The Outrageous Newbie Thread (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE)

d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber OverrideJoined: Posts: 22,805 mod
Taking an idea from the and Tech Talk section where we have one thread for anyone and everyone to ask their newbie questions.

Welcome to Street Fighter X Tekken
Street Fighter X Tekken is Capcom's crossover game between their Street Fighter and Namco's Tekken franchises. Seeing as it is a crossover between two fighting franchises there are bound to be many new techniques, mechanics, etc. on top of new tactics and strategies. With all these, then people are bound to have many questions. If you find yourself needing to ask these questions, feel free to post them here and someone more familiar with the game will come and assist you.

Rules:
  • No trolling, no snark.
  • Be helpful at all times.
  • Avoid asking repeat questions, try to see if your question has already been asked/answered.
  • Keep your questions to SFxT only. For general fighting game questions, use the [URL='http://Observe proper forum etiquette. As much as possible']Newbie Dojo[/URL].
Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
-KR|PromilKid

Comments

• d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 22,805 mod
    Reserved for Info and F.A.Q.s
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

• GefenGefen Joined: Posts: 1,334 ✭✭
    Can anyone suggest on reliable USB splitter (aka minimum delay) for 2v2 play with 4 arcade sticks?
  • NedoNedo Joined: Posts: 224
    What I don't understand yet:

Can every character chain the same normals or is it characterspecific?
  • MACHSHOMACHSHO PS3: MACHSHO Joined: Posts: 156
    How do i get 2 console players vs online to work on XBL??
    SF2-3S-Ken~~POWERSTONE: Wangtang~~RIVAL SCHOOLS: Batsu
    SFA3-SSF4: Cody~~UMVC: Viewtiful Joe, Haggar, Amaterasu, Doom, P Wright~~SFxT: Poison, Hugo, Cody
  • GefenGefen Joined: Posts: 1,334 ✭✭
    What I don't understand yet:

Can every character chain the same normals or is it characterspecific?
    There are universal chains (L M H) and there are characters specific chains (unique to each character)
    There are universal chains (L M H) and there are characters specific chains (unique to each character)
    So L, M, H always work?

I am asking because I saw a video of Akuma linking cr.MP -> cr.HP. Shouldn't this be a chain, too?
    Sry for asking, the game isn't out yet in europe ^^
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a demo of the game available on ps3? Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open.
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • PhlisPhlis Joined: Posts: 104
    Can someone explain the combo/juggle system to me? I heard it was 5 hits to a juggle, but hten if you tag in it gets reset?

When does a juggle start, like two of Chun's trials are:
    Trial 15 cr. LK, cr. LP, st. LP > st. MP > cl. HK > EX HSU
    and
    Trail 14 EX. HSU > cl. HK > U/UF > d. MK > d. MK > d. MK

Can all of that combo?

Also there's
    Trial 19 cl. HK > LK HSU, st. LK > st. MP > st HP > Super

I'm thinking there is a very long combo here, that I can't try it because I'm at work.

And how many ground/wall bounces can you use?
    You the Plains Indians and we some small pox blankets. We devastatan nations son. Destroyan yo way a life.
  • konakona KAYO HAATO~! <3 Joined: Posts: 1,012
    How are gems to be handled in a tournament environment?
    Forget the luggage. Bring the Snuggie.
  • otoriotori Keep calm and huehuehue Joined: Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭✭
    So L, M, H always work?

I am asking because I saw a video of Akuma linking cr.MP -> cr.HP. Shouldn't this be a chain, too?
    Sry for asking, the game isn't out yet in europe ^^

LMH always works, it's universal. You can't cancel these into regular moves, only ex and supers.
    Some characters, specially tekken characters, have specific chains (ie.: Ken's mp x hp, Law's f.lp x6, etc. These chains can or cannot be special and super cancellable, depends on the character and the chain.
    This game still has links like sf4 (except they're all much, much, MUCH easier in this game). The benefit is that links retain the normal's properties of being special cancellable and/or super cancellable unlike chains.

Akuma's cr.mp, cr.hp could be a chain or a link. Most likely a chain, because he couldn't do this link in sf4 and I don't think they changed it for this game.
    Is there a demo of the game available on ps3? Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

There will be no demo for this game.
  • JarekovJarekov Thou Art A Bear Joined: Posts: 1,995
    One other thing to remember is that chaining normals gives the moves different properties and damage as opposed to linking them. If you chain something that could be linked your always going to have worse frame data and less damage, so links are very important in this.
  • echelonNYKechelonNYK i like em slow and powerful *kappa* Joined: Posts: 876 ✭✭✭
    I'm stuck in tutorial on the cross rush combo part. Such a noob, smh
  • OhMyPoshOhMyPosh Joined: Posts: 7
    So up until the game's release I had set in stone that my team would consist of Poison/Lili, but now I'm having second doubts. I'm somewhat new to the fighter scene and I'm just confused on what team is exactly the best team for me. I was thinking of going with Nina/Heihachi...but I don't know if that's a good team or not. I could really use someone's opinion on my choices.
  • ChanureChanure Stick Noob! Joined: Posts: 147
  • KamTxKamTx Unblockable Arts Joined: Posts: 244
    I have trouble on hitting link timing, most tutorial 16's for most characters I get stuck on, is there a trick to it? Im not using my stick im using the fightpad, maybe that's throwing me off? I feel right now they wouldnt be useful in game.
    PSN: TXImperial
  • SteelgutteySteelguttey MoThErFuCkEr Joined: Posts: 728
    I couldn't find a Q+A thread so I guess this is it.

Can anyone with the PS3 version (or the glitched xbox version) show us a quick video or pictures of Pac-man's movelist?
    XBL: Steelguttey
    UMVC3: Main: Amaterasu (Cold Star), Frank West (Shopping Cart), Dante (Jam Session)
  • leksDiamondsleksDiamonds Joined: Posts: 5
    are links just timing? is there any other tricks to hitting them cuz im baffled right now lol
    are links just timing? is there any other tricks to hitting them cuz im baffled right now lol
    If you pm me a specific combo I will do my best to help you with it, but yeah links are just timing, some are more awkward then others. For the most part links are easier in this game ( way more 3 frame links then 1 frame links ) so double tapping is a very efficient method.
    So up until the game's release I had set in stone that my team would consist of Poison/Lili, but now I'm having second doubts. I'm somewhat new to the fighter scene and I'm just confused on what team is exactly the best team for me. I was thinking of going with Nina/Heihachi...but I don't know if that's a good team or not. I could really use someone's opinion on my choices.

Poison and Lili both have low health so they aren't the best to learn on if your still new to the fighting game scene.

Grapplers are a good spot to start, they teach you to rely on footsies and get you good at spacing. They also have more health so you have a bit of a fail safe. This game is really footsie dependent so learning that as well as you can is very important.

Try out a team of hugo on point, and then ryu/ken. Hugo is actually one of the better grapplers to come out of a capcom game in sometime, he does great damage and has amazing tools to work with. Shoto characters will teach you basics with a non grappler, which is important because most people shy away from grapplers as the game develops more.
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭
    Hey I'm not able to pick up my copy of the game until the end of the week and I am going to enter in a tournament one week after I own the game. I want help picking my main team. I want to play a complete rushdown, mixup game. I would prefer not to play a grappler or charge character, I would like characters that have a reliable anti-air. The team I have put some thought into is Kazuya/Rolento, however Ryu would be a good character as well but imo doesn't fit the bill for a rushdown character. What are your guys thoughts or suggestions?
  • ogerrob147ogerrob147 Robbles Joined: Posts: 51
    S there a way to cancel Into the hard version of a special move off of the end of a lmh chain? Like lmh to hard shoryu? Launcher seems to come out every time even if I do the special move motion.
    Hey I'm not able to pick up my copy of the game until the end of the week and I am going to enter in a tournament one week after I own the game. I want help picking my main team. I want to play a complete rushdown, mixup game. I would prefer not to play a grappler or charge character, I would like characters that have a reliable anti-air. The team I have put some thought into is Kazuya/Rolento, however Ryu would be a good character as well but imo doesn't fit the bill for a rushdown character. What are your guys thoughts or suggestions?
    Rolento is very good at rushdown, kazuya is ok but his AA game is weak and his wakeup options suck so he will be getting rushed down a lot.

For a second character Abel is looking good, he's not really a true grappler anyway. Ibuki also seems to be a good offensive character.
    S there a way to cancel Into the hard version of a special move off of the end of a lmh chain? Like lmh to hard shoryu? Launcher seems to come out every time even if I do the special move motion.

You can only do EX special move cancels at the end of chains. if you link lmh you can do whatever you want ( assuming the heavy is cancelable ).
  • IcemanIceman Joined: Posts: 1,364
    Does anyone know how to unlock more than 4 colors for color edit?
  • InokiInoki Better late than never... Let's go Caps. Joined: Posts: 94
    Does anyone know how to unlock more than 4 colors for color edit?
    I believe this is going to be (free) dlc down the line.
    Are there taunts?

Taunts are done with the Back/Select button.
    XBL / GFWL: Inoki Shinka
    PSN: InokiShinka
    Learning to relax during both Hockey and Fighting Games.
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭
    Rolento is very good at rushdown, kazuya is ok but his AA game is weak and his wakeup options suck so he will be getting rushed down a lot.

For a second character Abel is looking good, he's not really a true grappler anyway. Ibuki also seems to be a good offensive character.
    thanks for the advice brah. ill check out abel when i get the game. im gonna pass on ibuki. is there any tekken characters with an "uppercut"?
    LMH always works, it's universal. You can't cancel these into regular moves, only ex and supers.
    Some characters, specially tekken characters, have specific chains (ie.: Ken's mp x hp, Law's f.lp x6, etc. These chains can or cannot be special and super cancellable, depends on the character and the chain.
    This game still has links like sf4 (except they're all much, much, MUCH easier in this game). The benefit is that links retain the normal's properties of being special cancellable and/or super cancellable unlike chains.

Akuma's cr.mp, cr.hp could be a chain or a link. Most likely a chain, because he couldn't do this link in sf4 and I don't think they changed it for this game.

There will be no demo for this game.
    Can the LMH chains only be done standing or even crouching or even mixed up? =) Thanks for answering otori ;P
  • Shodokan123Shodokan123 3s 4 Life Joined: Posts: 3,373 ✭✭
    What do vs rolls? They seem super safe even vs jumpins. Atleast the game on block all says it can block anything after the roll.
    Stupid games...
  • donniedonnie 혼혈 Joined: Posts: 155
    Hey guys, having problems linking lights to mediums.
    If they're too fast, they chain, if they're too slow, nothing comes out.

But since chains still hit, I'm having trouble figuring out if they're actually links or chains. So often I'll try to link but end up chaining and having my special move not coming out.

Any general tips for this?
    It was much easier in SF4 since moves would just not come out at all or get blocked.
    San Diego
    thanks for the advice brah. ill check out abel when i get the game. im gonna pass on ibuki. is there any tekken characters with an "uppercut"?
    Yeah, jin, kazuya, heihachi have the forward, stick to neutral, down, then down forward lp uppercuts, i don't think they work as wakeup options though because the movement is needed for the uppercut to come out.

A bunch of the tekken characters have up kicks like yang and jun from the sf series, function like an srk for the most part.
  • echelonNYKechelonNYK i like em slow and powerful *kappa* Joined: Posts: 876 ✭✭✭
    Are all the character based titles in black in white?
    No some are in red, I think you get one for beating arcade with that character and the rest from doing trials, but I could be wrong.
  • IkouzeIkouze Shotokan Warrior Joined: Posts: 82
    Is Hwoarang a good beginner character? I played him in Tekken 6 and I was wondering how he was in this game.
    Team Everybody Mad for UMVC3 - M.O.D.O.K, Phoenix Wright, Rocket Raccoon
    Is Hwoarang a good beginner character? I played him in Tekken 6 and I was wondering how he was in this game.
    If you played him in 6 then you should be good with the transition, he still has the left right stances which is awesome.

Yeah he is very good in this from what I can tell.
    Thanks, Jarekov

Btw, can you tell me how to perform the cross cancel in tutorial? It's starting to tick me off.
    [SIZE=18px] [/SIZE]
    Thanks, Jarekov

Btw, can you tell me how to perform the cross cancel in tutorial? It's starting to tick me off.
    Yeah its a bit tricky at first.

Its basically just block and then at the right time hit forward plus hp+hk. Its pretty quick... idk how to explain this in easy to explain terms, as soon as you see that blue shit that implies your blocking hit forward. hp+hk. The timing isnt easy so it'll take some practicing.

Just go fast and your good, thats what I do when I do them in matches and it works lol.
  • lazybird123lazybird123 Joined: Posts: 1
    Excellent thread for us newbies.

1) How do you perform the roll?
    2) What are some good universal ways to get in in this game? I've been doing mostly Jump-ins which is getting me anti-aired.
    Hey I know this has been going on before but can someone explain or link me to explain tick throwing and p-linking in this game? thanks..
  • AvesNinjaAvesNinja Full Hp or 1 Hp, I never give up Joined: Posts: 12
    Hey I have been getting completely bodied in online and was wondering if there are any good videos or guides on basic fundamentals. I usually play rolento/ken.

Thanks!!
    I will never die until I achieve something great. Even though the ideal is high I will never give in therefore, I will never die with regrets.
  • holdthephoneholdthephone Joined: Posts: 126
    What is the precise input for the roll escape on wake up?
  • Kyle AndersonKyle Anderson Joined: Posts: 53
    What is the precise input for the roll escape on wake up?
    Hold down Forward.
    Excellent thread for us newbies.

1) How do you perform the roll?
    2) What are some good universal ways to get in in this game? I've been doing mostly Jump-ins which is getting me anti-aired.

1. to roll just hold forward during your recovery frames.
    2. There aren't really universal options for this besides jumping over fireballs when you can do it safely, and neutral jumping when your too far out. If you give me an idea of the characters you want to play I can tell you. ( I'm assuming your talking about getting zoned heavily )
    Hey I know this has been going on before but can someone explain or link me to explain tick throwing and p-linking in this game? thanks..

Tick throws are just getting someone to block and anticipate a block string, then cutting the block string short and going for a throw. A good example is ryu cr. lp cr. lp cr. mp st. mk xx hadoken, this would be a block string. If you train your opponent to keep blocking your block strings you can not perform the cr. mp and walk and throw.

Plinking or priority linking is a way to make 1 frame links more manageable.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/srk-newbie-saikyo-dojo-execution-guide-read-me.102691/
    This thread is one of the best on srk and will help you out a ton, look for the plinking info in there because they will explain it far better than I can.
    Hey I have been getting completely bodied in online and was wondering if there are any good videos or guides on basic fundamentals. I usually play rolento/ken.

Thanks!!

There isn't anything that is out for sfxt that has covered basics very well that I have seen. When my friends pick up any of the sf4 series I have them watch this cause its very basic and isn't the worst thing to watch.

Watch videos of good players playing rolento and ken, and learn your punishes and what is safe and what isn't, practice your BNB's and start trying to get a feel for when you should be blocking and not throwing out buttons... I know that sounds stupid but a lot of people who really struggle with SF games are hitting buttons and throwing out pokes at stupid as hell times instead of being patient.

If you ever get a chance upload a video of you playing and post it in here, getting to see someone play allows us to help you much more.
    thanks. I guess I dont know where to start, I have a hard time visually recognizing things, like if the string to links im using arent interruptable. etc...
  • Scar-CrowScar-Crow With The Fury Joined: Posts: 148
    What do you guys think of Jin so far?
    One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.

XBL: OrlandoPwnage
    SFxT: jin/hugo... UMVC3: Felecia, Doctor Doom, Amaterasu... SSF4: evil ryu, guile, learning c.viper...
    thanks. I guess I dont know where to start, I have a hard time visually recognizing things, like if the string to links im using arent interruptable. etc...
    Its all character specific and matchup specific, some characters lack a reversal option to break even a sketchy block string. Look at frame data and figure out whats up for the most part. Sooner or later block strings will be posted in combo threads for all characters its just finding what works best and mulling over the
    frame data.
    Really good but very technical, does really good damage but is very weak defensively.

High risk high reward character for sure, if you can control the pace of the match and dictate positioning you can dominate with him. But once he starts getting pressured he kind of falls apart.
  • deadlotusdeadlotus #hustlebones Joined: Posts: 346
    Online, how do you set gems to on/off? Do they show up in ranked?
    GT: DeadbeatLotus for free wins vs. a scrub in AE, UMVC, SC5, SFxT, KOF13 & Skullgirls.
    Online, how do you set gems to on/off? Do they show up in ranked?
    Afaik you can't, I believe you can set your load outs to not having gems though. And yes gems are part of ranked play.
  • ShawnzzyShawnzzy > v \ + P = :) Joined: Posts: 7
    Jin has been one of my main characters thus far. He has a pretty strong rush as well as some zoning potential. The main problem I'm seeing is that Kazuya can fill the same role as Jin in a team much more effectively.
  • Flashy NightsFlashy Nights Partial to long stories. Joined: Posts: 4,144
    Why is it that evertime I do s.LP s.MP s.KP launcher come out as the ender?

is that normal?
    Umvc3: Magnus, DS, Dante /Dormammu, DS, Magnus
    SF4:M.Bison
    Why is it that evertime I do s.LP s.MP s.KP launcher come out as the ender?

is that normal?
    Your hitting the last button twice.

If you do that combo as a chain and accidentally hit the s.RH twice you will get launcher every time.

If you can link whatever combo your talking about just link it, the damage is much better and the frame data is superior if its blocked.
  • THATNI666ALEXLUGERTHATNI666ALEXLUGER Joined: Posts: 124

the base are black and white, red and yellow for beating arcade mode on different difficulties and blue for completing all of their trials
  • incognegroincognegro Joined: Posts: 176
    I know that the links are timed but i don't get how to cancel into a special move. For example I was watching a video where Juri did cr. lp, s. lp, s.mp into qcf+k but when I try to do it I can't get the qcf+k to come out but when i just do s. mp then it does is there some specific property to the game that when more than one hit connects you can't cancel into a special just ex and supers?
    Dem bounce combos. Xiaoyu is like a gaping cavern of execution with a wooden post out front that says "abandon all hope ye who enter here."-soulsynapse