The System Mechanics Thread

Comments

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    DooM wrote:
    my guess is if you did whatever move in the air except for divekick, you have tripgaurd, which means you have like a pause before you can do anything.

Right idea, but the opposite.. If you perform a move in the air, then you LOSE your tripguard. Kinda like CvS2.

I learned not to always throw a jumping attack after landing on far chun d.MK into super a bazillion times.

Divekick doesn't cancel tripguard?
  • UltraDavidUltraDavid commenta..ttorney?? Joined: Posts: 6,053
    Here's a question: how many frames after you press the up button to jump do you have to wait before you can input a parry? Or maybe a better question, considering different characters have different pre-jump frames, is: how many frames after your character goes airborn do you have to wait before you can input a parry?
    Your legal insider in entertainment and video games!
    www.dpgatlaw.com
    www.twitter.com/UltraDavid
    www.facebook.com/UltraDavidFB
    I just realized, is this is why I always see uriens do dash -> d.HP into heabutt after throw? My low short gets parried, and my headbutt doesn't come out because of the weakattack-parry disadvantage. But if I do a crouching fierce, I can cancel into headbutt and they can't stop it! (well, besides gigas or something)

Thanks Jinrai! :D
  • halluciN8halluciN8 Joined: Posts: 77
    UltraDavid wrote:
    Here's a question: how many frames after you press the up button to jump do you have to wait before you can input a parry? Or maybe a better question, considering different characters have different pre-jump frames, is: how many frames after your character goes airborn do you have to wait before you can input a parry?
    I have a similar Q to this, sometimes I'll superjump forward and I'll parry an attack just above the ground as I'm rising. I was thinking you could escape some denjin setups doing this as long as they don't release denjin right on top of you as you wake. So as soon as you wake superjump upforward and they'll release once they see you attempt a jump and you'll register an air parry right? Fuckin denjin...
  • DooMDooM Joined: Posts: 1,036
    hallucin8: it should be possible, i have done it, its just one parry then =D weeee

and best kind boxer: ahh right, i always wondered why you GOT tripGAURD after doing an aerial move ;) logic seems to seep from it.

and every divekick (akuma, necro, yun/yang) dont cancel out tripgaurd, you can block/throw/whatever after landing, same with d+mk of chun-li and probably some others.
  • halluciN8halluciN8 Joined: Posts: 77
    Thanks again DooM.
  • GaijinblazeGaijinblaze fingerlicans Joined: Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I don't think this has been asked yet. How many frames of recovery are there for a whiffed throw?
    This message will self-destruct.
  • JinraiJinrai Joined: Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Throw whiffs are 21 frames long.
    The parry data was sooo interesting. Now I can know why some parries did work and others not.

Questions for you :
    How much frames is the game frozen when you hit someone ?

What is the frame window to cancel/super-cancel out of moves into super/specials?

What is the frame window for chaining in target chains and when can you press the next button?

Is there any proprieties attached to a move when you do it and the "reversal" message(ex does it come out any faster, more priority, etc)?

What is the number of frames of charge required for charge moves ?
    I can't answer any but the last two questions.

"Reversal" only means that you did the move on the first possible frame.

Charge time is 42 frames.
  • fatbearfatbear Hebrew Hammer Joined: Posts: 1,021
    What is the frame window to cancel/super-cancel out of moves into super/specials?

What is the frame window for chaining in target chains and when can you press the next button?

I get the feeling both of these properties are dependent on the specific moves. All I know is I keep accidently doing 2 jabs with chun li when I double tap... You can definitely input the next move in a chain before the previous one hits.
    If we go into specific cases, let's compare chun's low forward x super to ken's low forward super .

Stats: start-up|active|recovery
    chun-li: 6|2|14
    ken: 6|5|17

I want to know what is the window to cancel into a super/special.

Oh and what are the effects of being granted (or not) a tripguard (how long is the pause when you do not have it) ?

What is the maximal time between partitions of a charge to be still counted as a charge ?

Is the parry frame windows universal or can it be character specific ?
    If you partitionned (way) more than 42 frames total does it still count as a full charge ?
    There is no data available on cancel windows or tripguard. Clearly, some moves have larger cancel windows than others.

Parry frame windows are universal. What isn't universal is whether the opponent moves backwards, forwards, or neither during parrystun.

A partitioned charge will work as long as 1) you've spent at least 42 frames total in the charge position and 2) you don't attempt another partition after you've reached 42 frames of charging.

You're allowed to leave the charge position for up to 10 frames before losing the charge. If you've charged less than 42 frames total, you can return to the charge position and keep your charge. If you go past 42 frames, you'll lose your charge 10 frames after you leave the charge position no matter what.

Example:

With Urien, hold down for half a second (no longer). Dash and bring the stick back to down as soon as you can. Hold down a little longer after you've recovered from the dash, then press up+P. You'll get a headbutt.

Now try holding down for 5 seconds. Dash and bring the stick back to down as soon as you can. After you've recovered from the dash, press up+P. There won't be any headbutt because you've charged longer than 42 frames before dashing.
    Hey thanks, that's very well answered.
  • FlareFlare Joined: Posts: 274
    can an opponent be thrown (normal throw [lp+lk], command grab, super art throw) on their first wakeup frame? Since normal throws and many command throws only have one hit frame, the timing may be too strict to do consistently. However, if done meaty and with perfect timing, command throws and throw supers may be inescapable for some characters.

For instance, Makoto knocks Ryu down with down+hp. Ryu does not tech roll. Makoto then walks up and does kara karakusa (which supposedly has more than one hit frame). Unless, Ryu has SA II (his only one frame start up move) stocked and executes a reversal on wakeup, he will be grabbed.

This may be a poor example because karakusa can tech normal throws, so what about
    Akuma's Shun Goku Sastu or Hugo's command throws?
    There is a small window where the opponent cannot be thrown after waking up. I don't know how many frames it is, but it's probably around 3-5.

In other words, you can always hold up on wakeup to escape a ground throw.
    JinraiPVC wrote:
    There is a small window where the opponent cannot be thrown after waking up. I don't know how many frames it is, but it's probably around 3-5.

In other words, you can always hold up on wakeup to escape a ground throw.

But, can you be thrown during pre-jump frames? If not, then that would explain why you can't throw someone who holds up. The first frame is pre-jump, and can't be thrown. Right?

I know you can't throw superjump pre-jump, but I dunno about normal pre-jump.
    So regarding the charge, if I want to throw tackles while overwriting charges ([B.42f],F,[B.9f],HK) I cannot go over 10 frames of other actions before releasing the special move ?
    Best Kind Boxer: I'm not entirely sure. The fact that you can't jump out of a point-blank Raging Demon implies that you can be thrown out of normal pre-jump, but the Demon can't grab you if you're hit out of the air and hold up as you land.

Juchel.Zero: That's right. You'll have already charged the second tackle for 9 frames before the first one even comes out.
  • LiSyaoranLiSyaoran Go For Broke! Joined: Posts: 1,442
    Good stuff Jinrai.
    But are you 100% sure about throws being 2 frames, I could of swore they came out in 3 frames
    BF: Olivia, Watson
    SSF4: Seth, Abel
    3s: Yang, Alex, Gouki
    GMotW: Terry, Grant
    JinraiPVC wrote:
    Best Kind Boxer: I'm not entirely sure. The fact that you can't jump out of a point-blank Raging Demon implies that you can be thrown out of normal pre-jump, but the Demon can't grab you if you're hit out of the air and hold up as you land.

Yeah, that's true. But you could look at it another way. If there is indeed a "no-throw" window similar to other SF games, you should be able to check it out?

Say, maybe, have Akuma do raging demon on someone as the get up, or after hitting them out of the air (any meaty demon setup) Now, if there is a no-throw window, should say, I dunno, Chun be able to do wake-up d.LP to hit him out of it during this no-throw window?

edit: although, who knows, maybe it's like CFJ and the window is cancel when you attack, I dunno lol
    LiSyaoran: Throws have 2 frames of startup, which means you're grabbed on the 3rd frame. Anything that says 3 frames of startup is Dreamcast data, which adds one frame of startup to all moves.
  • RoskiRoski The Triad Joined: Posts: 1,949
    I'm not sure about waking up, but characters can be thrown during prejump frames.

In training mode, set the dummy to jump (which I assume is the equivalent to just "holding up"). It's tricky timing, but the dummy can be normal thrown, and command thrown.
    JinraiPVC wrote:
    LiSyaoran: Throws have 2 frames of startup, which means you're grabbed on the 3rd frame. Anything that says 3 frames of startup is Dreamcast data, which adds one frame of startup to all moves.
    I understand this. But if something actually hits on the 3rd frame, would that still indicate that its a 3 framer. Attacks that have a 3 frame start up hit on the third frame.
    Like Ibukis C.Sht to C.Jab link. C.Sht has a +3 frame advantage, and C.Jab has a 3 frame startup. It hits on the third frame allowing this link to be possible.
    Well, I guess I'm not sure then. The frame data site I go to says that her throw has 2 frames of startup and 1 "active" frame. It also says exactly what you're saying about her low Short and low Jab.
    I got another question, and seriously, how meny frames does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop???
    Depends on the strength of your lick, and how many you can link together
  • MertMert Yaouchh Seafood Soup Joined: Posts: 377
    throws have a 3 frame start up. do ken's crouching mk xx shippu and parry the mk. ken cannot be thrown, but do any move with a 2 frame start up (such as Ryu's EX srk or Hugo's moonsault press) and ken will be hit/thrown before the shippu is activated.
    Let's get real. The only reason I even go on SRK anymore is for the SF2CE thread. True story.
    Mert wrote:
    throws have a 3 frame start up. do ken's crouching mk xx shippu and parry the mk. ken cannot be thrown, but do any move with a 2 frame start up (such as Ryu's EX srk or Hugo's moonsault press) and ken will be hit/thrown before the shippu is activated.
    Thats what I thought
  • CYBORG COPCYBORG COP CYBER COP Joined: Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It depends on what you mean when you say 2-frame startup. Does this mean that the attack hits on the 2nd frame? I think the convention is that the attack has 2 frames BEFORE it hits, then it hits on the 3rd frame. I remember reading in the CFJ guide that Zangief's SPD has 0 frames of startup (instant). It wouldn't make sense if the attack hit on the 0th frame. Obviously, it has 0 frames before it actually hits on the 1st frame. So let's stick with that convention. So it stands that normal throws have 2 frames of startup and hit on the 3rd frame.

And sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I WILL get to it.
    Most if not all of the frame data that I have looked at have there frame data to mean that if its a 8 framer, it hits on the 8th frame.... and the same for all frame data
  • blk_brothablk_brotha Veteran Gamer of FGs and RPGs Joined: Posts: 936
    Not tryin to jump off the subject about the mechanics. I would like to get to know the frame data in general and where I could find it. I read through this whole post and I want to get involved in it also.

Question about the parry system, how many frames does it take to input a red parry? and how to know when you can do it when the opponets is attacking you with multi-hit specails, links and projectiles?
    I make moves like chess... CHECKMATE!
  • MuskauMuskau The Patriots Joined: Posts: 1,033
    Go to Training Mode, set Yun to jump in the corner, have Necro do Slam Dance(SA2) timed to catch Yun as he lands from his jump, easy eh? Now hit Yun with JP Spin fist, reset with jab, and try to catch Yun with the Slam Dance the same way, with Yun still set to jump. I haven't been able to catch Yun with Slam Dance this way, and I've tried all different types of timings. Anyone can explain this?
    When this site started, some six years ago, if you made some dumb "hi i'm new" thread, your ass was grass. Much like high school, you learned to watch what you say, and to back it up if necessary. In the end, it made you a better person. Guess that aspect of SRK is lost forever. - Mr Punkus '06
    Muskau wrote:
    Go to Training Mode, set Yun to jump in the corner, have Necro do Slam Dance(SA2) timed to catch Yun as he lands from his jump, easy eh? Now hit Yun with JP Spin fist, reset with jab, and try to catch Yun with the Slam Dance the same way, with Yun still set to jump. I haven't been able to catch Yun with Slam Dance this way, and I've tried all different types of timings. Anyone can explain this?
    The recovery from falling isn't active in a reset.
  • GaijinblazeGaijinblaze fingerlicans Joined: Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Muskau wrote:
    This was my take on it in an Alex thread after someone asked if you could reset->hyperbomb:
    If you're asking if that's inescapable, no it's not. You can't grab people out of prejump frames, and although landing from a normal jump yields some vulnerability, landing after a reset doesn't.
    I assume that holding up after being reset makes you immune from all grabs, including gigas. Anyone ever tried it with gigas specifically? Although Jinrai said that point blank demon beats a jump, I guess if you didn't press up before it hit, you therefore weren't in prejump when you were grabbed by it. Same goes for gigas; because it comes out so fast, if you're not already in prejump when it starts, you're getting grabbed.
    This message will self-destruct.
  • UltraDavidUltraDavid commenta..ttorney?? Joined: Posts: 6,053
    If you hold up after being reset, you aren't vulnerable to throws because immediately upon waking you enter your prejump frames; it's like waking up regularly, where if you hold up while waking you can't be thrown. The reason you can be grabbed upon landing from a jump is that you CAN be thrown during your postjump frames and while being on the ground, so when you do an antiair slam dance or gigas or c&db on someone who's still holding up to jump again, you aren't throwing them during their prejump frames but rather during their postjump frames.
    Your legal insider in entertainment and video games!
    www.dpgatlaw.com
    www.twitter.com/UltraDavid
    www.facebook.com/UltraDavidFB
    On a similar subject; If I'm standing and my opponents jumps in with an attack, I block it and try to throw. Assuming I'm throwing as soon as possible, should they be able to jump out of the throw, or would they be forced to tech. it?

The only frame data I have does not list blocked advantage for jumpins at all :(
  • Yuk_FaiYuk_Fai Unregistered User Joined: Posts: 246
    It's because it's context sensitive... for example, Dudley's j.RH can hit you really shallowly (on the top of your head), or deeply (on the knees). The block stun lasts the same amount, but the Dudley takes more time to land if you hit higher up. If he hits you deeply, then you probly won't be able to grab them before they can do something else.

In addition, some jump-ins might push you too far back for you to grab them. In which case, you'll whiff the throw and be left open.

What I'm trying to say is... jump in attacks can lead to different situations, depending on lots of factors. If you're blocking a jump in, watch for tick throws and block for the most part. If you know they like to do certain attack strings, look for vulnerable spots in it and reversal them (eg. you block c.lk c.lk; reversal w/ mp or hp srk before the c.mk comes out).
  • blk_brothablk_brotha Veteran Gamer of FGs and RPGs Joined: Posts: 936
    what is the trick to red parrying?
    I make moves like chess... CHECKMATE!
    ^ There's no trick, just parry the next attack after blocking something. If you were in blockstun (and performed the parry correctly), voila! Red Parry.

"Red parry windows for all moves: 3 for normal moves, 2 for specials/supers."