Official and Only Team Building Thread (ALL TEAM BUILDING TOPICS GO HERE)

TuboWareTuboWare Mouth of the MidwestJoined: Posts: 2,099 mod
Ok, so I've noticed a trend lately. Many people are making threads dedicated to building a team to suit their own needs. This is causing much clutter and confusion throughout the UMvC3 forums, so I've decided that we will have ONE thread dedicated to all team building questions and concerns.

In other words. ALL TEAM BUILDING TALK GOES IN THIS THREAD. DO NOT MAKE MORE THREADS PERTAINING TO TEAM BUILDING.

Rules of this thread:

1. All team building discussion, talk, debating, questions, answers, so on and so forth go here.
2. Stay on topic.
3. Trolling and flame baiting in this thread will not be tolerated.
4. All other normal SRK rules apply.

I will be monitoring this thread daily, and I won't hesitate to hand out infractions to those that deserve them. THIS IS EVERYONES ONLY WARNING.

Other than that, feel free to post away guys!! Have fun and keep it clean!
Owner of www.IFDWEAR.com
Follow me on twitter! www.twitter.com/tuboware
Follow IFDWear on twitter too!! www.twitter.com/IFDWear

Comments

• nagainagai Joined: Posts: 12
    K neat, I'm thinking of running spiderman, dorm, ryu (tatsu). The thought behind this team is to build around dorm. Spiderman is a good battery character and has very good DHC synergy with dorm. The rationale behind ryu is that it can serve as a defensive option with tatsu's high priority and can lock the opponent into mixups, with both characters. What do you guys think? Is there a better candidate for ryu's spot (someone suggested akuma for example)? What about spiderman? Thanks in advance.
  • KaoticalKaotical Joined: Posts: 6
    I would love to have some critique on my main team I've been running since Ultimate dropped:

CapAm (Shield Slash) / Nova (Nova Strike) / Senty (Drones *charge)

With Cap on point it's easy to continue combo's w/ Nova assist, not so much w/ Sent. I feel Cap and Sent have always been good buddies using Shield w/ Sent assist which works well for me mid-screen. Set-ups and mix-ups on wake-up w/ drones lock down from above their head or in the corner in conjunction w/ cartwheel and Shield. Sent assist seems better w/ Nova in, using Nova's airdashing, flying, Energy Javelin and H Pulse, but scoring combo's w/ Cap and Sent assist is easier. With Cap, I can dhc into Nova's projectile invulnerable hyper in case Hyper C-Star won't reach and it's easy to dhc mid-combo into Nova considering Nova's Orb has a great hitbox or into Hyper Rocket Punch for the safety, or even into Hyper Blaster if Nova has red health for that extra damage. I play Cap with a lot of range in mid-screen; it's easy to score combo's off of Shield and assists there. Charging Star through players jumping/airdashing in.

With Nova I use Energy Javelin and H Pulse a good deal, or if I'm forced closer I stay high while using both assists...mostly Cap. Cap's assist makes Nova's relaunch combos easier with slightly more damage. While the opponent is ducking Sent drones, Nova can come in with a cr.m into fly mix-ups or throw an Energy Javelin and then approach while they're still dealing w/ drones. I haven't had issues w/ his red health as I usually score a good use out of it w/ L or H Pulse (the fact that Nova can drop 2 H Pulses w/ red health is nice). Call drones, put up a Pulse shield, throw Javelin, call Cap assist, throw Javelin, and when you score a hit with one of those you can start your combo; you can (mostly) safely hard-tag after a H Pulse is deployed.

Sentinel is anchor mostly for what everyone would expect: XF lvl 3, but also assist. If he's in before the other 2 perish, his combo's can be easily extended by both other assists. Opinions lately on Sent's drones haven't been very good, but with a decent range game it definitely has it's uses. If the opponent blocks the first hit on Shield Slash, Sent should be able to grab/cmd grab before the return hit if spaced right. Still, most people fear Sent XF3. Cap and Nova don't lend a lot to Sent's range game but assist quite nicely mid-close range. THC w/ this team is fairly rewarding.
  • sandwichofdoomsandwichofdoom Hyped for Injustice: Gods among us Joined: Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    Im debating on who i should have team with who. I have a few teams with all the characters i want to use. I plan on narrowing it down a bit when im comfortable. But for now im trying to see what teams will work.
    Im currently using:

Firebrand(swoop)/ghostrider(alternating between chain and spire)/dormammu(dark hole)
    Skrull(havnt solidly picked an assist yet)/ rocket(same)/ Nova(same)
    Iron Fist(Kick)/hawkeye(greyhound)/shuma(ray)
    Modok(blaster)/ strange(eye)/ deadpool(quick work)

Any advice for team combinations that may have good synergy among those listed,or assists i should use for each?
    MVC3: (Firebrand/Ghost Rider/Dormmamu), (Skrull/Rocket Raccoon/Nova),(Iron Fist/Hawkeye/Shuma Gorath),(Modok/Doctor Strange/Deadpool)
    Mortal Kombat: Kabal,Kenshi GG:Zappa,Faust SSF4: Vega,Bison,Juri 3's: Alex,twelve
    sfxt: Rolento,Hwoarang, King,Lei,Bryan Tekken: Feng, King, Hwoarang,Lei SC:Voldo Skullgirls: Peacock
    Darkstalkers: L.raprtor,Donovan,Jedah,Anakaris. Blazblue: Arakune JoJo's: JoJo, Dio, S.Dio
  • SirOptimusPrimeSirOptimusPrime Joined: Posts: 32
    CapAm (Shield Slash) / Nova (Nova Strike) / Senty (Drones *charge)

If I didn't like my team so much, I would totally go for this team. I love Cap and Sent together - I might switch Nova around, I dunno. I think it's a good team, just my .02.

I run Ammy(Cold Star)/Doctor Doom(Missiles)/Taskmaster(Horizontal Arrows).

I fucking love how dumb Doctor Doom can be with either of those assists. Amaterasu with Missiles can be really hard for a lot of the cast to get away from them, and allows me space for glaive setups and reflector pressure, or both since I can keep them in blockstun for a billion years with the paper and missiles. Unfortunately, the team is kind of a one-hit wonder for me right now as my Doom needs to get better without assists and my Taskmaster is grade-A scrub forward:h: business. I have to step up my Doom and Tasky, but I won't be able to for another couple of weeks (still just playin this game at a friend's house for practice).

Thinking of running a MvC2 nostalgia team with Storm/Sentinel/AAA or Sentinel/Zoner/Assist.
    TOO MANY GAMES!
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Joined: Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭
    Modok(blaster)/ strange(eye)/ deadpool(quick work)

I would consider switching MODOK's assist to barrier or bomb, if you're trying to zone with Strange or Deadpool. Blaster covers an angle they both have complete control over.
    [quote="just5moreminutes;8594904"][b]"By the end of 2014, the Marvel community will be dead. People will still play it in casuals, since the game has that factor to it, but the release of newer, shiner, readily available anime fighters will rip the spotlight off Marvel entirely."[/b][/quote]
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Joined: Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭
    How is Firebrand (Swoop)/Nemesis (Slam)/Sentinel (Drones)?

I like the synergy between Firebrand and Drones. If Nemesis uses either of his level 1's, I DHC into Luminous body for an extended combo. If those two die, well... X-FACTOR 3 SENTINEL!:D
    [quote="just5moreminutes;8594904"][b]"By the end of 2014, the Marvel community will be dead. People will still play it in casuals, since the game has that factor to it, but the release of newer, shiner, readily available anime fighters will rip the spotlight off Marvel entirely."[/b][/quote]
  • TheBobbieFiascoTheBobbieFiasco An agent of [bfp] Joined: Posts: 146
    Frank West / Doctor Strange / Hulk. The team I decided on tonight.

Any suggestions on assists or possible change for synergy purposes?
    XBL: TheBobbieFiasco | Stillwater, OK
  • MysticRayMysticRay Mashes Dive Kick Until It Works. Joined: Posts: 4,732
    Frank West / Doctor Strange / Hulk. The team I decided on tonight.

Any suggestions on assists or possible change for synergy purposes?

MysticRay's Mahvelbytes:

Hmm let's take a gander at your set-up

Pros:
    Potentially High Damage Characters
    Good Zoning with level 3+ Frank and Doctor Strange
    Decent mix-up potential with Strange/Frank
    High Damage through hulk combos.
    Easy DHC from throws (Vishanti -> Anything)
    A character for each portion of the screen (close, mid,far)

Cons:
    Slow attack characters
    No formidable anchor
    No characters with aerial dominance
    I see trouble if Strange is knocked out early, without him you don't have much of a chance at getting in at the opponent or zoning them out.

General Strategy:

You have Frank on point, this is a no-no. Frank is a much better middle man and he doesn't become a viable point character until level 3 (19 hits). I suggest you swap Strange and Frank. I also suggest you learn a high hitting Strange Combo and then TAC to Frank for an easy level up.

Now Strange is good on point but he needs a good anti-air assist, I would use Hulk's AA Gamma Charge to help him in that endeavor.
    Frank would work well with Bolts to cover his slide, Hulk would work well Frank's cart assist so he can get in.

Now with your team of Strange/Frank/Hulk, this should be your strategy. Use Strange as faux keep away character to frustrate the opponent at the beginning of the match, After awhile turn on the aggresive play and teleport in when it's safe (Daggers M should cover you pretty well) and perform a 19+ hit combo.Immediately TAC to Frank. Snap a photo with Frank and immediately play keepaway with Item Toss.. We need to build meter for the rest of the battle.

If the opponent can outzone Frank then we have to go on the offensive, Fortunately Frank's Cart Hyper pummels through projectiles. Use this if need be. Once were in with Frank and score a clean hit. Finish the opponent's character if possible (using one meter max). If not we need to TAC to hulk, gain some meter in the process and let the big boy finish them up.

Now the strategy revolves around earning and saving meter for Frank. Why? Frank has an invincible hyper at Level 3+ (Survival Tools). With level 3 X-Factor we can punish opponents simply for making a move. So save power for the final fight if possible.

Well there you go. Have fun!
    UMVC3 Teams: Kawaiibrand/Skrub/Whackbot . Kawaiibrand/Dog/Skrub
    Lovez the chubbays and Dark Magician Fatty.
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • TheBobbieFiascoTheBobbieFiasco An agent of [bfp] Joined: Posts: 146
    MysticRay's Mahvelbytes:

Hmm let's take a gander at your set-up

Pros:
    Potentially High Damage Characters
    Good Zoning with level 3+ Frank and Doctor Strange
    Decent mix-up potential with Strange/Frank
    High Damage through hulk combos.
    Easy DHC from throws (Vishanti -> Anything)
    A character for each portion of the screen (close, mid,far)

Cons:
    Slow attack characters
    No formidable anchor
    No characters with aerial dominance
    I see trouble if Strange is knocked out early, without him you don't have much of a chance at getting in at the opponent or zoning them out.

General Strategy:

You have Frank on point, this is a no-no. Frank is a much better middle man and he doesn't become a viable point character until level 3 (19 hits). I suggest you swap Strange and Frank. I also suggest you learn a high hitting Strange Combo and then TAC to Frank for an easy level up.

Now Strange is good on point but he needs a good anti-air assist, I would use Hulk's AA Gamma Charge to help him in that endeavor.
    Frank would work well with Bolts to cover his slide, Hulk would work well Frank's cart assist so he can get in.

Now with your team of Strange/Frank/Hulk, this should be your strategy. Use Strange as faux keep away character to frustrate the opponent at the beginning of the match, After awhile turn on the aggresive play and teleport in when it's safe (Daggers M should cover you pretty well) and perform a 19+ hit combo.Immediately TAC to Frank. Snap a photo with Frank and immediately play keepaway with Item Toss.. We need to build meter for the rest of the battle.

If the opponent can outzone Frank then we have to go on the offensive, Fortunately Frank's Cart Hyper pummels through projectiles. Use this if need be. Once were in with Frank and score a clean hit. Finish the opponent's character if possible (using one meter max). If not we need to TAC to hulk, gain some meter in the process and let the big boy finish them up.

Now the strategy revolves around earning and saving meter for Frank. Why? Frank has an invincible hyper at Level 3+ (Survival Tools). With level 3 X-Factor we can punish opponents simply for making a move. So save power for the final fight if possible.

Well there you go. Have fun!

GOLD! SOLID GOLD! I greatly appreciate this!
    XBL: TheBobbieFiasco | Stillwater, OK
  • KamoKageKamoKage Joined: Posts: 19
    Hey guys,
    I am new to the fighting game community but I have been playing many fighting games in the past starting with dead or alive, to tekken tag, to soul caliber 2. It is something I enjoyed for quite some time but I digress. I want to get into the marvel scene. And I have been reading a lot of "tier" and "character loyalty". I feel that I play better when I pick characters that I actually want to play. Therefore the team I am interested in making is spiderman, vergil, and ghost rider. I was thinking of spiderman on point, vergil as user, and ghost rider as anchor to counter phoenix players with his ridiculous long range and the fact that he can just random super his whip that covers half the map. The only problem I see with this team (other than the fact that my characters have no health, which I like cause it forces me to learn to block and find openings rather than spamming) is no stable otg. Yes I am aware that spiderman and vergil have an otg but they are not very good, in my opinion that is. I also don't see very much DHC potential. If there is something I noticed from a majority of teams and good players is their main mission is to get you with 1 hit and then kill that character. I can't see doing that with this team. Tell me if you guys do, please I want all sugguestions: Is this team viable? do you feel that there would be enough synergy with each other? Remember guys don't just throw "no cause its not top tier or no in general." I need logic to understand, reasoning. Thank you guys and I can't wait to get my feet wet in a month or two competitively. =p
  • IceKitsuneIceKitsune Joined: Posts: 205
    Ok after trying out many teams I've finally made up my mind on my main team. I'm running Rocket (Log)/Thor (Smash)/Ammy (Cold Star) what do you guys think? Should I change the order or assists?
    UMVC3:Hulk/Felicia/Amaterasu,Captain America/Thor/Rocket VS:Felicia/Talbain
    SF(A2,AE,HDR,3S,CE):Akuma/Ryu/Sagat/Cammy/Chun-Li/Twelve SamSho2:ChamCham
    MCV2:Cammy/Doom/Sentinel,Hulk/Rogue/Captain Comando,Juggernaut/Tron/Black Heart
  • MysticRayMysticRay Mashes Dive Kick Until It Works. Joined: Posts: 4,732
    Hey guys,
    I am new to the fighting game community but I have been playing many fighting games in the past starting with dead or alive, to tekken tag, to soul caliber 2. It is something I enjoyed for quite some time but I digress. I want to get into the marvel scene. And I have been reading a lot of "tier" and "character loyalty". I feel that I play better when I pick characters that I actually want to play. Therefore the team I am interested in making is spiderman, vergil, and ghost rider. I was thinking of spiderman on point, vergil as user, and ghost rider as anchor to counter phoenix players with his ridiculous long range and the fact that he can just random super his whip that covers half the map. The only problem I see with this team (other than the fact that my characters have no health, which I like cause it forces me to learn to block and find openings rather than spamming) is no stable otg. Yes I am aware that spiderman and vergil have an otg but they are not very good, in my opinion that is. I also don't see very much DHC potential. If there is something I noticed from a majority of teams and good players is their main mission is to get you with 1 hit and then kill that character. I can't see doing that with this team. Tell me if you guys do, please I want all sugguestions: Is this team viable? do you feel that there would be enough synergy with each other? Remember guys don't just throw "no cause its not top tier or no in general." I need logic to understand, reasoning. Thank you guys and I can't wait to get my feet wet in a month or two competitively. =p

MysticRay's Mahvelbytes

Hmm lets take a gander at your set-up

Pros:
    2 mobile/ agile characters, 1 pesudo-zoner
    High mix-up potential with Parker and Virgil
    High damage through extended Virgil Combos, Ghost Rider bnbs
    Solid anchor of Virgil.
    Spiderman is a very tricky fighter to deal with and not many people know his match-up.

Cons:
    Team lacks a good projectile assist, Virgil and Spidey may have trouble getting safely in on the opponent.
    Spidey is an execution based character who will need alot of lab time to become effective. It takes work to learn his meterless 400k combos
    Lacks a pure zoner, Ghost Rider will be beaten out by strong zoners in your opponent's line-up.
    Team has little room for error, Spidey and Virgil will be destroyed on a couple of slip-ups.

Comments:
    The team has good potential to be solid, but you lack a solid projectile assist that can cover your "rushdown" characters.
    DHC Synergy is possible but you'll have to time your inputs correctly.

Suggested Strategy.

Your lineup should be Ghost Rider/Spidey/Virgil

Your first goal is to overwhelm the opponent with Ghost Rider's "zoning" (in addition to taking out characters as necessary).
    The second goal is to snap in our opponent's anchor with Spidey and finish them off. Also spidey must evade the x-factor duration of the opponent.
    Your final goal is to save meter and x-factor for virgil for the end

Why are we snapping in with Spidey?
    Spidey is a great character to do snap-backs with because of his very fast attacks. If spidey can eliminiate our opponent's anchor then we basically guarantee that Virgil will be able to powerfully decimate when the timer gets low. also a nifty little trick is ultimate web throw on recently snapped in opponent.

Why are we evading our opponent's x-factor with Spidey?
    He's extremely mobile and can dodge nearly anything if played right.

So heres the plan, at the start of the match we'll pester the opponent with ghost rider and make the opponent think that "this" is the backbone of the team. Keep ghost rider out and cause as much damage as possible until he gets to low health, then switch to the spider. Spidey has the job of not causing huge damage but snapping in and at least "roughing up" our opponent's anchor. When this task is complete, bring back in ghost rider if necessary or continue butt-whopping with Spiderman. But be warned, our opponent will probably be using X-factor soon so we must keep spidey alive. When X-factor is activated we simply runaway with spiderman until it's finished.

Now comes our fatal blow, Virgil.

Equip X-factor, Devil Trigger, and go to town. Use teleports, simply get in and end the fight. You can't run from an X-factor Virgil.

Good luck! Have fun!
    UMVC3 Teams: Kawaiibrand/Skrub/Whackbot . Kawaiibrand/Dog/Skrub
    Lovez the chubbays and Dark Magician Fatty.
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • KamoKageKamoKage Joined: Posts: 19
    MysticRay's Mahvelbytes

Hmm lets take a gander at your set-up

Pros:
    2 mobile/ agile characters, 1 pesudo-zoner
    High mix-up potential with Parker and Virgil
    High damage through extended Virgil Combos, Ghost Rider bnbs
    Solid anchor of Virgil.
    Spiderman is a very tricky fighter to deal with and not many people know his match-up.

Cons:
    Team lacks a good projectile assist, Virgil and Spidey may have trouble getting safely in on the opponent.
    Spidey is an execution based character who will need alot of lab time to become effective. It takes work to learn his meterless 400k combos
    Lacks a pure zoner, Ghost Rider will be beaten out by strong zoners in your opponent's line-up.
    Team has little room for error, Spidey and Virgil will be destroyed on a couple of slip-ups.

Comments:
    The team has good potential to be solid, but you lack a solid projectile assist that can cover your "rushdown" characters.
    DHC Synergy is possible but you'll have to time your inputs correctly.

Suggested Strategy.

Your lineup should be Ghost Rider/Spidey/Virgil

Your first goal is to overwhelm the opponent with Ghost Rider's "zoning" (in addition to taking out characters as necessary).
    The second goal is to snap in our opponent's anchor with Spidey and finish them off. Also spidey must evade the x-factor duration of the opponent.
    Your final goal is to save meter and x-factor for virgil for the end

Why are we snapping in with Spidey?
    Spidey is a great character to do snap-backs with because of his very fast attacks. If spidey can eliminiate our opponent's anchor then we basically guarantee that Virgil will be able to powerfully decimate when the timer gets low. also a nifty little trick is ultimate web throw on recently snapped in opponent.

Why are we evading our opponent's x-factor with Spidey?
    He's extremely mobile and can dodge nearly anything if played right.

So heres the plan, at the start of the match we'll pester the opponent with ghost rider and make the opponent think that "this" is the backbone of the team. Keep ghost rider out and cause as much damage as possible until he gets to low health, then switch to the spider. Spidey has the job of not causing huge damage but snapping in and at least "roughing up" our opponent's anchor. When this task is complete, bring back in ghost rider if necessary or continue butt-whopping with Spiderman. But be warned, our opponent will probably be using X-factor soon so we must keep spidey alive. When X-factor is activated we simply runaway with spiderman until it's finished.

Now comes our fatal blow, Virgil.

Equip X-factor, Devil Trigger, and go to town. Use teleports, simply get in and end the fight. You can't run from an X-factor Virgil.

Good luck! Have fun!

I love you =p
  • sandwichofdoomsandwichofdoom Hyped for Injustice: Gods among us Joined: Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    I would consider switching MODOK's assist to barrier or bomb, if you're trying to zone with Strange or Deadpool. Blaster covers an angle they both have complete control over.
    Good idea.
    MVC3: (Firebrand/Ghost Rider/Dormmamu), (Skrull/Rocket Raccoon/Nova),(Iron Fist/Hawkeye/Shuma Gorath),(Modok/Doctor Strange/Deadpool)
    Mortal Kombat: Kabal,Kenshi GG:Zappa,Faust SSF4: Vega,Bison,Juri 3's: Alex,twelve
    sfxt: Rolento,Hwoarang, King,Lei,Bryan Tekken: Feng, King, Hwoarang,Lei SC:Voldo Skullgirls: Peacock
    Darkstalkers: L.raprtor,Donovan,Jedah,Anakaris. Blazblue: Arakune JoJo's: JoJo, Dio, S.Dio
  • K_For_KimuraK_For_Kimura I'll swing on you fool. Joined: Posts: 124
    I know someones going to get on my ass just for using this team , (Vergil,Hulk,Wesker)
    I know the c.LMH j.MHS (Samurai shot) (Vergils special).
    Just looking for more setups or critique on my team because thats the only real combo i know. lmao
    UMVC3: Captain America/Dormammu/Wesker
    SSFIV:AE: Akuma
    Level 4 Wesker, to the rescue!
    "For the pain, for the pain. Novacane, novacane."
  • SnarfSnarf Joined: Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide on an anchor for my team. of Cap/Frank.

Trying to decide between Sentinel and Hawkeye. They both have assists that benefit Frank and Cap. Sentinel is obviously easier to use and does more damage, but I feel like I get blown up more when I use him. Any thoughts?
  • NissanZaximaNissanZaxima Joined: Posts: 7,686

Trying to decide between Sentinel and Hawkeye. They both have assists that benefit Frank and Cap. Sentinel is obviously easier to use and does more damage, but I feel like I get blown up more when I use him. Any thoughts?

I would say it comes down to Sentinel Drones being a better assist vs Hawkeye being a better point character. However, since its in your 3rd slot anchor Sentinel is pretty good with X factor. Hawkeye is an alright anchor if you have meter to chuck gimlets (QCF hyper) for chip (but then if they have XFC to negate the chip then you are out of luck). Pretty much if Sentinel touches you in level 3 you are dead... whether it be an low, high, aerial hit, throw, air throw, or command grab.

I would actually argue Hawkeye is the easier character to learn in the 3rd slot because although Sentinels combos are easy opening people up with him isn't the easiest.

I would say go with Sentinel ATM but you should mess around with both to see what you personally like better. Characters in MvC3 are pretty basic so its pretty easy to learn a handful of them. You get ambigous left/rights with Cap and Frank (level 2 or above for his roll) with either drones or arrows assists so both will work well... drones give you a little bigger window to set them up though and are much better for locking people down.
    XBL: NissanZaxima
    Twitter: NissanZaxima18
  • AvariceXAvariceX Joined: Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭
    With the amount of team-building advice I've given out in the past I find myself surprised to be posting this, but I'm having a hell of a time finding an anchor that suits my style.

I'm set on Zero-a/Doom-b for sure now. I've been running Strange but he's very limited against anyone who knows how to fight him (but blows up people who don't for free).

-Sentinel is really good for this duo because drones are just that good, but Sentinel left on his own has problems (then again he only ever needs to touch you once).

-Vergil is an option but it would make more sense to run him second for the Zero/Vergil DHC brokenness, and I don't really like Doom as an anchor.

-I've started playing around with Phoenix because I can build ludicrous amounts of meter with Zero/Doom, and it allows me to go for the fancy assist-extended combos without worrying about dropping them before the super (I wouldn't super anyway so I only lose a bit of damage).

-I'm considering Dormammu (as I think he is top 5 in the game now) but have almost no experience playing him and his assists are a little too centralized for my taste.

-I've considered Strider as an alternative to Phoenix since it's not quite as much of a meter commitment, but the fact that his vajra assist can whiff entirely on mobile characters (and is incredibly vulnerable) really turns me off from him.

-Chrisis planted this idea in my head that Firebrand is amazing so I thought about using him (I have no qualms with tier-whoring) but I don't know if his assists are enough to cover my approaches with Zero and Doom.

-Wesker is always a solid anchor, and opens up unblockables and easy (easier anyway) combos from air-throws for Zero. Of course his assist does nothing to get me in so I'd be relying on Doom's missiles which isn't necessarily a bad thing but if I can't call Doom mid-combo then I lose a lot of combo damage for Zero, and Wesker's assist does nothing for Zero's combos.

-Hawkeye has an amazing assist and is a really good anchor (I've seen it in action from a couple great players too much to let anyone convince me otherwise). He's a bit lacking in the mobility and style department that I love though. Also there's the issue that one of the regulars in our group of players has Hawkeye on his main team - it's not a big issue but variety is always beneficial to the group.

-Other characters I've pondered briefly: Morrigan, Viper, Deadpool, Magneto, Nova, Taskmaster, Rocket Raccoon. Each of them have their own merits but also lack one thing or another in regards to team synergy or anchor potential. It's important that the character matches my style too (needs to be mobile and have the potential to do stylish combos basically).
    UMvC3: Firebrand/Zero/Dante; Zero/Dante/Strider; MvC2: MSP
    SFIV: Juri | 3S: Yun| ST: O.Ryu
    BB: Rachel, Makoto, u-12
  • ChrisisChrisis Follows her path Joined: Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snip.
    What do you want the most out of the last character and what areas do they need to cover? Do you want to increase your ground dominance more, have some greater air coverage or what? Your 2 starting points are really good and have a lot of variety in what they could do. I personally would opt for a character with a strong lock down assist since both of them have such scary mix up with one. Amaterasu with Cold star stands out the most to me as something that both your characters would love, paired with someone who when/if Zero dies pairs really well with Doom for DHCing back and forth.
    Isis is something shiny that likes water.
    What do you want the most out of the last character and what areas do they need to cover? Do you want to increase your ground dominance more, have some greater air coverage or what? Your 2 starting points are really good and have a lot of variety in what they could do. I personally would opt for a character with a strong lock down assist since both of them have such scary mix up with one. Amaterasu with Cold star stands out the most to me as something that both your characters would love, paired with someone who when/if Zero dies pairs really well with Doom for DHCing back and forth.

I think ground dominance is the important part. I ran Ammy very briefly in vanilla and replaced her for the same reason I eventually replaced Akuma: If I'm stuck at full-screen then calling her doesn't do anything to cover my command dash approach with Zero, but calling Sentinel (or Strange, or Iron Man) does. Then again with the added mobility of buster cancels maybe it's not an issue anymore.... or maybe I should just exercise more care with my approaches.
    If you want something dominant at the ranged game that also leads to scary coverage of many options have you explored Storm at all? I feel that her horizontal typhoon is dramatically under rated especially paired with Zero's command dashes and buster to clear the initial path. Though like your Vergil issue it would be tempting to pair Zero Storm since then you get the pants on head retarded hail storm Sougenmu DHC of doom.

I would say Firebrand, but I don't feel his assists contribute to what you want it to based on what you've described thus far.
  • nagainagai Joined: Posts: 12
    K neat, I'm thinking of running spiderman, dorm, ryu (tatsu). The thought behind this team is to build around dorm. Spiderman is a good battery character and has very good DHC synergy with dorm. The rationale behind ryu is that it can serve as a defensive option with tatsu's high priority and can lock the opponent into mixups, with both characters. What do you guys think? Is there a better candidate for ryu's spot (someone suggested akuma for example)? What about spiderman? Thanks in advance.

Don't mean to be annoying, but can I get some help please?
  • LazyactorLazyactor Joined: Posts: 26
    I've been trying to build a zoning/keepaway team with Viewtiful Joe without completely ripping off Dieminion. Right now I'm flip flopping between Joe/Ghost Rider/Dorm and Deadpool/Joe/Taskmaster. Or is there a different combination? Which of those would be better? Any other characters to try out? I tested Arthur for awhile but his mobility really bothers me.
    If you want something dominant at the ranged game that also leads to scary coverage of many options have you explored Storm at all? I feel that her horizontal typhoon is dramatically under rated especially paired with Zero's command dashes and buster to clear the initial path. Though like your Vergil issue it would be tempting to pair Zero Storm since then you get the pants on head retarded hail storm Sougenmu DHC of doom.

I would say Firebrand, but I don't feel his assists contribute to what you want it to based on what you've described thus far.

Storm was brought up in my discussion with another player yesterday (I've mentioned this guy a few times in the past - he's solid, plays Mags/Wesker/Hawkeye and has placed 2nd at a couple tournaments in our area). I forgot to mention that I was also considering her. I have no experience with her though and I don't really come from a Marvel 2 background and find Magneto difficult to control (in vanilla anyway) so I don't know how I'll do with Storm. I don't think I've ever seen her used as an anchor either but on paper I think she has all the tools for it (similar to Mags). Can't be any easier to lame her out than Sentinel anyway XD.

I also have no idea what the Hailstorm > Sougenmu DHC entails....hadangeki/buster spam coupled with the hailstorm hits, or is it possible to command-dash up and get a combo from it?
  • SpiegelmannSpiegelmann Wright all the Time Joined: Posts: 154

They're both good choices. They both can dominate with xf3, but hawkeye is probably better at making comebacks. Sentinel requires more patience than hawkeye, in my opinion. A lot of time I see sentinels pop xf3 and try to rush me down improperly and I can punish them very easily with proper blocking. Sentinel obviously have the better assist, though. However, frank already has a shopping cart assist to pressure people (assuming you're using shopping kart anyway), so drones probably aren't that necessary, especially considering you could have a better anchor character if you decide to not use drones. Hawkeye can easily chip to victory in xf3 and if he gets a combo it's guaranteed death (just like sentinel).

TL;DR: Hawkeye, imo.

My team:
    Ammy/Phoenix Wright/Not decided

I'm trying to build a team around phoenix wright and I've wanted to start using ammy as well. I haven't tested it yet but I think okami shuffle stays on screen even if you dhc? Not sure, but it'd be great for PW if it did. I was thinking of running it as Ammy/PW/???

I was thinking of using hawkeye as anchor because I've been interested in playing him for a while and his anchor is just amazing. He's also easy to dhc into with any team.

The synergy:
    -Ammy combos ending with okami shuffle can dhc into maya for free evidence
    -Cold star is broken
    -Meter assist could be good as well for PW mainly
    -PW can dhc back into Ammy for free mist setups/ combos
    -Press the witness is always good

Suggestions for anchor and thoughts on the team in general would be great! Thanks in
    advance.

EDIT: Could iron man work as anchor? He seems usable now. Combos are really weird.
    MvC3:Spider-man/Doom/Wesker, Zero/Sent/Wesker
    UMvC3: (Mains)Dante/Sent/Doom, Doom/Dorm/Wesker, (fun) Ghost Rider/ Phoenix Wright/Wesker
  • El_MaizEl_Maiz You can never tell with that guy Joined: Posts: 3,023
    I'm having trouble finding a good/viable team for my MODOK. I played Deadpool/MODOK/Sentinel in Vanilla, but a lot of my team strategy has kinda fallen apart. I'm not enjoying Deadpool anymore, and Sentinel is not a good anchor.

So here is my ideas thus far.
    On point, I enjoy:
    Felicia
    Viewtiful Joe
    Hulk
    Hawkeye
    Haggar
    Hsien-Ko
    Tron
    Akuma (Yes, on POINT)
    Chris

As Anchor, I generally have:
    Dormammu
    Akuma
    Doctor Doom
    Super Skrull

Second character is MODOK.
    Any thoughts on a viable team composition?
  • Nick KageNick Kage Hand of Enchantment Joined: Posts: 253
    Been trying to use Wesker (b)/Ghost Rider(a)/Dorm(a), but the synergy just doesn't seem to be there. Is there something I'm missing? I've tried flipping Wesker and Ghost Rider but the Wesker assists don't seem to be great for Rider (low shot is awesome in theory but I find it hard to actually set up the unblockable) As an alternate I've been using Ghost Rider (a)/Sent(a)/Dorm(a), which works very well but I'd really like to get Wesker in there since he was my main in vanilla. Any advice for me?
    Storm was brought up in my discussion with another player yesterday (I've mentioned this guy a few times in the past - he's solid, plays Mags/Wesker/Hawkeye and has placed 2nd at a couple tournaments in our area). I forgot to mention that I was also considering her. I have no experience with her though and I don't really come from a Marvel 2 background and find Magneto difficult to control (in vanilla anyway) so I don't know how I'll do with Storm. I don't think I've ever seen her used as an anchor either but on paper I think she has all the tools for it (similar to Mags). Can't be any easier to lame her out than Sentinel anyway XD.

I also have no idea what the Hailstorm > Sougenmu DHC entails....hadangeki/buster spam coupled with the hailstorm hits, or is it possible to command-dash up and get a combo from it?

She's much easier in ultimate than she was in vanilla. I definitely think she can be a threat.

The Hailstorm Sougenmu DHC is silly because hail stays out regardless if storm is there and depending on where you activated you if your enemy was on the ground you can often solo unblockable by air command dash B into air C, 2B since the C is timed at the same time as a hit of hail and the 2B hits at the same time as shadowed air C.
  • MezzanineMezzanine Joined: Posts: 8
    Been trying to build around Jill and Strange (Probably Bolts though I also like Eye) and I'm looking for a 3rd. I like Thor but I can't find a fit. Leaning towards Akuma (Tatsu) as an anchor but I might run into a limbs problem. Thoughts?
  • collinbotcollinbot I'm pretty terrible. Joined: Posts: 21
    I have been running Firebrand (?), Hawkeye (a), Dorm (a). Firebrand does low damage, but his potential for mix ups and resets is great. I will probably just end up using his OTG assist because his other two are pretty lack luster. One big question I do have is about Dorm's anchor potential. I really like using him because Darkhole is great for holding opponents in block stun for Firebrand to get in and either mix/cross up or help him to use his Demon Missile H unblockable charge, but I seem to remember not a lot of people running him as anchor in Vanilla. I know this is a different game, but I was wondering if someone with much more Dorm anchor experience could give some insight to his ability to do this. I was thinking of switching to Doom (missiles), but I would like to keep Dorm.
    Bold, Italic, Comic Sans

C-Bot

XBL: Cbot Von Koopa
  • Flashy NightsFlashy Nights Partial to long stories. Joined: Posts: 4,144
    My main team is Magnus (disruptor) Dr Strange (The Eye) Dormammu (Dark Hole)

Magnus attraction/repulsion etc + Eye along with Dark Hole cut off on my opponents movement, I also start him 1st because he still builds great meter.

Ds place on the team is 2nd to make use of the meter Magnus builds, by using SOV/ 7 Rings to punish and pop assist and just get going, not to mention he is extremely deadly with XF2 Makes use of Magnus disruptor for left or right mix ups and use of dark hole to extend combos and lock down.

Dormammu is to clean up any mess the Magus + Ds combo leave behind, with the use of dark spell TOD combos, chip kills, self unblockables XF3 etc etc.
    Umvc3: Magnus, DS, Dante /Dormammu, DS, Magnus
    SF4:M.Bison
    I have been running Firebrand (?), Hawkeye (a), Dorm (a). Firebrand does low damage, but his potential for mix ups and resets is great. I will probably just end up using his OTG assist because his other two are pretty lack luster. One big question I do have is about Dorm's anchor potential. I really like using him because Darkhole is great for holding opponents in block stun for Firebrand to get in and either mix/cross up or help him to use his Demon Missile H unblockable charge, but I seem to remember not a lot of people running him as anchor in Vanilla. I know this is a different game, but I was wondering if someone with much more Dorm anchor experience could give some insight to his ability to do this. I was thinking of switching to Doom (missiles), but I would like to keep Dorm.

Dorm is literally one of the best anchors in the game. Great X-factor, great ability ot hit two characters, amazing supers, great chip, great mixups, good mobility.

He's the complete package. He even has good health.
  • YungKratosYungKratos My mom's a Skullgirl Joined: Posts: 631
    My 2 main teams right now are zero(srk)/vergil(rapid slash)/doom(beam) my main issue with this team is that my zero isnt that good yet and im mainly eating up time which isnt good with doom as my anchor since hes free to keepaway. I do think that if i give zero another month thisll be my best team.
    My other team is doom(missiles)/Vergil(srk)/sent(drones) this is my strongest team. mainly due to the fact that dooms my best character however he is also the downfall of the team. aaing and neutral contol is the issue
    Check out AoF Dojo on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/AOFDojo
    "Integrating the Fighting Game Community and Education one Mashed uppercut at a time
  • Flashy NightsFlashy Nights Partial to long stories. Joined: Posts: 4,144
    Dorm is literally one of the best anchors in the game. Great X-factor, great ability ot hit two characters, amazing supers, great chip, great mixups, good mobility.

Most of all Dormammu has Tod dark spell combos which builds a bar, and saves your meter for chip kill usage etc in XF.
    Umvc3: Magnus, DS, Dante /Dormammu, DS, Magnus
    SF4:M.Bison
  • CampbellCampbell Joined: Posts: 129
    What do you guys think about Wesker/Ryu/???, who should I have as an anchor? Keep in mind I'm a beginner looking for an easier character.
  • collinbotcollinbot I'm pretty terrible. Joined: Posts: 21

Awesome. I will stick with him then. Thanks for the info. I am pretty new to these things so I appreciate any advice and opinions of veteran players.
    Bold, Italic, Comic Sans

C-Bot

XBL: Cbot Von Koopa
  • Easy_MacEasy_Mac Joined: Posts: 129
    Looking to get as much feedback as possible on the current team I have going on.

Ghost Rider (Chain of Rebutal)/Nova (Centurion Rush)/Doctor Doom (Hidden Missiles)

Any and all feedback is needed and greatly appreciated.
    Name: MacGyver (or Mac if you can't pronounce it)
    PSN: ThePhxRebirth
    Games: UMvC3, SSF4: AE 2012, MW3, BF3 & SCV
  • Coco292Coco292 Joined: Posts: 10
    So I've been looking to make a team completely focused on Strider on point but the problem is I only like a set amount of characters in this game and I just can't seem to find a team that would be decent
    Characters I like : Wolverine, Arthur, Rocket Raccoon, Captain America, Spidey, and Shuma Gorath, and possibly ammy.

any suggestions for teams and assists would be greatly appreciated since Im VERY new to the MvC competitive scene.
  • TuboWareTuboWare Mouth of the Midwest Joined: Posts: 2,099 mod
    Just wanted to drop in and say that you guys are doing an excellent job in here. Keep up with the positive discussion and knowledgeable advice!!
    Owner of www.IFDWEAR.com
    Follow me on twitter! www.twitter.com/tuboware
    Follow IFDWear on twitter too!! www.twitter.com/IFDWear
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,936 ✭✭
    snip

hmmm... you seem to be the go to guy for this. i'm having trouble finding a third for my team.

chun (legs) sent (drones) (?)

finding an anchor is harder for me than i thought. my current picks for anchor are: felicia,arthur,hawkeye,ironman, maaaaybe task or chris. basically i want a beam assist in the 3rd slot... hawkeye would be perfect but his assist is duckable on some of the cast which really kills some of my game with how i want to use him (watch flashmetroid versus ryan hunter and see how storm ducking under hawkeyes assist when strange crossup teleported gave ryan some frustrations)

any thoughts from you or anybody else would be appreciated.

-dime
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
  • chirpchirp Joined: Posts: 3,169
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Sin_CorazonSin_Corazon Bub Joined: Posts: 3
    Currently, I've been messing around with Wesker(lower shot), Vergil(judgement cut), and Strider (Vajra)

Although Vajra gives be quite a bit of vertical breathing room for vergil and uncle wesky, I still feel the team is rather lacking. I took the trio online (with a respectable 10-3 W/L) to find that I'm severely lacking in the combo extension department. Vergil can function fine on his lonesome, but wesker doesn't have as many solo combo options (at least none that a mid-level execution player like myself is aware of).

Do you guys have any suggestions that would benefit my wesker on point? Thoughts about Strider as an anchor? Team swaps?

Here are some characters that I've been in the lab with, all of which I'm proficient enough with to switch in if need be:

Viper
    Magnus
    Sent
    Storm
    Dormington
    Nova
    X-23
  • SentinelPilotSentinelPilot For my Kingdom Joined: Posts: 86
    I'm trying to put together a team that excels at zoning the other player out. After much testing I have found that most of the time I do a pretty good job of keeping the enemy out but not so much at rushing in (I mean I do the Vergil teleport + Drones, but that is pretty basic). I would like to know which characters have a strong zoning potential and assists that would help them.

Thanks.
    BlazBlue CS2: Tager, Jin
    Future Main: Relius Clover
    Skullgirls Teams
    Solo: Parasoul
    Two man: Parasoul, Peacock/Cerebella
    Full Team: Peacock, Parasoul, Cerebella
    Massive Hype for Skullgirls!!!
  • catbondcatbond The Wassailer Supreme Joined: Posts: 669
    I'm trying to put together a team that excels at zoning the other player out. After much testing I have found that most of the time I do a pretty good job of keeping the enemy out but not so much at rushing in (I mean I do the Vergil teleport + Drones, but that is pretty basic). I would like to know which characters have a strong zoning potential and assists that would help them.

Thanks.
    Arthur, Chris, Doom, Hawkeye, Rocket, Strange, Taskmaster, Trish imo have the most effective zoning tools. The key is figuring out what angles your character covers well, then choose an assist that fills in the blanks. In general Doom Missiles are a great assist since they automatically cover whatever angle your opponent is approaching from and have the added benefit of a Doom in the backseat since he's a strong candidate for XF3.

Outside of that I'd say that Hawkeye would be the best option on-point since he has the most practical options and is capable of covering multiple angles on his own. For second I'd recommend Taskmaster. His horizontal arrows are fast, strong, and give Hawkeye the freedom to shoot his arrows everywhere else.

EDIT: Fuck me, did I just make Honzogonzo's team?
    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

UMvC3: Haggar-α/Ryu-γ/Hulk-α, Frank-α/Haggar-α/Ghost Rider-α
    MvC3: Haggar-α/Deadpool-α/Amaterasu-β, Wolverine-γ/Doom-γ/Akuma-β
    SSFIV:AE: Dan, Dhalsim, Balrog
    BB:CS: Litchi, Ragna
    Arthur, Chris, Doom, Hawkeye, Rocket, Strange, Taskmaster, Trish imo have the most effective zoning tools. The key is figuring out what angles your character covers well, then choose an assist that fills in the blanks. In general Doom Missiles are a great assist since they automatically cover whatever angle your opponent is approaching from and have the added benefit of a Doom in the backseat since he's a strong candidate for XF3.

Outside of that I'd say that Hawkeye would be the best option on-point since he has the most practical options and is capable of covering multiple angles on his own. For second I'd recommend Taskmaster. His horizontal arrows are fast, strong, and give Hawkeye the freedom to shoot his arrows everywhere else.

EDIT: Fuck me, did I just make Honzogonzo's team?

Don't forget Deadpool. His zoning beats a lot of other people's, and it only got better in Ultimate.
  • Edwin HEdwin H Joined: Posts: 1
    I really need some help and ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. I play a Wolvie/?/Wesker team (in that order) my pressure with Wolvie is pretty solid. Wesker is a great OTG assist char and a great anchor. But I have absolutely no idea who to use in my second slot, i would really like a mediocre character that helps me get in with Wolvie, or mix up my opponent. I gave Frank West a shot, shopping cart was good but i didnt like having to work for his levels and all that. Any suggestions guys?
    Hey what do you guys think about Super Skrull/Sentinel/Storm? I likethe synergy but I'm not sure if they can back eachother up enough to be a good team.
  • DiscoCokkroachDiscoCokkroach Robot Master Joined: Posts: 139
    I'm currently running Cap/PW/Dorm. It's a PW team (as is EVERY team w/PW), but I like the synergy between Cap/Dorm so much that I want to replace PW. Any thoughts on who it should be?
    Amingo is great he has both kinds of options Jumping High Kick and ducking light kick
    --EVIL CAP AMERICA
  • ThumperThumper Joined: Posts: 62
    hi all, i'm somewhat new to the fighting game scene (i only started when Vanilla mvc3 came out) and i was hoping for some feedback:

my team right now is Nova (barrier assist)/Doom (plasma beam)/Wesker (gun shot).

and before you all start hating on me because i use wesker, i wanna just say that i chose him day 1 in Vanilla, before i knew he was any good or anything. he was actually why i bought the game (saw him on trailers on youtube) :P anyway, your thoughts on my team?
    Also Chris/Trish/Hawkeye for a keepaway team.