The Breaker's Revenge Thread

Comments

• pc1x1pc1x1 New Challenger! Joined: Posts: 1,514
    My original post, prior to knowing about this thread, I am going to read the entire post, and will update my reactions accordingly.

Anyhow, this is an old game circa 1998. Its the sequel or more like an update to the original breakers by visco games for SNK. So while its no SF3, since both were around same time in arcades, its certainly a solid, and extremely fun game. I am honing my skills, I am late to the party, as I recently stumbled across this gem, but extreme solid, its a little different, and takes some getting used to.

Anyhow lets see if we can create a mini scene for it,

Lets start with the basics, Tiers, Match compability. Also anyone know any good sites for info on it, aside from gamefaqs, and where I could find some sprites, otherwise I may have to sprite rip myself, or if anyone is good at ripping please, give me a hand.

Tiers, based on my BIASED opinion <3 Tia

Uber
    Top player using Tia ;)

Godly Tier
    Bai-Hu (lol dmitri, Bison, and Akuma rip off ;) )

Tia, Sho, Pielle, Condor, Dao-Long

Mid
    Alsion III, Maherl, Rila

Low
    Saizo

Its a very solid game, wish they made a sequel, makes me want to make HD art for it, can someone help me rip the sprites ;).

Thanks!

ps. I hate Saizo, and apparently hes top tier lol go figure!
    Sho is good and top obviously ;).
    SRK, its all :lovin: + :mad: all the time.
    フィリップ 日本語をいつの日か学ぶ
    Alsion should be a LOT higher than that.

Well I made my list = Biased

Aka how good "I" am with each of the characters, and how good they are vs me in arcade mode. I just tallied results in a matrix and made it. Saizo always got pwned down hard, and hence why hes in low tier, and I don't care for his playstyle, so I need input from others.

Anyone here could sprite rip all the chars from the game, and stages, or assist me in doing it, I tried however results have not been satisfactory yet.

I love Tia's giggle when she wins, and the monk jumping up and down in her stage, his reactions to moves are priceless, always brings a smile to my face :)
    フィリップ 日本語をいつの日か学ぶ
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Oh ok. Just checkin'.....But put this game level 8 and then fight Alsion....Put me in your will.
    Oh ok. Just checkin'.....But put this game level 8 and then fight Alsion....Put me in your will.

I actually raped Alsion on level 8 :rolleyes:, no bs.
    I'll see if I can make a vid later, though I have yet to beat the game on lvl 8, I got about halfway. Iam uber cheap on my set ups though. And to Alsion's defense, I lost the first match, I won first round, he won the 2nd others, then I came back and took 2 home. :lol:

Man I want to play Dark Geese, hes suposed to be Uber in SNK games, I want to challenge his title ;)
    フィリップ 日本語をいつの日か学ぶ
    I want to play him also as he knows some of my friends. I just gotta make up a good reason to go to Texas.
  • nothingxsnothingxs EVO Head TO Joined: Posts: 1,688
    i proclaim myself self-titled master of breaker's revenge :o

and by that i mean i can beat keits
  • FullMetalRossFullMetalRoss That Hurt! Liar... Joined: Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    after doing a little testing I have only one problem with this game. The girl whatever her name is, has a completely broken super. Sure others can compete but they have to be incredibly careful in fighting her. Basically she can reversal almost anything with a sweep, even a decent number of htings on hit become unsafe. I don't think Allison can do a safe combo on her (well besides into supers) that she can't reversal super. Her super is like 3s ken on crack.

Also when paired with the juggle off of sweep it's pretty intense since she often only needs to poke with her godly sweep into fireball to build meter then if it hits cancel into super... So good.

Plus she beats Condor pretty much for free if she plays right, and he gives tons of people trouble. I'd say really only pele has a good chance of competing with her, since in my testing Sho and dao have very few safe thing they can do against her if she has meter. Pele has to basically sit back though and use his superior reach to beat her. It's very boring and she can still win the match no problem, she just has to be more weary and run away and build meter more.
    <<>>
  • INCIDENTINCIDENT ACTION BASTARD! Joined: Posts: 335
    i proclaim myself self-titled master of breaker's revenge :o

and by that i mean i can beat keits
    Care to bet on that? :3
  • Rioting SoulRioting Soul Joined: Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    after doing a little testing I have only one problem with this game. The girl whatever her name is, has a completely broken super. Sure others can compete but they have to be incredibly careful in fighting her. Basically she can reversal almost anything with a sweep, even a decent number of htings on hit become unsafe. I don't think Allison can do a safe combo on her (well besides into supers) that she can't reversal super. Her super is like 3s ken on crack.

Also when paired with the juggle off of sweep it's pretty intense since she often only needs to poke with her godly sweep into fireball to build meter then if it hits cancel into super... So good.

Plus she beats Condor pretty much for free if she plays right, and he gives tons of people trouble. I'd say really only pele has a good chance of competing with her, since in my testing Sho and dao have very few safe thing they can do against her if she has meter. Pele has to basically sit back though and use his superior reach to beat her. It's very boring and she can still win the match no problem, she just has to be more weary and run away and build meter more.

What do you mean by using her sweep as reversal? Is all of her leg invincible?
    This game is awesome! i play with Sho... but im still thinking that Condor is Top Tier, no one can beat the priority of his "Tomahawk Super".

If you mean the first hit then yeah. Just block the first hit then do a reversal to beat the second hit. You can't interrupt the second hit with normals, IT'S A TRAP.
  • Dark GeeseDark Geese Joined: Posts: 12,439
    Breakers Revenge Tiers go like this guys-

S Class is Saizo, Condor, Sho.
    A Class is Tia and possibly Dao Long and Rila.

You all want to play me in Breakers? LOL. I'll be back with a vengeance come Season #2!
    **The KOF Cup 2011: March 10-14th, CDJ, Mexico w/Hummer from JAPAN!**
    **Mexico vs. Japan Part III!!**
    Come on now, I saw those match vids Dark Geese posted so I know more ppl are interested. Get your asses in here.
    You can't interrupt the second hit with normals, IT'S A TRAP.

I take that back. Playing the game recently, I've been seeing the second hit of Tomahawk super being interrupted by fast lows after blocking the first hit. It seems to share the properties of regular Tomahawk(ABC/BCD) in that it stuffs everything but attacks that are low to the ground.

Here is some stuff noticed while playing:

-Boring Dao Long is Condor's WORST NIGHTMARE. Keep your fire kick charged. I usually only use Sonic Boom if you can cancel into it from a blocked/hit normal. If you use it otherwise, you'll be in a situation where Condor is close and you don't have fire kick charged(or you'll just eat Tomahawk super). Only use the short fire kick and don't use it early. Condor can stuff roundhouse fire kick and early short fire kick. Condor's game devolves into trying to bait out a whiff.

-Tia's shoryu super gets stuffed by lows.

-Condor's standing fierce beats out Dao Long's cr.RH. And I don't mean up close either. IT HIT THE LEG.

-Normally, Tia's shoryu super beats out Maherl's hcf+LP. But it appears that there's a way to make it the other way around. Whenever my friend had me in the corner and did j.HP,HPxxhcf+LP on block, my super would only trade.

-Maherl ain't shit without super.

-These are the moves I know of that can be interrupted with super:

Maherl's HP fire spin
    Maherl's sword super(right before last hit)
    Maherl's genie(up close, Tomahawk super went through on start up and hit Maherl)
    Condor's Tomahawk Super
  • woofwoof : - ) Joined: Posts: 2,503
    im the best at this game

saizos got like 20 blockstrings that give him a full bar its awesome
    What do you mean by using her sweep as reversal? Is all of her leg invincible?

If you mean the first hit then yeah. Just block the first hit then do a reversal to beat the second hit. You can't interrupt the second hit with normals, IT'S A TRAP.

I meant super I just miswrote...
    <<>>
  • ThrowTheDiceThrowTheDice Yahooey! Joined: Posts: 246
    -Maherl ain't shit without super.

Seconded. Any more info you could give about Maherl? He's my main. I'm a scrub at this game, but it's just too awesome.

EDIT:

A Sho combo I discovered:

Jumpin --> :snkc: , :snkc: XX :r: :l: :r: :snkc: --> :qcb: :qcb: :snkd: . Even if he has better options, this just looks too cool.

Also, Dao Lon's crouching :snkb: can combo into his :snkb: :snkc: , and can link into another crouching :snkb: . Can this infinite?
    God 2.0: When I play a fighting game, I want to play it like chess, not like guitar hero.
    New SamSho V Special thread, get on the gravy train: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=186398
  • Leebee LinkLeebee Link (they/them) Joined: Posts: 2,260
    Breakers Revenge Tiers go like this guys-

S Class is Saizo, Condor, Sho.
    A Class is Tia and possibly Dao Long and Rila.

You all want to play me in Breakers? LOL. I'll be back with a vengeance come Season #2!

condor better than tia?

yeah no nice try
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure- Mariah, Jotaro
    KoF XIII- Robert, Elisabeth, Ash
    Battle Fantasia- Urs, Ashley, Face
  • Josh-TheFunkDOCJosh-TheFunkDOC Double Dutch! Joined: Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think he wrote that after Evo North, where I won with Condor.

With what's gone on since then, he would probably agree with us now.
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-speedrunning - My live stream, mainly speedruns w/ some other stuff now and then
    condor better than tia?

yeah no nice try
    I think he wrote that after Evo North, where I won with Condor.

With what's gone on since then, he would probably agree with us now.

Can someone explain? Or provide a youtube link?

Here's something else I learned through playing, time an early Condor slide against a waking opponent and buffer a 720. Damn that shit is sweet.

Condor's sweep as a meaty cleanly stuffs Sho's qcb+K.
    Seconded. Any more info you could give about Maherl? He's my main. I'm a scrub at this game, but it's just too awesome.

More Maherl stuff(my friend plays him not me):

Against the higher tiers, all of his tools have a counter, but he needs to use them anyway. All of his standing specials seem to get beat out by Condor slide once he finishes start up. If you do either of your fire specials far enough for it to whiff then chances are that a jump in attempt will fail, but Condor and Tia can go under it(and maybe Sho can do air fireball super). Your best bet seems to be using his light fire(the one that shoots straight forward) at a range where it will not whiff. At this range, Condor will be forced to block/get hit and once he's pushed out, he won't have enough time to slide(but I think Tia can still shoryu super you). Use the downward slash to anti-air if you feel like not turtling. His sweep is really good.
  • Dark GeeseDark Geese Joined: Posts: 12,439
    Yes I do agree with Josh..guys..you all need to check the Video Gallery..I got the Breakers Revemge footage from NEC8 (not all) at the Eye of the Ragin Storm Vid thread...

Look there...you will find all the Breakers footage thus far right there..

The tier list has changed guys..apparently you didnt see the one I put in my SNK Storm thread...

Edit- We have rough tiers along the line of Rila, Tia, Saizo, Sho, Condor..
    **The KOF Cup 2011: March 10-14th, CDJ, Mexico w/Hummer from JAPAN!**
    **Mexico vs. Japan Part III!!**
    Yeah, I haven't been following that thread.

Are you talking about your post here?
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=4675355&postcount=106

I've seen all the matches. The only thing I noticed about Rila was her cr.C stuffing a good number of attacks. From playing, I know she has some good invincibility on her rising kick special but what else? Can we discuss what makes her top tier, because I'm drawing a blank?
  • woofwoof : - ) Joined: Posts: 2,503
    spinning craw

all her normals are a fuckin aa
  • ThrowTheDiceThrowTheDice Yahooey! Joined: Posts: 246
    Maherl's balloon stomp can cross up if you go far enough, but it will only do one hit. Not sure of how useful this would be, as the balloon stomp has a bit of lag, I'll have to test this out in an actual match. Also, his belly hop ( :snka: :snkc: ) is a pretty good move: quick, good range, great priority (for him) and tons of frame advantage.
    God 2.0: When I play a fighting game, I want to play it like chess, not like guitar hero.
    New SamSho V Special thread, get on the gravy train: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=186398
    Maherl's balloon stomp can cross up if you go far enough, but it will only do one hit. Not sure of how useful this would be, as the balloon stomp has a bit of lag, I'll have to test this out in an actual match. Also, his belly hop ( :snka: :snkc: ) is a pretty good move: quick, good range, great priority (for him) and tons of frame advantage.

his infinite is with his belly hop. Its not that hard if Im remembering right... hard but not impossible.
    <<>>
  • Rick_SonRick_Son A Living Legend Joined: Posts: 368
    this is a Major Sleeper right here.

I might start playing this on Kaillera soon....

if anyone else is interested, PM Me.
    Accept Your Defeat!

GGPO - Rick_Son
    SuperCade - Rick_Son
    ArcLive - Rick_Son
  • CoosCoosCoosCoos Yep. Joined: Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    this is a Major Sleeper right here.

I might start playing this on Kaillera soon....

if anyone else is interested, PM Me.

Pm sent.
    AE: Fei

Marvel: Mag/Doom/Dante

UNIEL: Waldstein

EDIT:

A Sho combo I discovered:

Jumpin --> :snkc: , :snkc: XX :r: :l: :r: :snkc: --> :qcb: :qcb: :snkd: . Even if he has better options, this just looks too cool.

Also, Dao Lon's crouching :snkb: can combo into his :snkb: :snkc: , and can link into another crouching :snkb: . Can this infinite?

I couldn't get @ you on aim so I'll just post it on here.

I played around with that for a bit after you told me about it, and you can only do it in the corner. Also, it's way easier to link a lp than a lk. That's because Dao's lp comes out a bit faster. So that being said, corner combo that works on everyone would be:

j. hk, (cr. lp, cr. lk, lk+hk)x2, st. lp, st. lk, lp+hp xx fireball/ranbu super.

Sometimes after the (cr. lp, cr. lk, lk+hk)x2, you can try st. lp, st. lk, lk+hk and see if it stuns. If it does, just do the above combo for an easy 95-100% combo.

Against Condor though, the above combos work in the corner, as well as you can do (close st. d, hp+hk)x2 to him if he's standing. So a combo for him that does pretty alright damage in the corner would be:

j. hk, (close st. hk, hp+hk)x2, st. lk, lk+hk, st. lp, st. lk, lp+hp xx fireball/ranbu super.

After you hit Condor with the hp+hk, it's pretty flexible for what you want to do after it. You have a lot of time. Also in the variation I wrote above, replacing st. lp, st. lk, lp+hp with st. lp, st. lk, lk+hk, should stun him or he'll be close to it. If that's the case, just do the combo over with super for 100%.

The first combo by the way I tested on everyone and it works on everyone. The second one only works on Condor. This make Dao very dangerous in the corner because he can high/low you into a stun combo or big damage. You can do cr. lk, lk+hk for the low, it's relatively safe I think cause you can link lp and keep them in stun, or hp+hk overhead, link cr. lp, but the problem is he goes really high before he hits with the elbow, but it works.

If I play someone online who knows how to record ish off of mame, I'd show you guys what all of this looks like and then you guys can see how it works, but try it.

Sorry for rebumping the thread over and over, but I've been testing out lots of things over the past few days and I figured I would share em.

I think a lot of people don't use Sho's air moves a lot. One of he reasons he is top tier is the fact that he can control the air a lot better than most of the cast. Also, he is the only one in the game who can hit confirm in the air to super. But you can use his air moves in a lot of ways, in which you can use to avoid attacks, as well as run away and surprise people. So play around and see what you do with em.

Tia should be S class IMO. Reason is because of her supers. They have amazing punishing capabilities. Also, all 3 of her supers can be canceled or linked from everything. Also, her ground game is very solid, and she has a really good throw range. So tick throw/combo games can be mega painful. Also, far st. hp xx shoryu super/max range cr. hk xx kick super makes her the best whiff punisher in the game period.

Maherl can somewhat do an infinite. It goes something like:

(far st. lk/cr. hp, lp+hp)xn. Once you get used to the timing it will be useful. Also, pressuring with lp+hp can be beneficial. Make sure you have your ranges right though, because if you don't you can get hit out. Also, Maherl can OTG with Kadabura super. So keep that in mind.

I'll post more laters.

This game is awesome!
    Tia and Dao Long are what i usually use
    Tia is toned down sho? i thought sho was harder to use
    my bro uses Condor and man it's hard to fight!
  • Rick_SonRick_Son A Living Legend Joined: Posts: 368
    yeah I got your message I just haven't on in a while. We should set up a day to play.:woot:
    Accept Your Defeat!

GGPO - Rick_Son
    SuperCade - Rick_Son
    ArcLive - Rick_Son
    Breakers' Revenge is a great game indeed...I didn't even know anything about it until I played it on MAME when I was deployed in Iraq; someone gave me the MAME emulator with all the games hahaha. But the game is real good and I still play it from time to time but mot competitively. I like Tia and Sho the most!
  • Sanjuro_The_RoninSanjuro_The_Ronin ST 4 life yo! Joined: Posts: 572
    Bump, maybe some Dao Long tips against Saizo?
    It's kind of late in history to be coming up with real good ideas, luckily I have plenty of really bad fucking ideas.
  • RedmystRedmyst Always learning Joined: Posts: 177
    What about Rila? Sure she does not have a good ranged game, but she makes up for her strength, and great anti air.
    Burn the problem at the source, and watch the change happen.
  • KeitsKeits OneTrueGame.com Joined: Posts: 8,765 mod
    Just saying hello and that I love breakers a lot. Ill play anytime.
    Visit OneTrueGame.com for information on DIVEKICK, Tunnel, and future projects.
  • metalmike31216metalmike31216 The Wall Joined: Posts: 1,110
    Just saying hello and that I love breakers a lot. Ill play anytime.

then we should play some time on 2df.....
    :coffee:
    Me + Nanaya Shiki = 1 on 1 Government WORLD CHAMPIONS
  • DIMMU SAKURABADIMMU SAKURABA Joined: Posts: 495
    I challenge everyone to Breaker's Revenge on 2df
  • TX-PabloxTX-Pablox Joined: Posts: 36
    very funny game!!! who wanna blood dance lag whit me?? in 2df!!!

dao long, condor, rila and saizo!!!

sho killers team!!! o:
  • SixMachineSixMachine Joined: Posts: 2,346
    ggs pablox. You dominated me. :pray: :bgrin:

I got this game recently for 2dfighter. Still learning, so if you want free wins, I can be your practice dummy. :pleased:

If anyone sees me on, don't be afraid to hit me up.
    hey man ggs!! if you see on 2df kyore, txorder or tsrock challenge them ,they are good fighters too
  • CybernetikCybernetik Skynet HQ Joined: Posts: 56
    xD Wow and here I thought only very few people in this world played this awesome game.
    AE: E.Ryu/Yang/Cody/Ryu/Seth 3S: Yang
    KOFXIII: Kyo/Duo Lon/Andy
  • ZandwichZandwich prince of all saiyan Joined: Posts: 449
    So OK I wrote the Wiki for this along w/ CrazyDazed

http://www.shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Breakers_Revenge

heres 2 tutorial videos.

-Cancels and Juggles
    - Breakering

I play this on 2df you can fight me
    here picture of king corn climbin a mountain
    great video man, break combos is like Killer Instinct o:
  • ZandwichZandwich prince of all saiyan Joined: Posts: 449
    this game is on GGPO now
    here picture of king corn climbin a mountain
  • -JuNo--JuNo- Joined: Posts: 185
    Breakers is pretty fun.. fast paced, simple combos, LOTS of jabbing and low shorts !! supers can be kinda random though.. oh yeah sho is a beast! guy has literally tons of ways to mixup and overrun the opponent.
  • AtTheGatesAtTheGates combodrcker Joined: Posts: 436
    GGs @ deadly rave neo,
    i didn't expect the connection to be so good, eastcoast - europe breakers is definitely playable!
    The morbid, muted body
    Is dissected, lacerated and shred -
    Life is hard as a mortuary technician
    The fumes go straight to my head...
  • DeadlyRave-NeoDeadlyRave-Neo Joined: Posts: 500
    GGs @ deadly rave neo,
    i didn't expect the connection to be so good, eastcoast - europe breakers is definitely playable!

yeah man ggs to you gotta beat that ninja
    friends dont let friends use macros
  • catchafirecatchafire My Crew Joined: Posts: 2,496
    This is on ggpo btw. i'm sure old news
    The best thing you can give a person is your time.
  • SinJulSinJul Tiger Bazooka! Joined: Posts: 291
    This is on ggpo btw. i'm sure old news

Yeah, we germans already had a breakers tournament.:rofl:
    http://www.akihabarashop.jp The best shop for Arcade Parts!
    http://sinjul.wordpress.com/ My Arcade Stick News/Reviews blog!
    yeah, now is available on ggpo and 2df, may be i host a a short tournament between chile brazil and argentina players

mm 8 players tournament xD, and it is say too much
  • rexyaresexyrexyaresexy Training Mode Abuser Joined: Posts: 463
    This game is fun. Used to play this on kaillera a few years back.
  • ArugulaZArugulaZ Uses Dan w/o Irony Joined: Posts: 129
    It's a pretty solid game in the vein of Street Fighter Alpha... arguably the closest thing to the games the Neo-Geo has. However, the one thing that always irritated me about the game is that it spits out the same enthusiastic fanfare regardless of whether you win or lose. You're not supposed to be happy that I lost, dammit!
    Dude, that's not Pringles! That's barely even Munchos!

Visit The Gameroom Blitz:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • ChibiPotPieChibiPotPie Epic Joined: Posts: 347
    Anyone still playing this? The room on GGPO is empty most of the time or at least when I go into it, so I can only play a handful of players on Kaillera. Currently using Condor, Rila and Tia.

Curious to know if Saizo has any options once Condor gets in on him in the corner? I can stuff or avoid all three of Saizo's supers on wake ups with jumping lk and that crescent sword attack he uses is too slow for a wakeup. Seems like Saizo only way out is a lucky sweep or random izuna drop.
    SS3Ken: Super Off Road

S tier- that damn gray car.