The Chess Thread

Comments

• BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,464
    Aight, back on a normal fucking keyboard....

For white openings, does anyone use the London System?

I whoop so much ass, and it's seriously the most theoryless thing I've found thus far......

Strong center, good bishops, and knight flexibility...... only weakness I see in it is that stuff goes to hell if your pawn structure gets broken up....

d4, e3, c3, black bishop on f4, knight on d2(flexible knight movement), and white bishop on d3(in the middle of the pawn structure)..... it's pretty gdlk...

Strong defense and offense.... you don't even have to castle until late in the game because that center is so hard to break up... however losing that black bishop will hurt....

I'm so glad that the King's Indian Defence is useable, but from the sound of it, I'm not really learning much from using it.....

I really like the opening but it seems like yall are leaning more towards the Tarrasch opening....

Man, everytime I try it, the ass just keeps getting whooped....
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,148
    Cool! A chess thread! Here is my chess thread on the MK forum.

Chess will always be the first "fighting game". The top player in the world right now is Magnus Carlsen.
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787
    The top player in the world right now is Magnus Carlsen.

oh! here are a some cool things I remember reading in an FGD thread from two years ago
    So, I read this short article about Magnus Carlsen, who besides having a pretty badass name, is also one of the youngest grandmasters of chess ever. That article, and the article it's based on, are also about Magnus' chess intuition, where he's gotten to such a high level in chess skill that he works off of a feel of the pieces as often as working deliberately off of conscious reasoning.
    Magnus Carlsen is a super-hero in Norway. He is currently ranked as #1 in the world with 2813,8. That's completely insane, given his young age.
    Garry Kasparov has said that there are at most only five people in the world who can play super-GM level chess using intuition, by "feeling" where the pieces need to go. For most improving players, in chess, practicing tactics is not enough--learning positional concepts and how to play practical endgames is necessary;
    Carlsen's current personal chess teacher has said that the experience he could get with a computer program increased his skill at the game in dramatically faster times than traditional training would have.
    The article basically based on what Carlsen said himself. He said he uses intuition fairly often, not in exclusion to his conscious thought, but in addition to.

i hardly know anything about chess but it sounds like he has had a pretty unorthodox approach to the game
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,165 mod
    Yo what's up with female chess players being so damn hot?

"my position was passive but solid" I damn bet it was.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • BeaTs*BeaTs* ∞ Consciousness Joined: Posts: 6,518
    I'm pretty sure we had one of these already.

I used to play a lot and study from a younger age (compared to the kids around me ). started heavier studying/playing/tournaments in freshman year of HS and was the best in my class (and arguably up to the Senior class) but I haven't touched a piece in about 10 years : / I would love to go to huge tournaments again with all the games happening everywhere. It was pretty intense and was a taste of what was to come when I moved on to fighting games and went to FG majors.

I don't know if I want to put all that time in again, but I'll definitely try to start playing again in 2012 (New Years Resolution!). Difference is I didn't do a lot of online playing 10 years ago so maybe it won't be so bad. it'll be interesting because I guess a lot of games of top players are easily accessible now too. plus a billion other chess related things on the internet. With all the discussion in here there seems to be even more to look into. I feel overwhelmed already

I am also curious on the answer to Warrior's Dreams' question.
    Love and Light Arcana, Awakening comes in Flower Multilayers
    Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Arcana Heart 3 matches and combos: youtube.com/juanniG
    Yo what's up with female chess players being so damn hot?

"my position was passive but solid" I damn bet it was.

In that video above I noticed that Carlsen has earplugs and listens to "nothing" kinda like Daigo...

Check this

and below:

alexandra-kosteniuk_980881c.jpg
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188
    Wouldn't mind taking that Queen off the board.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
  • EvilSamuraiEvilSamurai Joined: Posts: 2,668
    She's not that hot. She is kinda eh irl and is married to like some old Cuban guy who is 30 years older than her. Chess tournaments are not good places to meet women.
  • SlayerofBodomSlayerofBodom Joined: Posts: 1,093
    Aight, back on a normal fucking keyboard....

For white openings, does anyone use the London System?

I whoop so much ass, and it's seriously the most theoryless thing I've found thus far......

HAHA. The London System was my main go-to opening for a huge part of my chess career.

I've logged dozens upon dozens of tournament games and victories with it. I still use it on occasion. It was taught to me by one of my chess coaches, an old Moscow player who had gotten a "candidate master" designation back in the late 60s; not an easy thing back then!

Anyways, it's not a very good choice once you reach 1800+ or so, but until that point, it's plenty potent.
    BullDancer wrote:
    d4, e3, c3, black bishop on f4, knight on d2(flexible knight movement), and white bishop on d3(in the middle of the pawn structure)..... it's pretty gdlk...

Strong defense and offense.... you don't even have to castle until late in the game because that center is so hard to break up... however losing that black bishop will hurt....

The main thing is to get your f3 knight to e5.
    She's not that hot. She is kinda eh irl and is married to like some old Cuban guy who is 30 years older than her. Chess tournaments are not good places to meet women.

Yeah, EvilSamurai speaks the truth. Not only is she married to some old guy, but she's not particularly attractive in real life. Just because she looks good in a professionally done photograph means nothing.

In addition to that, she's a weak player even by female standards. Yeah, because of FIDE's fucking retarded "Knockout Championship" format, she's technically a "former world champion", but she's rated a mere 2430, and 44th on the female rating list last I looked.

Frankly, even that modest rating might be overinflated; I watched her play at the recent Women's Team Championship, and she was fucking awful, with a performance rating of 2319, and play that reminded me of a weak national master (2200 strength) more than anything else.
    ^ Alright, good.....

At least it's an opening I can work with..... not seeing that 1800 rating anytime soon.....

Does anyone play on FICS?

Looking for a good place to play some human opponents.... well until I can get back into irl play..... I'm on vacation nigga:smokin:

Also, how many people play against this(free) A.I to learn openings and different lines?

It's an excellent program, as it actually teaches you as it whoops your ass...... it also calculates piece advantage/disadvantage..... I'm sure you upper level folks that can take advantage of someone being down half a pawn would even find this helpful...... unless yall already were using something different.....

EDIT: In retrospect, that Russian bitch's face does look kinda like it got smashed in........... with a sledgehammer.....
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
  • KINGKING あなたの母親の膣 Joined: Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    nigga you gay.

intelligence + hotness = FINE! :D
    "I will be kind enough to give you the hint regarding KOF though: read Iori Yagami's family name in reverse." -- Black Shroud
    ^ Alright, good.....

At least it's an opening I can work with..... not seeing that 1800 rating anytime soon.....

Also note that you can play the London System as a solid drawing weapon that gives Black a slight edge but makes your position very hard to crack, or as a wild, aggressive, attacking set-up. If you do the latter, after moving play Ne5 at some point, you might want to play g4, h4, or possibly both.
    BullDancer wrote:
    Does anyone play on FICS?

I used to. I play on Chess.com nowadays.
    nigga you gay.

This wasn't directed at me, but if you claim to like Kosteniuk's appearance, realize this is what you're arguing for;

wch290.jpg

Not bad by any means, but beautiful?! Get out of here.

Besides, on the basis of intelligence, Kosteniuk is a million times worse than someone like Humpy Koneru;

Koneru_Humpy_300.jpg
    Wow, Chess.com is the fucking truth.....

Playing it online just feels so..... right.....

No temporary lag when you move a piece.....

So far my rank is 1093..... 2 wins, 2 losses....

So I guess my assessment of my ranking was accurate*shrugs*.....

I blundered my Queen away when I had the upper hand in both of those losses... I guess I get nervous against higher ranked players(both were 1200's).....

That bishop sacrifice on a castled King is the truth......

Does that work on better opponents? Or is the loss of material not worth it as you play better opponents?
    nigga you gay.

You don't really have to be smart to be good at chess..... imo most of it is memorization... if anything showed me that, it's Fischer Random Chess........

I was lost when I first tried playing it...
  • EvilSamuraiEvilSamurai Joined: Posts: 2,668
    I only play on the Internet Chess Club (ICC). Playchess is free with most Chessbase products but it sucks for everything but games against engines and bullet.

All the games in Reggio Emilia were straight up bone today.
    Anyone else believe that chess is like a fighting game? Also, how would you compare chess to Magic The Gathering, poker, and mini baccarat?
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,165 mod
    Anyone else believe that chess is like a fighting game? Also, how would you compare chess to Magic The Gathering, poker, and mini baccarat?

You don't compare them. You accept that they have concepts that relate to each other and appreciate the fact that they all involve different skill sets.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    Anyone else believe that chess is like a fighting game?

Nah.

There are no glitches, infinites, combos, or comeback mechanics.

Checkers has combos though; I just don't know how to do them.
    Nah.

There absolutely ARE combos in chess. It's funny you know that checkers have combos (although they're extremely simple ones), but not chess.

But anyways, I would agree that fighting games and chess are dissimilar. The main reason being that chess has no execution requirements, whereas that's of such vital importance in any fighter.
    There absolutely ARE combos in chess. It's funny you know that checkers have combos (although they're extremely simple ones), but not chess.

Enlighten me.
    Enlighten me.

Are you serious? I didn't want to call you out on your stupidity too much in my original post, but this is ridiculous. There have been thousands of books written about only combinations/tactics in chess. Little kids who have just learned the moves a few weeks ago know elementary chess combinations like the "fork" or "pin".

Why don't you enlighten yourself?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_%28chess%29

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGdXRCyw1P828AIkxXNyoA?p=combinations%20chess&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-701
    Are you serious? I didn't want to call you out on your stupidity too much in my original post, but this is ridiculous. There have been thousands of books written about only combinations/tactics in chess. Little kids who have just learned the moves a few weeks ago know elementary chess combinations like the "fork" or "pin".

Why don't you enlighten yourself?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_(chess)

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGdXRCyw1P828AIkxXNyoA?p=combinations chess&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-701

??? Whoa man, chill out. My original post was meant to be a FG-related joke, and my response to you wasn't meant to discredit your vast knowledge of the game. I don't play competitive chess so I admit to not knowing about tactical chess terms. That's why I asked for enlightenment. The concept of chess combos is a bit different from FG combos: A series of moves that set up a situation where it's nearly impossible for the opposing player to get out of without taking a hit. I'd be more incline to call them "unblockable setups" when using FG terminology. Only thing I can think of that comes close to FG concept of combos is checkers when you use one piece to jump multiple pieces and remove them from the board on one turn (or hit-confirm, in FG terms).

Thanks for the links though. I'll read up on those elementary chess combos.
    ??? Whoa man, chill out. My original post was meant to be a FG-related joke, and my response to you wasn't meant to discredit your vast knowledge of the game.I don't play competitive chess so I admit to not knowing about tactical chess terms. That's why I asked for enlightenment.

Fair enough, heh. However, there is a glut of material on chess combos, and the stuff contained online, with multiple board diagrams, does a much better job illustrating combos than I can with mere words.
    M.D. wrote:
    The concept of chess combos is a bit different from FG combos: A series of moves that set up a situation where it's nearly impossible for the opposing player to get out of without taking a hit. I'd be more incline to call them "unblockable setups" when using FG terminology.

I think it's quite similar, though. In each case, the "combo" forces the opponent's reply, and leads to a huge, winning advantage in each variation.

Yeah, you can think of it as an unblockable set-up with certain chess combos, but in others, there is only one legal move the victim of the combo can play, which can be thought of as similar to the hit-stun animation for fighting games.
    M.D. wrote:
    Only thing I can think of that comes close to FG concept of combos is checkers when you use one piece to jump multiple pieces and remove them from the board on one turn (or hit-confirm, in FG terms).

Yeah, you can think of it that way. However, I think even here the analogy isn't perfect; in checkers, many instances of multiple captures lead to an easily winning position, while in FGs, there's always the perpetual comeback factor.
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Does this thread include discussion of David Sirlin's Chess 2?
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
    Does this thread include discussion of David Sirlin's Chess 2?

No. Briefly looking at it, it's one of worst chess variants I've ever seen. In fact, even calling it "chess" is inaccurate.

Among the different variants, "Seirawan Chess" is probably the most interesting I've seen.
  • fishjiefishjie no Joined: Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    wtf is a chess 2? i cannot find the rules online. do you have to pay for it?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/589440/you-have-to-buy-the-rules-to-a-chess-variant
    Nicky's methods of betting weren't scientific, but they worked. When he won, he collected. When he lost, he told the bookies to go fuck themselves. I mean, what were they going to do, muscle Nicky? Nicky was the muscle

But anyways, I would agree that fighting games and chess are dissimilar. The main reason being that chess has no execution requirements, whereas that's of such vital importance in any fighter.

Depends on the time controls. I believe that the en passant is a nerf for the people who complained about losing. You know en passant and castling have only been implemented recently when compared to how old chess is.
    Nah.

There are comebacks in chess. Also, there are "poisonous pawns" and so forth. I came up with Chess 2 in mid nineties for a high school logic class. I still have the original game board somewhere...
    There are comebacks in chess. Also, there are "poisonous pawns" and so forth. I came up with Chess 2 in mid nineties for a high school logic class. I still have the original game board somewhere...

Yea, I could see poisonous pawns being one example, though you'd have to set it up first, and it'd be hard if you're down a ton of pieces.

My attempt at making a FG related joke failed miserably in the context of Chess. Go ahead and disregard it if you haven't already.
  • EffenhoogEffenhoog fish are friends Joined: Posts: 1,516
    I used to be pretty good at what you might call reactive chess. Basically I just make sure everything is covered by everything else and wait for the opponent to make a mistake. I guess it would be kind of like turtling or perhaps more like playing a zoning game by threatening their pieces from a distance and waiting for them to make the wrong move. I know very little about popular chess strategies, I had a couple of my own opening setups to get things going but that was it. After the first 5 moves or so it was just bait and punish

It's a pretty shitty way to play chess but it was good enough to get me the #1 spot on my junior high chess team and I managed to win 75% of my league matches.

I also own this game and its broken as shit http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/Chess_4.jpg
    They call me Gamma Ray because I'm Forward Back Forward Back Down-Back Down Down-Forward Forward Hard Slash
    ^Closed games?

You're fucked if you lose a knight or try that shit when you pawn structure gets messed up early on.....
    Depends on the time controls. I believe that the en passant is a nerf for the people who complained about losing. You know en passant and castling have only been implemented recently when compared to how old chess is.

HAHA. Clever.

By the way, for anyone interested in world-class chess, the Wiijk An Zee has just finished round 3. They have the best interface for tournament games that I've seen, (including high-level analysis by chess program Houdini, rated 3160+) and the chess has been exciting, since it doesn't use either a faster time control or the fucking retarded Sofia scoring. Anyways, check it out;

http://www.tatasteelchess.com/tournament/livegames
    I still can't find the rule set for sirlin chess 2. i am dying of curiosity. all i am finding off google are hints about what it is. it sounds like he turned it into warhammer.

best chess variant i ever played is siamese chess. its a 2v2 multiplayer game, fast paced and fun. great for all levels of chess players, its more about intuition, reaction, teamwork (your buddy says he badly needs a knight so you sac a rook for it and he wins in a few turns), and fierce attacks. its not so much about intense calculation and knowledge of theory, which is why its suitable for any skill level. cause lets face it, to be really good at chess, you need to have spent years studying that shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bughouse_chess

other random musings. our best chess player in high school was a girl. usually girls are terrible at chess, or if they're good they're ugly, but she happened to be kinda cute and was legitimately good at the game. obviously all the guys would hit on her. and i didn't go to some scrub high school either. we took our shit so serious we had a varsity AND a junior varsity chess club. yasser seirawan, who went to high school here, took the team to get a second place finish in nationals (he blamed himself for not getting first). he was so boss, he demanded the team get letterman jackets, AND HE GOT THEM.

of course, i was class of 01, and our team wasn't anywhere near as good as when the future grandmaster was at the helm. but we would get second at state competitions. we'd only lose to fucking lakeside, a shitty private school whose kids were rich enough to afford ridiculously good coaches and teachers. i went to garfield, a public school in the ghetto. fuck those rich fuckers.

i was pretty terrible at chess, wasn't even good enough to be on the varsity team, only the junior varsity lol. I tried to study, I really did, but I would go HUH whenever i'd read chess life or a chess book, and it'd talk about things that to the author were completely obvious, but to me were not. they'd mark certain moves with "?" and others with "!", and it'd be because of subtle positional things that went completely over my head.

one book that i'd recommend to noobs is Jeremy Silman how to reassess your chess. he talks about the high level strategies and game plans, which i never had whenever i played chess. specifically, he talks about "imbalances", which are things like a knight vs a bishop or a pawn majority on your kingside vs a pawn majority on their queenside. so he teaches this simple system where you identify the imbalances in a position, and seek to make yours better. example. if you have a knight vs a bishop. generally speaking, knights are better in a closed position, and bishops are better when their pawns aren't on the same color. so you make moves to make your knight better. you can trade your knight off, but you do so to exchange it for a different advantage. IE, you trade your knight off for their bishop to cripple their pawn structure and end up in a won end-game position. i had never really played chess with a game plan or any real strategy prior to that book, and it helped my understanding. unfortunately, its not enough. you still really need to know opening theory, and you need to know endgame theory. when entire BOOKS are written on just the sicilian dragon, let alone rook/pawn endgames, you are pretty much fucked if you don't know that shit.

so obviously i am still terrible. i had a scholastic rating of 1100 i think. the one time i played at a real chess tournament, i lost all three of my games. but at least i got an annual subscription to chess life for joining the US chess federation.

the biggest similarity between chess and fighting games is that you can only get better through lots of practice, dedication and study playing against vastly superior opponents. chess is a little too stressful for me, because the games are hours long, whereas in a fighting you aren't as emotionally invested in a match. you lose in thirty seconds, who cares, play again. in chess, seeing your opponent pile up positional advantages is mentally devastating. i really like RTS because its a happy medium. games are half an hour long, and you get kind of emotionally invested, but its not so devastating.

PS the only comeback mechanic in chess is the clock. i could occasionally beat the better chess players on my team in blitz, because blitz is more intuition than knowledge/strategy. kind of like siamese chess. if your opponent has a better position than you, but sacrificed too much time to get there, well you MIGHT have a chance to win if you try to run their clock down. obviously in a tournament where games are hours long, that's not gonna happen.

you can hope they fuck up and make a blunder. at the high levels, its only going to be a small subtle blunder and youve got to be godlike enough to spot it.

"The winner of the game is the player who makes the next-to-last mistake. - Tartakover"
    Nicky's methods of betting weren't scientific, but they worked. When he won, he collected. When he lost, he told the bookies to go fuck themselves. I mean, what were they going to do, muscle Nicky? Nicky was the muscle
    HAHA. Clever.

By the way, for anyone interested in world-class chess, the Wiijk An Zee has just finished round 3. They have the best interface for tournament games that I've seen, (including high-level analysis by chess program Houdini, rated 3160+) and the chess has been exciting, since it doesn't use either a faster time control or the fucking retarded Sofia scoring. Anyways, check it out;

http://www.tatasteelchess.com/tournament/livegames

I'm trying to look for any kind of commentary, but not finding any.

without commentary, i can only vaguely understand what's going on. i see black is balls to the wall attacking white, and just sacced his rook, but i'm totally missing the combo?

EDIT:

referring to this game - Radjabov, Teimour vs GM Gelfand, Boris

1.d4 Nf6
    2.c4 g6
    3.Nc3 Bg7
    4.e4 d6
    5.Nf3 O-O
    6.Be2 e5
    7.Be3 Ng4
    8.Bg5 f6
    9.Bh4 g5
    10.Bg3 Nh6
    11.h3 exd4
    12.Nxd4 Nc6
    13.O-O Nxd4
    14.Qxd4 f5
    15.Qd5+ Kh8
    16.exf5 Nxf5
    17.Bh2 Bd7
    18.Bg4 Nd4
    19.Bxd7Qxd7
    20.Rad1 Rae8
    21.Nb5 Nxb5
    22.cxb5 g4
    23.h4 b6
    24.b3 Qf7
    25.Qb7 Re2
    26.Bg3 Be5
    27.Rc1 Qf5
    28.Qxc7 Bxg3
    29.fxg3 Rxg2+
    30.Kxg2 Qe4+

EDIT2:
    oh wait nm i see it, he forced a draw
    I'm trying to look for any kind of commentary, but not finding any.

without commentary, i can only vaguely understand what's going on. i see black is balls to the wall attacking white, and just sacced his rook, but i'm totally missing the combo?

Yeah, Radjabov was in a worse position, so he sacrificed a rook to get perpetual check and the draw. Oddly enough, after 29...Rxg2+, the computer engine suggests the insane-looking 30. Kh1! to preserve a small edge. Also, there is analysis right after every move from the chess engine, although it's not always easy to understand everything that it recommends! You can also click on the other games on the right sidebar. Really good interface.
    fishjie wrote:
    I still can't find the rule set for sirlin chess 2. i am dying of curiosity. all i am finding off google are hints about what it is. it sounds like he turned it into warhammer.

He goes through the rules on his forum.

Honestly, for all I know, it could be a terrific game...it just has nothing to do with Chess, and calling it "Chess" is just false advertising. Like, it uses a chess board (then again, so do checkers and many other games) and some of the original pieces, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the game of chess. I wouldn't even call it a chess variant, really.
    fishjie wrote:
    other random musings. our best chess player in high school was a girl. usually girls are terrible at chess, or if they're good they're ugly, but she happened to be kinda cute and was legitimately good at the game. obviously all the guys would hit on her. and i didn't go to some scrub high school either. we took our shit so serious we had a varsity AND a junior varsity chess club. yasser seirawan, who went to high school here, took the team to get a second place finish in nationals (he blamed himself for not getting first). he was so boss, he demanded the team get letterman jackets, AND HE GOT THEM.

That's pretty awesome. I first became a player of respectable strength thanks to GM Yasser Sierawan's "Winning Chess" series, especially "Play Winning Chess", "Winning Chess Tactics", and "Winning Chess Strategies".
    fishjie wrote:
    one book that i'd recommend to noobs is Jeremy Silman how to reassess your chess. he talks about the high level strategies and game plans,

Yeah, I'll second this. IM Silman is a terrific writer and I got a lot out of his books, especially the ones about the endgame. (There was one called "Essential Endgame Knowledge" just on king and pawn endings, which helped me out a bunch when I was younger)

I've heard a bunch of great things about "Re-Assess Your Chess", but never picked it up when I was younger, although being written by Silman, I'm sure it's of very high quality.
  • El Chupa NegroEl Chupa Negro WALKING PARADOX Joined: Posts: 3,426
    Who all wants to play chess
    Jeet Kune Do was all about using what worked and discarding the crap. Fei Long is crap... discard him. A real Jeet Kune Do man plays Dudley.-xS A M U R A Ix
    I know it's cool to talk down to checkers and all, but doesn't that too have an absurd amount of possible positions?

It's not an easy game, and checkers strategy is surprisingly complex(not chess complex though)......

Fred Reinfield even wrote a book on checkers strategy lol...
    I know it's cool to talk down to checkers and all, but doesn't that too have an absurd amount of possible positions?

It's not an easy game, and checkers strategy is surprisingly complex(not chess complex though)......

No, I definitely agree with you; checkers has quite a bit of strategy in it.

One of my cousins, who lives in Moscow, used to play checkers on a pretty high level. Had a coach and studied tactics books and everything.

We used to play both checkers and chess. In checkers, he would beat me like 7 out of 10 times. However, the remaining 3 out of 10 times, just from being able to calculate variations like I would in chess, I would get a draw.

In chess, I would beat him 10 out of 10 times. Hell, I would play him with rooks odds (he starts with an extra rook), and still beat him 10 out of 10 times.

Checkers is a fun game and has good strategy, but unfortunately, it's been completely solved by computers since the early 80s. (Back when chess computers sucked and would lose against a decent master)
  • Lazyjosh2Lazyjosh2 Joined: Posts: 1,071
    I like chess but can never win, this is the only chess game I like i saw this chess set back in the 90s chess4chessset.jpg
    You wish you were mario

The difference between chess and checkers is that checkers has been solved/conquered by a computer already similar to how tic-tac-toe has already been solved. Computers have not found a final solution for chess. So chess has not been conquered yet.
  • Monkey D. MalcolmMonkey D. Malcolm MvC2 FTW isnt it obv Joined: Posts: 993
    I used to play chess pretty heavily in HS. I preferred speed chess when I was younger. i don't play anymore though. I'm kinda glad I didn't take chess to serious though it's crazy. How much work you gotta put into it.
    MvC2: Spiral Cable Doom
    Brawl: Wario/Zelda
    SSFIV AE 2012: Juri
    TvC UAS: MegaMan/Yatterman#2
    Got some deep shit from a high level chess player...... I think it goes something like this.....

"Chess was designed with a draw in mind at the highest level of play, so it is not you that wins, it is your opponent that loses"

tl:dr

Your opponent does not cause you to to lose the game, you defeat yourself...... it would not be your opponent that won, you simply lost......

Let it sink in, I didn't get it at first......