The Rap Thread: News, Reviews, Rants & Opinions: Volume 9 - Yes, we know "Hip Hop"

Comments

• El Chupa NegroEl Chupa Negro WALKING PARADOX Joined: Posts: 3,426
    you sure?

I don't mean Jay-Z

I mean hov the god. When he actually had EVERYONE convinced he was da 2nd Gawd mc.

But srsly. Get some Pun.
    I got pun nem Im talking like late 80s to 95 acts
    Jeet Kune Do was all about using what worked and discarding the crap. Fei Long is crap... discard him. A real Jeet Kune Do man plays Dudley.-xS A M U R A Ix
  • bmckaybmckay Sword/Triplets/Dog/Raoh Joined: Posts: 3,398
    Man, it would be funny as shit, but at the same time terrible if niggas started dressing like Kool Moe D and them niggas like they're bringing that shit back.

I would quit life immediately.
    "...and everything I say comes natural, and it's a thing of beauty like a Alicia Keys' face"
    -Robert Leroy Parker, 1902
  • DrfatalityDrfatality Dapper Don Joined: Posts: 5,167
    So I'm tryna listen to more east coast rap I need an oldies essential list and a current list.Im familiar with wu jay, big l (nas) ,big l , biggie etc. should I start with showbiz and ag and kool g

Black Moon-Enta Da Stage
    Smif N Wessun-Dah Shinin
    OC-Word Life
    Cella Dwellas-Realms and Reality
    Da Bush Babees-Gravity
    OGC-Da Storm
    Heltah Skeltah-Nocturnal
    Blahzay Blahzay-Blah Blah Blah
    Nine-Nine Livez
    Nine-Cloud Nine
    Smooth The Hustler-Once Upon A Time In America
    Kool G Rap-4,5,6,
    LL Cool J-Mr.Smith
    Mobb Deep-The Infamous
    Mobb Deep-Hell On Earth
    Gravediggaz-6 Ft Deep
    Naughty By Nature-Poverty's Paradise
    Heavy D-Blue Funk
    Heavy D-Nuttin But Love
    Onyx-All We Got Iz Us
    Large Professor-The LP
    Brand Nubian-One For All
    Brand Nubian-In God We Trust
    MC Lyte-Ain't No Other
    O.C.-Far From Yours
    Showbiz & AG-Runaway Slave
    Showbiz & AG-Good Fellas
    Shades Of Brooklyn-EP
    Lords of The Underground-Keeper's Of The Funk
    =========
    enjoy man!Ive been bumping Naughty's Catalog lately,Naughty is slept on in the album department,I think they were in that zone on Poverty's Paradise and 19 Naughty 9:Nature's Fury.
  • King-SunKing-Sun The Perfect Rushdown Joined: Posts: 763
    TI joint sounds dope...

i was looking vids to get my range of motion back in my knee,and this girl is banging,the black chick:

yo I need that chick in my life :D
    The rent Is too damn high....
    I know im late but a good song to end the year with

• GRAH GRAAHH!GRAH GRAAHH! Joined: Posts: 477
    I told yall to put Drake in the new threads title...

:::MEANWHILE:::

How do we feel about suburban white girls who obviously grew up influenced by hip hop, and incorporate that into their pop music? I'm not talking about that Kreyshawn shit, but more along the lines of the white girls that have been given accepted into black culture like Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani and Fergie? This new girl Karmin I really dig her style she got her own little lane right now.

And secretly she NICE lol.

• maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,498 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    karmin can get it. fuck. i will find this girl and wife her....shes from mass and i want to put it in her sooo badly lol.

gwen stefani never really incorperated hip hop into her style really. i think black people just have a serious no doubt guilty pleasure...plus those eve joints def helped haha.

watching that karmin vid makes me hear alot of gwen in her.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    I think we need to quit giving passes to them we got broads thinking they can just borrow bits and pieces and keep it moving.Rock doesn't just give passes to folks we shouldn't either
    Jeet Kune Do was all about using what worked and discarding the crap. Fei Long is crap... discard him. A real Jeet Kune Do man plays Dudley.-xS A M U R A Ix
  • TheMaidenMashaTheMaidenMasha Joined: Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    No Doubt started as a Ska band (mash-up of reggae and punk). So it was a reggae influence rather than a hip-hop influence but hell starting in the late 90s everybody was throwing a little hiphop into their sound.
  • NandoNando 1337 Joined: Posts: 3,530
    She can and will get fucked but its just a time waster
    those songs I only like the beat and I'm board of lil waynes 1+1 = 2 rap (example: I go to church, forgive me for my sins, excuse me for being a christian.) haha
    That chick singing those songs does nothing for me, its like, watch my impression of lil wayne.

Hip hop to broad of a genre now
    you have soooooo may types of rappers bundled in hip-hop/rap that is dilutes it

Big difference between Gwen (solo) and No doubt.
    No doubt is SKA (genre of punk) and its nothing like that chick.

ps... shout out to file sharing on AIM :D

my fav combo Is Fierce into Fierce. #GGOP Good Game Play on ....Party On...

Ska used to be a genre of Jamaican music wasn't really punk til like bad brains started incorporating it into their sound of I reall right
  • KzohKzoh Ladies Love Cool Kev Joined: Posts: 6,341
    Pale white girls used to turn me on, not anymore, gotta have some color, I'm more particular on the looks of a white chick than a black chick.
    Flow is Key
    Epidemic_> no broad is shitting on me son
    Ska used to be a genre of Jamaican music wasn't really punk til like bad brains started incorporating it into their sound of I reall right

No Doubt started as a Ska band (mash-up of reggae and punk). So it was a reggae influence rather than a hip-hop influence but hell starting in the late 90s everybody was throwing a little hiphop into their sound.

I think in america, You will find it under Punk, just like you will find drake under rap/ hip-hop next to the wiz kalifa, the willow smith, and Run's son

Music changes, it was more punk for a while. (especially if you include global bands

Anyways, I find Gwens' music to have more meaning behind it, this chick is ok for now

ok?
    y'all in here talking about smashing ole girl, I'm stating my opinion of her, chick is ghostly white.
    Flow is Key
    I think in america, You will find it under Punk, just like you will find drake under rap/ hip-hop next to the wiz kalifa, the willow smith, and Run's son

Music changes, it was more punk for a while. (especially if you include global bands

Anyways, I find Gwens' music to have more meaning behind it, this chick is ok for now

depends on the record store...bigger chains have never had a ska section. alot of them dont even have a punk section it'll generally be listed as rock.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • Ika Zuchi No KamiIka Zuchi No Kami dat Dun Dun Joined: Posts: 1,246
    yo. who got that new TIP mixtape? shit go hard.
    :u
    Right
    and I could care less... I didn't know it had a jamican back ground but it got fused with punk music (bands like SkA- P)

Which brings my back to point of Hip-hop -Rap not being diverse enough
    the difference between those 2 if there was one is gone to me
    y'all in here talking about smashing ole girl, I'm stating my opinion of her, chick is ghostly white.

I could care less about her skin if her titties, ass, face, body is toned up brah

yo. who got that new TIP mixtape? shit go hard.
    i did, and i was hella surprised by it. tip def came back with all guns blazing.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Right
    and I could care less... I didn't know it had a jamican back ground but it got fused with punk music (bands like SkA- P)

Which brings my back to point of Hip-hop -Rap not being diverse enough
    the difference between those 2 if there was one is gone to me

I could care less about her skin if her titties, ass, face, body is toned up brah
    chick is regular imo. more for y'all. :tup:
    Flow is Key
    Yes, my wife and I would both smash chick.

On topic, Hip-Hop is dead. Rap is too broad of a genre. It's too varied. There is no template for what rap should be anymore. You got garbage niggas leading the sales and dope niggas spending 3 months to go gold on an album that's been anticipated for however many years. A nigga like muffinhands Aubrey or J.Victim doesn't deserve to be in the same category as a Joe Budden or Saigon or Kendrick Lamar or even Jim Jones.

Real shit, we need to set up some fucking sub-genres for this shit. Do like rock did with metal, death-metal, black-metal, alternative, punk, indie, etc.
    "...and everything I say comes natural, and it's a thing of beauty like a Alicia Keys' face"
    Theyre all boring. Drake, Saigon, Budden, all of them. There is nothing youll hear in a rap song that hasnt been said a million times in a million ways. Thats why its dead. Honestly, shit needs a break for like 3 or 4 years.
  • GRAH GRAAHH!GRAH GRAAHH! Joined: Posts: 477
    karmin can get it. fuck. i will find this girl and wife her....shes from mass and i want to put it in her sooo badly lol.

gwen stefani never really incorperated hip hop into her style really. i think black people just have a serious no doubt guilty pleasure...plus those eve joints def helped haha.

watching that karmin vid makes me hear alot of gwen in her.
    WHAAAAT?

Off the top of my head.. Gwen Stefani has worked with Swizz Beatz, Damien Marley, Sean Garrett, Eve, Lady Saw, Pharrell, Slim Thug, Andre 3000, Akon, Dr. Dre, Dallas Austin, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. Sampling Isley Brothers and Louchie & Mitchie?

Both her solo albums give me a white girl whos influenced by hip hop. Dont sleep on Gwen, she OG white girl. She even dresses like a chola sometimes. Fergie's just now getting her stripes.

Both her solo albums give me a white girl whos influenced by hip hop. Dont sleep on Gwen, she OG white girl. She even dresses like a chola sometimes. Fergie's just now getting her stripes.
    ]
    pretty sure pharrell produced her solo effort.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • YMDSLTSACYMDSLTSAC Joined: Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yes, my wife and I would both smash chick.

On topic, Hip-Hop is dead. Rap is too broad of a genre. It's too varied. There is no template for what rap should be anymore. You got garbage niggas leading the sales and dope niggas spending 3 months to go gold on an album that's been anticipated for however many years. A nigga like muffinhands Aubrey or J.Victim doesn't deserve to be in the same category as a Joe Budden or Saigon or Kendrick Lamar or even Jim Jones.

I think the sub-genre idea is actually a good idea. I don't mind Nicki Minaj doing her thing, just don't pass it off as hip-hop.
    Theyre all boring. Drake, Saigon, Budden, all of them. There is nothing youll hear in a rap song that hasnt been said a million times in a million ways. Thats why its dead. Honestly, shit needs a break for like 3 or 4 years.

Sadly this also might be the case. I said in the old thread that hip-hop might have to fall back like Jazz, and Blues did and let a new genre emerge. The problem is society is so homogenized now that I don't even know if we are even capable of creating something new and fresh.
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
    -Buddha

"Don't let it happen to you like it did to me, I was a black zombie."
    There's nothing left at the point to say that hasn't been said a million times. Joe Budden at least stays current by rapping about current events. Throwing punchlines related to the NBA lockout, niggas going to jail, new movies, etc. lol.
    I think we need to start scrutinizing and funneling talent more we need to do more scribble jams, djing contest , poetry slams etc. if we do that then shit will get way better instead diluting our shit lets purify it. We live in the age were research and communication is at an all time high it's easier to make a dj or rap contest now than ever. If all the major blogs created tournaments that are purely freestyle and did poetry jams n shit niggas would learn how to be better song writers and better des with an ear for beats and growth. Niggas could make a hip hop evo if they wantedk
  • ShervinShervin 09'er Joined: Posts: 1,994
    shit i dont hear many rappers rap about their pcp addiction and depression (Budden) and Saigon doesnt even rap about violent shit anymore (for better or worse)

to ME... its not WHAT theyre rapping about.. but HOW they do it. Gibbs raps about the stereotypical rap topics (drugs guns hoes etc) but the way he does it and how he phrases it lyrically is what makes him special.

edit: i mean shit... OBVIOUSLY everything has already been rapped about. if you wanna hear some outlandish shit you never thought of go listen 2 canibus lol
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

__

I've been told I'm entertaining in Battlefield and my roommate and I often get in fist fights over Nba 2k, watch here:
  • YMDSLTSACYMDSLTSAC Joined: Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I been on that blaxploitation tip lately.
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
    -Buddha

"Don't let it happen to you like it did to me, I was a black zombie."
    I need that movie now
    Even "how" rappers are rapping has become stagnant. Theres only so many flows, so many ways to rap you cant name me someone now and not have 3 other dudes who do the same kinda style.
    Gibbs and Saigon are fresh as hell imo.
  • Legendary HoamaruLegendary Hoamaru Draxx them sclounst Joined: Posts: 2,954
    Eh, I've never been bored of Rap. You just have to listen to other genres. There is only so much you can diversify in one genre, hell that is why it is a genre. You could say this for any of them. Who is really innovating a genre right now?

A Coss and Gibbs track. Coss' Revelations mixtape has been in rotation for a minute.
    P.O.P Hold it down ~ Donna Goudeau

XBL: Legend Hoamaru
    NNID: LegendHoamaru
  • axeman61axeman61 My Baby Blue. Joined: Posts: 4,739
    ^True. I'm into whatever catches my ear, so I haven't soured on anything just yet. If I was a true "insert genre here" head, I bet I'd be at a dead end too (I shred through music). I think you just have to switch things up a bit and come back.
    "I want to find an honest [president]. Some guy who's just going to get on TV and be like 'Look, in order for this whole thing to work, at least two-thirds of you need to just go to the beach and walk into the ocean.'"
    -Bill Burr.
  • Syke1Syke1 I leave you with photographs; pictures of trickery Joined: Posts: 12,667 mod
    I've been delving into more unknown Dungeon Fam. Is Witchdoctor worth a listen?

I've really been into xx, Ifan Dafydd, Purity Ring, James Blake and Star Slinger. Ive never been bored of rap. Ya just gotta look for the weird ish. I bet nobody hear has heard that Exmilitary album... Frankenstein is kinda dope too
    I got pun nem Im talking like late 80s to 95 acts
    IMHO Beasties deserves a spin or two.
    I don't think Karmin is her name but the group's. And you know her producer is her fiancé right? Lol. She bad tho but to get her you might have to play more instruments than him. And in that All of the Lights vid he plays like 6 things lol
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

I Can Catch Wreck All Day Whenever
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

OK, he finally has my attention...

I respect this guy's musicality foremost, he knows how to use a good beat. A perfect example of something different without being retarded and wack.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!

IMHO Beasties deserves a spin or two.
    I don't think Karmin is her name but the group's. And you know her producer is her fiancé right? Lol. She bad tho but to get her you might have to play more instruments than him. And in that All of the Lights vid he plays like 6 things lol
    wow 6 damn.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    40 Cal is that nigga,he sampled the JG Wentworth commerical

http://justdipset.blogspot.com/2012/01/40-cal-i-need-my-money-feat-jg.html
  • Syke1Syke1 I leave you with photographs; pictures of trickery Joined: Posts: 12,667 mod
    OK, he finally has my attention...
    why didn't you before? He had me last year at Look Out for Detox.

There were some mixed receptions on that beat personally I loved it. But in the age of pounding kicks, light 808 snaps are out and some found tge horn to be annoying. I think they failed to realize that his wording and bobbing & weaving through the horns is why.
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

I Can Catch Wreck All Day Whenever
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    why didn't you before? He had me last year at Look Out for Detox.

There were some mixed receptions on that beat personally I loved it. But in the age of pounding kicks, light 808 snaps are out and some found tge horn to be annoying. I think they failed to realize that his wording and bobbing & weaving through the horns is why.

The first time I heard anything from him was the BET Cyphers, and I was impressed but not blown away. I actually took time to listen to his music today and my respect grew.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
    wait people actually take bet cyphers seriously? But mind you I haven't watched a BET award show since the first one