A Litany of Hate: The Front Page Sucks

Comments

• BalloonMonkeyBalloonMonkey Xmas Joined: Posts: 553
  • SurenioSurenio Joined: Posts: 1,108
    Editorials being horribly written and edited is one thing, but most of them are utterly pointless. They are a pain to read and some of them should be fired. No reason to have that many "writers" to begin with.
  • RaasRaas You're getting CARELESS! Joined: Posts: 744

<3

LO Freakin' L. This is a troll right? One of the quals shoulda been being good at the damn game.

SRK </3 ;_;
    Betta watch yo' Mak, SON
  • Fresh LettuceFresh Lettuce Perfect for Salad Joined: Posts: 159
    Here's an example:
    http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/03/introduction-to-competitive-play-pt-1-controllers/
    Excellent article, however, this is the LEAST IMPORTANT THING to know about competitive play. Why is it part 1 in a series? You're overbearing people with limited knowledge that would take a first step into something and insinuating "controller matters" to someone at a very entry level here. They're now thinking about things other than "Just go and play". That may actually be HARMFUL to helping the scene expand.

This is the problem with editorials. While they might push up the activity, keep people coming back to SRK and make the site money (which, face it, that's why this is happening), it may be doing more harm than good for long term success and limit community and competitive expansion.
  • FunkQueFunkQue R.I.P. Little Saint Joined: Posts: 485
    awaits the great purge of 2012
    It would help to clean up your language, use specific examples, and tone down the ranting. You've got some valid points, but it's hard to take you seriously.
  • piskooooopiskooooo anime swag Joined: Posts: 4,386
    SHOCKING ANNOUNCEMENT!!
    NIITSUMA MAKES AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

UMvC3 Video Roundup: Morning Edition
    UMvC3 Video Roundup: I forgot some stuff in the other one Edition
    UMvC3 Video Roundup: Shitty quality and useless info Edition
    UMvC3 Combo Video #93842904829048
  • Shadow VIIShadow VII Custom Title Joined: Posts: 1,065
    I know Pertho in real life :D
    "A little besito?!" -CMV
  • ZalZal Frame Counter Joined: Posts: 1,199
    God bless this thread.
    >fireballs, fireballs everywhere
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235

<3
    Ryu goes in for the punish. BAM. Standing fierce into nothing.

After about a minute and a half, this signature technique achieves a certain artistry. I believe we should now revise the rules as to what constitutes "winning".
  • Heavy_MentalHeavy_Mental Fueled by caffeine and salt. Joined: Posts: 1,236
    What I take from this rant is that OP believes that there is no editorial direction to the articles AND that the actual writing quality of them is horrible.

I agree.
    “In the long run men hit only what they aim for. Therefore though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high." - Henry David Thoreau
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    *snip*

Tone notwithstanding, I mostly agree with what you're saying. I'm far from Keits' #1 fan, but if I had to choose between someone that biased but who also has some (very slight) grasp of what constitutes a newsworthy article and what we have right now, I would choose Keits as the lesser of two evils. This is some eventhubs level of professionalism here. First there is the issue of plastering the front page with non-stop mediocre material (so much so that it almost feels like 4chan), but if you're going to do that at least take the time to write a real article; don't just clumsily regurgitate the already piss-poor description from the actual video verbatim. Little Jimmy may have taken 12 seconds to make his combo video AND write a description for it, but I expect a little bit more from the guy in charge of the front page.

I can't help but feel that the new guys either don't care and just post anything and everything under the sun, or they simply lack a discerning eye for these things. If they somehow made up for it with wit and entertaining quips, I might let it pass, but every article so far has been slipshod, full of spelling mistakes and generally poorly written.

Meh, if I had to guess, I'd say this is the typical SRK cronyism at work. Call it affirmative action for fighting game players if you want to.

Edit: Oh yeah, and shit like this happens all the time:

This video gets posted on the front page today:

No disrespect to Neo-Artisan it's a nice video and stuff and I like the combos, but I posted this 2 days prior in the Thor forums:

:

Now I'm not making a stink so much at the fact that my video didn't get posted because, frankly, I slapped it together in 5 minutes; the point is that they could have looked up the Thor forums in maybe 5 minutes to see if what they're posting is redundant, which they clearly did not do. In the end it just makes the community look bad. I know srk has been a really grass roots organization from the start, but I think they're slowly trying to distance themselves from the e-thuggery and generally hostile/rough around the edges kind of image that's historically been associated with the scene. Hiring junior high kids to run the front page is not the way to do it.
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,554
    front page is separate from the forums. posting things in the forums does not mean they will be looked at as the front page staff and the forum staff is largely independent. Things front paged are either found by front page staff or submitted through the tips email, which only keits has access to as far as I can tell.

Keits trying to be the sole editor for over 10 people seems to be a bad idea. I've caught frequent typos, mistakes, and repeats(things from roundups being their own article/vice versa) The amount of editorial content is a lot for one person when the people writing don't have actual assignments/areas to cover as far as I can tell.

I think the timeframe for hiring writers was much too short. The application window was under 48 hours meaning they didn't get the best possible people, just those who applied the quickest. Not hating on front page staff in the slightest, but I think the application process should have had a set time limit from when it was announced especially with an undetermined amount of spots open.
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • Stuart HaydenStuart Hayden Peace to the Mountain. Joined: Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I love you so much, Pertho. You have no idea.
    You basically ripped the words out of my brain.

I love you.

I'm not even going to no homo this shit.

I fucking love you, Pertho
    R.I.P Seth Michael Hayden
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Negro Instal
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    front page is separate from the forums. posting things in the forums does not mean they will be looked at as the front page staff and the forum staff is largely independent. Things front paged are either found by front page staff or submitted through the tips email, which only keits has access to as far as I can tell.

Keits trying to be the sole editor for over 10 people seems to be a bad idea. I've caught frequent typos, mistakes, and repeats(things from roundups being their own article/vice versa) The amount of editorial content is a lot for one person when the people writing don't have actual assignments/areas to cover as far as I can tell.

I think the timeframe for hiring writers was much too short. The application window was under 48 hours meaning they didn't get the best possible people, just those who applied the quickest. Not hating on front page staff in the slightest, but I think the application process should have had a set time limit from when it was announced especially with an undetermined amount of spots open.

Anyone with even the faintest notion of how a proper journalist conducts themselves knows that you should fact check and look up your sources. It's not as if it would have taken then more than a couple of minutes anyway.

I just gave that as an example, but you don't have to look far to find other instances.
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • OnemanarmadaOnemanarmada Chump Fighter Joined: Posts: 238
    Very nice post there Pertho.
    ♫ "I wanna take the world on in a street fight - To see its blood on the asphalt..." ♪ ♫
  • VeseriusVeserius Hold Down Back Joined: Posts: 11,554
    Yeah for sure, but a blog format isn't treated like anything resembling actual journalism most of the time.

With FG content you're just digging at youtube, facebook, twitter, and fg related sites trying to be first out the gate. Being first is more important than being accurate or having your stuff well written when it is going to be off the front page in a few days.

Who cares if you have the best Thor combo video is when the one submitted to you is right there? If you're getting paid on a per article basis or have a minimum, all of those little things just eat up your time.
    Vuh-sair-ee-us or just Ves I guess | Twitter | Youtube  | Maj's Footsie Handbook  | My TMNT:TF Netplay Guide
  • KneelB4MeKneelB4Me CVS2! Joined: Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think this is a harsh judgement. I understand and agree that there are a lot of new articles going up, but prior to the front page being fleshed out I did have my favourites link going straight to the forums. Now I have it going to the front page because there may well be something of interest to see there before entering the forums. I like that, I would have that stay as it is rather than go back before anyone was writing for the front page.

It is okay to critique the writers, but lay off of taking the piss out of them. They are afterall trying to do something for the site, some because they want to contribute and others maybe for the experience. My opinion is just to give it time, perhaps these new writers for the front page are just eager to get an article of their own up whilst they are fairly new to the process. Im sure regardless of this thread that the front page will have changed in a years time.
    I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them.
    More K less A
  • Kanta-KunKanta-Kun Magnudisto... BLAAAAAAAST Joined: Posts: 5,545
    Whatevs, Rep bars were just another way for new members and forum scrubs to circle jerk each.
    ?

Only premium members could rep you up/down, I think. And i think people who had been on SRK for a loooong time too.
    "I think the game should punch you in the face every time you pick Nova." -ShadyK
  • Stuart HaydenStuart Hayden Peace to the Mountain. Joined: Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ?

Only premium members could rep you up/down, I think. And i think people who had been on SRK for a loooong time too.
    Rep was absolutely pointless in the grand scheme of things. For a lot of us It was just a fun way for us to weed out the shitty posters because they cared too much about what people thought of them; on the internet of all places. What was especially fun was signing the neg reps with usernames of people we hated and watch them bitch about getting PM'ed about it.

The rep system was a fucking dumb, broken, and simply not needed system. The illuminati hated it. All the mods hated it. Most the users hated it except for the above reasons.

And only premium members and admins had access to raising/lowering rep

I miss our galaga shields and ships though. :(
    I spammed my ass off for my ships god dammit.
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Negro Instal
  • Kanta-KunKanta-Kun Magnudisto... BLAAAAAAAST Joined: Posts: 5,545
    It had the use of not reading shitty posts if I saw a big red blob next to it.

Posts were more... insightful back then. Because posting random shit like a Trollface (which weren't even around back then) would get your shit jacked.
    I guess the internet is more "for everyone" now.
    "I think the game should punch you in the face every time you pick Nova." -ShadyK
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,887 mod

ya I was legitimately looking forward to seeing that once I hit 10000 posts but SRK stole that dream away from me. what would have been a milestone went out with a whimper *sigh*
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
    It had the use of not reading shitty posts if I saw a big red blob next to it.

Posts were more... insightful back then. Because posting random shit like a Trollface (which weren't even around back then) would get your shit jacked.
    I guess the internet is more "for everyone" now.
    A lot of people have left or stopped frequenting SRK as much because it basically put on the kid gloves for everyone.
    It helped make new people feel more welcome I guess. But like...95% of the people who have joined post-SFIV don't go anywhere near GD (General Discussion) because we don't deal with their bullshit. We're cranky, cantankerous, mean old men who still play CvS2 and MvC2 on our dreamcasts and still play XvSF on our Sega Saturn.

The Illuminati hate GD. They want to get rid of it. But they know A LOT of people come to this site and contribute to this site because we have one of the best GD's on the net, There would be no reason for us to stay if they got rid of GD.

Edit: Something else that was fun regarding rep:
    SRK the Game
    We would pick a shitty poster or someone we just generally found annoying and neg rep the shit out of them in hopes they would buy premium so they could attempt to neg rep us back.
    (You can't see who reps you unless you have Premium)
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Negro Instal
  • AionAion Is a Pre-Madonna Joined: Posts: 1,053
    Nice english bro
  • SweetJohnnyVSweetJohnnyV Streets ahead! Joined: Posts: 1,981 mod
    The first post needs a TLDR, so I didn't read it. But I am genuinely curious why the Cross Counter stuff is NEVER mentioned on the front page, since I consider their stuff to be among the most entertaining stuff out there, aside from tournament info/replay, glitch discoveries, and such.
  • GimnboGimnbo Joined: Posts: 68
    "I didn't read the OP, but Imma post my opinion anyway."

Yes, that is the best way to make an educated post.
  • Joe YabukiJoe Yabuki Murcielago Joined: Posts: 1,280
    Well, they do need to make the important stuff more evident, the only really important thing out of the whole front page is the last article about the Marvel patch. And it makes no sense that we have a video roundup AND individual video news, Why we hate you, Desk's glitch video, Persona location testing, TNT replay, why is this not on the video roundup?
    Catherine is a better fighting game than *insert game here*
    Actually i think stuff like persona location testing should get its own news post because it fits closer to an individual upcoming game's news than it does a random video.

It also serves to reach out to a new game which IMO we need to do more.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Say....my....name! Joined: Posts: 21,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Oh that game was funny to watch.
    Scrub get mad...........pay for premium..........then join the rep circle jerk.
    Damn I wish that LaSwagga dork left up his youtube video complaining about negative rep.
    I learn far more from option-select.com and sonichurricane.com than the front page of SRK.

I learn a lot more from GD than the SRK front page..............then again, think that's the case.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • ValarisValaris keeping watch over SRK Joined: Posts: 13,079
    Yall have concerns with the frontpage which won't be heard in GD. I'm going to move your through to the Glitches and Feedback section.
    I slept with admins so I could get my join date changed. 
  • BeatrushBeatrush The guy who runs the stream Joined: Posts: 1,315
    The front page of SRK lately is like checking out the latest piece of graffiti on the side of a toilet stall.

Maybe one 1 of 10 articles has substance and a lot of them could be combined into one article (as suggested in previous posts, a video roundup). Seriously, there needs to be some quality control.
    "Mindgames only work on people who actually use their mind" – Airamae
    "I didn't read the OP, but Imma post my opinion anyway."

Yes, that is the best way to make an educated post.

Hey, whatever. There's a lot of constructive criticism that could be applied to the current state of SRK's front page. But I scroll over a sea of text and notice "Learn to use semicolons". I'm gonna guess/hope that the rest of that post was more meaty than that, but c'mon. So no, I didn't read it. Still, it reminded me, that I've been curious about the absence of CC from the front page for awhile now.

If you think my point is wrong or not on topic, please tell me why. But pointing out that my entrance into this thread was crass, doesn't make my post any less relevant.

EDIT: I also think the page number buttons on the bottom are too crammed together. Maybe it's just a Firefox thing, but they look goofy and are hard to click on. There's plenty of real-estate to make those look good and make them easier to use.
  • BeatrushBeatrush The guy who runs the stream Joined: Posts: 1,315
    I've been curious about the absence of CC from the front page for awhile now.

From what I heard, there is some politics behind that .
    "Mindgames only work on people who actually use their mind" – Airamae
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Rep was absolutely pointless in the grand scheme of things. For a lot of us It was just a fun way for us to weed out the shitty posters because they cared too much about what people thought of them; on the internet of all places. What was especially fun was signing the neg reps with usernames of people we hated and watch them bitch about getting PM'ed about it.

The rep system was a fucking dumb, broken, and simply not needed system. The illuminati hated it. All the mods hated it. Most the users hated it except for the above reasons.

And only premium members and admins had access to raising/lowering rep

There is no illuminati :sweat:
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
    From what I heard, there is some politics behind that .

That's what I feared, and if that's true it's really unfortunate. I hope they can patch up whatever the trouble is. SRK used to be THE source for fighting game info. That won't last if they continue to filter out relevant media.
  • Joe YabukiJoe Yabuki Murcielago Joined: Posts: 1,280
    Actually i think stuff like persona location testing should get its own news post because it fits closer to an individual upcoming game's news than it does a random video.

It also serves to reach out to a new game which IMO we need to do more.
    The announcement of the location test and a collection of different videos of the location tests should get their own posts, but one 2 minute video? Hard to agree...
    Catherine is a better fighting game than *insert game here*
    That's what I feared, and if that's true it's really unfortunate. I hope they can patch up whatever the trouble is. SRK used to be THE source for fighting game info. That won't last if they continue to filter out relevant media.
    Cross Counter has about as much to do with fighting games as The Big Bang Theory hast to do with quantum physics.
  • PerthoPertho Capt of Team #Hellspawn Joined: Posts: 22,815 mod
    Hey, whatever. There's a lot of constructive criticism that could be applied to the current state of SRK's front page. But I scroll over a sea of text and notice "Learn to use semicolons". I'm gonna guess/hope that the rest of that post was more meaty than that, but c'mon. So no, I didn't read it. Still, it reminded me, that I've been curious about the absence of CC from the front page for awhile now.

If you think my point is wrong or not on topic, please tell me why. But pointing out that my entrance into this thread was crass, doesn't make my post any less relevant.

EDIT: I also think the page number buttons on the bottom are too crammed together. Maybe it's just a Firefox thing, but they look goofy and are hard to click on. There's plenty of real-estate to make those look good and make them easier to use.

Read the second paragraph, then read my closing paragraph, afterwards go fuck yourself.

On the plus side, thank you very much for working damn hard to give HDR a chance.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • PerthoPertho Capt of Team #Hellspawn Joined: Posts: 22,815 mod
    Yall have concerns with the frontpage which won't be heard in GD. I'm going to move your through to the Glitches and Feedback section.

Damn it Val, nobody is going to read it here.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Say....my....name! Joined: Posts: 21,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Why is this not on the front page...................
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • AzN_SkaterAzN_Skater I <3 Selena Joined: Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Definitely political as to why some FG related stuff that's clearly more entertaining and relevant than the drivel you see on the front page doesn't make it there.

Pertho, good read. <3.
    "Take another deep breath, try to hit your reset, you know that I can relate." -- Selena Gomez
    I mained Urien in 2000 BC.