The Outrageous Newbie Thread (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE)

Comments

• Flashy NightsFlashy Nights Partial to long stories. Joined: Posts: 4,144
    Your hitting the last button twice.

If you do that combo as a chain and accidentally hit the s.RH twice you will get launcher every time.

If you can link whatever combo your talking about just link it, the damage is much better and the frame data is superior if its blocked.
    Oh I see, thanks for the answer, one more scrubby question.

Is it possible to use a H.P/H.K version special move for a ender after the chain or will launcher still come out?
    Umvc3: Magnus, DS, Dante /Dormammu, DS, Magnus
    SF4:M.Bison
  • JarekovJarekov Thou Art A Bear Joined: Posts: 1,995
    Oh I see, thanks for the answer, one more scrubby question.

Is it possible to use a H.P/H.K version special move for a ender after the chain or will launcher still come out?
    No you can only follow a chain with an ex move or a super art.

Thats why links are important in this game even though there are chains.

Chains also have worse frame data, so if you throw out lp mp hp chain a lot expect to get fucked up for it.
  • DiscountKingDiscountKing Joined: Posts: 10
    I just can't stand up to that cinnamon toast pressure he puts out.
    What do
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭✭
    rolentos biggest weakness is getting rushed down. if some how you can actually get in on him, he will have some trouble getting you off since he don't have the best gtfo moves.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • angryangry Vortex Joined: Posts: 14
    Anyone have a link to all of the titles listed? Can't find anything yet.
    10+ Year club.
  • AsicaAsica Joined: Posts: 146
    What is the Cross Art for Hiehachi and Sagat? I can't find these commands in the command list in game (only Super Art)

Is there a way to disable quick combos? I sometimes activate them by accident, so annoying /end noob
    KOFXIII: King, Andy, Ryo
    SSFIVAE2012: Sagat (Main), Abel (learning)
    SFxT: Hwoarang x Heihachi
    What is the Cross Art for Hiehachi and Sagat? I can't find these commands in the command list in game (only Super Art)

Is there a way to disable quick combos? I sometimes activate them by accident, so annoying /end noob
    Cross art is just qcf. mk+mp

Sadly no, i keep doing that shit too out of habit while trying to plink stuff... fucking hate it.
  • deadlotusdeadlotus #hustlebones Joined: Posts: 346

cross art is qcf and middle attacks.
    controller config- let every button have a command that isn't it or set it to "none".
    GT: DeadbeatLotus for free wins vs. a scrub in AE, UMVC, SC5, SFxT, KOF13 & Skullgirls.
  • incognegroincognegro Joined: Posts: 180
    I know that the links are timed but i don't get how to cancel into a special move. For example I was watching a video where Juri did cr. lp, s. lp, s.mp into qcf+k but when I try to do it I can't get the qcf+k to come out but when i just do s. mp then it does is there some specific property to the game that when more than one hit connects you can't cancel into a special just ex and supers?
    Dem bounce combos. Xiaoyu is like a gaping cavern of execution with a wooden post out front that says "abandon all hope ye who enter here."-soulsynapse
  • TwistedPruneTwistedPrune Joined: Posts: 113
    Could anyone explain the juggle system? It's something like once the opponent is airborne you are allowed X number of moves of each strength, where the strength categories are light, medium, hard normals, specials and maybe EX specials?

So e.g Chun Li can do b.mk, mk, jump cancel, j.hk, land, st.hk, jump cancel into head stomps, but can't land another hard kick here because she has hit two already?

Also I know that switch cancelling resets the juggle, but what about cross rush/launcher? And what about pandora? Any special rules for after wall bounces/ground bounces?

Does anyone know the damage boost on pandora with no gems?
  • D-bitD-bit Joined: Posts: 7
    Hey all!

I am feeling depressed, newbish, sad, defeated, and chagrined!

Many of the trials are quite easy and I've been going through them just to learn
    how characters are different in this game compared to others. I'm loving most
    of SFXT so far, though I am having a very frustrating issue!!

It seems that combos that require two or more normal its into a normal special
    just aren't coming out for me! What could I be doing wrong?!

Example:
    Juri's trial 17 has a string of St.LP, St.LK. Cr.MK, then the normal medium whirlwind.

An even more basic and embarrassing example is Raven's Trial 9!!
    It requires two crouching normals and a quarter circle forward normal and I can't
    get it out!!

Is the timing different in this game? Is there something I'm missing?

In SF4, KOF13, and a myriad of other fighters,.. this is never an issue.

Anyone else having this problem?
  • IONION Team AirTag Joined: Posts: 319
    snip

I had some trouble with some of the trials and I went to VesperArcade's youtube to see him do the trials, some I figured out on my own some I would have NEVER figured out like Heihachi's Trial where you have to do Headbutt into rising uppercut... Couldn't do it, felt impossible... went to VesperArcade to look at the trail and found out that you have to CHARGE the headbutt O.O doesn't say that anywhere... unless I overlooked it somewhere.

I know that the links are timed but i don't get how to cancel into a special move. For example I was watching a video where Juri did cr. lp, s. lp, s.mp into qcf+k but when I try to do it I can't get the qcf+k to come out but when i just do s. mp then it does is there some specific property to the game that when more than one hit connects you can't cancel into a special just ex and supers?

I believe that is at least partially true... I have only really been playing Tekken Characters but I noticed that Some characters have specific normals that are cancelable some are able to cancel into specials after only one hit with a normal others multiple hits... some HAVE to use EX's others don't and I haven't really thought about this but maybe only some specials can be canceled in to from only specific normals... it seems like every character has a different story about it. I kinda like that cause it makes you HAVE to go to training mode and trials to find out what your character can really do.
    www.Twitter.com/AirTag_Ion

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • The King of the NightThe King of the Night The Lame Mak Joined: Posts: 205
    I don't really have as much time as i'd like to spend in the lab these days. I play Makoto in sf4 and really love her reset potential. Has anyone found a character with a good set of reset moves? it's really how i love playing fighting games.

Right now i''m running Ken and Kazuya because it's still early and together the damage is ridiculous, but i'm really looking for a character that fits my style of play and have yet to see any tech of that sort. Anyone know of some good tech?
    GT: Mrblackhurrt
    SSf4AE: Makoto/Juri/Sagat/Cody/Yun/Zangief.
    Bring it.
  • YotsuYotsu Here on Official Cat Business Joined: Posts: 4
    Just thought I'd share an 'Aha!' moment I had stuck on trials 16+ with most characters.

If you're stuck on something (like Lili's 16th trial)

c.LP
    c.LP
    c.LK
    c.MK
    c.FK

That you need to remember what Dan told you, L > M > F chains. So what you want to do is link the first two then quickly mash out c.LK > c.MK > c.FK instead of trying to link it normally, treat it like a target combo in SF4AE.
  • DKLDKL Weeaboos unite! Joined: Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me how to access the record function in training mode?

I've checked button config and the options and can't seem to find it anywhere...

Thanks in advanced.

EDIT:

Oh, never mind.

There seems to be a "record" option in the "Opponent Actions" section.
    DKL's Wonderful World of Weeaboo Gaming: fulfilling all of your Wapaneeds!
    http://www.twitch.tv/dklgaming
  • D-bitD-bit Joined: Posts: 7
    Hey all!

I am feeling depressed, newbish, sad, defeated, and chagrined!

Many of the trials are quite easy and I've been going through them just to learn
    how characters are different in this game compared to others. I'm loving most
    of SFXT so far, though I am having a very frustrating issue!!

It seems that combos that require two or more normal its into a normal special
    just aren't coming out for me! What could I be doing wrong?!

Example:
    Juri's trial 17 has a string of St.LP, St.LK. Cr.MK, then the normal medium whirlwind.

An even more basic and embarrassing example is Raven's Trial 9!!
    It requires two crouching normals and a quarter circle forward normal and I can't
    get it out!!

Is the timing different in this game? Is there something I'm missing?

In SF4, KOF13, and a myriad of other fighters,.. this is never an issue.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for the help ION!

I got back from work and I figured out what I was doing wrong.
    (Adding this just in case anyone has this issue themself.)

It seems I was going way to fast!! I test this out a few times, and it seems you can't 'mesh' moves
    as closely with this game as you can others. Even in combos that seem more rushed, you have to
    slow down the input.

I really don't know they more detailed info. All I can say is...

Take Juri's trial 17. You have to Jump.MK-> St.LP -> St.LK -> Cr.MK -> Then Whirlwind -> ect...

I couldn't get the Whirlwind out even though my input was perfect on the left. After some time I
    just slowed down just for my own benefit.. but even slow it all hit and I completed it! So.. That's
    what my issue was with it!
    Is there a way to test overheads in training? All block just stands up from a crouch..
  • MrMuffinzzzMrMuffinzzz Joined: Posts: 17
  • pootnanniespootnannies hypocrite Joined: Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    you can't cancel into specials from chains, only ex and supers. most likely that combo you mention, the player linked into s.mp from s.lp so that he/she was able to cancel from the s.mp. so far that seems to be the only way to do it.
    as for those asking about auto combos. no they cannot be disabled unfortunately.
    visit the HD Sprite Thread- http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/hi-def-sprite-thread-first-post-updated-1-9.32449/

“... keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.”

xbl: pootnannies
    ggpo: whodat?
    what is an oki?
    Oki refers to Okizeme. Okizeme is a term used in fighting games to describe wake up games. When you knock a character down you are at the advantage and want to take advantage of it with your wake up game, or okizeme.
  • jaRedpilljaRedpill Joined: Posts: 45
    resets dont work the same in this game, everything juggles, except non-counter anti air
  • G-BoobieG-Boobie Business Apostate Joined: Posts: 390
    Thanks for the help ION!

I got back from work and I figured out what I was doing wrong.
    (Adding this just in case anyone has this issue themself.)

It seems I was going way to fast!! I test this out a few times, and it seems you can't 'mesh' moves
    as closely with this game as you can others. Even in combos that seem more rushed, you have to
    slow down the input.

I really don't know they more detailed info. All I can say is...

Take Juri's trial 17. You have to Jump.MK-> St.LP -> St.LK -> Cr.MK -> Then Whirlwind -> ect...

I couldn't get the Whirlwind out even though my input was perfect on the left. After some time I
    just slowed down just for my own benefit.. but even slow it all hit and I completed it! So.. That's
    what my issue was with it!

Here's a general rule of thumb I've found with combos that include chain combos: if you want to end with a cancel into special move, you MUST link the hit before it.

So, in the case of Juri's trial 17, you jump in MK, St.LP -> St.LK, -> LINK Cr.MK (because if you just mash out cr.MK it then counts as a chain) xx Mk. Senpusha and so on. You CANNOT cancel the last hit of a chain combo into a non EX special, at least with the Street Fighter characters, or Raven, Heihachi, Yoshimitsu or Bob on the Tekken side(since these are the only one's I've messed with so far. Maybe some of the others can, but I doubt it).

So, to summarize: if you are trying to end a chain with a special move, you must link the normal you want to cancel into special.
  • omegasinnocenceomegasinnocence Dat's My Word Joined: Posts: 142
    Is there a way to test overheads in training? All block just stands up from a crouch..

The only way I found was to use a recording. I recorded the dummy holding down-back for about 30 seconds and used the playback to test overheads.
    Roadhouse disciple
  • ghostiesghosties spooked ya Joined: Posts: 356
    Set them to crouch and all block. If they block high, it hits high, meaning it's an overhead.
  • Joe NamathJoe Namath Est. 1975. Street Fighting since '87. Joined: Posts: 3
    What do you guys think of Jin so far?
    When I got it I actually paired him up with Ryu first, but he felt kinda stiff. I need to work with him a little more because I'm interested in learning his move sets.
    Gamertag XBL: Joe Namath (SFII, SSFIIHDR, SFIIIOnline, MVC2, UMVC3, SSFIVAE, SFXTekken)
    Gamertag PSN: Joe_Greater (SsFIIHDR, MVC2, SSFIVAE)
  • Joe NamathJoe Namath Est. 1975. Street Fighting since '87. Joined: Posts: 3
    I wish they'd bring Time Attack back, that was one of my favorite modes to practice on.
    Gamertag XBL: Joe Namath (SFII, SSFIIHDR, SFIIIOnline, MVC2, UMVC3, SSFIVAE, SFXTekken)
    Gamertag PSN: Joe_Greater (SsFIIHDR, MVC2, SSFIVAE)
  • bambeebambee Joined: Posts: 22
    I just opened my PAL special edition of SFxTekken and there's no slip of paper with the bonus gems (not even on the instructions for the bank) are these on the disc or is mine missing? :x
  • NJMaedaNJMaeda Joined: Posts: 1
    For those who know about the 12 DLC characters, what is Elena's general playstyle? Do you think she would make a good team with Juri?

I apologize if this info has already been posted somewhere but I can't find any SFxT Elena threads.
  • Francys PaiFrancys Pai ☆ Resident Cynic ☆ Joined: Posts: 5,085
    I can do Cross arts with motion characters, but how on earth do you do the Tag ones with charge characters? It doesn't seem to work the same way. (IE like doing Bison's psycho punisher into Juri's Kaisen Dankairaku)
    MVY. Francys Pai | Eternal Blaze - Mad Vega Yomi forever <3
    "When one looks like glass, everything else looks to be made of stone."

Art blog; Scarlet Eyed Rätsel
  • SkywalkinSkywalkin Shoosh! Joined: Posts: 170
    I just opened my PAL special edition of SFxTekken and there's no slip of paper with the bonus gems (not even on the instructions for the bank) are these on the disc or is mine missing? :x

Have u checked the back of the comic book?
  • Captan SovietCaptan Soviet Joined: Posts: 149
    Hey guys, I'm having trouble plinking in this game. Any ideas? Specifically Akuma's s.HP > LK.Tatsu > s.HP > HP.SRK. Sorry for this complete scrub ass question. On a pad and not use to links in general.
  • Hell on EarthHell on Earth Most Badass Chief Joined: Posts: 45
    Basic noob question : What's the difference between a chain combo and a link combo ?. I heard people saying stuff like "you can't combo if you chain this but you can link it..."
    I'm at lost here and super confused.
    Basic noob question : What's the difference between a chain combo and a link combo ?. I heard people saying stuff like "you can't combo if you chain this but you can link it..."
    I'm at lost here and super confused.

Someone else can probably explain it better, but chains are when you go from a lower attack to a higher one (LP/LK -> MP/MK -> HP/HK) and can be input a lot faster, almost like cancelling speed (taptaptap). Links have to be done at a specific timing, when your character has just recovered from the previous one. I think links have to do with the frame data while chaining is more like dial-a-preset-combo.
  • Hell on EarthHell on Earth Most Badass Chief Joined: Posts: 45
    Someone else can probably explain it better, but chains are when you go from a lower attack to a higher one (LP/LK -> MP/MK -> HP/HK) and can be input a lot faster, almost like cancelling speed (taptaptap). Links have to be done at a specific timing, when your character has just recovered from the previous one. I think links have to do with the frame data while chaining is more like dial-a-preset-combo.

Thanks a bunch. That clarified a lot.

In that case I still have problems linking some inputs...like steve's cr. LP -> cr. LP. Do I have to press the buttons during the hit stun or during the recovery frame ? Either way I guess I have to pratice my reaction time...
    Thanks a bunch. That clarified a lot.

In that case I still have problems linking some inputs...like steve's cr. LP -> cr. LP. Do I have to press the buttons during the hit stun or during the recovery frame ? Either way I guess I have to pratice my reaction time...

The idea behind links is that you're not cancelling anything into anything: you recover with just enough time to hit them again. What that means is that you have to time your attacks carefully: it can take a little practice. Street Fighter IV is full of difficult 1 frame links, but there don't seem to be so many in SFxT. Someone mentioned above that most of the links in SFxT are 3 frame or better, which seems about right.

There's some cheats you can use to get better at linking your moves. One is "plinking". There's an entire section on it in the SFIV forums if you're interested. A better option in this game is double tapping, where instead of hitting a button once, you hit it twice very very quickly which gives you twice as many inputs and therefore twice as many "tries" to hit your link.
  • hayabusajdhayabusajd I know why I should've beat you= ultimate trolling Joined: Posts: 79
    This might be a generic question, what is a good way to transition from a sfiv mentality to sfxt? There are so many new game mechanics that I don't really know where to start. Obviously there are alot of things that you can use from sfiv but not all of them. I am finding that out the hard way. Is anyone else having a hard time?
    SFxT: Rolento/Kazuya, Ryu/Heihachi, (Guy)/Akuma. SSF4AE12: Guy, Akuma, Evil Ryu. UMvC3: X-23/Spiderman/Wolverine/Zero; Deadpool/Nova/Dormamu/Ghost Raider/Super Skrull; Sentinal/Hulk/Ironman/Ryu/Akuma. 3sOE: Ken, Akuma. MK9: Smoke, Sub Zero, Rain.T6:Bruce. So many games so many chances to choke.
  • TKD HwoarangTKD Hwoarang I. AM. GODLIKE!!!! Joined: Posts: 146
    Hey guys, I'm sorta new to fighting games and have been playing UMVC3 and SFxT for a while, It's really fun using a fightpad! But the thing is I was doing great my first two ranked matches in SFxT, but then I started getting handed to everyone I meet, I don't know what to do with the training mode but people say to practice moves with it. How should I practice, and what can I do to prevent me getting whooped again?
    SSF4:AE: Akuma, Dee Jay
    SFxT: Ken/Akuma
    UMVC3: Nova,X-23,Akuma
    SF3:3SOE: Ken, Akuma
  • JTShredderJTShredder Joined: Posts: 18
    Ryus trial 13 is jlk, crlk, crlp, srk. I'm finding it impossible to get the srk out? When I try just crlp canceling into srk I can do it no problems, but if I just add crlk to make crlk, crlp, srk the srk never works. I feel as though I'm canceling to the srk exactly the same in both cases?
  • InokiInoki My Rival is Lag Joined: Posts: 95
    Hey guys, I'm sorta new to fighting games and have been playing UMVC3 and SFxT for a while, It's really fun using a fightpad! But the thing is I was doing great my first two ranked matches in SFxT, but then I started getting handed to everyone I meet, I don't know what to do with the training mode but people say to practice moves with it. How should I practice, and what can I do to prevent me getting whooped again?

Practicing individual moves is more for trials; I'd use training mode to work on executing combos that people are coming up in your team's individual character forums with.

The alternative is use training mode to work out specific situations where you want to be able to react, like dealing with projectile spam at different ranges. It's hard to say what you'd need to improve without seeing what you're doing wrong, but take a look at your past replays. Is there a common theme of things you're having difficulty dealing with? Maybe that's a place to start.
    XBL: Inoki Shinka
    PSN: InokiShinka
    Steam: A T-Rex Flying a Jet
    "Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Be water, my friend." - Bruce Lee
  • GideonGideon Joined: Posts: 16
    Ryus trial 13 is jlk, crlk, crlp, srk. I'm finding it impossible to get the srk out? When I try just crlp canceling into srk I can do it no problems, but if I just add crlk to make crlk, crlp, srk the srk never works. I feel as though I'm canceling to the srk exactly the same in both cases?

Yes I agree the timing seems different.

Things that seemed to help me
    1. Do h.srk (not sure if this is needed but it was working for me)
    2. Hold down forward-down for the crouch (on a stick), so you can execute your srk quicker.
    3. Maybe slow down a little bit, for me I wasn't getting it so I kept going faster and faster, then I tried to slow it down a little bit, and bingo.

I hope you get it soon :)

You must link the crlk and crlp together for the SRK to come out. If you played SF4, there was a lot of this. Chances are, you just need to slow down.
  • caliberclarkcaliberclark Joined: Posts: 90
    Im sorry but a really noobish question. Last night i tried to play with a friend online who was on another console at another location. I was trying to play against him. No matter what we did we were always on the same team. Can some one walk me through the steps to play against him? Seemed like we went through all the modes and we could not even train against each other or play endless specifically against each other. Thanks! Some one add me if you are looking to train some. I need it bad. I feel like im starting all over again. I cant combo, i get caught by every super online and that damn roll!!!! Hugo was scary in 3rd strike and even scarier in the right hands on sfxt
  • jimmypoopinsjimmypoopins Joined: Posts: 13
    Does anyone have advice on a good character to pair with Nina that is easy to learn with good footsies?

I'm fairly new to fighting games. I was decent at mvc3 but I feel like that game relied less on footsies and I'm trying to pick up those fundamentals. I tried Ryu but I have habits from when I played fighting games when I was a little kid that I can't break (too many specials, really bad up close game, not using the right normals) and they're hard to break so I was hoping someone other than him.

Thanks for the help!
  • HZ!HZ! Freddy Kreuger's dayjob Joined: Posts: 189
    how do you do teh Kazyua Mis step move .... ugh everytime i do it he just stands there.
    Once, when I was a kid, I asked my dad, who was watching TV in the living room, if I could watch cartoons. He said "sure son! Right after the news goes off." and promply changed the channel to CNN.

............I waited for 6 hours before I finally figured out the news wasn't going off
    -Azrael-sama
  • Kototsuki_NinKototsuki_Nin Joined: Posts: 13
    So how exactly can you play 1 PS3 console - 2 players co-op?

Is it in the online menu somewhere? Couldnt find it :(
  • Tiger_ClawTiger_Claw Hyouuuuu! Joined: Posts: 497 ✭✭
    Ok got some questions.
    1. how many types of knockdowns are there? (and please give examples)
    2. during those knockdowns what are my options on recovery? can i back/forward roll, quick wake-up?
  • ViddVidd Joined: Posts: 515
    So how exactly can you play 1 PS3 console - 2 players co-op?

Is it in the online menu somewhere? Couldnt find it :(
    On the character select screen, you press Start on the second controller you want to use.
  • SkywalkinSkywalkin Shoosh! Joined: Posts: 170
    Just need some confirmation, does rolling follow the same rules as quick rising i.e. not after a Untechable knockdown? Also actually inputting the roll im getting inconsistent results, sometimes it works, sometimes not. So its just forward as soon as u hit the ground or...?
  • Kototsuki_NinKototsuki_Nin Joined: Posts: 13
    On the character select screen, you press Start on the second controller you want to use.

Thanks a lot :) If you disc controller 2 during the match the controls doesnt refer back to player 1.

I cannot access some of the options in the replay channel. Character channel just stays on "transmitting data"
    Does anyone else have the same problem?
  • FavaroFavaro Joined: Posts: 101
    Just curious (tekken player here, haven't quite played any SF since SF2 many years ago), but is there any general opinion on whether or not playing scrims vs. computer setups on hardest difficulty is a good way to train? Or am I going to develop bad habits (Ie. vs. CPU Gief/Hugo it can be pretty disgusting trying to turtle it out)

Also, as a pad player (PS3), is it normal to have problems nailing Bison's B&B combos like cr.lk(x4)+lk scissors? I absolutely love his normals, but I can't seem to hit his (charge based) combos with much consistency. Is it advisable to refer to SF4 information for the SF cast like Bison in this game? I don't know if the two games share exact combo possibilities
    "they were right, the SRK forums are full of trolls and stream monsters"