The Chess Thread

Comments

• NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,368
    Smothered mate denied, boo =(
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,415
    My rook is locked down :'(
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    edited August 2016
    *Shakes hands with @Naeras tough game I totally thought I deserved to lose it. Idk if you have a way out of checkmate or queen trade.

I had a ton of fun despite making some awful mistakes. I'm pretty sure you and I will be salty when we analyze this game. But I learned alot thank you very much for the great game.

EDIT: Ran it through stockfish. It seems like it required 20 or so more perfect moves to not draw or lose. Apparently this endgame is difficult. I messed up earlier by not protecting my pawns on the right with a simple pawn push.

DOUBLE EDIT: The one move pawn push lost the game had you not done that you were completely winning with perfect play. And the win was done with one simple passed pawn.
    Post edited by BullDancer on
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    I instantly regretted not taking the bad exchange when I gave away my bishop for free. I'd likely win that endgame as well even if you were up a bishop. My pawns were too strong at that point.

I gave that one away. Bleh. Salty as fuck. ggs.
    Before we start are you trying to learn any particular opening? I'd be happy to play another King's Indian. @Naeras
    Nah, play whatever you like. =)
  • forte95forte95 Buster Cannoneer Joined: Posts: 544
    I have time for live chess! Just a game, I think. Is anyone down?
    I'm a physics enthusiast. Let's talk science.
    @forte95 I just missed your post.
    edited August 2016
    Dammit will you be available tomorrow at 9PM your time.

EDIT: Crunching through prepared lines in the French Defense helped in a rapid game. As long as you know the goals of the opening on black you don't need anything else. Basically all you need to know is: do anything to attack your opponents pawns in the center and to always remember the c5 pawn break for the advance variation. And keep the f6 pawn break in mind usually after you castle and you have a comfortable game.
  • FalkentyneFalkentyne Joined: Posts: 576
    Hmm...didn't ever see this thread until now. My last USCF rating was 2221, but my membership expired in 2012 and I was only playing random games on ICC until I find a club to join in Riverside, CA so I can play regularly again.
    The thread has been here for years but nobody has bothered posting. =V

I think I was at ~1650 at my "best". At least that was the rating of the people I went even-ish with, but I was never officially ranked. I won a beginners tournament in late 2014, which is probably my biggest claim to fame in the game.

Which reminds me: anyone up for a correspondence tournament for us SRK-folks? Should be reasonably simple to organize through chess.com.
    @forte95 You get my message on the Ruy Lopez game?
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, I just replied, thanks.

Also, thanks for the French Defense tips. Yeah, the early c5 pressure + my knights and my queen was something my dad taught me, I just never learned how to adapt to how you defended with your a-c file pawns haha. I'll take note of when to throw out the f6 break, thanks.

EDIT: Oh and yeah, I'll probably be free around that time.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,892
    It's not about openings. It's about who has more pieces indirectly and/or directly attacking your opponent's king. Always remember that check comes first during combinational attacks. Kinda like in Magic, the check is like an instant or triggered ability and resolves before anything else...
  • FalkentyneFalkentyne Joined: Posts: 576
    I'm on ICC as Falkentyne. Should I also register on chess.com or something?
    edited August 2016
    @Falkentyne Yeah because chess.com is a good website with a good app. We're no match for you though but always down for a game. Correspondence seems like the most common here. So far I have ongoing games with @Naeras and @forte95 so far. I think @SlayerofBodom rating was equal to yours at some point but I don't think he's super active in the chess community as life went on. Honestly I think the difference between UCSF and chess.com can be upward to 200 points. Somebody with the ranking you have online is usually an FM or IM. Sometimes a weak GM. Don't be surprised if you peak at 2000 imo.
    Game of the day: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1076198

As you can tell by now I really like Capablanca. This one here is great because at the end of the game, none of his opponent(s) pieces could move despite his opponent having some serious material. To have to just sit back and watch your opponent beat you has to be the worst feeling on earth. Losing like this would not sit well with me.

I'll probably pick Morphy for a chess game to look at tomorrow.
  • SlayerofBodomSlayerofBodom Joined: Posts: 1,093
    BullDancer wrote: »
    @Falkentyne Yeah because chess.com is a good website with a good app. We're no match for you though but always down for a game. Correspondence seems like the most common here. So far I have ongoing games with @Naeras and @forte95 so far. I think @SlayerofBodom rating was equal to yours at some point but I don't think he's super active in the chess community as life went on. Honestly I think the difference between UCSF and chess.com can be upward to 200 points. Somebody with the ranking you have online is usually an FM or IM. Sometimes a weak GM. Don't be surprised if you peak at 2000 imo.

My last USCF rating was about 2030, but that was achieved when I was 19. I'm at least marginally better now, at 29. When I play skittles, I'm on even or better terms against low 2200s.

Online ratings are tricky. My blitz rating on Chess.com is in the low 2100s. On the one hand, that's a lot higher than many FMs and at least a few IMs I've played against. On the other hand, there are NMs and fellow untitled players who are in the 2200s or even 2300s.

Ultimately though, even being a 2600+ Elo-rated GM isn't that impressive these days, as those guys can't even crack the world top 150. :)
    USCF has USCF online blitz and online rapid tournamnets on chess.com. All you have to do is be a current USCF member. You don't need the chess.com membership...
    edited August 2016
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    USCF has USCF online blitz and online rapid tournamnets on chess.com. All you have to do is be a current USCF member. You don't need the chess.com membership...

It's kind of hard to be part of the USCF for people who aren't from the US. =V

Plus, chess.com is free, and though it has paid membership deals, those are really cheap.
    @forte95 Got time for a live game?
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, just got on. How do we do this, are you my friend? lol

EDIT: Hmm I don't know how to challenge people that aren't my friend. Could you send me a challenge?
    edited August 2016

My last USCF rating was about 2030, but that was achieved when I was 19. I'm at least marginally better now, at 29. When I play skittles, I'm on even or better terms against low 2200s.

Online ratings are tricky. My blitz rating on Chess.com is in the low 2100s. On the one hand, that's a lot higher than many FMs and at least a few IMs I've played against. On the other hand, there are NMs and fellow untitled players who are in the 2200s or even 2300s.

Ultimately though, even being a 2600+ Elo-rated GM isn't that impressive these days, as those guys can't even crack the world top 150. :)

There are so many great players in the world now which means chess is thriving. At the same time it seems really sad to see great players not get the recognition they deserve for theoretical contributions because of a number.

A lot of newer people think that if you aren't a So,Nakamura or Carlsen, that you don't matter. When these players quite literally stand on the backs up giants. While they have played great games, as far as I'm concerned, their theoretical contributions have been nil.
    @BullDancer hey man I'm sorry, I got dc'd. Thanks for the games and the advice!
    Ah still online or about to tuck in @forte95 I got into a bad habit of playing the position and not the person lol. Too much study and not enough play isn't good.
    Just stayed to finish my last live battle lol. I can be online tomorrow afternoon to get some games in.
    Alright ggs man
    edited August 2016
    Actually there's this guy in Australia that plays in these. Anyone can be a USCF member...

You can be a free chess.com member as long as you have the USCF membership...
    edited August 2016

There are so many great players in the world now which means chess is thriving. At the same time it seems really sad to see great players not get the recognition they deserve for theoretical contributions because of a number.

A lot of newer people think that if you aren't a So,Nakamura or Carlsen, that you don't matter. When these players quite literally stand on the backs up giants. While they have played great games, as far as I'm concerned, their theoretical contributions have been nil.

It's the same in fighting games. If you aren't infiltration, sonic fox, Justin Wong, the you don't matter. Those people are also standing on backs of giants. Their contributions are also slim to none.
    I have time for a quick game @BullDancer you down?

Also anyone else want to play a correspondence game? It'll help me learn faster.
    Yep I'm here @forte95
    forte95 wrote: »

Also anyone else want to play a correspondence game? It'll help me learn faster.

Sure. What's your handle?
    Welp, missed your post @BullDancer. I think I can catch you again tomorrow.
    Naeras wrote: »
    forte95 wrote: »

Sure. What's your handle?

forte95, send me an invite, thanks!
    edited August 2016
    I want more correspondence games lol. They are fun and helpful.

Game of the Day: Kasparov vs Deep Blue. Nothing but pure chess being played in this one, but Garry Kasparov takes advantage of Deep Blue not being able to differentiate material from positional advantage with the brilliant exchange sacrifice of the rook and jamming passed pawns.

The human mind is an impressive thing considering that this thing can brute force through millions of positions but was unable to refute theory that humans have built for hundreds of years. I recently saw a chess engine beaten my a gm in a closed position it was wonderful.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1070912

EDIT: Also tomorrow, chess.com is having a super gm online tournament. It will be Grischuk vs Carlsen and MVL vs Nakumura. Place your bets!

DOUBLE EDIT: This happened in April, but as it turns out, Garry Kasparov is still probably top 10 in skill level. I was a drinker of the Magnus Carlsen koolaid when he drew against Kasparov as a kid. Today, I'm not so sure.

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/ultimate-blitz-challenge-garry-kasparov
    Post edited by BullDancer on
    @forte95 I'll be at my work in the next 30 minutes and will have time for a game.
  • ThePurpleBunnyThePurpleBunny Joined: Posts: 17,145
    Maybe if the later Terminator movies had John Connor defeating Skynet in chess those movies would have sucked a lot less.
    Twitchy | Twatter
    Fightcade: FaceToFist
    The chess Olympics, which is recognized by the IOC starts next week...
    I have time for some live games! I also accepted your invite @Naeras. You're ebsundmark, right?
    @forte95 I was in a meeting lol.

As an aside, losing to a patzer helped me remember my playstyle before I left chess for years. Unfortunately, I've always wanted to play in a spicy way like GM Simon Williams would say by playing sick gambits or playing cool combinations like Tal. The bad thing is that I've always secretly found that method of playing unsound. I'm an extremely safe player and drawing the game by repetition when I could have played for the win made me happy yesterday.

I've tried to make myself feel like playing for the win was cool because most of the guys that are my chess idols are like that. I'm happy that I rediscovered my playstyle, but unhappy that it is boring. I like even play that lacks winning chances.

I'll play for the win if my opponent hands it to me through a tactic but otherwise I don't care.

In other words, on the board play is illuminating.
    You're at work? You down for a live game?