The how to deal with durpy stuff thread. Exploring install supers, more missiles

DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep EnergyJoined: Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok...so there's a lot of DURP in this game. If you haven't realized that yet it's probably because you haven't played the game yet.

What I mean specifically is moves like Hulk's H that can be cancelled into block into more stuff that has armor and annoying assists like Strider's teleport kick assist. Plus the infamous TELEPORTS that pepole hate.

What I want is for people to list down the durpy moves they hate getting hit by or just any general tactics that they feel their might be something they can do about but it's just too hard sometimes. I still see too many people online just get run over by Hulk H to the point where it's like as if Hulk is a self Haggar assist. Once I compile enough of a list I'll most likely put together a video kinda like the old Akuma tatsu vid to show how to deal with using different characters and what not.

Especially since the game is high damage any way and the pace is generally fast, you pretty much have to know what to do against shit beforehand and this is a good way I feel of getting that together.

General Stuff

High/Low Mixups: Dealing with traditional Magneto style high/low = http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread.151752/page-2#post-6318667

Assist + teleport Mix Ups: Dealing with assist + port pressure = http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread-first-post-updated-with-info.151752/page-3#post-6337643 ; http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread-first-post-updated-with-info.151752/#post-6314432

Character/Assist Specific Stuff

Akuma: (On point) Anti tatsu techniques = http://www.youtube.com /watch?v=pIXwlLkCGhQ&feature=related ; http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=YPeHmnUVYkA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Ammy:

Arthur:

C.Viper:

Captain America: (On Point) Shield Slash spam = http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread.151752/#post-6314018

Chris Redfield:

Chun Li:

Dante: (On point) j.S/Hammer pressure = http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread-first-post-updated-with-info.151752/#post-6313863

Deadpool:

Doctor Strange:

Dorm:

Doom: (As Assist) Dealing with hidden missiles assist = http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread.151752/page-2#post-6319670

Felicia:

Firebrand:

Frank West:

Ghost Rider: (On Point) Dealing with the air whip = http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-do-i-beat-air-s.149758/

Haggar:

Hawkeye:

Hsien Ko:

Hulk: (On Point) General anti Hulk stuff = http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread-first-post-updated-with-info.151752/#post-6314137 ; http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread-first-post-updated-with-info.151752/#post-6313438

Iron Fist:

Iron Man:

Jill Valentine:

MODOK:

Magneto: (On Point) Dealing with typical Magneto mix ups = http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread-first-post-updated-with-info.151752/page-2#post-6318667

Morrigan:

Nemesis:

Nova:

Phoenix:

Phoenix Wright:

Rocket Raccoon:

Ryu:

Sentinel: (As Assist) Dealing with point character + Drones pressure = http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread-first-post-updated-with-info.151752/#post-6314432

She Hulk:

Shuma:

Spencer:

Spider Man:

Storm:

Strider: (On Point) Dealing with Vajra H/Teleport kick = http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread.151752/#post-6313466

Super Skrull: (On Point) = Defensive techniques against random meteor smashes. http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread-first-post-updated-with-info.151752/page-5#post-6433821

Task:

Thor:

Trish:

Tron:

Vergil:

V.Joe:

Wesker: (On point) = Dealing with XF3/4 Alllllberrrrt = http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread.151752/#post-6314335

Wolvie:

Zero: (On Point) = General tips against Zero = http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread-first-post-updated-with-info.151752/#post-6313863 ; http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-how-to-deal-with-durpy-stuff-thread-first-post-updated-with-info.151752/#post-6314380
Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01

Comments

• miragemirage Custom Title Joined: Posts: 397
    yeah hulk + doom hidden missiles pretty much has my number lol. s. h and gamma charge are ridiculous
  • Death InsuranceDeath Insurance Not here. Joined: Posts: 508
    Derp: Dante's j.S /canceled into hammer on block, and Vergil's helmet breaker.

To avoid it: Be patient and block.

I still get hit by these things all of the time.
    Free Insurance on XBL.
  • CougarCougar Logic, yo. Joined: Posts: 1,528
    Hulk + Sentinel assist + Another assist capable of lockdown, such as Chun Li. In fact, I just got bodied by Hulk/Chun/Sentinel. Flowcharter, too. Hulk runs away, call Sent assist, H Gamma Charge > L Followup, [Anti Air Gamma Charge H > H Followup] xN, call Chun, keep doing AAGC, call Sent, repeat. I seriously couldn't do a thing if I blocked just once.
    [ Magneto | Nova | Sentinel ]
    UMvC3: [Strange/Haggar/Arthur] Low tier heroes, represent!
    PSN: TheCougar44. Add me if you want to play some matches!
  • RokmodeRokmode preppy asked me to change my title rip meaty mud flap Joined: Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raikousen
    THIS WEBSITE SUCKS GIANT HORSE @#$@#$@!@$
    Youtube(random doom TAC help, doom combos, ammy stuff, shuma combos and tech): http://www.youtube.com/user/Clickclakmoo?feature=mhee Danke on shuma gorath: "He who sleeps but shouldn't have costed me 5 dollars."
  • branesploadbranespload okize.me Joined: Posts: 327
    If I have a team of characters with mainly single-hitting moves (Tron, Frank, Nova), what do I do against a Hulk on point with something like Tatsu and Disruptor assists?

Disruptor + s.:h: xx Gamma Charge xx Gamma Charge is armored, safe on block, covered by an assist, and leaves me in a mixup situation after the recovery (low, s.H again, or command throw).

how to herp the derp??
    My UMvC3 Blog: okize.me
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll help with Tron a bit. A misconception I feel with Tron is that she is a single hit character. She has some of the biggest array of multi hitting normals in the game. j.L, c.L, both do multiple hits and can stuff out typical armor crap. Her drill is great to stuff armor and I think is pretty safe on block. Tiger knee the drill if you want it to be safer on block.

Listing all her normals that have multi hits you have s.M that does 4 hits, c.L that does 6 hits, c.H that does 4 hits, and j.L that does 3 hits, f+M gustaff that does 5 hits and f+H bandit boulder that does 3 hits at close range.

Doing stuff like pressing s.H to absorb a disruptor and then going in with a drill I feel is a solid technique. Remember also that gustaff flame on point is now special/hyper cancellable and does multiple hits. The fire nullifies medium durability projectiles and there's only like 5 projectiles in the game that have medium durability so that will cover any typical projectile stuff. Her f+H boulder throw also nullifies medium durability projectiles and beams during the first 5 active frames and the actual boulder throw has 10 low durability points which is enough to shut down disruptah easily. Will also blow through drones assist pretty nicely.

For Frank West, get him to level 4 and your troubles go away as far as multi hits are concerned. His j.M is great for stuffing out most of the assists in the game.

Nova you're probably gonna have some issues with when it comes to blowing through armor. I would try to get within c.L range and hope for the best. Other than that his red health pulses do multiple hits but that requires you burning red health. Centurion Rush H is negative on block but does 3 hits and Nova Strike M also does 3 hits but about neg 9 on block.
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • MomochuuMomochuu Little ♥ Monster Joined: Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭
    Vajra H.
    Dante Combo Thread | Youtube Channel | Dante Tech Thread | @HelloKarinachuu
    UMvC3: Morrigan (α)/Dante (α)/ Doctor Doom (β)| Persona 4 Arena: Mitsuru/Shadow Labrys
    XBL Gamertag: Hello Momomo
    BTW, Tron's drill is still not safe on block DJ.
    UMvC3: Morrigan (α)/Dante (α)/ Doctor Doom (β)| Persona 4 Arena: Mitsuru/Shadow Labrys
  • EvuL SoldierEvuL Soldier Joined: Posts: 818
    Any teleporter covered with an assist, especially Doom's beam. Spencer's horizontal zip line covered with an assist as well. Any character with an air dash that super jumps up then air dashes down with an attack, especially someone who has a stupid ass hit box like Dormammu's.
    PSN Name: evulsoidier UMvC3 Team: Haggar/Hsien-Ko/Arthur
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, Tron's drill is still not safe on block DJ.

I heard TK drill was safer on block yeah? Though you can always call a longer ranged assist first if needed before drilling to keep it safe.

Vajra H.

Chicken block (air block before he lands) and punish with regular throw. If your character has fast aerial or ground normals like Wolverine or X-23 you can chicken block first...then punish him with a jump normal while you're still in the air or ground normal as you hit the ground off the chicken block and go into full combos also. The threshold you'll want is like a 4 to 6 frame normals for this to be reliable.

The Vajra also stops tracking right before it lands so you can dash once right before it hits you and move past the tracking and punish his whiff recovery. My brother does this all the time against my anchor Strider. Don't wave dash or you'll track back into the dive kick and lose. Just dash once before it comes down.

Just frame air throwing him as he reappears from the teleport can work but it's risky. It's basically you pre emptively jump up and when you see Strider teleport off screen to go near you just press f+H right before he reappears. If done correct you can air throw him out of it but the timing is tight and if you screw up you're gonna get hurt.

XF guard cancel works also and forces him to XF guard cancel to not die.

If you're in the air if you have something with fast movement you can use it right before he lands on top of you and move past the tracking. It's just you don't really wanna be in the air unless you have to cuz hard knockdown is not cool.
  • OsgXOsgX Joined: Posts: 1,900 ✭✭
    Zero... :(

Edit: I use Mags, so I'm okay keeping him out. It's once he gets in that I know I fucked up and it feels like I'm blocking forever and a day, or pushblocking into my death.
  • TenguEggTenguEgg Joined: Posts: 1,145
    Tatsu spam seems to have my number pretty hard, as well as characters who have faster/better normals than me.

I mean, i'm a very defensive player, so I tend to block and block until I see an opening for a punish, but against a lot of characters thats just asking to get command grabbed, plus there might not ever be anything that comes out thats unsafe. Even against characters like Captain America, he has a far reaching 4 frame cr.L that blows me up if I ever try to beat him out. Same goes for characters like X-23 or Zero ( I don't know their frame data, but it never feels like I can press buttons, and I definitely can't block forever ). It just really sucks not being able to pushblock people out either.

Oh and, Felicias Air Delta Kick, shit goes like full screen and has a ridiculous hit box and leads to seemingly infinite blockstrings/dash in command grab setups. As far as i've seen the only option to beating that out is to super jump and not get hit by the ADK in the first place.
  • Aerial ScrewAerial Screw Master of Magnetism Joined: Posts: 701
    Dr. Derp's hidden missle assist spam + basically anything else in the game

Seems like everything he does is safe
    SSF4 - Yun, Poison, Dudley
    You talking about when Doom is on point or the assist missiles?
  • hybreezyhybreezy A Fraud Draws Near Joined: Posts: 7,490
    Hulk + Sentinel assist + Another assist capable of lockdown, such as Chun Li. In fact, I just got bodied by Hulk/Chun/Sentinel. Flowcharter, too. Hulk runs away, call Sent assist, H Gamma Charge > L Followup, [Anti Air Gamma Charge H > H Followup] xN, call Chun, keep doing AAGC, call Sent, repeat. I seriously couldn't do a thing if I blocked just once.

Going by the team in your sig

Drones calls are pretty predictable with a Hulk (I'm guilty of this myself) try keeping your distance and calling Arthur's daggers you should interrupt either Sentinel or Hulk himself. I also wouldn't hesitate to check him with a well timed Chaotic Flame punish either yeah it might seem random but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Also realize Hulk has brutal recovery after that L Followup so as long as he doesn't go for a Gamma Crush you should be able to punish immediately.
    Mediocre at fighting games
    I heard TK drill was safer on block yeah? Though you can always call a longer ranged assist first if needed before drilling to keep it safe.

Yeah TK drill is like -1 on block or something. She can't really take advantage of that most of the time, but she won't be punished for it...most of the time. I need to test if it can be air grabbed after TK drill. I used to play Tron a lot until late in vanilla where I stopped focusing on her and focused more on my Zero and Dante so I need to really test some of her Ultimate tech.
    Going by the team in your sig

Drones calls are pretty predictable with a Hulk (I'm guilty of this myself) try keeping your distance and calling Arthur's daggers you should interrupt either Sentinel or Hulk himself. I also wouldn't hesitate to check him with a well timed Chaotic Flame punish either yeah it might seem random but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Also realize Hulk has brutal recovery after that L Followup so as long as he doesn't go for a Gamma Crush you should be able to punish immediately.

Chaotic Flame? Lol ok but I get the point. He was smart and always covered L Followup with an assist, but now that I think about it, I could have used Illusion to counter his AAGC's. Thanks for the reply :)
  • unkozuwari44unkozuwari44 we play marvel because we're all masochists Joined: Posts: 44
    you can airthrow zeros lightning if he doesnt cancel into buster, but what good zero isnt gonna cancel into buster?
  • Senor TacoSenor Taco Bionic fists of fury Joined: Posts: 86
    Zero. He's a jumping, spinning, impossible to keep out robot made entirely out of stupid.

People who play double jump characters and run a beam assist. They lazily float down just out of grab or attack range while an assist is called, hit confirm and kill me to death.
    PSN: SrTaco21
    Ultimate Team: Chris/Strider/Spencer (Team "Shoot the Shit Out of it")
    Brother's Ultimate team: Nemesis/Taskmaster/Wesker (Team "In Dat Ass")
  • hybreezyhybreezy A Fraud Draws Near Joined: Posts: 7,490
    Chaotic Flame? Lol ok but I get the point. He was smart and always covered L Followup with an assist, but now that I think about it, I could have used Illusion to counter his AAGC's. Thanks for the reply :)
    I looked at your avatar and had a giant brain fart, I meant Spell as I'm sure you figured out after >__>
    Mediocre at fighting games
  • DopplesDopples TheFinestBrew Joined: Posts: 98
    Zero pretty much. This character still wrecks me constantly, and I can never find holes even in his basic j.H pressure. My teams are Chris (Grenade Toss)/Trish (Peekaboo)/Dorm (Varies between Dark Hole or Purification) and She-Hulk (Torpedo)/Frank (Shopping Cart)/Dorm (Dark Hole)
    TvC: Frank West/Casshern UMvC3:She-Hulk/lol/lol PSABR:Drake/Kat (RIP Barrels) Persona 4 Arena: Aigis (Former Kanji main/fraud) Injustice: Harley Quinn (This'll be a blast!)
    If Suda makes a No More Heroes fighting game by teaming up with Aksys, I'd probably play nothing else ever.
    Derp: Dante's j.S /canceled into hammer on block, and Vergil's helmet breaker.

To avoid it: Be patient and block.

I still get hit by these things all of the time.

Yeah these moves are basically dive kicks so I'm sure air throw punishing them is out of the question. You could probably chicken block punish Dante's j.S if he doesn't cancel but if he does then it probably gets dicey. All of those moves lose to XF guard cancel though so if you're willing to blow your XF you can get them out of there or force them to burn their XF also to save themselves and then get the match more even and fair from there.

Definitely seems to be a lot of complaints about Zero. I know I can't stand that guy either cuz he's just like walking hit boxes to me having 2 or 3 moves that you could basically consider self assists and access to standard assists. At least when I play against my brother he always complains about fast characters that can outmaneuver Zero. His is a bit of a spaceship to control since he doesn't have a standard wave dash and can't block during his aerial movement specials but a lot of that can be covered by buster charge and good assists.

It would probably help to have other Zero players chime in on stuff to look for against a Zero loaded with good assists. What I would say immediately to do is just stay patient and if you have a character that can lame him out towards the top of the screen get up there where he can't really shoot you with anything but upwards lightning and snipe him down. If you're a pixie style character like Wolverine or X-23 just use your movement to hopefully catch him whiffing something when he doesn't have an assist.

If you can force Zero to block something you can get rid of him off a mix up pretty fast but getting him to block something is easier said than done. Some of his moves without assists are air throw punishable but...a good Zero sitting on buster and assists will make that tough also.

XF guard cancelling Zero isn't really an option because almost all of his moves are multi hitting or put out some projectile hit box that will blow you up for trying.

Generally if your character has some way of killing Zero without being near Zero that helps.
  • SessSess Joined: Posts: 74
    Hidden Missiles zoning is probably one annoying thing for many people. People like hawkeye, deadpool, taskmaster and such can be so much more annoying to deal when backed by missiles. There is always the classic sent/doom beam spit + missiles combo, but personally doom missiles/photon shot + drone assist spam is a lot more annoying to deal with.

Edit: I think someone mentioned tron's drills. In MVC3 I usually went for a grab after blocking it(gotta watch out for a level 3 grab). Not sure if she is able to tech it(think they patched teching during recovery in UMVC3, or uh did they?) or not, but I don't think I ever played a tron that did.
  • SnowflakeSVKSnowflakeSVK Clueless Joined: Posts: 53
    Super-Skrull. :P On entry, I tend to get command grabbed, or one can fake it and get free hits if I choose not to block. Especially tricky is when they wait until I hit the ground to command grab me :( Also, Meteor Smash tends to cross up very late in the animation, giving me a lot of trouble. On block, if I choose to punish, I get stuffed with on-reaction Inferno. When I use Strange's Seven Rings counterprojectile, the Skrull can X-factor cancel into a combo if I don't have X-Factor myself - the whole situation doesn't end in my favor if I try to punish, so against a Meteor Smash, I feel really helpless.

Those two moves make the character really tough for me - the command grab and Meteor Smash.
    UMVC3: Vergil, Dormammu, Doctor Strange
  • maziodynemaziodyne I'll crush you in one strike! Joined: Posts: 7,564
    Tatsu is still durp.

also fuck Zero.
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
  • Kaiten92Kaiten92 Well-Known Pervert Joined: Posts: 12,367
    Captain America, jump and Shield Slash. Rinse, lather, repeat until you combo the opponent.

When I played at the Break, MarlinPie said something close to "If you have a move to throw out during his SS, just do it." Im not really sure what he means by it but the only way I've been able to get around it is timing an air throw which scales my dmg even if I combo after it. The guide says there is no (dis)advantage on block so am I supposed to jump and block and then do something or....?
    "Persona 4 Golden has taught me that I need to focus on maxing my S.Link's IRL.
    Too bad I spent like 80+ hours on a Single player game w/ non-existent people and fictional love interests.
    Kind of counterproductive isn't it?

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • Aerial ScrewAerial Screw Master of Magnetism Joined: Posts: 701
    You talking about when Doom is on point or the assist missiles?
    Both
    SSF4 - Yun, Poison, Dudley
    Captain America, jump and Shield Slash. Rinse, lather, repeat until you combo the opponent.

When I played at the Break, MarlinPie said something close to "If you have a move to throw out during his SS, just do it." Im not really sure what he means by it but the only way I've been able to get around it is timing an air throw which scales my dmg even if I combo after it. The guide says there is no (dis)advantage on block so am I supposed to jump and block and then do something or....?

When I play against my brother's Captain America I tend to just walk or jump forward while blocking. Honestly it's extremely hard to deal with if he throws an assist in the middle and will set up a free counter hit or 1 frame throw mix up easily. Without an assist though just jump forward while holding block. If he's not calling an assist eventually he'll get into a range where throwing the shield slash won't be as favorable for him. This is good because what people probably don't realize about his Shield Slash is that if you hit Captain America during the shield slash the hit box for the slash goes away. Which means if he forces you to block it at close range you can escape the block stun and hit him before it comes back to hit you and then just put him into a combo.

Also...the shield slash only has one point of durability so if your character has any type of projectile with quick recovery you can shoot it and remove the hit box from the move until he throws another one. Giving you space to move in. Just be careful of him mashing on projectile invincible moves like charging star and hyper charging star to get through. Luckily unless he calls an assist first charging star is pretty unsafe on block and he has to DHC or XF guard cancel to keep hyper charging safe.
    I looked at your avatar and had a giant brain fart, I meant Spell as I'm sure you figured out after >__>

Gah... Why does nobody see my avatar the same? I see Strange, a couple others see Strange, many others see Dormammu, and yet some others just see a blank white avatar.
    Gah... Why does nobody see my avatar the same? I see Strange, a couple others see Strange, many others see Dormammu, and yet some others just see a blank white avatar.
    I see the Dread Dormammu bro. Always have

Thanks DJ, I'll probably have more derp in the future but thats it for now.
    Too bad I spent like 80+ hours on a Single player game w/ non-existent people and fictional love interests.

• k0rr1k0rr1 Hello thar. Joined: Posts: 225
    I use Hulk/Deadpool/Sentinel and I'm pretty good with the team (2nd lord, 700 games played, 71% ratio) , I've been playing it since Day 1 Vanilla, and to my surprise it's a bit better in this version. Despite being a solid "mid tier" team, it requires a lot of effort to fight against top tier teams and people who know how to "block." Because of this I'm creating a secondary team that deals with a lot of my bad match ups. Because my team ain't cheap enough.

Anyways, if you guys are still having trouble with Hulk this late in the game I kinda feel sorry for you, but let me help you guys defeat the big bad Hulks.
    Hulk's weaknesses:
    - Has VERY obvious mix-ups that you can react to the more familiar you get with the matchup.
    - Judge the distance between yourself and Hulk, because chances are all you have to do is block overheads. Just press up back or block while you're standing. Don't press buttons, don't mash, just block and wait for your opportunity.
    - Although Hulk has pretty intimidating blockstrings if you're patient enough you can punish anything he throws. If he cancels his Stand H and follows up with a Gamma Charge and has meter to cancel it what you should be doing is blocking, but if he doesn't, punish him when the animation finishes. (With a fast projectile or super if he ends it by dashing back or a full combo if he ends it by dashing in front of you) Oh yeah, don't push block the gamma charge (if he's meterless) if you're going to punish it because you'll be too far if you do.
    - Keepaway characters obliterate Hulk. If you use characters like Morrigan, Trish, Deadpool, Hawkeye, Taskmaster, Arthur, etc. chances are you'll shit on Hulk for free if you know the matchup especially if you're doing it in conjunction with a lock down assist and know your character. (Those matchups are literally 7-3 to 8-2 imo) If you get beat by Hulk using those characters, you might 1. Suck, 2. Have gotten unlucky 3. Have been pressing buttons 4. Suck. So keep training.
    - Don't do random full screen supers. If you do make sure it's a bait and you DHC into a counter for example (Task or Wesker) or you have x-factor to cancel it because it could end up being a fatal mistake assuming he has an OTG assist and X-Factor cancels the Gamma Crush. There are some situations where just taking the damage and saving your X-Factor/Meter is a good option too though. This is usually a good option if your opponent is devoid of X-Factor or meter, mostly X-F.
    - He is a big character so he is prone to instant overheads.
    - Has SO MANY bad matchups. The only way around this for Hulk players is to train their defense, learn match ups, and keep applying pressure to the opponent. For example, my main goal to stop you from gaining momentum is by applying pressure and getting in your face all the time. I want to be in close proximity. But if the opponent doesn't succumb to the pressure, has good defense, knows the matchup as well and uses characters like Vergil, Zero, Dante, Wesker, etc. for example, I should have no chance of winning if you play solid unless I get lucky. Characters with great air mobility and multi-hitting/super armor breaking moves like Morrigan are especially troublesome against Hulk.
    - I'd also like to note that all his supers are extremely punishable. Gamma Tsunami is often used to "somewhat" make his Gamma Charges safe. Thing is, if you don't push block the super and Hulk is too close to you, you can punish it. Another thing Hulk players use which is incredibly unsafe is Gamma Quake usually at the end of a Gamma Charge. You can punish this in a multitude of ways: Walk/Dash up grab (Don't try this if you're too far and your character is slow), teleport out, air combo out and away from the super (is not viable for some characters), use a projectile counter super (Doc Strange), invincible supers, animation supers (like Deadpool's cutting time, or most lvl 3s), moves that move your character out fast enough (Berserker Slash, Gamma Charge), or you can just block. If you're unsure of your timing or the opponent has an additional meter to DHC out then your best bet is to just take the chip damage unless you're down to your last character with a pixel of health. If that is the case, just use X-F to negate the chip damage if you are unable to do any of the things I've listed.
    - Aerial attacks are easily punishable with a variety of things (E.g. Anti airs, etc.). Make a Hulk that abuses Air. H/S too much rethink his way of approaching you.

Other interesting tidbits:
    - Back/forward dashes are extremely punishable if not jump canceled.
    + Despite being the only big character to not have a wavedash, he is still quite mobile.
    - He recently had an infinite removed.
    (Only 2 reps of Gamma Charge Anti-Airs can be performed now and then it resets. Use only 2 gamma waves so it doesn't reset.)
    List of characters that give Hulk trouble:
    Zero, Dante, Wesker, Vergil, Trish, Morrigan, Captain America, Magneto, Phoenix, Wolverine, Arthur, Spencer, Chris Redfield, Dormammu, Modok, X-23,Taskmaster, Spiderman, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Ghost Rider, Rocket Raccoon, Strider, Nova
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/hulk-101-comprehensive-guide-of-strengths-weaknesses.152054/

most of the ones I've listed are also the same characters that give sent trouble so if a person is rocking Hulk / ? / Sent you shouldn't have trouble assuming you're good with those characters.
    "The difference between a successful person and others
    is not a lack of strength,
    not a lack of knowledge,
    but rather in a lack of will."

- Vince Lombardi
  • KayEyeDeeKayEyeDee Play what you like. Joined: Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    you know whats derpy? x factor 4 wesker. what do you got for that?
    DARK ALLLBURRRT RISES! http://www.youtube.com /watch?v=sWIijCybeZw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL#t=8m06s
    Spoiler:

Basically get him to pop the XF, survive the welcome mix up and burn out the XF. Snapping Wesker in early to kill him off with a TOD or XF combo helps also but if the team has other strong anchors like Dorm, Felicia, Magneto, Strider etc. this may or may not come back to haunt you with those characters instead. If the team has other beast mode anchors it's your best bet to just wait it out IMO.

EDIT: Some footage of me playing against some Dark Weskers at the local Xanadu tournament a few weeks back. Plus footage of Justin Wong dealing with Dark Albert.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/301387776 Around 46 minutes in vs. Joe Kim who was one of the best players in the area in Vanilla. Nerf to Tron assist kinda hurt his old team so of course he went the Anchor Wesker route for knee jerk success. Not having a real pressure assist for Sentinel made Sentinel easy to deal with and then all that's left is dealing with Dark Wesker. Some players prefer not to turn on XF3 the moment Dark Wesker comes out because they like to have their guard cancel ready and you burn out XF time turning it on without hitting anybody if you need to kill 3 people.

The first match he probably should have just popped it early but didn't and ended up dying. Second match he ends up popping it early but ends up running into hammer and although I knew I wasn't going to kill him with my half assed hammer combo I at least made sure the combo was as long as it could be to burn out his XF as much as possible. Long Dante combo burned out half his XF on the spot. Then turned on Devil Trigger to lame out the rest of the XF and now it's just normal Wesker.

1 hour 45 minutes in of the same link you'll see Unknown vs. myself. The guy that wrecked Justin Wong, Noel Brown, PR Rog and pretty much anyone else that was good with his Nemesis during the team tournaments at NEC.

The first match I didn't get time to turn on Devil Trigger to lame out Dark Wesker like I wanted. Which ended up getting Dante hit real fast and then X-23 is forced to come in from the corner. Of course I got nervous and didn't block like I probably should have and just air H'd me into TOD. Knowing at that point that he was probably going for a similar mix up I figured I would wait to see if he was going to jump in...I noticed as Doom was about to come in that he wasn't actually near me yet so I decided to come in with Doom's air S that would at worst trade with any attack he did. He went for Wesker's air L which traded but all trades go in Doom's favor with the new S and then killed him with XF3 level 3.

The second match I got run over by Chun Li + drones so yeah. LOL. It was Chun Li so I was pretty much happy to lose to that if anything.

3rd match little it of back and forth but he ends up calling Sent Drones assist towards the corner when he probably shouldn't have and I get a 2 for one and kill off Chun and Sent. Of course my reward for punishing him for a bad assist call and removing two of his characters...is like traditional UMVC3 fashion. Instead of having a huge advantage towards winning I have an ok chance of winning simply because I now must face XF3/4 GOD! I decided to play this game in a tournament so I can't come up with excuses at that point. Just gotta win the match in the safest way possible.

I tried to hit him with reverb shock and cancel it into fireworks but I didn't get the fireworks cancel to come out to stay safe on block and push myself away from him. Which meant instead I was forced to stay next to him at neg 8 on block. He took advantage and got rid of Dante pretty quick. X-23 has to come in and I figure he's been running the air H press stuff for a while so I successfully block his air H and immediately push block him away so I can get space. As soon as I do that I do an H talon attack and have X-23 run for the hills since he already burned his XF. Once X-23 gets space she's really good at burning out typical Dark Wesker.

Needless to say I eventually burned it out and he was forced to fight without any XF powers. I made a mistake doing another M talon attack towards him which her air threw and at that point even if X-23 had died I still would have had Doom with XF stocked which I'm hardly afraid of assistless, XF less Wesker at that point. He ends up dropping a combo on both 23 and Doom and I land a combo with XF Doom and take it at that point.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/303027563 1 hour 23 minutes in. Justin Wong laming out Noel Brown's Dark Wesker. He simply calls fast high priority assist (Akuma tatsu) to bait any of his attacks while just playing a spacing game and push blocking any block strings. Wesker can't rapid fire any of his normals so he has to commit to one string and then get pushed out. Pushed out anything that was blocked that wasn't a command grab until the XF nearly ran out. Set up solid pokes like Iron Fist j.H while Wesker was on the ground to outfootsie Wesker and even hit him into a combo.

The hardest part is getting Wesker to pop the XF early without getting hit which J.Wong effectively did by forcing Wesker sitting on XF to block a string. Then when Noel tried to XF guard cancel the Iron Fist string J.Wong immediately reverse guard cancelled so he could block in time and then started laming out the dark one.

In general though I got what I wanted Dark Wesker to do in both of those matches against 3 of my people which is burn his XF without tearing the whole team down. Wesker is just simply better with an assist period. It's easier to put hit boxes on the screen and generally run away from his pressure without an assist even with XF.

Which of course J.Wong was successfully able to do in his footage against Brown also.
  • ManyeahtruManyeahtru Joined: Posts: 45
    As a hagger player with hulk I just learned to be patient.. most h spammers are pretty damn aggressive

Sit and block and wait for that opening.. punish.. and repeat until the green bastard is dead..

The 2 main problems I run into are ghost riders jumping s and frank Wests slide..

Spencer's zip line is good against jumping s spammers but damn those full screen chain combos

Teleports are annoying but most folks who spam them don't even spam em correctly or safely and can bebe punished kind of easily..
  • Dark RadianceDark Radiance MNS Azula Joined: Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    It would probably help to have other Zero players chime in on stuff to look for against a Zero loaded with good assists. ..

I'll try and offer some input.

For rushdown teams:

One thing people should keep in mind against Zero is that most Zero players are holding down L constantly to keep their buster charged. This makes it so he doesn't have that those godlike L's available (5 and 4 frames), which means the fastest poke he can throw out is only 8 frames (his M's). that pretty much puts him in the same boat as Dante. You know know what that means? It means that, like Dante, the character can't push buttons once a character has invaded his space. If you have a fast enough character with a decent team put together, you should be able to rush Zero down, and the entire point in fighting Zero is to make him have to block. Having a strong assist helps, too.

Keep out teams:

I'm going to tell y'all this straight up - I have no talent in keepaway, so this is more based on what gives me trouble facing these teams. Zero can't block during his movement, so the best thing to do is put things on the screen that he can't have safe mobility. I think the key is to make moving around with Zero dangerous so that he has to block, but have to remember that you need to do something as he's blocking. I'll give an example of what I mean. You have Magneto and you keeping him out with beam and anti-air super. As you're doing this, you're calling out drones. Zero needs to block and you're now in a good situation to probably kill Zero.

Note: I'm not trying to pass this off as a sure fire way taking down Zero for free. These are just some general things I do mixed with a bit of theory that people can try or keep in mind when fighting this character. I'm still working on anti-zero and anti-wesker tech atm.
    KOF:Saiki/EX Iori/Elisabeth
    Marvel: Viper/Magneto/Ammy
    Smash: Marth
    [SIZE=15px]- Azula[/SIZE]
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,936 ✭✭
    i'll throw in some derp that just straight kills me:

mags with drones... WHAAAAAT DO??? omg im so frickin tired of losing to that crap.
    i guess i need to be more dynamic in my neutral game to not fall victim to drones xx disruptor flowchart BS... but i digress for me it seems impossible to beat any halfway decent mags plus drones MOFO.

-dime
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
  • DarkstalkerDarkstalker King of the Ring Joined: Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    One tip against teleport characters is if you can't quite seem to catch the teleport animation, or if they always cover their approach using an assist so you can't see it, then consider paying attention to the screen.

Almost all teleports towards you (including crossups) will make the screen suddenly shift towards your side or at the very least the camera will zoom in. This is an easy tell for most of the stage, only in the corner will this not really help, unless they teleported away.

This personally helps me a lot against Dormammu players, especially those that Mass Change constantly while calling beam assists.
    "Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?" - Gregory House

mags with drones... WHAAAAAT DO??? omg im so frickin tired of losing to that crap.
    i guess i need to be more dynamic in my neutral game to not fall victim to drones xx disruptor flowchart BS... but i digress for me it seems impossible to beat any halfway decent mags plus drones MOFO.

-dime
    Watch Combofiend vs Fanatiq and see how he deals with it. ;o
    not a lack of knowledge,

- Vince Lombardi

-dime

Depends on your team setup. Easiest way to go about it is just have an assist that will help you blow through it all. Iron Man and Doom beam both have solid durability for blowing through drones and if your character has a projectile also that's enough to eventually win a basic war vs. LMH disruptah and drones. Once you get inside and call Akuma that pretty much shuts down everything since Akuma assist is immune to low and medium durability projectiles once active.

Having a tracking teleport character like Dante/Vergil/Dorm etc. helps but if he stops shootings disruptahs and waits for your port you can get in trouble for that too. If you don't have a solid mid ranged or close ranged assist to blow up the drones it's kinda rough.
  • LegendaryDJLegendaryDJ I'm Done Joined: Posts: 2,771
    I can't block Vergil. Mostly because he's new and I still don't know all his tricks, but still, I can't block him. Rapid Slash and Judgement Cut look like they start up exactly the same to me, so I don't know where he's gonna hit me next. Combine that with a Strider assist, and I'm pretty much dead from the get go. Unless I touch him. I touch him, he's dead.

Also, with Strider and his ouroboros in X-factor, is it better to pushblock the madness and hope for the best, or regular block? Which one is less likely to get you opened up?
  • KayEyeDeeKayEyeDee Play what you like. Joined: Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    against strider, you definitely want to push block because if your pushing when he teleports, it instantly pushes him back to at least midscreen regardless of which side he teleports on. and when the character is mid screen as opposed to right on top of you, its much easier to tell which way to block.

oh, and try not to jump. most striders get people by just wavedashing under them repeatedly, which is impossible to block.
  • Nini HeartNini Heart Red Pill Joined: Posts: 6,609
    Trish's/Wolverine's dive kick.

Akuma's tatsu

Zero's lightning>buster

How to deal with them:
    Pray to whatever deity you believe in that you were holding back properly. Oh wait you got crossed up, sorry
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    I ♥ Me
  • vasili0svasili0s Ο ΤΟΛΜΩΝ ΝΙΚΑ Joined: Posts: 287
    Trish's/Wolverine's dive kick. Zero's lightning>buster

Pray to whatever deity you believe in that you were holding back properly. Oh wait you got crossed up, sorry

How bout chicken blocking ? Cutting off the potential cross-up by meeting them in the air.
    " In war, truth is the first casualty. " - Aeschylus

UMvC3: Magneto/Taskmaster/Sentinel
    Hulk snip
    Its funny, I never had a problem with Hulk until I read this

I would always watch his meter and watch what he did until I remembered something (the hard way). That damn OS throw. After I block one Gamma charge, Im not sure if he's gonna do a second and then once Im done thinking Im being thrown into the ground. And then there's always the chance that he might do a second GC into or backwards making me whiff. I actually faced two tonight and the first one was fucking ridiculous bc he was using Haggar assist to keep even the end of his block string safe. And we already know one hit from Hulk = 600k easy. I felt like Capcom was just testing my patience bc I couldnt attack or air dash out without being hit somehow.

My salt is at an all time high right now.

• AceKillahAceKillah EXS of Greed Joined: Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭
    How do I deal with this game in general? I keep throwing it out of my 360 disk tray but at the end of the day it always ends up back in there.
    My whole life they said I was a cheat code, 
    Cause yo chance of playing on my level <0
    How do I deal with this game in general? I keep throwing it out of my 360 disk tray but at the end of the day it always ends up back in there.
    No solution. Although it might help to buy another game to get your mind/hands off of it for atleast a few hours. Me, I pop in Black Ops and just play online for a few hours before going back to this and pulling more of my hair out because apparently even blocking 2-3 seconds before an attack isnt always fast enough online:(

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird F*ck this life Joined: Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fighting against Ryus always annoyed me. I hate that his c.L works as an anti-air. I get blown up by it too much.

Taskmaster has been giving me trouble since Vanilla. I tend to get air thrown by him a lot and I have a hard time pinning down his air throw range.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    Its funny, I never had a problem with Hulk until I read this

I would always watch his meter and watch what he did until I remembered something (the hard way). That damn OS throw. After I block one Gamma charge, Im not sure if he's gonna do a second and then once Im done thinking Im being thrown into the ground. And then there's always the chance that he might do a second GC into or backwards making me whiff. I actually faced two tonight and the first one was fucking ridiculous bc he was using Haggar assist to keep even the end of his block string safe. And we already know one hit from Hulk = 600k easy. I felt like Capcom was just testing my patience bc I couldnt attack or air dash out without being hit somehow.

My salt is at an all time high right now.
    haha, don't over think it. Just put it like this, these are the options a hulk player has. Do your thing but just put what I said into consideration, since these are his choices. Watching his meter constantly would actually distract me too so don't do that. Theoretically, if you were good at multitasking and were able to play and constantly look at the meter you'd be able to handle every thing Hulk can dish in those situations but that just isn't human.

Essentially what I'm trying to tell you is that you can't play your game if you're always looking at the opponent's meter. Focus on your game but understand your opponents game as well. Know the match up. When the opportunity arises you'll know what to do instinctively/naturally because of your familiarity and knowledge. Don't look for the opportunity, in this situation wait for it to come to you, and when it does you should know what to do. (You wouldn't know what to do if you didn't have the knowledge of what to do in that situation, get it?) "Oh snap, this Hulk just Gamma Charged and landed dead in front of me and didn't cancel into anything, let me punish this bastard!"

I'd help you with the match up myself but I don't think you have an Xbox.

Revision of that segment:
    - Although Hulk has pretty intimidating blockstrings if you're patient enough you can punish anything he throws. If he cancels his Stand H and follows up with a Gamma Charge and has meter to cancel the Gamma Charge what you should be doing is blocking, but if he doesn't punish him when the animation finishes. (With a projectile or super if he ends it by dashing back or a full combo if he ends it by dashing in front of you) Oh yeah, don't push block the gamma charge (if he's meterless) if you're going to punish it because you'll be too far if you do.
    not a lack of knowledge,

- Vince Lombardi
  • NissanZaximaNissanZaxima Joined: Posts: 7,686
    For Dantes that spam J. S into hammer.... if you are at midscreen just dash under right after the J. S so you mess up their input and get a sweet punish. Been doing this for awhile and it works wonders.
    XBL: NissanZaxima
    Twitter: NissanZaxima18
  • Nini HeartNini Heart Red Pill Joined: Posts: 6,609
    I'm still working on anti-zero and anti-wesker tech atm.

Give it up!!
    I ♥ Me