Avenging Spiderman- The UMvC3 Matchup Thread

1235»

Comments

• RaohRaoh AU Spider Joined: Posts: 968
    Solid list. I'd personally move both Wolv and Hawk one notch down.

For those who don't understand why Spidey loses to those characters, you can see what they all have in common: projectile wall + movement. Spidey's angles of attack make it hard for him to get through hitboxes setup by those who beat him. Spencer with beam assist emulates this a bit with his assist covered zip lines and Vergil does this with his disjointed normal hitboxes. Vajra is just a dick move.
    Morrigan (YOLO MS and UWT are your only choices)
    Zero (his worst matchup easily. Zero by himself beats spiderman with 3 assists)
    Morri + Missiles can be worked around with beam assist + kara stings vs her non AV soul fist flowchart but aside from that and the YOLO MS and UWT, Spidey's pretty much toast. Against Morri+Beam though, it'd a better idea to swap for a char with good durability spam or tele+beam/vajra.

Agree with Zero, he has all the tools to limit Spidey's movement and assist calls.
    Spider-Man - Combos and Tech
    PSN: KingRaou - Spider-Man/Hawkeye<>Dr.Doom
  • CertainlyCertainly Wandering Soul Joined: Posts: 40
    Spidey V. Doom.
    It's kinda tough for me to get around the screen via web-swinging, because most Dooms Super Jump>Foot Dive and stay in the air for untold periods of time.
    I'm unable to PLink Dash, I'm using a controller (360, unless they've found a way to do that on 360 controllers), and Web Zipping upward gets me scooped about 80% of the time. I know Spidey's fast, and I know he has great options, but what to do in the air?
    I'm just trying to get by, y'know?
    UMVC3: [Spider-Man/Iron Man/Hawkeye] [Captain America/Iron Man/ Ryu]
    SCIV: Yoshimitsu/Astaroth/Talim
    P4A: Akihiko
    Certainly wrote: »
    Spidey V. Doom.
    It's kinda tough for me to get around the screen via web-swinging, because most Dooms Super Jump>Foot Dive and stay in the air for untold periods of time.
    I'm unable to PLink Dash, I'm using a controller (360, unless they've found a way to do that on 360 controllers), and Web Zipping upward gets me scooped about 80% of the time. I know Spidey's fast, and I know he has great options, but what to do in the air?
    Just run away and call assists to put pressure him out when he lands. Doom's relatively easy to keep away unless he's got vajra assist. Web throw goes through finger lasers but I'd rather just keep away and chip/pressure with your assists. Biggest mistake players make against Doom is becoming impatient, rushing him down then eating a foot dive.

• STANGSTANG Joined: Posts: 1,200
    you can plink dash on controller, you just have to set 1 button to dash and plink that button with the other button. That sounds really confusing lol. map one button to be :l: + :m: . then you just plink with that button and your :h: button. you get the good plink dash that way too. the one that also option selects throw.

remember, doom isn't gonna chip you to death. he's gotta come down some time. and you also have tools like :m: webthrow, ultimate web throw, air throw.
  • Brightside6382Brightside6382 It can't be helped Joined: Posts: 950
    Certainly wrote: »
    Spidey V. Doom.

get under him and throw web throws up his ass
  • MonokerosMonokeros Joined: Posts: 135
    edited July 2013
    So I'm possibly going to be playing comboman70 at EVO this year and I'm just wondering how does spiderman go about escaping Haggar's hooligan launcher reset? Can he just maximum spider out on reaction? okay so he CANT Maximum spider out because little ol' Spidey just dives into the hooligan launcher rofl, more testing is needed. Alright yeah all I've found out is unless Spiderman has 2 meters to DHC into another character he can't escape this reset in the corner (midscreen he can just neutral tech and he's a okay)
    Post edited by Monokeros on
    Have you tried L swing up or down-back zip+normal? It's probably not going to work either. Spidey does have some problems with air command grab resets because of his air dash and zip movement.
  • MonokerosMonokeros Joined: Posts: 135
    edited July 2013
    yeah I tried all of those his only option is burning 2 meters to avoid dying haha poor spidey, oh well it holds true for haggar/hulk that they cant get out of UWT in the corner his jump.L doesn't reach even teching forward same with hulk's foot. (unless I'm testing it wrong by just mashing L and holding forward heh)
    Just break it with your assist then. Missiles will do the trick.
    Try to pay attention to when hes going for it. Look at the scaling his combo is doing. Pay attention to how much meter he has and if he has enough to just kill you.
    edited July 2013
    you can air dash out on reaction
  • VanDerWeerdVanDerWeerd Joined: Posts: 18
    edited August 2013
    so I read that Spidey vs Zero and Spidey vs Wolverine are bad matchup on Spidey side, can anyone tell me how to deal with both of them? I kinda sucks when I played with someone who using both of them(except if they are really scrub)
    (maybe) the only Spider-Man player in my country
    team:
    Spider-Man/Doom/Vergil
    Zero/Vergil/Strider
    (still project)Spider-Man/Zero or MODOK/Doom

so I read that Spidey vs Zero and Spidey vs Wolverine are bad matchup on Spidey side, can anyone tell me how to deal with both of them? I kinda sucks when I played with someone who using both of them(except if they are really scrub)
    Spidey vs Wolv is pretty even to me except for the first few seconds of the match where Wolv is top tier. Just cover yourself with beam when you rushdown or keepaway, spider sting is your friend.

As for playing vs Zero, Spidey's approach is flat out negated by Zero's tools and normals, it's also difficult to call assist while keeping them safe. He's easy to kill off though if you get a lucky air grab or a stray hit confirm if you have a decent team.
  • DeskLampTVDeskLampTV Joined: Posts: 890
    For zero, just make sure you aren't doing stupid shit when he has his buster charged. Wait for him to throw one out then make your move when he is still charging another one.
  • VanDerWeerdVanDerWeerd Joined: Posts: 18
    well, thank you to all of you guys, hope I can improve my gameplay more than before after reading your posts here :D
    (maybe) the only Spider-Man player in my country
    team:
    Spider-Man/Doom/Vergil
    Zero/Vergil/Strider
    (still project)Spider-Man/Zero or MODOK/Doom

• kookymanus2099kookymanus2099 The original Kookymanus Joined: Posts: 73
    I'd also highly recommend a good aa like jam session to keep zero's air movement limited. Don't be afraid to throw a FEW webballs at him from full screen up in the air but mixing them up between lp, mp, fp. Just don't be doing webball webzip brain dead.
  • kookymanus2099kookymanus2099 The original Kookymanus Joined: Posts: 73
    Concerning the furball known as wolverine, try to put as much space between him & spidey in the beginning before the match starts. More than likely it may not happen due to wolv players looking to do dive kick or attempting a ground or airthrow. Typically a lp spidersting will usually trade very well in the beginning but some seasoned wolv players may bait you out ib the beginning to do that. A strong beam assist can help but something like dooms molecular shield assist beats the crap out of rushdown wolvs. Basically use ground webballs when full screen away to make him come to u plus call an assist 1 or 2 times in between. Only perform a raw webthrow from full screen never midscreen due to wolv beserker slash n possible assist coverage. C.mp can trade w/ dive kick but thats gotta b on reaction n could possibly get faked out into a drill claw so lp spidersting is best choice for aa. Ya wanna stay moving but avoid superjumping as nuch as possible due to chance of being airthrown or mixuped opon landing. If they tag him out snap his stubby self back in n finish ur plate.
  • M87theEpidemicM87theEpidemic Joined: Posts: 31
    so i found out im free to Spencer with a projectile assist(like saaaaay hawkeye triple arrow~).. any way i can punish that cornball assist+ "wire zip" approach?
    aka: GI_Fight_evil [of the Chicago fgc]

UMvC3:Spider-man,Magneto,Dr.Doom /Strider-Hiryu,Vergil,Wesker
    Learning: Magneto, Deadpool, Vergil, Wesker
    I don't think there is anyway to really punish it, but you can avoid getting hit by it by superjumping once you see spencer jump to get above him. After he uses his assist, you can then land and call your own assist to go in on him. If you are above him, you can even try zipping down on him. You can also try calling plasma beam when you think the opponent will call assist + horizontal zip so that you hit their assist on start up. If the assist is out of the picture, then you can just spider-sting spencer as he is zipping in.
    edited August 2013
    could i use disrupter instead of plasma beam?

Its much more difficult for Spider-man to confirm off disruptor than plasma beam
    edited August 2013
    Yeah you can, sorry I read your team wrong, I thought it said spidey/doom/strider. I don't know if thats the best option though, because if you mistime it just a little bit, then the spencer player gets a happy birthday. I think you can also try to chicken guard the zip line and then grab spencer when he is in range. The worst thing that could happen is that spencer tech's the throw. If you can wave dash/plink dash backwards, you might be able to dash back far enough that he isn't right on top of you so that there is no confusion of which side spencer will end up on. Lastly, you can try nullifying the hitbox of the zipline with a j.:m: and cancelling into :l: web swing. It's pretty risky though, because you might get hit if you don't time it right. I'm no expert on the matchup though, I just wanted to give some ideas and I'm not sure about what works and what doesn't work.

@STANG I think he is asking if he can use disruptor to hit the opponents assist on startup, so I don't think the ability to confirm is relevant in that situation.
  • KiyaaKingKiyaaKing Joined: Posts: 1,060
    so i found out im free to Spencer with a projectile assist(like saaaaay hawkeye triple arrow~).. any way i can punish that cornball assist+ "wire zip" approach?

I've fought this online quite a bit(I know it's online, but Spencer players do the same thing offline anyways) and I actually think it's pretty managable for Spidey, depending on your opponent. If the Spencer is calling arrows and doing a horizontal zip, you can either H web throw on reaction or if they call the assist earlier you can chicken block the arrows and anti-air with cr.m or st.h. Spencers that know the matchup will diagonal zip down, but if you make sure you are full screen away he can't catch you with it. As soon as he tries closing in with it you can anticipate and jump to avoid him during the assist call(you can also airdash over him if you time it right) and then you can zip over to him and start your offense.

Against Spencer in general, you have to take a "hit and run" approach. You can't be too aggressive, since Spencer has YOLO armor piercer and his zip throw beats out web throw. At the same time, you don't want to be too passive, as Spencer will run his flowchart until you get hit with a low, overhead, or command grab. It sounds hard, but the way I think Spidey is designed makes this type of gameplay seem natural. I'd call Spidey's matchup vs Spencer with a horizontal assist a solid 5/5. It's not unfavorable, but Spidey has to be versatile and run away a lot, bating an unsafe move.

My Characters/Teams:
    UMvC3 - Spider-Man/Magneto/Dante, Zero/Dante/Strider, Doom/Dormammu/Dante
    SSF4 - Juri, Yun, El Fuerte
    Injustice - Flash, Zod, Lex Luthor
    Skullgirls - Cerebella/Squigly, Parasoul/Double
    GGXXAC+R - Slayer, Baiken

3DS FC: 5043-2719-7330
    ill keep all this in mind then fellas.. thanks for the help

• mugenrlz19mugenrlz19 Joined: Posts: 44
    Hi, guys. I was hoping you could give some general tips on fighting Chun-li. I don't really know much about the character, but it seems her Hyakuretsukyaku is a pretty good anti-air, making it difficult for spidey to go for overheads unassisted. It's really annoying how this move can take out so many of spidey's attacks, especially since all a Chun-li player has to do is mash an :atk: button.
    Also, since I've had few opportunities to fight Chun, I couldn't believe it when I found out her (air) :dp: + :atk: beats Maximum Spider - meaning you can't punish her air dashes with MS, even if they come out by mistake.

So, any suggestions on what to do against her? I run Spidey/Doom/IM and Spidey/Vergil/IM, btw.
    Thanks!
    Stay grounded and zone her out
1235»