King of Fighters XIII : Trials Thread

Fergus2k8Fergus2k8 Let's Rock!Joined: Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭
Haven't seen a thread for the trials of KOFXIII so here it is :p

Has anyone completed all of the trials yet? How on earth do you do Athena's lvl 7 (or 8), it's the one with the 3 HCB x 2 supers in the combo.
SFIV - Rose/Sakura | SFxT - Sakura/Asuka | TTT2 - Asuka/Miharu
Injustice - Harley Quinn | UMVC3 - Chris/Hsien/Sentinel
KoF XIII - Athena/Kula/Yuri

Comments

• AlenthAlenth Joined: Posts: 560
    Imo you will need at least 3 months or more to complete all trials (playing casually) even if you are a vet, haven't seen anyone yet with all the trials completed (even the combo freaks out there).

I've completed kyo, Terry and Clark Trials, working now on Elizabeth and Leona.
    VF5: Sarah, P4U: Elizabeth, Aigis, KOF XIII: Elizabeth, Clark, Kyo.
  • BurningVigorBurningVigor *sigh* Joined: Posts: 244
    Props to anyone who does this. What a huge time waster.. I've completed around 75% of all trials and that's enough for me.
    KOFXIII - ExKyo / K` / Andy
    AH3 - Nazuna(Time) / Akane(anything)
    GGAC - Bridget / Johnny / Sol / Chipp / Order-Sol
    SSF4 - Guy / Sakura
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Needs more Crisco. Joined: Posts: 3,293
    I'm around 6-8 on all the trials. Not bad considering I know jack shit and never been a Kof player. One thing we can agree on is THESE COMBO ARE SO SICK SON!!!!
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    I'm around 6-8 on all the trials. Not bad considering I know jack shit and never been a Kof player. One thing we can agree on is THESE COMBO ARE SO SICK SON!!!!
    "RagingStormX"
    "Never been a KoF player"

LIAR!!
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • DeetsDeets Joined: Posts: 15
    Juicebox finished all of them in a couple of weeks. But I mean. Yeah.
  • RagingStormXRagingStormX Needs more Crisco. Joined: Posts: 3,293
    "RagingStormX"
    "Never been a KoF player"

LIAR!!

I'm a CvS2 player at heart :)
  • crimzonflamecrimzonflame Jabroni Joined: Posts: 339
    Shen's mission #5. How do I link the the QCF B after the two QCF D's?
  • danimedanime dat swede. Joined: Posts: 182
    There's nothing special about it. You just do it after the HK ones and shouldn't be any problem. But you'd want to hit the 2 D's early, so that you juggle high enough to hit the last B.

I'm all done with King, Shen, Maxima and only got trial 6 left for Elizabeth. For the rest of the cast I'm around 5-8 trials in, from when I was trying them all out to see what characters I liked. I haven't spent that much time trying to get them all done, because it's something I'll do later on when I'm more experienced with the system. But comparing the trials in this game to others, I feel like it's best to try and clear one character at a time. You'll probably pick up small things, or just get more used to the character, along the way. In SF4 for example, where the trials are a lot easier, there might just be 1-2 trials per character that you can't get done, and they might not be linked at all to previous trials, so you'll just move on and do them later.

That's how I'm planning on doing it later at least, because when you finally figure out trial X, you can probably use a lot from that one for trial Y.
    Tu-tu-ruu~ Danime desu!

KOF XIII: King/Elizabeth/Shen
  • MakerMaker Contemptible Shrew Joined: Posts: 22
    So im stuck on trial five I believe it is of Leona's trials... Charge move to charge move confuses me greatly with the timing / buffering necessary. I try 1 to 7 then 7 to 6 for the inputs to keep the back charge going for the second move but either im doing it very wrong or its just that precise. Am I missing something here entirely? (New to KoF)
    So im stuck on trial five I believe it is of Leona's trials... Charge move to charge move confuses me greatly with the timing / buffering necessary. I try 1 to 7 then 7 to 6 for the inputs to keep the back charge going for the second move but either im doing it very wrong or its just that precise. Am I missing something here entirely? (New to KoF)

The last part instead of 7 hold 4, it works for me, try to keep holding 4 while you do the first part (1 to 7 or 8) and press 6.

Sorry for the double post lol.
  • pootnanniespootnannies hypocrite Joined: Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭
    anybody know what's up with Takuma's trial 5? i can't get the 646pp to connect at the end. i messed around doing his 16k, one of the jumps into k, and then it connected but i can't repeat it for the life of me. is it a super hop or a regular hop k? i've been mostly doing it in the corner but i've tried mid screen too and no dice.
    EDIT
    alright. i've been doing this trial for like two days and decided to post here for help and then i finally get it. it reminds me of sf4 where the characters are coming down from a jump attack and they land before it LOOKS like they do. this whole fucking time i was doing the 464pp too late. it's got to be done as soon as possible. sheesh.
    visit the HD Sprite Thread- http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/hi-def-sprite-thread-first-post-updated-1-9.32449/

“... keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”

xbl: pootnannies
    ggpo: whodat?
  • bkfst_sausagebkfst_sausage ST / SRK2k3 OG Joined: Posts: 2,802
    If anybody needs help on some of them, the Vesper Arcade videos have descriptions, where the dude blogs about some of the harder ones. Those REALLY helped me out.
    PSN: M1X4H < click it!
  • WurKeWurKe Joined: Posts: 1
    I finished every trial right before New Year's Eve, and completed EX Kyo (thanks to the PSN delay) and Mr KARATE's trials yesterday. Sometimes I feel like I've actually gotten the hang of a combo after trying one of them for 1 or 2 hours and other times I feel like I lucked up and I never try them again haha...

As for that Athena trial, it might be the hardest in the game... Maybe. I'm sure it at least took me the longest to get. At first, for the beginning DP into air super, I tried HCB~F A for the DP to come out and then just one more HCB and A for the air super to come out. For the second DP to air super, I would do the same thing. But sometimes I'd do the Super Cancel too fast and get her super on the ground, so I'd delay it slightly, then I'd get a Drive Canceled Psycho ball after the DP for some reason. I think, since I'm using the Dualshock, I would do the HCB~F A and only do a QCB~A afterwards. Other times, while rarely, I'd get a Drive Canceled Psychic Throw (command grab). That was me doing the HCB~F motion incorrectly and doing a HCB~HCF motion. Again, I blame the Dualshock D-Pad...

Regardless, that method didn't work for me after trying it for... way too long. So, what I did to avoid both problems was, and I don't know how easy it is on the Arcade Stick (didn't try it yet), but I did a clockwise 720 motion for the air super. So, I did the DP regularly, and that motion helped me start the 720 motion as fast as possible. The length of the 720 motion was long enough for Athena to get into the air so I didn't get the grounded super and complicated enough to avoid a Psycho Ball or Super Psychic Throw to come out. After trying this, all I had to work on was timing. I can do the trial consistently, in fact, by using this method.

Also, I slightly delayed the Phoenix Arrow in the trial after doing the Air F~LK. I think it allowed the follow-up kick she does to connect more consistently. Anyway, I hope this helps, since I didn't try the trial on a stick yet...
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that I'm still stuck on Elizabeth's trial 2. I can't get the command grab to cancel the command dash. I do it early, and nothing comes out during the dash. I do it late, and it whiffs. Is the cancel window really that small? It's only the second trial.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
    I can't believe that I'm still stuck on Elizabeth's trial 2. I can't get the command grab to cancel the command dash. I do it early, and nothing comes out during the dash. I do it late, and it whiffs. Is the cancel window really that small? It's only the second trial.

As you said the cancel window is really small, try to go neutral after the dash, this should work, your must be really fast here,
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    Cancel the dash from her f.B late
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • NissanZaximaNissanZaxima Joined: Posts: 7,686
    FOr people who have completed most or close to all of the trials what character(s) overall had the hardest ones in your eyes (or the ones that took you the longest).
    XBL: NissanZaxima
    Twitter: NissanZaxima18
  • FullMetalRossFullMetalRoss That Hurt! Liar... Joined: Posts: 3,717 ✭✭
    Wait how did you do mr.karate trial 7 dp into fireball just either gets me ex dp or super every fucking time : (
    <<>>
    @Nissan: K' and Elizabeth for me, K's 9th trial took me at least 2 hours lol, although many people are saying that leona's trials are also the most difficult.
    Wait how did you do mr.karate trial 7 dp into fireball just either gets me ex dp or super every fucking time : (

Try this: :dp: A/C :f: A/C
    @Nissan: K' and Elizabeth for me, K's 9th trial took me at least 2 hours lol, although many people are saying that leona's trials are also the most difficult.

Im on K #8 right now. I havent really tried it much yet but it will probably take me awhile. His trial 7 probably took me at least an hour... but that was mostly due to the fact I could get the HD cancel down for the first part... cr. b, cr. b, st. b, HD Cancel, st. C, f. A... for some reason the timing felt really really awkward for me. The part after that was easy though.
    I don't understand anything of Duolon after the third one...

Doesn't work as far as I can tell, I had some success holding down after the dp and doing the fireball but its still hella strict.
    <<>>
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't work as far as I can tell, I had some success holding down after the dp and doing the fireball but its still hella strict.
    Here's how I do it, works every time just fine.

:dp:+:snka: DC :qcf::uf:+:snka::snkc:

EDIT:
    Also, protip. If you're ever doing anything where you keep getting DP on accident, like say for instance a dash HCF, end the motion in :uf: because a DP in XIII cannot end in :uf:, so you'll never get it.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!

Ouch it only works in HD mode sorry. :dp:+:snka: then return to neutral and input :qcf: :snka: works fine for me with Elizabeth and already tested it for MR.Karate.

EDIT: Tested the tip that johnGrimm posted, it really works :)
    Ouch it only works in HD mode sorry. :dp:+:snka: then return to neutral and input :qcf: :snka: works fine for me with Elizabeth and already tested it for MR.Karate.

EDIT: Tested the tip that johnGrimm posted, it really works :)

The easiest way to perform 2 uppercut motions in a row is :hcb::f:+(P or K), :d::df:+(P or K). This way even if you go to far up to forward for the 2nd motion it wont come out as a super.
    The easiest way to perform 2 uppercut motions in a row is :hcb::f:+(P or K), :d::df:+(P or K). This way even if you go to far up to forward for the 2nd motion it wont come out as a super.

Thanks for the tip, K's trials are really insane :S, they should give you a gold trophy only for completing his trials.
    Here's how I do it, works every time just fine.

:dp:+:snka: DC :qcf::uf:+:snka::snkc:

EDIT:
    Also, protip. If you're ever doing anything where you keep getting DP on accident, like say for instance a dash HCF, end the motion in :uf: because a DP in XIII cannot end in :uf:, so you'll never get it.

This worked for me though in order to not get super I actually do dp+A, dp, end in upfoward + a seems to be slightly more consistent. Thanks!
    <<>>
    Ash's 8th, 9th, and 10th trials are completely absurd specially the "Sans.Culotte" parts in those combos, i have NO idea how to do them :S, this is insane....
  • 0nimarth0nimarth Joined: Posts: 5
    Yeah, the trials are ridiculous if you haven't played a KOF game before (like me). I've been playing this game for 2 days (currently on day 3) and have reached trial 9 with Kyo, Iori and Athena. I'm trying to do them one by one, but as a Street Fighter player I'm not used to pulling off combos 10 seconds long. So far, though, I love this game. It doesn't reward scrubbiness and it feels rewarding pulling off a juggle combo.
    SSFIVAE: Ibuki
    UMvC3: Trish (A), Felicia (B), Hawkeye (Y)
  • crimzonflamecrimzonflame Jabroni Joined: Posts: 339
    I've been playing the trial mode very casually and I've got Shen, Vice, and Yuri done. If anyone needs help with those I can certainly provide tips. I have a feeling those are the easiest trials though.
    Rekka combos are FUCKING INSANE in this game.
    When I get the combos off, it gets me off.
  • spades_SRkspades_SRk Joined: Posts: 3
    Kind of off-topic but Xian is live-streaming himself speed-running all the trials. It's really impressive to see someone just look at the combo and get it down after a couple tries. If you didn't already know: http://www.twitch.tv/crosscounterasia
    wow, I must see that ^
  • Eternal BlazeEternal Blaze Mobility Spammer~ Joined: Posts: 4,338
    God.. Fuck.Ash's.Trials.
    the San.**** parts are so fuckin dumb, WTF?

Edit: just saw Xian's BS, even more WTFs..
    .MVY. Francys Pai | Eternal Blaze
    [PSN/XBL: TrulyAmiracle]
    [Zafina/Anna | Vega | Hawkgirl | Amane | Kars | Alisa/Asuka]
    [Saiki/Ralf/Vice | PainWheel/Cerebella/Parasoul]
  • ponderingslothponderingsloth Word puncher Joined: Posts: 160
    Glad to see this thread! I'm new to KOF and have been tackling the trials--was able to do all ten for Elisabeth, Terry, Hwa, and Benimaru so far. Started Raiden's last night and can't figure out how in the world to do charge :db: :f::p: xx charge :db::f::2p:. The demo shows the EX charge coming out very quickly after the first one, not long enough to charge again. Also, the first trial forcing you to hold :k: then standing :p:, I can't get the LP to connect at all, no matter how I time it after the kick is released. Anyone out there done these yet? :)
    We're in this thing together, whatever it is.
  • ponderingslothponderingsloth Word puncher Joined: Posts: 160
    Okay, in the past several days I've finished Andy, Goro, Kyo, and Duo Lon (his were the hardest so far in my opinion). If anyone has questions about those, I'd be happy to do what I can to help.
    We're in this thing together, whatever it is.
  • Shadow HadoShadow Hado Joined: Posts: 91
    Alright, so has anyone done Ash's later trials? I have missions 8-10 left for Ash, and 5 other trials until I'm done... But I just can't do the d,u+HK, b+HK, d,u +LK, b+HK, d,u+LK in Ash's Mission Lv08. I know you don't have to charge d,u, but is there an easier way to do this than doing the full commands? Is there a buffer or a shortcut for doing this part?

Also, as I mentioned, I've done all of the trials except about 8 of them (3 of them are Ash.) If anyone needs help with them, I'd be glad to help out, just post on here, and/or tweet to me @ShadowHado. Tweeting is the best way to get my attention in case I don't check this thread often enough. Feel free to post on here and tweet me to look at your post as well. I will try to post all help here so that it helps everyone.

~~Nate
    Well that was quick, I figured out what my problem was already lol.

You CANNOT do that part of the combo to a standing opponent. They MUST be airborne. Once I realized that, I started using b,f+LK+HK to launch him, and started practicing the combo. I haven't gotten two full reps of it yet, only 1.6 lol.

Anywho, if you guys need help, I'm still willing to assist!
    Well that was quick, I figured out what my problem was already lol.

You CANNOT do that part of the combo to a standing opponent. They MUST be airborne. Once I realized that, I started using b,f+LK+HK to launch him, and started practicing the combo. I haven't gotten two full reps of it yet, only 1.6 lol.

Anywho, if you guys need help, I'm still willing to assist!

The hardest part was for me is the D,U + C/D cancel into B,F + C/D but i found a shortcut, i'm still trying the last part though.

Anyways have you done mature's 10th trial yet? i can't do the super before the oponent goes down, it seems that you must calculate DP + A + A just before you touch the ground, 9th trial was a damn nightmare too the opener requires strict timing and you can get some accidental cancels if you don't know how to do a perfect DP motion, the last part is more easy.
    ****EDITED**** 01/28/12 - Fixed the command for Mature's super. It ends with K, not P.

Yes I have, I actually JUST did Mature's 9 and 10 last night!

First of all, you have to delay the 2nd A on dp+A,A as much as possible. What I did when you have to do DP+A,A, Super, was DP+A, QCB+A (delayed), then HCF+K as you touch the ground. You want the very last F+Kick to come out just slightly after landing. I've also been able to do it the normal way (dp+A, A, super) by practicing on a standing opponent, but it's very rare and I couldn't do it without the buffer during the actual trial.

On a standing opponent, you can practice this part (dp+A,A, Super) all by itself and it will connect (BARELY) if done properly. I did this for quite a while last night to learn the timing of the delayed A input.

Also, don't forget that to Max Cancel, you have to do it as she slams them into the wall, not when she first grabs them.

~~Nate

P.S - I just got a few more done, so all I have left now is Joe's 10th (I REALLY hate how random his Super's extra bounce hit at the end of the animation seems to be) and Ash 8, 9, and 10! I know I will eventually get lucky on the Super with Joe, but Ash's trials really make me wonder if I will complete them all. Would be such a shame to be completely stuck with 3 or less trials left, and have them all be from Ash! Boooourns.
  • SKLLXMNKYSKLLXMNKY Kawaii As Fuck, Yo. Joined: Posts: 28
    I'm determined to finish Iori's trials before i try EX Iori's, Any tips on doing the short hop after the CT in trial 9? I'm either jumping to high or not jumping at all when i activate HD.
    Now doing Commisions on Fightstick Art. PMs for more information.
    "HAPPY! JOY-PY! NICE TO MEET YOU-YP!"
    Joseph Joestar
  • blockheadblockhead Joined: Posts: 243
    I can't finish Kyo's trial 1 for some reason. I've some of the later ones but i can't beat this one. I get the first three moves out fine but i can't get the hcb+k part to connect without it being blocked.
    KoF XIII: Kyo/Ash/Ex Iori subs: King or Terry
    ST: Guile
    Alpha 2/3: Akuma
    I'm determined to finish Iori's trials before i try EX Iori's, Any tips on doing the short hop after the CT in trial 9? I'm either jumping to high or not jumping at all when i activate HD.

Just practice the quick hop you must press the buttons very gently, you must connect the DP when you are really sure that your opponent is almost in the ground after that the combo will be easy.
    Yes I have, I actually JUST did Mature's 9 and 10 last night!

First of all, you have to delay the 2nd A on dp+A,A as much as possible. What I did when you have to do DP+A,A, Super, was DP+A, QCB+A (delayed), then HCF+P as you touch the ground. You want the very last F+Punch to come out just slightly after landing. I've also been able to do it the normal way (dp+A, A, super) by practicing on a standing opponent, but it's very rare and I couldn't do it without the buffer during the actual trial.

On a standing opponent, you can practice this part (dp+A,A, Super) all by itself and it will connect (BARELY) if done properly. I did this for quite a while last night to learn the timing of the delayed A input.

Also, don't forget that to Max Cancel, you have to do it as she slams them into the wall, not when she first grabs them.

~~Nate

P.S - I just got a few more done, so all I have left now is Joe's 10th (I REALLY hate how random his Super's extra bounce hit at the end of the animation seems to be) and Ash 8, 9, and 10! I know I will eventually get lucky on the Super with Joe, but Ash's trials really make me wonder if I will complete them all. Would be such a shame to be completely stuck with 3 or less trials left, and have them all be from Ash! Boooourns.

Thanks for the tips :)
    I can't finish Kyo's trial 1 for some reason. I've some of the later ones but i can't beat this one. I get the first three moves out fine but i can't get the hcb+k part to connect without it being blocked.

You know, I don't know if this is the same "easy one" I had problems with, but there was a really "early" trial for someone that seemed so basic and yet for some reason it took me forever to do it.

My suggestion would be to maybe try doing it on a pad/analog controller instead of a joystick, if that's what you're using. You have to the HCB pretty quickly after the LK, and this should help you do it faster. Think of the LK, HCB+K like doing a normal into special in SF, but you just have two cr.LK before that. Otherwise if you're determined to do it on a stick, try doing cr.LK, cr.LK, F+LK, HCB+LK. Pressing F+LK may help you buffer the HCB a little faster.

Hope that helps!
    Just practice the quick hop you must press the buttons very gently, you must connect the DP when you are really sure that your opponent is almost in the ground after that the combo will be easy.

Thanks for the tips :)

Hey, I'm sure you noticed this, but the command is DP+A, QCB+A, HCF+K, not P. My mistake, I thought her super was a punch button.

Also, I just messed around with it for a little bit, and thought I would add this: if you are practicing just DP+A,A, Super on the ground, when you do the QCB+A, HCF+K, the timing should feel like it's a Drive Cancel.

And another thing (and this may help more than anything,) if you practice it in the actual string from the combo: QCB+P x3, DP+A,A, QCB+P x2, DP+A,A, QCB+P, DP+A,A, Super - If you learn to delay the A on all of the DP+A,A in that string, when you get to the Super part, Takuma will be so high in the air that you don't have to rush the Super input at all.

And lastly: once you get these things down, when you go to do the trial, do it as fast as you can. When I first started doing it the other night, I would run out of meter RIGHT before you have to Max Cancel.

Yeah, I recommend the same thing as him, just practice doing quick hop, because that's the type of jump you need to do there. If you don't know how to do it, the way I do it is just press DB,UF quickly, but when you press UF, you have to tap it lightly. If you hold it even for a split second, you will do a super jump instead of a quick hop.

Practice that, and I'm sure the rest will come easily!
    Well guys... I have 3 trials left... And as expected, they're Ash's trials 8-10. I'm so not excited for these lol. If they didn't make you do a full combo, a hard drive combo, AND a "poison mode" combo, then maybe I'd be less worried about them.
    Soooo about how I did all of Ash's trial 8 and missed the super at the end... *RAGE*

also, I messed around with... I think it was trial 10; it's the one where you have to keep walking forward and doing fireballs... Yeahhhh I couldn't do it in more than once (couldn't do two walking fireballs in a row)

*edit* I stopped counting at 7 times I landed the full combo but dropped the Super on Sunday night. Hopefully today, if I get some play time in, I can finish this. Gah!
    Hey by the way, has anyone done Ash's trial 10 by chance? Any tips? I know how to do a walking fireball, but you have such a tight window to do them! Not to mention, the instant b+HK. Any tips for either of those?

And, does anyone need help with any of the other characters' trials? Or is everyone playing SC5 right now? I wonder if it's any good...
  • blockheadblockhead Joined: Posts: 243
    What I did with the trials was break them down into simpler combos that were more practical. Frankly a lot of them are pretty damn hard to execute reliably for me. This is my first KOF but I've been playing fighting games seriously since 2006.
    KoF XIII: Kyo/Ash/Ex Iori subs: King or Terry
    ST: Guile
    Alpha 2/3: Akuma