Afro Legends vs Damdai Money Match at EVO!

167891012»

Comments

• oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    Common Paper, show us the money!
    It's probably the hoes' money, at this point!
  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    here is the money match I blew.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Ah shit..    
    People that aren't used to Hawk's OS's would view it as bullshit. Speaking as devil's advocate, it's a brainless and near-inescapable setup that gives Hawk a ridiculous amount of comeback potential. He doesn't fight as clean as say a Ryu or Guile, and thus initially it seems over-powered, even in spite of his weak matchups.
    I really fail to see all the issue about Hawk's OS BS. Ryu loses many match-ups if he messes up anti-airs or eats some crap such as empty jump into throw: T. Hawk is just another one. You can see Choi losing to Mongolo cos of messing up SRKs, Nuki owning several Ryus in Japan who eventually accept a jum-in that was their only chance of winning, Daigo and several other good Ryu players lose bad against O.Sagat and not punishing the one chance they had to AA him and knock him down, etc, etc, etc. Bottom-line is: don't mess up.
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,722
    I really fail to see all the issue about Hawk's OS BS. Ryu loses many match-ups if he messes up anti-airs or eats some crap such as empty jump into throw: T. Hawk is just another one. You can see Choi losing to Mongolo cos of messing up SRKs, Nuki owning several Ryus in Japan who eventually accept a jum-in that was their only chance of winning, Daigo and several other good Ryu players lose bad against O.Sagat and not punishing the one chance they had to AA him and knock him down, etc, etc, etc. Bottom-line is: don't mess up.

It's still a fairly high hurdle to overcome. It's a serious issue at the intermediate level that is only slightly elevated at the higher levels with superior execution. It's the only setup in the game that is a inescapable. Chun jumping on in Ryu is a bad situation, but you can get out of it. Missing a critical AA against O.Sagat is bad, but it's not the end of the world. If you go up against an O.Hawk that does not mess up his post-knockdown setups, you are 100% guaranteed to be dead, with no chance to escape, except maybe a super.
    It's still a fairly high hurdle to overcome. It's a serious issue at the intermediate level that is only slightly elevated at the higher levels with superior execution. It's the only setup in the game that is a inescapable. Chun jumping on in Ryu is a bad situation, but you can get out of it. Missing a critical AA against O.Sagat is bad, but it's not the end of the world. If you go up against an O.Hawk that does not mess up his post-knockdown setups, you are 100% guaranteed to be dead, with no chance to escape, except maybe a super.
    O.Sagat is a lopsisded match-up, you are lucky to even have him jump at you. What I mean is Ryu will lose almost every round he accepts jump-ins in high-level play. It is important that people are aware of that. Also, Zangief is signifficantly harder match-up than Hawk, and he already lands a lt of damage on the ground. I could get many more examples - both in theory and with actual videos - of situations in which you have to react with the SRK so save your ass, and other that you actually have to choose among different options, and chosing the wrong one leads to 50% damage, death, or dizzy. Sloppy play leads us to believe the game is way more forgiving than it actually is.

As for Hawk, you can escape with super, so there is a way out. Also, by using constant reversals among Jap SRK and Short Tatsu, you actually have a good chance of escaping it, even before you actually get the super bar ready. I am pretty sure there are other traps that are only escapeable with super.
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    ...If you go up against an O.Hawk that does not mess up his post-knockdown setups, you are 100% guaranteed to be dead, with no chance to escape, except maybe a super.

I don't care enough to work through the numbers, but I suspect that that there are post knockdown option selects like that in many match-ups.
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
    Sorry Rufus and ANaqvi, you guys put money on me and I let you down. Next time we meet at super arcade, I'll buy both you guys dinner.
    Ah shit..    
    O.Sagat is a lopsisded match-up, you are lucky to even have him jump at you. What I mean is Ryu will lose almost every round he accepts jump-ins in high-level play. It is important that people are aware of that. Also, Zangief is signifficantly harder match-up than Hawk, and he already lands a lt of damage on the ground. I could get many more examples - both in theory and with actual videos - of situations in which you have to react with the SRK so save your ass, and other that you actually have to choose among different options, and chosing the wrong one leads to 50% damage, death, or dizzy. Sloppy play leads us to believe the game is way more forgiving than it actually is.

As for Hawk, you can escape with super, so there is a way out. Also, by using constant reversals among Jap SRK and Short Tatsu, you actually have a good chance of escaping it, even before you actually get the super bar ready. I am pretty sure there are other traps that are only escapeable with super.

I actually feel fairly confident in the O.Sagat, it's much more manageable than the rest of his bad matchups imo.

I don't think the Zangief match is significantly harder than Hawk, I always feel in control against Giefs, and I personally believe it's an even match.

Jab SRKs and short tatsus are used to disrupt his timing, but none of which are effective ways to escape. Jab SRK doesn't do a thing against his wake up st.jab, and short tatsus might work a few times, but they can be hit out by a cr.strong, which resets you in the same position. It's damn near a virtual lock, and doesn't even require a corner.

Ultimately, it just means I gotta spend more time grinding out the match in order to perfect the execution of my strategy.
    The main idea about constant reversal Tatsus and SRK is to build super bar while eating way less damage than a typhoon. The enemy messing up and releasing you from the loop is a bonus. The corner may actually help, since weird recover properties happen there, which makes it even harder to react in time and adapt to the constant resets.

I completely agree that it's a serious issue at intermediate level. But that also applies to Gief.
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    Sorry Rufus and ANaqvi, you guys put money on me and I let you down. Next time we meet at super arcade, I'll buy both you guys dinner.

I won't say no to free food, but you don't have to do that and there's no need to apologize to me.
    I made the wager for sport knowing full well that the outcome of the match was not certain. I apologize if I made you feel like you had an obligation to me to win.
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • MegamanX-8MegamanX-8 Robotic Warrior Joined: Posts: 141
    i was dissapointed so i think the free food should come this way >>>>>>>
    lol
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/nohonorcrew/

Cant have Honor when we dont have honor

XBL : WalkingDeadGuy9
    KI : Arbiter, Jago
    SFV: Zangief
    Pokken: Sceptile
    ST : Zangief, Ken, Ryu, N Sagat
    Fightcade : MegamanX8
    About the "clean vs dirty" fighting. If you are on the receiving end of any top players attacks, everything is going to feel "dirty". For example, if you can block Afro's ambiguous cross up 5 times in a row straight, I'll give you 20 bucks. He is so good with that cross, it might as well be an unblockable infinite. Same goes with Maos dive mix ups, or Valles footsie game. When you're facing a strong player, everything they do is going to feel cheap. The whole point is to exploit all your advantages to the max potential.
    Ah shit..    
  • ultracomboultracombo Weakest Loser Joined: Posts: 741
    O.Sagat is a lopsisded match-up

lol, I'll own your O.Gat with Ryu. Please don't act like you know what you're talking about.
    here is the money match I blew

Did you have get coached too?
    "If ultracombo misses a low roundhouse, he is likely to continue doing it." - TheMuffinMan
    lol, I'll own your O.Gat with Ryu.
    LOL. Good luck!
  • damdaidamdai www.damdai.com Joined: Posts: 1,079
    congrats afro. honestly knew you would pull through and your practice and hard work has paid off. good showing in ToL also bro. now i wonder if this kid gonna keep posting vids of him beating this player and that player boasting lol. reality check son, one trick pony is not worth much vs good players who still practice.

Hey Mike, do you like apples?
    supercade.damdai.com
    tonamento.damdai.com
    frame-advantage.com
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    lol *goofy grin*
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
  • philcitophilcito The Berserker Shoto Joined: Posts: 1,178
    i think damdai should challenge watson... uuh call me fortune teller, because i can see the three old characters from hell kicking Watson's cocky ass.

"Run your mouth when i'm not around is easy to achieve". fucking pantera is hardcore and the lyrics fits to this thread.
    "You hit coins at the same time as punch, just like philcito does". Bookah
    " I don't snore and I shower daily". Rekkaken

The Crew - www.nohonorcrew.com/
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    fuck money, they should play for thumbs lol
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
  • fatboyfatboy I beat anorexia: 10-0 Joined: Posts: 1,853

(1) Love to both players. I am happy to have them both participate in the ST community.

(2) With that said, Damdai won on the *biggest* FGC stage ever. Players/ fans from all over the world were watching the SF25th tournament. No other event will be quite like it. Afro will need to wait 25 years for a run back/ rematch on a venue/event of that size again. And it may be a long 25 years...
    Am I hungry? Sure, I could eat...
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,440
    I thought the tournament of legends was a bigger stage w/ stronger players then this joke of a tournament...

I say Damdai vs Afro part3 at evo...Double or nothing...
  • KuroppiKuroppi くろっぴ Joined: Posts: 891
    (1) Love to both players. I am happy to have them both participate in the ST community.

(2) With that said, Damdai won on the *biggest* FGC stage ever. Players/ fans from all over the world were watching the SF25th tournament. No other event will be quite like it. Hundreds of thousands (One million plus?) of viewers watched him beat Afro in strong fashion. Call me a realist/ pessimist but ST will never get that many viewers from an event again (not even main stage at EVO). Afro will need to wait 25 years for a run back/ rematch on a venue/event of that size again. And it may be a long 25 years...

If I remember correctly, the SF 25th Anniversary Finals had about 19K viewers (for ST).

ToL finals had 28K viewers on the EVO main stage but that wasn't the Afro-Damdai MM. Armando would probably know for sure but I think the MM had at least 8K watching.

And you're just salty because you didn't have any money on Damdai this time. ;)
    Shhh... ST in da house!

www.strevival.com | STR Facebook | Twitter
  • PaskyPasky Ninja with pistol! Joined: Posts: 1,863
    Was it on g4tv or some shit? And ya the viewer count was no where near the 100,000's, at least on twitch.
    <Pasky> so you can go extra fast by just holding it?
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    <baklakiller> sure if had a penis
    <baklakiller> im a beginner gief
    If I remember correctly, the SF 25th Anniversary Finals had about 19K viewers (for ST).

ToL finals had 28K viewers on the EVO main stage but that wasn't the Afro-Damdai MM. Armando would probably know for sure but I think the MM had at least 8K watching.

Well shit... I guess I read the number incorrectly.:) First post edited.

However, it doesn't change my point. Without arguing over semantics, the SF25 anniversary tournament was one of a kind. It was a milestone for the FGC. The entire world participated and was aware of it. Both players played their best. And the best player at this time won.

Afro was the better player at TOL. Cole was the best at B4/B5. And at other times: Diago, Choi, and others were the best.

In my opinion and the scene may disagree, the media reach of the SF25 will be greater than the other ST tournaments offered at this time. It was a blast to watch Damdai improve and play as well as he did.

I don't know what you're talking about! :P
  • bookahbookah Joined: Posts: 29

Damdeezy, please give credit where credit is due. Who was the one that suggested you dance a little "jig" on stream, right in Afro's face, if you beat him? Whoever it was has a brilliant mind.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,167
    In my opinion and the scene may disagree, the media reach of the SF25 will be greater than the other ST tournaments offered at this time. It was a blast to watch Damdai improve and play as well as he did.

ToL was much more significant overall as a Super Turbo tournament. More players, higher level competition, more viewers.

But that doesn't diminish Damdai's victory over Afro at all of course.
  • watsonwatson Joined: Posts: 1,345
    lol damdai. congrats on your victory. you practiced hard, you played well enough to win, and thats the bottom line. i can go on and on about this and that but it really doesnt matter. sirlin almost destroyed a branch of the street fighter community and its my current duty to keep it strong. you are doing a fine job representing so dont stir any more shit bro. w/o me ever making it an EC vs WC thing way back in the 90's there wouldnt be much of any rivalries and im not trying to take credit, but honestly, how much easier is it to practice when you have a goal and you arent playing to beat up a "friend"?!?!?

anyways, running our arcade relief event this weekend guys, hope you all can tune in and though it will be an end of an era of arcade, it should be a fun day to say the least! ST starts at 3pm and i got jeff and tomo to come out and commentate a bit. hope you all enjoy.

p.s., asking me if i like apples? wtf? the way i view it is this game played outside of an arcade cab is basically comparing apples to oranges, fuck console, i love apples!! :)
    Super Arcade is the official host for WNF and TRB!
    follow us on twitter for updates on events and out of town visitors
    http://twitter.com/#!/SuperDojo
    come check out one of the last arcades before its too late!!!
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX BLACK-GOKU-HAX Joined: Posts: 18,031
    I don't think anyone would have had a problem with the set being best of 5 for a Grand Finals. Betting people maybe, but to see more AfroLegends vs Damdai on such a stage, why not right?

So here's a small story on what happened after Damdai's win.

AZN lady comes up all the way to the front standing area on the left side and asks me
    "Who won?!"
    - "Damdai"

"$3,500 huh... just for playing video games"
    - 'Nod' I don't say he's got years of work in to get to this point.

"So which one is Damdai?!"
    - The guy in the (*) Black longsleeve
    (*)---I have to stop myself from automatically saying the "White tee"

As you can see, she was licking her lips at the thought and wanted some of that cash money herself thinking this is just like everyday for Damdai. Her eyes were locked in. I didn't tell her you're married, jump off it dragon lady, that's up to you. So you would have to tell this lady in the white dress yourself man. And if this was your real wife and this is some game you're playing, lol. There was some wedding reception going on in the same Hotel. She might be a straggler bridesmaid or something who wandered into the SFighter event that got loud and saw the big promotional checks!

1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

Yo, we got Asian girls hunting for rich top-players in ST? We're going full e-sports mode now. Here we go.
  • bkfst_sausagebkfst_sausage ST / SRK2k3 OG Joined: Posts: 2,802
    Congrats to @DamDai. I cheered/bet on Afro last time and this and came out even in the end. Good job.
    PSN: M1X4H < click it!
  • mrdhalsimmrdhalsim Joined: Posts: 378
    Great job Damdai!
    As you can see, she was licking her lips at the thought and wanted some of that cash money herself thinking this is just like everyday for Damdai. Her eyes were locked in.

• bookahbookah Joined: Posts: 29
    LOL, Afro's reckoning...

• MegamanX-8MegamanX-8 Robotic Warrior Joined: Posts: 141
    LOLOLOL priceless
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/nohonorcrew/

Cant have Honor when we dont have honor

XBL : WalkingDeadGuy9
    KI : Arbiter, Jago
    SFV: Zangief
    Pokken: Sceptile
    ST : Zangief, Ken, Ryu, N Sagat
    Fightcade : MegamanX8
  • sergjievsergjiev Arkadeum CEO Joined: Posts: 54
    LOLXLOLXLOLXLOLXLOLXLOLXLOLXLOLXLOLX!!!!!!!! You guys are fucking hillarious! <3
    Monday Night FightCade Super Turbo League
    http://arkadeum.com
    Necro-thread has risen.
  • -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276
    eltrouble wrote: »
    Necro-thread has risen.
    dont look at me this time

<blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!
    Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
167891012»