Skullgirls Gameplay Discussion Thanks For Playing

Comments

• girlystylegirlystyle Only plays Fugazi Joined: Posts: 1,804
    I see what you are saying then. I guess maybe I am just lacking fundamentals. Makes sense.

you have improved greatly in other areas though.

like i said before, fundamentals are really really hard to 'learn', its the kind of something that you just realize one day.
    its the whole 'outside the box' compenent to FGs, where it becomes not about playing the game but playing the person.

Planning, recognizing patterns, learning to plan 'x' many moves ahead, baiting, and controlling distances/positions, learning how to take risks and what kind of risks to take and why/when.

its the same set of skills that make poker more then a card game and chess more then a board game.
    people only pay attention to me because of my vagina awesome penis
  • BrandXBrandX Spark for the future Joined: Posts: 677
    you have improved greatly in other areas though.

like i said before, fundamentals are really really hard to 'learn', its the kind of something that you just realize one day.
    its the whole 'outside the box' compenent to FGs, where it becomes not about playing the game but playing the person.

Planning, recognizing patterns, learning to plan 'x' many moves ahead, baiting, and controlling distances/positions, learning how to take risks and what kind of risks to take and why/when.

its the same set of skills that make poker more then a card game and chess more then a board game.

So, how do I gain these fundamentals? Does it come from pure experience?
    |||PSN: KingdomKeyGX|||
    Plays: Skullgirls
    Wants to help bring SkullGirls back!~ Uses a solo character: Fillia
    YouTube Channel: PhantomMinaX1

Experience is definetely one way to gain fundamentals.

Other ways is really taking moments to meditate on the components of fighting games.

For example, much like chess isn't about taking pieces, fighting games aren't about attacking. Both are about gaining and maintaining positioning.
    You aren't losing till your health reaches 0, until then, health is a type of currency which you may spend in order to achieve advantageous positioning.
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,936 ✭✭

Its a 2 fold process of experience (95%) and learning from watching or having people tell you things (5-10%)

The thing is that the 5 percent is huge...
    People generally tend to think that these things are so minute that they arent teachable... But as a REALLY shitty natural player... I can tell you this just isnt true... I have alot of knowledge that is hard won over the course of YEARS.

YEARS....

and its beacuse almost all of my knowledge is conscious, that i can impart it easily.

I wouldnt have been able to do this 5 years ago.

At the end of the day though since experience is so key, it doesnt matter what i tell you or anyone else does cause you still have to go out and experience it to overcome it or use it...but knowing "it" exists is a valuable leg up on learning.

So in a nutshell, no amount of teaching can substitute for experience... OF COURSE.

But teaching can give you things that would have taken much longer to get via experience alone.

So they are hand in hand. I do both and im a decent player now, because of it. I couldnt even imagine trying to learn a fighting game without both, nowadays.
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
    Well I can see much clearer now. Thanks guys.
  • VerstandeVerstande Joined: Posts: 324
    Well I can see much clearer now. Thanks guys.
    GET ON
  • The MartianThe Martian Does whatever a stoner can! Joined: Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp, usually my dynamic duo consists of Valentine and Painwheel. I'm looking to replace Painwheel though, and until Squigly gets released it's between Parasoul and Filia. Filia is a lot of fun. Her combos are great. But I think I I'm gonna go with Parasoul...she is just too damn fun.

I'm debating on whether or not I should just main a 3 person team with all of them, but I'd rather not lose the damage buffs and whatnot in comparison to a 2 man team.

What do you guys think? Does Parasoul have a steep learning curve?
    "Power is not will; it is the phenomenon of physically making things happen."

PSN: Shadaloo_Martian
    WiiU ID: IIMartianII

My Tumblr.
    3DS Code: 4957-4227-9462
    Welp, usually my dynamic duo consists of Valentine and Painwheel. I'm looking to replace Painwheel though, and until Squigly gets released it's between Parasoul and Filia. Filia is a lot of fun. Her combos are great. But I think I I'm gonna go with Parasoul...she is just too damn fun.

I'm debating on whether or not I should just main a 3 person team with all of them, but I'd rather not lose the damage buffs and whatnot in comparison to a 2 man team.

What do you guys think? Does Parasoul have a steep learning curve?

depends. she has some pretty tight links as opposed to some characters, so if you aren't used to using links in your combos you may have some problems.

Also its REALLY easy to over extend your self with her, so you need to have a really good presence of mind when playing her.
    She also has really strange mobility. She's a character that requires good mid ground/netural positioning.

She's the type of character that once she is hit, she's in trouble since she can be high/lowed out of her reversal all day.
    depends. she has some pretty tight links as opposed to some characters, so if you aren't used to using links in your combos you may have some problems.

Also its REALLY easy to over extend your self with her, so you need to have a really good presence of mind when playing her.
    She also has really strange mobility. She's a character that requires good mid ground/netural positioning.

She's the type of character that once she is hit, she's in trouble since she can be high/lowed out of her reversal all day.

I'm trying to find out how to use parasoul as well. She is a extremely weird feeling character, but I think she is fun.

Also when is the next time you are getting on dude? Sorry I haven't faced you, things either got in the way or I didn't get your messages lol
    I'm trying to find out how to use parasoul as well. She is a extremely weird feeling character, but I think she is fun.

Also when is the next time you are getting on dude? Sorry I haven't faced you, things either got in the way or I didn't get your messages lol
    I tried playing Parasoul and putting her as my third character but I just don't feel her. At all. Her mobility isn't enough for me, I like to go apeshit crazy and press buttons, she doesn't let me do that.
    I tried playing Parasoul and putting her as my third character but I just don't feel her. At all. Her mobility isn't enough for me, I like to go apeshit crazy and press buttons, she doesn't let me do that.

Oh ggs dude! Lol if I hadn't messed up in that 2nd to last match, that ft5 would of been mine lol
    Indeed. For the longest time I didn't even realize that she was a charge character.

My Tumblr.
    Paraoul has great mobility when you learn how to use her dash appropiately along with dash cancelling and how to utilize her jumping/super jumping/normals that change her mobility in the air.

She can chase down people pretty quick.

Parasouls thing is passive screen control. Between her jumping jab, tears drops, and projectiles, she has the unique ability to control screen space in a passive way so that you can plan out your approach.

I think she's easily the second best character in the game, but its really hard to use hr right.
  • SpaceOutNightmareSpaceOutNightmare Stays Sandbaggin' Joined: Posts: 2,336 ✭✭
    When you realize that pixies are not "magneto" and are a specific archetype. Saying that all pixies have easy times in is a misnomer.
    Umbc3 wolvie has a helluva hard time with hard keepaway.. So does ironfist, like most pixies... Pixies as a rule, destroy shit upclose... Hence if they were "auto in" they would be completely broken.

Mags has has a moveset that isnt typical pixie... Primarily him having a projectile which means hes a hybrid.

Anywho yeah, though im sure you will disagree... Just because you "can" disagree.
    It is generally the whole point of pixies to be able to move around wherever they want, how ever they want, but it sacrifices damage and health.

Just because Cammy hits like a truck doesn't mean she's not a pixie.

Also, considering Magneto was the FIRST PIXIE, his first iteration would laugh at his current one.

Just because Filia has to worry about a few things in certain matchups doesn't mean getting in is her main worry.

Also, Ironfist is a poor example of a Pixie because a pixie has high mobility, and he has zero air mobility.

A better example of a pixie, the best example of a pixie would be Zero, Jill too, spider man.

What I'm trying to say is more pixies fit the bill of "easy to get in" than don't, it's part of the archtype.
    Thinking about redoing BOB tournament for the patch, anyone game?
    It is generally the whole point of pixies to be able to move around wherever they want, how ever they want, but it sacrifices damage and health.

Just because Cammy hits like a truck doesn't mean she's not a pixie.

Also, considering Magneto was the FIRST PIXIE, his first iteration would laugh at his current one.

Just because Filia has to worry about a few things in certain matchups doesn't mean getting in is her main worry.

Also, Ironfist is a poor example of a Pixie because a pixie has high mobility, and he has zero air mobility.

A better example of a pixie, the best example of a pixie would be Zero, Jill too, spider man.

What I'm trying to say is more pixies fit the bill of "easy to get in" than don't, it's part of the archtype.

Simply put, you domt know what the classic definition of a pixie is. Almost every character youve listed is a hybrid. Pixies as a rule do not have projectiles.

I already gave you the most classic example of a pixie that there is... And it isnt magneto.

Its wolverine.

Pixies have no option EXCEPT TO RUSH. Magneto can hang back and disruptah. Spidey can annoy with weballs... Etc etc.

This pixie you are talking about is a hybrid of many characters... A rushdown character that can also play keepaway.

Another example of pixies is grapplers made alot fucking faster, with no command grabs...
    Cracked out zangief with no form of spd is a quintessential pixie.

Though you seem to define pixie as "rushdown character" that isnt what defines pixies, its simply what they do. Having mucho mobility either aerial or ground based isnt a defining part of the archetype, its simply what they commonly have, they can one or the other but dont need both. The definition is that they have atleast one. Ironfist has 1 and doesnt have a fireball and therefor is a quintessential pixie.

Flying mvc2 sent is a quintessential pixie... Grounded sent is not.

Etc etc
    -Dime_x
    Marvel 1 Spider man has a projectile.

So does Strider.

Your argument is invalid.

MSH Magneto has a projectile.
    Flat statements make you right.

Also, why stop at msh? Cota mags has all his projectiles...

Wolverine doesnt.

Dont be mad at me cause peope that you have associated with use the term interchangeably with hybrids, which are what mags, strider,spidey and the rest of the lot are.

Cammy is the only pixie that youve gotten right.

Though i guess to be fair, the term has grown. But... Naw fuck that i was there when the term was invented. It downt mean fireball characters or rushdown characters.
    -Dime_x
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,686
    Arguing with Dime isn't worth it, Space. Just forget it.

Iron Fist as an example of a pixie should be all you need to see, lol.
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
    first pixie is chun li :cool:

dat wall jump.
    I decided to just look it up. It seems that i am both right and wrong and space is both right and wrong.

Though the earliest definition i could find is 2003... Which is like 2 years after i decided i didnt like marvel... And the guy defines pixie as a "small fast low health character from marvel versus capcom 2 such as spidey, wolverine, strider etc..." (Paraphrased)

But thats alredy showing how bad he is as he seems to think pixies only exist in mvc2 and not cota/msh/xvsf/ whatever.

And sonic hurricanes definition more encompasses mine "small low health character that generally has excellent mixups and lacks range"

So meh, no one is right or wrong, we can all go on about our business.
    -Dime_x
  • VulpesVulpes No. Joined: Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭
    Pls don't get your panties in a bunch over smth as worthless as this
    FGC terms generally mean everything and nothing, with nobody having a clearcut definition.
    Anime fighter, Shoto, wakeup game, zoning, footsies, etc etc ask 10 people what they mean and you get 15 answers
    I know pixie as just another term for rushdown chars (fragile but highly mobile closerange fighters).

Whatever guys. Dance, dance, dance.
    Why.
    FGC terms generally mean everything and nothing, with nobody having a clearcut definition.
    Anime fighter, Shoto, wakeup game, zoning, footsies, etc etc ask 10 people what they mean and you get 15 answers
    I know pixie as just another term for rushdown chars (fragile but highly mobile closerange fighters).

FOOTSIE?!

your supposed to play with your hands :china:
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more scrub question:

Easiest character in the game? In terms of being easy to use and easy to win with.

Go!
    STOMP!
  • OsmiumsmithOsmiumsmith Joined: Posts: 340
    This worries me:

I know that it has been said time and time again that there are ways of dealing with Double/Peacock. But the problem is that the skill level required to counter is higher than the skill to use that tactic. Considering that even top players have problems with it, this may leave the casuals (like me) with the options of getting owned or just picking the team also, creating a potentail scenario of horror where everybody leaves or play that pair not unlikely the Ken brigades of SFIII.
  • Mr PeckerstonMr Peckerston Joined: Posts: 44
    I've played against plenty of bad Peacock/Double players, and Ciscokid isn't one of them. You don't have to worry about casuals playing the team like that.
    PSN: MrMemberston, XBL: Mr Peckerston 2
    I've played against plenty of bad Peacock/Double players, and Ciscokid isn't one of them. You don't have to worry about casuals playing the team like that.

Maybe. Problem is that I am a casual too, very casual. And I may have problems even with inferior copies of that tactic.

Still, how many Peacock/Doubles are out there? If there is a lot, that signs trouble.
    In my experience, Peacock is one of the less popular characters online. The majority of Peacock players I run into either use her as a solo, as part of a team of 3, or paired with someone other than Double.

Regardless, I actually wish more people used that team because I find it fun to play against! If I was in the US I'd join Ciscokid's PSN rooms at every opportunity I got :)
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,686
    Snap in the Double and kill it. I believe this was the most effective way of dealing with Peacock/Double pre-patch, back when M/H Bomber was retarded. Or, you can just work point Peacock to the corner, put her in a position where the player will mash out the Double assist, then double snap and kill Double.

Just know that Peacock/Double now is not nearly as bad as it was before.
    One more scrub question:

Easiest character in the game? In terms of being easy to use and easy to win with.

Go!

Dude, just start out with Bella. She is like a Alex/Potemkin hybrid with better mobility, imo; I know you love Alex.
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
    But the problem is that the skill level required to counter is higher than the skill to use that tactic.
    Is it?

Double/Cock with H.Bomber is pretty much the only team combination without a viable reversal. Against shitty Peacocks all you have to do is Pushblock the first 5 projectiles and watch out for the Teleport afterwards - she'll be sitting in the corner, and blocking in this game with a low mobility character that has very few defensive options is hard.

P.S. Most Peadouble players (Cisko included, unless he worked on that) have no idea how to play Double at all, so one touch into Snapback can already win the game.
    Considering that even top players have problems with it
    Yeah, when a top player (and possibly the best Peacock playing this game period) employs it against them, they have problems. That doesn't sound too bad!? I doubt Mike has any problems beating flowchart Peacocks.
    Why.
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, just start out with Bella. She is like a Alex/Potemkin hybrid with better mobility, imo; I know you love Alex.

I tried Bella back when the game first came out and it is so hard to win with her. Grapplers are hard to use in Marvel-styled fighters.
    STOMP!
    I tried Bella back when the game first came out and it is so hard to win with her. Grapplers are hard to use in Marvel-styled fighters.

Bella is good on team. There are lots of combinations so that you can combo into her via DHC so that your point character does the leg work, and then Bella comes in with ideal positioning to do one or two mixups to kill a character.

Alternatively, you can have her on the front and try to score big free damage early and safe DHC out with a character like Parasoul or Double if that doesn't work and let her heal.

As for easiest characters, Peacock at low level, then Double at mid level, then probably Filia at high level play.
    Maybe. Problem is that I am a casual too, very casual. And I may have problems even with inferior copies of that tactic.

Still, how many Peacock/Doubles are out there? If there is a lot, that signs trouble.

Ciscokid is literally the only GOOD doulecock still around. he is an excellent player and knows how to make the most of the team. There are a few others I run into online, but none are very good (I haven't played mcpeanuts or scrubsaibot since EVO, so I don't know if they still use the team but they were pretty good as well)
  • Master ChibiMaster Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 14,934 mod
    Dude if you have more patience then the Peacock player you already won. Parasoul bike assist does wonders to help too.

Also that match looks like a whole mess of online tactics and slight lag. Cisco is good though.
    Bella is good on team. There are lots of combinations so that you can combo into her via DHC so that your point character does the leg work, and then Bella comes in with ideal positioning to do one or two mixups to kill a character.

Alternatively, you can have her on the front and try to score big free damage early and safe DHC out with a character like Parasoul or Double if that doesn't work and let her heal.

As for easiest characters, Peacock at low level, then Double at mid level, then probably Filia at high level play.
    That all sounds right to me! Louiscipher, here's a recent match video of Cerebella if you want a rough idea of how she plays these days (she gets a great start in round 2, starting at 2:20):

She also has loads of strong assists: Cerecopter for lockdown, HP Lock n Load for dumb armored rushdown, Excellabella for anti-air and for ridiculous resets and mixups, or her other command grabs for even more mixups and pressure.

I agree with that list of easiest characters too, but it's worth mentioning that all the characters have completely reasonable execution requirements. I certainly don't think any of them would be too hard for someone who already knows how to play fighting games.

Edit: Actually, Parasoul seems to have some awkward links in her combos. I see people dropping them a lot online, anyway. But aside from her, my point still stands.
  • SkullGirlsAnonymousSkullGirlsAnonymous Joined: Posts: 4
    Hey guys.

Hoping to find out where to get some help with my characters. I like Valentine, Pain Wheel and Parasoul but I can't seem to do very well with any of them.

I've played a lot of Smash Bros before and a fair bit of Street Fighter and MvC. Where should I start looking for strategies if I want to get better?
    Character subforums aren't mega active, but you should still be able to find something.
    Asking specific questions here ain't hurting either ("I can't do well" doesn't tell too much)

Also SRK is going down for a week at some point, so you might want to ask in http://skullheart.com/forum/index.php, where we'll apparently migrate to in the meantime

Parasoul is the hardest char to learn imo and the other two don't really go together, so maybe you're just running an iffy team :b
    Why.
    The biggest problem I feel I have is that I'm just not aggressive enough. I'm used to playing defensive characters but this game feels pretty offense oriented.

Also I usually just look at videos on YouTube but there isn't much stuff out for this yet. I'll go to the place you linked with specific questions I just feel like my overall play style is bad at the moment. Only had this game 4 days but it's friggin awesome!

Lol Zidiane makes Bella look like an easy character to win with. At the end of the day it depends how deep enough you know your own character(s) and how to properly use them, something that I definitely lack.
  • Tomo009Tomo009 Joined: Posts: 2,215
    I see what you are saying then. I guess maybe I am just lacking fundamentals. Makes sense.

SkullGirls is the 4-5th fighting game I've tried to take seriously, and I feel that I won't be leaving it anytime soon. I'm guessing that, maybe those other fighters didn't work out cause in general retrospect, I am lacking the fundamentals to try and progress my skill.
    It's not the amount of games you've played. It's the experience you've had.

Thing is, fundamentals do stretch across games, but each game has their own feel and set of fundamentals anyway so you can't just assume you will be good at any game because of skills in one game.
    It's not the amount of games you've played. It's the experience you've had.

Thing is, fundamentals do stretch across games, but each game has their own feel and set of fundamentals anyway so you can't just assume you will be good at any game because of skills in one game.

I concur cause im terrible at tekken and marvel, but decent at skullgirls, oldschool soulcalibur and streetfighter.

Actually really liking a game helps alot... But what comes first? Liking a game or being good at it making a person like it?

Fundamental "knowledge" is the primary thing imho that transfers from game to game.

We experienced players know that we need to learn combos and that we need to be able to make things wiff... As an easy example.

Anywho, good stuff, spot on.

And get online sometime today so we can play... Im off to work in 2 days :(
    -Dime_x
  • Tomo009Tomo009 Joined: Posts: 2,215
    Hey guys.

Hoping to find out where to get some help with my characters. I like Valentine, Pain Wheel and Parasoul but I can't seem to do very well with any of them.

I've played a lot of Smash Bros before and a fair bit of Street Fighter and MvC. Where should I start looking for strategies if I want to get better?
    Those are probably 3 of the most difficult characters to get used to at first.

Parsoul has strange mobility and a fair few (easy, but required) links in her combos.

Painwheel is unintuitive in the neutral game because you can't just fly and expect to get in all the time, you have to use the mobility she has to bait or make an opening, but once you land a hit as Painwheel, she is the easiest character to play in my opinion, it basically turns into a one player game.

Valentine has a very easy time in the neutral game, but I find her combo potential to be the most difficult to reach, with the exception of perhaps only Ms Fortune.

Of these characters, Parasoul is the only defensive one really, Painwheel and Valentine have no options in that regard. Well, I would actually describe Painwheel's neutral as aggressive defense, because the idea isn't to rush down until you land a hit, it is to force a mistake from your opponent.

If you want to play a defensive team, I would suggest along the lines of Parasoul/invincible assist or even Peacock/Parasoul if you wanted that. Peacock is mostly a zoning character though and I don't know what your thoughts on that are.

Thing about Painwheel and Valentine, is that they sort of fill the same role in team creation I think, both are basically point characters that reach their potential with assists and become absolutely dominating powerhouses. Though in slightly different ways, Valentine commands the neutral game and is simply the best character in the game at abusing assists in general. Painwheel gains some freedom with assists (particularly invincible assists and Peacock's HP item drop that allow her to fly a lot more) making it MUCH MUCH easier to land that all important hit, at which point she dominates anyone.
  • palipali PSN:Heavyjugz Joined: Posts: 976
    @Osmiumsmith

If you're very casual should you really even care about losing? and if it's inferior versions of Ciscos team would that mean pretty much every character gives you the same trouble anyway Lol?

It seems like every damn video of good gameplay Mike puts out someone has to find something to complain about. Cisco is like probably the best peacock i've played and its not cause of his character that hes winning because peacock imo sucks he just knows the character that well.

People also use "Casual Player" as a cover up for just saying you are bad. I'm a casual player myself whenever i'm on psn i'm never online training in anything, idk frames or anything of the sort.
    Of course I pick up the hard characters. They're so well designed though imo.

It's good to hear people who are bad at Tekken and Marvel are still able to be good at this because I'm not too good at either.

Parasoul has such strange mobility I just can't get it right. I think I'm more like a Smash Bros player because I'm struggling to do combos consistently.

I'm having a lot of fun with Painwheel but as soon as I verse human players I get wiped. I think you're right that she fills the same role in my team as Valentine. I like Valentine more so maybe I'll drop Painwheel for a while and focus on getting good with the combos.

Also: Justice Rock. DISCO. DIS-CO DISCO. Having a bit of trouble posting because the forums appears really busy.
    Thanks for the tips fellows. Less panicky now.

In another note, the sugestions thread is really dead, isn't it?
  • dhockedhocke Joined: Posts: 115
    Hey guys, new player here with a question about the IPS. I'm practicing this combo with Valentine that goes c.lp, c.mp,c.hp, j.lp. j.mp (1-2 hits), j.hp xx dash xx j.mp (3) \/ s.lp, s.mp (all hits), s.hk, s.hk, s.hk xx qcb lp/mp/hp. However if I do the same combo but start it with a throw the IPS kicks in after the 2nd j.mp after the airdash. Why is this?
    my fucking god my eyes
  • worldjem7worldjem7 Seven World Jems Joined: Posts: 544
    dhocke said:

Hey guys, new player here with a question about the IPS. I'm practicing this combo with Valentine that goes c.lp, c.mp,c.hp, j.lp. j.mp (1-2 hits), j.hp xx dash xx j.mp (3) \/ s.lp, s.mp (all hits), s.hk, s.hk, s.hk xx qcb lp/mp/hp. However if I do the same combo but start it with a throw the IPS kicks in after the 2nd j.mp after the airdash. Why is this?

If you notice in training mode there is a "Combo Stage" number.
    first jump in = stage 1
    first ground chain = stage 2
    first air chain/second ground chain = stage 3
    Opponent landed before you from air chain = stage 4
    everything afterwards = stage 5

In stage 1 and 2 it doesn't keep track of IPS so you can do anything you want.
    Stage 3 tracks your moves but doesn't enforce it.
    Stage 4 and 5 are when IPS will kick in if you used a move you used in stage 3 or 4.

When you throw someone, the combo stage automatically goes to stage 3, so you have to be more careful with what moves you use in the combo.
    edited February 2013

One more scrub question:

Go!

You should try Filia. A lot call her the "Ryu" of this game. Her combos are really fun too.

Also what's the Skullgirls IRC guys?
    Post edited by The Martian on

My Tumblr.
  • dhockedhocke Joined: Posts: 115
    Thank you worldgem. Its tough switching to this game from Street Fighter. Any recommendations for a team here? I was thinking Valentine on point with Cerebella in the back. I see a lot of Valentine/Parasoul but I really hate charge characters.