Skullgirls PC Port

buzeriobuzerio Joined: Posts: 4
Skullgirls confirmed for a PC release later this year
Cross platform play with PS3 to be expected a few months after release

The game will be available from GameFly, GamersGate, GameStop PC Downloads, Origin and Steam.
·

Comments

• joe2187joe2187 Joined: Posts: 58
    Mike Z said on the Ultrachen show they are working on a PC Port, so yes the info is correct.
    ·
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 "Is it Mewtwo?"™ Joined: Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HELL YEAH! SKULLGIRLS ON STEAM! MORE HYPE!
    ·
  • Oil ROil R Joined: Posts: 307
    Yeah, Release the game on Steam with maybe Steamworks, Do a promo with Valve with TF2 hats so the sales will boost and dont add Games For Windows Live because nobody use that and its unfrlendly for the user.

Then your game will sell a lot, and fees for patches are cheaper on Steam, so you dont have to worry so much.

If you put it on Steam with Steamworks, I will pre order this TWICE.
    ·
  • DarkphyreDarkphyre single-minded Joined: Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike Z said on the Ultrachen show they are working on a PC Port, so yes the info is correct.

Anyone got a link to this? Don't remember it coming up during first attack/lv.3...
    Steam/PSN: Darkphyre
    XBL/GFWL: Shaniril
    SFxT: Juri, Asuka, Lili, Nina, Alisa
    BBCP: Izayoi, Bullet, MU-13
    www.youtube.com/Darkphyre
    ·
  • Sugar RushSugar Rush Joined: Posts: 3
    Anyone got a link to this? Don't remember it coming up during first attack/lv.3...

Here
    http://shoryuken.com/2012/04/10/skullgirls-will-be-patched-with-movelists-and-dlc-if-the-game-sells-well/
    ·
    Cmon Mike, I only want to hear "Yeah Summer 2012".
    ·
  • grechzoogrechzoo The Welsh Asian...? Joined: Posts: 247
    there will be a pc version. i would eat a hat if there wasn't. its not even going to come down to success, the game is ready for pc. (any xbox live game is EASY to port over, in fact in most cases i have seen, an xbox live game IS a pc game.)

RL say it was simply due to company size. i will happily believe that, as im sure im ignorant to many complications on top of simply having the game woking on pc in its rawest form.

but yeah, this is not a re-coding development process. this is the complications and niggles associated with a paltform as broad as the pc. and its why they are ignoring it for now. as they want to work on patches and dlc for the console version before diverting their small team elswhere.

*all speculation of course. apologies if i made it sound like, i knew this as fact :)*
    Skullgirls - a fighting game by gamers, for gamers. http://www.skullgirls.com
    Signature stolen from Jet Set Dizzy who stole it from Mike Z
    ·
    PC version can be the best version because:

You know why Mike Z and their team cant patch the movelist at the moment? because Sony and Microsoft fees for patches are too high, then they are triying to make a compilation of fixes in a single patch.

In Steam you dont have this problem, Dungeon Defenders developers left consoles because of this and they did a great success.

In Steam, if someone discovers a glitch or something they can patch it in less than a week, also having DLC characters hosting is cheap.

Not to mention that they removed Team Blockbusters because of the lack of power on consoles, also resolution cap.

Also if they add Steamworks or DRM Free will be the first official fighter with good online, not like Capcom fighters and their annoying Games for Windows Live.

So Mike, if you do a great job porting this to PC, I will support you in crowfunding if you need money for more DLC chars, Skullgirls 2 or another fighting title.
    ·
  • quartercirclebkquartercirclebk FOOT TIME! Joined: Posts: 99
    Skullgirls on Steam would result in me buying 1 or 2 4-packs and gifting copies to my friends, whether they asked for it or not. Especially if GGPO was maintained - is that possible?
    SSF4/3S/BB: Mak
    GG: A.B.A
    Marvel: Too many...
    Skullgirls: If you're not hype...you're wrong.
    ·
  • Sugar RushSugar Rush Joined: Posts: 3
    Is anyone considering the possibility of a release alongside the dlc for consoles as a bundled "ultimate" "supreme" or "goty" edition? I'd of course hate it too, but that seems like a better time to port, right? When there's a resurgence of interest/second wind type of thing?
    ·
    Also they had problems at launch on consoles, in Xbox 360 suffers long loading times and a bad streaming of files, in PS3 they did a good launch in North America but not in Europe where the game is not in the store yet because SCEE is too slow and thats bad for the sales

This game belongs to PC and I know this when I saw the ping numbers and not stupid colored bars.
    ·
  • ilovedawkinsilovedawkins Joined: Posts: 241
    Yeah please Steam PC port no GFWL(anything on that deserves a boycott) and a Vice a Versa hat for the Heavy. That will all be good.
    ·
    Yeah please Steam PC port no GFWL(anything on that deserves a boycott) and a Vice a Versa hat for the Heavy. That will all be good.

Yeah, TF2 players loves hats and if they do a promotion with Valve, with Cerebellas Hat, Fortunes ears and Valentines Cap that will boost the sales a lot.
    ·
    C'mon people! Demand SteamGirls!
    ·
  • adrua3dgadrua3dg Joined: Posts: 133
    Time to make an account on steam just to demand this game on the forums...
    ·
  • James LameJames Lame When's Melty? Joined: Posts: 87
    I've got a dozen friends who would get it if it's released on the PC. Including me which already bought it on the PS3.
    The interest is certainly here.
    ·
  • FluffyMFluffyM Poor so hard Joined: Posts: 679
    Yeah, TF2 players loves hats and if they do a promotion with Valve, with Cerebellas Hat, Fortunes ears and Valentines Cap that will boost the sales a lot.
    Actually hats and all that fucking shit ruined TF2, but let's not get into that. It would certainly boost sales.
    KOFXIII: Kyo/Mr. Karate/Leona
    SF4: Akuma, Adon
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/Parasoul
    Blazblue: Platinum, Taokaka
    ·
  • EllipsenEllipsen SFxTPC + AEPC Joined: Posts: 1,906
    Great that It is coming to PC but..

Can we get a release date?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ·
  • joe2187joe2187 Joined: Posts: 58
    Great that It is coming to PC but..

Can we get a release date?

Experience with requests for PC ports tend to require a couple months before some form of release date is announced, I'm not very computer savvy, but usually the patient PC gamer is well rewarded.

My belief is sometime after the first DLC character is released with the subsequent patch with whatever improvements included, otherwise Autumn games will have a whole other bunch of gamers begging them for bug fixes, and patches.
    ·
  • d3vd3v Slide Grab Gyakunitaku Kick Joined: Posts: 26,969 mod
    PC version can be the best version because:

You know why Mike Z and their team cant patch the movelist at the moment? because Sony and Microsoft fees for patches are too high, then they are triying to make a compilation of fixes in a single patch.

In Steam you dont have this problem, Dungeon Defenders developers left consoles because of this and they did a great success.

In Steam, if someone discovers a glitch or something they can patch it in less than a week, also having DLC characters hosting is cheap.

Not to mention that they removed Team Blockbusters because of the lack of power on consoles, also resolution cap.
    Outside of technical niggles, I don't expect the PC version to get any sort of balance patches that the console versions wont for the sake of keping everything tournament standard (which is to say, console).

Same with Team Blockbusters.
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
  • VulpesVulpes No. Joined: Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭
    ^ Aye.

SG could've been better if it was only released on PC, but .. FGs somehow are forced onto consoles o_O
    Why.
    ·
    ^ Aye.

SG could've been better if it was only released on PC, but .. FGs somehow are forced onto consoles o_O
    It's going to take alot before PCs become an accepted tournament standard.
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
    Experience with requests for PC ports tend to require a couple months before some form of release date is announced, I'm not very computer savvy, but usually the patient PC gamer is well rewarded.

My belief is sometime after the first DLC character is released with the subsequent patch with whatever improvements included, otherwise Autumn games will have a whole other bunch of gamers begging them for bug fixes, and patches.
    Yea, SFxT is coming May 11th,

I AM getting that 100%, and it was 3 months from platforms, so I am guessing 3 months or so from now for SG.
    ·
    I just want the ability to have the game play at crazy resolutions without any kind of slowdown.
    ·
    I just want the ability to have the game play at crazy resolutions without any kind of slowdown.

Heck YES.

I play mostly online and it should be the best performing all around online, same with SFxT.
    ·
    I dunno, at a certain point above the native resolution the game was drawn at, you're just wasting processing power for upscaling (and likely making it look worse).
    -Mike_Z

·
  • MattnumbersMattnumbers Joined: Posts: 21
    They should make 4 packs available, I would buy one and give my friends copies. And PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MIKE NO GFWL.
    ·
    I dunno, at a certain point above the native resolution the game was drawn at, you're just wasting processing power for upscaling (and likely making it look worse).

Then just the 3D backgrounds. Hell, I'm no exper but bottom line there are some ways the port can be way better on a powerful PC.
    ·
  • adrua3dgadrua3dg Joined: Posts: 133
    Wasnt the sprites 2500x1500 or something like that?
    ·
  • not so saintnot so saint The reports of my death are GREATLY exaggerated. Joined: Posts: 1,948
    This thread needs more keikaku.jpegs ^_____________^
    It will be done as it was foretold for we are servants of the Skully Ones and we will consume tuna with bacon and we will party for days and nights without rest and we no need other fate despite this one! For we are what we are and we will kneel before no one >=[
    "Russian science rise again!"
    ·
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Salty about Ultra Joined: Posts: 4,649 mod
    If it ends up being on Steam, I'll buy at least another copy. I'd most likely gift a few copies as well.

The Steam hats idea is brilliant.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
    ·
  • ExpiratioExpiratio St. HP should be special-cancellable Joined: Posts: 317
    So SFxT is available for pre-order on Steam. Will instead buy 3 copies of Skullgirls.
    ·
  • KrackatoaKrackatoa Ensaikyopedia Trolldanica. Joined: Posts: 2,122 ✭✭

Upscaling isn't really a thing they'd be doing. They'd go about it by redoing all the included textures in the game files at 1080p, which isn't impossible because most of their assets are 1440p and greater, from my understanding. Depends on how the engine is set up to handle higher-res assets, and how labour intensive it would be. Anyhow, what you end up with is a substantially higher VRAM draw simply because the assets are now over twice the filesize compared to their 720p counterparts.

Still. 1080p assets would look gorgeous. I'm playing on my pc monitor right now. I can safely say that the game would go beyond topping fighting games in terms of art. They'd blow current gen gaming out of the water as far as 2D graphics are concerned.
    Algonquin Competitive Gaming - Bringing Hyperbolic Time Chambers to the Masses
    ·
    Upscaling isn't really a thing they'd be doing. They'd go about it by redoing all the included textures in the game files at 1080p, which isn't impossible because most of their assets are 1440p and greater, from my understanding. Depends on how the engine is set up to handle higher-res assets, and how labour intensive it would be. Anyhow, what you end up with is a substantially higher VRAM draw simply because the assets are now over twice the filesize compared to their 720p counterparts.

Still. 1080p assets would look gorgeous. I'm playing on my pc monitor right now. I can safely say that the game would go beyond topping fighting games in terms of art. They'd blow current gen gaming out of the water as far as 2D graphics are concerned.
    But after a certain point, they'd still have to upscale the sprites and unless they're running some sort of fractal algorithm (actually, even if they are) you're only going to get diminishing returns until the sprites just don't look right.
    -Mike_Z

·
    But after a certain point, they'd still have to upscale the sprites and unless they're running some sort of fractal algorithm (actually, even if they are) you're only going to get diminishing returns until the sprites just don't look right.

I was going to assume that they'd just say "fuck it" and let the sprites look like ass if you wanted to play in 2550p
    ·
    Meh, I'm gonna run it at 720p because that's the resolution that it would probably run at if it had an arcade port.
    -Mike_Z

·
    Meh, I'm gonna run it at 720p because that's the resolution that it would probably run at if it had an arcade port.

I still play PC AE in a 720p window. -_-;
    ·
  • freeAMfreeAM Joined: Posts: 26
    I hope that game will be sold not only in steam store: gamersgate may be.
    ·
    I hope that game will be sold not only in steam: gamersgate may be.
    Why? Steam and Steamworks is awesome!
    -Mike_Z

·
  • freeAMfreeAM Joined: Posts: 26
    Russian Steam store doesn't work with paypal that's why=/
    So, I prefer to buy steam-games through gamersgate.
    ·
    Russian Steam store doesn't work with paypal that's why=/
    So, I prefer to buy steam-games through gamersgate.

Well nobody is saying "only on Steam", like you said a lot of steamworks games are sold in different digital stores, it depends of the publisher I guess.

So Ravidrath in Neogaf said that the first patch of the game and first DLC character will come almost at the same time, so maybe we can expect a PC version with all this things included.

Also PC can have a larger community because the publisher can control the deals, I mean Orcs Must Die! sold a lot on PC because the game on Steam had a lot of deals, thats why Orcs Must Die! 2 its a PC exclusive and will not have a Xbox 360 version this time.

Also remember that piracy is bad for the developers but not for the community, remember how the online scene started, with Mame Kaillera, in fact PC gamers need to play SFIII Third Strike in so form of piracy because Capcom did not give us a proper PC version, that was a lame move removing the game from GGPO and forcing PC players to buy a console version.
    ·
  • VulpesVulpes No. Joined: Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭
    that was a lame move removing the game from GGPO
    :shy:
    Why.
    ·
  • ExpiratioExpiratio St. HP should be special-cancellable Joined: Posts: 317

Thing is, I don't think Skullgirls uses sprites.
    ·
  • LeBeauFerdinandLeBeauFerdinand Joined: Posts: 32
    Also remember that piracy is bad for the developers but not for the community, remember how the online scene started, with Mame Kaillera, in fact PC gamers need to play SFIII Third Strike in so form of piracy because Capcom did not give us a proper PC version, that was a lame move removing the game from GGPO and forcing PC players to buy a console version.

The fact piracy is bad for the developers is really debatable. In general, but also especially for a game like skullgirls, for which the bigger problem is the lack of publicity. I mean, almost no pc gamer know about skullgirls (because it's a console exclusive game and PC centric site don't speak about them). If the hype machine don't start, we will be 3 to play it.
    ·
    Thing is, I don't think Skullgirls uses sprites.

I believe I read on Neogaf, Mike Z or other guy said that Skullgirls will be perfect for PC because the original characters are in 1080p or something like that.

Skullgirls its not made with sprites, sprites are King of the Fighters XIII or Vanguard Princess, this is like CG animation.
    ·
    I believe I read on Neogaf, Mike Z or other guy said that Skullgirls will be perfect for PC because the original characters are in 1080p or something like that.

Skullgirls its not made with sprites, sprites are King of the Fighters XIII or Vanguard Princess, this is like CG animation.
    They're sprites. What they are not is "pixel art."

In any case, they're still images with a set resolution.
    -Mike_Z

·
  • JampJamp Toxic Beauty Joined: Posts: 7,387 mod
    They're sprites. What they are not is "pixel art."

In any case, they're still images with a set resolution.
    Wasn't there something about them not being sprites so that made them react to background light effects or something like that?
    "Hey man if I lose to it, I'm pretty sure that makes it braindead." - AceKillah
    ·
    Wasn't there something about them not being sprites so that made them react to background light effects or something like that?
    We're arguing semantics here. The point is that they're still raster images and not vectors, meaning that you can't simply blow them up without sacrificing the quality.
    -Mike_Z

·
    I only found this video about what art they using in the game.

Also my predictions are:
    First DLC char for May
    Second for June.
    PC version with these 2 chars included for July.
    ·