Avenging Spiderman- The UMvC3 Matchup Thread

xero15xero15 Follow me on TwitterJoined: Posts: 4,076
Was noticing we still don't have a match up thread but I know we need one :lol: I'll come back to edit this post later similar to how Airborne is doing in the Team Building thread. But for now I wanted to say that Maximum Spider can counter Hawkeye's Quick Shot super on reaction due to the invincibility of Maximum Spider going to the wall. This makes the arrow aim where you were and leaves Hawkeye open since he likes to pose after his shots :lol:
I blame... the new generation for wanting things to be easy :annoy:
I'm that Spider-man guy... or better yet, just call me Z
If you don't like change you'll like irrelevance even less.

Comments

• DeskLampTVDeskLampTV Joined: Posts: 890
    only Spider-man has the Spider-sense and reflexes to dodge that arrow haha. Avenging Spider-man could have been the title for the team building thread because I think that comic is about team ups with Spidey, but i could be wrong.
    What is the best way to take out a deadpool using his guns and teleporting around? I have a very hard time getting in on a good zoning Deadpool and comboing after the first hit.
  • TeriosTerios Where do you want me to break you first? Joined: Posts: 1,675
    Yeah it is. So far he's only done Red Hulk though. >:C It's only doing team ups with Avengers though. Hence the name.

On Deadpool I usually just hop around and use web balls and zips. Try to get him predictable with the guns. Web throws if I think I can catch him. Since I use Strange (EoA) I can call the eye and web throw. It'll eat up the shots and assure me a throw as long as he doesn't have meter. Try messing around with your assists?
    Rashiidoooooooo!
    Thanks. I've started using Hawkeye on my team so maybe I can try calling his greyhound assist and web ball at the same time because his arrows have pretty high durability. After I hit him with an air web ball xx webzip and j. h, he is off the ground and he starts getting juggled. This throws me of because my normal combos don't work when he gets juggled like that. If I manage to hit him with that, would s. M s. H xx M web throw work once I land?
  • xero15xero15 Follow me on Twitter Joined: Posts: 4,076
    Yeah I know it's a team up series BUT I couldn't think of anything else match related other than the line used when Gwen Stacy died, plus I refuse to use any line from the movie series
    Not sure. You should keep in mind that Greyhound has 9 points(3 per arrow) and Trigger Happy has 8 all together so 1 arrow is getting through. So if you let Web Ball hit before the arrows only the arrows will hit, if it's in between he'll probably get webbed and hit by the arrows making follow ups hard Try to get the ball to travel right after the arrows and dash in after it. He'll either be dedicated to the guns and thus getting web balled or he can ninja gift which you should be able to avoid on reaction assuming the arrows don't kill it on your way up.

Not sure if the M Web throw thing would work. Can't imagine why it wouldn't.

Awww but the first movie had BOOOOONESAAAAWWWW!
    Rashiidoooooooo!
    Look I like snapping into a slim jim as much as the next person, rest his soul, but BOOOOOOONESAAAAAAWWWW ain't in this game :rofl:
    He should have been. Also Anti-Venom, Aunt May and Green Goblin.
    Rashiidoooooooo!
    Hell if Phoenix Wright could be made playable why not an old lady who's probably been brought back to life more times that Phoenix with her wave of mashers :rofl:
  • AirborneAirborne The Mad Scientist Joined: Posts: 1,090
    Awwww, I wanted to make the Match-Up thread. =( Didn't give me enough time to get to a satisfying spot with the Team-Building thread. Anyways, I'd like to discuss the format of this thread with you because I had a lot of ideas with how to describe each MU.

Also, I'm guessing this is possible, but I haven't tested it yet: is it possible to cancel everything cancel-able into Web Zip into :u: Web Zip? Because I think we could still be able to advance from full screen if we toss a :l: Web Ball, cancel into :u: Web Zip, air dash/Web Swing forward, then toss a Web Ball or something... Haven't thought of all the possibilities quite yet because I just thought of the idea of using this tactic to advance instead of instant overheads with mid-screen block strings, but you get the point.
    Robo-mitsu: Wish I could ride a robo-tiger to work.
    Evil_Rahsaan: Airborne ur a mad scientist.
    XxDiana_PrinceXx: 6 years old shouldnt be playing sf4 its not suited for her, sorry!!! SSF4 is rated T for 13 and above. :nono:
  • JohypnolJohypnol Freeter Parker Joined: Posts: 228
    Also, I'm guessing this is possible, but I haven't tested it yet: is it possible to cancel everything cancel-able into Web Zip into :u: Web Zip? Because I think we could still be able to advance from full screen if we toss a :l: Web Ball, cancel into :u: Web Zip, air dash/Web Swing forward, then toss a Web Ball or something...

yes that's possible its one of my strategies and you should post that in the general strategy thread for advancing :razzy:

As for the format you can PM how you want it set up. I only made it cuz there was a matchup topic made into a thread plus I was PM'ing one of the mods to sticky all the UMvC3 stuff
    Love you, and holy shit, that's faster than I thought it'd be. @___@ OOOOOOOOOOO, I just thought of something. I'll post it in the strategy thread.
    yes that's possible its one of my strategies and you should post that in the general strategy thread for advancing :razzy:

As for the format you can PM how you want it set up. I only made it cuz there was a matchup topic made into a thread plus I was PM'ing one of the mods to sticky all the UMvC3 stuff

Will do, sir!
    I'll PM you tomorrow so I have my thoughts straight and we can discuss the best way to present all of the information. We haven't had our long-ass PM threads in almost a month, have we? XDD
    XxDiana_PrinceXx: 6 years old shouldnt be playing sf4 its not suited for her, sorry!!! SSF4 is rated T for 13 and above. :nono:
  • ButterKnifeButterKnife Joined: Posts: 27
    Is it just me or has Captain America become Spidey's hardest matchup? When he jumps back and does air shield slashes while covering himself with an assist, I can't figure out how to consistently get in. Even Ghost Rider's keepaway doesn't seem as tough to me.

I cover myself with a beam assist, try coming in from high angles, I've tried catching him with Web Throws... but the shield on the way back in combination with his quick recovery always throws Spidey off. I'm starting to resort to switching Spider-man off point when I see Cap on point.
    It's always been a hard matchup. Cap's defense is hella high, I love it and I don't play him yet :lol:, but the strength of his defense is he's a fort. You can't rush in on him and you can't block all day. If you know he's going to Sheild slash you from the air to the ground you can bait it and punish with maximum spider. Also you can wave dash under the shield then neutral jump and then do what you want from there. Be careful because by this time he has time to do stars and stripes or charging star/hyper charging star. Personally I give him a taste of his own medicine. He can't out zone Spidey since Spidey can hit from angles Cap can't get to. This makes him rush in to you letting down his defense some. web balls canceled into back zip on the ground or in the air down back and up back zip canceled web balls get to where he's at and pin him down longer. When he tries to make the horizontal advance prepare to counter charging star. If he goes high prepare to get under him and hit him with some crossup shenanigans. Once you get a feel of what he's doing and how he plays the matchup becomes easier
    Yeah. That match up annoyed me even in Vanilla. Didn't get to play enough Caps to really get the feel of the matchup.
    Rashiidoooooooo!
  • KILABEEKILABEE scrub magnet Joined: Posts: 153
    YO no lie i was getting mad frustrated facing a good cap.
    but it makes me feel good that cap was being so good now since he was on the same boat as spidey since vanilla.
    he was such a good character before they nerfed him on the sheild slash infinite and some other stuff.
    but now cap is GREAT!! he is actually a good pair with spiderman as well.

but one thing that cap can controll is airspace and he can combo off those slashes and make it hurt!
    so really try and be cautious when coming in!

IMO since the air dash nerf ive been really careful of my approaches...esp against this guy.
    dude hits like a freight train!
    my spidey sense is tingling......in my pants

KILABEEP3 add me on XBL and PSN

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • ecksyzecksyz Joined: Posts: 66
    last night i had the toughest time against a zero/dante/nova player. he started zero on point every time against my spidey and it just seemed impossible to catch the guy while he flew around the screen with super jumps and teleports and raikousen (i think that's what it's called, the lightning attack). not to mention he always kept a charged buster which stopped me as soon as i got even a little bit close. and if i waited for him to come to me i had to deal with his ridiculous teleport/high-low mixups using his two assists.

i just had to do everything i could to get in or else try to block his mixups, which i couldn't do forever. what sucked most was that zero's movement kept him out of the way of any web walls and there was no way i was gonna catch him in the air with a web throw. and without a good get off me assist i wasn't able to keep him from getting in.

anyone have tips on the zero matchup?
  • phantasyphantasy Smash Journeyman Joined: Posts: 8,558
    zero (and spencer) are the toughest matchups. they are very hard to beat. the best assists against them are vajra, mystic ray, hidden missiles, and sometimes jam session. if you're not willing to run them, then you're going to struggle ;[ I even struggle while using hidden missiles against zero.

Overall, you could also run a game plan focusing on denying his assists or his buster charge on your assists based on what assists you have. I run hawkeye triple arrow which can clear out my opponent's assists. basically you can maneuver the ground while he maneuvers the super jump height and just do your best to hit his assists a few times whenever he calls them. this is not a developed strat though.

it's just a pain though. spiderman's angles of attack don't cover zero's angles of approach.
    youtube mvci/sfv/etc. twitter @delbuster
    :( damn. i use hawkeye but i have him set to poison assist. maybe i'll just use hawkeye first instead of spidey if i'm playing a zero team. hawkeye at least has a few options against zero
    hawkeye def has some stuff he can do against zero. if you are alright with putting spiderman second it seems okay to do that.

me, i'd probably use taskmaster in my team instead of spiderman until i get really comfortable in the matchup.
    hawkeye def has some stuff he can do against zero. if you are alright with putting spiderman second it seems okay to do that.

me, i'd probably use taskmaster in my team instead of spiderman until i get really comfortable in the matchup.

You won't get comfortable with the MU using Spidey if you don't use him for it. O:
    *for tournaments
    You won't get comfortable with the MU using spidey for tournaments if you don't use him for it... for tournaments.* O:
    /redundancy
    nah i can run spidey v zero outside of tournaments.
    :lol: the matchup did become harder but I wouldn't say it's one of his harder matchups. Zero has obvious flaws once he's in the air. You with missiles and triple arrow can actually out zone him. Once he takes to air you can dash and call missiles. Then he is forced to block giving you the ground mixup. Even without Doom he is open once you're under him. His dive is beat out by web throw and though he can teleport he still leaves himself vulnerable or you the chance to escape.

A good Zero won't just let you get under him like that of course. I'm finding more success with web ball zip back web swings, :l: spider stings/bite, neutral jump :h: xx web swings, web throws, and off course good assist calls to cover or setup shenanigans.

Zro was here...
    i definitely have options with my team, and i need to be more aware of zero's options for sure
  • Killa SasaKilla Sasa I've made a huge mistake Joined: Posts: 609
    Bad Spider-Man matchups IMO are Zero, Trish, and Felicia backed by a decent horizontal assist. Characters with quick normals/cheap hitboxes that can attack you from the air just as well if not better than you can to them. Augmented by assists and such of course, but I think that runs the gamut.

Assists that give Spider-Man the most trouble would be Log Trap and Vajra -- the two best assists at controlling air space.

I think Spider-Man actually beats Hawkeye, MS on reaction to Gimlet every time. Be smart with your ground game, and approach. You're going to die if you try to avoid taking any chip. Otherwise, pretty beatable. He can't cover distance and corners himself very fast.

I wouldn't say Cap is tough or a bad matchup, just gotta respect his stuff. Pick him up, he's fairly straightforward - it'll give you an idea of what he can and can't defend against. Be smart with those airdashes.

Ditto for Spencer. As hard as he can be to defend against, he can't really do shit to Peter either. It's a really fun matchup of speed vs power. I think Spider-Man worked him pretty bad in Vanilla, a little closer to even in this one due to the reduced damage output.
    Ultimate is dat fun.
    Peter/Clint/Laura
    GT: KillaBMike PSN: Killasasa
    @spencer: gotta disagree HUGELY here

i play against a really really teched out spencer. with his 80k unscaled up grapple, he still does insane amounts of damage off of a normal confirm, and insane amounts of damage off of a damage-scaling confirm. spencer's faster than he was in vanilla, his grapple controls the air space that spiderman wants to be in, it's a mess.

This is from numerous games of my spiderman + triple arrow hawkeye assist vs spencer + ironman unibeam assist. I'm not as good of a player as this guy atm but it's still very frustrating for me. A lot of my game is shut down, and my only real approach atm is grounded web ball xx forward web zip + assist. Everything else I try ends with me dying LOL
    If you are fighting a super jumping Zero who's not really trying to make you come to him any other way then you you can just out zone him and force a mistake. Spidey can zone better than zero with his ability to zip cancel

Zro was here...
  • supernovajmsupernovajm Joined: Posts: 112
    Any advice on combating nemesis? Most of the people who use him online are garbage (just spamming his tentacle attack), but my buddy has been using him, and everything that I tried was getting me blown up.

his haggar style bazooka-pipe gets him a free combo, and it's difficult to maintain pressure on him because of his super armor and the amazing range on his :s:. When i try to stay back and fish for web throws, I always get hit with a jump rocket: it hits me before my web throw can connect. for a while, I had some luck ground zipping in from just out of range of his :s:, but his tentacles are like ghost rider's chain.

Am I the only one who feels like they gave nemesis the best moves from all the other characters? haggar-style pipe, super armor, command throw that has crazy range (especially the anti-air one), 360 degree normals... i just finished fighting my buddy so I guess I'm a little over-exaggerating (at least i had more wins than losses, but not by much)
    What's he doing to combat super jump web ball?
    Rashiidoooooooo!
    haggar. yes, i need haggar matchup advice.

he's able to just do nothing but jump pipe while he uses a doom beam assist and frank cart assist to lock me down. i literally could not move from my spot because any attempt i made was either beaten clean by pipe/beam or if i went for an air throw he simply waited until he saw me jumping at him and mashed H, which meant i was back to square one.

i couldn't zone him out. doom beam beat any zoning i could try. the best i could hope for was random damage from air web balls followed by web zipped H's.

not to mention i've never seen his resets before. is the one he has in the corner escapable? the one where he jumps at you? because i tried recovering forward, backwards, neutrally, mashing buttons, nothing.
  • RaohRaoh AU Spider Joined: Posts: 968
    not to mention i've never seen his resets before. is the one he has in the corner escapable? the one where he jumps at you? because i tried recovering forward, backwards, neutrally, mashing buttons, nothing.
    Have you tried MS?
    Spider-Man - Combos and Tech
    PSN: KingRaou - Spider-Man/Hawkeye<>Dr.Doom
    Have you tried MS?
    i did twice. the first time it worked because i think i did it at the earliest possible time i could. the second time he just straight grabbed me as i was backflipping to the wall.

it was damn depressing.
    Try neutral :h: or :s:
    have you tried approaching with super jump + web zip downforward (and blocking during it)

unless he is able to somehow grab you out of it, it's overall a safe maneuver, and it'll get you into a threatening range.
    if he is in the air, and he is telegraphing jS, you should be able to air-to-air him before the hitbox comes out with jMH xx H web swing jMHS and continue a combo (this is just an example).
    On the ground, all of nemesis' armor moves only have armor really late in the move. mash crL, do instant overheads, etc. try all the close range maneuvers you want (keeping in mind the doom beam of course).

this is just in general not counting assists. what are your assists?
  • supernovajmsupernovajm Joined: Posts: 112
    What's he doing to combat super jump web ball?
    i tried pestering him with sj.web ball for awhile, but he learned that he could hit me by super jumping forward and using deadly reach :(
    i may have over exaggerated earlier, but our matches usually hinged on whether i could kill nemesis before he killed spidey. i still think its a tough matchup though. like fighting a hulk that has better range

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    That means you got predictable. Nemesis is too slow to be doing anything to spidey other than shoot missiles

Zro was here...
    His j. :f:+:h: and j. :d: + :h: are quite the nuisance, imo. I'll probably write more on this MU later.
    Sometimes I just jump, dash, and grab him out the air if he isn't completely in my face but he is still doing his annoying full screen tentacle attack. I'm a pretty low rank though so maybe the people I play just really suck.