1. All game-specific threads go into their respective forums
. There are forums for SFV
, and most other major games
. Use them. Any threads that are NOT put in their proper forums will be locked and the creator infracted.
2. These types of threads belong here
* A game that does not have its own forum or subforum in the strategy zone
* Discussion of mechanics of those games not in their own forum or the strategy zone,
* Discussion of specific aspects of the FG community.
All threads that DO belong here should have clear titles. Titles such as "LOL LOL LOL" or "a new idea" are needlessly ambiguous: make it clear what the topic is about. Ambiguous titles can and will be edited for clarity.
3. These types of threads do not belong here
* Fan Fiction/Wish lists threads
* Anything involving any sort of poll whatsoever (actual polls or "Your Favorite/Least Favorite/best/worst/whatever" threads). (Unless the OP can explain exactly why their thread needs to exist in the OP. If you don't care enough to explain, your thread should not exist. If your thread gets or starts vacuous it's going to get closed.)
* Anything involving your opinions about Smash or any questions about some aspect of Smash. There's a Smash forum here
if you want to learn or know about Smash.
* Generic topics about racism, sexism, bronyism, and other 'isms are fun but not specific to FGD.
* Threads asking us to decide something for you or provide suggestions to you upon any issue of any sort. You being uncertain is not a reason for a thread, it's a reason for you to do some homework.
* Linkspam to other sites. SRK isn't a site for links to other sites: have the discussion here. If you need to link to another site, have the discussion of that content here.
All threads not conforming to this will be locked and the creator infracted.
If you are uncertain about whether your thread belongs here, you might want to simply post it in the Fighting Game Discussion Lounge:
4. Be part of the community
. Do not create a thread until your account has been here for a month. Hang out, visit the Newbie Dojo
, get to know how things and people work. If you REALLY want to create a new thread but are a new account, PM a mod. Low quality or troll threads will tend to get locked without notice. If a thread sucks, you do not need to post that it sucks. Just don't post in it.
5. You get one
shot at somebody. This is a very passionate community and tempers do flare up. If somebody posts an insult, you get one post to reply. Anything further should be moved to private messages. If it continues past this first post, both parties will get infracted on a per posts basis, which can quickly add up to a ban. We appreciate good natured ... "criticism" but these threads are not boxing rings. We will not tolerate any threat made towards any member of this community. Any threats on the forums or through PM will result in banning. Generally, criticism that pertains to the thread will be more tolerated. Outright flaming should go to private messages. Anybody whose contributions solely consist of attacking others will likely be banned: don't make a habit of this. It's a community: act like you're part of it.
6. You get to reply to a derailing comment once
. Derailing can happen naturally in conversation and it is similar in threads. You get one reply. If you want to discuss it further create a thread for it here if it concerns FGD, if not take to GD
. If someone frequently derails threads: Report them and the mods will warn them.
7. Please use the "Flag" button for bot spam (and bot spam only)
. We cannot monitor every thread at all times. It is up to the community to let us know when things are being derailed, when people are creating threads they shouldn't, and when something has deteriorated into a sparring match with insults. For bot-spam, use the Flag:Spam flag. For everything else, PM a mod or "@mod"
; to loop them in. Do not
take things into your own hands. Any time you plan on saying "but he started it" or "did you infract him?", you will be politely ignored. A moderator is typically not equipped to stop all wildfires: that's your job to not be part of them. A moderator can only clean up the mess in the best way they can figure out. Don't make yourself a target for moderator diligence.
8. Do not reply to trolls
: that only encourages them. Responding to trolls will get you infracted too. Also note that someone disagreeing with you is not necessarily trolling: learn to tolerate different views. It's not like everybody always plays Ryu: there are always different ways to approach things.
9. Please use the Ignore function
. If the one shot did not resolve the issue and things did not get resolved by private messages, please simply look away or completely ignore the person willingly or by the functions of the forum. Click on their name on the left. In the popup, click that sexy "Ignore" button. This saves you grief and saves us from being annoyed and you potentially being infracted or banned.
10. Don't derail or metamoderate
. Someone on the internet is always wrong: let it go
. If you feel the need to attack someone, you damned well better be sure to educate them as part of it.
11. If you have a problem with moderation, PM that moderator in a friendly fashion: we are, after all, only trying to help. If you don't like that answer, PM a supermoderator
. We're human and do make mistakes.
Our community is very passionate and there are a lot of great people here. Welcome!
If you have any suggestions or questions as regards these simple rules, please PM me