A Litany of Hate: The Front Page Sucks

Comments

• StumblebeeStumblebee More AO than Manhunt 2 Joined: Posts: 658
    I actually really like the new front page. Got a really healthy amount of news along with some interesting opinion articles, along with the downright helpful like the controller article a few days back. Yeah, it really could use some help in some aspects, like the pictures betwixt paragraphs, but I overall like the new front page, as it keeps me reading.
    Woo Woo Woo! You Know It, Bro!
  • GwynLovesMilkGwynLovesMilk Joined: Posts: 6,096
    Seriously, though, don't quote all of that. How drunk are you? [/assumption]

Not at all at the time, I just wanted to be more like BlackRob :(
    If you want to write a book you have to live a life that's worth sealing in ink.
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,399
    What boggles my mind is how Justin Wong has his own column on EventHubs but no such thing exists here on SRK.
  • RenegadeRenegade Joined: Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    What boggles my mind is how Justin Wong has his own column on EventHubs but no such thing exists here on SRK.

Maybe because J.Wong is fairly bad at presenting strategy to players in written or spoken form?

The Damned: a lot of your points make sense, and it seems you agree w/ a lot of my points I presented in the wesker article, so I don't really feel the need to defend anymore. Bottom line is that ultimately... SRK users generate most of the front page content.

I agree that there needs to be less posts on one 25 second combo variation and more about the actual games.

I believe my next editorial will be

"Buy KOF. Play KOF. KOF for EVO. B/c to me, it's more fun than SFIV, and here's why"
    http://rvatournaments.com/

Your one stop shop for RVA, Virginia, and East Coast Fighting game news and tournament updates.

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    Maybe because J.Wong is fairly bad at presenting strategy to players in written or spoken form?
    It seems most people are, but I still don't get how he gets a column there instead of SRK, which is (or used to be?) regarded as the premier FG destination on the web. Eventhubs is what, like maybe 3 years old or so?
  • RenegadeRenegade Joined: Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It seems most people are, but I still don't get how he gets a column there instead of SRK, which is (or used to be?) regarded as the premier FG destination on the web. Eventhubs is what, like maybe 3 years old or so?

Because they offered to pay him to do it to generate more page hits? Just like how they offered to pay for strategy articles instead of waiting for people to give them free like on SRK?
    http://rvatournaments.com/

Your one stop shop for RVA, Virginia, and East Coast Fighting game news and tournament updates.

Because they offered to pay him to do it to generate more page hits?
    Stuff like that should really go without saying...

My point is that EH seems to have at least some of their shit together. So WTF is going on @ SRK?
  • K3lloggzK3lloggz Joined: Posts: 668
    Time to make this thread seem free.....

Is the front page a fighting game? Kappa
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 24,326
    That article was probably the most important thing to hit the front page of SRK in years. 4 days later it's already buried under a pile of SC5, Tekken, and DOA crap. What the hell?

while i agree that the article is important and that it should be on the front page more time, i wouldnt say that the news about oncoming games are crap, they are also news that have a valid reason to be on the front page

if any, there should be an option to have some articles (2 maybe 3) with more priority stay on the top of the heap of front page posts
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    Although I definitely have some issues with some of the content being posted on the main page--the article on balance was poorly reasoned clap-trap, for example--the biggest problem right now is so much of the front page content is not important or relevant. I wonder how many SRK regulars totally missed Inkblot's article on eSports/Street Fighter? If you missed it:

http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/04/where-esports-leagues-go-wrong-with-fighters/

That article was probably the most important thing to hit the front page of SRK in years. 4 days later it's already buried under a pile of SC5, Tekken, and DOA crap. What the hell?

The signal to noise ratio is completely out of hand right now.

Yea because Street Fighter and Marvel are the only games that should take center stage..... -_-
  • TMNTempsTMNTemps brozhear Joined: Posts: 4,235
    just weighing in briefly here... I'm glad Pertho didn't get a job as a front page writer, because he's a terrible writer who is about as funny as the comedy coach from Borat. His acrebic "wit" comes off as a quarter baked rip-off of dry English humor, and mentioning dead babies then hanging a lampshade on his mentioning of dead babies is... well, as dead as the babies. Its about as edgy and cool as a video of octogenarians ghost riding their Buick. Mentioning religious people, too? Were you intentionally lining up the biggest, most obvious and played out targets possible for your lampooning?

Best solution for the front page? Tag articles and let people set up their own filters so people only have to look at stuff they want to see. Such a solution is probably way above the heads of the SRK webmasters who can barely even keep this forum running, but it would be a good way of making everybody happy. A little bit more quality control is necessary when it comes to which videos they post. The round-ups are good ideas, but in these mass video postings some stuff makes it in that is so outrageously basic or poorly done it does not deserve any coverage.

I don't mind the editorials, and if you had any sense you may have noticed both of them ignited big debates about the content of the articles. So, they are doing a bang up job at what they are supposed to be doing - driving traffic to the front page, so SRK can make more ad money to spend on only god knows what... because they sure as hell don't put it towards improving their godawful uptime, server performance, or even fixing the script errors the FRONT PAGE will throw up in Internet Explorer 8.

But anyway, I'm glad Pertho doesn't get to write on the front page.
    GGXrd - Sol // SFV - Ken
    SFV Ken Okizeme Lessons
    just weighing in briefly here... I'm glad Pertho didn't get a job as a front page writer, because he's a terrible writer who is about as funny as the comedy coach from Borat. His acrebic "wit" comes off as a quarter baked rip-off of dry English humor, and mentioning dead babies then hanging a lampshade on his mentioning of dead babies is... well, as dead as the babies. Its about as edgy and cool and as a video of octogenarians ghost riding their Buick.

Best solution for the front page? Tag articles and let people set up their own filters so people only have to look at stuff they want to see. Such a solution is probably way above the heads of the SRK webmasters who can barely even keep this forum running, but it would be a good way of making everybody happy. A little bit more quality control is necessary when it comes to which videos they post. The round-ups are good ideas, but in these mass video postings some stuff makes it in that is so outrageously basic or poorly done it does not deserve any coverage.

But anyway, I'm glad Pertho doesn't get to write on the front page.

Amen to that
  • TMNTempsTMNTemps brozhear Joined: Posts: 4,235
    Amen to that
    lol edits

speaking of crappy forum software, how about being able to edit your posts freely forever without them ever being stamped as "edited?" I don't really mind because I edit almost every single post I make 2-3 times after I put it up the first time. But still, its kinda dumb.
    GGXrd - Sol // SFV - Ken
    SFV Ken Okizeme Lessons
  • NegaduckNegaduck Is so S-Rank Joined: Posts: 5,189
    They should just 'sticky' some of the more important articles and leave the rest that arent as important ('are the boobies in DOA really that big?') just roll on through like inactive threads do on the forums.
    Roll one up homie.
    My artblog - http://negaduckduckgoose.blogspot.com/
  • BibulusBibulus Joined: Posts: 35
    I really have to wonder if there is any direction to the writing staff. Do people even have purposes or are you all just doing your own thing? You guys need a restructure something fierce and you should probably consider consulting people who have done stuff like this right. Call it a shameless plug for my buddy Hot_Bid but the teamliquid.net front page is about the best example I can think of... I would take a shameless rip of that format with fighting game news over the existing front page any day
    Why you so close to Gief?
    Technically, I'm a psychopath. =P - Hates
    "Sometimes she makes me mad so I want to how do you say... slap a hoe?" - Saitoh
    If you try to find THE answer, you will only understand your defeat.
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,239
    http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/08/another-official-kofxiii-maniac-combo-video-featuring-kyo-k-terry-iori-with-flames-and-more/

Yeah, the little opinion pieces that precede the content are annoying. Like, if SNKP thought these vids were doing more harm than good, I doubt they would be making them.

Honestly, these vids are increasing my respect for SNKP because it's acknowledging their own game and that they know it very well.
    You did not go back in time, this is how the forums look.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,534 admin
    The front page needs a way for me to filter out what I'm interested/not interested in. Categories, as it were.

i film things

• Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,810
    The front page needs a way for me to filter out what I'm interested/not interested in. Categories, as it were.
    I remember this being talked about before on the site a few months back, to bad nothing came of it.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,534 admin
    I was going to send this as a PM in a discussion with OP, but wth:
    I thought the first 1/3 was highly counterproductive to having any kind of persuasive conversation. Needing to wade through hyperbole of any sort tends to heartily distract from someone getting your point.

I thought the actual ideas buried under their seemed simple and logical enough. I'd go further than that, but that ties in with my personal belief that this is a first pass amateur-ish attempt at putting together the previously unnecessary "front page" / news ticker. SRK knows fighting games: it doesn't necessarily know pretty. [sad nod to Aris here] But then again it doesn't seem like a ton of sites get news tickers/front pages these days. Probably the only one I can think of that I really like is:
    * http://www.neowin.net/
    You might hate the site (it's gone downhill, as any hipster would tend to believe of any site ever), but I think they do an actual job of providing categorization and filters.

Put in that kind of thing, track what kind of views are more popular, cater to that. I do miss APEX and enjoy seeing tourney results/vid highlights featured. I'd go to the front page for that kind of thing. "Weekly bout highlights"? Yes plz.

i film things

• Sensei RouzuSensei Rouzu Hero for fun Joined: Posts: 3,933
    Opinion deals with non-determinate things.

His complaints deal with clearly elaborated issues i.e. easily determinable things.

Your lack of understanding of clearly elaborated, easily determinable things =

Just because I say something doesn't mean for it to be taken literally just like when people sugar-coat their opinions on something to make it sound less offensive or rude. One person says "It's shit!" and another says "Well... it's not the best". I was doing the same thing. What that should've been taken as is, "I don't agree with the complaints as a whole."

Listening to : Nas / N.W.A / ChocQuibTown / David Wise / Kool Keith / Sadistik / Undogmatic

• shoultzulashoultzula whatsyoursismines! Joined: Posts: 4,503
    there is a lot of garbage on the front page that doesn't need to be there sometimes. Feels like its more of filler type of thing just to keep the front page current. Very few times is that front page actually filled with good articles. Lately, I've liked the kof net play ones and the one about WCG and fighting games was very well written.

I would like to see the front page take more of a stand honestly. Use the front page to reach developers about how shitty their net code is for example as I've yet to see one article on the front page bashing the shit out umvc3\sf4 online in the era of online gaming. Something like that benefits the community and not 1 single person.

what about this current patch mvc3 is getting in a few weeks? why is a patch coming out 1 month after the game has dropped? its not possible to find all the broken shit in time to actually fix. So they fix all the things wrong with the game right now and 1 month after the patch, something game breaking pops up. Does anyone think capcom will just keep dropping money every time the community doesn't like something? Since patches take so much time\money to do, why rush it out the door like that? why not do it right and wait to see how many things will need patching and fix it 6months-1year down the road? not one other developer does patches this way.

what about EVO and the need to play on ps3's for umvc3 even though its the most inferior port of the game? how can the world championships be played on an inferior port? especially when over 95% of umvc3 tournaments are ran on x360's? I know evo is sponsored by sony so those systems are free to use but its fucking up the game from a competitive stand point.

things like that are a community concern and they're actually valid topics. Whether or not shoryuken.com heads want to talk about things like that as it affects this website or its relationship to capcom is a different story.
    I don't have it but watch me get it.
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,726
    there is a lot of garbage on the front page that doesn't need to be there sometimes. Feels like its more of filler type of thing just to keep the front page current. Very few times is that front page actually filled with good articles. Lately, I've liked the kof net play ones and the one about WCG and fighting games was very well written.

I would like to see the front page take more of a stand honestly. Use the front page to reach developers about how shitty their net code is for example as I've yet to see one article on the front page bashing the shit out umvc3\sf4 online in the era of online gaming. Something like that benefits the community and not 1 single person.

what about this current patch mvc3 is getting in a few weeks? why is a patch coming out 1 month after the game has dropped? its not possible to find all the broken shit in time to actually fix. So they fix all the things wrong with the game right now and 1 month after the patch, something game breaking pops up. Does anyone think capcom will just keep dropping money every time the community doesn't like something? Since patches take so much time\money to do, why rush it out the door like that? why not do it right and wait to see how many things will need patching and fix it 6months-1year down the road? not one other developer does patches this way.

what about EVO and the need to play on ps3's for umvc3 even though its the most inferior port of the game? how can the world championships be played on an inferior port? especially when over 95% of umvc3 tournaments are ran on x360's? I know evo is sponsored by sony so those systems are free to use but its fucking up the game from a competitive stand point.

things like that are a community concern and they're actually valid topics. Whether or not shoryuken.com heads want to talk about things like that as it affects this website or its relationship to capcom is a different story.

I think that they are just patching the Z-axis glitch and the whole stupid teching whenever you damn well please. I think Niitsuma learned fron sentinel and is gonna let this one ride out. Some really stupid glitches have been appearing so i am hoping that is all they are patching. I know it isn't simple, but i don't know if EVO team can approach Microsoft for some kind of deal on X-boxes? It wouldn't hurt to try.

I am fucking furious that shit like (degrading women, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH) and shit like ( The characters you want to use not being o=in the gmae does not make a game bad) WHY IS THIS SHIT ON THE FRONT PAGE. That is some unity level shit, come on now. I am also tired of U/MvC3 combo videos every day. Make a sidebar for videos again and forget about it, it easily overshadows actual good articles. The writers need to get their shit together and learn who they are writing for. Not the retards on unity, not to pick up chicks for showing that you care about them, but to show news on fighting games, and hopefully get in sonic hurricane level articles on the front page as well.
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,239
    I read that post

I understand you can't please all the people all the time and everyone is a critic etc. but the delivery of your opinion could've served as a better segue into something to discuss in the comments. Your question seems to pick a side instead of being neutral.
    You did not go back in time, this is how the forums look.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • CLU 2CLU 2 Capcom's gonna get sued for that ass. Joined: Posts: 5,710
    I'm getting a guest editorial tonight, I'm hoping it ranks somewhere above utter putridity.

It's a near 3000 word editorial/commentary/theory fighter on everyone's new favorite trench coat.

I wrote it in a addarrall fueled "focus too intently on the wrong thing" haze when I should been working on my thesis.

There is some incorrect comma usage, conversational style sentences, and much too much outline format.

Conversational tone is perfectly acceptable, if it is consistent throughout.

You're far and away one of the better posters in the SF4 and UMC3 forums,

I'll definitely give it a perusal.
    "Terribad FG." ~ Hatred Edge, on Soul Calibur V

As for hubcapsignstop, trying to respond to anything he says is like having your OS ask "Delete C:\ and mass-rape orphans? Y/Y?" ~ ThePurpleBunny
  • AmishOpiateAmishOpiate Mega Slowbro. Joined: Posts: 1,650
    Sure, the post could belong in the forum... but hell if I'm going to spend 2 hours writing a well thought out piece to only have 80 people read it.
    That's where editing and quality control from SRK needs to come it; I don't blame you for taking advantage of the opportunity to have your opinion blasted on the front page, but I think even you realize it didn't need to be there. Having read your posts on the forums in the past, I find you a contrarian that likes to challenge the status quo, and while that is all well and good, it doesn't really have much value to me without a counterpoint being offered. The game is just too young to start drawing conclusions about who is overpowered and who isn't, and putting your article on the front page just puts you in front of the knee-jerk reaction parade with everyone else frothing at the mouth over Wesker, pro or con.

Also, name dropping just serves to make your argument look weak, you don't need to resort to that.
    "I'm sorry and I do understand your frustration."
    --Christian Svensson

• Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Super Coffee Fighter V Joined: Posts: 5,174 mod
    Yea because Street Fighter and Marvel are the only games that should take center stage..... -_-
    Yes, the future of our competitive culture should absolutely take center stage, especially over games only a minority of SRK users play.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
    Yes, the future of our competitive culture should absolutely take center stage, especially over games only a minority of SRK users play.
    So you're basically saying we should just become Eventscrubs?
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Super Coffee Fighter V Joined: Posts: 5,174 mod
    So you're basically saying we should just become Eventscrubs?
    I must say, I don't follow your reasoning.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • DietDiet Garbage Day Joined: Posts: 1,287
    i believe he's saying to embrace all the fighting games, and not just the top 2 fighting games that are out right now. who cares about them being a minority, they are helping keep the community alive just like the other people. SUPPORT EVERYONE!
    youtube.com/dietplain
    2w6ge50.jpg

Okay I'll put it like this. Why should srk front page articles only about two already released games and news surrounding them when it would be better if they frontpaged news about the new releases coming out next year. It would do more from the community and help game diversity. Umvc 3 and sf4 are already released
    Shouldn't news about the upcoming games take priority over random articles about philosophy in fighters and tournament announcments?
  • KingofSarusKingofSarus Joined: Posts: 1,224
    Thank you so much, Based Pertho.

No disrespect to them, but I've been paying waaaaay more attention to EventHubs lately for "fighting game news."
    Street Fighter: Chun-Li
    KOF: Mai/King/Yuri
    Skullgirls: Parasoul (Valentine)
    XvSF: Magneto/Storm (& w/ Psylocke in MvC2)
    I really have to wonder if there is any direction to the writing staff. Do people even have purposes or are you all just doing your own thing? You guys need a restructure something fierce and you should probably consider consulting people who have done stuff like this right. Call it a shameless plug for my buddy Hot_Bid but theteamliquid.net front page is about the best example I can think of... I would take a shameless rip of that format with fighting game news over the existing front page any day
    "Sometimes she makes me mad so I want to how do you say... slap a hoe?" - Saitoh
  • True GraveTrue Grave Keepaway Specialist Joined: Posts: 3,554
    But unfortunately we can’t have nice things in life since we keep getting assaulted by more moronic things like an article on controllers and one on memorizing combos.

I thought some of those articles were pretty neat, especially the one about combo memorization. Though i don't think it was necessary as we kinda do that automatically and don't necessarily need it explained, it was still an interesting read.

So you're saying that each and every article must be to that extreme of strictly competitive topics? I think not. Other article involving relevant topics in fighting games is nice, such as the recent vid about the UMVC3 port on Vita.

SRK need not carry itself like an extremist forum(AKA: be competitive or %^$# off).
    3) Stop putting fucking pictures in between paragraphs; particularly huge ones. It makes all of you look insanely stupid and makes the community seem like a bunch of idiots in need of fancy picture books.

Plenty of articles on other sites divide or end its sections with pics. Does it matter if the rest of the content is still good?

SRK is already a widely recognized forum. Such things that are somewhat trivial in the end and won't hurt its image.
    4) Learn to use semicolons. Half the time when you use commas you should be using semicolons.

6) Stop doing one or two sentence paragraphs. It is sloppy and generally makes you all look stupid.

SRK and the front page are for gamers, they're not for compiling presentations for board room meetings here. As such, i hope i echo the majority when i say that members who read these articles aren't a bunch of anal-retentive grammar nazis. We don't give a damn if they aren't composed in a manner worthy of an A in an high-level college english class.

As long as the content itself is good and the overall grammar/sentence mechanics is decent. Thats good enough.

Shit does NOT have to go through hours of strict editing beforehand like its about to be published in a renowned science journal or something.

Edit #3: This article was edited twice. I wrote a rough draft. Afterwards I sent it to a friend and he did a first edit. Afterwards I looked at it a second time and did a second edit. This has been edited more times than most articles in the front page. I don’t expect perfect out of any of you but I do hope you put some semblance of effort.

If you were such hot shit you wouldn't have needed someone else to HELP you edit and sort out the errors in your own essay. Just saying....

Overall i do agree with a lot of your points. For what its worth i'd give you the job if i could.
    "Power without perception, is spiritually useless and therefore of no true value"
    I thought some of those articles were pretty neat, especially the one about combo memorization. Though i don't think it was necessary as we kinda do that automatically and don't necessarily need it explained, it was still an interesting read.

So you're saying that each and every article must be to that extreme of strictly competitive topics? I think not. Other article involving relevant topics in fighting games is nice, such as the recent vid about the UMVC3 port on Vita.

SRK need not carry itself like an extremist forum(AKA: be competitive or %^$# off).

Plenty of articles on other sites divide or end its sections with pics. Does it matter if the rest of the content is still good?

SRK is already a widely recognized forum. Such things that are somewhat trivial in the end and won't hurt its image.

SRK and the front page are for gamers, they're not for compiling presentations for board room meetings here. As such, i hope i echo the majority when i say that members who read these articles aren't a bunch of anal-retentive grammar nazis. We don't give a damn if they aren't composed in a manner worthy of an A in an high-level college english class.

As long as the content itself is good and the overall grammar/sentence mechanics is decent. Thats good enough.

Shit does NOT have to go through hours of strict editing beforehand like its about to be published in a renowned science journal or something.

If you were such hot shit you wouldn't have needed someone else to HELP you edit and sort out the errors in your own essay. Just saying....

Overall i do agree with a lot of your points. For what its worth i'd give you the job if i could.

I am drooling over your post right now. I swear people always wanna be elitist about something.
  • SurenioSurenio Joined: Posts: 1,108
    I am drooling over your post right now. I swear people always wanna be elitist about something.
    It's pretty sad that both of you seem to think proper grammar and structure when writing an article is trivial because of the website it's on. That's no excuse let alone insulting to the people who come here. Secondly, True Grave, there's a reason you have someone else read and look over your writing, go to school.
  • Silver Rain 007Silver Rain 007 Professional Economist Joined: Posts: 2,108
    To me this entire argument is sort of a microcosm for the FGC at large. I feel like Shoryuken USED TO BE the website dedicated to the competitive fighting game community, but I don't think it is that anymore or if it is, its working to transition into something larger. There are many people in the FGC who would like our scene to stay gritty, underground, raw so to speak. But people who can capitalize on their talents want access to bigger prize pools that say sponsorship brings. Sponsorship that comes with responsibilities to the people they represent to represent their brands with professionalism and class, you can see where these values can come into conflict very quickly and in our case will take time, and honest debate to resolve.

I think what many SRK diehards are experiencing is something akin to politics in the United States in the far right and far left. You see your candidates go through a primary, speaking directly to you, giving you everything you want, then its time for the general election and they leave you to get the middle knowing where your vote is and you kick and complain but at the end, you can't vote for the other guy so you come back home, vote for the guy you loved in the primary and grumble.

To me, SRK has little competition with the exception of something like Eventhubs when it comes to providing relevant 'news' to the FGC and so many SRK diehards are so ANTI-Eventhubs that SRK feels it can evolve and change and maybe go after more casual fighting game fans with more of its content and they know you'll stick around. You may create threads like this and kick and complain bitterly about it, but where else are you going to go? You'll either create you're own competitor (which is feasible, there's not a huge barrier to entry) or go to something like Eventhubs which we've established for many of the people posting in this thread isn't going to happen.

So I think its great that SRK has the ability to let you express your frustrations, they haven't shut the thread down, they're open to criticism, but they're making an active editorial decision to expand their reader base, you don't have to like it, but its hard to argue that SRK growing its ability to raise money through getting more eyeballs to the site is bad for the FGC at large. Especially when its stuff like this which allows SRK to put on Showmatches that are going to put 1K into 3 different people's pockets.

TL;DR SRK is choosing to grow up and get more people to read, feel free to complain but you know you're not going anywhere else. But yes, as a matter of professionalism, some more editing certainly wouldn't hurt.
    I wanted to put something witty about Economics and E-Sports here... but all I can say is wow... the people who signed up to take my class on E-Sports... fail.
    It's pretty sad that both of you seem to think proper grammar and structure when writing an article is trivial because of the website it's on. That's no excuse let alone insulting to the people who come here. Secondly, True Grave, there's a reason you have someone else read and look over your writing, go to school.

And I ask, On what basis does it make it "sad" that I think proper grammar and structure( when point is still clearly seen) is not even close to as important as the content of the article?

Maybe you just want to objectify a subjective matter of importance to stand on your elitist high horse....... well who knows.
    Also dont worry about my intelligence being insulted. My intelligence doesnt revolve around something as shallow as language. :)
  • SurenioSurenio Joined: Posts: 1,108
    And I ask, On what basis does it make it "sad" that I think proper grammar and structure( when point is still clearly seen) is not even close to as important as the content of the article?

Maybe you just want to objectify a subjective matter of importance to stand on your elitist high horse....... well who knows.
    Also dont worry about my intelligence being insulted. My intelligence doesnt revolve around something as shallow as language. :)
    Caring about proper grammar and structure from paid writers on a website speaking to potentially thousands if not more shouldn't even be a concern because that's writing 101, literally writing 101. Don't write to represent a website as high profile as SRK and put in 0 effort in your writing. It's hard to take someones point seriously when it's so terribly written and their point goes around in circles because of no structure*cough* d3v*cough*
    Caring about proper grammar and structure from paid writers on a website speaking to potentially thousands if not more shouldn't even be a concern because that's writing 101, literally writing 101. Don't write to represent a website as high profile as SRK and put in 0 effort in your writing. It's hard to take someones point seriously when it's so terrible written and their point goes around in circles because of no structure*cough* d3v*cough*

Okay structure, I'll give you that. Grammar, meh i dont care too much for it unless the meaning is not clear.

I would agree if all this wasn't a midst a pile of shit parading as articles. Not to mention the lack of organization behind it. Let's take a look at what's actually there for a minute.

Persona 4 - I like where this is going. Unique fighting game related content.

SC1 for iOS - You need a whole article for every game going to a mobile platform?

MK9 NEC results - This is dogshit, not because it's MK9 and I hate the game. Where is the 1 fucking article with the NEC results? There are different ones for different games. This a great example of where a little organization goes a long way, you can condense 4-5 front page articles into a single one that covers related topics.

DoA gamespot footage - This is more shit. You have another "article" about the same thing a few posts below. Again, have one person organize the shit and have a SINGLE article written for all the DoA announcements in a given period of time.

SC5 Content - I would be all for this one if there weren't 5 other SC5 content related articles that went up since NEC.

AE combo video featuring Cammy and Sagat - This is the epitome of spam. The sheer number of combo videos you see on the front page blows my mind and pushes everything off the front page. I have seen "articles" where they try and have the weeks worth of combo videos and not cared enough to look at them. Why? Because every notable one had it's own "article" on the front page already. That is where I lose my shit, you have someone smart enough to decide there should be a single article for the weeks worth of videos. But everyone and their mother puts them up anyways... I don't get it.

Then you have an interview with James Chen about a hot topic - The whole fighting games as they relate to eSports thing, which is the first thing on the whole front page that should be there by itself. Even then I would love to see an article detailing WTF happened before that, give the people who don't click refresh on the front page some background on the fucking topic.

I'm going to stop mentioning everything up there right now for the sake of not calling it all shit. The Wakeup SRK related "article" and the news about MvC glitch to be patched out are actually useful, the rest is redundant dogshit that reminds me how little organization there is to the front page.

Check out Team Liquid's website if you want to see what a bit of organization does for you

PS (edit) - Why are you guys bitching about grammar the whole time? Is it so much to ask for people getting paid to write to do so with proper mechanics? All this whining about grammar does is detract from the real point here, the lack of organization. Stop crying over semantics and voice a relevant opinion