Star Wars

Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,569
edited December 2015 in General Discussion
Anything Star Wars related...

I know some of you may say Lucas should not make episodes VII, VIII, and IX, and some of you may say Lucas should make episodes VII, VIII, and IX. I believe Lucas would be foolish not to cash in on a sequel trilogy, especially after Fate of the Jedi.

If you haven't read all the books from Fate of the Jedi then you don't know what you're missing. Lucas has to approve and has a hand in all of the Star Wars books before being published. So here's what I'm thinking:

Star Wars Episode VII: Outcast (movie will be based on books 1-3)

Star Wars Episode VIII: Allies (movie will be based on books 4-6)

Star Wars Episode IX: Apocalypse (movie will be based on 7-9)
Edit: Oh shit!!! Darth Krayt is in Book 9 (Apocalypse) of this series
Post edited by Jion_Wansu on

Comments

• Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    i wanna see more. but better SW movies. Lucas made the mistake of trying to make 3 epic movies after going 20 years not making anything. art isn't like riding a bike. you just can't stop and try to pick up where you left off assuming you won't be rusty. he was rusty and it showed in eps 1-3. maybe now he'll be "warmed up" creatively and able to tackle big projects like SW again. maybe.
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
  • miniiminii Mundo posts where he pleases! Joined: Posts: 568
    It was said George is retiring soon so I doubt he'll be making much... Isn't he busy working on Red Tails or whatever it's called for now?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/9023370/George-Lucas-retires-from-making-blockbusters.html
  • odinodin is october coming? Joined: Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This post is dedicated to the Goku of the SWU.

luke-anh.jpg
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,089
    Ewoks > Luke
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • Carpet LintCarpet Lint MUHFUGGA NEVA LOVED US Joined: Posts: 3,404
    George Lucas only directed the first movie, which I'm just going to chalk up to sheer fluke at this point. Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were not directed by Lucas. Lucas also directed the three prequels. Remember, the prequels spanned like six years and still we were all hoping the next one would be the good one...and it never came. It was a horrible experience.

Fans hoping for more Star Wars movies from George Lucas are delusional. After that horrible six year ordeal with the prequels you want to go through that again? You're like those psycho battered wives always going back to their abusive husbands, trying to make it work. George Lucas is the angry drunk wife beater that forced upon you Jar Jar Binks, Jake Lloyd, pod racing, and this.

Also, this was an ACTUAL PIECE OF DIALOGUE that was actually spoken in one of the movies.
    Anakin: You are so beautiful.
    Padme: It's only because I'm so in love.
    Anakin: No. It's because I'm so in love with you.
    Padme: So love has blinded you?
    Anakin: That's not exactly what I meant.
    Padme: But it's probably true.

You want more of this? (Unless you are looking to watch these future movies as ironic comedies like Nic Cage movies, in which case there is a case to be made there.)

And still you crawl back for more, even though the man has demonstrated no capacity to change.

You really want something like fucking midichlorians to come up again, that would further retroactively ruin your enjoyment of the franchise?

Look at what happened to Indiana Jones. You want to end up like Indiana Jones?

Girl, go find yosef a better man that appreciates you. He isn't it.
  • VynceVynce Hater. Joined: Posts: 14,655
    If three more movies came out that were only as good as the new trilogy, I'd still watch them. They were lousy Star Wars films, but only because they must be measured against the OT. That said, I rather liked Episode 2&3.

I'm not "your average Star Wars fan," though. I don't mean to imply I'm not a nerd. Rather, I thought Empire was pretty fucking boring, for the most part.

Lucas created Star Wars. I get the whole cool-to-hate thing, but I've gotten way too much enjoyment out of the SWU to hate Lucas in earnest.
    "My name is Pertho and I like whoopi goldbergs tits."-Pertho
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    In before neckbeards.
    luke-anh.jpg
    Will Riker stole this pose for half the episodes of Star Trek: TNG.
    George Lucas is dumb

Yes Indiana Jones was an abomination.
    The Vader "bierth" scene was imbecilic.

I do not want Lucas messing up Thrawn, Mindor, Mara Jade, or Yuuzhan Vong.

I cannot disagree with Clint.

Dat bitch is HOT like FIYA.
    Lukemaraben.jpg
    The expanded universe does not need to be screwed up, because it is already jam-packed with comedy.

Anybody remember the time one of Luke's students went dark, murdered everyone in an entire star system, then got completely forgiven as the whole incident was just kind of handwaved off? I sure do.

George Lucas directed three excellent movies in the 1970s. And whatever can be said about the prequels, they do have some instances of those cool ideas and visual inventiveness. They simply don't cohere nearly as well.

As Axl_M4ster said, you can't abandon your craft for two decades and expect to jump back into it with the same facility you used to have.
    The Vader "bierth" scene was imbecilic.
    I'm going to assume that this is a typo and that you're not referring to something that I missed.

I will further assume that you're actually referring to the next scene (the infamous big "NO!"), because how is the actual "birth" scene not 31 flavors of awesome?

The badly burned Anakin, consumed physically by fire just as he was consumed mentally by the dark side, goes into the suit. At the same time, his anguished and dying wife gives birth to his children, who will, each in their own way, ultimately redeem him. Crosscut between the two scenes, throw in some mournful choral vocals courtesy of the awesome John Williams, and wow. Forget about Paul Greengrass and Christopher Nolan--somebody actually remembered how to portray drama on film.

This is the kind of shit that people conveniently forget to talk about in their rush to enumerate the crimes that George Lucas has personally perpetrated upon them in his consummate gall to make his own movies.
    But Anakin turned during the Mace/Palpatine fight earlier. And I don't feel that was done in any sort of convincing fashion at all. (Also, how do you portray a climatic showdown between five of the greatest Jedi/Sith guys that currently existed at the time...so shittily? That CGI somersaulting stuff was so goofy.) I don't think Hayden Christensen accomplished anything in those movies dramatically, and half of that fault really goes to the script he was given. On the other hand, I will acknowledge that Ewan McGregor acted his ass off in that last movie, but that just served to further highlight the fact that no one else was.

George Lucas the creator is amazing, he is a patron saint of sci-fi for coming up with such a rich amazing universe with a creative framework that supports other writers being able to write kickass stuff within it. There's a lot of great EU books, comics, and even the Bioware games were a lot of fun in terms of seeing more Star Wars lore. Lucas gets full credit for doing that. And as wack as those prequels are ultimately as movies, there's still a lot of cool Star Wars stuff you get to see because Lucas the creator is still involved. I love George Lucas the creator.

Geroge Lucas the movie maker is not a man I would trust with anything. He is as terrible as the other George Lucas is good.

And that's the argument I'd have for fans that want to see their beloved EU stories made into film. All that stuff is created already. Lucas the creator isn't involved. It's just George Lucas the movie maker, and he is terrible. If he ruined his own stuff with those prequels, imagine what he could do to other people's stuff.

George Lucas is not a good movie maker. I don't feel this is some sort of overreacting nerd hate - I mean, the prequels were objectively bad movies. Just check out the Red Letter Media reviews, they eviscerate those movies in ways I didn't even consciously consider.

Also, midichlorians. SERIOUSLY, come on.
  • angryliberalangryliberal I beat cancer. Joined: Posts: 6,282
    I'm just gonna throw my 2 cents in - there are 2 Star Wars films, Hope and Empire. That's it. I don't acknowledge any of the others except for the "It's a trap!" scene in Jedi...
    Here's the thing, I beat cancer.
    I do wish they kept the Force in the spiritual realm and not in the biological realm.
    objectively bad movies
    Why do people keep saying this, as if it's a thing that can exist?
    Red Letter Media reviews
    They're clever, but ultimately, I don't need someone else to tell me what to think about movies.
  • ManxManx Do yo feet stink? Joined: Posts: 22,025 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Anakin: You are so beautiful.
    Padme: It's only because I'm so in love.
    Anakin: No. It's because I'm so in love with you.
    Padme: So love has blinded you?
    Anakin: That's not exactly what I meant.
    Padme: But it's probably true.

To be serious though, that shit does sound like a bitch and her bitch-made (bitch-maid? :rofl: ). Just like a woman:
    Male: Complement her!
    Woman: Downplay the complement instead of simple gratitude...
    Male: Sad attempt at saving himself
    Woman: QuIcKsAnD!!! (in this case it's also vaginal sand!)
    Male: Oh noes!
    Woman: rub it in rub it in rub it innnnnn... !!!
    :tdown:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
    Why do people keep saying this, as if it's a thing that can exist?

They're clever, but ultimately, I don't need someone else to tell me what to think about movies.
    We're talking about movie making, I'm not speaking on the subjectively quality of a creative piece of art that every human being is entitled to value differently.

Cinematographic devices, storytelling methods. These are objective qualities that George Lucas has not displayed. That's what those reviews detail. You can feel however you want about a movie, but I would think that one that demonstrates a lot of objective directorial skill would tend to be a more subjectively better movie. Usually.

Don't be all like HEY MAN ALL ART IS SUBJECTIVE DUDE like it's a valid, meaningful thing to say that every single creative creation in the world can't be judged against its peers. Hey you like Rob Liefeld's Youngblood more than Watchmen? Okay, that's your thing, it's subjective. Let's ignore all the skills required to make a comic and the objective visual storytelling devices comic book art requires and all the objective storytelling elements that constitute a good plot. ART IS ART MAN IT'S ALL THE SAME

You can enjoy shitty (a subjective qualifier) movie all you want. In the same way that no one can objectively say the Mona Lisa is an objectively great work of art. It isn't, because art itself is subjective. But saying that you subjectively think the Mona Lisa is bad is more of a statement about you than the painting.

In the same way, if you seriously enjoyed the Star Wars prequels in a manner that isn't completely based on nostalgia or blind fan commitment, I think that's more of a statement about you than it is about the movies.

I think Kindergarten Cop is one of the greatest movies of all time. But I'm not going to argue semantics about objectivity if someone says it's a shitty movie. (Because they would be wrong, it's objectively great.)
  • remonsterremonster Joined: Posts: 553
    I used to be such a SW nerd, but stopped reading halfway through Yuuzhan Vong. I've still got trunks of unopened Kenner OT toys at my grandparents house. I hope they're worth something lol.

Re: Lucas....talk about living to see yourself become the villain. I used to hate on him hard, but now I have more compassion. The guy had a good idea, but he got old and his universe got away from him. It happens. It's got to be tough to create something and walk away from it. Then again, the prequels are pretty offensive, so it's still fun to bash him once in awhile.

*snip*
    Everything in this post that doesn't affirm the oxymoronic nature of the phrase "objective quality" is completely irrelevant.

Thanks for trying to waste my time, though.

Actually, there is this one bit:
    Cinematographic devices, storytelling methods. These are objective qualities that George Lucas has not displayed. That's what those reviews detail. You can feel however you want about a movie, but I would think that one that demonstrates a lot of objective directorial skill would tend to be a more subjectively better movie. Usually.
    There is more attention to visually-driven storytelling in the lightsaber fight between Yoda and Palpatine than in the entirety of The Dark Knight.
    So you bring up this semantic, valueless point about how nobody is allowed to say whether a movie is good or bad because art is subjective...and you say I'm wasting your time?

Are you just really offended that people don't like the Star Wars movies and like the Batman ones, like it's some sort of competition?

Why are you so concerned about telling other people what they should think about movies if it's all subjective anyway?
    So you bring up this semantic, valueless point about how nobody is allowed to say whether a movie is good or bad because art is subjective...and you say I'm wasting your time?
    Wait. Back up.

I never said that you're not allowed to say a movie is good or bad. That's completely retarded.

I said you're wrong for claiming that a movie can be objectively good or bad, or that a filmmaker can be objectively good or bad at doing something, as if there's a scientific metric for proving that one film technique is objectively better than another.

"Objectively better". Ye gods, I can't even find a way to reword what you're trying to say without it sounding ridiculous.
    Are you just really offended that people don't like the Star Wars movies and like the Batman ones, like it's some sort of competition?
    No. I am, however, baffled that you would make that leap, instead of simply recognizing that I'm using one movie that everybody knows about as a basis for comparison with another. Would you prefer that I compare Star Wars to Diary of a Country Priest?
    Why are you so concerned about telling other people what they should think about movies if it's all subjective anyway?
    I'm expressing a contrary opinion. I'm not sure that qualifies as telling other people what they should think.
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,879 mod
    Still surprising to me that after 13 years people still have the enthusiasm to let everyone know they didn't like the prequels and heres 20 reasons why...
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I do not want Lucas messing up Thrawn, Mindor, Mara Jade, or Yuuzhan Vong.
    Thrawn is stuck in my memory permanently. It would take a bad movie to ruin him. Once the movies come out, I cannot escape the audio and visuals when I read the book.

So on that note, I hope I don't need to see a Lucas made Thrawn, or well any of those books. The Thrawn trilogy is like a slightly weaker sibling to the original trilogy. It's good, I enjoyed it, but is it worth doing? The actors are all too old now anyways.

I have spent way too much thought on how to fix Return of the Jedi's plot. Could have been so much better. I wish the word Ewok was just another weird, random creature in the Star Wars Galaxy, obscured by much cooler and better races.
    Context was his ability as a movie maker. About his ability to make a movie.

So there are no cinematographic skills or storytelling devices used in this medium? And that everyone is just as good at it than everyone else? I think you're taking it to the other extreme. Why can't I say that the storytelling devices this movie uses are bad? Those exact devices and the scenes outlined in those reviews?

Crappy film student Joe Schmo executes framing, continuity cuts, storyboards better than Alfred Hitchcock? Or are you saying there is no basis for comparison there at all? Why can't someone be better at executing film techniques than someone else?
    I never said that you're not allowed to say a movie is good or bad. That's completely retarded.
    But how? How can a movie be good or bad?

If it's subjective, then those concepts don't even exist. There must be SOME sort of non-subjective quality that is associated with a movie, otherwise the concepts of good or bad don't even exist. Otherwise it should be I like this movie or I don't like this movie, and no one's allowed to comment on good versus bad, only on like versus not like.

Objectivity is just forming an unbiased opinion, judgement without distortion from personal or emotional bias...does this not apply to movies even in the slightest?

So how do you acknowledge that a movie is good or a movie is bad, and not acknowledge that there have to be some basic points of comparison?

How do you define good versus bad movies then? Just based on solely how you FEEL about it?
    What? What?

Objective means independent of the viewer.

Subjective means dependent on the viewer.

Neither of those things have anything to do with "everything is as good as everything else". I have no idea where you're getting that.

There is no such as an unbiased opinion. Opinions, by nature, are a function of the values of the person having them. Values are necessarily biases.

Yes, you define good versus bad in movies based on how you feel, in a very reductive sense. Film criticism is essentially the game of being honest (with yourself and others) about how a movie is affecting you, and attempting to figure out what a movie is doing to achieve this effect. This necessarily varies from person to person. That necessarily means that it is subjective.

Between this and the Spawn comic, I am beginning to think you've made it your purpose in life to torment me.
    I didn't even send you that Spawn comic, I'm pretty sure it was Zephy or something, albeit possibly under my direction. Why would you even complain about that in the first place, there's kids in Ethiopia starving for early 90's comics with anatomical liberties and excessive cross hatching, you should stop taking that treasure for granted.

I'm saying everything is not as good as everything else, that we can measure things against other things. We would descend into insane subjective hell if we couldn't claim objectivity in things, a hell in which we couldn't deride other people for having unpopular opinions about stuff that were different than our opinions.

I don't want to live in a world like that. I want to be able to say you are a shithead if you like a certain movie and that I am better than you if I do not like it.

I mean you can make a movie better than some other guy makes his movies, that's why we have favourite directors and favourite screen writers and etc. If you feel a way about a movie, that is someone deliberately causing you to feel that way, it is a technique which deserves credit. I think a movie is good and therefore you are affected, I don't think you are affected and thus the movie is good.

In the future I will avoid referring to the existence of objective goodness/badness and just stick to "universally panned" or "universally considered by everyone with sense to have sucked." To me they mean the same thing, but it's more a case of efficiency of language versus accuracy of semantics.
    I didn't even send you that Spawn comic, I'm pretty sure it was Zephy or something, albeit possibly under my direction. Why would you even complain about that in the first place, there's kids in Ethiopia starving for early 90's comics with anatomical liberties and excessive cross hatching, you should stop taking that treasure for granted.
    It was either Zephy or RockB. I've gotten comics from both of them, and one of them passed onto me your unholy STD of an excuse for a comic.
    I think a movie is good and therefore you are affected, I don't think you are affected and thus the movie is good.
    How can you know if a movie is affecting until it affects you? I will remind you that it is the audience who makes meaning from a text--the text, in this case, being the movie. Taxi Driver is my favorite movie because of how it made me feel, and, by extension, the craft and artistry by which it was able to do so. It was not my favorite movie until it did that.
    In the future I will avoid referring to the existence of objective goodness/badness and just stick to "universally panned" or "universally considered by everyone with sense to have sucked." To me they mean the same thing, but it's more a case of efficiency of language versus accuracy of semantics.
    "Universally panned", eh? Now we're actually getting into the territory of objective claims--i.e. things that can be proved/disproved based on observer-independent evidence, such as movie scores. (Which, themselves, are an unreliable heuristic, but them's the breaks.)

Though I admit, I wonder about the implication that an opinion is more valuable for having a lot of other people agree with it. I'm not sure I buy that.

Since consensus is apparently a useful piece of information, here are the Tomatometer ratings for all six Star Wars movies.

The Phantom Menace: 57%
    Attack of the Clones: 67%
    Revenge of the Sith: 80%
    Star Wars: 94%
    The Empire Strikes Back: 97%
    Return of the Jedi: 79%

None of these is a universal pan, though The Phantom Menace is at least certified "rotten" by the Rotten Tomatoes benchmark of 60% favorable reviews. On the flip side, Star Wars and Empire both come within a Jedi-twirly-flip's distance of universal praise.
  • TaitoTaito Great Thing Joined: Posts: 7,096
    I'm pretty sure the only part of the Star Wars 'fabula' that Lucas is interested in telling chronicles Anakin. Star Wars movies, at least anything before Episode I and past Episode VI, will never happen until he dies and some company tries to wrestle the IP from the estate (don't hold your breath).
    I don't know why people like Jedi the least out of the original 3.
    It was my favourite.
  • UnshapedOrkRandomNumberUnshapedOrkRandomNumber Far too kinky. Joined: Posts: 735
    Any Star Wars fan who says the expanded universe is better than the prequels is talking out his ass, and I don't like the prequels.

The expanded universe is "Hey, wasn't that character/scene cool in the movies? Let's recycle, reuse, and rip it off a few dozen times!" Stuff like universal Sith lightning, superweapons that destroy solar systems, a few dozen Death Stars, and every character ever being related to the main characters in some form all make me gag. It's like they're afraid to tell an original story with the universe the original trilogy created.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot about the Thrawn trilogy. That one's decent.
    George Lucas only directed the first movie, which I'm just going to chalk up to sheer fluke at this point.
    George Lucas isn't really much of a director. He's always been a far better producer. Look at his list of Producer credits...

Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    The Last Crusade
    Willow
    The Land Before Time

All great films. Of course, he's also produced some abominations (Howard the Duck, anyone?), but he certainly has always been better at it than directing.

And he's a decent writer when he's not alone, although he's always been a pretty big cheese.
  • JocelotJocelot Don't give up! Joined: Posts: 5,121
    It would be MY DREAM to see a movie adaptation to the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. MY DREAM. If they get a good director and make it work I would probably cry. Seeing Mara Jade and Thrawn on the big screen... oh god.
    Party Robot!!
    Now my head can spin. I'll be around for a million years, so let the party begin.
    jak d ripr wrote: »
    That shit had me in stitches. Nigga went for all these flashy set-ups and doom was like hold these boots.
  • FavaroFavaro Joined: Posts: 101

"they were right, the SRK forums are full of trolls and stream monsters"
    Christina Hendricks as Mara Jade would be a good starting point for the movie.
    With her massive bosoms resting above Mark Hamill's scarred up face.
  • mIRCmIRC GOD OF SMPTE Joined: Posts: 7,445
    Any Star Wars fan who says the expanded universe is better than the prequels is talking out his ass, and I don't like the prequels.
    I'm not really a Star Wars fan, but I don't think that's true. Maybe you should read some of the Star Wars comics. There are some stories based on imperial soldiers that I remember being pretty good.
    3W0qH.jpg
  • UnshapedOrkRandomNumberUnshapedOrkRandomNumber Far too kinky. Joined: Posts: 735
    I'm not really a Star Wars fan, but that's not true. Maybe you should read some of the Star Wars comics. There are some stories based on imperial soldiers that I remember being pretty good.
    These sound like the better sort of stories for the expanded universe. We've seen the main characters and glimpses of this huge, unexplored galaxy; why does every conflict have to center around the same guys?

Why not a story about some random farmer who has to deal with an Imperial tithe, or a war between two species that the Rebellion has to solve, or hell, how about the Clone Wars? Not the war from the prequels, but the epic conflict barely described in the originals. I would have loved to see someone else's take, especially since Lucas' was so disappointing. I imagined Jedi Knights suited in armor on the tops of mountains clashing with their equally proficient clones (Yeah, I know, clones don't work like that) 100 years before Luke left for Alderaan. Seriously, you don't need to have the Clone Wars 20 years right before the movies.

That's one of the things KoTOR got right. The thing it (and so many other EU stuff, and the prequels) got wrong was making everything too big, bigger than the films even. It makes the films feel less special when, for example, everyone can use force lightning instead of the evil Emperor, or everyone has their own private planet destroying superweapon.

<I'm a redundantly disgruntled Star Wars fan.>
    haha Funny you post that. I just reinstalled Jedi Outcast yesterday.
    Such a good game.
  • AbbachioAbbachio NOBLEST BRAIN Joined: Posts: 1,722
    I just recently bought the original Trilogy and watched New Hope and Empire (the theatrical versions) and they were a fucking blast, I hadn't seen them since I was a kid so I was basically watching them for the first time. The Luke and Vader battle in Empire just looks so awesome.

I think I might watch Return either tonight or tomorrow, how is it?
    {]UNiEL: Gordeau/Eltnum/Yuzuhira[}
    {]JoJo's: Jotaro/Hol/PolPol[} - {]KI: Jagi[}

XBL: Mortum Kujo - PSN: Mortum_Kujo - NID: Mortum - Steam: http://tinyurl.com/jzdeks7

Currently Playing: Nioh, Lost Odyssey, Yakuza 3, Rare Replay
    I just recently bought the original Trilogy and watched New Hope and Empire (the theatrical versions) and they were a fucking blast, I hadn't seen them since I was a kid so I was basically watching them for the first time. The Luke and Vader battle in Empire just looks so awesome.

Theatrical version has better lighting and no terrible Jabba dance party, while the first rereleased version of Jedi has a better ending song.

Good movie, although I prefer The Empire Strikes Back (But not Star Wars).
  • VynceVynce Hater. Joined: Posts: 14,655
    You won't agree: best to worst, IMO:

Episode 4
    Episode 6
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 5
    Episode 1

I love you, GL <3. In retrospect, not including N*SYNC was foolish, since
    your fans turned on you anyway.

I love you, N*SYNC.
    "My name is Pertho and I like whoopi goldbergs tits."-Pertho
  • RugalitarianRugalitarian B-tier for Beautiful Joined: Posts: 3,709
    Make a movie out of Jedi Outcast and bring back Desann.

desann.jpg
    all chun liz moevs go thru vegz
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,879 mod
    You won't agree: best to worst, IMO:

Episode 4
    Episode 6
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 5
    Episode 1

I love you, GL <3. In retrospect, not including N*SYNC was foolish, since
    your fans turned on you anyway.

I love you, N*SYNC.

can't believe you'd have ep 2 in the top 3, but A New Hope is my favorite too.

and I love nsync
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
  • OmNiExiZtOmNiExiZt Fuckin Up Yo IgZiStEnce Joined: Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I want a star wars collabo written by frank miller and josh whedon and directed by Michael Bay and Genndy Tartakovsky. The only thing I'd need Lucas for is to release the rights to his... universe?
    *ONEZ*
    Omni-Exizt - Demi-God
    The embodiment of thought in all Creation. Determined that all living things, including humans, desire the destruction of Earth. Plans on destroying not only Earth, but all of Creation.
    The secret of life-:snka::snkb::snkb: :snka: START
  • MCPMCP Joined: Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Fuck Michael Bay. He would instantly forget all plots and go for 100% flash.
    Genndy Tartakovsky did some good work in the Clone Wars mini series.

I love KotoR and the N64 game Shadows of the Empire. I think Shadows of the Empire was the first Star Wars game to not include a main character from the movies as its main character.
    It's worth watching because Luke must confront Vader and his Emperor. Also who wouldn't want to watch more Han Solo?

Besides, "It's a trap!" It's a fucking squid. One of the weirdest races in the entire Star Wars universe. Calamari... I wonder if they taste good fried.

ps I can do the Wookie growl.
  • SquirtgunsSquirtguns Dumb for Crumbs Joined: Posts: 422
    Ok gentlemen... SW VIDEO GAME TIER LIST??

SS: Rogue squadron(s)
    S: Shadows of the Empire, KOTOR
    A: Battlefront, Super Star Wars
    B: Jedi Power Battles, TIE fighter, Empire at War, Pod racers

Shit tier: Lego starwars, fuckin Yoda Stories.
    This puts me in the position of having to remember which of these damn games I've played.

"Hahahahahaha... goooooood!"
    Rogue Leader (GC)
    Shadows of the Empire (N64)
    Star Wars (NES)

"Still paying off?" "Oh, not as well as I'd like."
    The Empire Strikes Back (NES)
    Star Wars Arcade (32X) (yes, I owned this, and don't judge me, you cunts)
    The Phantom Menace (PS1)
    Star Wars Trilogy (arcade)
    Star Wars: Racer Arcade (duh)
    Star Wars: Racer (N64)

"I have a bad feeling about this."
    Return of the Jedi (GB)
    Super Star Wars (Super NES)
    Masters of Teras Kasi (PS1)
    Rebel Assault II (PC)
    No Force Unleashed? I loved that game.
    Also SWG (before the SOE mutilation), Super Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi (can't hate on Chewie's spinning clothesline) and Lego Star Wars.
  • OmNiExiZtOmNiExiZt Fuckin Up Yo IgZiStEnce Joined: Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Fuck Michael Bay. He would instantly forget all plots and go for 100% flash.
    Genndy Tartakovsky did some good work in the Clone Wars mini series.

I thought writers handled to plot. I thought it was the directors job to keep the actors from making asses of themselves.
    *ONEZ*
    Omni-Exizt - Demi-God
    The embodiment of thought in all Creation. Determined that all living things, including humans, desire the destruction of Earth. Plans on destroying not only Earth, but all of Creation.
    The secret of life-:snka::snkb::snkb: :snka: START
    Pfft. You think the writers handle a damn thing in a Michael Bay movie?

Here's what happens.

The producers come up with a list of stuff that's supposed to be in the movie. A sample list might include boobies, explosions, a car chase, a talking dog, a giant spider, and at least five things that can be turned into action figures/other toys. The producers send this list to the writer (more likely, several writers) and demand that they string these things together into a story. The writers do this, according to an extraordinarily rigid three act skeleton structure that demands an action scene or twist every 10 minutes, a major turning point at each half hour mark, and a huge shit-hitting-the-fan final battle during the last half hour. This structure is essentially the container into which the things on the producers' list will be poured. It is the writers' job to make sure this happens simply and clearly enough so that the idiot executive producers, who are not creative and might not even like movies, can follow it easily while they're doing blow and possibly getting a blumpkin.

After the script is done, they send it back to the producers to some poor underpaid/unpaid intern whose job it is to read the script and verbally summarize it to the producers. The producers will make a list of changes, which they either thought of during the verbal summary or in the interim before that, probably while watching other movies and seeing all the great ideas that went into them. (A retarded younger brother... why didn't I think of that? That's perfect for Die Hard 6!) Possibly, they will send these notes back to the original writers, but, more likely, the script and the notes will be sent to another team of writers entirely. Perhaps the process will repeat and yet another team of writers will receive script+notes after that, and so on and so forth.

At some point, this... thing will arrive in the hands of Michael Bay, who may very well have his own opinions about it and make his own alterations, within the permission of the producers. Further changes may be made during production. The last opportunity for changes--and it is a big one--is in the editing room, where everything from individual shots to entire scenes can be shuffled, included, excluded, rejiggered in CGI, or even reshot altogether.

It is possible that the original writers still have delusions of working an element of artistry into these otherwise mass-produced genre entertainments. Assuming that hasn't been stomped out of them yet, any strain of individualism that they might have worked into the original script will have been filtered out many times over by the time the movie actually hits the screen.

If you want to know what writers handle in a Michael Bay movie, it's brown and lumpy.
  • scytheavatarscytheavatar Joined: Posts: 2,447

RIP Star Wars.
  • FlameAngelZFlameAngelZ I'm gonna fuck you up! Joined: Posts: 863
    I find the lack of Dark Forces/Jedi Knight in your game lists... disturbing.

Also I'm pretty sure Kyle Katarn came before Dash Rendar, in main characters that did not appear in the movies. If you haven't played any of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games, during their time, you missed out on ALOT. ALOT! It's those games that really opened my eyes on the expanded universe and stuff. They really gotta make a new DF/JK game.

As for Star Wars in general... What can I say? Long post incoming...

I loved the old Triology, 6 being my favorite. For one particular scene. The part during the space battle, where there's rows of Tie Fighters attacking the ships. Interceptors, Defenders, and all that good stuff. That shit, when I first saw the movie, seriously blew my fucking mind. Rows after rows of ships, starships, lasers everywhere and crap, holy shit that was amazing. I can see how the Ewoks are retarded, don't get me wrong, but it was worth it for the space battle, something I have never seen before that moment.

Now, the new triology, ughhh. I remember seeing the previews for it. I remember watching Entertainment Tonight for the FIRST SNEAK PEAK at the trailer and shit.... and man... again, it BLEW MY FUCKING MIND, I was so hyped for Episode 1, it's not even funny. FINALLY, we'll be able to see Darth Vader and the Emperor killing shit left and right, spaceships, battles, stormtroopers, maybe how they built the empire, maybe some Luke adventures!!! My mind was racing.

Then we got an annoying little kid....................................................................................... *cough*

... Yeah.... ok?

I will never forget coming out of the theater at like 4AM, the midnight was full, so went at 2AM.... and just walked away speechless. I didn't know what to think about the movie, I was seriously speechless, did I enjoy it? No. Was it bad? I don't think so... I don't know. I saw it later and yeah it was definatly fucking bad. And here's why. And this is true for all the new triology. For every amazing scene such as the duel between Qui Gon, Obi Wan and Maul, with the music, and the scenery and the coreographed moves (I enjoyed those) and all that shit, we got a fucking Jar Jar. For every scene where Qui Gon and Obi Wan are fighting droids, we got a fucking annoying whiny kid. For every Pod Race with an annoying fucking kid, we got a retarded kid blowing up a fucking mothership... I mean you know the kid ain't gonna fucking die, he's a kid, so of course he will fly trough a fucking mothership, crash, restart his systems, and blow up the core on his way out... of course.

I know where George fucked up, he tried to please EVERYBODY! And that shit don't work, it might work for an experienced director such as Cameron, Scott, etc who can please all ages, but for George who comes back after 20 years of not shooting a movie and tries to mix, Jar Jar stepping in shit and lolololol it's sooooooo funny to Galactic Senate Discussions????? Like, really?? REALLY GEORGE?? Who the fuck was this movie designed for? Kids? I don't think they are enjoying the Galactic Discussions, the Trade Federation, the Power Sturggle within the Senate... Adults? I don't think they're enjoying, Jar Jar or little fucktard kids, but nope, George went with it anyways, and nobody enjoyed the movie. Maybe little kids did, I dunno.

Anyways, to keep it short, Ep2, the "love story" BS was so fucking long and boring and unbelievable and shit and fuck and fuck you George. The clones were cool, the battles were cool. Obi Wan vs Jango Fett was awesome. Those space bombs Jango's ship released with the delay sound effect was AMAZING! But again, for every Obi vs Jango we got Padme eating the fucking fakiest CGI apple I have ever seen, Anakin rolling in the grass.... Anakin riding some dumbass bad CGI animal, some really REALLY dumb ass "love" dialogue. Sigh...

Finally Ep3, I know people are saying this movie was "ok" the same way people say Transformers 1 was "ok", but no, fuck you, both of those movies were pretty bad. Again, you can see the pattern coming here... General Grievious, AMAZING, OMG I CANT WAIT WHEN HES GONNA FIGHT OBI WAN WITH 4 FUCKING LIGHTSABERS!!!!!! Obi Wan pulls gun, one shots him. ...................................... WHAT THE FUCK?????? The battles we're great... but then Padme dies of ...... sadness?????? I DONT FUCKING KNOW!!! Anakin joining the Dark Side in the dumbest way possible. The Jedi Council not seeing any of this coming???? I don't know, I went in this movie not expecting anything.... I had no expectations, and as soon as the movie began I couldn't fucking suspend my mind and just enjoy the movie. Everything looked so fake. For every action that was happening I had 10 diffrent questions of "Why? How? How is that even possible??" Anakin brushing off the spider droids off Obi's ship... why are they shooting spider droids in space? Why are Anakin and Obi always arguing, why didn't Anakin turn evil when he decapitaded Dooku, how did they manage to land the big ass star destroyer, non stop questions, I couldnt fucking stop asking basic questions which provided no answers. People say this movie was ok? I say it was the most unblievable of them all.

Anyways, I would LOVE to have Ep 7,8,9 and so on so forth, and I do actually want George involved, but only as an advisor. Let him lead the story, but provide COMPETENT people for directing, script and for the love of God, don't shoot the whole fucking movie on CG backgrounds. I'm really happy George created this universe, my favorite movie universe, but he should have chosen a diffrent path for the prequels.

Anyways, that pretty much sums it up, I guess.
    Exclusive Zappa Player!

FlameAngelX got banned... for excessive use of the word "[this bullshit doesn't belong on SRK: stop it]".