MLG picks up MK

J.DJ.D Fortune favors the prepared...Joined: Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm surprised there isn't a topic about this.
http://shoryuken.com/2012/02/02/mlg-picks-up-mortal-kombat-for-mlg-winter-championships/

I do have an opinion on the whole Esports debate, but I also believe that the MK community does deserve all the support it can get, and I also think that picking up a non-major game its an excellent strategy to help our communities improve their relationship.

If they picked up KOFXIII next, my head would just explode with happiness :rofl:

Any thoughts?
Twitter: @SRKJD
UMVC3: Spencer/Dante/Magneto
XBL: TRUJD3S

Comments

• jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :coffee:
    I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. http://www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum/ [8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,420 mod
    Sad to say it probably won't last long.
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has chances to go pretty good for the community. Not into MK anymore *last big patch changed things I really dissagree with* but I'm really hoping for the best.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
    www.twitter.com/HakethKOTB
  • scytheavatarscytheavatar Joined: Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭

Pretty much this. I think the MLG guys did say a lot about Namco being supportive and I would be surprised if SCV isn't the next game to be added, and SCV will have a higher chance of being a success. It will be interesting to see what they could do with SCV vs what SCV will perform in EVO this year.
  • ShwafflesShwaffles Joined: Posts: 1,401
    Meh... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEsports take themselves way too seriously.
  • BlackVenom18BlackVenom18 I play to win, not to entertain Joined: Posts: 141
    It feel so strange to hear MLG pick up MK don't you think and love MK
    SFA3:A/V-Ken,V-Sakura
    SFIII : Ken, Akuma,Ibuki,Dudley
    MK9: Johnny Cage,Sub-Zero
    SCV: Yoshimitsu
  • Thatdude8Thatdude8 Joined: Posts: 296
    This is great for the MK community and I think it will do fine. If this works out then it is a good thing for the entire FGC.
    This is great for the MK community and I think it will do fine. If this works out then it is a good thing for the entire FGC.

grey%5E_%5Everdana%5E_%5E0%5E_%5E0%5E_%5ETrue%5E_%5E.gif
  • jasinedwardjasinedward Joined: Posts: 137
    The MK community doesnt do enough to support itself. I'm sitting around @the Michigan Ranbats right now, we have a marval tourny, street fighter tourny, Kof13&SoulCaliber tourny, even a few huddled around a a tiny laptop playing meltyblood. Not one person here to compete in MK. I'm sitting here with the game and nobody is here to play
  • ShinMarukuShinMaruku Juri was always the one to run to her father. :E Joined: Posts: 76
    I see it a good look MK will have some extra energy and momentum to grow. If they get dropped, so what they got a chance if they die after that then that community was never really there.
    Of course they really want Capcom games and i feel this is a move to try to show Capcom to give them a license.
  • thats mind gamesthats mind games fgd scumbags Joined: Posts: 1,102

Yeah, great, I can't hear "fuck" and "ass" on stream anymore. Give me a break dude.
    99% of ppl on shoryuken are neanderthals that like to "learn" how to slam a joystick and buttons around, put this in your sig if you're one of the 1% left that like to use their brain to win at fighting games
    The MK community doesnt do enough to support itself. I'm sitting around @the Michigan Ranbats right now, we have a marval tourny, street fighter tourny, Kof13&SoulCaliber tourny, even a few huddled around a a tiny laptop playing meltyblood. Not one person here to compete in MK. I'm sitting here with the game and nobody is here to play

Maybe its just the state that your in becasue the MK Community in Georgia we take care of are stuff
  • SlamtasticSlamtastic Joined: Posts: 565
    Yeah, great, I can't hear "fuck" and "ass" on stream anymore.
    Sounds wonderful. I look forward to it.
  • thats mind gamesthats mind games fgd scumbags Joined: Posts: 1,102
    Sounds wonderful. I look forward to it.

Thanks for the reply, "deal with it" Pony avatar guy who is too sensitive to hear adult words.
    99% of ppl on shoryuken are neanderthals that like to "learn" how to slam a joystick and buttons around, put this in your sig if you're one of the 1% left that like to use their brain to win at fighting games
  • Marmalade-BeatMarmalade-Beat のヮの Joined: Posts: 450
    Thanks for the reply, "deal with it" Pony avatar guy who is too sensitive to hear adult words.
    Oh yes, people totally say fuck and ass when they're trying to sound mature and sophisticated, rather than expressing emotion and contempt.

Anyway, I wouldn't say good for the community.
    What with the constant patches, and only decent play MLG usually puts out, I don't know.
    Unless they're trying to understand the scene, it will just end up the same way as usual.
    How well did Tekken do in E-Sports anyway?
    のヮの
  • ShinMarukuShinMaruku Juri was always the one to run to her father. :E Joined: Posts: 76
    If the scene grows and is able to stand on it's own better after getting dropped how is that bad?
    I mean Capcom keeps tellin them to fuck off let mlg have it and see that they ain't ready to have fighting games.
  • scytheavatarscytheavatar Joined: Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭
    If the scene grows and is able to stand on it's own better after getting dropped how is that bad?
    I mean Capcom keeps tellin them to fuck off let mlg have it and see that they ain't ready to have fighting games.

He never said anything about MLG being bad for MK, but yeah it will take a miracle for MK not to be dropped after 1 year. Growing a scene isn't a trivial task and I don't see why MK would be an upgrade from the T6 that MLG picked up and ditched away in a short time.
    Tekken had problems before that though.That said just a wee bit more exposure could do us good.
    Of course I'd like if there was a league the the fgc is part of we'd build it like MLG built themselves up.
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,420 mod

That's a big if. The goal is for the scene to grow so obviously if the scene grows its a success. MLG's track record with fighting games just doesn't make me very optimistic.
    :clapdos: www.playthirdstrike.com :clapdos:
    smgdesu: if you want to be top player you should eat hella ramen
    smgdesu: all top players like ramen

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • AmishOpiateAmishOpiate Mega Slowbro. Joined: Posts: 1,650 ✭✭
    MLG didn't help Tekken grow; in fact, I've heard some say that it had a negative impact on community tournaments.

MLG is doing this because they think it would be good for MLG, not MK.

EDIT: Sorry, it was early when I posted this, and I didn't see scythe's post for whatever reason, so what I am saying is redundant; that said, point still stands :p.
    "I'm sorry and I do understand your frustration."
    --Christian Svensson

Well the smash dudes say other wise the Tekken guys were a mess, who knows. Let them try if it blows up in their face well we got something on them. But really this is all just a ploy to make Capcom sell them the license. I will go out on a limb to say this is a sacrifical lamb to get a capcom game. If they crash and burns and they get a Capcom game well MK was worth that crash.
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    Well the smash dudes say other wise the Tekken guys were a mess, who knows. Let them try if it blows up in their face well we got something on them. But really this is all just a ploy to make Capcom sell them the license. I will go out on a limb to say this is a sacrifical lamb to get a capcom game. If they crash and burns and they get a Capcom game well MK was worth that crash.
    Uhh if it crash and burns they'll even be less likely to get a Capcom game. If you can't take care of a hamster, why the hell would I give you dog (no offense to MK9)?
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
    People often don't operate under sense.

You have to spend money to make money.

Obviously if they had sf the outcome would be different would it be as they want it? Most likely not but it could be big for them.
    MLG and EVO/FGC worked together before, didn't work.
    Some Tekken players blame MLG for the damage done after MLG dropped it (the MLG money was gone, no felt like attending/traveling anymore)
    Smash worked for MLG and they prospered but as seen at APEX, FGC and Smash Community are like mixing oil and water.

MK has been a FGC game, I don't see how this will end better than Tekken and Tekken is the most popular fighting game in the world, no debate.

Not trying to stomp on your optimism or anything, just skeptical.

I'm curious as to why Namco would gamble on MLG again assuming they get SCV. I'ma have to agree with Jebailey, congrats to MLG/MK9 players and hope it works well but if you work directly with the FGC, you get more for less.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
  • XtraKurrikulaXtraKurrikula Capcom pugilist with the IQ of a computer whizz Joined: Posts: 344
    Isn't marvel the obvious choice? the stream numbers say it all why MK? I don't get it
    Shaq Fu - Beast
    Rise of the Robots - Coton
    Clay Fighter - Bad Mr Frosty
    Pit Fighter - Ty
    Isn't marvel the obvious choice? the stream numbers say it all why MK? I don't get it
    You must be new to this FGC and MLG discussion. Capcom refuses to give MLG permission to run any of their games.
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
  • Tim StaticTim Static Joined: Posts: 4,559 mod

1. fuck you. i take that as a full on insult to everything i do and dedicate to the MK community.
    2. why does some random rinky dink ranbat decide how a community runs and what it does for its self?
    KombatNetwork.com - TestYourMight.com
    Follow me on Twitter @ www.Twitter.com/Tim_Static
    Need a cable? Need cables? Your ONLY source:
    http://store.ultraspec.us/
  • XtraKurrikulaXtraKurrikula Capcom pugilist with the IQ of a computer whizz Joined: Posts: 344
    You must be new to this FGC and MLG discussion. Capcom refuses to give MLG permission to run any of their games.

Oh I wondered why, well in weird way I prefer the ways things are now.

MLG is cheese
    Shaq Fu - Beast
    Pit Fighter - Ty
  • KamikazeJDKamikazeJD Wat it do!? Joined: Posts: 98
    People dont seem to get that MK pulls the casual crowd. Sf has a long standing hardcore player base, and thats why they can stand on their own. Mvc is flashy and awesome to look at onstream so it can bring in the stream numbers. It also has a fan base like sf. As nice and technically sound of a game kofxiii is, it doesnt have a huge following over here.. Mortal kombat made it to evo last year and what did everyone on this site say? 'that shitty game will die after evo.' But we, the mk/fgc kept it alive and made it so strong that its not only back for evo 2012, but also we have a chance to show our skills at mlg. Mk isnt the biggest community but we are strong and well-knit group. Quit discounting Mortal Kombat, because its come up and bit every pompous asshole in the back. It might not be the best game but its overcome a hell of alot of odds
    People dont seem to get that MK pulls the casual crowd. Sf has a long standing hardcore player base, and thats why they can stand on their own. Mvc is flashy and awesome to look at onstream so it can bring in the stream numbers. It also has a fan base like sf. As nice and technically sound of a game kofxiii is, it doesnt have a huge following over here.. Mortal kombat made it to evo last year and what did everyone on this site say? 'that shitty game will die after evo.' But we, the mk/fgc kept it alive and made it so strong that its not only back for evo 2012, but also we have a chance to show our skills at mlg. Mk isnt the biggest community but we are strong and well-knit group. Quit discounting Mortal Kombat, because its come up and bit every pompous asshole in the back. It might not be the best game but its overcome a hell of alot of odds

Moving post
    Shaq Fu - Beast
    Pit Fighter - Ty
    You see that KamikazeJD has a point, MK Community has what it take to stay and prosperous and make things happen.

We got each other back no doubt.
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smash worked for MLG and they prospered but as seen at APEX, FGC and Smash Community are like mixing oil and water.
    Except the scenes actually got along, their was just problems with no one expecting that many people to show up, space issues, and problems with scheduling.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
    www.twitter.com/HakethKOTB
  • CrimsonCrimson Joined: Posts: 1,029
    I am proud of the MK scene for doing this. I really should get into that game but I just can't get anybody in my scene to play it. Everybody plays KOF and SF4 and UMvC3. Nobody likes this and SCV. I will have to keep trying.
    What I don't like is that some people in the FGC want MK9 out and put Melty Blood or BBCS:EX in its place for EVO and talking bout how this is its last year and its not going get no more play after this year.....Really now, come on man
    1. fuck you. i take that as a full on insult to everything i do and dedicate to the MK community.
    2. why does some random rinky dink ranbat decide how a community runs and what it does for its self?
    Fuck You back :). As far as "some random rinky dink ranbat" Our rinky dinky ranbat had TFA/RZR Banana Ken, TFA/RZRWeaponsLeft, MRN/MCZ Wolfkrone, Antwain "Alucard" Ortiz, among others with an amazing SF4 finals of Wolfkrone vs Banana Ken. No one decides what a community does. The community is the people who show up. The tournament organizers in Detroit have bent over backwards for Mortal Kombat, and the players just don't show up. You can get mad at me all you want, I'm not the problem. The problem is that MK players in a lot of areas don't show up.
    Hell look at the lack of a crowed to watch the MK finals at the last SoCal major166991_3269997156970_1478603501_3162424_1551284400_n.jpg
    MLG and EVO/FGC worked together before, didn't work.
    Some Tekken players blame MLG for the damage done after MLG dropped it (the MLG money was gone, no felt like attending/traveling anymore)

MK has been a FGC game, I don't see how this will end better than Tekken and Tekken is the most popular fighting game in the world, no debate.

Not trying to stomp on your optimism or anything, just skeptical.

I'm curious as to why Namco would gamble on MLG again assuming they get SCV. I'ma have to agree with Jebailey, congrats to MLG/MK9 players and hope it works well but if you work directly with the FGC, you get more for less.
    Obviously the story is quite twisted. Although the first time they worked was 5 years ago. Still all I am saying is let them do as they do, it's up the the MK community to use what they have just received constructively like smash seems to have done.

I too think this won't go well as MLG hopes but I say let them do it, they don't have a Capcom game and that's what they want.

When this blows up let's see who learns form this.
    Hell look at the lack of a crowed to watch the MK finals at the last SoCal major

Hey dude every think that maybe just maybe that the FGC in SoCal cares more bout Capcom games then MK and if you agree then that means that its just that place and not as a whole
    Well isn't the socal FGC the one where all others are judged?
    Wait what do you mean bout that???
    Well they seem to be the most active and tend to push out the best talent the US has. That said this is a diverse country and you can't really base things regionally. You have to have a lot of data to really tell what the community really is. Hopefully MLG will give us more numbers to work on.
    Yea I understand, I'm afraid that MK gets play a little bit and then push for something aside like Tekken or SCV (No offense to Their community though)
    Hey dude every think that maybe just maybe that the FGC in SoCal cares more bout Capcom games then MK and if you agree then that means that its just that place and not as a whole
    I don't think that is the case. The problem is not that the people who show up for the Majors care more about Capcom, it is that not enough people who care about MK show up to support. I'm sure Mortal Kombat out sold any other game in SoCal, but it didn't translate to bodies in the seats and viewers on the streams. Let me get this out there, I am not hating on MK the game, I bought it and bought all the DLC characters. Who I am blasting is the people who play MK not showing up. Maybe the MK scene will grow over time, who's to say, but too many people want this game to get instant respect without its players putting in the time grow the scene from the bottom up.
    I get what you're coming from and I understand,but I'm trying to say is that I believe its just regionally.The FGC in the west coast might be like that but in the south I can say with confident that its right up there with SSF4 and UMvC3.
  • N0rdicNinjaN0rdicNinja WeHitButtons TO Joined: Posts: 11
    Who I am blasting is the people who play MK not showing up.

I agree that MK doesn't get near the participation of Capcom games, but it's not as universally grim as you make it out to be. Here's a bracket from one of our recent Virginia locals:

http://www.makombat.com/images/brackets/PassTheSalt-Results.jpg

For a local with no major money on the line that's a pretty good turnout I'd say.
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭
    Good, MK9 is a decent game, even with the glitches. Hope this helps out the MK community.
    I agree that MK doesn't get near the participation of Capcom games, but it's not as universally grim as you make it out to be. Here's a bracket from one of our recent Virginia locals:

http://www.makombat.com/images/brackets/PassTheSalt-Results.jpg

For a local with no major money on the line that's a pretty good turnout I'd say.
    I disagree that I am being universally grim. But come on that tourney had WINBACK and Tom Bradey :) The fact that MK has great turnout in some areas and shit turnout in other places shows that the MK community is running the risk of becoming regional. If it becomes regional the MK community only have themselves to blame. NRS studios did it's part. It made a good game that has out sold most other games out there. MK hasn't let the community down, the community has let MK down.
    I'm not discounting the game, my complaint is with the players. Sure the game is still "alive" but I see no signs the scene is growing as much as it should.
  • Tim StaticTim Static Joined: Posts: 4,559 mod
    Fuck You back :). As far as "some random rinky dink ranbat" Our rinky dinky ranbat had TFA/RZR Banana Ken, TFA/RZRWeaponsLeft, MRN/MCZ Wolfkrone, Antwain "Alucard" Ortiz, among others with an amazing SF4 finals of Wolfkrone vs Banana Ken. No one decides what a community does. The community is the people who show up. The tournament organizers in Detroit have bent over backwards for Mortal Kombat, and the players just don't show up. You can get mad at me all you want, I'm not the problem. The problem is that MK players in a lot of areas don't show up.

You expecting people at a yes, rinky dinky ranbat to play MK tells you the community isnt what you think is a personal insult to me. (Seems to me, more people liked my comment than yours, so what does that tell you?)MK players in that area dont go, then what does that tell you? There isnt any serious MK players in the area. The game is big enough for Evo, twice, and our community is a lot bigger and stronger than most other communities, so take your BS somewhere else. And no NRS hasnt done quite enough.Making a good game sometimes isnt enought. But if you are so damn worried, then stop trolling. its that simple. You think your hot shit trying to start shit with the other staff here at SRK with me stomping your ignorance, but that says more about you than it does me, you butthurt fool.

PS- Josh and 'Twain are good peeps too. this has nothing to do with them or any other SF4 players.
    KombatNetwork.com - TestYourMight.com
    Follow me on Twitter @ www.Twitter.com/Tim_Static
    Need a cable? Need cables? Your ONLY source:
    http://store.ultraspec.us/
  • KamikazeJDKamikazeJD Wat it do!? Joined: Posts: 98
    I'm not discounting the game, my complaint is with the players. Sure the game is still "alive" but I see no signs the scene is growing as much as it should.
    i feel you.. But one huge reason is because people dont want to accept the game. This site is an example. Everything that mk got as featured news people would shit on it. Any awards or even combo vids people would shit on it n talk about how this game is all 'low pokes and jump in kicks.'
    This game has evolved and the successful players have adapted. We have an awesome and helpful community with top players being some of the most helpful people. People just have to give us another chance honestly