Skullgirls Easter Eggs Thread: Giant Moai Head Inside

doyoudigwormsdoyoudigworms RIP MoebiusJoined: Posts: 569
peacock_017.jpg

If you have not already noticed Skullgirls has a ton of really great easter eggs and homages to past fighters, pop culture, old school gaming, and the FG community. I thought it would be fun to list them as people find them and give others a chance to look for them as well.

As per the suggestion of not so saint I will do my best to keep this thread cleaned up and structured. The categories are divided as such:
  • Palettes
  • Move animations
  • Quotes (either text or voiceovers)
  • Stages
  • Misc
Palettes
Spoiler:

Move Animations
Spoiler:

Quotes
Spoiler:

Stages
Spoiler:

Misc
Spoiler:
3S: Q / VS: Aulbath / P4U: Mitsuru / ST: DeeJay / KOFXIII: Elisabeth/Takuma/Ash
·

Comments

• Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,013 ✭✭✭
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
    ·
  • doyoudigwormsdoyoudigworms RIP Moebius Joined: Posts: 569

Oh nice I have not seen this. Hopper's Nighthawks.
    ·
  • IBuntaIBunta Fish will fry at this location Joined: Posts: 12
    Its really obvious but Filia's colour 9 is a referance to Hatsune Miku Illu_KEI_Vocaloid_Hatsune_Miku-img3.jpg
    ·
  • ViolentDjangoViolentDjango KEEP CALM and EWGF Joined: Posts: 1,170
    Peacock:

"What a maroon": Bugs Bunny
    "Sufferin' sackatash": Slyvester the Cat
    "Bang Bang Bang!": Deadpool from MvC3
    George's Day Off: George of the Jungle, The Snoring/George's Day Off
    Kick the Football, Peacock: Peanuts
    Stuff n' Puff: H.R. Pufnstuf
    Banjo Trouble: Dante from MvC3
    Robo with a Shotgun: Hobo with a Shotgun
    Buzzin Buzzard: Tex Avery's "What's Buzzin' Buzzard"
    Geogre at the Air Show: Curious George reference (?)
    Who's on second?: Abbot and Costello
    Lonesome Lenny: Lonesome Lenny
    Goodfellas: Goodfellas
    [SIZE=14px]SFxTK: Lars/Kazuya, Bryan/Marduk | P4U: Undecided | BBCS: Valkenhayn[/SIZE]
    Fundamentals: [OO~~~] | Theory: [OOOO~] | Execution: [OO~~~] | Beast Mode: [OO~~~]
    Check out my Nerd Dating/Life Advice Blog: www.AskGeekLink.com
    ·
    Awesome keep em' coming. I did not pick-up on some of these.
    ·
  • BoodendorfBoodendorf Imposing your will is a matter of strength. Joined: Posts: 1,465
    In one of Filia's intro, Samson might say "Don't think, fight!" as a reference to "Don't think, feel!"
    Or whatever it was.
    "‎I don't know if you've ever let someone down, got your ass kicked or straight up failed. But those are the moments that define us. They push you further than you've ever thought possible, and force you to make choices. No matter what the cost." — Cole MacGrath
    Check out my youtube channel here!
    Skullgirls: Hamburger/Befstróganov/Filet Mignon ლ(´ڡ`ლ)
    ·
  • Chef BorjanChef Borjan Joined: Posts: 807
    The core gameplay, the well thought out navigation design etc make this game great...

But this shit here makes it godlike.
    ·
    One of Ms. Fortune's colours happens to be Darkstalker's Morrigan. Looks really hip as well.
    ·
  • AndoTheCommandoAndoTheCommando Sorry I'm late! Joined: Posts: 2,577 ✭✭
    Peacock's item drop drops Hsien-ko's Tenrai Ha (both full and one ball versions.)
    also, the Steamroller (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, WRRRRYYYYYY.)
    and Japanese Ms. Fortune Head (Not sure, can someone fill me in on this?)
    Also she has her steamboat willie colour palette.
    I also got Cerebella's derpy looking cat creature to come out, not sure how and not sure if it references something.
    Umbrella also references KFC combos (a reference to the short-lived XFC typo meme, GET IN LINE.)
    As well as Sonic Boobs (Gimmeh the Chocolate. Skeet Fighter.)
    Parasoul has a Kneesocks palette from the anime Panty and Stocking.
    Filia has a High School of the Dead uniform colour palette.
    Announcer says "Now that's real soviet damage!" a reference to Mike Z's Tager video.
    He also says "It's Super Effective!" a Pokémon game reference.
    He also says "The Gorilla Fate is yearning!" a reference to the Blazblue entry announcement.
    "If I can't beat it, it's probably broken."- Ben Perkins
    ·
    In Parasoul's Story Mode, Umbrella makes a reference to the old pre-release MvC3 KFC combo meme.

Ninja'd
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    ·
  • ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most obvious ones are the A3 commentator quotes.
    ·
  • SDoubleYooSDoubleYoo SoCal Joined: Posts: 71
    Funny intro quote bella vs fortune. "You can haz cheezeburger?" - Cerebella "Thats racist!" - Ms Fortune
    Tron / Nova / Racoon
    Sakura / Oni
    Valentine / Parasoul / Filia
    XBL: skawty888
    ·
  • BoodendorfBoodendorf Imposing your will is a matter of strength. Joined: Posts: 1,465
    I believe it's a reference to those Touhou heads ("Take it easy!") Yukuris.
    "‎I don't know if you've ever let someone down, got your ass kicked or straight up failed. But those are the moments that define us. They push you further than you've ever thought possible, and force you to make choices. No matter what the cost." — Cole MacGrath
    ·
    Double also has a Sub-zero slide move, as well as a R.Mika (or Hugo?) buttslam move, as well as her Gradius reference in her Level 5.
    ·
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    The actual act of Peacock's item drops maaaaaay be an homage to Bad Luck Blackie, a classic Tex Avery cartoon where a small cat blows a whistle to call a black cat to give a troubling dog bad luck, which results in crap literally falling on his head.

·
  • JPremJPrem King God Head Joined: Posts: 496
    Not sure if it's intentional, but Double's translucent green palette reminds me of Flubber lol, also her "oil" palette kind of makes me think of Inque from Batman Beyond...

Ms Fortune says "Sufferin Succotash" vs Peacock. Umbrella mentions KFC combos in Parasoul's story mode (a reference to vanilla MvC3's early days on SRK maybe?).

Edit: Ninja'd D:
    UMvC3: Vergil/Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom + Trish/Viper/Iron Fist
    BlazBlue: Relius/Valkenhayn/Platinum/Hazama
    Skullgirls: Ms Fortune/Double/Parasoul
    ·
  • JarvJarv Frickin' Normie Joined: Posts: 1,919
    Umbrella also references KFC combos (a reference to the short-lived XFC typo meme, GET IN LINE.)

The full quote is "I thought I'd get to see your sonic boobs, pool balls and KFC combos!" Pool balls being a Venom reference?
    - it looked really annoying
    so I kept doing it
    /fighting games
    ·
    Jarv wrote:
    The full quote is "I thought I'd get to see your sonic boobs, pool balls and KFC combos!" Pool balls being a Venom reference?
    Thanks, I couldn't for the life of me remember the line, and yes I'm pretty sure that pool balls is a Venom reference.
    ·
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    Isn't Bonus-kun Ryu's bag to begin with?
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
    ·
  • SoothsayerSoothsayer ↑,↑,↓,↓,←,→,←,→, B, A, SELECT, Start. Joined: Posts: 305
    I may be the only one who noticed it since I'm the only one who played the game or it may be in reference to something else but when I was doing the tutorials the announcer said "Impossible to Gauge!" I think that was a reference to Final Fantasy XI the Notorious Monsters would always check as that phrase if you tried to gauge their strength with the in-game function.
    PSN: Soothsayer04 | XBL: Thomas A Hawkk
    Feel free to add me on either account, For Ultimate Marvel or Street Fighter. Now with MORE Skullgirls.
    My Artwork Request Thread -
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/soothsayers-artwork-request-thread.154447/
    ·
  • ThunderUnderpantsThunderUnderpants Entei used Roar Joined: Posts: 49
    From the footage I watched yesterday, I could have sworn I heard Peacock shout "Garbage Day" (from the slasher movie "Silent Night Deadly Night Part 2"). Can anyone confirm this?
    ·
    From the footage I watched yesterday, I could have sworn I heard Peacock shout "Garbage Day" (from the slasher movie "Silent Night Deadly Night Part 2"). Can anyone confirm this?
    Yes she does.
    ·
    Yes
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    ·
    From the footage I watched yesterday, I could have sworn I heard Peacock shout "Garbage Day!" Can anyone confirm this?
    How could I have forgotten, Peacock indeed does say Garbage Day! during her qcf. hp attack. A reference to Silent Night Deadly Night 2, an abysmal 80's movie.
    EDIT: Valentine'd... twice.
    ·
  • Shin OniShin Oni Mr. Gimmicks Joined: Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭
    Parasoul story mode. the Newscaster references "Frank" being off today.

I took it as a reference to Frank West. Could be off but seems random to throw in there.
    I don't got those.
    ·
  • ParasoulParasoul Reporting for Duty! Joined: Posts: 267
    Ms. Fortune...when you beat Parasoul she says...Uh....forget it your a pun already or something. :P
    ·
    Ms. Fortune...when you beat Parasoul she says...Uh....forget it your a pun already or something. :P

It sounds like she said "Well I... uhhh... ah, forget it your name's already a pun."
    Feel free to add me on either account, For Ultimate Marvel or Street Fighter. Now with MORE Skullgirls.
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/soothsayers-artwork-request-thread.154447/
    ·
  • ParasoulParasoul Reporting for Duty! Joined: Posts: 267
    Yeah! You got it!
    ·
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After I saw that MadMan pic...I know this is truly an FGC made game. Good shit.
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
    ·
    Peacock's item drop drops Hsien-ko's Tenrai Ha (both full and one ball versions.)
    also, the Steamroller (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, WRRRRYYYYYY.)
    Also she has her steamboat willie colour palette.
    I also got Cerebella's derpy looking cat creature to come out, not sure how and not sure if it references something.
    Parasoul has a Kneesocks palette from the anime Panty and Stocking.
    Announcer says "Now that's real soviet damage!" a reference to Mike Z's Tager video.
    He also says "It's Super Effective!" a Pokémon game reference.
    He also says "The Gorilla Fate is yearning!" a reference to the Blazblue entry announcement.

Announcer also sometimes says "Impossible to Gauge!" which is a reference to Notorious Monsters from Final Fantasy XI

Which is a much more obscure reference than it should be.
    [SIZE=14px]SFxTK: Lars/Kazuya, Bryan/Marduk | P4U: Undecided | BBCS: Valkenhayn[/SIZE]
    Fundamentals: [OO~~~] | Theory: [OOOO~] | Execution: [OO~~~] | Beast Mode: [OO~~~]
    ·
  • ZazzariusZazzarius Shaaaaaaaa! Joined: Posts: 2,264 ✭✭
    For all you Terry Bogard fans, Umbrella in parasoul's story says "C'mon get cereal."
    "Amidst the mists and fiercest frosts,
    with barest wrists and stoutest boasts,
    he thrusts his fists against the posts,
    and still insists he sees the ghosts."
    ·
  • JPremJPrem King God Head Joined: Posts: 496
    All I can ever hear when I think of Terry Bogard is "Ah you OK? BASTA WOUWF" xD
    UMvC3: Vergil/Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom + Trish/Viper/Iron Fist
    BlazBlue: Relius/Valkenhayn/Platinum/Hazama
    Skullgirls: Ms Fortune/Double/Parasoul
    ·
  • oOSnowManoOSnowMan Make your own luck Joined: Posts: 335
    Can I has a cheeseburger?
    ·
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭
    In the one night stage that has the Ryu dude these a floating creature next to the robot looking girls that looks like a miniature Scumbag from Bastion.
    ·
    I'm disappointed Peacock doesn't scream "Serenity Now!!" when she dies. :/
    In the one night stage that has the Ryu dude these a floating creature next to the robot looking girls that looks like a miniature Scumbag from Bastion.

Not sure what stage you mean...
    ·
    Announcer also sometimes says "Impossible to Gauge!" which is a reference to Notorious Monsters from Final Fantasy XI

Yeah really obscure. I would have never picked up on that.
    ·
    "Take the shot Juju" line from Parasoul's Sniper Blockbuster is a reference to a post someone made on the SG facebook page. More info here.
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    ·
    Yeah really obscure. I would have never picked up on that.

FFXI was a great game, still hands down my favorite MMO -- way more unique and way more dependent on team work that most other MMOs before and since -- in ways that built a much stronger sense of comradeship than I've experienced in any other game. Unfortunate that paired with the natural anti-social and distrust worthy nature of a lot of gamers was one of the chief issues it suffered from. :/ Oh well, though.
    ·

totally ninja'd me.
    FFXI was a great game, still hands down my favorite MMO -- way more unique and way more dependent on team work that most other MMOs before and since -- in ways that built a much stronger sense of comradeship than I've experienced in any other game. Unfortunate that paired with the natural anti-social and distrust worthy nature of a lot of gamers was one of the chief issues it suffered from. :/ Oh well, though.
    In effect it was because in endgame there was no way to get around people who ninja'd loot other than asking them to pass and if they didn't boot them
    ·

My friend poured months of his life into that game. I mean quite literally. We looked at his game time and it was insane. Suprisingly he never got into WOW. But swore by FFXI.
    ·
    totally ninja'd me.

In effect it was because in endgame there was no way to get around people who ninja'd loot other than asking them to pass and if they didn't boot them

Yeah... It had its fair share of problems (the lot system never getting alerted to something people felt was usable being among them), but it was still a great game. I often find myself debating going back to it.

One reason I can't stand SWTOR is that it feels so much like WoW (so many MMO's do), and remembering how great FFXI was so long ago, I don't understand why more games aren't more original and unique.

EDIT:

I'm really tired of SRK putting my keyboard marker in the middle of quotes and deleting out the quote I'm replying to... so annoying... I just lost half of my message to that...
    ·
    My friend poured months of his life into that game. I mean quite literally. We looked at his game time and it was insane. Suprisingly he never got into WOW. But swore by FFXI.

Before I quit I had two friends at over 1000 days played it's ridiculous how loyal some of their fanbase was.
    ·
    Yeah... It had its fair share of problems (the lot system never getting alerted to something people felt was usable being among them), but it was still a great game. I often find myself debating going back to it.

One reason I can't stand SWTOR is that it feels so much like WoW (so many MMO's do), and remembering how great FFXI was so long ago, I don't understand why more games aren't more original and unique.
    This is my last derail, WoW is in effect unique itself just everything out there clones WoW because of it's success. It's a great game but doesn't require all the teamwork FFXI did. You just need to know how to listen and know your class to be effective at WoW.
    ·
  • KijiKiji Joined: Posts: 153
    On the latestDr Subzero show, Mike Z mentions that John D's laugh can be heard during a 2 character kill and he tells the player's to "Stop Mashing!" or something along those lines when a player gets counter hit several times in a certain time frame. Oh and there's a possibility of Dr Subzero commentator DLC
    The only thing broken in MvC3, are the people that are playing MvC3.
    ·
    Parasoul has a great transformers reference when she does her QCF + KKK. I believe she says "Egret soliders ROLL OUT!" In reference to Optimus Prime's famous line from the G1 series.
    ·
  • Elbandido321Elbandido321 Joined: Posts: 183
    The announcer saying "This is tuna with bacon"
    A reference to "This Is True Love We're Makin'" The london stage theme music in CVS2.

I love this reference
    ·
  • JampJamp Toxic Beauty Joined: Posts: 7,387 mod
    If you kill a character with Cerebella's Run > Headbutt follow up, a white, pixelated 2000 number shows up like killing something in Battletoads.
    "Hey man if I lose to it, I'm pretty sure that makes it braindead." - AceKillah
    ·
  • WeechoWeecho Hardcore Lurker Joined: Posts: 738 ✭✭✭
    The announcer says "Now You're playing with Power" after a match which is a reference to an old NES commercial.
    ·
  • KNEESKILLKNEESKILL Joined: Posts: 57
    Ms. Fortune's Costume #7 is Britta from the darkest timeline in "Community." She's blonde, dressed all in black, with one wash-away blue streak in her hair.

My fave reference so far.
    ·
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX Yeah. Sure. Joined: Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats palette 10 right? You know how to get that one?
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
    ·