Rocket Raccoon Matchups Thread

Tomo009Tomo009 Joined: Posts: 2,268
We really needed a matchups thread so I eventually decided to just make it myself haha.

Ok so I'm not the most amazing player, but I can at least keep the thread updated!

I'll reserve a couple of posts as there will probably end up being a lot of spoilers in this thread.

Comments

• Tomo009Tomo009 Joined: Posts: 2,268
    reserved
    final reserve
  • saitoryu20saitoryu20 Joined: Posts: 188
    Whoot! Finally lol Not too sure on match ups still learning him. I think some of his good match ups maybe against characters that don't do well with against zoning. So characters like Ghost Rider I think kinda have a hard time dealing with the digging and it's actually sneaky. Bad match ups I would probably say Wesker because stubby limbs kinda get the best of him then again I'm not so great at fighting Wesker. But Raccoon has good match ups.
  • duffathduffath Joined: Posts: 221
    I haven't really thought about good or bad matchups yet really. I think his low life means that he's less likely to have as favourable matchups as others. I'll try and ponder matchups and see if anything really comes out of it. Most of the time I feel his lack of range really makes him suffer against the vast majority of the cast.
    My name is Legion for we are many-

Doof
    I haven't really thought about good or bad matchups yet really. I think his low life means that he's less likely to have as favourable matchups as others. I'll try and ponder matchups and see if anything really comes out of it. Most of the time I feel his lack of range really makes him suffer against the vast majority of the cast.
    I agree with this stubby limbs make it really hard so you have to really go with mixups and like just surprise your opponent and resets online just make me sad lol
  • drowsy22drowsy22 chunanigans Joined: Posts: 464
    Hmmm I dunno man, I think there are specific characters that give him trouble and his other "bad matchups" are most likely due to RR being an underdeveloped character.
    Has anyone noticed any trends though? I feel like teleport characters can give him a rough time, but characters with effective zoning and heavy chip are especially bad news for RR (Dorm matchup is like 8-2 lol). Basically anyone that can render RR's space control useless. Depending on how the meta game develops, this could be a good or bad thing. Theoretically, a Wesker/Wolverine heavy metagame would favor RR. A Dorm/Magneto heavy one would hurt him.
    Of course a lot of this could change as RR is fleshed out. We'll see.
    SF4: Chun
    SFxT: Chun/Julia
    Yeah it's still too early to say cause all we know is that he can work outside space control. I'm looking into TK Spitfire for mixups but teleporters I think are always troublesome. I think you can do stuff against them but it's tough lol
    I dunno, no Dorm has given me too much trouble yet, Dorm's space control is slow (well it's based on reads) and risky. RR is small and incredibly fast, as long as I keep mobile I've been able to stay out of his zoning. Not to mention he's so tall so easy to control space against, you can practically c.H him from full screen. I think it could be 5-5.

I think sentinel is far and away the easiest matchup for me, Sentinel can't do anything until he is right on top of RR and that just shouldn't happen. He's a huge target which makes hitting him with any of RR's projectiles super easy and if they think they can start to lame you out with c.H, you can burrow under it. I'm not sure what Sent is supposed to do against RR really. I would say this could be even 7-3 or 8-2, RR can pretty much make Sent's options redundant outside of Hypers.

I do think that teleporters are the worst, particularly the DMC twins. Wesker I actually don't think is as bad, his teleports don't track, he is not TOO fast and he's predictable. It's not too hard to run around him until you can set something up, I do think it's in Wesker's favor though. Early estimate would be 4-6 for wesker. Perhaps as bad as 3-7 or 2-8 for Dante/vergil.

Some others that have really been giving me trouble though are Magneto/Doom and Morrigan, not really sure how I get around their zoning, even with RR.

Numbers are obviously extremely early at this point, but at least there is discussion.
    I dunno, no Dorm has given me too much trouble yet, Dorm's space control is slow (well it's based on reads) and risky. RR is small and incredibly fast, as long as I keep mobile I've been able to stay out of his zoning. Not to mention he's so tall so easy to control space against, you can practically c.H him from full screen. I think it could be 5-5.

I think sentinel is far and away the easiest matchup for me, Sentinel can't do anything until he is right on top of RR and that just shouldn't happen. He's a huge target which makes hitting him with any of RR's projectiles super easy and if they think they can start to lame you out with c.H, you can burrow under it. I'm not sure what Sent is supposed to do against RR really. I would say this could be even 7-3 or 8-2, RR can pretty much make Sent's options redundant outside of Hypers.

I do think that teleporters are the worst, particularly the DMC twins. Wesker I actually don't think is as bad, his teleports don't track, he is not TOO fast and he's predictable. It's not too hard to run around him until you can set something up, I do think it's in Wesker's favor though. Early estimate would be 4-6 for wesker. Perhaps as bad as 3-7 or 2-8 for Dante/vergil.

Some others that have really been giving me trouble though are Magneto/Doom and Morrigan, not really sure how I get around their zoning, even with RR.

Numbers are obviously extremely early at this point, but at least there is discussion.
    I agree with this. Dorm or Doom haven't given me trouble if anything I beat out Doom half the time when he goes for Plasma Beam or Finger Lasers. Iron Fist I also notice can't do much to you either and you can beat him out at times. I agree that the match is in Wesker's favor but once shades are off it's like for me personally I just can't touch him but that's probably just me lol Teleporters do seem to be the big issue at the moment. It seems that a lot of the time they have to be close to RR to hit unless they have a real strong zoning game.
    Yeah I forgot Iron Fist, that's another funny matchup, he better have some good assists. His approach is pretty much fully ground based and he has only one (or two?) not so great lows, he is pretty easy to just lame out as RR which isn't even RR's strength.

Wesker's glasses do complicate things, mostly because of the speed increase though.

I also don't think Doom is easy, at least I really struggle against him. He really limits RR's mobility, he has the beam which pretty much dominates RR on the ground (can it be burrowed under?) and the Photon Shots obviously, at least RR is too small for the laser gun (haha). Rocks also cover him well if he wants to dash cancel trijump in for his own offense. I struggle quite a bit against him, though Magneto is even worse, just can't have any breathing room against that guy.
    If during an assist and crossup teleport mixup my opponent does a crossup teleport it results in a happy birthday a lot of the time for some reason.

I think it goes for the crossup while someone like vergil is doing a crossup teleport but I think the engine shifts vergil's position first then turns him round.

Teleporters are definitely a pain because they get past all of his control easily and indeed evade/punish him for trying to teleport cross-up on them. That said I think dormammu is better than 8-2. I would say it was sort of even if there wasn't a big health differential. Neither can set up zoning on the other well at all because they can both teleport and assist telecrossup is a common opener for both of them. It comes down to the priority of normals as the main determinant for me and Dorm has some rather annoying normals with huge, long-lasting hitboxes. At least he is absolutely massive and a bit sluggish though. That helps RR keep on top of him.

Doom is a weird one, Plasma is good vs RR even though he can crouch it. RR can get in pretty easily with teleport though. I'm not sure about the normal photon shot but the ground version of photon array seems vulnerable to :m: teleport, little dead-zone RR can burrow straight into. Due to the poor hitstun on his attacks I think RR has a tricky time converting off of air-hits, but on the converse of that log trap can shut down air-dashing characters pretty well if you can cover yourself and pre-empt their rush-down and such.

Doof
    I do think Dorm is a pretty even matchup, his teleport isn't as bad as others (what's up with all the Vergil happy birthdays when I clearly teleported first) and is very telegraphed. I think RR actually has the advantage in the zoning game, Dorm can't catch the little guy easily and RR can hit him from pretty much anywhere, but up close Dorm has the upper hand with his gigantic normals and higher health/easier damage.

I should try teleporting in on Doom more, it always feels so risky. If I mistime it I am met with Doom's foot and that spells instant death right there.

The one time where sent can become really annoying is when is right above you, it is hard to catch a breath when he is already rushing you down with those piston kicks and spikey bats, but overall his huge size makes for a very easy target for rocket and he is probably the easiest to do the boulder loop on (I made it above 530k meterless today, woo XD) I just need to watch out for HSF a bit more, I've been caught by it a few times.
    You mentioned Sent and I thought I'd point out Sent Drones assist is good vs RR, it can stuff crossup teleport. Real annoying to have to deal with a team running that.

Doof
    RR can dig under Doom's Beam I've done it too much that's it's just silly
  • unkozuwari44unkozuwari44 we play marvel because we're all masochists Joined: Posts: 44
    You mentioned Sent and I thought I'd point out Sent Drones assist is good vs RR, it can stuff crossup teleport. Real annoying to have to deal with a team running that.

No way, man. Just play defensively. If the drones arent called right in your face, you can pretty much just stand underneath them and you don't have to respect any mixup. s.L and c.M will stuff most if not all trijumps. The same thing also kind of applies to Dooms beam, hawkeye arrows, unibeam, and a lot of other common projectile assists, you just have to crouch. c.L doesnt stuff as many things as s.L does, but you just still get our amazing c.M which also beats all tatsu assists clean.
    No way, man. Just play defensively. If the drones arent called right in your face, you can pretty much just stand underneath them and you don't have to respect any mixup. s.L and c.M will stuff most if not all trijumps. The same thing also kind of applies to Dooms beam, hawkeye arrows, unibeam, and a lot of other common projectile assists, you just have to crouch. c.L doesnt stuff as many things as s.L does, but you just still get our amazing c.M which also beats all tatsu assists clean.
    I'm starting to think cM. is his best button. Has range and look like it has priority too.
    I'm starting to think cM. is his best button. Has range and look like it has priority too.
    It really is. I'm interested to hear how to stuff trijumpers with s.L though, that has never worked for me, I always get beat out.
  • unkozuwari44unkozuwari44 we play marvel because we're all masochists Joined: Posts: 44
    well if they dont have an assist I just stand and mash s.L lol seems to be working well against magneto and storm whether they go high or low. It also works against dormmamu trijump L and sometimes against S, but not all the time. I havent really tried it against doom or super jump H/S from magneto but it seems like they dont do that anymore since his dashes got slowed down. c.M seems like a better button all together tho, but you can't stand and mash it lol
    It probably doesn't look like it does because Rocket is short but if they Tri-Dash close to you then yeah standing L should work like Deadpool's but like just close range stuff. Even though it has short range s.L has good priority.
    yeah I think some exploration of this fabled c.m needs to be done at some point to find out if it is as good as everyone says it is.

Doof
    I kind of wish someone in the tourney scene played Rocket Raccoon all I hear from people is "This character isn't good or This character doesn't have potential" Which I call BS upon.
    I kind of wish someone in the tourney scene played Rocket Raccoon all I hear from people is "This character isn't good or This character doesn't have potential" Which I call BS upon.

I'd class him very much as a finesse character because he's got so much potential in theory you need to never make mistakes. I think it's a combination of low life along with a sort of unconvential play-style that requires a lot of practice and knowledge.

I'd agree that in some ways it's bullshit, but he's in the same category as viper. With viper it's "you can do this really technical combo for x amount of damage or you could pick wolverine and do abc abc abc super for the same amount"

With RR it's "you can pick this character who can do tonnes of strong and nifty mixups and stuff or you could pick someone who only ever needs one reset"

I know his damage potential is actually quite decent, but the amount of places it can drop really doesn't work in his favour. My friend once stated something along the lines of "When your RR works it's a thing of beauty" which is really cool, it's just the major problem with RR is playing to a level where it works.

If you want RR represented and no-one in the tourney scene is doing it then it could be up to an unknown to show up to a tournament and smash the crap out of people on a stream for people's opinions to change. I know it'd never be me because my execution is just so shoddy but I'm sure there are plenty of really good RRs out there who just aren't being seen.

I think he definitely has the potential to be one of the most unpredictable characters in the game in terms of mixups, resets, tricks, traps and all that.

Doof
    I'd class him very much as a finesse character because he's got so much potential in theory you need to never make mistakes. I think it's a combination of low life along with a sort of unconvential play-style that requires a lot of practice and knowledge.

I'd agree that in some ways it's bullshit, but he's in the same category as viper. With viper it's "you can do this really technical combo for x amount of damage or you could pick wolverine and do abc abc abc super for the same amount"

With RR it's "you can pick this character who can do tonnes of strong and nifty mixups and stuff or you could pick someone who only ever needs one reset"

I know his damage potential is actually quite decent, but the amount of places it can drop really doesn't work in his favour. My friend once stated something along the lines of "When your RR works it's a thing of beauty" which is really cool, it's just the major problem with RR is playing to a level where it works.

If you want RR represented and no-one in the tourney scene is doing it then it could be up to an unknown to show up to a tournament and smash the crap out of people on a stream for people's opinions to change. I know it'd never be me because my execution is just so shoddy but I'm sure there are plenty of really good RRs out there who just aren't being seen.

I think he definitely has the potential to be one of the most unpredictable characters in the game in terms of mixups, resets, tricks, traps and all that.
    Exactly lol That's why I get upset when I encounter other players at this game because half the time it's people who pick Wesker or whoever have simple combos. I agree he's very technical but when he works it's so much fun especially when your opponent doesn't know what to do. I'm like the only person among my friends who play RR and they're normally like "I love seeing you play with the Raccoon it's fun" Plus I enjoy playing the character. But I digress sometimes it's better to let people sleep.
    Exactly lol That's why I get upset when I encounter other players at this game because half the time it's people who pick Wesker or whoever have simple combos. I agree he's very technical but when he works it's so much fun especially when your opponent doesn't know what to do. I'm like the only person among my friends who play RR and they're normally like "I love seeing you play with the Raccoon it's fun" Plus I enjoy playing the character. But I digress sometimes it's better to let people sleep.

Regulars on the tournament scene can make decent/some money off of winning or placing in regular tournaments. Characters like RR and viper are unpopular because they are seen as nothing more than liabilities compared to wesker, sadly if we ever see RR it may be some tourney pro picking him up for the first few matches in a set where he can afford to lose. Think of someone like ChrisG or Ryan Hart. Sometimes they like to pick teams that aren't their main characters and they have a tendency to get beaten for doing so. Then they pick their normal team (or sagat for example) and just dominate again because they're back on a solid team/character. I get part of it is probably wanting to practice other teams, but I think there is some element of trolling/showing off to it "ha ha I beat you without using sagat/level 4 dark wesker" sort of thing.

Sadly not everyone buys into the japanese mentality primarily consisting of "pick a team/character and master it" because winning is more important to a lot of people than that other quality that makes you challenge yourself and pick outside of the top tier because of a fondness for the character or playstyle.

Anyway I digressed a bit there but if you like him then keep repping RR, because if/when someone shows up at a place like evo and dominates with RR and we have to deal with the influx of people coming to this character forum going "omg how i play da coon? lololol coon! lololROFLMAO" we can at least be smug about the fact that we didn't need someone like justin wong holding our virtual hands and telling us what to do to make us come here.

Doof
    Regulars on the tournament scene can make decent/some money off of winning or placing in regular tournaments. Characters like RR and viper are unpopular because they are seen as nothing more than liabilities compared to wesker, sadly if we ever see RR it may be some tourney pro picking him up for the first few matches in a set where he can afford to lose. Think of someone like ChrisG or Ryan Hart. Sometimes they like to pick teams that aren't their main characters and they have a tendency to get beaten for doing so. Then they pick their normal team (or sagat for example) and just dominate again because they're back on a solid team/character. I get part of it is probably wanting to practice other teams, but I think there is some element of trolling/showing off to it "ha ha I beat you without using sagat/level 4 dark wesker" sort of thing.

Sadly not everyone buys into the japanese mentality primarily consisting of "pick a team/character and master it" because winning is more important to a lot of people than that other quality that makes you challenge yourself and pick outside of the top tier because of a fondness for the character or playstyle.

Anyway I digressed a bit there but if you like him then keep repping RR, because if/when someone shows up at a place like evo and dominates with RR and we have to deal with the influx of people coming to this character forum going "omg how i play da coon? lololol coon! lololROFLMAO" we can at least be smug about the fact that we didn't need someone like justin wong holding our virtual hands and telling us what to do to make us come here.
    That's very true lol That's why I hate when that happens when people sleep on characters then one guy blows the scene up. You're right though no one actually sits down with their team they just use them. Like right now I'm like looking at my mixups and using RR with Vergil which doesn't sound all to great but I like my team and it's actually pretty neat when you think creatively at times. It's very true that most players want to win so they just pick the OP guys. Then technical characters basically don't see the light of day
  • DapuffsterDapuffster Joined: Posts: 135
    One teleporter I think RR doesn't mind fighting is Dante. Since the poor guy can only teleport above your head he'll always be vulnerable to the Log Trap. You don't know how many times I've punished teleporting dante's with this attack.
  • drowsy22drowsy22 chunanigans Joined: Posts: 464
    What Dorms are you guys fighting that are trying to zone you? o.O
    No reason to bother keeping the Raccoon out when he can safely put him into a 50/50 from any position. If RR manages to guess correctly, his position is no more favorable. He just has a few more seconds to make something happen or be forced to guess again.
    His ambiguous teleport j.S is 1 touch death and RR has no consistent way of dealing with it (traps are nullified and j.S beats all RR's anti-airs). He's forced to camp out on a spring trap hyper and once he's out of meter he must guess for his life.

I think RR might need to swap assists based on the matchup more so than other characters. His health sorta forces him to minimize risks and tailor his approach to each opponent based on their options.
    SF4: Chun
    SFxT: Chun/Julia
    What Dorms are you guys fighting that are trying to zone you? o_O
    No reason to bother keeping the Raccoon out when he can safely put him into a 50/50 from any position. If RR manages to guess correctly, his position is no more favorable. He just has a few more seconds to make something happen or be forced to guess again.
    His ambiguous teleport j.S is 1 touch death and RR has no consistent way of dealing with it (traps are nullified and j.S beats all RR's anti-airs). He's forced to camp out on a spring trap hyper and once he's out of meter he must guess for his life.

I think RR might need to swap assists based on the matchup more so than other characters. His health sorta forces him to minimize risks and tailor his approach to each opponent based on their options.
    I have like one friend who uses Dorm he be trying to zone you lol But you're right though have to watch the mixups but in most cases it's like why now use H teleport or what you said and use Spring Trap .
  • o0 Jo P xXo0 Jo P xX Joined: Posts: 57
    the dog, and magnus > RR =\
    UMVC3: Magneto/Dante/Sentinel - Team Swagness

Can't deny the drones!
    Well yeah, that kinda makes sense, I don't think Ammy is a horrible matchup though, winnable.
    Well yeah, that kinda makes sense, I don't think Ammy is a horrible matchup though, winnable.

Dunno, big priority hit-boxes and small body size herself? She's bound to be a nightmare when covered with an assist that can tag you to open you up or nullify traps.

While I'm here I wanted to talk about a specific weakness of RR. Controlling the space above him. I feel anyone who has a good move that can drop down on top of RR's head is pretty strong at opening him up because I'm not sure how to combat that.

By means of example I have a friend who plays modok and his strat atm is to super jump and fire angled beams down. When this tags RR it hurts a lot, so I try and teleport to avoid it, but this puts me in range of modok's jumping S which has a big hitbox and modok can airdash to make it hitting a bit predictable.

The best way I have found to deal with it so far is to bait it out at the edge of the range and punish with c.:h: >Wild ripper > Launch but that doesn't help in situations where I'm facing something else similar e.g. dog's big sword slash thing. If I have time to place a net trap that tends to work best, sometimes claymore eats the air normal and I get hit despite that or it tags RR's head first and the claymore disappears. I know there are similar moves from other characters that can pressure in this way and I can't get a feel for a consistent punish/counter to it.

What do all you guys do against that kind of stuff?

Doof
    I do agree Rocket has a problem with characters being directly above him in a situation he can't easily throw. Honestly I super jump around and j.S all over the place, the advantage of that position is it pretty much lets you move anywhere you want. you can hit confirm into a pretty high hitting combo, go in for pressure off a spaced hit or go back with a barrier protecting you. It's one of the reasons I think RRs main advantage is his unpredictable mobility, I like to be high mobile in most situations (stuff like Mad Hopper and H burrow let you stand your ground a lot better). If I have meter I often just lay a mad hopper as they come down as well.
    I do agree Rocket has a problem with characters being directly above him in a situation he can't easily throw. Honestly I super jump around and j.S all over the place, the advantage of that position is it pretty much lets you move anywhere you want. you can hit confirm into a pretty high hitting combo, go in for pressure off a spaced hit or go back with a barrier protecting you.

Can you elaborate on how all this works for you at SJ height?

Doof
    Use j.S while rising basically, it essentially makes a wall of explosions. From my experience people are actually pretty afraid to approach though it and it often lets you move in somewhat safely against some characters. The reason for the super jumps is so that rocket skates down or down forward j.S will combo if it hits.
    Use j.S while rising basically, it essentially makes a wall of explosions. From my experience people are actually pretty afraid to approach though it and it often lets you move in somewhat safely against some characters. The reason for the super jumps is so that rocket skates down or down forward j.S will combo if it hits.

Ahh I see so jump and spam it. Didn't know you could do that. You mentioned high hitting combos, how do you get them all the way down to the ground from sj height with just j.S ? Does the second one induce flying screen into hard KD or something?

Doof
    yeah I guess essentially it is j.S spam but it's a bit more dynamic than straight up repeating it.

You can loop it basically lol, there is a LOT of leniency in HSD at that point as well so it's pretty easy to let them fall a lot between the second jump. I know you loop it 3 times, but I struggle to get the 6th j.S to connect unless I really, really rush it which isn't practical out side the corner. No flying screen, I use c.HS once I land into air series then usually OTG super, it's possible to get a second launch, but again, the air series is tricky with HSD because you probably had to delay some stuff.
  • StriderAaron360StriderAaron360 Insanity = Superpower Joined: Posts: 233
    Here's a particular situation that has been bothering me: Spencer. He can stay in the air for a long time, he can zipline over the ground and instantly strike you so mostly no traps aside from Hopper, and blocking is pretty useless against him when he has long range assists. At least for me anyway.
    UMVC3 Teams: (Rocket Raccoon, Strider Hiryu, Doctor Doom), (She-Hulk, Doctor Doom, Lei-Lei)
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperAaron360/videos?view=pl
    XBL GT: Aaron of Konoha
    DeviantArt: Super-Aaron-360
  • lamunesslamuness Joined: Posts: 720
    I actually think that he has more trouble with Zero. I was playing against a friend yesterday and hadangeki + buster / teleport spam I couldn't get through, just eat chip damage to death. Trying to teleport behind Zero is a deathwish, and I think the only way to deal with it is to reverse troll and just stay underground. :(
    Here's a particular situation that has been bothering me: Spencer. He can stay in the air for a long time, he can zipline over the ground and instantly strike you so mostly no traps aside from Hopper, and blocking is pretty useless against him when he has long range assists. At least for me anyway.
    If he gets out an assist, it's just like your teleport + assist so you can only block. Otherwise c.H is pretty great against him, hits a nice angle where it keeps him form zipping unassisted. Otherwise j.S rocket skates all over the place. You have more air mobility than him.
    What do you guys usually do against Taskmaster? In almost all of my matches, I tend to fare pretty badly against him. Task players usually jump and shoot horizontal arrows down at me, which pretty much shuts out all of RR's traps. And if I try to call out Doom for missiles, It's a potential happy birthday situation. Up close, Task players bombard RR with a barrage of Charging Stars and Spidey Swings coupled with a lockdown assist. If I just sit there and block, I'll eventually get either air grabbed or ground grabbed into down Legion Arrow or some form of a combo, which usually spells death because of RR's low vitality. Charging Star can also nullify all of RR's traps. I don't know about Hopper, though. I think that's the only one that works against him. Maybe the flame pool from Oil ball as well because of the beam durability points.
    UMVC3 Teams: (Rocket Raccoon, Strider Hiryu, Doctor Doom), (She-Hulk, Doctor Doom, Lei-Lei)
    If he's jumping and arrowing, he can't block. Teleport and punish it. You have enough time on reaction. The only thing he can do is down arrows super, but if you're teleporting behind, he might not get the input correct. Another thing you can do is frustrate him by dropping a net trap, burrowing, and not going anywhere. I usually don't have much problems against Tasky, you just can't let him get his momentum started.
    Tasky doesn't really need momentum. He is pretty much the only character in the game that an play solid footsies. Also he could punish that teleport AND you trying to raw net trap like that unless you make sure you always use assist, but tat isn't asp feasible on reaction.
    I always felt like I had enough time to teleport / backdash to get out of the way if I see a jump arrow. If anything, RR has a low enough dash that you can get under them like how you should when fighting against Cap. Maybe it's just inexperience with the match up on their end.
    What about Deadpool? My friend thinks you can basically stay in the air even though I think if you're smart and stay patient (which I suck at by the way in this game) you can eventually catch him with spitfires and log
  • KuaresKuares Bolder Lupus Joined: Posts: 15
    Lol, spiderman can stay in the air and there's nothing you can do about it. He's the main reason I picked up Dante for Jam session but anyways. From what I've played of my friends Deadpool(backed up by H. Missles), Rocket won't win at fullscreen. Happytrigger(low) beats grounded spitfire with two bullets to spare or it cancels each other out if both are out(I think). Grenade destroys the log/2 spitfires(yeah both) but log beats guns. Teleporting in isn't normally an option since I use Jam session.

Both Deadpool and Rocket are 2nd on our respective teams so matches typically start full screen. Deadpool normally just jump back guns, call Doom assist and then does grounded guns when Rocket is locked down by missles on the ground, or throws a grenade if Rockets' blocking in the air. To combat that, I jump spitfire twice at mid height when he's doing ground guns or shoot spitfire on the ground when he's doing jump back gun. Once he's either grounded or dealing with ground spitfires, there's the opportunity to move into midrange. If I mess up and Rocket gets hit by standing guns, he can hyper for like half health and then X-factor->teleport if he really wants to kill Raccoon.

Once in mid range, he starts doing a lot more superjump grenades to push me back. All I know is that this is where log works. If I'm lucky, I can wild ripper->log trap and catch both DP and Doom and punish with R&R(only punish I can since it has to diffuse the grenade) while using Dante as my AntiMissleSystem. But if I only hit Doom/Log gets beat by grenade,I have to make sure I'm not on the ground when the missles drop because if Rocket is locked down mid-screen there, Deadpool can teleport in and do that cartwheel cross-up and then kill Rocket. It's pretty easy to get into close range after the missles though.

Once in close range it's pretty random. Normally he just blocks and if I'm feeling awesome, I can get in and wild ripper->Jam session+M teleport->Boulder unblockable but if not, I just wait for him to throw out a cr.L and then knife it(check the meter for Lvl3 counter and if so, be ready to 'counter' super).

~

Random notes, at no point will I ever try to super punish Doom assist full screen. Typically as Doom's missiling, Deadpools in the air waiting to do his own super and even if you wait for Deadpool to be in range of the hyper(Chaotic flame>R&R) Missles are still there and Deadpool can teleport in after stun and get a combo anyways. If I read a superjump, that leaves an opening for Dig teleport and time to do damage to Doom. Sometimes I can bait him into supering with Dante assist then punishing with M teleport, but the conditions for that are no X-factor and only 1 meter, typically too risky though.

Hope that wasn't too scatter brained.
  • ifbpwnstarifbpwnstar Captain 'Murica Walking Wiki Joined: Posts: 1,199
    My issue has been characters like Zero and Vergil who can move around on reaction to zoning and have superior range with normals. If i try to get in and mix up i just get smacked away easily with any decent normals and the zoning fight is very risky if i whiff. Also doesn't help that there huge hit boxes when tyring to go in after me easily take out any mines i leave to hide behind.
    UMvC3: Cap (SS) | Dante (jam) | Vergil (RS) and Vergil (RS) | Morrigan (meter) | Dante (Jam)
    SC5: Astaroth
    SC4: Ivy, Rock

My issue has been characters like Zero and Vergil who can move around on reaction to zoning and have superior range with normals. If i try to get in and mix up i just get smacked away easily with any decent normals and the zoning fight is very risky if i whiff. Also doesn't help that there huge hit boxes when tyring to go in after me easily take out any mines i leave to hide behind.
    Personally, I lay down a Mad Hopper whenever I can get a hold of some meter. It keeps Zero in his place. After that I just camp on top of it until Zero runs into it or tries to zone me with Sougenmu. When the zoning starts, I wait for him to get a little comfortable while throwing out constant Hadangekis and busters. Then I teleport behind him and punish his recovery on the Hadangeki. This is really the only way I have been able to somewhat deal with Zero. Other than that I tag in Doom or Strider to take care of him.

As for Vergil, I like to bait out his teleports. If the Vergil is really aggressive, Mad Hopper puts him in his place. If I have no meter, I lay a net trap and H burrow around it. Usually Vergil will summon swords and teleport, only to get caught by the net trap. You could also try shrapnel trap, but net trap has worked better for me because Vergil's spiral swords and huge normals nullify the shrapnel trap. (you have to be very careful though, because net trap has some lengthy recovery.)
  • OreoTheWolfOreoTheWolf Joined: Posts: 50
    Rocket destroys Sentinel. The robot's zoning is too slow and often too tall to give Rocket any problems, meanwhile Rocket's c.H can be used to pop him in the dome any time they try pressing a button. The only real mobility option Sentinel has is flight, and Rocket has a big piece of wood. If Sentinel can manage to dodge the log, then he has to worry about landing on traps while desperately trying to catch Rocket's vastly superior mobility.
    I agree with all of this, but what about Sentinel with Hidden Missiles?
  • OreoTheWolfOreoTheWolf Joined: Posts: 50
    what about Sentinel with Hidden Missiles?

I'm not super familiar with this matchup. I haven't come across it often. Usually when dealing with zoning plus missiles, I manage to get both the point and assist character with Log Trap. I'm not sure if Sentinel's projectile game would eat the log though, so maybe someone with more knowledge on the matchup than me can answer that.