Fighting game lingo you find annoying

NissanZaximaNissanZaxima Joined: Posts: 7,686
As streams get more popular it seems as if players have become more robotic in their vocabulary and just seem to copy one another. So what key words, phrases, or memes do you find particularly annoying and wish would just disappear?

Personally atm the term fraud or fraudulent has been getting used way more than a cheap hookers snatch. Not only is it annoying, but I dont even know what fraudulent is anymore because it seems anything and everything is considered this by everyone.

The 8.95 meme was funny for the hour it started, then it just became stupid as shit.

I use to hate the term MAHVEL when MvC3 first came out but that one has since died down a bit (since people have realized MvC3 does not classify as Mahvel).
XBL: NissanZaxima
Twitter: NissanZaxima18
·

Comments

• SlamtasticSlamtastic Joined: Posts: 574
    All non explanatory, technical, or taken from the game lingo.
    ·
  • Da StunnaDa Stunna A True Paradox Joined: Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    Real talk, I always thought the term 'footsies' sounded gay as shit.

I don't know how regular SF tournament attendees can go around saying it with a straight face.
    TTT2: Bruce::Eddy::Steve::Hwoarang::Bob::Leo
    USF4: Dictator::Cody::
    SCV: Astaroth::Nightmare::Pyhrra
    ·
  • PozerWolfPozerWolf Gummies, yum! ;o Joined: Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate the term 'Happy Birthday'.

I know getting 2 characters at once in Marvel 3 is death, but damn, can we think of a better name than 'Happy Birthday'?
    Shit is gay.
    No more pony fanfics. I stream every day since I have no life. Watch it now, slut!

www.twitch.tv/gumms
    ·
  • ShinkuGadokenShinkuGadoken 40%Flashkick Joined: Posts: 660
    Real Talk. <-- That term is fucking stupid.
    EVOLUTION 2013 9th Place Finisher - 40%Flashkick
    Thank you to all of my fans and supporters. Its knowing you guys have my back that I can fight on with so much happiness.

Follow my exploits on;
    Twitter: @40Flashkick
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/andrew.fein.1?ref=tn_tnmn
    ·
  • konkretekonkrete NCV Joined: Posts: 2,380
    Technology. It's such a lazy way of describing what a character can do. And it grinds my gears.
    ·
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭
    - Lamed out/Lame it out: Why is it lame to play a keep away game?

- Broken: People forgot what this word means or don't know its meaning.

- Deal With It: This one annoys me because we say this to everyone who cries about stuff, then when developers cater to them, they throw it right back at us. Hypocrisy much.

- Rare footage of Daigo doing something.

- Free/Stay Free: Don't know why a lot of people use this; I doubt most of these ppl could win a MM against any of these players and you can't do money matches over XBL/PSN.

- Random: Another word people don't know the meaning of.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
    ·
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,759 mod
    All the shit that isn't actually fighting game jargon but just EC slang that all the fuckin dorky stream watching white boys have repeated ad nausea.
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
    ·
  • Ben PerkinsBen Perkins Joined: Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "In the Lab" - I know it has its origins outside of the FGC, I guess, but it still sounds lame as hell. Same for "technology".

Floeface is the best thing ever, though.
    ·
  • NissanZaximaNissanZaxima Joined: Posts: 7,686
    Technology. It's such a lazy way of describing what a character can do. And it grinds my gears.

I should have added this in my original post as I want to pull out my hair when I hear a lot of stream commentators talk about new techonlogy... especially in the mvc3 world...

In the MvC3 world apparently using a different assist for your teleport mix up or using a different assist to extend an OTG combo is considered technology. Blows my mind.
    ·
    Someone mention iPort and iHits?
    ·
  • entrerixentrerix legendary buster wolf Joined: Posts: 1,170
    pringles
    mains: Al Rashid, Zarak, Vertigo, MidKnight
    alts: Ragnar Bloodaxe, Korr, Talon, R.A.X.
    ·
    I love Commentator Steve and all, but he has like 3 names for EVERY MOVE IN UMVC3.

It is bonkers.
    ·
  • Warrior's DreamsWarrior's Dreams 梅原 > Wong Joined: Posts: 1,288 ✭✭
    I find the use of the term "technology" to be incredibly annoying. Technically it is being used in the right sense in terms of the dictionary definition, but it just sounds weird when its not being applied in a non-engineering sense. Its not like you created new software, you've only discovered how to take advantage of the currently existing one.

I think "run-back" is also annoying because this isn't a football game. What's next? When it's the final round, is someone going to say: its fourth down, here comes the hail mary ultra for the win! omg!

EDIT. Turns out run back is already accepted urban slang.
    You shouldn't care about the division between ST and HDR, but rather the message you are sending to tournament organizers if you stop supporting the classic style of Street Fighter II.

Mike Watson's Super Turbo Revival Sunday's Stream every Sunday! Look up "IEBattleGrounds" on twitch tv's website.
    Here is the latest stream:
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    ·
  • ZebsterZebster How's my volume? Joined: Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭✭
    Scrub - because almost no one uses it right.
    3DS Friend Code: 1392-4119-7524
    3DS name: Zebster
    SSB4 main/secondary: Wario/Luigi
    ·
  • KefKef Joined: Posts: 3,112
    Random - Way to explain EVERYTHING the commentators don't know about (which is pretty frequently if girls or top players aren't commentating).

"Mix Up" - James Chen: "Uhh! Nice mixup!." (Player just called an assist and teleported)

Fuck ___ - Any top tier character. Becoming a trend now.

Godlike: I've used it before, and I regret it hard.
    Persona 4:[/B][/I][/U] Main: Akihiko
    If you wanna play some MVC2/Persona/BBCP: PSN: I-Kef-I and KefPringlez

"Don't be nice, it's Marvel son, the origin of hatred. The game ain't about being nice. If you want to be nice play Tea Party Adventures. They go that shit on DS I heard." - Romneto

- Credit for image on avatar to Cindysuke on devianArt. http://cindysuke.deviantart.com/
    ·
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster Party Astronaut Joined: Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yomi, oki, vortex, happy birthday, run-it back (I know this isn't from fighting games but its still fucking dumb), salty
    If you don't realize who this is by now than you'll never know.
    -SH

I hate your favorite game.
    ·
  • b4k4b4k4 Potent Yomi. Joined: Posts: 322
    "Vortex" kills me.
    hihihi: orbit should invest in an air conditioner for t6
    noodleman: yea, trade the horse game for an air conditioner.
    coveguy: yes, cuz ya know, so many ppl want to buy that horse game... -_-
    ·
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vortex and technology for me. Especially vortex, goddamn that shit is stupid and annoying.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
    www.twitter.com/HakethKOTB
    ·
  • TuckTuck Large Member Joined: Posts: 339
    I don't like when people talk at all during a match, it's distracting and disrespectful. It should be more like tennis where you can politely cheer, but only after the point (round in this case) has concluded.
    I wouldn't let you sleep in my room if you were growing on my ass.
    ·
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster Party Astronaut Joined: Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like when people talk at all during a match, it's distracting and disrespectful. It should be more like tennis where you can politely cheer, but only after the point (round in this case) has concluded.
    Comparing fighting games to tennis is fucking retarded. People should be able to get hype and get excited when something indeed hype or exciting happens.
    If you don't realize who this is by now than you'll never know.
    -SH

I hate your favorite game.
    ·
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede Badness At Its Finest Joined: Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭
    meaty attack
    ·
  • VorkosiganVorkosigan AWOOOGA Joined: Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭✭
    Jesus is there any term you people DO like?
    A few years ago (my mother) asked if I beat Justin Wong at Evo. The shame I felt in saying no made me seriously consider suicide right there on the spot. - Viscant
    ·
    Some of these are not lingos BTW.
    ·
  • Sensei RouzuSensei Rouzu Just Another Brotha on SRK Joined: Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭
    cross-ups

Listening to : Nas / Andreya Triana / Mavis Staples / Earthbound OST / L'Orange / Sadistik / MC Melodee

Playing: Drill Dozer
    ·
  • NissanZaximaNissanZaxima Joined: Posts: 7,686
    Some of these are not lingos BTW.

Lingo probably wasnt a good term to put in the title. I just sort of wrote it very fast after reading some posts and the term fraudulent constantly popping up over and over.

I should have said fighting game lingo, terms, and memes that you find annoying.
    ·
  • TomatoPancakeTomatoPancake loudmouth. Joined: Posts: 905
    all of them are stupid. you can't see a headline from iantothemax without seeing "technology" in it, he sounds like a 15 year old that wandered into the room and desperately wants approval. "Get hype" has always been stupid and probably moreso more than any other term because of the mouthbreathing attempt at forced grammar negation. and if any of these terms are said now, it's not by whoever came up with it, so it makes everyone that uses them sound like a plagiarizing faceless retard.
    ·

Dat Mango Sentinal
    ·
  • Caleb_GCaleb_G Joined: Posts: 32
    Do you even have friends that you play with in real life?
    ·
  • zeechzeech Dismember Joined: Posts: 578
    Anyone who posts in this thread, for every term they mention, need to provide an alternative term that is acceptable to them.
    And then we can see everyone else hating on that term too :P
    ·
  • SlamtasticSlamtastic Joined: Posts: 574
    Ones in the instruction manuals of the games in question.
    ·
  • St. MinoritySt. Minority USAF SF Joined: Posts: 147
    -

- Free/Stay Free: Don't know why a lot of people use this; I doubt most of these ppl could win a MM against any of these players and you can't do money matches over XBL/PSN.

I so agree with this one.
    -"Hype" and "get hype"

And "salty." Nothing and no one should be called salty unless they are my McDonald's fries.
    1st PSN: hell-on-dem-hoes
    2nd PSN: Xrainbow_kittyX

"Name something you clench." "Your butt cheeks."
    ·
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I don't mind Justin Wong, it's started to bug me lately when some commentators have used his name as a Verb. And yeah, that "Happy Birthday" thing's just weird. Can't they just call it like a "Two-For" or something?
    ·
  • xEGAxBeastkingxxEGAxBeastkingx Sorry about yo damn luck Joined: Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭
    Godlike
    Free/stay free
    Using low tier/mid tier/high tier to describe something
    Anything that comes out of that James Chen guy's mouth
    Random - what my opponent calls out when I activate Ultra between the time I hear Guile shout "sonicboom" and him actually doing it
    Gamertag - GDxKingofBeasts
    Ultra - Balrog | Rose | Elena
    Saints | Cardinals | Magic | Suns fan
    ·
  • Squire GrooktookSquire Grooktook The Releaser Joined: Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    technology
    shout outs
    calling Mvc3 Mahvel
    Squire Grooktook: 5 dollars extra and you could have had Skullgirls instead of Divekick.
    Squire Grooktook: You are dead to me.
    [UCF]psychoripper: too bad i wanted divekick more
    Squire Grooktook: YOU SUCK
    [UCF]psychoripper: more of my local friends are playing it
    Squire Grooktook: SOCIAL GAMER
    [UCF]psychoripper: shut up
    Squire Grooktook: NEVER
    ·
  • piskooooopiskooooo anime swag Joined: Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Swagless morons with like minor Tourette's pretty much killed swag for me.
    ·
  • SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭
    when people say they've been developing "technology" it reminds me of how the waterboy tells his mom that he's a "water distribution engineer"
    ·
  • TheautophobiaTheautophobia psn: Windsurferash2 Joined: Posts: 5,607
    yomi, oki, vortex, option select, tiers (unless the person is performing at 100%" is that a computer/japanese player" consistency with everything the character has along with the other player doing the same, tiers mean close to shit.)

those as they are always used to flaunt knowledge that the person doesn't have because they use them incorrectly EXTREMELY often, but numero fucking uno

SCRUB | SCRUBBY
    also calling every dropped combo a reset, if thats the case im a reset master.
    [SIZE=14px]╔══════════════ღ☃ღ══════════════╗[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14px]~ ~ I am a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14px]~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14px]╚══════════════ღ☃ღ══════════════╝[/SIZE]
    ·
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Put a smile on that face Joined: Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never liked when derogatory sexual terms are used to describe whats happening. I cringe when someone says that a dude got raped when the other guy won convincingly.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    ·
  • UnshapedOrkRandomNumberUnshapedOrkRandomNumber Far too kinky. Joined: Posts: 735
    Does the Floe face count as fighting game lingo?
    "Mix Up" - James Chen: "Uhh! Nice mixup!." (Player just called an assist and teleported)
    I always thought "mix-up" meant mixing up high attacks and low attacks, while "cross-up" was the term used for left-rights.
    Dat Mango Sentinal
    Actually, every single Yipes joke from that Marvel 2 video or the second Marvel 2 video. They've been repeated ad nauseum by people who aren't funny.

Say what you want about mix-ups, footsies, meaties, or happy birthdays, but at least those mean something; Mango Sentinel is spammed everywhere, no matter the topic.
    ·
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex HARDBody Joined: Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭
    All the shit that isn't actually fighting game jargon but just EC slang that all the fuckin dorky stream watching white boys have repeated ad nausea.

Fo realz son that shit sounds mad corny already, let alone hearing it in person from fat nerds walking around all sweaty with their neck beards and hentai themed arcade sticks. Way to act like a fucking mark.

Also, nowadays everything on the SRK front page is full of lame ass lingo. I just shook my head the first time i heard of "technology". Why is the new gen so lame?
    ·
    Actually, every single Yipes joke from that Marvel 2 video or the second Marvel 2 video. They've been repeated ad nauseum by people who aren't funny.

Say what you want about mix-ups, footsies, meaties, or happy birthdays, but at least those mean something; Mango Sentinel is spammed everywhere, no matter the topic.

Mango Sentinel MEANS Mango Sentinel :<
    ·
  • axsprimeaxsprime Rookie LYNX Joined: Posts: 6
    Scrub - because almost no one uses it right.
    This right here
    meh
    ·
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    "Mahvel" basically used for people who got into mvc2 late or have no idea how to play the game or what they are watching. People who say "it's mahvel baybee" just use it as a way to get hype without actually knowing wtf is going on the screen. Not everything that happens on the screen is crazy.

"blown up"
    "chucking plasma" AKA we from norcal.

"New technology" to refer to new combos or properties for moves or simply new tactics? That's stupid. If anything it should reference a glitch or exploit in the system like DHC glitch, CvS2 roll canceling, Sentinel's unfly mode, something that was not necessarily intended.
    ·
  • ChachiChachi The Masterpiece Joined: Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭✭
    Anything besides proper grammatical context. Fuck you guys for trying to add flavor to my oatmeal.
    "Now I can spend that flight money on gettin some titties in my face"- KC's Notorious

GTs- Chachitown Fair (XBL), ChachiCola (PSN), ChachiPower (GFWL)
    ·
  • orkaorka alpha Joined: Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭
    Vortex
    Technology
    Anime
    Real talk, I always thought the term 'footsies' sounded gay as shit.

I don't know how regular SF tournament attendees can go around saying it with a straight face.

'Footsies' is actually a martial arts term describing fighters vying for position using legs and feet contact, usually in judo, BJJ and aikido. I'm not sure how the term came about in U.S. fighting game scene, and the way it's used in describing fighting games is rather incorrect, but I won't be surprised if it came directly from the martial arts tie.
    ·
  • sorakysoraky Joined: Posts: 223
    I get why some of the words here would be annoying, but what in the world would you call cross-ups and mix-ups if not those? I don't think you can get more condensed than that.
    ·
  • entrerixentrerix legendary buster wolf Joined: Posts: 1,170
    i move to replace pringles with juice
    juice with jazzy
    and jazzy with pringles

i also move to replace swag with sauce
    sauce with boppin'
    and boppin' with creamy

so at the end of the day we have salty cream being the last word in fighting game retard vernacular
    mains: Al Rashid, Zarak, Vertigo, MidKnight
    alts: Ragnar Bloodaxe, Korr, Talon, R.A.X.
    ·
  • AlenthAlenth Joined: Posts: 560
    When people talks about what game is an "anime game" in a derogatory manner.
    VF5: Sarah, P4U: Elizabeth, Aigis, KOF XIII: Elizabeth, Clark, Kyo.
    ·
  • Amazing FunbagsAmazing Funbags The J-Cup Lover Joined: Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -Vortex
    -TOD
    -In The Lab
    -Technology
    -Fuzzy/Chicken Guard(WTF?)
    Boobologist Ph.D
    ·
  • SektorSektor Joined: Posts: 334
    also calling every dropped combo a reset, if thats the case im a reset master.

That's more of a joke really. Especially in MvC3
    Bison Dollars
    ·