Ideas for Street Fighter 5

Comments

• bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 545 ✭✭
    I want parries. I like parries.

People will bitch though.

Some kind of SF:Zero-style gameplay would be nice too. I spent 6 hours yesterday playing through 8 different versions of Street Fighter Zero/Zero 2/Zero 3.
    Check out my work!

TUMBLR | hk-5.net
    YOUTUBE | youtube.com/user/bchan009
    TWITTER | twitter.com/bchan009
  • KindredSpiritzKindredSpiritz Joined: Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Forgive me for my ignorance, I'm just a naive geisha.

But isn't SF IV like an Alpha instalment, game mechanics aside - being chronologically set between II and III and the Alpha Series was set between I and II?

Well I guess this was the SF series split into two directions, alpha being the casual series that Ono was taking about.
  • OMG its a duckOMG its a duck Bruh I'm in down bad bruh Joined: Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna paraphrase one of MAJ's old articles and say that balance doesn't really matter as long as we have a good pool of mid to top tier characters that provide interesting matchups. Better that than Suck Fighter V where everyone has a chance because everyone's mediocre.
    I just wanna quote this because people think that because more people are in that pool, the game becomes interesting, not because the characters are interesting to play. So mad.
  • GenistarGenistar BLARG! Joined: Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭
    SF2: Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Akuma, Cammy, Guile
    SF3: Urien, Makoto, Ibuki, Alex,
    SFA: Rolento, Cody, Guy, Poison, Sakura, Karin
    SF4: Oni, Abel, Juri, Gouken, C.Viper
    SF5: 5 new SF5 characters

Engine:
    A 4f reversal window instead of 5f
    Keep the same style as SF4 but instead upgrade the graphics. (Have the game run atleast 1.5 times faster than sf4.)
    Give a power boost type thing kind of like an x factor where it boosts each characters power or speed but for 12 seconds of the match.
    keep supers 3 bars.
    USF4: Poison/Rose/Decapre
    Persona 4: Chie,Naoto
    VF5FS: Sarah
  • I<iShiDoI&lt;iShiDo Red Lotus Fighting King Joined: Posts: 11
    I would love to go back to a sprite design...

And even if no one cares... A bit more plot
  • RayartzRayartz Hosenka Reversal Yo! Joined: Posts: 1,133
    I've put a lot of thought into this as of late; call it bordem or just dreaming of 'what ifs'

I think personally think it would be fun to submit some sort of game design document created by all of us as suggestions and ideas for SF5 or at least the 'new' Alpha verison Ono has interest in.
    So as I've thought of this - here are some ideas that I think would not only add a fresh direction for the series but also pull in other players.

Visuals/ Models and Stage -
    I think many of us would love to see sprite designs, but say they want to use 3d Models again; they definately need fresh looks and nothing rehashed.
    SF has always had an exaggerative style and we clearly all love that, however I think it is important for the stylized design to be a bit more realistic.
    Consider Stanley Lau's artwork on 3rd strikeOE. 3d models based on this artwork would look stunning, no doubt.

As for Stage Design I think it'd interesting to go the Killer Instinct route.
    Meaning the gameplay will still remain Side Scrolling but certain actions would cause the camera to rotate around the environment.
    This may also lend itself to some interesting stage elements or 'danger zones' like DOA5. Think of the Barrels and Crates from Street Fighter 2 but elaborate.
    Even 3rd Strike and SF4 had stage elements as well, but they need to be incorporated in more interesting ways.

Next up the parts that I've really been thinking about the most:
    New Arcade/Story Mode:
    Street Fighter has a lot of characters with a lot of different backgrounds that weave together in some manner.
    DOA5 had a fantastic story mode, which forced the player to experience each character in order to beat it; while exposing the player to the games mechanics and providing challenges along the way. This will help new commers play all the characters for a bit, experience the games mechanics, challenge their abilties to use the mechanics within the battle and also free up opportunies for unlockables such as outfits, taunts, colors etc., and allow capcom to make a decent story.

Trials/Training Mode:
    As Capcom reveals the game to the public thousands of players flock to conventions and play stands to check the game out and inevitably find 'Day1' BnBs
    Capcom could take these finind and make those the trials as well as providing other useful combos that may be unrealized. In most cases combos in trials are unfeasible and/or not worth the effort to pull off in a match - this needs to be fixed!
    We all want a hit box display as well. A lot of developers are skeptical of doing this, but I think it'd help new commers understand just what is the character attacking with and why/how counter hits happen. It gives them a chance to see depth while giving experienced players more lab data.

Online Mode: My Personal favorite, because I think this could be really cool and people would really enjoy it!!
    First off - split Battle Points and Player Points into different 'modes'; now before you freak out consider these ideas:
    "Public Matches"
    This is where a player can accumlate only Battle Points/Experience for each character in the game and takes a major cue from the Call of Duty franchise (which is why I think many players especially new commers will embrace it)
    In this mode you will always gain Battle Points/Experience via Public Matches, Endless lobbies etc.,. The amount of points accumluated is based upon performance and even if you lose a player will still gain BP/Exp albiet not as much as they could have achieved if they won of course.
    Public Matches will also feature a new ranking system via 'Belt rankings' similar to COD's military rankings and Yes you can even prestige (but it should be called something different, even Assassins Creed calls it prestiging and it just sounds weird outside COD)
    So here is the deal: You play as Ken, you start out a white belt. You rank up to 1st degree black, then you 'prestige' and rank up to 2nd degree black and so on.
    What do you get for 'prestige' - Gems or Perks or ISMs call it whatever you like.
    This is where customization comes into play. Customization is EARNED for dedication and hard work with your character.
    So you when you 'prestige' you get an unlock token, unlock tokens allow you to do multiple things and here are just a few I adopted from SFxTk and some categories have multiple stages you can select; sample:
    Power Boost (numbers in %): +10Dmg, +10Dmg - 5 Def, +10 Dmg - 10 Def
    So say you use three tokens to unlock the Power boost levels 1 - 3; Now your Ken will dish out an extra 30% damage but will recieve an extra 15% damage when hit all in an effort to balance the levels. (I have many more ideas for unlockable perks if interested)
    Eventually you'll hit the rank of Master at say level 10 and you'll have 10 tokens but there will be say 25 things to unlock (including the redo token), making decisions very important! So you can't unlock everything with one character.
    These perks will be used in Create-a-Class system where only 3 can be equipped at a time.

This mode strongly rewards players for playing and devoting themselves to a character giving importance and understand of having a 'Main'
    Titles, Colors, Costumes, Emblems all of these things can be unlocked in this mode as well.

Lastly we have "League Play"
    League play is where you only accumlate and lose Player Points. This mode is similar to the ranked mode we all know now.
    Battle Points are no longer effective but will be displayed to show the players' experience using that character.
    Perks obtained/create a class setups in Public matches will carry over into league play but can also be turned off if in search options.
    This will encourage 'rank only' players to try out the other modes and experience something fresh.
    League Play will feature a revamped ranking system that will start every player at 'C' rank or neutral state.
    When you win you rank up to say S rank or World Warrior being the max
    or you'll actually rank down if you can't maintain the your level.
    This will promote public matches even more where you can play, learn without consequence and then you can step up into high level competive League Play.

That was a hell of a lot to type but I think these elements could be really exciting and a definate change of pace to other fighters.
    Street Fighter helped kick start the fighting game evolution and practically brought it back from the grave.
    So they need to stay ahead of the competition -- What do you guys think!?
    Am I banned from SRK forever?
    Chun Li and Juri Loyalty for LIFE!
    DoA5: Tina Armstrong - Cuz I gotsta play 1 grappler in my life
  • SubjectiveSubjective Joined: Posts: 171
    SF5 needs to be a sequel to SF3. SF4 seems too much like a 'dream match' game. Hugely reduced cast, fresh look, new characters, easy on the shotos
  • TNBTNB Bye. Joined: Posts: 1,180
    ^

I've been thinking about a 3d sf fighting game with inspirations from Ryu Final (the manga adaptation of Sf3) and other 3d fighters.
    I'd like to take it in a direction that isn't done in 3d fighters currently. Make it simple, easy to pick up, hard to completely master. Less emphasis on air juggles/ huge movelist and more on the strategy.

I've been thinking of something like this since the sf4 trailer and before, in 3s, which is kind of like a 3d fighter in 2 dimensions.
    Remember how epic this was?

Yeah that's the real sf4 right there. The game that would've happened had they had enough time to not resort to what it is now.
    I was hype for that. I want that trailer to be a game or have a game that at least carries out the soul of sf into new territory.

Controls: 3 Buttons- PKG. Maybe 4 like Tekken. Players shouldn't be bogged down by strings though.

Movement: Kind of like DOA or Soul Calibur with a basis in reality, with fighters moving around, sizing each other up and then striking. Tekken's movement can be very hard to pick up. I think proper stepping could be considered "an evade" when done with the right timing, similar to vf. Movement should be applicable to the situation, instead of just walking a lot of the time (DOA) or mostly dashing (VF, Tekken). It shoudl just kind of come to people, yet still have secrets. "Deceptively simple". 2d sf has a lot you can do with just positioning without a lot of gimmicks.

Parrying- Like VF. Whiff animation.

Roster: No 40 character roster. People should be able to pick this up and learn matchups like back in the day.

Specials: Special moves should be "special" again. Normals should be emphasized.

Visually, I think it should be impactful, but also... well.. violent. Getting scuffed up is what happens when you fight. Maybe not so much as a really long boxing match or mk, but fighters should show a little bit of wear.

I want it to look dynamic. Something that pops away from the rest. I don't really want it to look like the fighters are locked on this 2d plane. It's a 3d fighter, I think the camera should move a bit. Even just having dynamic or more realistic stages

Stages- Stages should be interesting and dynamic, taking cues from real life and other fighters like DOA and Tekken 4. Not necessarily with explosions, but I like where DOA5 was going with stages. I think after the rooftop stage and the beta it dropped the ball though and started going back to it's old ways a bit too much. It looked more serious, with the dirt and the darkness, the fighters getting more dirty when they fight (and dressing more conservatively) and less like boob-anime time.

Unlike Tekken 4, I don't want wall-finites. The thing I like about T4 stages is that they aren't just themed arenas- they could be real places. They don't extend infinitely either and the obstacles are there as part of the set. It 's up to the player to make use of them.
    Of course, there can be some linear stages as well.

Oh, and that one grass stage.
    You know the one.

Music:
    The music should say "!#!#@ YEAH STREET FIGHTER".

None of that watered down sf music.

Ryu:
    This design can take inspiration from Ryu Final.
    http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/S/Shaomai/20070508/20070508003052.jpg

At the end of this manga, Ryu has defeated Gouki and found peace with himself and has become a "true warrior", passing the torch, in a way, to Alex. He makes his own contribution to his master's fighting style, "the fist of the wind". This was used as his focus attack in sf4, but I would like to think of it more as a desperation move or a super. Something that can auto guard or negate a hit and deliver a devastating blow. The key word is desperation or "finisher". Not a crutch.

http://www.noe-v.com/images/articles/rf17.jpg

Stylistically, I think what should come through is his apparent mastery of his art and his experience. Ryu should be adept at countering the opponent and striking back hard. He's also seen a lot in his day and I think it's time some of the moves of his opponents were incorporated in his style a bit. He could even have a "learn" or "mimic" type move where he can temporarily have a normal/throw move of his opponents.. possibly. He's been hit by and has seen the moves of the world warriors so many times at this point that it should be natural to have incorporated some of them.

Physically, he should be disciplined in his offense, and straight on. He should be explosive, but know when to unleash it and have an adept master of parrying/countering, with a bit more of a basis in kyokushin/mas ooyama and perhaps moves like Akira's in VF (or Yun's, particularly the shoulder tackle, minus the juggl). He should have this inherent, intense power that can be turned on at the flick of the a, but must be tempered and used according to the situation.

Still, his style should harken back to his old ways. Ryu is typically a character that is a do-it-all, but he's adept at baiting opponents.

I think he should still posses his special moves, but he shouldn't be them. He should still possess a really fast hadouken, but it should be done so that it isn't something that is used all the time. It's a >special< move. Possibly something that he whips out in a flash to blow someone away-. like a double palm strike that releases a blue flash with considerable knockback.

Alex:
    Alex has taken up the "Ryu" torch. He's traveling the world trying, to become a true fighter. True to his old style, he should have a lot of moves and be a mixed martial artist/wrestler. Contrary to his third strike incarnation, I think he should be a bit better rounded. He should still be himself but not super low tier, and I think that having him in a 3df would help with that some. He should be a fighter that can be played very creatively, with players able to invent solutions to certain situations. The flash chop should still be present, but it should be better at countering other moves.

Ken: Ken should remain true to his 3s design, but incorporating new moves and techniques. Ken at this point should be a better, more rounded character (like in 3s), recognizing the need for defense while still maintaining his firey and explosive offense. The new moves, I think, should follow the current trend and be a mix of kyokushinkai/ shotokan and Muay Thai. Ken should be more of a master and something to fear but still bis offensive/ physical attacker self, just evolved.

Ken v. Ryu should be a sight to behold!

It should make people want to play the game.
    Skills and attitude prove worth as a player, not the internet.
    SF5 needs to be a sequel to SF3. SF4 seems too much like a 'dream match' game. Hugely reduced cast, fresh look, new characters, easy on the shotos

Couldn't agree more with the reduced cast.
    Everyone wants to see how many characters they can shove into a select screen, the problem with that is balancing a huge cast.
    You have multiple characters of the same type - shotos ( 9 out of 39 characters...really capcom?)
    Weak characters with hardly any tools to deal with the strongest characters.
    A reduced cast of 20 - 25 characters would be ideal

I saw Genistar's character list above; would it possible to create a poll with all SF characters and pick the top 20 leaving room for a maybe a few new commers.
    Here is a list I thought about while playing some Alpha 3 last night and remembering the old school days:
    (alphabetical order and limited to 20 leaving room for a few other fan favorites and new characters)

Alex - replacing Abel and bringing back a 3rd striker
    Balrog
    Birdie
    Bison (Dictator)
    Cammy
    Charlie - replacing Guile, but maybe Guile can have a cameo in Charlie's intro
    Chun Li - motion based like SFxTk and for christ sake give her a detective/swat style outfit!
    C. Viper - Now working with Chun Li and Cammy also helping replace Guile
    Eagle/Maki - A stick weilder either way you go, replacing Rolento
    Joe - from the original street fighter, replaces Adon and adds a fresh kickboxer to the mix.
    Juri - a familiar new face with a solid fan following and destoryer of SIN (maybe she could be the boss)
    Hugo - With poison cameo
    Ken Masters
    Oro
    Remy
    Ryu - Give Dhalsim a cameo here for helping train Ryu in controlling his rage like in the Udon comics
    Sagat - Give Dhalsim a cameo here for helping train Sagat like in the Udon comics
    Sean - replacing Dan
    Urien
    Zangeif or Haggar

I tried to focus on an interesting mix of styles and design

I would also like to see the return of Alpha style counters.
    Each character should have a risk/reward counter/parry for lows and highs
    This would also allow characters that don't have a got to reversal an alternate defensive option
  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    no to everything on this page.
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
    Everyone wants to see how many characters they can shove into a select screen, the problem with that is balancing a huge cast.
    You have multiple characters of the same type - shotos ( 9 out of 39 characters...really capcom?)

I saw Genistar's character list above; would it possible to create a poll with all SF characters and pick the top 20 leaving room for a maybe a few new commers.
    Here is a list I thought about while playing some Alpha 3 last night and remembering the old school days:
    (alphabetical order and limited to 20 leaving room for a few other fan favorites and new characters)

Balrog
    Birdie
    Bison (Dictator)
    Cammy
    Chun Li - motion based like SFxTk and for christ sake give her a detective/swat style outfit!
    Joe - from the original street fighter, replaces Adon and adds a fresh kickboxer to the mix.
    Juri - a familiar new face with a solid fan following and destoryer of SIN (maybe she could be the boss)
    Hugo - With poison cameo
    Ken Masters
    Oro
    Remy
    Ryu - Give Dhalsim a cameo here for helping train Ryu in controlling his rage like in the Udon comics
    Sagat - Give Dhalsim a cameo here for helping train Sagat like in the Udon comics
    Sean - replacing Dan
    Urien
    Zangeif or Haggar

This would also allow characters that don't have a got to reversal an alternate defensive option

I remember reading in a British magazine Ono has hinted that Abel and Juri will appear in future Street Fighters. If anything Alex and Abel will appear in the same game whether it's Alpha 4 or Street Fighter 5.
  • True TatsuTrue Tatsu Senpuu or Seppuku Joined: Posts: 1,523 ✭✭
    Despite whatever similarities Abel and Alex may have they would still play fairly differently, even within the same game.

must haves: Akuma (boss), Chun-Li (1st girl), Ken (player2), Ryu (icon)...

SFA- Charlie, Eagle, Sakura... (Karin/Rose)
    SF2- Bison, Cammy, Sagat... (Balrog/Zangief)
    FF- Haggar, Hugo, Poison... (Maki/Rolento)
    SF4- Abel, C.Viper, Juri... (Oni/Seth)
    SF3- Alex, Elena, Urien... (Makoto/Oro)
    SF5- Boss, Bouncer, Challenger, Random, Rival (Alternative/NewGirl)

Plausible IP Inserts: Batsu & Kyosuke (RS); Asura (from his wrath)
    :sad: tier bending :bluu: the saltiest of techniques :shake:
    I think a Rival Schools addition would be a fun touch
    but like you said 'plausible IP'
    I fear they'd run into the same issues as Karin apparently has; real shame too cuz Karin is fun in Alpha 3
    real shame too cuz Karin is fun in Alpha 3
    imho, Karin would have been a better addition to vanilla SF4 than Abel (or Elf, Ruf,... Hak) before Gouken was playable. but back on topic...

Each of the characters I chose was an attempt to 1st be impartial and practical then follow the trends Capcom has shown.

Of the top 3 choices... and the runners up
    SFA- two are very popular, two were not in SF4, one is practically a new tribute character filling two roles... theses girls are more unique than the popular Sakura.
    SF2- Simply the most popular... and played of the remaining ST 16.
    FF- Break out characters from cross over games and were not in SF4... or gently used 2nd appearance.
    SF4- America's best lead, Capcom's Vip, Japan's underrated replacement... better than the other new cast.
    SF3- Popular and used outside of SF, while not in SF4... wanted and used or fills a role.

Some alternatives I wanted... that would never make it in
    SFA- Juli&Juni; I played them over Cammy in A3... they could have been a single player tag team (think XvSF meets Gen)
    SF2- T.Hawk; wished his A3 or SSF4 condor spire were just a little better (more reach?)
    FF- Carlos Miyamoto of FF2, however, he uses a sword.
    SF4- Gouken; short of someone looking for him since SF4 (and after SF3 events) there is little reason for Gouken to be in SF5.
    SF3- Sean/Twelve; needs to meet up against Sakura as Ken's would be apprentice; Ono likes him iirc./ better suited for a VS game.
  • NiitrisNiitris Joined: Posts: 67 ✭✭
    1. Bring back parries, but give them more cooldown so that poking can still be viable.
    2. Expand on target combos (give the fighters more and make them more diverse). Those did so much for SF3's characters (Dudley wouldn't be as fun to play without his target combos).
    3. Ultras should only be done once a match and only if your about to lose the match, not a round (I perfer having no Ultras at all, but that's hoping for too much).
    4. Characters should be able to use all of their supers, not selecting one (this isn't a big deal, i just like it that way better).
    5. Interactive stages (but nothing cinematic or distracting). I want to see stuff like crates breaking (like Guile's SF2 stage) and being hit through brick walls (not over the top explosions or stuff like that).
    6. 2P outfits. Capcom is using 3D graphics now, time for alternate costumes and other 3D stuff.
    7. Customizable BGM (like TTT2).
    8. Add an "easy mode." One button specials for casuals (of course no easy mode for online play, ranked or player).
    9. Add a tutorial that explains the fundamentals of fighting (which is proper movement, offense, and defense). Too many tutorials teach people how to play a particular game and not how to fight properly.
    10. Elaborate and cinematic character cutscenes, prologues, and endings. Story modes are overrated (besides, I don't like playing certain characters).
    You're all basically advocating another Super Street Fighter IV clone.

Have a few characters from 1, 2, 3, 4 and new players for 5???
    Hello, this is the same formula they used for SSFIV!!!!

SF V just needs a couple of fighters like Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Akuma, Abel and Juri and the rest need to be new. I'd say the first instalment of V needs to have only about 16-20 characters.

Have a new female boss, and you've got yourself a good Street Fighter.
  • Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Kneel before my diaper! Joined: Posts: 71
    SF V just needs a couple of fighters like Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Akuma, Abel and Juri and the rest need to be new.

This was one of the primary reasons Street Fighter 3 flopped when it first came out. Like it or not, the next Street Fighter is going to draw most of it's cast from previous games. Capcom learned their lesson on that one the hard way.
  • rayplayrayplay aka solidoutlaw Joined: Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭
    Why do people keep asking for brand new rosters? We have tons of characters with already established playstyles. I'm 98% sure if they made a new roster, then, just like SF3, they'd have a bunch of characters that are nothing but slightly evolved versions of older characters. And if they're going to do that, save some time and just update the designs of the current characters, and expand their movelist.
    PSN: rayplay
    I'm outrageous. So anti social that I make others feel like THEY'RE the outcasts, not me.
    "Fall down seven times, get up eight." - T.O.M.
    In the end as long as Chun Li and Juri is in SF5 or Alpha 4 (Juri may be stretching it for Alpha due to 'canon timeline', wait SF has canon?)
    I'll be a fappy boy, I mean happy boy.
  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    facepalm.jpg
    i give up.
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
    In the end as long as Chun Li and Juri is in SF5 or Alpha 4 (Juri may be stretching it for Alpha due to 'canon timeline', wait SF has canon?)
    It's not like she (Juri) wasn't around during then. I forget how many years passed from alpha 3 to sf4 (5? 6?) but she'd be in her late teens to early 20s I'd imagine.
    I'm outrageous. So anti social that I make others feel like THEY'RE the outcasts, not me.
  • The Tall NerdThe Tall Nerd Joined: Posts: 398
    i want ryu to be a character like x in the zero games, just not evil.
    just a master

and someone else trains and stuff
    just a master

Well originally X was going to be evil and he was going to beat zero but then realize how bad he had become and let zero kill him :oops:
  • The Tall NerdThe Tall Nerd Joined: Posts: 398
    Well originally X was going to be evil and he was going to beat zero but then realize how bad he had become and let zero kill him :oops:

true, do not be shy of your awesome megaman knowledge
    it is most help full, i have not played zero in years, hell the last megaman games i bought
    were zx and zx advent
  • CanadianDstryrCanadianDstryr Team BdP founding member Joined: Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭
    I think a Rival Schools addition would be a fun touch
    but like you said 'plausible IP'
    I fear they'd run into the same issues as Karin apparently has; real shame too cuz Karin is fun in Alpha 3

What issues are you referring to with Karin?
  • girlystylegirlystyle Only plays Fugazi Joined: Posts: 1,804
    What issues are you referring to with Karin?

copyright issues with the original artist or some shizz
    people only pay attention to me because of my vagina awesome penis
  • supesupe Joined: Posts: 20
    I'm a story-driven gamer (er... don't ask me why I like SF), so from my perspective, SF5 cannot have a wholly new cast until two major storylines are complete: the Ryu power saga, and the Shadaloo saga. I believe the following are true as of SF3:

- Ryu masters his power
    - Chun Li takes down Shadaloo

Without messing up established canon, I'd like SF5 to show how these things happen. Once these two storylines are completed, it will be a fitting sendoff to retirement for the characters that built Street Fighter (Ken, Cammy, Guile etc. will play key supporting roles of course).

Then it will be more palatable to the public when SF6 introduces an entirely new cast (Ryu's apprentice, Chun's orphan, Cammy's Delta Red recruit, etc.)
  • CanadianDstryrCanadianDstryr Team BdP founding member Joined: Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense, Karin is basically Nakahira's OC he made just so Sakura could have an antagonist in his manga.
    Shame that would be the case though, I'd love to see her again.
    just a master

Well... Sean was told to go fight Ryu... after not qualifying or something. If Ono really wants to bring back the shunned shoto, having him searching for Ryu could work. The 'battle director' would need to keep him mid tier and up though, or the masses could just hate him again. Sean :confused: not Ono.
    I'm a story-driven gamer (er... don't ask me why I like SF), so from my perspective, SF5 cannot have a wholly new cast until two major storylines are complete: the Ryu power saga, and the Shadaloo saga. I believe the following are true as of SF3:

- Ryu masters his power
    - Chun Li takes down Shadaloo

Without messing up established canon, I'd like SF5 to show how these things happen. Once these two storylines are completed, it will be a fitting sendoff to retirement for the characters that built Street Fighter (Ken, Cammy, Guile etc. will play key supporting roles of course).

Then it will be more palatable to the public when SF6 introduces an entirely new cast (Ryu's apprentice, Chun's orphan, Cammy's Delta Red recruit, etc.)
    So... Ryu could be SF5's Gouken?
    Just a thought but... What if Akuma, Ryu, Ken, and M.Bison were (hidden) sub bosses for a vanilla SF5?
    Makes sense, Karin is basically Nakahira's OC he made just so Sakura could have an antagonist in his manga.
    Shame that would be the case though, I'd love to see her again.
    I can't find the source (and i'll look again) but... I thought he was all for Capcom using his character again.
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 202
    This was one of the primary reasons Street Fighter 3 flopped when it first came out. Like it or not, the next Street Fighter is going to draw most of it's cast from previous games. Capcom learned their lesson on that one the hard way.

While I agree that we do not need another SF3 situation where its too unfamiliar, we also do not need another SFIV situation where it seemed like EVERYBODY was in it. SFIV roster was appropriate only b/c SF has been gone for so long that a reunion was necessary.

SFV should not be a dream match dump of Capcom characters you love( and sorta love), but just enough old characters for players to feel comfortable playing a new game w/ many new faces.

Capcom shouldn't be afraid to shake things up a little bit. In SFIV, 2.5D was the risk. In SFV, something has to change for the franchise to stay fresh. And in my opinion, its the cast.
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
    So... Ryu could be SF5's Gouken?
    Just a thought but... What if Akuma, Ryu, Ken, and M.Bison were (hidden) sub bosses for a vanilla SF5?
    I was thinking Ryu should start SF5 still trying to master his power, and finally masters it at the end of the game. Tie his plot into the main plot where Chunny takes down Shadaloo.

And yes, I was also thinking about hidden bosses for some characters, Akuma for Ryu being an obvious one. Bison on the other hand I'd like as the final boss for everyone (homage as the original boss), but Chunny's victory would be canon. Or perhaps everyone fights a clone Bison and Chunny fights the real one with his original soul (and is forced to destroy it somehow, because Chunny can't destroy a soul maliciously, she's too much of a sweetie). I'll leave the how's to Capcom, although I'm urged to pen a fanfic now... :)

IMO this will maintain plot continuity with SF3, pay homage to the characters that built the franchise, and complete the storylines to clear the way for SF6 and a new cast. This is my ideal scenario, but storytelling has always been an afterthought in this franchise since the majority of players care nothing for it... :(
    I was thinking Ryu should start SF5 still trying to master his power, and finally masters it at the end of the game. Tie his plot into the main plot where Chunny takes down Shadaloo.

Ryu has been trying to master power and Chun-Li has been trying to take down Shadowloo since like, 1992.

If you really wanted a new story, it'd need to be anything BUT this.

SF3 had some interesting story ideas but they never went anywhere because fighting games aren't exactly story-heavy to begin with.
    Check out my work!

TUMBLR | hk-5.net
    But if Ryu masters his power, the symbolism goes away :(
    Ryu has been trying to master power and Chun-Li has been trying to take down Shadowloo since like, 1992.
    SF3 had some interesting story ideas but they never went anywhere because fighting games aren't exactly story-heavy to begin with.

I was thinking certain characters would interact with the veteran 4 and we would learn...
    M.Bison- with a new body at 100% (unlike in SF4, and excuses his absents in SF3) the Dictator finds he is alone, (almost alone) and wants revenge before trying to consolidate his scattered empire. Chunli would be among his primary targets.
    Ryu- has defeated Akuma, mastered the lessons of Gouken, and is ready to train with Oro.
    Ken- has become a family man, but hasn't lost a step. He has excepted the role of teaching Sean so he can be a better teacher for Mel.
    Akuma/Oni- has lost to Ryu, yet was spared. Now his focus is more than growing within SnH but beyond its limitations. Were Akuma was consumed by Killing Intent when in battle, as Oni he reawakens the man he was when he 1st killed his master and chose this warriors path. Gouki is in control and his views refocused.

I was thinking Akuma would be among the standard roster (contemplating his defeat at Ryu's hands) as the core shoto and Oni would be the secret boss. You would only fight him as Oni if you meet the right conditions.

Street Fighter III didn't actually flop when it came out, it was actually quite popular in arcades.

The reasons for lack of console sales was due to the fact that SF III was only ported to Dreamcast and Street Fighter III only had three editions as opposed to II which had 5 editions. Street Fighter IV did quite well not due to the roster but the fact that Street Fighter IV was on several consoles and there was a decade wait from III to IV.

I would put money on it that Chun Li and Juri will be in 5 or Alpha 4.
    I was thinking certain characters would interact with the veteran 4 and we would learn...
    M.Bison- with a new body at 100% (unlike in SF4, and excuses his absents in SF3) the Dictator finds he is alone, (almost alone) and wants revenge before trying to consolidate his scattered empire. Chunli would be among his primary targets.
    Ryu- has defeated Akuma, mastered the lessons of Gouken, and is ready to train with Oro.
    Ken- has become a family man, but hasn't lost a step. He has excepted the role of teaching Sean so he can be a better teacher for Mel.
    Akuma/Oni- has lost to Ryu, yet was spared. Now his focus is more than growing within SnH but beyond its limitations. Were Akuma was consumed by Killing Intent when in battle, as Oni he reawakens the man he was when he 1st killed his master and chose this warriors path. Gouki is in control and his views refocused.

I was thinking Akuma would be among the standard roster (contemplating his defeat at Ryu's hands) as the core shoto and Oni would be the secret boss. You would only fight him as Oni if you meet the right conditions.
    But that doesn't make sense. Akuma and Oro are equal (as far as we know) in strength. If Ryu could suddenly beat Akuma, why would he need to train with Oro? And Gouken already told Ryu and Ken that he has nothing more to teach them. And Oni is just a what if. He's evil akuma if you will.
    I would put money on it that Chun Li and Juri will be in 5 or Alpha 4.
    Odds are they would both be in, but you never know Chun Li wasn't in SF3 - till 3rd Strike
    I remember going to arcade and seeing 2nd Impact....with no Chun Li; I raged..I raged hard - turned around and played Killer Instinct 2 instead.

At anyrate I think you all are on the right track really, Street Fighter in general has a pretty cool story going for it as the cast of character come together in some fashion. A real story mode would be cool. Everyone talks about MK9 (I never personally played it) but the story is applauded - SF can do the same.
    DOA5s story mode was cool, they could have done more of course but I appreciated the effort to use story mode as a means to teach the game.
  • DanderDander dander Joined: Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭
    But if Ryu masters his power, the symbolism goes away :(

We just see the symbol and see what it becomes then. It's not like he's dead.
    Excuse the prolixity. I cater to all and few all at once. Sorry ahead of time.
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 24,403 mod
    With all this story discussion, I almost thought I was in Unity.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

I don't want a new story, I want to complete the old story. Shadaloo was defeated between 1999 and 2009 so I thought we were done. But Capcom is unable to create games in chronological order and went back in time in SF4 to convolute the plot. To clarify:

- The SF franchise = Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, maybe a few others
    - This thread has demonstrated that:
    > Many people have seen enough shoryukens and want a new cast, new moves, new story
    > Many people think the existing cast is plenty, they just need rebalance
    - IMO, the most graceful way to introduce a new cast is to send the original cast riding into the sunset by completing their stories. Nothing says "changing of the guard" better than finality. Nobody expects Sheppard back in ME4.

With that in mind, I'm thinking:
    SF5, original cast rebalance, complete the main stories
    SF6, new characters, new stories
    But that doesn't make sense. Akuma and Oro are equal (as far as we know) in strength. If Ryu could suddenly beat Akuma, why would he need to train with Oro? And Gouken already told Ryu and Ken that he has nothing more to teach them. And Oni is just a what if. He's evil akuma if you will.
    There was a manga suggesting that Ryu had defeated Akuma, and some of the aesthetic choices in SF4ae are influenced by that media.
    SF3 has an ending were Oro considers training Ryu, and iirc Ryu has an ending suggesting he might someday.
    Yes Gouken said he had nothing more to teach Ryu in SF4, and in SF3 we see Ryu using some of Gouken's SF4 moves.
    Evil Ryu is a repeated what if character, and iirc a special boss in ae. I was suggesting Oni be used again as a plausible special boss in SF5.

If you're not happy with my suggested progressions how about simply "in SF5 we learn the conclusion of their story post SF3" then it's just a matter of how Capcom, wants to (cuts and pastes from above) complete the main stories.
    There was a manga suggesting that Ryu had defeated Akuma, and some of the aesthetic choices in SF4ae are influenced by that media.
    SF3 has an ending were Oro considers training Ryu, and iirc Ryu has an ending suggesting he might someday.
    Yes Gouken said he had nothing more to teach Ryu in SF4, and in SF3 we see Ryu using some of Gouken's SF4 moves.
    Evil Ryu is a repeated what if character, and iirc a special boss in ae. I was suggesting Oni be used again as a plausible special boss in SF5.

If you're not happy with my suggested progressions how about simply "in SF5 we learn the conclusion of their story post SF3" then it's just a matter of how Capcom, wants to (cuts and pastes from above) complete the main stories.
    The manga you refer to is the Ryu Final. Oro trains him for most of the manga and Ryu fights Akuma at the end.
    Spoiler:
    I'm tired of Ryu. I'm tired of Akuma. Bison is cool but the's been doing the same shit for 20 years. I'm tired of OMG THE DARK HADOU/SHADOWLOO.

Man, I'm tired of Street Fighter. Forget SF5. Something else...please. D:
    Check out my work!

TUMBLR | hk-5.net
  • vasili10vasili10 Forever waits Joined: Posts: 4,235
    If Ryu could suddenly beat Akuma, why would he need to train with Oro?

Besides that, Ryu doesn't want to train with Oro.
    With all this story discussion, I almost thought I was in Unity.

:rofl:
    I don't want a new story, I want to complete the old story. Shadaloo was defeated between 1999 and 2009 so I thought we were done.

Shadaloo was defeated in 1993 in the old story, now it just got dealt a crippling blow that year.

Oro has always wanted to train Ryu since he learned about him in 2I, but Ryu doesn't care for it. Even if Oro knows Ryu is underneath him and that enormous boulder in Oro's 3S ending, Ryu doesn't. He's not where Gouki or Oro want him to be in terms of sensing and perceiving with certainty who and what is around him, or where pre-SF4 Gouken was in terms of power and purity, hence Ryu's 3S ending with the leaves and his statement of there still being room left for improvement for him.
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 24,403 mod
    Small minor thing that I'd like fixed/implemented in the next SF, and other FGs as well. While most game simply show how long someone's streak has gone, I wish that the game displayed the actual win loss record of a set. I realize that the streak thing is a holdover from the arcade days, when the only way to stay on the cab was to actually garner a streak (winner stays). But in these days where tournaments and exhibition/money matches run for multiple sets, I wish that they'd have the number of wins each player had instead of just the streak. Just add an option to reset the counter whenever it's the start of a new set.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

• cristianceron1989cristianceron1989 Joined: Posts: 9
    So basically you want this?:
    Why Capcom has no stealed this video yet?
  • NandoNando 1337 Joined: Posts: 3,519
    yall forgetting sf 1 characters

Sf 5 is gonna have 3 super meters, combo breaker, and super cancels... Because, its not what we want, its what capcom thinks we want.

Like nerfing sent, haha... fucking jokes.
    my fav combo Is Fierce into Fierce.
    Instagram Ferny_1337
    twitch.tv/El_Ferny_chingon
    #GGOP Good Game Play on ....Party On...
    XB GT: Fernandooooo ...shoot me a msg and we can run some lobbies... I suck, srsly guys-No invites haha
  • SaikoJoshSaikoJosh CRUNCH TIME Joined: Posts: 694
    SF2: Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Akuma, Cammy, Guile
    SF3: Urien, Makoto, Ibuki, Alex,
    SFA: Rolento, Cody, Guy, Poison, Sakura, Karin
    SF4: Oni, Abel, Juri, Gouken, C.Viper
    SF5: 5 new SF5 characters

Engine:
    A 4f reversal window instead of 5f
    Keep the same style as SF4 but instead upgrade the graphics. (Have the game run atleast 1.5 times faster than sf4.)
    Give a power boost type thing kind of like an x factor where it boosts each characters power or speed but for 12 seconds of the match.
    keep supers 3 bars.

Balrog
    Birdie
    Bison (Dictator)
    Cammy
    Hugo - With poison cameo
    Ken Masters
    Oro
    Remy
    Sean - replacing Dan
    Urien
    Zangeif or Haggar

^

I've been thinking about a 3d sf fighting game with inspirations from Ryu Final (the manga adaptation of Sf3) and other 3d fighters.
    I'd like to take it in a direction that isn't done in 3d fighters currently. Make it simple, easy to pick up, hard to completely master. Less emphasis on air juggles/ huge movelist and more on the strategy.

I've been thinking of something like this since the sf4 trailer and before, in 3s, which is kind of like a 3d fighter in 2 dimensions.
    Remember how epic this was?

Yeah that's the real sf4 right there. The game that would've happened had they had enough time to not resort to what it is now.
    I was hype for that. I want that trailer to be a game or have a game that at least carries out the soul of sf into new territory.

Controls: 3 Buttons- PKG. Maybe 4 like Tekken. Players shouldn't be bogged down by strings though.

Movement: Kind of like DOA or Soul Calibur with a basis in reality, with fighters moving around, sizing each other up and then striking. Tekken's movement can be very hard to pick up. I think proper stepping could be considered "an evade" when done with the right timing, similar to vf. Movement should be applicable to the situation, instead of just walking a lot of the time (DOA) or mostly dashing (VF, Tekken). It shoudl just kind of come to people, yet still have secrets. "Deceptively simple". 2d sf has a lot you can do with just positioning without a lot of gimmicks.

Parrying- Like VF. Whiff animation.

Roster: No 40 character roster. People should be able to pick this up and learn matchups like back in the day.

Specials: Special moves should be "special" again. Normals should be emphasized.

Visually, I think it should be impactful, but also... well.. violent. Getting scuffed up is what happens when you fight. Maybe not so much as a really long boxing match or mk, but fighters should show a little bit of wear.

I want it to look dynamic. Something that pops away from the rest. I don't really want it to look like the fighters are locked on this 2d plane. It's a 3d fighter, I think the camera should move a bit. Even just having dynamic or more realistic stages

Stages- Stages should be interesting and dynamic, taking cues from real life and other fighters like DOA and Tekken 4. Not necessarily with explosions, but I like where DOA5 was going with stages. I think after the rooftop stage and the beta it dropped the ball though and started going back to it's old ways a bit too much. It looked more serious, with the dirt and the darkness, the fighters getting more dirty when they fight (and dressing more conservatively) and less like boob-anime time.

Unlike Tekken 4, I don't want wall-finites. The thing I like about T4 stages is that they aren't just themed arenas- they could be real places. They don't extend infinitely either and the obstacles are there as part of the set. It 's up to the player to make use of them.
    Of course, there can be some linear stages as well.

Oh, and that one grass stage.
    You know the one.

Music:
    The music should say "!#!#@ YEAH STREET FIGHTER".
    It should make people want to play the game.

You're all basically advocating another Super Street Fighter IV clone.

Have a few characters from 1, 2, 3, 4 and new players for 5???
    Hello, this is the same formula they used for SSFIV!!!!

SF V just needs a couple of fighters like Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Akuma, Abel and Juri and the rest need to be new. I'd say the first instalment of V needs to have only about 16-20 characters.

Have a new female boss, and you've got yourself a good Street Fighter.

You people have the most mind-numbingly idiotic ideas for SF5.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    BIG THUG NUTZ
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • SisqoDisqoSisqoDisqo Sign Up Date: November 1995 Joined: Posts: 376
    I personally want to see Juicy J be a guest character in the next SF.

his fighting style will be trip-fu, or Trap-aholic-kwan-do. It will be in the vein of Shun Di, where you have to pull off a move so he can sip the double cups or hit the trippy stick to increase certain attributes and/or enable a bigger list of moves. :nunchuck:

:snkd::snka::m:N