[HvH] Deck Building Thread.

SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭
Remember the rules for building a deck in Heroes & Heralds. Your first card is your primary card - you will receive only the primary effect of that card. The other two cards are secondary, and you will only receive the secondary effects of those cards. You may use multiple copies of the same card (well, someone in the preview did).

Some effects will have a [Lv1] next to them. This not only indicates that there are [Lv2], [Lv3], and [LvMAX] versions of the same effect on other cards, but that it is possible to combine those effects to add together their levels (LvMAX is equivalent to 4, so you can get it with 3+1, 2+1+1, or 2+2.).

I've started to list down some card effects and their strengths at Lv1/2/3/MAX on page two. Keep in mind that this thread is a work in progress (mainly because the last 10% of the cards refuse to get in my collection). What you see here today might not be here tomorrow....

The recent post listing every H&H card is great, but it lacks order - cards are listed by Capcom/Marvel and then seemingly by what game/comic that character is from. It's a mess if you're trying to find cards of a similar purpose or figure out what cards might have synergy. So...

List of cards, organized by effects:
Spoiler:
Post edited by Preppy on

Comments

• SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭
    Spoiler:
    List of cards with specific activation requirements:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Lists aside, it's time to discuss actual deck building. Though it's a little too early to tell what's popular and what people are going to be running, looking over the list shows a couple of cards that seem very noteworthy and very likely to be popular in online play... Most of the cards with unique effects are definitely going to see play.

My observations of online play thus far:

Fin Fang Foom and Mandarin are very popular online. And not only when paired together as well, they're both powerful cards in their own right and are still just as threatening even without the other.
    Gradual healing, while extremely annoying offline where the AI blocks everything you throw at it, does not seem to be as popular.
    Luke Cage Primary is another example of something that's effective offline but hasn't been popular online. Perhaps it's because people have learned its flaws through offline (just lame it out and win via timeout) or perhaps because Luke Cage is a real gamble (if the opponent has Spencer or Nova or anyone with a hard hitting low-hit-count super he can just combo into Bionic Arm and it's gg)
    I notice a lot of people using Chip Damage on All Attacks, though this may just be because it comes on Cyclops...
    Fou-Lu is very strong and a solid alternative to Fin Fang Foom.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

If anyone has any feedback, corrections, information, things I can do to make this easier to read or more useful to you, etc., lemme know

if you wanna be a jerk and call me a homo go ahead i find it amusing!
  • chirpchirp Joined: Posts: 3,169
    good thread u homo.

Are there any other cards that have 'all attacks do chip'? Also do cards stack? Like could I pick 3 attack up cards, or would it just use the highest level 1 and leave with me 2 useless cards
    No way to know without asking that guy at Machinima who got it early, but card stacking is basically going to be the second thing I test.

He was able to use three Anakaris cards and stack the jump increase effects, so I'd assume you can stack attack and meter and other effects as well.

Ah, yeah, I think Cyc's "all attacks do chip" is unique, gonna add him to the unique section.

Theoretically attack boosts should increase chip damage as well, which is probably why there aren't any mods to increase chip damage.
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Joined: Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Some of the cards are activated on taunt. Should that be a separate catagory?
    [quote="just5moreminutes;8594904"][b]"By the end of 2014, the Marvel community will be dead. People will still play it in casuals, since the game has that factor to it, but the release of newer, shiner, readily available anime fighters will rip the spotlight off Marvel entirely."[/b][/quote]
  • catbondcatbond The Wassailer Supreme Joined: Posts: 669
    Great posts. If ToR doesn't have me by the nuts I'll try to power through campaign, get lots of cards, then figure out stuff.

I too would like to know WTF Lady's card means. If we interpret the description really loosely it could mean better range for command grabs...?
    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

UMvC3: Haggar-α/Ryu-γ/Hulk-α, Frank-α/Haggar-α/Ghost Rider-α
    MvC3: Haggar-α/Deadpool-α/Amaterasu-β, Wolverine-γ/Doom-γ/Akuma-β
    SSFIV:AE: Dan, Dhalsim, Balrog
    BB:CS: Litchi, Ragna
    Great posts. If ToR doesn't have me by the nuts I'll try to power through campaign, get lots of cards, then figure out stuff.

I too would like to know WTF Lady's card means. If we interpret the description really loosely it could mean better range for command grabs...?

Due to the way it was worded, it almost seems like the hitbox stays active longer. Either choice might affect the animation, making this even more confusing.
    [quote="just5moreminutes;8594904"][b]"By the end of 2014, the Marvel community will be dead. People will still play it in casuals, since the game has that factor to it, but the release of newer, shiner, readily available anime fighters will rip the spotlight off Marvel entirely."[/b][/quote]
  • TheautophobiaTheautophobia psn: Windsurferash2 Joined: Posts: 5,607
    Due to the way it was worded, it almost seems like the hitbox stays active longer. Either choice might affect the animation, making this even more confusing.
    maybe it akin to the twins in AE where the animation for the palms were done but you still got the added bonus of being hit by them.
    [SIZE=14px]╔══════════════ღ☃ღ══════════════╗[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14px]~ ~ I am a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14px]~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14px]╚══════════════ღ☃ღ══════════════╝[/SIZE]
    I'm going to guess based on Lady's game of origin that it means things like Spencer's just frame and Dante's just frame become more lenient on the timing. But Mephisto also has the ability.... (will be interesting to see if their abilities stack)

@just5, yeah, this is still a WIP and I missed taunt activated effects on my double-checks (among other things which are still being added). Gonna add it right after this post.
  • CapcomCapcom Leave it out, We don't need it! Joined: Posts: 344
    Is there a reason not to run Serpent and Mystique in the same deck? (As a counter pick deck of course.)
    Capcom sees and hears all of your complaints. Our response? Nut up or Shut up.

The crazy meth addict in me seems to be attractive to the community: Honzogonzo.

Take a gander at mah nice MM-X fakeset for UMvC3 sometime.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-official.141615/page-452#post-6007622

MvC3 Teams:
    Zero, Spencer, Taskmaster/Strange.
    Nova/Frank/Strange.
    ?/Vergil/?
    Soul Calibur: Cervantes, Zasalamel, Talim, Nightmare, Yoshimitsu, Amy.
    BBCS: Hakumen.
    Bloody Roar: Stun, Shenlong, Xion, Koryu.
    Serpent's counter effect and Mystique's copy effect are both Primary, so you can't have both.

I don't think you're able to change which card in a deck is Primary on the fly.
  • El_MaizEl_Maiz You can never tell with that guy Joined: Posts: 3,023
  • AceKillahAceKillah EXS of Greed Joined: Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭
    So what is "Auto-Guard"?
    IIRC it is the same mechanic as in SF4 where once your opponent starts a blockstring on you, the game locks you in as blocking. So you don't have to hold back anymore to be registered as blocking It's basically why you can mash DP in SF4.
    Took the litmus paper test, said I'm based.
  • El_MaizEl_Maiz You can never tell with that guy Joined: Posts: 3,023
    IIRC it is the same mechanic as in SF4 where once your opponent starts a blockstring on you, the game locks you in as blocking. So you don't have to hold back anymore to be registered as blocking It's basically why you can mash DP in SF4.

I could have sworn that the game already did that.

Maybe it'll auto block High/low for you.
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef STEEL THY BUTT! Joined: Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it'll auto block High/low for you.
    Spoiler:
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    I believe it will just block the correct direction and high/low for you, as long as you aren't pressing anything at the time. I hope it costs meter or something though, cause that shit is dumb.
  • D4GamersD4Gamers Just Like Cap! Joined: Posts: 268
    I believe it will just block the correct direction and high/low for you, as long as you aren't pressing anything at the time. I hope it costs meter or something though, cause that shit is dumb.

lol you do realize were playing Hero's and Heralds don't you?

Also the game already keeps you in block stun if your opponent already has you in block string so it must block high low and left and right. With that said I agree with chirp that shit is dumb even for a mode like this.
    -Vanilla MvC3: Main:Zero/ Viper/ Taskmaster I Alt: Skrull/ Wesker/ Sentinel
    -Ultimate MvC3:Main: Spencer/ Hulk/ Doom I Alt: Doom/ Akuma/ Strider
    - Currently learning: Ironfist, Dante, Frank West

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    Keep in mind that a primary-slot Servbot card is going to cause you to take additional chip damage Lv. 2. Chip damage is already set at 25%. I wouldn't be surprised if Lv. 1 was 50% and Lv. 2 was 75%-100%. Also you're giving up your primary card slot where you could be receiving a MUCH bigger boost and the card won't help you if you're pushing buttons anyways.

I'm not gonna sweat it. If you see someone main-slotting a Servbot card just swap your best zoner/chipper in on point.
    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

I'm going to guess based on Lady's game of origin that it means things like Spencer's just frame and Dante's just frame become more lenient on the timing. But Mephisto also has the ability.... (will be interesting to see if their abilities stack)
    That's fucking brilliantly reasoned. I am slightly annoyed that I did not think of that myself.

• D4GamersD4Gamers Just Like Cap! Joined: Posts: 268
    Keep in mind that a primary-slot Servbot card is going to cause you to take additional chip damage Lv. 2. Chip damage is already set at 25%. I wouldn't be surprised if Lv. 1 was 50% and Lv. 2 was 75%-100%. Also you're giving up your primary card slot where you could be receiving a MUCH bigger boost and the card won't help you if you're pushing buttons anyways.

I'm not gonna sweat it. If you see someone main-slotting a Servbot card just swap your best zoner/chipper in on point.

Smart.

Also does anyone know how much meter is actually needed for the cards that can only be used at the cost of meter? I hope it's not like 1/2 a bar or anything extreme.
    -Vanilla MvC3: Main:Zero/ Viper/ Taskmaster I Alt: Skrull/ Wesker/ Sentinel
    -Ultimate MvC3:Main: Spencer/ Hulk/ Doom I Alt: Doom/ Akuma/ Strider
    - Currently learning: Ironfist, Dante, Frank West

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • NyoronoruNyoronoru Vocaloid DLC Joined: Posts: 1,647
    I'm interesting in seeing what the best Phoenix build-set is.

Right now I am thinking Mephisto/Wasp/Von Karma.
    Life is too short to waste not trying your best!
    I'm interesting in seeing what the best Phoenix build-set is.

Right now I am thinking Mephisto/Wasp/Von Karma.
    Could be a double-edged sword. If you don't turn Dark before 30 seconds remaining then you're toast since the mere act of hitting you is going to drain your meter.

EDIT: How about Fou-Lu/Miles Edgeworth/Edward Fokker
    You get X-Factor 3 times, each time you X-Factor you gain instant HC Gauge Lv. 2 (which I'm assuming just means +2 bars), and while X-Factor is active you're constantly regenerating HC Gauge Lv. 2. It would be impossible to NOT go Dark with this set-up.

Joe/Arthur/Akuma with Akira/Dazzler/Raptor
    Team "This is how you taunt."
    What happens when you get hit with a 30-hit combo with Howard the Duck as a primary and Fin Fang Foom on secondary? Divide by Zero?
    I want to say that the logical answer is that FFF would override Howard's ability, but I secretly hope that Howard will still trigger XF which then instantly ends if you have <3 meters due to FFF.

I'm more worried about Luke Cage primaries than I am of Servbot primaries. Partially because my team is competent at chipping, but mainly because Luke Cage is a much more solid Primary overall, and the only requirement for his auto-guard is that you have 2+ meters (I don't know if any of the meter breaking cards will activate on block.)
    That's fucking brilliantly reasoned. I am slightly annoyed that I did not think of that myself.

Well I do have the advantage of retyping and reorganizing the entire list of cards, after a while it was obvious that "oh cool, these abilities are pretty faithful to what that character actually does in their original game" lol.
    Tested Ulik. His Attack Up [Lv1] increases damage by 10% and his Attack Up [Lv2] increases damage by 20%. Attack Up while in the Air [Lv1] of Green Goblin appears to also be 10%.

Effects that occur every X seconds cannot be tested in Training Mode as they require the timer to actually tick down.

Iceman's chip damage reduction [Lv2] reduces chip damage taken by 50%.

Starting with more meter [Lv2] results in +2 meters at start, as expected. [Lv3] gives +3 meter.

That's all I can do so far with my starting 5 cards, but things are looking good. Saves me a lot of trouble if every Attack Up does indeed follow the same 10% and 20%.

Multiple Man is thankfully not as OP as I thought he'd be, you still start with XF1 and have to die to get XF2/XF3.
  • tenyardmiketenyardmike Raised by Woofs Joined: Posts: 1,072
    currently running

Rathian - 10 hits = poison/+attack
    Ryu - +attack in x-factor
    Destroyer- +increase attack/parry
  • xDishxDish Joined: Posts: 2
    This is funny to me, but using Keijin No Soki (PRI) and Ryu (SEC) makes most level 3's kill any character out right. Specifically Penance Stare. I couple this with Mandarin (SEC) to start with 3 hyper meters. Oh, and I have super armor.

I love this mode.
    Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3:
    Ghost Rider / Doctor Doom / Dormammu
    Vergil / Ghost Rider / Doctor Doom
    Xbox Live: d1shwasha
  • JuniorMintsJuniorMints Gravity Squeeze! Joined: Posts: 280
    This mode is actually a lot of fun. Currently obtaining cards offline right now.
    SSF4: Juri
    3S: Makoto/Chun Li/Ken
    SFxT: Ken x Juri
    UMvC3: Wesker, Magneto, Doom |Team BAMF|
  • masonmason Joined: Posts: 673 ✭✭✭
    I've just played against a computer team where their last character wouldn't die no matter how much I hurt them. I had to win by timeout. Does anyone know what combination that might have been?
    Laughter 7: Well, this is strange. At the GodsGarden that just went down, Momochi picked Dhalsim (beat Daigo 10-8 too!). Is this mofo ever coming back to Gouki?!
  • GRAH GRAAHH!GRAH GRAAHH! Joined: Posts: 477
    You can see the computers cards before the round lol..

The final stage on bonus Asgard would have been a bitch but I already have the Enchantress and Nick fury cards that give +Damage/-regain damage inflicted on non-female characters.

Also, I'm calling it now

SERVBOT CARD IS TOP TIER
    Shortens cooldown between calling assists. MvC2 speed. Godlike rushdown.

Frank West assist + Servbot SECONDARY function = GOD DAMN
    Nick Fury Primary might've been what you came up against, when your health is reduced to 1~5%, you get healed to like 15% of your health.

What you gotta do is get them down to like 6% and then hit them with one big attack that one shots them. Multi-hit attacks (like supers) won't work.
  • nitrocannitrocan Joined: Posts: 71
    I wonder if there's any way to get 3 Dark Phoenixes using the cards.
    You can do a team of 3 phoenix, but you're not getting 15 meters in one match so forget about it.

You need the resurrection card, so after your final character dies, you get them all over again. I wonder if Dark phoenix died with 5 bars does she come back as regular phoenix essentially having character/character/phoenix/dark phoenix/phoenix/dark phoenix

Equip that bitch with an increase super meter card and blow it up.
    Well, apparently any of the cards that grant parry and give meter when you parry give you an entire meter per parry, so getting 15 meters isn't really impossible.

Good luck parrying 14 things online though, lol.
    You're better off with a meter gain card, you're trying to troll with Phoenix until you get 5 bars, twice essntially, but you need 5 for the resurrection.

EDIT: actually you only need 3 if you have it as a primary card. None the less, I wouldnt parry with phoenix..

DOUBLE EDIT: Equip phoenix with a negate chip damage card + nick fury increase HP

lol..this is fun
  • CarparkCarpark DIE JOB DEATH CAR? Joined: Posts: 835
    How much health do you get with "increase vitality" cards per level? I'm at work and wouldn't be able to play HvH for at least 4 hours. :crybaby:
    I used to be a Street Fighter like you...then I took a Spiral Arrow in the knee.
  • PoltergustPoltergust Joined: Posts: 845
    I just fought a CPU Joe anchor with a Steven Chapman/Luke Cage/Nick Fury (primary) deck.

You. Just. Can't. Kill. Him. I comboed him so many times, but his health always regenerated every single time his health dropped below 5%. His increased vitality and constant super-armor certainly didn't help with my frustration lol.
    Brawl/UMvC3 player here. Yup...
    Some of the battles are just ridiculous, AI is blocking the most insane mixups and with the insane cards it has, it's really annoying.
    Oh Capcom, thank you for making the final battle of the top stage so hard.
  • RyoseRyose Joined: Posts: 442
    Oh Capcom, thank you for making the final battle of the top stage so hard.

It. Parried. Everything.
    Marvel Hiatus until 12:00 am, Nov. 15th
    My Squad vs. Your Squad
    PSN: Shishio_Alucard (Marvel, Tekken, e.t.c)
    XBL: MyNameIsSparda (Gears 3...to be continued)
    "Best Dante I've played. What stick do you use?"
    "...Dual Shock 3 sixaxis?"
  • masonmason Joined: Posts: 673 ✭✭✭
    My Phoenix team is Hunk (Primary)/Multiple Man/Ultron. Seems to be pretty good right now, but you gotta actually know how to play phoenix. She's kinda one of my main characters so it's fun just constantly rushing down with her and then getting DPh when she gets hit. You can parry while being comboed so you don't die and if they ever try and chip with a projectile it's a free bar for each hit you parry.

Also you can use invincible supers (demon works well) while parrying things like doom's plasma beam.
    Laughter 7: Well, this is strange. At the GodsGarden that just went down, Momochi picked Dhalsim (beat Daigo 10-8 too!). Is this mofo ever coming back to Gouki?!
    I must've gotten really lucky, cause I just breezed through offline campaign, 100% on all the stages. I got a loooot of duplicate cards so I'm guessing to get the really good ones you'll have to play online unfortunately.
    Started off with my regular team of Dante/Morrigan/Doom with Mephisto, Daredevil, and Nina. Activate Devil Trigger, go into flight mode, Thunderbolt nonfuckingstop lmao. I'm gonna have to play around more with cancelling specials into specials cause I was doing some stupid shit with Dante, mostly on accident.
    I found a semi-infinite with Frank West (as long as you have meter) doing 263B > 236A >263B etc. Got it to work in lvl 3 and above, timing was really difficult in lvl 2.

I also ran a slightly less cheap team of IronMan/Sentinel/Dorm with Kenji, Cyclops and Cyber Blue (I think in that order.) Iron Man with a double jump and a faster dash/airdash makes actually makes him good. He feels like how he should've been in this game in the first place. Chip on normals is pretty lol with both Iron Man and Sentinel.
  • WydeWyde Joined: Posts: 206
    I managed to clear all the bonus levels largely thanks to two card: Mandarin (Primary) and Silver Surfer (Secondary). Mandarin pretty much lets you turn off X-Factor for the majority of the match (but not before allowing myself to activate it in advantageous situations), and Silver Surfer is amazing, cosidering how frequently I switch characters for red health recovery. I'm experimenting with other third card slots, but those two will very likely be mainstays against the AI.
    I'm only good at Soulcalibur V. =[
    The early translation of Mystique's primary effect was wrong. It stated that "if the opponent's primary card is the same rank as this one (B), you copy your opponent's entire deck".

The actual effect is "Copies the effect of the card in the same slot in your opponent's deck." This sounds neat, but Mystique still has to be primary so you may end up copying a secondary card. :(

Gene's Primary effect only takes away about .75 meters from the enemy on a snap and not 3. :( It also does nothing if you snap their last character.
  • RyoseRyose Joined: Posts: 442
    H&H is busted. Something wrong with the hit stun and causes people to tech in th emiddle of combos that should work. Also the X card gives you a double jump AND air dash in one jump. You could trade the double jump for a second aird dash. DT Vergil has a triple air dash...lol this mode is silly
    Marvel Hiatus until 12:00 am, Nov. 15th
    My Squad vs. Your Squad
    PSN: Shishio_Alucard (Marvel, Tekken, e.t.c)
    XBL: MyNameIsSparda (Gears 3...to be continued)
    "Best Dante I've played. What stick do you use?"
    "...Dual Shock 3 sixaxis?"
    I posted this thread on twitter I hope you don't mind because it is just brilliant!
  • FelinoterFelinoter (´~`) Joined: Posts: 617
    What is with the Ms Marvel card? I do not understand what it does exactly... but I got that Servbot card and it is GDLK
  • AlegrettoAlegretto The King of Breakfast. Joined: Posts: 503
    Sakuya + Nina + Silver Surfer = "Dark Phoenix RISES!"
    UMvC3: Nova - X-23 - Dr. Doom, Nova - Spencer - Dr. Doom
    Skullgirls: Peacock - Ms. Fortune
    MBAA: C-Ryougi/H-Loa
    SFxT: (1st spot): Vega/Juri - (2nd spot): Lili/Xiaoyu