Skullgirls PC Port

Comments

• Smashbro29Smashbro29 Is it Mewtwo? Joined: Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever just don't make me use GFWL. Hell, I'll even take Desura over GFWL. JUST NOT GFWL!!
  • fluxcorefluxcore Fighting Kiwi Joined: Posts: 291
    I had some kind of amazing fantasy where the PC port was a kickstarter project, and backers got beta access to the port. This gave a large pool of the most enthusiastic players testing for bugs and compatibility right from the get go. It was like the best win-win situation ever.

Sigh...
    There is no knowledge that is not power
  • TV Boy CantiTV Boy Canti Joined: Posts: 45
    PC version can be the best version because:

You know why Mike Z and their team cant patch the movelist at the moment? because Sony and Microsoft fees for patches are too high, then they are triying to make a compilation of fixes in a single patch.

In Steam you dont have this problem, Dungeon Defenders developers left consoles because of this and they did a great success.

In Steam, if someone discovers a glitch or something they can patch it in less than a week, also having DLC characters hosting is cheap.

Not to mention that they removed Team Blockbusters because of the lack of power on consoles, also resolution cap.

Also if they add Steamworks or DRM Free will be the first official fighter with good online, not like Capcom fighters and their annoying Games for Windows Live.

So Mike, if you do a great job porting this to PC, I will support you in crowfunding if you need money for more DLC chars, Skullgirls 2 or another fighting title.

I don't know PSN's terms, but devs on Xbox get one, and only one, patch for free. The rest cost $40,000. And yes, this is ridiculous. This is why Uberent, Team Meat and Double Fine have switched to PC games.

Microsoft's policy is "if you get it right first time, you don't have to pay a dime!" Well Starcraft 1 got it's final patch last year. That's ten years worth of patching and one year after the sequel came out. If a game has multiplayer online, devs should be able to patch the game to their heart's delight and as long as there is community demand for it.

The fact that Skullgirls on PC is coming in the future has led me to do my first Dual Mod in anticipation.
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 23,902 mod
    Am I the only one hoping that the PC version has the hooks ready for eventual modding and even TCs? I'd love if folks were able to get their start working on their own stuff and this amazing engine. I mean, we could start simple first, like creating Marvel vs. characters in engine using existing art assets from the older games. Eventually, it would be awesome to see someone make an entire total conversion, maybe even get their own game out by licensing the engine from Reverge.
    I only found this video about what art they using in the game.
    How they do the shading is actually how i and a few other folks I know do shading in Photoshop (separate layer). It boggles me that it took forever for someone to apply this to 2D games.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

• Oil ROil R Joined: Posts: 307
    Am I the only one hoping that the PC version has the hooks ready for eventual modding and even TCs? I'd love if folks were able to get their start working on their own stuff and this amazing engine. I mean, we could start simple first, like creating Marvel vs. characters in engine using existing art assets from the older games. Eventually, it would be awesome to see someone make an entire total conversion, maybe even get their own game out by licensing the engine from Reverge.

How they do the shading is actually how i and a few other folks I know do shading in Photoshop (separate layer). It boggles me that it took forever for someone to apply this to 2D games.

LOL Morrigan sprite will look like poo in this game, LITERALLY.

But yeah Modding will be fantastic, I think this game only needs the Six grooves and custom grooves from Capcom vs Snk 2 to be perfect, (well maybe Alpha Groove will need a tweak), I wonder why other fighting games does not have this, in fact SF X Tekken with the grooves will be better than with the stupid gems.
  • LeBeauFerdinandLeBeauFerdinand Joined: Posts: 32
    I don't know PSN's terms, but devs on Xbox get one, and only one, patch for free. The rest cost $40,000. And yes, this is ridiculous. This is why Uberent, Team Meat and Double Fine have switched to PC games.

To be honest, most of these guys were PC developer to begin with, so it isn't really a complete switch. Also, if the insane Microsoft policy was a factor in their decision to go PC-only, that was not the only one, the fact most of their sells come from PC have probably somewhat weight in the process.
  • kokocipherkokocipher Butt Scratcher Joined: Posts: 75
    Mike Z said on the Ultrachen show they are working on a PC Port, so yes the info is correct.

Change the topic Title to PC Port Confirmed!
  • jinsaotomex3jinsaotomex3 It's tooth brushing time! Joined: Posts: 5,973
    Change the topic Title to PC Port Confirmed!
    Bad idea, the PC port isn't confirmed until it's officially announced. Until then it's just vaporware :-p
    Supreme Overlord and ruler of the Hentai realm.
    Brushy brushy brushy : http://pastebin.com/aPHTTgfc
    Brushing your little sister's teeth, Jin Saotome style.
  • joe2187joe2187 Joined: Posts: 58
    Nothing is 100% confirmed and the amount of testing they need to do in order to make a PC port doable is heavy, you could have an announcement within the next month to next year.

At least they are letting you know that they are doing what they can to make it happen, and are taking into consideration the feedback from the fans on how to make the port a success for the PC crowd.
    Yeah I wonder why they have problems to say something about the port, I only want an official confirmation and an estimated release date, "Summer 2012" is enough for me, like I said maybe they cant talk about it because the PC port will have the two DLC characters
    Because things could change that could either delay or even shelve the PC port. They're probably saving the announcement for wgen they're 100% sure that it will come out. I mean, look at the backlash with MML3 which was caused due to them trying to be edgy and showing off a game that wasn't 100% greenlit abd then pulling it when the numbers didn't add up.

-KR|PromilKid

• SoriphenSoriphen Joined: Posts: 42
    Would be nice to even get an estimated time...cause man, it's killing me to decide whether I should get it on console, PC, or both!
  • FireblasterFireblaster Joined: Posts: 9
    Mike Z, give us the game and we will give you MONEY. Hell, the fact that skullgirls would be an INDIE title on steam would mean so many people would buy it, even if they're steam only users that have never heard of this before. Steam is a GOLDMINE for indie titles. All you have to do is release the info.
    It isn't much that steam is a goldmine (steam is overrated) than PC gamers are a lot more indie-friendly than console gamers. A lot of indie game (Minecraft, Geminie street, the void, rainblood, etc.) have sold well without it. But true, steam give them an exposure that can help them. Still, if you don't communicate, that will not be enough. For now, I haven't see a PC-centric site speaking about Skullgirl (except in the comment section).
    Would be nice to even get an estimated time...cause man, it's killing me to decide whether I should get it on console, PC, or both!
    If you're playing competitively, then you should get it for console. If you aren't... then you should start playing competitively.

-KR|PromilKid

If you're playing competitively, then you should get it for console. If you aren't... then you should start playing competitively.
    Lol man, I'm thinking I should get it on console for now and then wait for it till xmas for steam sales. I've been having too much fun with the demo so far and have found neat stuff with Parasoul that I wanna try out online now LOL.
  • ParasoulParasoul Reporting for Duty! Joined: Posts: 263
    Hey look PC gamers asking for no GFWL version. They want it on STEAM. What a shocker guess I was right?
    Mike Z, give us the game and we will give you MONEY. Hell, the fact that skullgirls would be an INDIE title on steam would mean so many people would buy it, even if they're steam only users that have never heard of this before. Steam is a GOLDMINE for indie titles. All you have to do is release the info.
    Exactly. Also it would be one of the first few great fighting games on PC.
  • Y2RyokoY2Ryoko Joined: Posts: 112

If the PC version of Skullgirls ships with GFWL, they should be able to play against 360 players. If they release it on Steam, then there's the possibility of cross-platform play with PS3 users. I don't see how console versions = competitive play considering that the PC version should have access to a comparable pool of players online (if not more), and will probably be more stable for local play (shorter load times, fewer bugs due to hardware limitations, better patch/update infrastructure, etc).

Also, personally, GGPO on PC seems vastly superior to its console iterations, which is the primary reason I want to purchase a PC release. Maybe others have different experiences? I just remember 3SO's netcode being a travesty even now, and I can't play friends in the west coast in Skullgirls, though I can in every non-GGPO console fighter, as well as GGPO on PC.
    Hey check this:
    http://www.ea.com/news/origin-adding-games-from-11-new-partners

You can see "Autumn Games" and the only game that they have is Skullgirls, so maybe Origin?

Please we need information about this PC versions mistery!
  • VulpesVulpes No. Joined: Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with Origins but since it's EA, it's probably the devils incarnation. I hope this is for some other game.
    Why.
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    If the PC version of Skullgirls ships with GFWL, they should be able to play against 360 players. If they release it on Steam, then there's the possibility of cross-platform play with PS3 users. I don't see how console versions = competitive play considering that the PC version should have access to a comparable pool of players online (if not more), and will probably be more stable for local play (shorter load times, fewer bugs due to hardware limitations, better patch/update infrastructure, etc). .
    It's WAY to much of a pain to get PC's to tourneys.
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
  • FluffyMFluffyM Poor so hard Joined: Posts: 660
    It's WAY to much of a pain to get PC's to tourneys.
    Yeah, that's why most of MLG is on consoles.
    *ms. fortune head*

Sent using my imagination
    KOFXIII: Kyo/Mr. Karate/Hwa Jai
    SF4: Adon, Cody
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/Parasoul
    Blazblue: Platinum, Taokaka
  • Jet Set DizzyJet Set Dizzy Night of the Defender Joined: Posts: 2,270
    Yeah, that's why most of MLG is on consoles.
    *ms. fortune head*

Sent using my imagination
    Doesn't MLG provide all that stuff? Joe Shmo tourney organizer can't afford that.
    "No, that's the extent of my knowledge. I just smash the keyboard with my elbows for a few hours a day and somehow this game happened."- Mike Z
    If the PC version of Skullgirls ships with GFWL, they should be able to play against 360 players. If they release it on Steam, then there's the possibility of cross-platform play with PS3 users. I don't see how console versions = competitive play considering that the PC version should have access to a comparable pool of players online (if not more), and will probably be more stable for local play (shorter load times, fewer bugs due to hardware limitations, better patch/update infrastructure, etc).

Also, personally, GGPO on PC seems vastly superior to its console iterations, which is the primary reason I want to purchase a PC release. Maybe others have different experiences? I just remember 3SO's netcode being a travesty even now, and I can't play friends in the west coast in Skullgirls, though I can in every non-GGPO console fighter, as well as GGPO on PC.
    Online != competitive play.

-KR|PromilKid

I prefer crossplataform with PS3 users, the player base is always bigger for fighting games.
    I prefer crossplatform with PS3 users because i'm afraid we lack of PC players and I don't want GFWL.
  • StitchpunkStitchpunk Run n' Jump Joined: Posts: 4
    It's been said multiple times already, but Skull Girls on Steam will produce many sales. And if a TF2 hat is involved, Mike and the gang will be rolling in money. There would absolutely be no lost, this is a fact.

But speaking on specific versions, I got the PS3 version mainly due to it having a "custom soundtrack" option, but I'm thinking of buying the 360 version to just to give RL more support. Yet I too, also have friends who will only get this game once it's on PC, but by the time the game rolls around on PC, it might as well have Squiggly and Umbrella along with the updates already included since they would most likely already be out on the consoles.
    Hey check this:

You can see "Autumn Games" and the only game that they have is Skullgirls, so maybe Origin?

Okay, I'm along with everyone who is saying "NO GFWL!"

But Origins...

I don't even know what to say, other than F*CK NO. NO. NO. NO. NO!

If it comes down to it, where Skull Girls is released on everything, Steam, Desura, and even Origins, then so be it, more power to RL.
    But my God... I would GLADLY take Gaming for Windows Live ANY DAY over Origin. Skull Girls is far too pure to get mixed up with EA. I'm now even motivated to try to reach out to Mike to ask what's what. I'm baffled.
  • ExpiratioExpiratio St. HP should be special-cancellable Joined: Posts: 317
    Gonna have to join the "Origin = No Buy" crowd. I'll buy the game from any digital store, but Origin. Though, as far as I know, being a partner is not an exclusivity deal.
    It will probably be on origin and steam. They'd be raking the money in all angles from PC, weeeee!
  • KingLordOfMasterKingLordOfMaster Boob appriciator Joined: Posts: 55
    Hey check this:

Oh God no.

That's about the only thing that would stop me from getting SG for PC.
    I am very much against Origin and all EA stands for on that regard.

As long as we can get an origin free version tho.
    Skullgirls: Valentine and Cerebella
    SSFIVAE: Hakan, Evil Ryu, Dudley
    UNS:Generations : Kakuzu, Zabuza
    MVC3: Ironman, Sentinel and SuperSkrull.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Got ripped in 2 weeks thanks to the Master Emerald Joined: Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to see SG available on all major digital distributors. Steam, Direct2Drive, GoG, Gamersgate, Desura, and even Origin. The higher availability the better.
    Yeah, Steamworks and available in other digital stores is the best option, You can see A LOT of people saying "Oh! I can activate this game on Steam? then I will buy it!" so yeah.

Also release the same demo from XBLA and PSN but I think you need to change Cerebella for other character, because a lot of casual people will play with keyboard at first and doing 360 with that can be a pain, I know someone who is a beast with Marvel vs Capcom 1 with keyboard but he never choose Zangief for that.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Got ripped in 2 weeks thanks to the Master Emerald Joined: Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also release the same demo from XBLA and PSN but I think you need to change Cerebella for other character, because a lot of casual people will play with keyboard at first and doing 360 with that can be a pain, I know someone who is a beast with Marvel vs Capcom 1 with keyboard but he never choose Zangief for that.

Cerebella only has one 360 move. I doubt that's going to be a problem
  • buzeriobuzerio Joined: Posts: 4

no, no dont change the buttons for PC
  • joe2187joe2187 Joined: Posts: 58
    Hey check this:

Not they ONLY game they have they also have this

jimmie-johnsons-anything-with-an-engine-2011-xbox-360-front-cover-8843.jpg

I wouldn't worry.

Its a problem for casual players who will play the demo, they will look at the movelist and they will try do the super with the keyboard.
    No, I dont saying that Cerebella's super command needs to be change, but in the demo I think Filia and Peacock are great for casual players.
    Its a problem for casual players who will play the demo, they will look at the movelist and they will try do the super with the keyboard.
    No, I dont saying that Cerebella's super command needs to be change, but in the demo I think Filia and Peacock are great for casual players.

That's too mundane a reason to remove a character from a demo. Besides, you don't even need to do the full motion for the move to work
  • VulpesVulpes No. Joined: Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭
    360s on keyboard are really easy in SF; I doubt they get any harder in SG with the jump protection + 7f(?) window per direction.
    Why.
    That's too mundane a reason to remove a character from a demo. Besides, you don't even need to do the full motion for the move to work

Well its not to remove, is changing her for Peacock, even if the move is easy to do with keyboard, Peacock is more "eye candy" for casual players, they will say "Hey its like old cartoons!"
    I want to see SG available on all major digital distributors. Steam, Direct2Drive, GoG, Gamersgate, Desura, and even Origin. The higher availability the better.

It's true, especially for Good Old Game, who is clearly better than steam (no DRM). Still, a only steam distribution can have some advantage, like cross platforming with ps3. I'm not sure it will be possible if skullgirl go out with the others boys.
    Well its not to remove, is changing her for Peacock, even if the move is easy to do with keyboard, Peacock is more "eye candy" for casual players, they will say "Hey its like old cartoons!"

Even more mundane. Peacock is the kind of character a causal will hate. It'll take a single garbage day and watch the causal salt flow. Cerebella is a better character to learn the game with.
  • King of penguinsKing of penguins Joined: Posts: 323
    How is it easier to bring consoles over pc at event? a game like skullgirls could run on most laptops. and got all the connections needed to have the dual screen on a projector and/or monitor.

I'm not a tourney going player so i'm not dissing tournament organisation, i genuinely am curious on how are console more practical than pc?
    PSN id : Leroidespinguins
    Skullgirls : Peacock/Cerebella
    Umvc3 team : Nova/Taskmaster/Deadpool
    BlazBlue : Lambda-11 (main); Tager (sub)
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • DarkArchvilleDarkArchville Anyone who opposes me will be destroyed. Joined: Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    360s on keyboard are really easy in SF; I doubt they get any harder in SG with the jump protection + 7f(?) window per direction.

Yeah, as long a fighting game supports easy inputs, it should be perfectly playable on a keyboard. I remember downloading SF EX 2 not too long ago so that I could play it on an emulator, and I was actually shocked that I could perform Guile's Double Flash Kick (DB, DF, DB, UF + kick !!!!) on a keyboard in my very first try.

I'm not a tourney going player so i'm not dissing tournament organisation, i genuinely am curious on how are console more practical than pc?

I think it's a matter of cost. Getting a bunch of PCs to run the game on it's highest and optimal setting is gonna burn a hole on the wallet.
    How is it easier to bring consoles over pc at event? a game like skullgirls could run on most laptops. and got all the connections needed to have the dual screen on a projector and/or monitor.

I think it's a matter of cost. Getting a bunch of PCs to run the game on it's highest and optimal setting is gonna burn a hole on the wallet.
    There's also the fact that most FGs are on console, meaning that you only need to bring 1 console to run every game. This is part of the reason TvC failed.

-KR|PromilKid

Five years old PC can probably run skullgirls on it's highest and optimal setting, and that is probably less expensive than a Xbox/ps3 + a TV HD. Anyway, there is a fuck ton of tourney on PC since doom (a lot more than on console actually), the main reason FG tourney don't use PC is because FG are traditionally a console centric genre.
    Also because its easier to plug in the Arcade Sticks in a console without problems, because if you have a dualized Arcade Stick maybe you arcade stick will not work in a PC.

But anyway, Skullgirls on PC is for the people who play in GGPO, Supercade, Mame Kaillera, etc, they need something new
    Some are even playing AE 2012 and are reduced to wait SfxT, they need help, it's a humanitarian tragedy.
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    SFxT preorder is $12 on Steam right now. At least in Russia. Which is actually cheaper then SG... O_o
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"
  • jinsaotomex3jinsaotomex3 It's tooth brushing time! Joined: Posts: 5,973
    SFxT preorder is $12 on Steam right now. At least in Russia. Which is actually cheaper then SG... o_O
    Waste of $12!
    Also, Skyrim is STILL in the top 10 top sellers list. How many fucking copies has that game sold on PC?! That game hasn't dropped from the top 10 stop since it was up for pre-order lol.
    Supreme Overlord and ruler of the Hentai realm.
    Brushy brushy brushy : http://pastebin.com/aPHTTgfc
    Brushing your little sister's teeth, Jin Saotome style.