Ask Us Anything: KOF FAQ & Advice Corner

Comments

• CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Choppin Bricks Like Karate Joined: Posts: 1,978
    Neuts wrote: »
    I know the question is asked a lot, but I need help finding a third character; I'm playing a lot of Duo Lon and EX Iori (first and third, respectively), but I can't settle on a final character to use. I'm new to King of Fighters, and I'm new to fighting games in general, so I'd like a character that's easy on the execution and maybe has a straightforward game. Oh yeah, I'd like one with a strong, easily executed HD combo if possible -- EX Iori's is hell on my clumsy hands. I tried these already:

Leona: I actually had a lot of success against people who are as bad as I am with her standing overhead and air catches but I didn't really enjoy playing her.

Ryo: Kind of fun but I decided I didn't really want to play Ryu's lost twin

King: Didn't really feel like playing Ryu either.

Maxima: God I sucked with him, even though he's pretty cool.

Elizabeth: I liked her aesthetics, but this lady seems wicked hard to play. I sucked with her.

Ash: Seems really hard to play, too.

Try Saiki, Terry or Kensou. This is my team/ "Team Easy". Terry and Kensou are basic straight-forward characters. Saiki is a great zoning and keep away character who can mount an offensive if need be. Terry is generally considered to be a good Mid character since he needs meter to be effective but there are better comeback/anchor characters than him. Plus, the world could always use more Terry players.

If you want pure damage, try Daimon. His HD combos are generally short and they usually end with a throw. If you're good at busting out HQCF motions, he's your man.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    Take the Raw Vegan challenge! Lol nah fam, I don't even do this shit anymore.

SFV: Zangief Sub: Juri
    GGXRD Revalator: Ramlethal Valentine
    KOF XI: Terry/Oswald/Gato | KOF 14: Terry/NAK/KOD, Terry/Yamazaki/KOD

PSN: CaptDeepThot

• LoyalSolLoyalSol Drunken Akuma Joined: Posts: 6,903
    edited September 2013
    What Sol said. In KOF fullscreen zoning is relatively ineffective compared to SF. Sure you're making them block fireballs, but they're getting more meter than you and if they properly evade and punish you they're going to be doing about 10X as much damage as your fireball would do if it hit. King can setup fullscreen pressure with the light fireball, to force a reaction out of the opponent. If they just block it then pressure them. Think of blockstun as a currency, which it kinda is with the block gauge. As their guard gauge gets lower and lower they'll need to stop blocking eventually or they'll get their guard broken and be open to a full combo.

Actually zoning isn't too bad in this game, but at the same time you can use your zoning to set up some difficult to avoid situations which tend to be much better than simply chucking plasma. The main thing is when someone tries to get around your fireball punish them to the max.
    Under stress you will not rise to your expectations, you will fall to your level of training.
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    I actually think Zoning is very strong in this game and (not counting 02 Athena) the only KOF with such an emphasis on zoning. When Athena and Mature have fullscreen EX Fireballs that hit multiple times, you can't say that zoning isn't a big deal.
    STOMP!
  • RadicalFuzzRadicalFuzz Invading Pokopon's Courtrooms Joined: Posts: 4,795
    I actually think Zoning is very strong in this game and (not counting 02 Athena) the only KOF with such an emphasis on zoning. When Athena and Mature have fullscreen EX Fireballs that hit multiple times, you can't say that zoning isn't a big deal.

That's true, I should've phrased that better. Throwing fireballs on their own isn't an effective strategy, they need to be followed in to be significant.
    I am the one true frog.
    I just got into this game after trolling around on the older KOF's on GGPO and I have a question.

Why does everyone hate Kim?

I feel like Kim is the Seth of this game, where he's a really good character but every hates him despite him not being among the elite.

I mean, when Romance complains about a character being stupid (Dude has to be the most humble top player) there has to be something there.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix

• KomatikKomatik Card demon Joined: Posts: 2,659
    Don't know much of the game yet, but a common complaint seems to be that just about anything relevant is safe. Might be totally wrong tho.
    Steam:Coffeeling | Fightcade: Coffeeling-FIN
    Xrd: Sol | ST: Claw, O.Sagat, O.Ryu | 3S: Chun-Li, Akuma
    Resource pack for learning fighting games and/or starting KOF13
    edited September 2013
    Kim is like Chin in that he can throw shit out there and it does good damage and is relatively safe. Especially when he's jumping around. The only downside to Kim is that his HD mode combos are corner only and he's a meter hog and is generally in 2nd or 3rd.

I hate Chin, Mr. Karate and EX Kyo far more than Kim though.
    STOMP!
    So if I ever play you, pick that and watch you go on tilt? :P
    edited September 2013
    I just got into this game after trolling around on the older KOF's on GGPO and I have a question.

Why does everyone hate Kim?

I feel like Kim is the Seth of this game, where he's a really good character but every hates him despite him not being among the elite.

I mean, when Romance complains about a character being stupid (Dude has to be the most humble top player) there has to be something there.

I wouldn't call him the Seth (Hell I wouldn't call anyone in this game Seth). What's annoying about Kim is that his buttons are so good and hard to punish that he becomes a character where people go full retard with. Now you can blow them up for doing so, but its annoying as hell.

For instance s.D is one of his more obnoxious buttons, but you can call a Kim out by doing things like low jab (With King I c.C > Slide for a max damage combo)
    Under stress you will not rise to your expectations, you will fall to your level of training.
    Speaking of King, and slides. In-match, I just plain mess up my buffers, trivial as they are. Is "keep trying to do it in match, get salty at constant execution mistakes" the only path to success?
    Komatik wrote: »
    Speaking of King, and slides. In-match, I just plain mess up my buffers, trivial as they are. Is "keep trying to do it in match, get salty at constant execution mistakes" the only path to success?

Execution is really just about practice practice practice
    No but I mean, does anyone have secret tech for translating training room success to less in-match salt?
    No but I mean, does anyone have secret tech for translating training room success to less in-match salt?

grind-graph.png

The only tip I really have is practice your combos in the same way you will hit them in a match. For instance practice off dash ups, jump ins, and in punish situations.
    edited September 2013
    Found a better team that feels more natural to play <3 (EX IoriKyo, K', Beni)
    Off to trials and the practice room -->

EDIT: Fuck Iori, Kyo is more fun XD
    Post edited by Komatik on
  • SesshaZLSesshaZL 春麗 豪鬼 Joined: Posts: 1,028
    what are vice's and chin's play styles respectively.
    50/50 post Hyoukusen mixup is dirty!!
    Way more dangerous than outsiders perspective, "low forward super, yawn, I play better games" - WTF-AKUMA-HAX
    SesshaZL wrote: »
    what are vice's and chin's play styles respectively.

Vice - Her unique thing is her EX Sleeve, it has anywhere juggle (can hit out of the aerial reset state, when you hit anti-air with a normal) and you can get a combo

Chin - I don't entirely know.
    I am the one true frog.
  • NeutsNeuts Joined: Posts: 2
    I appreciate the responses to my earlier post, but nobody actually posted a suggestion. It's okay though, I picked up Shen and he's wonderfully effective and easy to play (It's probably a bit of a problem when someone who's all thumbs like me can pull off a 1020 damage HD combo). He doesn't seem to have much low pressure, though. Am I wrong?
    Neuts wrote: »
    I appreciate the responses to my earlier post, but nobody actually posted a suggestion. It's okay though, I picked up Shen and he's wonderfully effective and easy to play (It's probably a bit of a problem when someone who's all thumbs like me can pull off a 1020 damage HD combo). He doesn't seem to have much low pressure, though. Am I wrong?

His only combo conversion off a low is HD activation. Or going into more Bs. He has good pressure with his charge punch cancel and hopping in with CD so between that and his command grab not being able to convert off a low isn't completely neutering his design IMO.
    I am the one true frog.
  • 武俠派武俠派 燈火闌珊處 Joined: Posts: 589
    Any tips for Elisabeth? I'm just starting out with the Elisabeth team and often placing her as last fighter, but I'm kind of lost with her tactics. She doesn't seem that great at poking, pressure and neither she got a projectile move. What's the strategy for her?
    武俠派 wrote: »
    Any tips for Elisabeth? I'm just starting out with the Elisabeth team and often placing her as last fighter, but I'm kind of lost with her tactics. She doesn't seem that great at poking, pressure and neither she got a projectile move. What's the strategy for her?

Make them stop blocking so you can hit them. Whether that's by a blockstring into QCF+K -> QCF+P (does about 25% of the guard gauge IIRC) or by her command grab, if you can make the opponent do something other than block then you can land a hit. Even a stray aerial hit can go into super for some damage and setups, her j.B & j.C crossup. You can either space that well to be ambiguous or you can roll into them as they get up to make it appear as though you're on the other side. This applies after her super and after her command grab. After the BnB finishes with the jumping normal for the air reset, usually hopping/jumping towards is the best option. If you can get them to block you can either go overhead, low, or command grab.

Also her QCF+P nullifies projectiles so if the opponent's just sitting fullscreen throwing fireballs you can throw that out to make them do something else.
    I am the one true frog.

1: build meter.
    2: ?????????
    3: Profit.

I don't get that character at all. She can kinda' anti-zone but it's really hard to do that and her damage is pretty bad.
    STOMP!

1: build meter.
    2: ?????????
    3: Profit.

I don't get that character at all. She can kinda' anti-zone but it's really hard to do that and her damage is pretty bad.

Apparently she was a very braindead character in the Arcade release that everyone seems to not like remembering lol.

In original Arcade version she basically could convert off anything into super for 400 damage. Her, Kula, and Raiden were top tier and Joe and Mature had infinites.
    STOMP!

Liz these days is more about resets, zoning, and meter building.
  • 武俠派武俠派 燈火闌珊處 Joined: Posts: 589
    Thanks everyone, judging by the response it appears that Elisabeth don't really have a lot of options in game? The tactics mentioned by RadicalFuzz seem pretty standard for most if not all characters; with cross ups, using anywhere juggle, ambiguous wake up, and vary high/low attacks. Is there anything unique to Liz that makes her somewhat special, certain things that she can do that others can't?
    The only advantage you have of picking Elizabeth is the same kind of advantage you would get if you mained Robert or to an extent Maxima. Almost no one uses these characters and you'd get wins on dudes who just don't know the matchup. Other then that, she doesn't have anything that makes her special.
    STOMP!
  • SesshaZLSesshaZL 春麗 豪鬼 Joined: Posts: 1,028
    team order needed for:

kim
    mai
    vice

looks about right to me...
    50/50 post Hyoukusen mixup is dirty!!
    Way more dangerous than outsiders perspective, "low forward super, yawn, I play better games" - WTF-AKUMA-HAX
    edited September 2013
    I don't know about Mai's meter management, but Vice works best with bar so I'd say 2nd or 3rd. Kim also benefits a lot from EX air Hangetsuzan.
    @Great_Dark_Hero How does Mai benefit and use meter?

I'd try Mai-Vice-Kim because Vice & Kim can be really meter heavy, but I don't know much about Mai so take that with a grain of salt.
    I am the one true frog.
    edited September 2013
    team order needed for:

kim
    mai
    vice

To be honest that team can sort of be played in any order depending on match up. Vice tends to be better as 2nd or anchor because she really needs meter to be scary, but she isn't bad on point. Kim is Kim (Fucking Kim!). Mai can work as an anchor since she is actually pretty annoying if you get blow 50% and she has Neo Max stocked. She can hit you with a fan and combo that thing.

So I would say order your team depending on match ups.
    team order needed for:

kim
    mai
    vice

All 3 characters need meter to be scary so you can put them anywhere and whoever you have in 3rd (except maybe Mai not counting her Neomax threat) can dominate with all that meter. Kim is probably your best bet on 3rd though.
    STOMP!
    edited October 2013
    Is my team order okay?

Kensou
    Terry
    Saiki

I like Terry where he is, but I really don't like putting Saiki as an anchor, I don't think he can make that comeback or at least I can't make a comeback with him. However, most people who use Kensou put him on point and Terry is a great Mid/Whatever.

Terry needs meter to be good. I think there's better characters that do what he does but 2nd is a good spot for him. Kensuo is way better with meter but he's a good point for obvious zoning.
    STOMP!
    Terry needs meter to be good. I think there's better characters that do what he does but 2nd is a good spot for him. Kensuo is way better with meter but he's a good point for obvious zoning.

Thanks for the advice! But, who would you recommend over Terry? I didn't know Kensou was better with meter, I thought he was pretty solid meterless. Where do you think I should put Saiki?

edited October 2013
    I'm not gdlk but I would say any shoto character (except Robert), any of the EX characters, Claw Iori, Kim, Goro, Clark, and Duo (who can basically do anything). Saiki can work at any spot. He's good at zoning, has a 1 frame grab super (EX version gives you some life back), and really good air-to-air game.

As an aside, the more I use Ryo the more I think he's badass. Really good fireballs, gdlk Mexican Uppercut that shuts down Kyo/Karate braindead jump in mixup nonsense, 3 frame LP SRK, and really good damage in the corner. My nigga does 505 damage with 1 bar and 1 drive...
    STOMP!
    As an aside, the more I use Ryo the more I think he's badass. Really good fireballs, gdlk Mexican Uppercut that shuts down Kyo/Karate braindead jump in mixup nonsense, 3 frame LP SRK, and really good damage in the corner. My nigga does 505 damage with 1 bar and 1 drive...

Ryo's awesome, hit-confirming overhead into Ranbu is so satisfying. He gets really good damage too.
    I am the one true frog.
  • FisheraaaFisheraaa Joined: Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Hey guys.
    Does any1 have any tip for linking jump D into standing C with athena? When i hit the D in the waist area or below it i manage to link it like 60 % of the times , but if i hit the D above the waist it gets almost imposible. I'm noob so don't be bad with me.
    Fisheraaa wrote: »
    Hey guys.
    Does any1 have any tip for linking jump D into standing C with athena? When i hit the D in the waist area or below it i manage to link it like 60 % of the times , but if i hit the D above the waist it gets almost imposible. I'm noob so don't be bad with me.

That's just the game, not you. If you hit their head with jumping D you can't combo off of it. To get a jump in you have to hit them extremely low in your jump. It's easier if you're hopping instead of full-jumping.
    I am the one true frog.
  • FisheraaaFisheraaa Joined: Posts: 2
    Hey guys.

That's just the game, not you. If you hit their head with jumping D you can't combo off of it. To get a jump in you have to hit them extremely low in your jump. It's easier if you're hopping instead of full-jumping.

Tnx!!!! I was geting crazy with this LOL.
  • RedVegaRedVega Joined: Posts: 844
    Hey guys.

Jump-ins in this game work kind of like in SF3...they need to be late in the jump-in in order to be considered a part of a combo. If you hit their head its just very little blockstun.

• Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Mai Darkness Joined: Posts: 2,739
    Hey everyone! Just a reminder that ya'll can come here and ask questions when needed! People are here to help.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Shun / Mai / Beni [Luong, Geese, Sylvie, Kyo, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai[Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: ???
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

Hey everyone! Just a reminder that ya'll can come here and ask questions when needed! People are here to help.

Going through a little character crisis,

I like Clark but I need another top tier on my team as a pocket character. Who should I use? I can play Kim but I don't find him or EX Iori to be fun. Benimaru looks great but I think Chin or EX Karate would be the most optimal choice. I use EX Kyo and Terry, Terry is my anchor and EX Kyo plays either point or second character, so I would like a character who can build the meter Terry needs to function and can do some damage.

edited May 2014
    Karate or Beni on point, EX Kyo as a meter building machine to feed Terry the gas to kill.
    Clark/EX Kyo/Terry doesn't sound that bad to me though.
    Karate or Beni on point, EX Kyo as a meter building machine to feed Terry the gas to kill.

I'm going to use this team since I love the flow of Clark/EX Kyo/Terry, but I have been noticing that everyone who plays this game well and at a high level can use multiple characters well. As a result, I want more top tier goodness in my repertoire. Besides, it seems like everyone has a pocket Chin or Karate nowadays :).

• DaymanMasterOfKarateDaymanMasterOfKarate Joined: Posts: 461
    edited May 2014
    What are some realistic goals I can set for myself in trying to learn this game?

Also, in learning movement options, can you think of anything specific I can do to practice or reinforce how they should be used?

I have been playing fighters about a year now. I mostly play SF4 and almost always keep my cool, but playing KoF13 makes me incredibly salty. I think it is because I have no clue what to do so I hesitate and flounder constantly, and when I do decide to do something I fail to execute it properly. What I did in SF4 was just keep running into the wall until it stopped hurting, so I'm guessing I should do the same thing for this game.
    What are some realistic goals I can set for myself in trying to learn this game?

Also, in learning movement options, can you think of anything specific I can do to practice or reinforce how they should be used?

I have been playing fighters about a year now. I mostly play SF4 and almost always keep my cool, but playing KoF13 makes me incredibly salty. I think it is because I have no clue what to do so I hesitate and flounder constantly, and when I do decide to do something I fail to execute it properly. What I did in SF4 was just keep running into the wall until it stopped hurting, so I'm guessing I should do the same thing for this game.

Specific goals, hm. Doing things consistently in training mode, like hops, run up throws and stuff. Practice hitconfirming on a random blocking dummy (needs to be crouching for low confirm practice). One important skill to learn is to block as many hops as possible on reaction when you're being pressured.

As with SF, try to do stuff grounded or hopping if possible. Full or especially super jumps forward are something to be used sparingly.

It's funny, KOF is so fun to me I just can't get salty almost no matter what. And yes, hesitation kills in upclose situations. In upclose situations most everything is too fast to properly react to. You have to commit and trust that your stuff works to get anything done. Much the same as Street Fighter, really. One big difference is that although frame trapping in KOF is important and pretty effective, it is not as central to upclose pressure as it is in Street Fighter. Many characters' throw techs are basically option selects with their close C, which is typically a very fast button - 3 or 4 frames, so even if you make it a point to stay out of throw range you can get blown up for careless pressure.

The basic building block of KOF pressure is the high/low/throw mixup, which every character can do and which most everyone actually also fears. You have to stand to DP and to tech in this game, leaving you open to lows. Stuff like empty hop, throw is nice, easy and nasty. cr.B, cr.B, run up or walk up throw works well also. Just be aware that characters in KOF remain throw invincible a good bit longer than they do in SF4 after waking up/exiting hit/blockstun. So something like hop CD into tick throw isn't instant, but rather "hop CD, noticeable pause, tick throw". Of course you can just do the classic jump attack, low short to keep them guessing. DPs can't be FADCed to be safe so you can bait those out and tear people new assholes.

The Beginner's Incomplete Guide to KOF by DandyJ is a classic for getting to grips with KOF if you have a Street Fighter background:

Also, because of hops and high run speeds KOF13 isn't as much about spacing your buttons perfectly as SF - in SF you often try to be spaced just right to outreach someone by a couple pixels to get damage in. KOF, you know someone is trying to sweep you for example, you can just hop in and tear him a new asshole, and so forth. The spacing is more gross, and it's more about active movement, timing and angles than prolonged pixel perfect spacing. Improper spacing is definitely a thing, but most situations last only for a brief moment after which the fighters are elsewhere already.

I'm going to use this team since I love the flow of Clark/EX Kyo/Terry, but I have been noticing that everyone who plays this game well and at a high level can use multiple characters well. As a result, I want more top tier goodness in my repertoire. Besides, it seems like everyone has a pocket Chin or Karate nowadays :).

Get to grips with your team first, then expand out when you get decent, IMO. No use in learning odds and ends of a ton of characters while not actually getting a deep understanding of your own team. (The very basics of other characters is helpful because you can grok what they do, but knowing move properties and being able to set stuff up in training mode is enough at first at least).
    Thanks for the advice, I've been grinding it out in training mode in preparation for EVO and have been focusing only on my original team.