Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

The Rap Thread: News, Reviews, Rants & Opinions: Volume 9 - Yes, we know "Hip Hop"

Comments

• CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 6,362
    One of my fav tracks off Paranoia: A True Story. Interesting thing is P2 has a song directly addressing Corey and his relationship w/ Dave. I like the narrative web he's weaving together.

CTG wrote: »
    thurst wrote: »
    Tetsuo & Youth is whatever. Def not fucking GKMC or DAMN, imo. And "woke" is some boujee nonsense that wannabe uppity niggas say to make themselves better. Being "woke" didn't stop Lupe's dumb ass from getting bodied by O'Reilly on the facts, not as bad Mos Def getting bodied by Christopher Hitchens but almost.

That sounds more like Lupe hate than an unbiased, well thought out opinion - so I'ma leave it alone. Not worth wasting the time.

Agreed. I don't think Lupe as a person is some paragon of intellect and virtue, but he doesn't need to be to make good music, which, at the end of the day, is why I listen to any artist's album. There's no way in hell Murals, Prisoner 1&2, Chopper- and much of his entire catalog can't be just "whatever" when Kendrick has been taking very similar routes conceptually. It's one thing to say you don't like a certain artist, and Lupe hasn't made it easy to like him at some points in his career, but I find it disingenuous when an individual's unmistakable talents get downplayed simply because of having personal foibles; meanwhile, actually untalented/ gimmicky rappers get a ton of passes for all the truly dumb nigga shit they do just because fans like their vapid trendy club music. Chuck Berry was a creep who recorded women taking dumps in his restaurant stalls, so now I can't like Johnny B. Goode? Is he retroactively a talentless hack who didn't help usher a new American genre of music?

As an avid fan of both artists, I can easily say Lupe Fiasco is an ace lyricist and incredibly gifted at crafting coherent musical concepts- with some of the most profound contemporary hip hop albums of this and the last decade. Even if I wasn't a fan of his, I would at least have to give him that. There are many hip hop artists that I can't listen to because I'm not a fan of their content, but I still show respect when it comes to their craft.

Bomani Jones addressed this very thing on his podcast a few months ago. He was saying how everyone has an artist that they give a pass for behavior they don't agree with. Obviously he used R. Kelly, James Brown, etc as examples. His point being, don't point the finger at this or that artist and call them trash b/c you don't like their real life behavior, then turn around listen to James Brown's music.
  • axeman61axeman61 My Baby Blue. Joined: Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 17
    Don't mean to start any fights here, but from someone who puts Mural in his top 10 songs EVER, does Kendrick have something close to that? I'm purely asking to pad out my catalog here; haven't listened to much of Kendrick's stuff outside of DAMN and TPAB.
    "I want to find an honest [president]. Some guy who's just going to get on TV and be like 'Look, in order for this whole thing to work, at least two-thirds of you need to just go to the beach and walk into the ocean.'"
    -Bill Burr.
  • SlurmzSlurmz I got John Blaze shit. Joined: Posts: 853
    I feel like I'm the only one who thought DAMN was underwhelming.
    "So what's the reason for the hating, niggas with dreads/Calling they self gods with white girls named Caitlin/And I'm cool with interracial dating, but I ain't about/To hear no fucking speeches cause I wanna have some bacon" - Phonte
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,933 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Slurmz wrote: »

You're not the only one. I can only listen to DNA, Humble, and Pride at this point. Also the reverse album is far less coherent than Tetsuo & Youth. This is not to disparage the album but it just hasn't held up for me. I can listen to Section 80. forever though. I still hope for a spiritual sequel to that album.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
    Slurmz wrote: »

I listened to it a few times and liked it, but I never really went back to it all that much. It was one of those albums I really wanted to like, b/c everyone was so hype on it - but it didn't hit me that much. In 2017, my most played albums were probably "Paranoia: A True Story" (Dave East), "Jungle Rules" (French), Friday on Elm St (Fab & Jada), Issa Album (21 Savage), and then a lot of songs from random albums.
    My most played album of 2017 wasn't even a rap album. It was Thundercat - Drunk followed by Oddisee - The Iceberg.
    "So what's the reason for the hating, niggas with dreads/Calling they self gods with white girls named Caitlin/And I'm cool with interracial dating, but I ain't about/To hear no fucking speeches cause I wanna have some bacon" - Phonte
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 17
    Tetsuo & Youth is whatever. Def not fucking GKMC or DAMN, imo. And "woke" is some boujee nonsense that wannabe uppity niggas say to make themselves better. Being "woke" didn't stop Lupe's dumb ass from getting bodied by O'Reilly on the facts, not as bad Mos Def getting bodied by Christopher Hitchens but almost.

That sounds more like Lupe hate than an unbiased, well thought out opinion - so I'ma leave it alone. Not worth wasting the time.

I said T&Y is a whatever album, how is that hate, unbiased or otherwise? I listened to it a few times and wasn't moved at all.

As far as the rest of what I said, you can go watch the interview yourself and see him predicate his whole argument on falsehood and get dismantled by O'Reilly.
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
  • ShogunZShogunZ When's DBZ? Joined: Posts: 2,011
    axeman61 wrote: »
    Don't mean to start any fights here, but from someone who puts Mural in his top 10 songs EVER, does Kendrick have something close to that? I'm purely asking to pad out my catalog here; haven't listened to much of Kendrick's stuff outside of DAMN and TPAB.

He doesn't have an 8 minute song with no hook packed with bars, but he certainly has songs on par with Mural lyrically.

PS4 Now Playing: Destiny 2, Warframe, Skyrim
    To me DAMN was fire to me which was kinda surprising because TPAB was almost beyond wack made even worse considering how everyone was slurping it when it came out.

My most placed album of 2017 (that actually came out in 2017) was probably the Migos album (lol). There's a ton of stuff that I didn't listen to that I gotta catch up on, though.
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 9,143
    The first rap song I can recall being into,

2 Kings 2:24
  • SF09ersSF09ers #1 Daigo Fan Joined: Posts: 852
    edited January 18
    xiceman191 wrote: »

Black Thought still killing it.

Really good breakdown of Black Thought's freestyle. I watched a lot of reaction videos to his freestyle and most of the shit went over people's heads. If yall didn't know Illmac is literally the GOAT battle rapper been winning since battle rap was actually freestyles. He just bodied JC and Iron Solomon.

• white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,933 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 18
    SF09ers wrote: »
    xiceman191 wrote: »

Black Thought still killing it.

Really good breakdown of Black Thought's freestyle. I watched a lot of reaction videos to his freestyle and most of the shit went over people's heads.

"...I'm a bull inside a china shop..."

Fucking Monster!

I've said it many times before and will continue saying it, Black Thought is hip hop incarnate. Richard Pryor is the comedian's comedian, Black Thought is the rapper's rapper. Dude is lightyears ahead of 99.9% of the game.

Speaking of which, I was just listening to the Tragedy Khadafi compilation album The Kuwait Tapes featuring- Black Thought, Pete Rock, Noreaga, Mobb Deep, Dead Prez, Canibus, Nas and more... pure fire:

Mumia 911 is sick:

It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,571
    I considered MF Doom to be more of your favorite rapper's favorite rapper. I'm pretty sure most people who actually do their thing in the studio appreciate just how difficult it is to pen and rap like Doom.
    "Rock abandoned Neesa there like you were gonna abandon your son and wife and live alone with your TV"~Akuma-HAX
    edited January 18
    I think Doom is more of a late-Millennial/ Gen-Z rapper's favorite rapper because of his meme/geek-ish quality and esoteric references strewn throughout unique rhyme scheme. Which is why rappers like the late Capital Steez, A-F-R-O, and Earl Sweatshirt will cite or pay homage to him. But if you hear guys like Q-Tip, Busta, Pos, and Nas mention a rapper of high caliber Black Thought is who is often cited.

On my second playthrough of Paranoia 2 (P2) and this album is a problem. It took East a while, but between Paranoia, Karma, and Paranoia 2 - this dude is perfecting his lane.
  • TheMaidenMashaTheMaidenMasha Joined: Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 18
    DOOM is for the rap message board nerds of the early 00's some rappers just happen to fall into that category. I dont think he has as much clout in the game as Black Thought when it comes to Traditional emcee's. El-P was in that same category as DOOM, only a certain type of underground head could really appreciate, but RTJ happened and blew the fuck up.
  • debsdebs lowering property value Joined: Posts: 5,110
  • FDreamFDream Joined: Posts: 1,036
    To me DAMN was fire to me which was kinda surprising because TPAB was almost beyond wack made even worse considering how everyone was slurping it when it came out.

My most placed album of 2017 (that actually came out in 2017) was probably the Migos album (lol). There's a ton of stuff that I didn't listen to that I gotta catch up on, though.

@thurst sounds beyond wack because your taste is lacking
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 9,143
    Lol post more of that trash Aussie hip-hop that we all ignore.

I'm Australian and Aussie hip-hop sucks. We have a few good artists but none of them are household names even here in Australia. Guys like Urthboy, Omar Musa and Jimblah. All the Aussie rappers that are known are bad or basically don't even make hip-hop any more (Hilltop Hoods).
    2 Kings 2:24
    I know it's shallow, but I just can't mesh with any rap not made here in the states. Soon as I hear an accent I'm done.
    "I want to find an honest [president]. Some guy who's just going to get on TV and be like 'Look, in order for this whole thing to work, at least two-thirds of you need to just go to the beach and walk into the ocean.'"
    -Bill Burr.
    Dizzee Rascal's latest album Raskit is the only foreign album I've listened to that I've enjoyed. Certain aspects of delivery simply don't work with accents, French rap most notably.

SAS were dope back in dipset's run IMO. the tape was fire.
    slick rick of course was dope too and he had a foreign accent.
  • GimpyGimpy Joined: Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So apparently Ja Rule and 50 resurrected their beef. That nigga Ja called him "ticklebooty".
    C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
    edited January 19
    It's crazy how 50 has money and shit, yet still subsists off of beef. Didn't they squash that years ago? He's the one that actually started it, saying he would "put Ja to bed" if he saw him in a recent radio interview. What we see now is Ja responding. I'm wondering what Ja is doing, as he's supposed to be laying lower than low after those 3 lawsuits from Fyre Festival.
    -Bill Burr.
    It's crazy how 50 has money and shit, yet still subsists off of beef. Didn't they squash that years ago? He's the one that actually started it, saying he would "put Ja to bed" if he saw him in a recent radio interview. What we see now is Ja responding. I'm wondering what Ja is doing, as he's supposed to be laying lower than low after those 3 lawsuits from Fyre Festival.

50 doesn't know how to promote anything without attacking what's hot at the moment.
    Ja Rule ain't been hot for over a decade though. What was even the point of starting shit?
    -Bill Burr.
    I was talking in general. The Ja shit was physical, 50 ain't gonna let that go. Any chance he gets he takes shots at Ja
  • odinodin arch enthusiast Joined: Posts: 16,170 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ja been asleep for 15 years, forgot he was buried in 2003.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I want the throne! Joined: Posts: 27,376
    Ja Rule ain't been hot for over a decade though. What was even the point of starting shit?

Cam'Ron and Mase became a news story for like a week when they started beefing. Maybe Ja wants to try his luck.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    Lol 50 ain't ever deaded his beef with Ja, people just stopped bringing it up but him and Irv were going at it all summer in interviews over their TV deals at BET, Irv even said that the reason he decided to go at 50 was cuz Ja told him "Fuck that nigga" at which point he started taking shots on IG.
  • 2-D2-D Praise BasedGod...Hand Joined: Posts: 1,025

And seeing as how Idk which one is agreeing or disagreeing, imma just piggyback your shit and say thurst is dumb for that one.
    PSN:ForeverKing901
    3DS:3969-5077-5320
    WSHH is like a genital herpes to the black community - Gimpy
    Youtube: http://m.youtube.com/user/infamoustechnique
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 37,012 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    odin wrote: »

Nah this nigga makin that nostalgia money. Been on tour with fine ass Ashanti.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • FDreamFDream Joined: Posts: 1,036
    That fyre festival ain't help either
    honestly, i hope ja wins and i'm from jamaica queens.
    i have never fucked with bullies and never will. i will always root for the underdog and i will always feel warm and fuzzy inside when the bully gets smacked in the mouth and stomped out.
    they are so annoying.
    50 is tired.

one step forward and 3 steps back at all times.

he's a cancer IMO and he, along with jay, fucked the scene in ny up for a long time. we are just now somewhat recovering.
    also charlamagne is a complete ass and a white supremacist. everything he said to that girl on the breakfast club is exactly some of the same types of stuff his so called cracker ass crackers would say to us.
    could it all be in your head?
    you have to focus on your hair.
    colorism doesn't exist.
    doesn't understand the african diaspora.
    doesn't comprehend what he hears when given facts.
    doesn't understand that america doesn't have the monopoly on black ppl.
    doesnt understand that its actually the opposite. the caribbean has a ton of black ppl.

how the fuck do you live in nyc and not understand or know that black ppl from latin america exist?
    not mixed.
    not one parent is black and the other is "spanish"
    black.

him and envy can go to hell.
    those cracker ass crackers should both give themselves the donkey of the day.

its so ridiculous to me that black ppl don't even know themselves. we don't even know who we are. we are that divided by white supremacy that we question the blackness of black ppl. what on earth.

ok rant over. but you feel me. 50s a snitch and a bully and dj envy and charlamagne are fake woke.

also fuck trump.
    and the rest of the gov.
    and the system.
    and white supremacy which the system is based off of.
    and fake woke black ppl with platforms.

ok now i'm done.
    ok i'm not done. also with the amount of white washing in latin america and dr in particular it is a godsend that this lady wants to use her platform to speak out against the indoctrination and brainwashing that has occurred at the gov level and trickled down into the population.

its highly offensive to suggest its all in her head when haitians imigrants were getting LYNCHED in dr as of like last year.
    when haitians should be celebrated
    because dominicans would not even have their freedom without haitians.
    THEEEE (in my best triforce voice, hail, by the way i used to be in empire arcadia back in the day) fuck out of here.

ok now i'm done for a few but i'll be back. fuck this fake woke shit though. get with us or get out of the way because we want ours without the bullshit.
  • odinodin arch enthusiast Joined: Posts: 16,170 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    maxx wrote: »
    odin wrote: »

Nah this nigga makin that nostalgia money. Been on tour with fine ass Ashanti.

Yea... Pain is Love 2 also sold 3200 copies. So where's he going on tour? Back alleys?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file