The Rap Thread: News, Reviews, Rants & Opinions: Volume 9 - Yes, we know "Hip Hop"

Comments

• thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm kinda surprised. Not gonna stop bumping that last tape, but damn Drake! Say it ain't so!
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Wait so what happened something about Meek and Drake? Both suck dick, no flow, no bars.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • SF09ersSF09ers #1 Daigo Fan Joined: Posts: 846
    I can't believe most people dont care that dude doesn't write his own raps. As a hardcore hip hop enthusiast I think it is shameful and I am disappointed in the average rap fan.

• a15kkoa15kko Joined: Posts: 5,992
    lol really disappointed? it ain't that serious
  • DukeCDukeC Ultimate Waifu Joined: Posts: 4,468
    Drake is not a real rapper, he is more of a rapper/pop singer hybrid, so if he does have a ghost writer it doesn't make him lose any credibility as a rapper, as far as real rap music he never had any, that and he still has no bars lol.

Can't agree with that. He has a couple bars sprinkled here and there throughout every album.

He doesn't bring that consistent heat though.
    Nintendo Network ID: DukeC318
    PSN: DukeC101
    Capcom Fighting Network ID for SFV: SarahWalker
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I've only heard some of his songs, never heard a full album so maybe I'm jumping to conclusins, though I did hear like half of if you're reading this it's too late whic hwas pure garbage sonically and lyrically IMO up there with any random Iggy or Nicki song. Mind linking me Drake spitting bars?
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • Syke1Syke1 I leave you with photographs; pictures of trickery Joined: Posts: 12,669 mod
    edited July 2015
    Shut up Zoo you are just hating. Aubrey has lines. Dreams Money Can Buy, Jodeci Freestyle, Light Up, Lord Knows, Tuscan Leather, 6PM in NY, 5AM in TO, 9AM in Dallas, Goodnight & Goodluck thats just off top.

Can Drake rap? Yeah. Did this shitf fuck up his claims of being the best this gen? Yeah.
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

I Can Catch Wreck All Day Whenever
  • Syke1Syke1 I leave you with photographs; pictures of trickery Joined: Posts: 12,669 mod
    edited July 2015
    @GomuGomu stop bitch lurking/sneak disagreeing and tell me how Jodeci Freestyle doesnt have lines

Drake was always hit & miss but when he hits it its an RBI.
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

• ShogunZShogunZ When's DBZ? Joined: Posts: 2,011
    Drake is not a real rapper, he is more of a rapper/pop singer hybrid, so if he does have a ghost writer it doesn't make him lose any credibility as a rapper, as far as real rap music he never had any, that and he still has no bars lol.

Negro, you crazy as fuck. Drake has plenty of songs where he goes in.

And wtf is a "real rapper". Like, that is pure rhetoric: it doesn't have any tangible meaning. There's a very distinct line between "I don't subjectively enjoy this man's content" and "It's not real *insert genre*".

Saying the former is fine.

Saying the latter is stupid.
    PS4 Now Playing: Destiny 2, Warframe, Skyrim
    edited July 2015
    ^Finally someone rational. How yall nignogs let @ShogunZ show yall up?

You guys showing your true colors. No actual counter arguments. Only empty scoffs.

• Dj Hyper KidDj Hyper Kid The Nati Kid Joined: Posts: 5,504
    does it really matter if he has ghostwriters though? I mean ultimately no one cares. His fan base wont care.

I mean I am by no means a Drake fan at all, actually I can't stand the nigga, but so what if he has people writing some of his rhymes. I don't think his entire catalog was written for him.
  • The EpidemicThe Epidemic Archduke Caramel Adonis Joined: Posts: 9,956
    woah woah woah..this nigga Drake dont write his own shit?? Bad enough they had the nerve to put him with legit GOATS on that new sprite campaign with the lyrics. Now this comes out??
    God's favorite ©

edited July 2015
    I mean ultimately no one cares.
    Thats the disgusting part. I don't wanna hear anyone complain about the deterioration of the culture again. Can miss me with that. Im not one to plead with summoning the gatekeepers (some traditions and stigmas do need to go) but this is Emceeing right here. And it's sad because Aubrey can spit when he wants.

Oh yeah @Hawkingbird @GomuGomu @dn0s your opinions equal dumpster juice until you guys actually state your claims :pensive:

• Dj Hyper KidDj Hyper Kid The Nati Kid Joined: Posts: 5,504
    Syke1 wrote: »
    I mean ultimately no one cares.
    Thats the disgusting part. I don't wanna hear anyone complain about the deterioration of the culture again. Can miss me with that. Im not one to plead with summoning the gatekeepers (some traditions and stigmas do need to go) but this is Emceeing right here. And it's sad because Aubrey can spit when he wants.

Oh yeah @Hawkingbird @GomuGomu @dn0s your opinions equal dumpster juice until you guys actually state your claims :pensive:

Honestly that is why it is so hard for me to listen to a lot of stuff now. Its like coming up in the 90s you had to be sweet. The competition is way too fierce. That time has gone. I mean look at when Rick Ross got exposed as officer Ricky, no one cared. Musical integrity isn't nearly as prevalent as it once was.

I have been listening to so much music (mainstream and underground) that it is really hard for me to be surprised by anyone out now. Because its like I've heard it all before, but now its just a younger generation. I am pretty sure our elders felt the same way about the stuff we listen to.
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,752
    ^Finally someone rational. How yall nignogs let @ShogunZ show yall up?

You guys showing your true colors. No actual counter arguments. Only empty scoffs.

When has it ever been different?
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    lol niggas sayin drake aignt a real rapper. wtf is a real rapper? nigga literally changed the game with so far gone. gtfo with that real rapper noise
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • D'Nyc3D'Nyc3 *Insert Star* Joined: Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Remember when Drake was on Funkmaster Flex and cracked out the Blackberry?
    Beastcoast INC '2015'
    -Latest Videos:
    youtube.com/user/Beastcoast

• maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    D'Nyc3 wrote: »

sure...what about it?
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 645
    My bad, honestly was scrolling on mobile and didn't even notice anything until I saw this notification. Removed the disagree
  • DukeCDukeC Ultimate Waifu Joined: Posts: 4,468
    edited July 2015

Naw, I ain't that mad at that. Fraudelent to the spirit of what a freestyle is yeah, but if you have writtens you ain't put in a song yet spit them joints. As long as its fire, most won't care.

The only real corny shit is if they spit actual song bars, then claim it was a freestyle (Drake may have done that, can't remember, but I know a lot of cats besides him have). That's wack, and you immediately get your card pulled if you claimed you freestyle on the daily like that.
    Nintendo Network ID: DukeC318
    PSN: DukeC101
    Capcom Fighting Network ID for SFV: SarahWalker

• D'Nyc3D'Nyc3 *Insert Star* Joined: Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    And Bobby Shmurda charged for contraband LOL
    Beastcoast INC '2015'
    -Latest Videos:
    youtube.com/user/Beastcoast

• BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,552
    And Bobby Shmurda charged for contraband LOL

Bruh watch them just serve this nigga in court. Dummy should've just took those years. Wtf. Stupid is as stupid does.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    Hell even Boosie took a plea deal in 09 and his money situation was much straighter than Bobby's.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
  • jimmy1200jimmy1200 Joined: Posts: 8,874
    Bobby shmurda, so you just gonna get a perjury charge, weapons possession, and contraband charge while already locked up, and on top of that, your girl got arrested for smuggling it in for you. She a stupid bitch for that anyways. lol. You 18, you havent even started life yet girl, and you already getting charges like this for a bum nigga who aint getting out anytime soon.

Rap so dumb and backwards, but i understand the front everyone has to put up. Bobby, you got knocked, hold that shit. If you bail this nigga out of jail, you dumb as fuck, and aint getting none of that money back. lol

LEMME GET DAT!
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Astro has always been that kid, raw talent that he's honed since his tweens. This why Drake isn't even worth arguing about.

I've never been into the whole giving passes for graduating from bad to mediocre, not when you have genuinely talented dudes on the back burner who don't have the same level of promotion. I hate this whole "check out so and so weaksauce rapper's 'Kaioken bars'" shit to give credence to wackness. Not when truly hungry cats like this exist.

No BlackBerry required.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
    Exactly, dude seems like he has the stage presence of a mushroom in a damp corner. And Sway gave him some easy beats that he could barely stay on. Sway always likes to promote the youth but I thought I was the only one that wasn't feeling that weak sauce freestyle.

Vince Staples got a similar monotone voice but his bars knock and he stays on beat. Y'all should see Vince on sway.
    edited July 2015
    Vince is amazing. Best rapper this gen by a 50cal shot.

Im just saying yall niggas just putting Drake's bars on 9th tier for no reason when he is a 3rd string rapper. I give credit where credit is due. Stop hating.
    I heard what circulated, let's get to the bottom of it/
    I told 1da send me something and I got it covered/
    Somehow always rise above it/
    Why you think I got my head in the clouds on my last album cover?/
    The game is all mine and I'm mighty possessive/
    Lil Wayne could not have found him a better successor/
    Every shot you see them take at me? They all contested/
    Allen Iverson shoe deal, these niggas all in question/

Been observin' the game and felt like I've seen enough/
    Let's drop a tape on these niggas then we'll see what's up/
    Yeah, boy, you rappin' like you seen it all/
    You rappin' like the throne should be the three of y'all/
    "Best I Ever Had" seems like a decade ago/
    Decadent flow and I still got a decade to go/
    Oh please, take it ease, where's the love and the peace/
    Why you rappin' like you come from the streets?/
    I got a backyard where money seems to come from the trees/
    And I'm never ever scared to get some blood on my leaves/
    Phantom slidin' like the shit just hit a puddle of grease/
    I cook the beef well done on the double with cheese/
    Special order for anybody that's comin' for me/
    Shit you probably flinch if somebody sneeze/
    You see they got me back talkin' like it's just 40, Oli, and me/
    Cuttin' all loose ends, I be the barber for free/
    I'm almost at four minutes going off on the beat/
    Feel like I'm in the Malibu that had the cloth on the seats/

And on top of that it's getting harder to eat/
    Rappers downgrading houses, putting cars on the lease/
    To think labels said they had a problem marketing me/
    He got really good at bragging facts these past few years

Not feeling Staples.... Hit me with his best track.

edited July 2015
    All of Summertime '06. Nigga dropped a double disc debut. Nobody fuckin with kid. He always had lyrics and structured songs used to be the hardest thing for him. But he changed thatbin the last year

If you want bars...
    SOON AS I CATCH THE VIBE, NIGGAS GON FETCH THE HEARSE!

@Phantom Angel he was rappin crazy off of topics Sway just threw to him. How you not feel that? He on some Lupe/Em/King Los shit. Innately talented wordsmith

Idk.... I just wasn't feeling the flow or delivery. The wordplay/metaphors I usually look for just weren't present and the things he was saying weren't hitting with me. That was only a Sway freestyle, though. I'll go through your last post and see what's really up.

Was banging on that block, I really seen it/
    Went from bitches on WIC to bitches that's bulimic/

Gun shots, let 'em know the game changed
    Never let no white girl call me by my slave name/
    A 12 gauge in the champagne buick and I use it/
    Fuck this music, I'ma make a nigga's brains hang/
    We do or die, do it all for the beef/
    Guess the nigga just don't hang far from the tree/
    Strang fruit, grey coupe, brown rag on the seat/
    Chipped tooth when I bit the gift sent from Eve/

So I'm on my own, god sent for me/
    65th 'til I RIP, my squad symphony/
    Symphony of my sorrow, no hope for a better tomorrow/
    Hope for big booty bitches inside the fucking Bellagio/
    Money coming like a fucking ferrari go/
    All off the audio, pain on my mamas soul/

shaking_head_disgust_keanu_reeves.gif

I'm not fucking with it...

edited July 2015
    I guess he is only built 4 cuban linx ice rockin niggas

"My teacher went and called the bitch/
    Granny threw away my 64 and broke all of the cartridges/
    Fuckin cunt/
    Now I cant do shit but watch the Partridges/
    And aim at unsespecting dogs to fix my sloppy marksmenship/"

I feel like I'm missing something, because I'm not seeing what's so special about these lyrics. You're gonna have to tell me exactly what you see in them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file