Stick vs Pad = Preference Vs Preference

ShinkuGadokenShinkuGadoken 40%FlashkickJoined: Posts: 660
Ever wanted to tell someone 'Go fuck yourself' when they told you to play on a different format because 'Only real players play on stick/Pad Sucks Ass' or something like that? I feel that way a lot these days. People are constantly telling me 'Shinku, You'll never be good if you don't play like its the Arcade.' to which I reply 'I'm not at the arcade, and I just won 5-0.'

Aside from my little ranty bit up there, we really shouldn't be telling players to do this because X sucks, we should encourage people to play on other formats just to see how they like it. Myself, I play on Pad, and I'm the second best in my area, and can beat everyone else in an area an hour away. 1st best is a Stick player, but so is 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, so on, so forth.

So, what do you think? Should people just shut the fuck up about the 'X Sucks, learn Y' stuff? Or What?
EVOLUTION 2013 9th Place Finisher - 40%Flashkick
Thank you to all of my fans and supporters. Its knowing you guys have my back that I can fight on with so much happiness.

Follow my exploits on;
Twitter: @40Flashkick
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/andrew.fein.1?ref=tn_tnmn

Comments

• RazentsuRazentsu I can see the frames! Joined: Posts: 66
    I didn't know people were saying things like that. But yes, you're right. It is about preference. You shouldn't have to use a particular controller just to be considered good.
  • ihiraihira Adult fan of LEGO. Joined: Posts: 341 ✭✭
    Who is he to tell you what controller to use if he can't beat you? lol sounds like your opponent is salty about the loss and taking shots at whatever he can. This case, you being a pad user was the perfect target.

Arcades are dead outside of Japan and pad is a legitimate way of playing a fighting game. There are some amazing top players that use pad (wolfkrone comes to mind)
  • BANSHIBANSHI Joined: Posts: 212
    i used a pad, until i got tired of getting blisters on my fingers, only time i don't use a stick is with games that aren't for the arcade
  • ShinkuGadokenShinkuGadoken 40%Flashkick Joined: Posts: 660
    You Know Banshi, People say that it gives you blisters, but just like sticks, Pads also offer a lot of variety, I use a PS3 Afterglow for the Playstation, which is set up like an Xbox Controller with the way it looks, which means I don't have to use the Direction Pad for movement and moves, I can use the Analog stick, which is all the Arcade Stick I need.
    Thank you to all of my fans and supporters. Its knowing you guys have my back that I can fight on with so much happiness.

Follow my exploits on;
  • superlollosuperlollo S Tier Joined: Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭
    Shinku, You'll never be good if you don't play like its the Arcade.
    Things that should be patched:
    - People that constantly complain that there should be a patch.

by. J.Scogz
  • EllipsenEllipsen SFxTPC + AEPC Joined: Posts: 1,906
    See my sig, play how you want to. If someone you beat tries to give you advice, then tell them your advice is only to give advice after they win.

Salty advice is just another way that sodium can get into your diet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • EmXEmX Joined: Posts: 845
    Hey man you can't make a gamepad out of a cardboard box that says "American Freedom - made in china" though, can you?
  • tatakitataki Non-SF4/MVC3 FG news: twitter.com/#!/novriltataki Joined: Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are pad players so insecure that every time someone tells them that stick is better they come here and make a thread about it?
    It's also possible to play the game with your tongue (ask brolylegs) but does that mean that it's the most suitable way?
    Playing Mishimas on a stick is more convenient than on a pad. Playing Eddie on a on a stick is more convenient than on a pad. etc. etc. and that is why a stick gives you a bit more freedom of choice with characters than a pad. (While I don't recall hearing about opposite cases.)
    But why would you be offended by that? lol
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge Strongest in Iron Arena Joined: Posts: 12,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on pad because whoever I play, I can do what I need to with them on a pad. Execution can be a pain(getting FRC combos with I-no) but it's never enough for me to drop my pad and shell out some bucks on a stick. I trained enough with Kazuya in Tekken to be able to get down EWGF for 3-4 reps on pad. That's how it is for me. As long as I can get what I want and need, I'm good.
    Get ready for the next battle...
  • Ap0lloAp0llo this is me Joined: Posts: 646
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that some dudes do very well with the hitbox blows the whole theory that stick is better than pad right out of the water.

Use what you're comfortable with using. Don't make excuses that you need a stick and you'll automatically stop mashing SRK/Super on wakeup.
    STOMP!
  • thats mind gamesthats mind games fgd scumbags Joined: Posts: 1,102
    Hitboxes are cheating.
    99% of ppl on shoryuken are neanderthals that like to "learn" how to slam a joystick and buttons around, put this in your sig if you're one of the 1% left that like to use their brain to win at fighting games
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    I use kinetic. Suck it.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to see a dude use a Guitar Hero controller at Evo.
    STOMP!
    Why are pad players so insecure that every time someone tells them that stick is better they come here and make a thread about it?
    It's also possible to play the game with your tongue (ask brolylegs) but does that mean that it's the most suitable way?
    Playing Mishimas on a stick is more convenient than on a pad. Playing Eddie on a on a stick is more convenient than on a pad. etc. etc. and that is why a stick gives you a bit more freedom of choice with characters than a pad. (While I don't recall hearing about opposite cases.)
    But why would you be offended by that? lol

To answer, I'm not offended by it, Pad players just want people to shut up. Yes, we know, you want us to play stick, you don't have to remind us every time we win/lose/drop a combo/do a combo/do a hyper/tatsumaki/RUNITBACK or whatever else we do.

Follow my exploits on;
  • BulimicCannibalBulimicCannibal Joined: Posts: 371
    Stick is the superior control method technically but that's not to say pad users can't be great players or
    that a pad player should switch to stick if he doesn't want to.
  • VorkosiganVorkosigan AWOOOGA Joined: Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭
    Pad = free
    A few years ago (my mother) asked if I beat Justin Wong at Evo. The shame I felt in saying no made me seriously consider suicide right there on the spot. - Viscant
  • FinalFantasyFinalFantasy Joined: Posts: 190
    Pad = free wins
    Fixed that for ya.

Follow my exploits on;
  • tatakitataki Non-SF4/MVC3 FG news: twitter.com/#!/novriltataki Joined: Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that some dudes do very well with the hitbox blows the whole theory that stick is better than pad right out of the water.
    Great logic.
    I say X is better than Y but if Z seems good that somehow makes X>Y being not true?

Eddie benefits from a stick-like button layout, so you can use more fingers at the same time in a more free from.
    Yes, we know, you want us to play stick
    Not really. You can play on a DDR controller for all I care.

This is what I meant about the insecurity.
    A:"Stick is better than pad for some stuff."
    B:"You say I could never be good with a pad and that all pad players are scrubs wah wah Wolfkrone wah!"
    A:"Dude wtf just chill."
    Former account:
  • ezspengezspeng HARD MAN DUDLEY Joined: Posts: 75
    You should use whatever input device you prefer using. I personally can't stand playing on pad as I need the layout for plinking in sf4 and piano inputs for supers in 3s. Super jumping is another issue I had with pads, can't imagine doing the hyper grav loop in MvC3 on a pad. Xbox 360 controllers were the worst for me, I actually couldn't do a double quarter circle and press LB because my hands were too big.

I can't believe people actually care about what you use. o_o
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE keptyouwaitinghuh Joined: Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    to me its more like

preference vs CANT FUCKING DO ANYTHING ON A PAD BRUH :annoy:
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• shoultzulashoultzula whatsyoursismines! Joined: Posts: 4,503
    certain games are more pad friendly than others. Like for marvel, there is a huge amount of variable input timings of assists and attack buttons. Sometimes for option selects, you have to kara 2 face buttons on a pad then tap an assist and shit like that just starts adding up as to difficult sooner or later.

other games like ST, the only thing holding back a pad player is mashing and that's it.

The effectiveness of a input device all boils down to what game you're playing. Some games its 50\50 advantage pretty much the same, other games like 70\30 stick because of the amount of fingers you need to access the different parts of the game. I'm not saying pad players can't play umvc3 but they will have a hard time performing alternate techniques that most stick users don't really have a problem with.

I've played on pad for GGPO over the last 5 years and I play on stick offline in my scene so I actually use both really well. I can determine the strengths\weaknesses of both and yes, pad does have some advantages over stick.

Typically when the game uses a lot of button sequences, vampire, mvc2\mvc3, these games are better off on stick because you have access to all 5 of your fingers. On a pad, you can only have access to 2-3 of your fingers depending if you play with your thumb or claw style.

you only gain that perspective though once you can use both devices pretty well. Someone who uses either or will always be on one side of the argument rather than describing why which is better\worse.
    I don't have it but watch me get it.
    pad does have some advantages over stick.
    I'd like to hear examples of games where pad gives you an advantage.
    Former account:
  • Sensei RouzuSensei Rouzu Lion's Roar Joined: Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Movement in Tekken.
    Also about the multiple button hits thing. That isn't an issue nowadays when you can map multiple buttons to a single one.
    They call me Crimson Red. The blood of a million slaves in every verse that I pen.

Listening to : Sa-Roc / Blitz the Ambassador / B-Real / Ladi6 / Nas / Boney M. / Slick Rick
    Someone once said:

When we all finally evolve, we will use pad.

I don't think the community as a whole has come to a consensus on the term but I call it "throw" which is what the automotive idustry\enthusiats call the gap in gears. The longer the throw, the longer it takes to get moving again. Typically, the faster cars have the short throws so you can just slam them really quick.

the "throw" on a pad versus "throw" on a stick is HUGE. The throw on a pad has got to be maybe decreased by half it feels like. This allows insane rapid fire joystick movement beyond a degree than you can't do on a stick so shit like DP's, spd's, hcb\hcf, iads can all be inputted on a pad faster than on a stick.
    Movement in Tekken. Also about the multiple button hits thing. That isn't an issue nowadays when you can map multiple buttons to a single one.

well no, not true. You can button map something but that doesn't help pad players plink face buttons or multiple face buttons @ that. You can't assign a plink. So now they have to use a weird ass thumb style for square\x or x\o and they could never use a x\triangle with a thumb. Now they go to claw style which gives them the ability to hit face buttons but now tapping r1\r2 become a problem.

lets not forget about the wide array of assists calls you can have while playing umvc3. So you have to be able to do shit like plink, c.l, assist call, c.m or something like that which most characters can do. On a stick pretty easy to do but on a pad it becomes very intricate. Some games you need to start using ALL your fingers and on a pad, that simply isn't possible.
    the "throw" on a pad versus "throw" on a stick is HUGE. The throw on a pad has got to be maybe decreased by half it feels like. This allows insane rapid fire joystick movement beyond a degree than you can't do on a stick so shit like DP's, spd's, hcb\hcf, iads can all be inputted on a pad faster than on a stick.
    I understand your argument but the raw distance isn't the only factor. You need to also consider the force of what's moving, the muscles.
    To understand what I mean try to do FBFBFBFBFB really fast on a stick, and then on a pad and see the stick feels easier, since it feels like you are using more suitable muscles for it. Your arm vs your thumb.
    Former account:
  • bitbna1bitbna1 Joined: Posts: 897
    All of the controller methods have distinct advantages, but they are not really something that is insurmountable. Honestly, I have been playing stick for a long time and I am thinking about switching back to pad for SF4. The only controller I'd say has a real advantage would maybe be hitbox because of the layout for things like HHS and standing 720's. It's all up to you however, as everything is possible on every controller.

Also, if you are hating on people that play pad you really don't have much to grasp at anymore. There are plenty of top players that play on pad nowadays and have proven that there is nothing limiting your success on the controller. Not even mentioning the Tekken community where pad players are a much larger part of the community, players like Snake Eyes, Vangief, Masta CJ, and Wolfkrone have all been very successful in the tournament setting. If you are one of those idiots that expects a free win against a pad player I hope you get blown up at the next major, you deserve it lol
    I understand your argument but the raw distance isn't the only factor. You need to also consider the force of what's moving, the muscles.
    To understand what I mean try to do FBFBFBFBFB really fast on a stick, and then on a pad and see the stick feels easier, since it feels like you are using more suitable muscles for it. Your arm vs your thumb.

well, I feel like on a pad that motion is still faster. You can do that input 3 different ways on a pad. Tapping f\b, using your thumb to slide it from f\b and using 2 fingers claw style on a pad, f\b. You can only do it 1 successful way on a stick. Even though you're using different muscles, you have to factor in speed and distance traveled too and those 2 factors always belong to pad players IMO.

the f\b input is a real typical SF motion, its used all the time to bait footsies and I play A2\Vsav on ggpo and walk in and out just fine even played some ST too with pretty good results.

and yea agree with hit box but its banned in tournaments anyway
  • grandabxgrandabx The Flameater Joined: Posts: 386
    \
    Wrist > Thumb
    BS! you can move your fingers faster than your arm.
    I remember when people thought Bison doing the psycho crusher back and forth across the screen in SF:CE was cheap. :lol:

GGXX: As long as I apply myself, I can win with anyone.:cool:
  • Ap0lloAp0llo this is me Joined: Posts: 646
    WAY easier to land an IAD
    SHIT
  • experimento626experimento626 PSN iD Joined: Posts: 29
    i use Ps3 controller [analog stick] and i do perfect with it
    some people online get salty cuz they think i use stick

i want to get a stick but i dont know wich one Madcatz or Eightarc
    a lot of people been telling me that the Eightarc is better
    PSN iD:experimento626
    Zero,Nova,Taskmaster/Zero,Spencer,Taskmaster/Viper,Iron Man,Domammu/Frank,Hsien-Ko,Zero/Taskmaster,Hsien-Ko,Nova
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

yea agree with hit box but its banned in tournaments anyway
    Forgive me but is this true?
    youtube channel keobas

http://www.youtube.com/user/keobas
  • NsauceNsauce PSN: Nsauce Joined: Posts: 171

As far as I know it was banned in one tournament.
  • scytheavatarscytheavatar Joined: Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭

As far as I know, Big Two still has a stickless stick ban. I haven't heard of any other tourney that has banned it.
    I'm going to wear a Madcatz sponsored RSI wrist-brace regardless of what I'm playing on. Perhaps one of the t-shirt designers can put a yipes quote on it and sell them for a markup over the ones at Walgreens.
  • AquasharkAquashark Mekong Delta AirRaid Joined: Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭
    you think stick vs pad is bad?
    keyboard warriors have it worse.. and i don't mean controversial hitbox, proper keyboard layout
    hello friends, my name is Drago Umeharevich from CrossCounter Balkans
  • CLaymanCLayman Muuuuuuunn!! Joined: Posts: 68
    I played pad for a very long time. Maybe 3 years. Been playing stick for about a year and a half now. The range of motion and execution is much more simplified on stick. You do not have to work as hard as you do on pad with stick. Stick is much more consistent in my eyes and I have been in both worlds.
  • zeechzeech Dismember Joined: Posts: 578
    FG: Stick vs. Pad
    FPS / RTS: Mouse/KBD vs. Pad
    Driving: Wheel/Pedals vs. Pad

Pad is a jack of all trades. There's no question that you can be skilled with a Pad, but generally speaking a more specialised controller will be superior, assuming you put an equal amount of time/practice on it.

The only exception are games designed for Pad - like 3rd person melee action games (Devil May Cry, etc.)
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭
    FG: Stick vs. Pad
    FPS / RTS: Mouse/KBD vs. Pad
    Driving: Wheel/Pedals vs. Pad

Pad is a jack of all trades. There's no question that you can be skilled with a Pad, but generally speaking a more specialised controller will be superior, assuming you put an equal amount of time/practice on it.

The only exception are games designed for Pad - like 3rd person melee action games (Devil May Cry, etc.)
    I really think this is how pad should be viewed
    youtube channel keobas

http://www.youtube.com/user/keobas
  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    pad is gret for some games but suck for others.
    pad is best for later kof games.
    now jlf stick w square gate is great for sf.
    and my preference for gg a core is seimitsu with octo gate
    pad sucks for gg if your playing with like axl or any character that has a lot of half circle motions
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
    I want that one-handed d-pad controller they made for PSX wired up to some arcade buttons in a box. Then I could have the best of both worlds obviously!!
  • SSJ_SonikkuSSJ_Sonikku Fighting Game Maniac! Joined: Posts: 623
    Yup, it is all about preference. For me, I can't stand Sticks. I tried one for a while, and the dang thing broke on my (solid stick I heard too). Plus any time I try using a stick it just feels weird. Every time I play a fighter with a stick I'm like, "I have no idea WTF I'm doing." When I use a pad (especially the Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro) I actually know what I want to do (and I do it).

Again, what I say should not be a factor in making you chose 1 controller over the other. It is what YOU feel comfortable using that should be taken into account.
  • FaceMeAndBeBrokenFaceMeAndBeBroken FUCK JAPANESE STICKS Joined: Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭
    Im old school and Im not playing on a stick thats not on a cabinet and not American. Been using SNES controller since WW, and that layout has carried over to PSX/PS2/PS3. Thats what Im doing. I tried to make my TE as American as possible (only 6 last buttons seimitsu, and ls-56) still it moved around (I am rough, like you had to be at arcades in the day) and was meh.

And people DO act like its their business what you use. But as I see it, I been around longer than any stick purist I know, so they can all suck my dick.
    Playing: GTA Online. Saints Row 4. WWE2K14. Killer Instinct. Forza 5.
    XBL DiegoElFuego

• sephtissephtis Joined: Posts: 6
    I've only ever used a pad, I would not know. The one Time I played street fighter 2 at an arcade I could not execute any specials properly. |:
  • KorbidonKorbidon For justice. Joined: Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, there are some characters that are way, way easier on stick than pad.

Characters with hundred hand slaps, or something like Juri where you have to hold the button.

I'm not sure because I don't use pad, but can you do 3rd Strike charge buffers on a pad? I imagine Urien would be hard on pad.
  • rayplayrayplay aka solidoutlaw Joined: Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, there are some characters that are way, way easier on stick than pad.

Characters with hundred hand slaps, or something like Juri where you have to hold the button.

I'm not sure because I don't use pad, but can you do 3rd Strike charge buffers on a pad? I imagine Urien would be hard on pad.
    Hearing this never ceases to irritate me. You have 3 kick buttons. Two of them are on the main four face buttons. The 3rd is a shoulder button (talking about my config btw). Your thumb is in the center of the 4 buttons so that you can hit ANY of them at any time with ease, even if you have to hit multiple ones. X and Circle are right there to hold with your thumb, and your index finger for R1. But how will you AA while holding all three charges? Well for starters, it's not often that you'll be in a situation where you will hold all 3 at the exact same time when your opponent is in jumping range, and even still, you just move your thumb upwards to press MP (triangle).

I don't try to take sides but like someone said, it does just get on my nerves at times. I especially hate it when they won't even give good reasons.

Friend: You can't do genei jin combos on pad.
    Me: Is that why I drop them less than you do?
    PSN: rayplay
    I'm outrageous. So anti social that I make others feel like THEY'RE the outcasts, not me.
    "Fall down seven times, get up eight." - T.O.M.
  • blufangblufang Darkstalker for life Joined: Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've played on both, and have a lot of experience on both. Hands down sticks are better. Fighting game sticks were created specifically for fighting games, and most fighting games were created with sticks in mind. Hitting multiple buttons, doing fast chain combos, plinking, dashing, most everything is easier and smoother on a good stick. You can compensate, but pad is at the least a mild handicap and at the most a giant handicap depending on the game.
    Boycott Ultra SFIV! Supporting garbage, means you'll only get more garbage in the future.

20th Anniversary of ST EVO 2014 Tournament of Legends 2 Finals
    EVO 2014 ST X-Mania Finals

20th Anniversary of Darkstalkers Takehashi (Wolf)/Nekohashi (Cat) vs Bow (Fish)/Deka (Hsien Ko)
    Devil's Playground 3 (05/03/2014)

20th Anniversary of Marvel, King of Fighters, Tekken, and Killer Instinct

• Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 281