, I'm still not very good when Hawkeye and Doom come out as I think their movement is a little awkward.... feels clunky and floaty to me still.

So what do you guys think the strongest team and team order that involves Wesker and Taskmaster with someone else? Not that I'm not good at the game, but characters with simpler timing would be nice. I'm considering trying Zero/Wesker/Taskmaster, but again, for some reason the whole concept of charging his buster the whole time is counter-intuitive to how I've ever played fighting games (never played a character where I had to hold down buttons and do other stuff). Ghost Rider seems to fit good with Task assist, but Wesker's assist doesn't really seem to do much for him. Sentinel drones are always good, but they don't seem to do much for Wesker when it comes to extending combos, and it's hard to open people up with Sentinel when he comes out. I think Dormammu is great, but his assists aren't the best... I've tried him on point and it's been relatively successful. ARGH! Just rambling now. Opinions on the strongest character with relatively easy execution to pair with Wesker and Task?
    Taskmaster/Spencer/Akuma
  • AluvjetsAluvjets Joined: Posts: 260
    Riot 55: Have ever considered trying Deadpool? My main team is Deadpool Taskmaster Doom and I think that Deadpool and Taskmaster have great synergy together with guns and arrows. Deadpool keepaway and teleport mixup game work really well with Taskmaster arrows. You could also experiment with Wesker's assist to extend Deadpool's combos. I think all three characters on that would be great on point and as an anchor so you could pick what order works best for you. Deadpool's movement options are very easy to pick since his dash is very fast and he has one of the fastest teleports in the game. Deadpool is really easy to pick up and play so he would have a small learning curve outside maximizing combo damage (his 650k bnbs can be done with your eyes closed).

On a side note, I would agree with you that Doctor Doom has a high learning curve. But, he is definitely one of the best characters in ultimate. Definitely give him another shot if you don't like Deadpool. My suggestion with leveling up your Doom would be to make a Doom point team (Doom x Sentinel) and practice his mixup game. Drones make any point character better, Doom included. When far away, use plasma beam photon shot, and hidden missiles. Use footdives, air h, and air m to get in. Practice hit confirming his forward foot dive (not the dive kick) into a full combo and you should be fine with Doom. Just make sure you tri jump a lot with him to maximize his speed!
    UMVC3: Deadpool / Taskmaster / Doctor Doom
  • ViktorkainViktorkain Joined: Posts: 1,325
    snip
    I was having the same issues with my Thor(smash)/Strange(bolts)team then I saw a new Thor combo video and officially made my main team

Thor(smash)/Doom(Missiles)/Strange(Bolts)

Other teams I am trying out currently are

Nemesis(Launcher Slam)/Nova(Centurion)/Dormammu(Dark Hole)

Nova(Centurion)/Rocket raccoon(log)/Super Skrull(Stone Smite)

TaskMaster(b)/Hawkeye(a)/Doom(Missiles)

I am still working on other characters and going to see what I can figure out but so far this is what I have.... I really like a few other characters as well but am still getting better with my mains before I venture to far off.
    "Worldmind Open Star Gate, Inform them that I am responding!"
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do I drink Odin's beer.Stay Godly my friends, Stay Godly!
    "Asura" for UMVC3. [SIZE=11px]Asura for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3[/SIZE]
  • catbondcatbond The Wassailer Supreme Joined: Posts: 669
    I really need some help and ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. I play a Wolvie/?/Wesker team (in that order) my pressure with Wolvie is pretty solid.

Ryu. His Tatsu assist will help you combo off of cross-up Berserker Slash without causing a ridiculous amount of hit-stun decay/damage scaling. Also Shinku Hadoken will let you DHC even if you end your combo with an aerial Fatal Claw. Once Ryu is on point you can set up unblockables with Wesker using Collarbone Breaker and Samurai Edge assist.
    I'm currently running Cap/PW/Dorm. It's a PW team (as is EVERY team w/PW), but I like the synergy between Cap/Dorm so much that I want to replace PW. Any thoughts on who it should be?
    Iron Man? Unibeam assist will help you set up Cartwheel mix-ups and Proton Cannon is great DHC fodder. The only down-side is you have to learn how to use Iron Man. I rocked a Cap/IM/Hulk team in vanilla to moderate success.
    So what do you guys think the strongest team and team order that involves Wesker and Taskmaster with someone else? Not that I'm not good at the game, but characters with simpler timing would be nice. I'm considering trying Zero/Wesker/Taskmaster, but again, for some reason the whole concept of charging his buster the whole time is counter-intuitive to how I've ever played fighting games (never played a character where I had to hold down buttons and do other stuff). Ghost Rider seems to fit good with Task assist, but Wesker's assist doesn't really seem to do much for him. Sentinel drones are always good, but they don't seem to do much for Wesker when it comes to extending combos, and it's hard to open people up with Sentinel when he comes out. I think Dormammu is great, but his assists aren't the best... I've tried him on point and it's been relatively successful. ARGH! Just rambling now. Opinions on the strongest character with relatively easy execution to pair with Wesker and Task?
    Possibly Ryu? He's generally a low-execution character that DHCs well with everyone. Tatsu assist could help you successfully teleport mix-up without incurring a ton of scaling and Ryu has a standing overhead making it easy to set up unblockables with Samurai Edge assist. As an added bonus you could do some zoning with Ryu filling the air with Hadokens while calling Taskmaster.
    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

UMvC3: Haggar-α/Ryu-γ/Hulk-α, Frank-α/Haggar-α/Ghost Rider-α
    MvC3: Haggar-α/Deadpool-α/Amaterasu-β, Wolverine-γ/Doom-γ/Akuma-β
    SSFIV:AE: Dan, Dhalsim, Balrog
    BB:CS: Litchi, Ragna
  • BardicKnowledgeBardicKnowledge Joined: Posts: 65
    I'm currently thinking of trying out two teams -- any advice anyone feels like giving is welcome. My opinions on them are below, to help flesh things out.

Trish (Low Voltage) / Haggar (Lariat) / Frank West (Shopping Cart)

Pros:
    Two chars with reliable ways to level Frank
    High damage output on Haggar and (levelled) Frank

Cons:
    Few projectiles
    Difficult for Frank to get inside hard zoning, even at high levels

Gameplan:

Trish starts on point, hoping to combo into Round Harvest early and get Frank's level up by tagging afterwards. If she builds two meters, DHC into Haggar to max Frank instantly. Assuming Frank gets in and Trish has a fair amount of health, Frank becomes the point char and Trish eventually anchors. Haggar + Trish assist is slightly better imo than Haggar + Frank assist, and Frank at levels 3-5 becomes very difficult to deal with alongside Trish assist to get in, and Haggar to stay there.

Firebrand (Swoop) / Nemesis (Launcher Slam) / Arthur (Daggers)

Pros:
    Great zoning
    Wall bounce, ground bounce, and OTG allows for very long Firebrand combos

Cons:

Two chars with useful "powerup" supers eats a lot of meter
    Low damage on two chars, especially w/o meter

Gameplan:

Use daggers to control ground space while Firebrand assaults from the air. TAC into Nemesis results in big damage, as does DHC (though this team is meter-hungry). Any of the three as anchor is possible so long as I save X-Factor.

Any advice is welcome -- thanks!

• CytexCytex Waning Moon Joined: Posts: 6
    Alright so I run a Deadpool(Quick Work)/Firebrand(swoop)/Wesker(Ghost Butterfly) and I was wondering should I changed any of the characters or is this team even decent? I just started playing UMVC3 yesterday (never played vanilla) and still figuring out what team/characters I should use. But I really been enjoying playing all three of them I will admit I picked Wesker because of how good he is.
  • ConnalkensConnalkens Trainer Joined: Posts: 28
    1.) Super Skrull (Stone Smite)
    2.) Iron Fist (Crescent Heel)
    3.) Taskmaster (Aim Master [Parabolic Shot])

Is this a decent team? Does it need any improvements?
  • El_MaizEl_Maiz You can never tell with that guy Joined: Posts: 3,023
    1.) Super Skrull (Stone Smite)
    2.) Iron Fist (Crescent Heel)
    3.) Taskmaster (Aim Master [Parabolic Shot])

Is this a decent team? Does it need any improvements?

At least go for horizontal shot with Taskmaster. Iron Fist really needs that.

And Rising Fang is probably better than Crescent Heel.
  • ConnalkensConnalkens Trainer Joined: Posts: 28
    At least go for horizontal shot with Taskmaster. Iron Fist really needs that.

And Rising Fang is probably better than Crescent Heel.
    Alright, Thank you very much.
    Trish (Low Voltage) / Haggar (Lariat) / Frank West (Shopping Cart)
    How practical is it for Trish to combo into Round Harvest on her own? There's been some talk about this team specifically in the Ultimate Haggar Thread and there are a few great ways to get Frank to level 4 off of any touch with Haggar on point or level 5 with Frank on point. Personally I feel that going Haggar/Trish/Frank would be ideal, using Trish assist to get in and Frank assist to extend Haggar's combos after OTG.

Also I'm curious as to how you were planning to DHC from Trish into Haggar, especially for the purposes of leveling Frank. There's a major lack of synergy in that direction.
    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

• WesleyWesley Sir Arthur... is ready to do battle! Joined: Posts: 44
    Hey guys! I need some help here! I might as well tell you MVC3 was my first fighting game and I didn't play it all that much. I now have UMVC3 (bought it a day or so after it came out) and have been playing it a bit. Not too much. So I obviously still have lots to learn in terms of the basics and when to call out assists and stuff like that.

Anyways! So I'm missing the second character for my team.

1.) Iron Fist (Crescent Heel) on point.
    2.) ???
    3.) Arthur (Dagger Toss) is the anchor.

I just love the way Iron Fist plays, even though he has no real air options. His combos and fighting style just really drew me in and I'm sure I'll never replace him. Arthur is my absolute favorite. He'll always be on my team. No exceptions. And of course I save XFC for him. Level 3 XFC + Golden Armor can really tear people up, especially if they've already blown their XFC.

So who should I use as my second character? I keep seeing people say Iron Fist needs a lock down assist. But who should I use? I'm not a fan of Dante or Doom.

And if anyone wants to play together or teach me some things, add me on XBL. My gamertag is ButtFarts McGee.
    XBL Gamertag - ButtFarts McGee
  • BardicKnowledgeBardicKnowledge Joined: Posts: 65
    Also I'm curious as to how you were planning to DHC from Trish into Haggar, especially for the purposes of leveling Frank. There's a major lack of synergy in that direction.

You're right, it does make a lot more sense to start Haggar. Thanks! Any thoughts about the other team?
    Hey guys! I need some help here! I might as well tell you MVC3 was my first fighting game and I didn't play it all that much. I now have UMVC3 (bought it a day or so after it came out) and have been playing it a bit. Not too much. So I obviously still have lots to learn in terms of the basics and when to call out assists and stuff like that.

Anyways! So I'm missing the second character for my team.

1.) Iron Fist (Crescent Heel) on point.
    2.) ???
    3.) Arthur (Dagger Toss) is the anchor.

I just love the way Iron Fist plays, even though he has no real air options. His combos and fighting style just really drew me in and I'm sure I'll never replace him. Arthur is my absolute favorite. He'll always be on my team. No exceptions. And of course I save XFC for him. Level 3 XFC + Golden Armor can really tear people up, especially if they've already blown their XFC.

So who should I use as my second character? I keep seeing people say Iron Fist needs a lock down assist. But who should I use? I'm not a fan of Dante or Doom.

And if anyone wants to play together or teach me some things, add me on XBL. My gamertag is ButtFarts McGee.

Use Spencer. The damage and ability to do combos off of anti-airs skyrockets for Iron Fist if you have Spencer assist.
  • IceKitsuneIceKitsune Joined: Posts: 205
    I still want to know what people think of my team (since I got no responses last time) again running Rocket (Log)/Thor (Smash)/Ammy (Cold Star) what do you guys think? Should I change the order or assists?
    UMVC3:Hulk/Felicia/Amaterasu,Captain America/Thor/Rocket VS:Felicia/Talbain
    SF(A2,AE,HDR,3S,CE):Akuma/Ryu/Sagat/Cammy/Chun-Li/Twelve SamSho2:ChamCham
    MCV2:Cammy/Doom/Sentinel,Hulk/Rogue/Captain Comando,Juggernaut/Tron/Black Heart
    Use Spencer. The damage and ability to do combos off of anti-airs skyrockets for Iron Fist if you have Spencer assist.

Hmm, I've never tried Spencer before. Which assist?
    You're right, it does make a lot more sense to start Haggar. Thanks! Any thoughts about the other team?
    I have to admit to a general lack of knowledge about all of those characters. However, as far as ordering is concerned I would consider going with Nemesis/Firebrand/Arthur. Firebrand to Nemesis there are no strong DHC options and Launcher Slam assist does little to help Firebrand since he already utilizes a ground-bounce on his own. Nemesis, however, can DHC from Bioweapon Assault to Dark Fire easily and possibly even Luminous Body for a relaunch. Also Nemesis is more likely to leave you at a net meter gain setting Firebrand up for success.

In all honesty, Arthur seems like a weak link on the team. Unless there is a specific synergy that I am not seeing, I'm fairly certain that you would be better served with a character like Hawkeye. His Quick Shot (Greyhound) assist comes out faster and Gimlet lets him DHC successfully out of anything. Also since Bioweapon Assault and Dark Fire leave the enemy higher in the air, he may be able to DHC into Kiss of Fire effectively and extend the combo from there.

Hmm, I've never tried Spencer before. Which assist?
    Wire Grapple :m:, it puts the opponent in a standing state so you can utilize Dragon's Touch (crumple) and :s:.

Wire Grapple :m:, it puts the opponent in a standing state so you can utilize Dragon's Touch (crumple) and :s:.

Awesome. I'll give it a try and see what happens! Thanks! :D
  • Sin_CorazonSin_Corazon Bub Joined: Posts: 3
    I still want to know what people think of my team (since I got no responses last time) again running Rocket (Log)/Thor (Smash)/Ammy (Cold Star) what do you guys think? Should I change the order or assists?

It appears there are a few gaps in a practical raccoon-based offense with these assists. The meat and potatoes of his game involves controlling lateral space using rocket skates and tunnel rat , and ammy's coldstar lockdown synergizes with that approach rather nicely. However, I've found that team composition relies (generally) on more than point-character support.

As a rule of thumb, when comprising new teams, I ask myself:
    1. Do my assists provide sufficient opportunities for mix-ups and unblockables?
    2. Do my assists provide me with combo extensions where necessary?
    3. Do my assists help me control a part of the screen that my point-character cannot? For example, Iron Fist has a rather poor aerial game, and assists like Firebrand's Swoop, Vergil's Rising Sun, and Doom's Oddly-Portable Infinite Silo of Missiles help thwart airborne attackers like Magneto.
    4. Do I have a strong DHC map? Can my characters seamlessly transition between one another in the same combo without the slightest chance of the opponent teching out?
    5. Is my anchor strong enough to warrant saving xfactor for? Can this anchor function largely unassisted?

Now, back to your team, with these criteria in mind:

1. Yes. Rocket's low hover along with the long period of forced guard may create some nasty overhead opportunities, experiment with assists like Sentinel's charge to see what works best for you.
    2. Well, no, but Rocket's combos are largely unassisted, Thor doesn't need extension with decent meter, and ammy is mostly independently capable too. If any Ameterasu or Thor - proficient players could comment on this note, maybe some of you have ideas for extensions.
    3. This is an important one for you, especially with Thor and Rocket relying heavily on coldstar to keep the opponent cornered and on the defensive. I've never been a fan of Thor's mobility (honestly, I've never been a fan of Thor, but I digress), so without a coldstar or beam assist to back you up, you're largely unprotected. Don't lose ammy!
    4. I actually went into training mode to test this out. IIRC Thor had a reasonable safe DHC option with Hurricane, and Ammy's shuffle caught the opponent after hurricane and rocket's spring board hyper. It's not a combofiend-level map, but it works nicely. My only gripe is the awkward placement of Thor's mighty smash assist, I can't see any practical implementation of it, and Thor himself seems a little out of place in a Battery/User/Assist oriented team. Again, I'm not the best Thor around, so someone can swoop in and defend the god of thunder if they want to.
    5. Yes. I've toyed around with Ammy anchor before and have generally been successful. Even with a lowly 160% damage multiplier in XF, she seems like a solid choice.

There ya go. Hope it helped. I didn't get any replies on mine either so I'm just gonna lurk and see if I can't help out some other peeps.
    Awesome. I'll give it a try and see what happens! Thanks! :D
    Don't forget that Spencer is really really really good now.
  • Kunx990Kunx990 Joined: Posts: 12
    I am currently running Deadpool (Katana)/ Hulk (AA Charge)/Task(H. Arrows), I have been thinking to change Deadpool's assist to Quick Work to have an easy unblockable setup but it would make me lose combo extensions which will kill characters. Should I main Katana-Rama assist and counter with quick work?
  • HardcoreHeroHardcoreHero Joined: Posts: 7
    Currently I'm running Vergil (Rapid Slash)/Wesker (Samurai Edge Lower Shot) and I'm not sure who to use as a third. I was thinking of using Doom (Plasma Beam). I was also thinking of switching Wesker to third, but I don't want to rely on something so cheap. So basically, two questions.
    1. Who should I use for my last character?
    2. Should I swallow my pride and use Wesker as my third, or will I be fine?
  • mcclearyb0ymcclearyb0y i prefer low tiers Joined: Posts: 74
    my team: Ghost Rider/Hulk/Captain America

GR. Heartless Spire assist for OTG
    Hulk. Gamma Wave assist b/c its a good defensive and offensive pressure assist. and it can open up/extend combo's if timed right.
    Cap. Shield Slash assist basically for same reason's i have hulks. a shot assist that opens up for combo's and keeps pressure. difference i mainly use this in the corner b/c of chance to mixup opponent w/ the return factor on shield. most people get hit one the comeback.

Ghost on screen:
    Basically my strategy in a fight is to pressure you from mid/long range of screen w/ GR j.S s.H cr.H and Hulk assist until i get you into corner. once in corner i chip away until i can hit combo where i super then DHC into Hulk Gamma Crush.

Hulk on screen:
    Once i get hulk out i try to contain them in corner w/ j.H - S and Cap assist keeping you grounded and under pressure. once i catch you fishing w/ one of hulks attacks i open up for combo. OTG then finish off w/ Gamma Crush.

if somehow i lose both hulk and GR i finally bring Cap out. my thoughts are that cap shouldnt touch screen until both of my other characters are dead so if i have to use anchor he has full bar of health a ton of meter and XF.

once Cap is on screen i just pressure and mix up w/ varying shield slash's and cartwheels. cap's dmg w/ XF means if i catch you w/ any combo your characters dead.

thats team im running but i feel its lacking due to no air game. any tips on character changes/ assist changes etc??
  • IceKitsuneIceKitsune Joined: Posts: 205
    Post about my team that is to large to quote again.

Thanks it did help! :)
    UMVC3:Hulk/Felicia/Amaterasu,Captain America/Thor/Rocket VS:Felicia/Talbain
    SF(A2,AE,HDR,3S,CE):Akuma/Ryu/Sagat/Cammy/Chun-Li/Twelve SamSho2:ChamCham
    MCV2:Cammy/Doom/Sentinel,Hulk/Rogue/Captain Comando,Juggernaut/Tron/Black Heart
  • tenderbeaartenderbeaar Joined: Posts: 1
    My Team : Wesker/Dante/Dormammu

Wesker Assist: Ghost Butterfly for OTG
    Dante Assist: Jam Session for OTG
    Dormammu Assist: Dark Hole for Pressure/Zoning

So basically this is what I've been doing:

I play Wesker on point basically for meter building. he's fast and good at pressure and i can land pretty good combos with him. As for Dante, it's pretty much the same thing. when i get 4-5 bars, i get an air combo with wesker, aerial exchange with dante, then finish with million dollars, then DHC into chaotic flame. i think i can do pretty good with that since i like a run and gun style. if wesker gets beat out fast enough, i can still play point with dante.

any helps with strategy guys? thanks.
  • KamoKageKamoKage Joined: Posts: 19
    MysticRay's Mahvelbytes

Hmm lets take a gander at your set-up

Pros:
    2 mobile/ agile characters, 1 pesudo-zoner
    High mix-up potential with Parker and Virgil
    High damage through extended Virgil Combos, Ghost Rider bnbs
    Solid anchor of Virgil.
    Spiderman is a very tricky fighter to deal with and not many people know his match-up.

Cons:
    Team lacks a good projectile assist, Virgil and Spidey may have trouble getting safely in on the opponent.
    Spidey is an execution based character who will need alot of lab time to become effective. It takes work to learn his meterless 400k combos
    Lacks a pure zoner, Ghost Rider will be beaten out by strong zoners in your opponent's line-up.
    Team has little room for error, Spidey and Virgil will be destroyed on a couple of slip-ups.

Comments:
    The team has good potential to be solid, but you lack a solid projectile assist that can cover your "rushdown" characters.
    DHC Synergy is possible but you'll have to time your inputs correctly.

Suggested Strategy.

Your lineup should be Ghost Rider/Spidey/Virgil

Your first goal is to overwhelm the opponent with Ghost Rider's "zoning" (in addition to taking out characters as necessary).
    The second goal is to snap in our opponent's anchor with Spidey and finish them off. Also spidey must evade the x-factor duration of the opponent.
    Your final goal is to save meter and x-factor for virgil for the end

Why are we snapping in with Spidey?
    Spidey is a great character to do snap-backs with because of his very fast attacks. If spidey can eliminiate our opponent's anchor then we basically guarantee that Virgil will be able to powerfully decimate when the timer gets low. also a nifty little trick is ultimate web throw on recently snapped in opponent.

Why are we evading our opponent's x-factor with Spidey?
    He's extremely mobile and can dodge nearly anything if played right.

So heres the plan, at the start of the match we'll pester the opponent with ghost rider and make the opponent think that "this" is the backbone of the team. Keep ghost rider out and cause as much damage as possible until he gets to low health, then switch to the spider. Spidey has the job of not causing huge damage but snapping in and at least "roughing up" our opponent's anchor. When this task is complete, bring back in ghost rider if necessary or continue butt-whopping with Spiderman. But be warned, our opponent will probably be using X-factor soon so we must keep spidey alive. When X-factor is activated we simply runaway with spiderman until it's finished.

Now comes our fatal blow, Virgil.

Equip X-factor, Devil Trigger, and go to town. Use teleports, simply get in and end the fight. You can't run from an X-factor Virgil.

Good luck! Have fun!

so I have been practicing normal bread and butter combos to help get somewhat decent...you know usual beginner stuff. Now comes the hard part which I need some help on...creating 50/50's and unblockables or even finding a way to combo my assists into my strategy. the team I have is listed above... suggestions to this newbie?
  • Cosmic_CastawayCosmic_Castaway Legendary Dark Knight Joined: Posts: 2,449
    Currently I'm running Vergil (Rapid Slash)/Wesker (Samurai Edge Lower Shot) and I'm not sure who to use as a third. I was thinking of using Doom (Plasma Beam). I was also thinking of switching Wesker to third, but I don't want to rely on something so cheap. So basically, two questions.
    1. Who should I use for my last character?
    2. Should I swallow my pride and use Wesker as my third, or will I be fine?
    Put Wesker out front so he can build meter for Vergil. For your third, might as well go with like...Dante or something. Doom is a great choice as well. There's tons of options, really. Taskmaster, Hawkeye, Sentinel, Amaterasu, Cap Am...
    The Excusatory Wizard of Execution
  • MysticRayMysticRay Mashes Dive Kick Until It Works. Joined: Posts: 4,732
    so I have been practicing normal bread and butter combos to help get somewhat decent...you know usual beginner stuff. Now comes the hard part which I need some help on...creating 50/50's and unblockables or even finding a way to combo my assists into my strategy. the team I have is listed above... suggestions to this newbie?

I don't main Spidey but I know his jumping special is a pesudo-dive kick that can be chained into crouching Light for a high low mix-up. Master web zipping and calling an assist for screen switching cross-ups. Vergil can teleport so its easier to mix up with him, I believe web ball would be an ideal projectile to cover him because its slow and stays on the screen for a long time. Ghost Rider doesn't mix up, he man handles you into a corner with his chain until the opponent screws up
    UMVC3 Teams: Kawaiibrand/Skrub/Whackbot . Kawaiibrand/Dog/Skrub
    Lovez the chubbays and Dark Magician Fatty.
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • GREEKGREEK Ryu's been smoking that shit Joined: Posts: 556
    who are the best battery characters in the game?

users?

anchors?
    GUILTYGEARXRD HOLY SMOKES
  • RexdawnRexdawn Joined: Posts: 22
    I'm looking into two possible teams: one for Zero and one for Strider Hiryu. I'm also trying to fit Dante on both teams since I really like using him and he seems versatile enough to go anywhere.

Zero (assist unsure), Vergil (Rapid Slash), Dante (Jam Session)

I've been reading around and both those characters seem pretty good for Zero. Zero and Vergil seem to have a lot of good synergy and I'm sure Dante could be a decent anchor.

Dante (Jam Session), Strider Hiryu (Vajra), Amaterasu (Cold Star)

I've seen MarlinPie and Clockw0rk run Amaterasu as anchor so I figured she couldn't be a terrible anchor. Dante and Hiryu would both benefit from Cold Star assist, and I have Dante as a battery for Hiryu, and if I lose Dante, I still have Hiryu with a solid assist for his gameplan kind of like Clockw0rk's team. Doctor Doom is also a candidate for anchor, but I want to see if Amaterasu fits the bill first.
  • HardcoreHeroHardcoreHero Joined: Posts: 7
    Put Wesker out front so he can build meter for Vergil. For your third, might as well go with like...Dante or something. Doom is a great choice as well. There's tons of options, really. Taskmaster, Hawkeye, Sentinel, Amaterasu, Cap Am...
    Should I use an otg assist aside from wesker's gunshot to extend vergil's combos? because the only reason I'm doing Vergil/Wesker instead of Wesker/Vergil is for the extended combos
  • Cosmic_CastawayCosmic_Castaway Legendary Dark Knight Joined: Posts: 2,449
    Should I use an otg assist aside from wesker's gunshot to extend vergil's combos? because the only reason I'm doing Vergil/Wesker instead of Wesker/Vergil is for the extended combos
    I've never needed an OTG assist for Vergil, but that's just me. You also shouldn't just let Wesker sit out front until he dies anyway, so you'll still have the assist at some point.
    The Excusatory Wizard of Execution
  • Joe YabukiJoe Yabuki Murcielago Joined: Posts: 1,280
    What's the cheapest All Girls team possible? No dogs allowed
    Catherine is a better fighting game than *insert game here*
  • OMG its a duckOMG its a duck Bruh I'm in down bad bruh Joined: Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭
    Wesker/???/Spencer(slant shot)

Retarded team to begin with, but what's the most retarded person to put in the second slot? They have to be able to extend Wesker's derpy derp ABC123 combo(which pretty much any character can do), be okay for mixing up with Wesker teleports, and be a good meter dump. I was thinking Tasky or Dorm?
  • AvariceXAvariceX Joined: Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭
    What's the cheapest All Girls team possible? No dogs allowed

Probably Trish/Morrigan/Phoenix.
    UMvC3: Firebrand/Zero/Dante; Zero/Dante/Strider; MvC2: MSP
    SFIV: Juri | 3S: Yun| ST: O.Ryu
    BB: Rachel, Makoto, u-12
    Probably Trish/Morrigan/Phoenix.
    Nice, Morrigan is so hard though >_<
  • HeadpoolHeadpool xbl: Mr Brownstank Joined: Posts: 152
    I need help coming up with a team that suits me well, what 3 do you think would have the best synergy out of the following:
    Deadpool
    Doctor Strange
    Dormammu
    Iron Fist
    Taskmaster
    Hawkeye
    Rocket Raccoon
    Taskmaster/Deadpool/Dormammu
    Strange/Iron Fist/Coon
    Hawkeye Taskmaster and Deadpool (no particular order) would be pretty nice, the lame stuff
  • chickenlegs90chickenlegs90 Joined: Posts: 3
    Hey I'm looking for an anchor to make Nemesis and Ryu work. Any ideas? I'm hoping for someone like Strider, Nova or Hawkeye, but not sure if they make much sense. I'm a fairly new player to umvc3. I was thinking Wesker could also probably work but I don't really like him. I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks.
    Hey I'm looking for an anchor to make Nemesis and Ryu work. Any ideas? I'm hoping for someone like Strider, Nova or Hawkeye, but not sure if they make much sense. I'm a fairly new player to umvc3. I was thinking Wesker could also probably work but I don't really like him. I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks.
    I don't like Strider as an anchor for this team because you really can't do much with those characters if you get a hard knockdown from Vajira assist, Nova or Hawkeye seems to be the way to go in your case, just pick the one you like the most.
  • HeadpoolHeadpool xbl: Mr Brownstank Joined: Posts: 152
    Hawkeye Taskmaster and Deadpool (no particular order) would be pretty nice, the lame stuff
    I feel like the team would incite rage from rushdown, I would probably run tasky as anchor and hawkeye on point. 'pool with katanarama assist. It would probably get the job done, but where is the magicks?
    Taskmaster/Deadpool/Dormammu
    Strange/Iron Fist/Coon
  • GuruPrimoGuruPrimo full screen spd Joined: Posts: 1,089
    Any suggestions for someone to supplement X-23 on point and Dorm (Black Hole) as anchor? I like those two but have had problems finding a nice fit for the second character.
    I ain't talkin romance but you'll get swept off your feet- Guru R.I.P.

"Why go through the frustration when people are just going to spam projectiles, uppercut when you jump, and block all of your attacks, but are still out of range to throw? "- chuckZdZZ (or something like that)
  • chirpchirp Joined: Posts: 3,169
    Any suggestions for someone to supplement X-23 on point and Dorm (Black Hole) as anchor? I like those two but have had problems finding a nice fit for the second character.

Dante works really well with X-23, Jam Session lets you do her unblockable lvl 3, forgot what its called, locks down the opponent for left/right mixups. You could also extend her combos with it in vanilla, not sure if that still works in Ultimate (well with a little creativity almost anything works, whether its very effective or not is another matter). You can also do high/low unblockables with Dante on point, Ankle Slice assist.
    Doom's also a good choice, Plasma Beam makes everybody better, and DHC from X23 (either super) to Sphere Flame is really good. Dante and Doom also work really well with Dorm, so there's that too.
  • GuruPrimoGuruPrimo full screen spd Joined: Posts: 1,089
    Dante works really well with X-23, Jam Session lets you do her unblockable lvl 3, forgot what its called, locks down the opponent for left/right mixups. You could also extend her combos with it in vanilla, not sure if that still works in Ultimate (well with a little creativity almost anything works, whether its very effective or not is another matter). You can also do high/low unblockables with Dante on point, Ankle Slice assist.
    Doom's also a good choice, Plasma Beam makes everybody better, and DHC from X23 (either super) to Sphere Flame is really good. Dante and Doom also work really well with Dorm, so there's that too.

Nice! Thanks for the input. I was thinking Doom but Dante might be a better fit.
    I ain't talkin romance but you'll get swept off your feet- Guru R.I.P.

"Why go through the frustration when people are just going to spam projectiles, uppercut when you jump, and block all of your attacks, but are still out of range to throw? "- chuckZdZZ (or something like that)
  • Rustic AppleRustic Apple SKEET SKEET ON THE LIGHTNING! Joined: Posts: 112
    Looking for someone to spearhead my team of Firebrand and Doom, I'm thinking maybe Spencer or Dorm, but I haven't had any lab time recently, so I haven't been able to try out anything. Any other ideas?
    UMVC3: Nova/Chris/Dr. Doom
    3S: Sir Dudlington
    PSN: DPJR - Feel free to add me for some matches
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • MixTapeCDMixTapeCD Commencing Hostilities Joined: Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Team

Nemesis ( Launcher Slam ) ,Iron Man ( Repulsar ) ,Dr Strange ( Daggers )

My team initially is made up of alot of fanfare. Im a big Nemesis fan, and an even bigger Iron Man fan. I love Nemesis on point and im determined to work with him there. I like iron man second because I really don't like him as an anchor, I think he just needs help in some kind of way because his air dashes are slower and frankly just less safe because of no blocking thing anymore. I decided to go with Dr Strange because his assist are helpful to both Nemesis and Iron Man, and im at least convinced at the moment he can hold his own as an anchor.

I like using Repulsar assist because it blows up teleporters which can be an issue with Nemesis, and covers the space below me if I'm using jumping deadly reaches.

What criticism do you guys have for this team?I know there is alot of love for other assist for iron man and Dr Strange, so any advice on a assist substitution would be welcomed as well. I know this is a monster team by any means, but I think I can handle most situations. any and all criticism is welcome and appreciated, Thanks.
    Stomping on Dis beat like a mothaf****ing Sigma
  • chirpchirp Joined: Posts: 3,169
    Nemesis ( Launcher Slam ) ,Iron Man ( Repulsar ) ,Dr Strange ( Daggers )
    Spoiler:
  • Firekid2468Firekid2468 Keep the Flag Flying Joined: Posts: 922
    So, right now I'm running X-23 (ankle slice)/Wesker (samurai edge)/Strider (Vadjra). It feels pretty strong, though it'd be stronger if I could play as Strider worth a damn. So my question is, does this team have any glaring weaknesses I should know about?

Also thinking about making "for fun" team involving Hsien-Ko since everybody hates Wesker right now. >_> I'm thinking one of my above mains/Hsien-Ko/Taskmaster. Thoughts?
    BB: Makoto, Noel
    MvC3: X-23/Wesker/Strider
    SG: Filia/Squigly/M. Fortune
    RTSD all day, erry day.
  • Noble CactusNoble Cactus In name only. Joined: Posts: 8,452
    So, right now I'm running X-23 (ankle slice)/Wesker (samurai edge)/Strider (Vadjra). It feels pretty strong, though it'd be stronger if I could play as Strider worth a damn. So my question is, does this team have any glaring weaknesses I should know about?

Also thinking about making "for fun" team involving Hsien-Ko since everybody hates Wesker right now. >_> I'm thinking one of my above mains/Hsien-Ko/Taskmaster. Thoughts?
    Spencer could go in that first slot. He's a solid point character, builds meter decently, and Hsien-Ko likes the Slant Shot assist. It has weird synergies, but it's a fun team.

I still find it strange how I've heard of multiple people running that same exact team. But hey, like I said, it's fun. As for using one of your above mains, I'm not too sure. Maybe X-23? Strider really wants meter.
    "No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell."
    - Jung
  • MimebladeMimeblade Sealed Celestial Weapon Joined: Posts: 58
    I know what people are gonna say, and I have already practiced and lost a lot with these three, but I want to make it work.

Zero(Hadangeki) / Strider(Gram) / Vergil(Rapid Slash).

I built this team initially as Strider/Zero/Vergil since my main was Strider in MvC2, but trial and error has slowly made me construct this team thusly.

What I aim to do is use Zero's Sougenmu and Vergil's Devil Trigger and turn them into buffed assists for Strider. Despite him being a glass cannon, he serves as a more reliable battery than Zero, given my current level of skill with him. I don't use Vergil's Level 3 or swords that often, so I use him more as an HP buffer because X-Factor + Devil Trigger = Awesome.

I use Strider's Air Gram + Rapid Slash Assist to cover the whole screen, or use Vajira.

I use Formation S + Sougenmu Hadageki Assist to either Teleport or Wall Cling for mixup.

Aside from that Zero and Strider tend to last longer than my Vergil due to me being unable to hit-confirm very well with him yet.

I want to tweak and improve this team or it's order as much as possible...but right now I am lacking in skill for Vergil and Zero, so working with those two is a challenge, but it's a challenge I chose for myself...and I'm stubborn, lol