Skullgirls Gameplay Discussion Thanks For Playing

Comments

• AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 492 ✭✭
    dhocke said:

Thank you worldgem. Its tough switching to this game from Street Fighter. Any recommendations for a team here? I was thinking Valentine on point with Cerebella in the back. I see a lot of Valentine/Parasoul but I really hate charge characters.

Val/Bella(w/ cerecopter assist) sounds good

It's nice to meet you, too.
  • Fatal_PokeFatal_Poke Xbox: Knives the Wolf Joined: Posts: 83
    This new forum will take some time getting used to.
  • AerodynOmyxAerodynOmyx PSN: nch2112 I'm insane and I like to laugh. Joined: Posts: 535 ✭✭✭
    Being new to this game stinks. I'll change my buttons for one combo but change it again for a new one. I'm just gonna keep combos simple and learn the game first.
    Lemme Google myself in yo office!
  • dhockedhocke Joined: Posts: 115
    Yeah I'm doing the same thing. I jumped in and immediately tried to start doing fancy airdash combos and what not, but the only fighting game that I've actually played seriously has been SSFIV so a lot of these things are completely foreign to me. Decided to just take it slow, get some simple stuff down, and maybe go online with it soon.
  • AerodynOmyxAerodynOmyx PSN: nch2112 I'm insane and I like to laugh. Joined: Posts: 535 ✭✭✭
    I love Ms Fortune and Peacock. Not sure who to try for a third character.
  • dhockedhocke Joined: Posts: 115
    If you're completely new to this type of game like me we should gets some games in one day. I'm so afraid to go online and just get wrecked. I figure anyone that's playing this game online must be a god. I'm on psn as well, same name as on here.
    I've played a lot of traditional fighting games but it's been a while. I'll be playing this for a while but Playstation All Stars DLC comes out tomorrow so...PSN: nch2112
  • AsteriskBlueAsteriskBlue Joined: Posts: 492 ✭✭
    This is probably very obvious but...
    Add Updo, Napalm Pillar to your team if your new. You will feel better. These assists have a lot of invincibility and will help to get you some elbow room between you and your opponent. Spam these.

Hornet Bomber(light or medium only) or (light)Fiber Upper can be used as well
    It's nice to meet you, too.
  • Combo_KnightCombo_Knight DashUppah, Muhfuqqah! Joined: Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goddamn double is some shit now. I like her less and less the more I play.
    Shoutouts to Hollywood SRK
    ---
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,723 mod
    Really? I still find she does a LOT of damage, that her barrel loop still works to a degree, and that the swag wagon is REALLY nice now that it's a 50/50 guessing game.

Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• konkretekonkrete NCV Joined: Posts: 2,376
    Not even that much of a mixup, just block the side you are closest too first. What makes double a real pain is anchor double with tons of meter.
  • TheGamingToolTheGamingTool Joined: Posts: 43
    Cerebella is a good Anti-Air if you know how to use her. I prefer her to be used as a launcher when leading up for an attack. I can't explain how to use her launcher but to lead it up with a low projectile.
    (Sorry for my bad explaining)
    edited February 2013
    Really? I still find she does a LOT of damage, that her barrel loop still works to a degree, and that the swag wagon is REALLY nice now that it's a 50/50 guessing game.

I mean that's cool I guess. I just must be out dated.

I dunno shit has been biting me in the ass lately, I guess that prepatch mentaility has been holding me back. I mean the damage is okay, I don't mind It's the same amount I'd put out before. it's like every bad situation has been amplified since the world around me improved with the patch( Which i shouldn't hide behind as an excuse) but it's like certain situations I could hang and deal with solo that I just can no longer do. I mean I guess I shouldn't complain too much because I could have had a double that gained NO meter on cathead.
    Post edited by Combo_Knight on
    ---
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,936 ✭✭
    Shes still good, just not "as" beaindead anymore.

Personally the nerf that pisses me off the most is the hitstun nerf on j.hp... That really pisses me off.

The nerf to her dash invincibility is also something that pisses me off, also i thought the 2 nerfs on her lvl 3 were unwarranted... It should have been 1 or the other not 2 separate nerfs.

But the catheads meter nerf and the hk bomber nerf were definitely needed... Both seem to be perfect to me now as far as balance is concerned.

But man, the j.hp and dash nerf were going way overboard imho... Especially when there are plenty of other characters with just as much hitstun or more on some jumpjng attacks...

But i digress, shes still really good as an anchor or support, though i definitely think her ability to play solo got shafted.
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
    Dime_x wrote: »
    Shes still good, just not "as" beaindead anymore.

Personally the nerf that pisses me off the most is the hitstun nerf on j.hp... That really pisses me off.

The nerf to her dash invincibility is also something that pisses me off, also i thought the 2 nerfs on her lvl 3 were unwarranted... It should have been 1 or the other not 2 separate nerfs.

But the catheads meter nerf and the hk bomber nerf were definitely needed... Both seem to be perfect to me now as far as balance is concerned.

But man, the j.hp and dash nerf were going way overboard imho... Especially when there are plenty of other characters with just as much hitstun or more on some jumpjng attacks...

But i digress, shes still really good as an anchor or support, though i definitely think her ability to play solo got shafted.

Dunno if it happened as much during the patch but now when I dash past someone I end up still taking the damage from full screen away? I remember being able to dash out of some trouble before that i just get borked with now (but again I may be trippin')

the hit stun was a killer too.
    ---
  • KrackatoaKrackatoa Ensaikyopedia Trolldanica. Joined: Posts: 2,084
    konkrete wrote: »
    Not even that much of a mixup, just block the side you are closest too first. What makes double a real pain is anchor double with tons of meter.
    Now that I'm running Painwheel/Valentine/Double, I can make good use out of the Scalpel DHC Bionic Car crossup shenanigans, IIRC. You can't just block one and the other in that situation. Unsafe as all hell, but still pretty sweet.
    Algonquin Competitive Gaming - Bringing Hyperbolic Time Chambers to the Masses
  • DudeDude Joined: Posts: 199 ✭✭
    Are you guys sure about Bionic Car being a 50/50? I can't test it because I'm on Xbox, but I thought I heard someone say there is a "dust cloud" that tells you which way the car is coming from.
  • Age_of_FoolsAge_of_Fools Joined: Posts: 705
    You can definately block it on reaction by looking at the dust cloud during the super-freeze. You do have to be alert though.
    Beginner's Guide to Cerebella
    Cerebella mixup video
    XBL: Age of Fools [Cerebella/Double/Parasoul/Painwheel]
    "i mean look the length of your post…" -Dime X
  • evilweevleevilweevle Xbox GT : MrFossy Joined: Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭
    You can definately block it on reaction by looking at the dust cloud during the super-freeze. You do have to be alert though.

thats good to know. i did always enjoy just using diamond dynamo and just laughing as the car passes right through you. now i know i can do it no matter which direction they choose to do it.

3DS friend code : 0232 8273 2994
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher The man you love to hate Joined: Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dumb question: Are the magic combos relatively easy to do in the patched version? Would you describe it as MVC2 or MVC3 in terms of lenience?
    STOMP!
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,723 mod
    edited February 2013
    Dumb question: Are the magic combos relatively easy to do in the patched version? Would you describe it as MVC2 or MVC3 in terms of lenience?
    Eh, I'd say it's more like MvC2 in that there's no universal launcher. Each character's launcher is different. You don't just press S and launch. For some it's cr.HP, for some it's st.HK (and some are different from that). Same with chains.

Harder than MvC3 (in the sense that child with safety-helmet level intellect can do a magic series combo in MvC3), but just a tad bit easier than MvC2 (which I personally don't find difficult).
    Post edited by DaRabidDuckie on
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• BlakenBlaken Joined: Posts: 486
    I just got destroyed by MyLifeIsAnRpg and it was awesome.
    I just had no clue what happened.
    Today was a good day :D
    Eh, I'd say it's more like MvC2 in that there's no universal launcher. Each character's launcher is different. You don't just press S and launch. For some it's cr.HP, for some it's st.HK (and some are different from that). Same with chains.

Harder than MvC3 (in the sense that child with safety-helmet level intellect can do a magic series combo in MvC3), but just a tad bit easier than MvC2 (which I personally don't find difficult).

I know there's no universal launcher in place but I'm curious as to how easy the magic combos are done. Oldschool VS game magic combos are pretty difficult to do, even basic ones.

STOMP!
  • CrownAxeCrownAxe Joined: Posts: 43

I know there's no universal launcher in place but I'm curious as to how easy the magic combos are done. Oldschool VS game magic combos are pretty difficult to do, even basic ones.

the only hard part about magic series is that the air version has to be timed properly for all the attacks to hit. Because the magic series all chain into each other you can just mash it in order and the game combos it all for you.
    Okay good. I was looking at the patch notes and it looks like hitstun had been increased during Magic Combos. Not going to lie, but I'm ass at the old Marvel games.
    STOMP!
    Okay good. I was looking at the patch notes and it looks like hitstun had been increased during Magic Combos. Not going to lie, but I'm ass at the old Marvel games.

That shouldnt matter to much... You being "ass" i mean.

This game has more streetfighter in it than marvel. Everything in marvel is of epic proportions... Stupid high super jumps/captain corridor/dante assist hitting top of screen...

In skullgirls super jumps are nowhere near that and the captain corridor style move doesnt reach top of screen... Basically meaning that the game is a little slower than marvel games and there is a little less break neck differences in spacing going on. Positioning means more than just guessing your opponents pattern than it does in marvel.

I like to think of akullgirls as that perfect game that sits right between marvel and streetfighter in terms of gameplay and craziness. Its got the marvel crazy, but its also got the streetfighter style spacing, albeit in a different way.

-Dime_x
  • KrackatoaKrackatoa Ensaikyopedia Trolldanica. Joined: Posts: 2,084

The input buffer was increased, IIRC, not hitstun.
    Algonquin Competitive Gaming - Bringing Hyperbolic Time Chambers to the Masses
  • ZidianeZidiane HyperCharging YOLO STAR Joined: Posts: 1,222
    edited February 2013
    Hey guys. I'm maining Cerebella and Peacock at the moment, and worldjem asked me about their matchup. The Cerebella Versus Peacock Matchup. This is all not taking into account any assists (until the last paragraph).

The matchup is in Bella's favor, I think, but I've never been able to fight a Cerebella with Peacock or a Peacock with Cerebella that knew all this, so I'm not really sure anymore. I'll talk about it, and then you can decide.

Peacock:
    Spoiler:

Cerebella:
    Spoiler:

The reason why Doublecock is so difficult for Solo Cerebella is you take all the advantages Peacock had, take away all of the safe approaches Cerebella has, take away her glide (because hb hits as high as Cerebella can glide), and every time she gets hit/blocks HB she gets taken back to the edge of the screen (especially if Peacock backdashes). Titan Knuckle is Cerebella's only real chance when fighting Doublecock (if she wants to win more of the matches than she loses), because hitting Double with it puts HB out of commission for enough time for you to push Peacock back a few steps (this is something I still need to test out). You need to be willing to take risks in this specific matchup, and you need to know that as long as she can't get behind you (assuming you keep pushing forward), Peacock will never win the fight (also assuming both players are equally skilled).

Also, make sure to check out Skullheart.
    Post edited by Zidiane on
    xbl/psn: Zidiane/zidiane5
    Skullgirls: Cerebella, SSB Melee: Kirby, Samus
    Ever wonder how to play Cerebella, of Skullgirls fame? Here's a guide I made!
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    Yo, the demo on PSN is the patch version
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
    edited February 2013
    I no longer have a PS3. Waiting for PC release. 
    Post edited by Louiscipher on
    STOMP!
  • OutlawSkullmanOutlawSkullman Joined: Posts: 18
    edited January 29
    Sorry for wasting your time.
    Post edited by OutlawSkullman on
    PSN ID: OutlawStar26ep Currently playing: Vanguard Princess, Blazblue, Vampire Savior and Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper
    Please check out Vanguard Princess it's an awesome assist based fighter. You can download the free version with MTSP(netplay) at the Mizuumi Wiki.
  • ukyo_rulzukyo_rulz Joined: Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭
    Just finished a session and I gotta say things are looking up. Played for hours on Quick Match and the longest I had to wait for an opponent was 30 seconds! ^_^
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype." - Mike Z
    ukyo_rulz said:
    Just finished a session and I gotta say things are looking up. Played for hours on Quick Match and the longest I had to wait for an opponent was 30 seconds! ^_^

ukyo_rulz said:

Whats your average ping and where do you live? Im jealous btw. None of them will accept my 190 ping times :(
    -Dime_x
  • UrichinanUrichinan Dismember Joined: Posts: 347

You guys like? The Ms. Fortune part is the best I could come up with, and the ender isn't the optimized version for a Ms. Fortune kill, but rather more hard tags.
    BB: Litchi/Valkenhayn/Relius - GG: I-No/Axl/Venom - P4U: Shadow Labrys/Mitsuru/Yukiko - SCV: Ivy/Tira/Viola - TTT2 - Anna/Michelle/Sebastian - MK9: Sindel/Sheeva/Cyrax - SFxT: Julia/Vega/Poison - UMvC3: Ghost Rider/Trish/Arthur - MvC2: Ruby Heart/Tron Bonne/Doctor Doom - DS3: Q-bee/Aulbath/Morrigan - SF4v.2012: Rose/C. Viper/Ibuki - KoF13: Mai/Elizabeth/Mature - SG: Painwheel/Cerebella/Parasoul - AH3: Nazuna/Dorothy/Konoha - MBAACC: H-Kohaku & Mech Hisui/F-Archetype: Earth/???
  • Dragonage2ftwDragonage2ftw Joined: Posts: 150
    Zidiane wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm maining Cerebella and Peacock at the moment, and worldjem asked me about their matchup. The Cerebella Versus Peacock Matchup. This is all not taking into account any assists (until the last paragraph).

The matchup is in Bella's favor, I think, but I've never been able to fight a Cerebella with Peacock or a Peacock with Cerebella that knew all this, so I'm not really sure anymore. I'll talk about it, and then you can decide.

Peacock:
    Spoiler:

Cerebella:
    Spoiler:

The reason why Doublecock is so difficult for Solo Cerebella is you take all the advantages Peacock had, take away all of the safe approaches Cerebella has, take away her glide (because hb hits as high as Cerebella can glide), and every time she gets hit/blocks HB she gets taken back to the edge of the screen (especially if Peacock backdashes). Titan Knuckle is Cerebella's only real chance when fighting Doublecock (if she wants to win more of the matches than she loses), because hitting Double with it puts HB out of commission for enough time for you to push Peacock back a few steps (this is something I still need to test out). You need to be willing to take risks in this specific matchup, and you need to know that as long as she can't get behind you (assuming you keep pushing forward), Peacock will never win the fight (also assuming both players are equally skilled).

Also, make sure to check out Skullheart.

Awesome post.
    Black Egrets, assemble!
    Dime_x said:
    Whats your average ping and where do you live? Im jealous btw. None of them will accept my 190 ping times :(
    I live in Yokohama, around the SW area of Tokyo. My ping times are around 5-20, but I play against overseas people too and it's still good up to 120 and playable up to around 200.
  • UrichinanUrichinan Dismember Joined: Posts: 347
    edited February 2013
    Does anyone else think Ms. Fortune might be the best character post-patch?

The best part is that you can still hard tag for a meterless kill!
    Post edited by Urichinan on
    BB: Litchi/Valkenhayn/Relius - GG: I-No/Axl/Venom - P4U: Shadow Labrys/Mitsuru/Yukiko - SCV: Ivy/Tira/Viola - TTT2 - Anna/Michelle/Sebastian - MK9: Sindel/Sheeva/Cyrax - SFxT: Julia/Vega/Poison - UMvC3: Ghost Rider/Trish/Arthur - MvC2: Ruby Heart/Tron Bonne/Doctor Doom - DS3: Q-bee/Aulbath/Morrigan - SF4v.2012: Rose/C. Viper/Ibuki - KoF13: Mai/Elizabeth/Mature - SG: Painwheel/Cerebella/Parasoul - AH3: Nazuna/Dorothy/Konoha - MBAACC: H-Kohaku & Mech Hisui/F-Archetype: Earth/???
  • VulpesVulpes No. Joined: Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭
    Urichinan said:
    I don't think there is anyone who thinks otherwise :P
    Why.
  • 5th Of Dismember5th Of Dismember Joined: Posts: 27
    i am putting alot of money into skull girls buying myself arcade sticks custom parts 

also readying my self for tournaments . i want to main ms fortune but i spent a whole week making combos only to find out it doesnt work on all the characters ,so i gotta start from the start .
    if this fails then ill main cerabella ,if she fails then fillia .
    Urichinan wrote: »

I think everyone thinks that.
  • Dragonage2ftwDragonage2ftw Joined: Posts: 150
    I would like to thank the skullgirls team for making such a magnificent game, and I look forward to skullgirls 2.
    Black Egrets, assemble!
  • MyLifeIsAnRPGMyLifeIsAnRPG The Cerebella Ninja Joined: Posts: 1,073
    Blaken said:
    I just got destroyed by MyLifeIsAnRpg and it was awesome.
    I just had no clue what happened.
    Today was a good day :D
    Oh hey I was mentioned here *thinks to nine days ago* OH YOU ARE THAT DUDE! Yeah ggs ^_^
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    I thought MF was the best prepatch.

You're going to have to provide more than combos in the corner to show why you think MF is the best.
    Post edited by Mr. X on
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • ZebsterZebster Believe in Falcon Joined: Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭
    @Mr. X said:
    I thought MF was the best prepatch.

You're going to have to provide more than combos in the corner to show why you think MF is the best.
    What about the ones on the front page?
    3DS Friend Code: 1392-4119-7524 3DS name: Zebster Pokemon X in game name: Zebia
  • GhostTearGhostTear BBLLOODDIIAA!!! Joined: Posts: 1,603
    edited February 2013
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Please tell me somebody can make out the character from the first pic with the gauntlets next to the guy with the chair on the second pic. I will cry...T.T

fffffffff...sorry...wrong thread....

Post edited by GhostTear on
    *!!!FENG FOR SKULLGIRLS!!!*
  • KaviteeKavitee Joined: Posts: 787 ✭✭
    Yo, Juju and Molly? My wallet is moving on its own. And is that the old Super Mode Samson? Like in old concepts?
  • BlakenBlaken Joined: Posts: 486
    The dude with the chair!
    Skullgirls got my $30 :D

But can we re-donate? I could donate more in a couple of days
  • DravidianDravidian He who is CAT Joined: Posts: 702
    Kavitee said:
     And is that the old Super Mode Samson? Like in old concepts?
    I believe so.

And of the characters we dont know by name yet, I'm interested in:
    Format- Row, then character
    3,2- I love bards
    3,4- kinda looks like an armored knight
    4,2- looks like a reaper of some sort. The scyth-trident hybrid looks sexy
    4,5- I'd love to smack a $#%^@ with a steel chair
    5,1- is that a boom box? (Big Bands kid/relative?)
    5,5-  I'm pretty sure we've seen pics of that character somewhere
    6,2- I know I've seen that silhouette somewhere before
    6,3- Looks like one of the triplets
    PSN:NeoDeoN; CapcomUnity:Steelballed Dravidian; Tales forum: Dravidian
    Fighting Games I'm playing: UMVC3, SCV, SFIIIOE, and Skullgirls
  • Fatal_PokeFatal_Poke Xbox: Knives the Wolf Joined: Posts: 83
    Lab Zero is creating a Spirit Bomb and we're providing that positive energy to destroy Frieza.