The Official Team Building Thread

TrappedInLimboTrappedInLimbo SEVEN RINGS OF RAGGADORJoined: Posts: 35
Any questions about how you should create your team or anything else to do with team creations go here.
SSF4 AE: Chun Li
SFxT: Chun Li/Lili, Chun Li/Rolento
UMVC3: Felicia/Magneto/Chun Li
SC5: Patrokolos

Comments

• DiscountKingDiscountKing Joined: Posts: 10
  • InokiInoki My Rival is Lag Joined: Posts: 95
    Still trying to figure out my team for sure, but it looks like it'll be Hwoarang/Abel, but I'm not sure of the order.

I think Hwoarang does better with meter for longer combos, but the only meter-building gem setup I could consistently with Abel is using the Cross Gauge gems based off connecting with specials. I can use less meter with Abel, mostly using EX change of direction to beat pokes.

I guess my questions are: If order is important, which character should be taking point? Then, how do I maximize gems to support each of them in their position?
    XBL: Inoki Shinka
    PSN: InokiShinka
    Steam: A T-Rex Flying a Jet
    "Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Be water, my friend." - Bruce Lee
  • TimemuffinTimemuffin The Avid Fighter Joined: Posts: 40
    I'm trying to get someone to fit with King. I'm thinking Kazuya, Akuma or Sagat - not sure though.
    UMVC3: Wolverine/Akuma/TaskmasterSFXT: Sagat/King The Kings
  • SinekyreSinekyre Joined: Posts: 70
    I made a thread identical to this one, a few hours ago..-> http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/team-combinations-thread-whats-your-team.156218/#post-6632016

It's on page ONE of the sub-forum. Perhaps a search is in order?
    In a hundred years, everything is forgotten. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXr2iAQTMo0
  • SPECTERLIGHTSPECTERLIGHT Chimes At Midnight Joined: Posts: 702
    There are way too many interesting characters in this game. I am drawn to the Tekken cast as I have been more of an SF player and find the movesets interesting.
    I played Raven, Feng Wei, Bryan and Nina in T5 (just because the characters were interesting & was beginning to learn King & Julia). still haven't played 6, as I have yet to buy that and KOF13.
    I definitely like Raven, (fuck tiers and tears), am waiting for Guy & Bryan, messing around with Nina, Kazuya, Julia and King. Juri is interesting to me, as she is the first Korean SF character. What would Hwoar & Juri be like? That's now Team Korea.
    My initial thought was to run Guy and Ibuki. Maybe I'll work on Raven & Ibuki.
    Brainstorming Team Vortex (Akuma & Ibuki);Nina & Cammy.

Too many choices!!! Perhaps I'll do the Mad Hatter and pick them randomly...
    Ideas?
    Disciplines: Bushin-Ryu-Ninpo, Street Fighting, Demonology, IGA Ninjitsu, Bushido, Alchemy, English Boxing, Wing Chun, Shaolin Gung Fu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Igyo Tenshin-no-Jutsu, SFCQC, Swordplay, Garou Ryū MMA, Kusanagi Ryū Kobujutsu, Yagami M.Arts, Gun Kata...
    “There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.” 武神

RIN-PYOU-TOU-SHA-KAI-JIN-RETSU-ZAI-ZEN
  • randomrafflerandomraffle Joined: Posts: 6
    I'm trying to get someone to fit with King. I'm thinking Kazuya, Akuma or Sagat - not sure though.

My main team is Sagat/King
    I think they work pretty well together.
  • rokninroknin Keeps Trying Joined: Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now, I'm working a bit of a four person rotation between Juri (my main), Cammy, Lili and Julia. Out of those, I'm running Juri/Cammy as my main team and Juri/Lili as my secondary (while playing with Cammy/Lili and Juri/Julia as well), with my end goal being to make Juri/Lili my main team soon.

Juri/Cammy works well for me right now since I don't use much meter for Juri (when I play her right), letting her act as a battery for Cammy. Juri's also a great teammate to get others in without having to use boost chains, so that is a plus in the damage department. I have Juri in front primarily because she is my best character, but also to establish the pace and try to frustrate my opponent with her zoning, force them into a bad jump or other mistake, hit a damaging tag combo and then stay in their face with Cammy off the switch. Another plus is that while Juri has some decent execution barriers, overall the team has pretty easy execution. When I eff up, 90% of the time it's me dropping combos all over the floor, interweb lagging aside.

The drawback, of course, is health. And my main problem is I keep forgetting that I'm supposed to zone with my Juri :sweat:, and only rush down if I'm very confident I won't lose my pressure. (My footsies need major help as well, so there is that lol)

If there's one thing I don't like, it's that the team does feel very linear. I feel like I'm missing out on some devious mixups that I can get with the Tekken side of the cast... thus, I'm hoping to make Juri/Lili my main team in the near future.

I'm still working on what my gameplan is with Juri/Lili, though it's really similar to Juri/Cammy right now, just with added mixups and frame traps and shenanigans from Lili mixed in. My Lili is ass right now, but I'm spending more time in the lab with her and my lead-off characters this week and trying to tighten up execution and optimize things.

Julia's just a fun option for me from time to time. Because I fuggin :lovin: Julia.
    ~ aka "ninrok" aka "waifufighter" ~
    SFxT - Juri (Cammy) x Jack/ Julia x Law | Smash - Zelda, Bowser Jr., ROB, Lucina
    youtube | soundcloud | tumblr
  • echelonNYKechelonNYK Hi, Phil Swift here Joined: Posts: 929 ✭✭✭
  • GalaticBroskiGalaticBroski If there's grass on the Infield play ball Joined: Posts: 74
    My team right now is Chun Li / Jin. I picked these two a day ago but Im comfortable using Chun cuz she's my main in AE. Jin is a good character and I have him as the anchor of my team even though people say he's better on point. This team have good synergy and using Chun is helping me work on my footsie game cuz it's trash lol. When Im in the lab I tend to work with jin more because he requires a good execution with his combos. I also work with mental awareness canceling into powerstance combos and also special step. I work on tag combos with both characters but mainly Chun because Jin is who im looking for when It comes to damage. Chun role for my team is to build meter with her zoning game and also mixup's with pokes for tag in. Jin role is to bring that damage and also mixup my opponent.

Some things I hate is that Chun doesn't have a good reversal. SBK is..eh but usually gets stuffed. Also she can't handle pressure. Also, she need some more damage. Either than that Im fine with the way Chun is. I love her and she's always been my favorite street fighter character. Plus DEM THIGHS!:lovin:

As for Jin I think he's a solid character. I love his mixup game and has good damage. Hate that the range on some of his normals is..eh lol. Either than that I think he's good and pairs well with most of the cast.

I believe this is gonna be my main team from now on and Im having fun most importantly learning. Losing don't even get to me because I know it's a growing process.

Im looking to learn some more characters in the future. Some other teams I play on the side is Yoshimitsu / Julia, Raven / Asuka, and Julia / Abel.
    Learning that Bushinryu Ninjutsu
    Well, while I'm here: anyone have any general team-building thoughts or suggestions they want to add in? This could be a good place to start outlining the how's and why's of putting certain characters on point or as anchor, and all that intricate jazz.
    Go for the heavy hitters man.

I can't! Every time I go for a heavy hitter, I miss my speedy, low-health girls!

In all seriousness, I play Kuma, King and Bob every once in a blue moon but I'm horrible widd'em. Akuma's on my list as the only SF shoto not named Sakura (I assume she still counts as a shoto) that I'll play, while Vega and Jin are on my long list of "someday" characters.
    SFxT - Juri (Cammy) x Jack/ Julia x Law | Smash - Zelda, Bowser Jr., ROB, Lucina
  • GalaticBroskiGalaticBroski If there's grass on the Infield play ball Joined: Posts: 74
    Well, while I'm here: anyone have any general team-building thoughts or suggestions they want to add in? This could be a good place to start outlining the how's and why's of putting certain characters on point or as anchor, and all that intricate jazz.

I can't! Every time I go for a heavy hitter, I miss my speedy, low-health girls!

In all seriousness, I play Kuma, King and Bob every once in a blue moon but I'm horrible widd'em. Akuma's on my list as the only SF shoto not named Sakura (I assume she still counts as a shoto) that I'll play, while Vega and Jin are on my long list of "someday" characters.
    Lol I know how you feel about using female characters. I don't know what it is I just gotta use a female character. It's been like that since I started playing CvS2 on dreamcast in 01. But yeah.. maybe using a heavy hitter with your Juri or Lili would benefit you. To the point where you won't be worrying about health all the time. Maybe like Juri and Law since Law pairs well with like everyone lol. Maybe Juri & Kazuya. FUCK HUGO! That character is for only going nuts with from what I see lol. I would recommend Steve cuz he's damage is STUPID! but I don't know if he's good with Juri since I never played her
    Lol I know how you feel about using female characters. I don't know what it is I just gotta use a female character. It's been like that since I started playing CvS2 on dreamcast in 01.

Lmao, same here, I played Chun-li and Ken in pretty much any game they were in, then over time drifted more to the females in every game. I still play some dudes - love me some Lei and Feng Wei, forever a Shuma fan... wait, Shuma does count as male right?

Anyway... yah, girls, girls, girls girls. Especially the bad-ass ones.
    But yeah.. maybe using a heavy hitter with your Juri or Lili would benefit you. To the point where you won't be worrying about health all the time. Maybe like Juri and Law since Law pairs well with like everyone lol. Maybe Juri & Kazuya. FUCK HUGO! That character is for only going nuts with from what I see lol. I would recommend Steve cuz he's damage is STUPID! but I don't know if he's good with Juri

Oh I'm pretty much settled on my main rotation, I fully accept my health penalty. XD I was really saying that more as far as general for anyone else that may need help building their team. Although you make a good point, and both Kaz and Law are good suggestions (and characters I did consider).
    Update..
    Cammy seems stupid easy to use, or perhaps it's just the decades of SF play. Ibuki has some execution barriers, thus I've sidelined that idea.
    I'm currently thinking Raven, Kazuya, Nina & Julia on the Tekken side. Gouki is automatic for me, Cammy has some great tools, haven't messed with Juri in this game yet. She's next in the dojo & I'll probably throw in Rang as well. Guy & Bryan cannot be released soon enough!!!

I keep thinking Ryu/Sagat simply for the Dragon vs Tiger theme, yet they'd be working in tandem instead of their eternal battle. Gouki/Ryu for the whole ChiaroScuro aesthetic that I personify... :badboy: I'm just trying not to go Shoto. Too many damn Shoto-clones, savvy?

I'd definitely appreciate any constructive feedback... :wonder:
    Disciplines: Bushin-Ryu-Ninpo, Street Fighting, Demonology, IGA Ninjitsu, Bushido, Alchemy, English Boxing, Wing Chun, Shaolin Gung Fu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Igyo Tenshin-no-Jutsu, SFCQC, Swordplay, Garou Ryū MMA, Kusanagi Ryū Kobujutsu, Yagami M.Arts, Gun Kata...
    “There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.” 武神

Update..
    Cammy seems stupid easy to use, or perhaps it's just the decades of SF play. Ibuki has some execution barriers, thus I've sidelined that idea.
    I'm currently thinking Raven, Kazuya, Nina & Julia on the Tekken side. Gouki is automatic for me, Cammy has some great tools, haven't messed with Juri in this game yet. She's next in the dojo & I'll probably throw in Rang as well. Guy & Bryan cannot be released soon enough!!!

I keep thinking Ryu/Sagat simply for the Dragon vs Tiger theme, yet they'd be working in tandem instead of their eternal battle. Gouki/Ryu for the whole ChiaroScuro aesthetic that I personify... :badboy: I'm just trying not to go Shoto. Too many damn Shoto-clones, savvy?

I'd definitely appreciate any constructive feedback... :wonder:
    Whenever I face Cammy and I get jab pressured I just start laughing. IDK why but I find it funny because I literally just sit there and block like a trained dog or some shit lol. Raven is pretty kool..I used him with Asuka and his's mixups are good. I mean who doesn't like ninja's that teleport lol. Kazuya is a freakin heavy hitter. His damage off combos is amazing and I really don't believe you need any type of power gems for him. So that team would be pretty good.

Can't help you with Nina because I tried to play her but I wasn't feeling her. Julia though is pretty good. Nice mixups and her cr.mk is a good poking tool. Plus she has good damage and health isn't too much of a issue for her since it's 1000 which is above average health for a female character.

Akuma..DAT HEALTH! Smh fucking sad but I like him. Haven't mess with him yet but from what I see he's kool.

Juri seems to be a fan favorite in this game but I have no idea how to play her. I hear execution play's a factor with her. From what I've seen her zoning and mixup's are good.

Ryu I try to stay away from cuz eversince SSF4 I been annoyed just looking at him. Sagat I wish I can drop some knowledge but I don't see this character too much.

I think you should give that Raven and Kazuya team a run. Those two are pretty damn good IMO. Hope my advice helped in some way.
    Juri seems to be a fan favorite in this game but I have no idea how to play her. I hear execution play's a factor with her. From what I've seen her zoning and mixup's are good.

Juri does have some execution barriers to account for, especially to get to her better damage and better frame traps (I'm still not there yet), but it's not crazy hard to get started. She gets whatever she wants off all sorts of AAs though, so combined with her projectiles and overall decently-ranged normals, she can control space pretty well.

She also makes a good teammate because she has so many ways to get her teammate in. When she's out front with low life, I never feel like I'm lacking in ways to get her out of there.

Juri Fanboy Sidenote: Been playing her since she arrived in Super (though I still "mained" Rose until AE), so I'm more than partial to her. IMO, she's one of the best FG character designs I've seen in years least, both appearance-wise and in regards to her play style.

Cammy is pretty easy, straight-forward. I think that's what helps make her a good teammate as well, although for her better damage and tricks, she can start running through meter easily.

And I seriously think Akuma should not have that health deficit in this game lol. But ah well, dat raging demon tax. XD
    @Galactic;
    Definitely helpful. Kaz/Raven is in the works, thanks. Nina is very poke oriented, as she is in Tekken, but she has great juggle tools(no puns intended :badboy:) and she can dish out damage . Not sure about her mix ups though. Julia seems beast to me. That 1-frame start up SA will be vicious!!! Juri is definitely sick, as well as somewhat transferable to AE.
    From my early observations it seems the Tekken cast lacks reliable AAs to deal with CrossUps from SF cast.
    Gouki's health is an issue, thus you can't make mistakes with him. I haven't messed with Asuka yet, but her mix-ups in T5 were crazy. Seems like you have to have a projectile character, as both Grand Finalists at WGC used Ryu. Not sure what EVO will bring.
    No other way than to test theories and practice...

Gouki will always have a health deficit. He's got too many options and tools.

Juri does have some execution barriers to account for, especially to get to her better damage and better frame traps (I'm still not there yet), but it's not crazy hard to get started. She gets whatever she wants off all sorts of AAs though, so combined with her projectiles and overall decently-ranged normals, she can control space pretty well.

She also makes a good teammate because she has so many ways to get her teammate in. When she's out front with low life, I never feel like I'm lacking in ways to get her out of there.

Juri Fanboy Sidenote: Been playing her since she arrived in Super (though I still "mained" Rose until AE), so I'm more than partial to her. IMO, she's one of the best FG character designs I've seen in years least, both appearance-wise and in regards to her play thing style.

Cammy is pretty easy, straight-forward. I think that's what helps make her a good teammate as well, although for her better damage and tricks, she can start running through meter easily.

And I seriously think Akuma should not have that health deficit in this game lol. But ah well, dat raging demon tax. XD
    Oh alright. Ima hit the lab with her later today and If im getting a good vibe from her she'll be my sub for Chun. I'll be looking up tech for her and If I got any questions I'll get your input and other people on some things. Yeah Juri is a pretty awsome looking character..Im usually not into pycho chicks but I'll let her slide lol.
    @Galactic;
    Definitely helpful. Kaz/Raven is in the works, thanks. Nina is very poke oriented, as she is in Tekken, but she has great juggle tools(no puns intended :badboy:) and she can dish out damage . Not sure about her mix ups though. Julia seems beast to me. That 1-frame start up SA will be vicious!!! Juri is definitely sick, as well as somewhat transferable to AE.
    From my early observations it seems the Tekken cast lacks reliable AAs to deal with CrossUps from SF cast.
    Gouki's health is an issue, thus you can't make mistakes with him. I haven't messed with Asuka yet, but her mix-ups in T5 were crazy. Seems like you have to have a projectile character, as both Grand Finalists at WGC used Ryu. Not sure what EVO will bring.
    No other way than to test theories and practice...

Gouki will always have a health deficit. He's got too many options and tools.

Glad my advice had some use. Thanks for shedding some light on Nina. TBH I wish some of these characters would be played more. One thing I notice from the leaderboards is as players rank up they basically used the same characters like Ryu / Kayuza..basically the more powerful characters. I guess It's less work on them or maybe they have that whatever It takes to win mentality. Akuma should be played smart but man Capcom really have something against him lol. Maybe your right cuz he does have alot of tricks up his sleeve. Asuka is bad when It comes to playing footsies but with counter she'll have her opponents scared to just throw random shit out. I remember this one match I had against a Vega player and I use counter so wisely that he was mindfucked. His plan of just poking me to death went into the trash and It was pretty much easy for me after that.
  • Intuitive2011Intuitive2011 Cr.Mk XX Hadoken Joined: Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel one of the strongest teams is Zangief/Ryu, Zangief does well against so many of the Tekken cast, doesn't need meter to spend, has high health and a scary metagame. Especially for people like Kazuya, Steve, Heihachi, Lili, King, Kuma, Bob, Law, Marduk and Asuka, who in my opinion, don't out footsie him. Furthermore, he can safely tag in Ryu off well timed Lariats, which lead into a decent amount of damage for Ryu. Also, Ryu will then gain all of the meter Zangief built, and we all know how much damage Ryu can do. Furthermore, when Ryu has two bars of meter, DON'T JUMP. EX SRK into Lariat does a stupid amount of damage. My gimmicky tip: When you EX SRK and then tag, Zangief can hit people out of the SRK and get a free SPD, if they're asleep.
    The one weakness this side has is Zangief's matchups against the more popular Street Fighter characters, Balrog, M.Bison, Ryu, Akuma, Sagat, Chun Li, Juri, Rolento and Dhalsim can be very hard to fight. And Ryu, can go even with the majority of them, barring his obvious one bad matchup. Although, it seems Juri is harder to fight?!

Lili/Ryu:
    I play Lili without spending much meter, as I feel Ryu can do more with it. But Lili compliments Ryu so well. She possesses some of THE best anti airs, which lead into a conservative amount of damage, has some really trick frame traps; a la Ryu, her counters are great for conditioning people to empty jump...into Andante, and once you get a good read on your opponents habits, you can then use her counters to make them scared. Also, she does well against Sim, and we all know how much Ryu likes Sim. :P The greatest weakness of this side is its comeback ability, as you have to play solid with both characters, although Lili has one gimmick; people still don't know to block her Sunflower Lance standing. But outside of that, there is no real gimmick to this team.
    http://zeroisbetterthanwesker.blogspot.co.uk/

"Often times, a loss will strengthen and benefit the player more than a win, so I would say don't be afraid of losing and keeping competing." ~Infiltration
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • ShiwinShiwin Joined: Posts: 55
    Does anyone else use Chun/Cammy? I think it's a pretty solid team, but it gets boring after one or two matches.
    ...Lili has one gimmick; people still don't know to block her Sunflower Lance standing

Dammit don't tell people that! :razzy:

In all seriousness, I agree about Gief, for sure. I need to work on that matchup - even with Juri I have trouble against good Giefs, but that's largely impatience on my part... one wrong extended limb and that magical SPD will grab me, lol. I need to turn the game into Gradius when playing Gief.

Personally I play Lili as anchor most times, but I'm somehow still conservative with meter when I use her.
    Dammit don't tell people that! :razzy:

In all seriousness, I agree about Gief, for sure. I need to work on that matchup - even with Juri I have trouble against good Giefs, but that's largely impatience on my part... one wrong extended limb and that magical SPD will grab me, lol. I need to turn the game into Gradius when playing Gief.

Personally I play Lili as anchor most times, but I'm somehow still conservative with meter when I use her.
    I have trouble with all the SF4 matchups. :P
    Probably because I suck at SF4! Check the Juri SF4 forum to see just how free that match is. :)
    Sorry for exposing our fellow Lili secrets, and people should stop jumping AT HER! :P

"Often times, a loss will strengthen and benefit the player more than a win, so I would say don't be afraid of losing and keeping competing." ~Infiltration
    I have trouble with all the SF4 matchups. :P
    Probably because I suck at SF4! Check the Juri SF4 forum to see just how free that match is. :)
    Sorry for exposing our fellow Lili secrets, and people should stop jumping AT HER! :P

Man, I've really got to step my Lili game up. Her AAs are the stuff of legends (well really Andante), yet I'm still uncertain of the timing for some jump-ins and end up doing it too late, lol. Granted, this is all online but still! Going to make a point of practicing with her much more, and getting my execution with her on point. I really want Lili to work as my go-to anchor for Cammy and Juri.

What sucks though, is that I still have too much fun with Juri/Cammy lol. It sometimes keeps me from playing Lili as much as I should. :sweat:

EDIT:
    Does anyone else use Chun/Cammy? I think it's a pretty solid team, but it gets boring after one or two matches.

I thought about trying that team myself, as I would like to get better with Chun for the heck of it. I feel bad that I haven't played her seriously since 3s... but I didn't care for her SF4 incarnation's playstyle.

She feels more fun to play in this game so far though.

Hmm... what makes it feel boring though? I have that moment sometimes with Juri/Cammy - I generally hit the lab and try to find more interesting things to add spice to the team.
    Man, I've really got to step my Lili game up. Her AAs are the stuff of legends (well really Andante), yet I'm still uncertain of the timing for some jump-ins and end up doing it too late, lol. Granted, this is all online but still! Going to make a point of practicing with her much more, and getting my execution with her on point. I really want Lili to work as my go-to anchor for Cammy and Juri.

What sucks though, is that I still have too much fun with Juri/Cammy lol. It sometimes keeps me from playing Lili as much as I should. :sweat:

EDIT:

I thought about trying that team myself, as I would like to get better with Chun for the heck of it. I feel bad that I haven't played her seriously since 3s... but I didn't care for her SF4 incarnation's playstyle.

She feels more fun to play in this game so far though.

Hmm... what makes it feel boring though? I have that moment sometimes with Juri/Cammy - I generally hit the lab and try to find more interesting things to add spice to the team.
    Andante is what Ryu wish he had! But I love going for the counter, just to mess with their minds. As you know people like to jump in with their feet and arms! Treat it like a SRK, you want to hit them when they're deep from their jump arc. It's really easy when you practice, which, according to you, you don't do enough! :P
    Is Cammy really that fun? I just started to use Juri, and I have to say, she is quite a powerful character. Similar to Lili in regards to anti airs, but I find her pressure to be better.
    Lili isn't so hard in terms of execution, although her link into Cr.Hp can be troublesome, but well worth the effort. Just practice more!

• ShiwinShiwin Joined: Posts: 55

It might be because I used Chun and Cammy in SF4, but their combos feel a bit repetitive. You can't create many interesting combos with them, which is one of the most enjoyable aspects of this game imo. Juri, on the other hand, is a combo master so I can see why she is more fun to pair up with Cammy.

I have never thought of using Lili's counter as an AA, I always go for her df hk. (idk what it's called. Is it the Andante you are talking about? :P) It doesn't work very well against cross-ups, though.
  • therooktherook I Challenge My Fate! Joined: Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭
    I did this once...it's in Poison's Character thread...not doing it again...long winded...too much text, yada yada, just use characters like and go from there...ask people who use similar teams or whatever to see what they use and see if it can transfer over...more or less get your feet wet.
    SFIV: Guy, Cody, E.Ryu, Poison.
    Gundam Extreme: Wing Zero(TV)
    Tekken: Lili, Asuka, A.King, Julia/Jaycee, Kunimitsu.
    SC: Taki/Natsu
    VF5FS: Eileen, El Blaze, Aoi.
    It might be because I used Chun and Cammy in SF4, but their combos feel a bit repetitive. You can't create many interesting combos with them, which is one of the most enjoyable aspects of this game imo. Juri, on the other hand, is a combo master so I can see why she is more fun to pair up with Cammy.

I have never thought of using Lili's counter as an AA, I always go for her df hk. (idk what it's called. Is it the Andante you are talking about? :P) It doesn't work very well against cross-ups, though.

Ah, I see what you mean. And indeed, Juri gives you so many things to do... it's fun just playing with all her different tools and seeing what you can get from them. :)

Also, I'm finding myself constantly reminded the hard way that there is no one AA to handle everything, lol. And indeed, that is exactly where her counter comes in. >:]

One thing I am noticing about my teams and main char rotation... they are damn good at AA'ing, lol.
  • awkwardscrubawkwardscrub Headbutt? Headbutt. Joined: Posts: 144
    Been messing around with Juri/Hugo, Juri/Abel, Juri/Ryu, Ryu/Juri, Juri/Hwaorang (and then Ryu/all of those) but just couldn't find anything that felt quite right. Against what I consider to be logic, I've found putting Hugo on point to be okay. Yes he struggles with zoners or really good rushdown but having him out first (and with life gems) has meant he often heals quite a bit of the damage he's suffered. The thing I've been liking about Hugo tagging into Juri instead of the other way around is that I get to end combos with C.HP jump cancel stuff, which is huge damage and I find much easier to follow up with after than Hugo's anything into backbreaker. Hugo's pressure, or rather, my ability to pressure with him isn't great in this game because of rolls, bad mobility, all the bajillion reversal options. With Juri's speed I am much better able to punish rolls/bad wakeup, etc. Plus this way I'm able to start combos with crossup splash more often, and that move is dumb.

I'm still garbage, but I've been doing better than my normal garbage play and I'm having more fun, which is really the point.
    A mediocre Juri, Hugo, Abel, Makoto, Adon, Labrys, Tsubaki, Taokaka, Jon Talbain, Lillith, Hulk, X-23, Sentinel, and Aeon.
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I was running a combo of Akuma/Ryu/Paul recently, now I have Akuma x Heihachi. Not sure if they work well together but I saw some vids with amazing combos and setups. I'll probably run back to Paul once he gets some buffs.
  • EmblemLordEmblemLord Lord of all Lords Joined: Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭✭
    Heihachi is the good version of Paul just stick with him.

BTW your team is pretty damn solid.
    Play me in Ultra plz. PSN is EmblemLord. Yes I play Sagat....STOP FUCKING LAUGHING AT ME!!!!
    I was running a combo of Akuma/Ryu/Paul recently, now I have Akuma x Heihachi. Not sure if they work well together but I saw some vids with amazing combos and setups. I'll probably run back to Paul once he gets some buffs.

This sounds like something I'm not going to enjoy playing against lol.
  • King D.King D. Sentinel Killer Joined: Posts: 442
    Yo roknin if u like girl chars with no health xio is always there lol

And akuma heihachi sounds really good
    In order of greatness
    GGAC: Anji, Venom, Order Sol
    Sfxt: Ken/hwo + xio
    SSF4: Ken, Fei Long
    Yo roknin if u like girl chars with no health xio is always there lol

Actually she was one of the chars I tried to play! I still may down the line as I want to at least learn the basics of a lot of chars... I just really have a hard time with the loop for some reason. :(
  • Juri_kills_friend!Juri_kills_friend! Leader of the Lili Army Joined: Posts: 2,032
    I feel one of the strongest teams is Zangief/Ryu, Zangief does well against so many of the Tekken cast, doesn't need meter to spend, has high health and a scary metagame. Especially for people like Kazuya, Steve, Heihachi, Lili, King, Kuma, Bob, Law, Marduk and Asuka, who in my opinion, don't out footsie him. Furthermore, he can safely tag in Ryu off well timed Lariats, which lead into a decent amount of damage for Ryu. Also, Ryu will then gain all of the meter Zangief built, and we all know how much damage Ryu can do. Furthermore, when Ryu has two bars of meter, DON'T JUMP. EX SRK into Lariat does a stupid amount of damage. My gimmicky tip: When you EX SRK and then tag, Zangief can hit people out of the SRK and get a free SPD, if they're asleep.
    The one weakness this side has is Zangief's matchups against the more popular Street Fighter characters, Balrog, M.Bison, Ryu, Akuma, Sagat, Chun Li, Juri, Rolento and Dhalsim can be very hard to fight. And Ryu, can go even with the majority of them, barring his obvious one bad matchup. Although, it seems Juri is harder to fight?!

Lili/Ryu:
    I play Lili without spending much meter, as I feel Ryu can do more with it. But Lili compliments Ryu so well. She possesses some of THE best anti airs, which lead into a conservative amount of damage, has some really trick frame traps; a la Ryu, her counters are great for conditioning people to empty jump...into Andante, and once you get a good read on your opponents habits, you can then use her counters to make them scared. Also, she does well against Sim, and we all know how much Ryu likes Sim. :P The greatest weakness of this side is its comeback ability, as you have to play solid with both characters, although Lili has one gimmick; people still don't know to block her Sunflower Lance standing. But outside of that, there is no real gimmick to this team.

Yes gief is a problem for lili. That's why i have ken.
    My team is Money inc Ken and Lili
    This team has great synergy.
    It seems i'm always pushing the envelope of this teams limits.
    When i play this team i'm in it to kill and style on you.
    most of my huge damage comes in team cancel combos that can range from 40%-64% damage.
    I always put lili in second because when she has meter she hurts. She can do so much damage and i've learned to omptimize it and make it practical as well.
    Lili has great footsies and frametraps that you can really condition your opponent as you mentioned. I love her counter. Sometimes i get in the grill of a shoto's face and just dare them to srk me and counter them. It even counters ex moves and does a whopping 180 damage.
    I've yet to show all my stuff and want to keep all the flashy stuff for tourney streams in the future even if the game is not as popular. If you want to ask me anything about lili and what she brings to the table ask us at the lili boards. Lots of info there.

Now the real magic of the team is not all lili but her partner in crime ken. Ken is no ryu but he is by far one of the best set up characters in the game. Everything he does sets up for more damage. srk into lili with this team usually ends up with a over 40% combo. The ken ground tatsu is where all the magic happens. That stuff sets up for a one meter tc near 50% combo and can do more damage if i choose to super arts. Ken counters all of lili's bad match-ups. He has a dp. He has a projectile. He sets up into huge damage for lili to finish. Playing this team is rewarding as it isn't too tier abusing but its viable enough to work very well against most if not all teams.
    JOIN THE LILI ARMY! FOFOFOFOFOFOFO!
    SFXTekken: Ken x Lili (Money Inc) and maybe juri and sakura, and rolento, and maybe nina too!
    2012; Majors Gone to: Winter Brawl, Civil War 4, Capcom 25th Anniversary NYC
    Lili Reset Guide & Video Guide by yours truly JKF
    Yes gief is a problem for lili. That's why i have ken.
    My team is Money inc Ken and Lili
    This team has great synergy.
    It seems i'm always pushing the envelope of this teams limits.
    When i play this team i'm in it to kill and style on you.
    most of my huge damage comes in team cancel combos that can range from 40%-64% damage.
    I always put lili in second because when she has meter she hurts. She can do so much damage and i've learned to omptimize it and make it practical as well.
    Lili has great footsies and frametraps that you can really condition your opponent as you mentioned. I love her counter. Sometimes i get in the grill of a shoto's face and just dare them to srk me and counter them. It even counters ex moves and does a whopping 180 damage.
    I've yet to show all my stuff and want to keep all the flashy stuff for tourney streams in the future even if the game is not as popular. If you want to ask me anything about lili and what she brings to the table ask us at the lili boards. Lots of info there.

Now the real magic of the team is not all lili but her partner in crime ken. Ken is no ryu but he is by far one of the best set up characters in the game. Everything he does sets up for more damage. srk into lili with this team usually ends up with a over 40% combo. The ken ground tatsu is where all the magic happens. That stuff sets up for a one meter tc near 50% combo and can do more damage if i choose to super arts. Ken counters all of lili's bad match-ups. He has a dp. He has a projectile. He sets up into huge damage for lili to finish. Playing this team is rewarding as it isn't too tier abusing but its viable enough to work very well against most if not all teams.
    Your SRK tag into Lili combo, what is it? And would it be possible with Ryu? As I guess you tag off the last hit of the SRK?
    I find Ken to be the Evil Ryu of this game. IE, true one frame link into St.Hp of a EX Tatsu, and another one frame link in St.Lp in St.Hp in order to get his max damage. Also, Any tag in off Ken's Tatsu is ridiculous! He also makes a great partner for Nina.
    For baller status and swag, it's great to counter a Kazuya who's spamming out WGF/EWGF, especially on wakeup!

• Juri_kills_friend!Juri_kills_friend! Leader of the Lili Army Joined: Posts: 2,032
    Your SRK tag into Lili combo, what is it? And would it be possible with Ryu? As I guess you tag off the last hit of the SRK?
    I find Ken to be the Evil Ryu of this game. IE, true one frame link into St.Hp of a EX Tatsu, and another one frame link in St.Lp in St.Hp in order to get his max damage. Also, Any tag in off Ken's Tatsu is ridiculous! He also makes a great partner for Nina.
    For baller status and swag, it's great to counter a Kazuya who's spamming out WGF/EWGF, especially on wakeup!
    Lili does well with a dp character. I like ken because of his muti hit srk and tatsu.
    Some usual ones.
    Srk>tc>Angel knee>cr.hp>ex feisty rabbit> rabbit thorn>f.mkxf.hp chain combo (it's peacock waltz)
    srk>tc> jf.mpx.jf.hp chain combo> peacock waltz
    The first one is a guaranteed 50% combo with two meters.
    The second combo is 47%-50% on what moves i do before the ken srk.

My fave one to do with ken and lili is
    jump tatsu> cr.mk> hk tatsu> Tc> Jf.hk>st.hp>launcher>st.hp. fp. srk with ken. In some cases if i have two meters i can go into super arts which range from 58% damage to 62%. That depends on if i get a jump in.

If you really wanna swag on people just do feisty rabbit on the first combo with lili and ryu. She can do it two times in total after the tc from his srk. I like ending with peacock waltz because lili can always juggle off it to finish her combos and add some extra damage.
    JOIN THE LILI ARMY! FOFOFOFOFOFOFO!
    SFXTekken: Ken x Lili (Money Inc) and maybe juri and sakura, and rolento, and maybe nina too!
    2012; Majors Gone to: Winter Brawl, Civil War 4, Capcom 25th Anniversary NYC
    Lili Reset Guide & Video Guide by yours truly JKF
    Lili does well with a dp character. I like ken because of his muti hit srk and tatsu.
    Some usual ones.
    Srk>tc>Angel knee>cr.hp>ex feisty rabbit> rabbit thorn>f.mkxf.hp chain combo (it's peacock waltz)
    srk>tc> jf.mpx.jf.hp chain combo> peacock waltz
    The first one is a guaranteed 50% combo with two meters.
    The second combo is 47%-50% on what moves i do before the ken srk.

My fave one to do with ken and lili is
    jump tatsu> cr.mk> hk tatsu> Tc> Jf.hk>st.hp>launcher>st.hp. fp. srk with ken. In some cases if i have two meters i can go into super arts which range from 58% damage to 62%. That depends on if i get a jump in.

If you really wanna swag on people just do feisty rabbit on the first combo with lili and ryu. She can do it two times in total after the tc from his srk. I like ending with peacock waltz because lili can always juggle off it to finish her combos and add some extra damage.
    Now it's time to practice said combos! If you ever run into a Lili doing the EXACT same thing as you, you know it's me. :P Thanks for the help. :)

I'm liking Hwo, and have used him with Nina. I don't have keep away options with them though. I am learning Raven, Julia, and King.
    I think I am going to try to use Team Vortex, and also mess around with Guile/Cammy.
    Too many damn characters. So many use SF teams that I am drawn to Tekken characters.
    How the hell do you guys settle on one Team?

Too many damn characters. So many use SF teams that I am drawn to Tekken characters.

I can't settle on one team, that's part of my problem. :razzy:

Love Juri/Cammy but I've been trying to move on to a Tekken character for a while now. Juri/Lili is the closest I've gotten, and I fell in love with Law and Abel recently too. Juri/Law does good, easy damage, but my problem is when Law has to be in... well, my Law is ass lol.

That said, I'm still looking to play with more characters. Kuma's still on my list to play more, and I think I may go back to Juri/Julia soon too. Just going to keep playing different characters with the knowledge that I can always go back to Juri/Cammy if I feel completely outclassed. XD
    Kuma/Paul for be troll team. People get confused by dem mixups!

• ThancruzThancruz Joined: Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm liking Hwo, and have used him with Nina. I don't have keep away options with them though. I am learning Raven, Julia, and King.
    I think I am going to try to use Team Vortex, and also mess around with Guile/Cammy.
    Im using Hoawrang/nina myself now. I have shuffled through like 4 teams already lol.
  • Dr. GrammarDr. Grammar Fighting Game Scientist Joined: Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭
    I'm playing Hwoarang/Julia now, in anticipation of Raven nerfs. The damage and corner carry Julia adds to combos is really good, almost as good as Raven's, and her mix-ups and pressure are stronger. I would say it's quite a good substitution.
    #SFxT @ EFNet - It's better than SRK
    I was just thinking of trying Raven/Hwo.
    How do you deal with Projectiles using Hwo/Julia?

• ThancruzThancruz Joined: Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just thinking of trying Raven/Hwo.
    How do you deal with Projectiles using Hwo/Julia?
    Special Step with Hwo, or his hunting hawk.
  • Dr. GrammarDr. Grammar Fighting Game Scientist Joined: Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, both those moves handle projectiles really well. Julia struggles a bit more, but if she can get into 2MK range with 1 bar, she can do 2MK-2HP xx 214[PP] > 66MP and then just start her pressure game. I would say the team's hardest match-ups are characters like Chun-Li and Dhalsim, who have really good normal moves and backdashes, but I think the huge momentum you get from landing any hit makes up for the disadvantages.
    #SFxT @ EFNet - It's better than SRK
    I do like Julia, but WTF?! So many damn choices. AE was simpler in that regard.

Seriously, it's great to have so many characters to choose from, but Damn is it hard to pick a Main team.
    I think I am going to go Team Vortex until I can unleash Team Shinobi.

hey Thancruz, get a damn avatar already !!! :D LOL

Been playing Sagat/Kazuya since day one. Love the synergy, the damage potential, how they compliment one another and they have similar poses and quotes so thats an added bonus.
    Play me in Ultra plz. PSN is EmblemLord. Yes I play Sagat....STOP FUCKING LAUGHING AT ME!!!!
  • Bloodsword83Bloodsword83 Joined: Posts: 28
    I'm rolling Bison and Ibuki atm. I have fun with it. :D
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts on Akuma x Dhalsim????? I like using Heihachi but I've never really mained 'Sim. Kind of feel like this is the game where I finally use him...
    You will destroy grapplers for free. Watch out for Juri and Rufus. Maybe Raven too.

Your team does average damage but you dominate the neutral game.
  • echelonNYKechelonNYK Hi, Phil Swift here Joined: Posts: 929 ✭✭✭
    I've been playing with Julia & Bison for about 2 months now and having some success. Fun team that does a lot of damage, but the not flashiest (neither are big combo extenders..that i've discovered yet)