SSFIV AE PC Version - VSync on causes input lag?

LeprekaunLeprekaun Joined: Posts: 82
Hi all. I'm not sure if I'm the only one here but for some reason, whenever I turn on VSync in SSFIV AE (this covers a few other games too) I get input lag. My system is very much capable of running SSFIV AE at max settings at 1920x1080 without dropping a single frame below 60FPS. When I turn on VSync, its not as if I'm dropping frames because the framerate is still the same but the inputs become sluggish. I have the latest graphics card drivers for my GPU, all latest updates for Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 and monitor drivers so I don't know what could be wrong. I've tweaked my monitor settings to have the fastest possible response time, I have also experimented by using an HDMI cable instead of DVI but it made no difference. I know some might suggest to just leave it off but SSFIV seems to have obvious bad tearing issues so it does decrease the quality of the look of the game. So is there any way to fix this issue? Thanks.

These are my system specs:

MB: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (@3.42Ghz)
GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 XXX (GPU clock: 755Mhz / Memory Clock: 1125Mhz with latest 12.1 drivers)
RAM: 4GB Corsair Dominator
PSU: Corsair TX650
Monitor: Viewsonic VX2260WM

Comments

• LeprekaunLeprekaun Joined: Posts: 82
    I thought I should add that regardless of what graphics settings I have running or resolution, there is still input lag
  • w00denTEETHw00denTEETH Dr. Zaius Joined: Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    ...my experience with the game is basically the same as yours. I cannot play with any form of v-sync turned on. I use a Radeon 5870. I have to accept that there will be tearing if I am going to play on PC. Most players can't detect input delay so it doesn't really affect them.

The PC version is the best online. I will continue to play it if they ever update to 2012.
  • RevekRevek Joined: Posts: 41
    vsync is horrible on the pc version. just play without it and learn to live with the tearing
    SSF4AE: Ibuki, Sakura kinda
    UMvC3: Felicia/Storm/Nova
  • eperelezeperelez VAS-HG FTW! Joined: Posts: 1,429
    If you have an nVidia card, go into the nVidia control panel and click on "Manage 3D Settings". Set the "Maximum pre-rendered frames" setting to 0. This, along with turning vsync off seemed to help a lot for me. ;)

There should be a similar setting for ATI cards.
    "Namco Stick Are #1 In The World, No Doubt There As I Meus King Of Namco Sticks Who Conquer 50 Of This Stick And Sold 40 To My Follow Srk Members And Has 10 in His Home.
    Namco Stick's Are For Live Baby."
    --meus
    HeatWare=eperelez http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=84368
  • jinsaotomex3jinsaotomex3 It's tooth brushing time! Joined: Posts: 5,973
    Turn V-Sync on and see if you can limit the in-game FPS to 59Hz (instead of 60Hz) as well as doing what was mentioned above.
    Supreme Overlord and ruler of the Hentai realm.
    Brushy brushy brushy : http://pastebin.com/aPHTTgfc
    Brushing your little sister's teeth, Jin Saotome style.
  • C2QC2Q Joined: Posts: 1,162
    Try D3DOverrider for those with Nvidia cards!
    AE 2012: Akuma (main), Evil Ryu, Guy, Yun, Yang, Ryu.
  • EllipsenEllipsen SFxTPC + AEPC Joined: Posts: 1,906
    I use vsync with an ati 4850 with no problems at all(AA off). smooth as butter.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • ShabroutShabrout Joined: Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    to be honest sync is not something to improve the rendering for everyone, it's only a matter of monitor. If your graphic card provide more frames than the monitor can render at his rate, some frame will drop, but this effect is relatively rare with our monitors and card today. Just turn it off. No need to add more work for the card to run slower than it can. You'll never notice the missing picture frame if ever you're in this situation. And I'm quite sure input frames aren't relative to picture frames, I mean missing pictures doesn't mean your input is lost.
  • The BreakerThe Breaker reading, lol Joined: Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    What? That's really uninformed, and half of it is just generally untrue. Actually, a lot of cards in today's market (on NVIDIA's side anyway) perform better when they're given heavier work loads (this depends on the game and your CPU though...)

Anyway, D3DO doesn't help with the input delay. Changing the maximum amount of frames rendered ahead doesn't either (this won't affect anything unless your card is struggling to run the game?) Just have to turn Vsync off unfortunately. There is no input lag if you turn Vsync off and your computer is perfectly capable (well, same amount of input lag there is with a TE and a 360.) Capcom must have done something unusual because when Vsync is on, the input lag is really terrible in my experience...like, anyone who plays the game could notice it immediately. Most mid to high machines can run this game at 120-250FPS so I doubt it's Vsync putting too much strain on the card. Monitor delay doesn't seem to be the cause either.
    "This game is garbage." Why do you play it?
    "Because the other garbage is cold." So you just like garbage.
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if input lag has also to do with the USB port. I read that there are various tweaks to optimize the mouse port for FPS games, so I wonder if one can do something similar to an arcade stick.
    Is it better to connect it to an independent USB port instead of a USB hub? Also USB 2.0 instead of 1.1 will make a difference to the joystick?
    not good at any, mediocre at many
  • ShineboxShinebox Joined: Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter what I do or what I turn off in this game. It feels floaty online.
  • ATi7500ATi7500 Feimitsu Danwa Joined: Posts: 461
    What? That's really uninformed, and half of it is just generally untrue. Actually, a lot of cards in today's market (on NVIDIA's side anyway) perform better when they're given heavier work loads (this depends on the game and your CPU though...)

Anyway, D3DO doesn't help with the input delay. Changing the maximum amount of frames rendered ahead doesn't either (this won't affect anything unless your card is struggling to run the game?) Just have to turn Vsync off unfortunately. There is no input lag if you turn Vsync off and your computer is perfectly capable (well, same amount of input lag there is with a TE and a 360.) Capcom must have done something unusual because when Vsync is on, the input lag is really terrible in my experience...like, anyone who plays the game could notice it immediately. Most mid to high machines can run this game at 120-250FPS so I doubt it's Vsync putting too much strain on the card. Monitor delay doesn't seem to be the cause either.

Vsync is supposed to generate more input lag if more frames are generated by the gfx card and then cut down to the monitor's refresh rate. Try limiting fps to 62 with MSI's Afterburner latest beta, turn off antialiasing in-game (which I found is REALLY adding input lag even at 110fps), turn on Vsync in-game. Please report your experience.
    Improvise, adapt, overcome.
  • Data BeastData Beast Joined: Posts: 572 ✭✭✭
    Try playing with the triple buffering setting if you haven't already. I always disable vsync when I play PC games, but I've heard that triple buffering has an impact on input delay.
    Try playing with the triple buffering setting if you haven't already. I always disable vsync when I play PC games, but I've heard that triple buffering has an impact on input delay.
    triple buffering is meant to be used in conjunction with vsync. and the triple buffering implemented in directx causes an INCREASE in input lag.
  • Data BeastData Beast Joined: Posts: 572 ✭✭✭
    triple buffering is meant to be used in conjunction with vsync. and the triple buffering implemented in directx causes an INCREASE in input lag.

Which is why you should try disabling it.
  • The_TheoricalThe_Theorical Joined: Posts: 306
    Allow me to intervene...

The arcade version of the game has Vertical Sync.
    The game was developed with Vsync in mind. It has input lag. An input lag you'll only notice if you play the game with vsync off once.
    Every single game in the world has input lag from Vsync. No exceptions. You'll notice particularly in the mouse movement.

Turn it on and get used to it. It took me quite a while to understand if it was just me or not, but it's the way the game was made. No fighting game has Vertical Sync off. Not entirely. You might see a little tearing here and there on the consoles, but that's not due to the vsync. I'd go through the reasons why, but it's not relevant to this thread.

Just get used to the game with vsync on. Stop playing with it off, since the tearing will cut a shit ton of frames. The game's Vsync has a constant, consistent lag that won't change (unless, of course, it dips below the 60fps mark). With it off, you'll have inconsistent ups and downs, and repeated frames going batshit juxtaposing themselves, thus ruining the gameplay experience.

It's not slower than the consoles. It's still faster. It's the perfect port for a reason.
    Again: get used to it.

Playing Quake3? Turn Vsync off.
    Daigo doesn't mash Shoryukens. He OSs a Shoryuken inside a Shoryuken.
    Yo dawg, I heard you like Shoryukens, so we input a Shoryuken after your Shoryuken so you can Shoryuken if you don't Shoryuken.
    It's not slower than the consoles. It's still faster. It's the perfect port for a reason.
    Again: get used to it.

...why when I turn v-sync off do I get timing that feels the same to me as console and arcade (I live in city where we actually have an arcade)?
    ...why when I turn v-sync off do I get timing that feels the same to me as console and arcade (I live in city where we actually have an arcade)?

Because hysterical pregnancy also exists.

I have my ps3 next to my computer. As in: side by side. And I didn't even have to. It's already been tested by others and explained.

From there onwards, it's up to you to believe whatever you want to believe.
    Yo dawg, I heard you like Shoryukens, so we input a Shoryuken after your Shoryuken so you can Shoryuken if you don't Shoryuken.
  • The BreakerThe Breaker reading, lol Joined: Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Vsync turned on with the PC version feels a hell of a lot different than playing at the arcade. The 360 version feels pretty similar to the arcade; the PS3 feels a little...off...but it's pretty easy to adapt to. So I'm going to say that isn't true (being a perfect port, anyway.)

What ATi says makes sense so I'm going to assume it's true (because I am too lazy to bother testing it) but the input delay with Vsync turned on with PC is beyond what is expected. This isn't 3-5f of lag; it feels like 8-10f.

Also, seeing the above post, I have my PS3 & 360 right next to my computer as well, though the arcade is about an hour away from here...so...yeah.
    "This game is garbage." Why do you play it?
    "Because the other garbage is cold." So you just like garbage.
    I won't bother recording a video showing you the delay.
    It's around ~3fs of lag. If you get more than that, something's wrong with your setup.

And it's a perfect port (better than then x360, by not that far). Don't believe me, go on a Japanese BBS and ask.
    It's around ~3fs of lag. If you get more than that, something's wrong with your setup.

It is impossible for me not to believe that turning it off makes a difference because turning it off makes a difference. :wgrin:

...it is entirely possible that it is specific to my PC. Are you using Nvidia?
    It is impossible for me not to believe that turning it off makes a difference because turning it off makes a difference. :wgrin:

...it is entirely possible that it is specific to my PC. Are you using Nvidia?

I'm using nVidia, and I used amd before (my 560ti is 3 months old).

Just turn on Triple Buffering on the nV control panel.
    Or download D3DOverrider, add your sf4 executable to the table and keep d3doverrider running while playing.

There's always input lag. Without triple buffering it's just worse.
    I'm using nVidia, and I used amd before (my 560ti is 3 months old).

Just turn on Triple Buffering on the nV control panel.
    Or download D3DOverrider, add your sf4 executable to the table and keep d3doverrider running while playing.

There's always input lag. Without triple buffering it's just worse.

Triple buffering forced through D3Doverrider increases input lag because it's a DirectX implementation: frames are queued but not discarded. It makes the motions on the screen smoother though.
    Triple buffering is also kinda useless if your system is able to mantain 60fps as a minimum, and in the case of SSF4, it should.
    Limiting the FPS to 62 with Afterburner helps much more, just try it.
    Triple buffering forced through D3Doverrider increases input lag because it's a DirectX implementation: frames are queued but not discarded. It makes the motions on the screen smoother though.
    Triple buffering is also kinda useless if your system is able to mantain 60fps as a minimum, and in the case of SSF4, it should.
    Limiting the FPS to 62 with Afterburner helps much more, just try it.

According to the steamforums, everyone was happy as soon as they forced triple buffering either through nVidia Control Panel or D3DOverrider.
    They claimed: no input lag.

I won't even touch this subject anymore. Just swapped my sanwa for seimitsu, was fooling around on the PS3 for a few hours, jumped on the PC, and it's smooth as butter.
    ...a yellow bar connection is also as smooth as butter. I can't see how that is a good thing.
  • ShadowOSShadowOS Joined: Posts: 1,556
    i thought i yellow bar WAS butter
    "Can you see it? Can you see the gaping maw of Hell that awaits you?"
  • twotone8twotone8 Joined: Posts: 76
    there's a program out there called dxtory. it includes a 'frame limiter', which i've found very helpful with eliminating input lag in most games. for some reason limiting the number of frames to just below your refresh rate seems to get rid of any frame buffering which might be going on. I set my max frames for 58 (on a 60hz lcd), and it makes a noticeable difference. I pretty much leave dxtory on all the time. It's great for schmups, fighting games, fps's, and pretty much everything. Input lag was driving me crazy for years until I discovered this program. With some games it makes a greater difference than others. I just thought folks here should hear about it.

edit: this implies that vsync is set to 'on' in most games. limiting the frames helps decrease vsync lag.
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 "Is it Mewtwo?"™ Joined: Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it directly linked to not being super-duper awesome? (for lack of a better term) I mean...

I have an i7, GTX 680, 16 gigs of ram and... other stuff. I'm pretty crappy at remembering all that stuff offhand.
  • AmoniAmoni I'm from Vietnam! Joined: Posts: 131
    i just turn vsync off. A little bit of tearing, but now it is OK. Turning Vsync on while playing Yun is like having 2 sandbags of 100kg tied to you foot, esp when you dive kick

And also, I tried to turn Tripple buffering on, it just got worse
  • CobraKaiCobraKai Joined: Posts: 516 ✭✭
    I also experienced difficulty in doing 1-frame links with VSync on... its not accurate to the arcade version at all.

Example, Ryu combo, cr.MP, cr.MP, Cr.HK with Vsync it is very difficult to connect the last cr.HK. Try it with VSync off and it becomes very easy like the arcade and console should be.

Also Ryu, SPS, cr.HP, SRK... another basic combo that becomes like your playing underwater.
  • Ex3cut3rEx3cut3r Joined: Posts: 107
    Vsync on sucks...who the hell is playing it with on? XD can't do any combos when it's enabled :D
    GFWL: PfadEx3cut3r - Dictator - Rose: Skill level: 6/10
    Vsync off and FIXED frame rate = Must. I got a friend who send me a video that he can Link Cr.MP (+5) with Cr.HK (Start 7). I thought it was Vsync problem until he told me that he used Smooth frame rate.....

Also, if anyone want to have a good experience without input lag, please buy a CRT monitor. I dont know why people dont use CRT for Fighting games, they have like 0 display delay and you dont need to worry about Vsync or anything. I used to have a 24' CRT back in the days and it rocks
  • jamiejame911jamiejame911 Ever learning Joined: Posts: 424
    So this is why my game would start to lag uncontrollably for me, while my opponent would continue the beating.
    Casually playing:
    SFIV: Fei, Yun
    ST: Ryu, Deejay
    SG: Valentine
  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    a tad off topic but does anyone know a way to lower ping?
    i had around 15-25 ping and everything was butta.
    nowadays i have 45-55 and everything including playing yt vids is slow/laggy as fuck.
    my download/upload speeds are still the same even if my ping has changed.
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
    I finally got the game working and this is definitely noticeable. Nothing in the graphics settings seems to help. I have a PS3 hooked into the same TV via HDMI and it doesn't feel this laggy. It really screwed with me today. Any tips?
    I finally got the game working and this is definitely noticeable. Nothing in the graphics settings seems to help. I have a PS3 hooked into the same TV via HDMI and it doesn't feel this laggy. It really screwed with me today. Any tips?

Vsync OFF?
    Tripple Buffering OFF?
    Framerate FIXED?

Any framerate & temperature monitor programs turned off? Like EVGA Precision/MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner for example. I found out that if you turn EVGA on, you always get around 58-59 frames. Turn it off and it become smoother, but still a bit laggy. Only when I go to Task manager to turn off RTSS.exe (the process to monitor your framerate and stuff), the game suddenly back to it designed speed, fast and steady.
    Vsync OFF?
    Tripple Buffering OFF?
    Framerate FIXED?

Any framerate & temperature monitor programs turned off? Like EVGA Precision/MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner for example. I found out that if you turn EVGA on, you always get around 58-59 frames. Turn it off and it become smoother, but still a bit laggy. Only when I go to Task manager to turn off RTSS.exe (the process to monitor your framerate and stuff), the game suddenly back to it designed speed, fast and steady.

Did it. Runs like a dream. Thank you.
  • GreenflagGreenflag Joined: Posts: 366
    That's actually wrong. Triple buffering is meant to REDUCE input lag and that is exactly what it does. Triple buffering is meant to make you able to use V-sync without the obvious disadvantages.

See: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794 for an interesting read.
    That's actually wrong. Triple buffering is meant to REDUCE input lag and that is exactly what it does. Triple buffering is meant to make you able to use V-sync without the obvious disadvantages.

See: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794 for an interesting read.

Dude I read that article and many others. If you read between comments you will also discover what I said, that the proper implementation of triple buffering is currently only available in OpenGL. That implementation allows the frame buffer to discard outdated frames. In DirectX, instead, frames cannot be discarded, so they are queued. Queueing older frames is what generates input lag.
    To sum it up, it is useful to use TB in Directx just when the FPS generally drop below the refresh rate value (60, 120); that helps with smoothness. In case FPS are always above that limit, it's recommended to keep double buffering and eventually limit the FPS to a value close to 60.
  • Laughter 7Laughter 7 Joined: Posts: 527
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I've been having mondo trouble with my PC version of SSFIV since I reinstalled my OS recently. Ever since reinstalling I get terrible lag with v-sync on. And yes I'm well aware that v-sync always causes some lag, but this is not typical v-sync lag. It is way worse than normal v-sync lag. It 'feels' very different to my Xbox version and how it used to be on my PC until recently. When I turn Afterburner on it says my FPS is 50 with v-sync on. That's very unusual to me because I thought v-sync always capped at 60 FPS (or maybe 30 if you're machine is struggling).

I'm using the latest drivers and the lag is apparent with both my TE and my keyboard. I've tried it with and without Afterburner (incl. Afterburner's frame rate cap). Nothing seems to work. If I disable v-sync I get a steady 60 FPS but also a lot of screen tearing, which I don't want. The issue is not with hardware limitations because all my gear is pretty new (i5 2500k/7970).

I just don't understand how it can be running fine on this setup one day and then the next, after a reinstall, be completely different. I'm guessing it might be something to do with drivers? I don't know. Any ideas?

BTW, here's a video (note that Afterburner doesn't capture screen tearing, but there was some after I went back to no v-sync):

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I've been having mondo trouble with my PC version of SSFIV since I reinstalled my OS recently. Ever since reinstalling I get terrible lag with v-sync on. And yes I'm well aware that v-sync always causes some lag, but this is not typical v-sync lag. It is way worse than normal v-sync lag. It 'feels' very different to my Xbox version and how it used to be on my PC until recently. When I turn Afterburner on it says my FPS is 50 with v-sync on. That's very unusual to me because I thought v-sync always capped at 60 FPS (or maybe 30 if you're machine is struggling).

I'm using the latest drivers and the lag is apparent with both my TE and my keyboard. I've tried it with and without Afterburner (incl. Afterburner's frame rate cap). Nothing seems to work. If I disable v-sync I get a steady 60 FPS but also a lot of screen tearing, which I don't want. The issue is not with hardware limitations because all my gear is pretty new (i5 2500k/7970).

I just don't understand how it can be running fine on this setup one day and then the next, after a reinstall, be completely different. I'm guessing it might be something to do with drivers? I don't know. Any ideas?

BTW, here's a video (note that Afterburner doesn't capture screen tearing, but there was some after I went back to no v-sync):

• JulperoJulpero Joined: Posts: 759 ✭✭

Switch V-sync off in the game settings and go to the settings of your graphics card and switch v-sync on there. Less input lag than on PS3 so I guess it's the same as X360 then. I don't know if Catalyst has game-specific settings but you should be able to universally force v-sync from there.
    Gfwl: jholtta
    Psn: julpro

ssf4 ae 2012: Yang, Gen
    kof 13: Kensou, EX Kyo, Ryo, Takuma, Hwa Jai, Chin
    I fixed this in the end. I used Radeonpro to force v-sync at 60FPS.
  • MissionSchabernackMissionSchabernack Joined: Posts: 479
    I can also report my experiences. I also troubled with massive input lags while playing online with the PC Version, I also blamed the online, because with my xbox with xbl gold, on the xbl servers, its perfectly fine.

Tried different things at once with the PC Version. I connected my TE stick at an usb port at the back of my PC, not those "slower"(?) ports on the frontside. I turned vsync off, framerate on fixed, antialising off, and the graphical details on a minimum. Now it performs like the xbox version, but looks like shit :D .
    Quite a dilemma, the pc version has the biggest traffic, compared to xbox, but looks like shit now. Xbox version looks very good, has for me, the least lag, but not so good traffic :P. In the daytime I play on PC and at evening on the xbox, all in all the "feel" the same now.
  • ShineboxShinebox Joined: Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    I have come to the conclusion that I will never get this game to work well

Here are my computer specs
    Phenom II 955 x4 3.2ghz Quad Core
    AMD Radeon 7870 XT
    6 GB DDR2 RAM PC1066
    Windows 7 64-Bit
    ASUS 785G Socket AM2+

Here is the monitor I am using
    ASUS VH238H

Stick
    Qanba Fusion set to PC/PS3 mode

Internet
    T10- Gigabit Average 400mbps down/up

My computer should be capable of running the game fine, I just have no idea how to get rid of the gross amounts of input lag on this game. It's worse than playing online with a PS3 tethered to a 3G Phone.
    Post edited by Shinebox on