Skullgirls Gameplay Discussion Thanks For Playing

Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ ClimaxJoined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
Gen Dis is not very gameplay-related
Tier Thread is locked

Here's where we discuss gameplay, matchups, tactics and all that sweet, juicy stuff.

Quick Resources:
Weights
Spoiler:
Health and Damage Distribution
Spoiler:

Useful Links
Skullgirls Character Directory
Skullgirls Wiki on SRK
"You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks

Comments

• DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah as long as we can talk about the characters based in matchups and strategies that should work.
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭
    Interesting tidbit I've found mentioned on the forum that is probably lost:

Super Jump turns you towards your opponent if you cross up.

So if you do a super jump instant airdash, when you cross up you'll turn towards the opponent.

Another important nuance:

Not having to reverse your inputs to compensate for a move crossing up during itself is intentional, that way you don't ever get the wrong move if you cancel early/late.
    Example would be doing Valentine's Savage Bypass into Checkmate Incision/EKG Flatliner where you do both quarter circle forward :qcf: motions in the same direction.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
  • BoodendorfBoodendorf Imposing your will is a matter of strength. Joined: Posts: 1,464
    Interesting tidbit I've found mentioned on the forum that is probably lost:

So if you do a super jump instant airdash, when you cross up you'll turn towards the opponent.
    Oh my god I'm so gonna abuse the shit out of this with Filia. Thanks a bunch!
    "‎I don't know if you've ever let someone down, got your ass kicked or straight up failed. But those are the moments that define us. They push you further than you've ever thought possible, and force you to make choices. No matter what the cost." — Cole MacGrath
    Check out my youtube channel here!
    Skullgirls: Hamburger/Befstróganov/Filet Mignon ლ(´ڡ`ლ)
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,150

HOW IT SHOULD BE

As much as I love MvC3 (Not so much Ultimate, more so vanilla) it's one of the things I HATED about that game... how your character didn't turn to face your opponent in the air.

and regular jump shouldn't because that's how crossups should work, you need a hitbox that sortof goes behind the character.

If you Superjump they got more time to react (you're higher up) so that's your advantage for not needing to use a specific normal/space it properly...

As I was writing that I realized you could SJ air dash... but I think there's a height limit for air dashes so it wouldn't be *too* bad.... .... .... right?

edit: Filia is easy to handle normally anyway, I think she needs something like that...
    Valentine.. her air dash makes her move diagonally upward right? hard to do a crossup I think...
    Painwheel... does she have an air dash? or just a fly? painwheel's a pain to deal with she DOESN"T need something like that to help her, (I'm saying this loosely, there'll always be things discovered that can still change the balance of things)
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    Supergun ST in Toronto! & Ranbats!
    Solderless supergunLIMITED TIME ONLY - $150 !!
    WTB: Dream ParaPara (Dreamcast), 18-in-1 CPS2 arcade board.
  • BoodendorfBoodendorf Imposing your will is a matter of strength. Joined: Posts: 1,464

As I was writing that I realized you could SJ air dash... but I think there's a height limit for air dashes so it wouldn't be *too* bad.... .... .... right?

I bet it will become scary with Valentine's crazy air normals.
    "‎I don't know if you've ever let someone down, got your ass kicked or straight up failed. But those are the moments that define us. They push you further than you've ever thought possible, and force you to make choices. No matter what the cost." — Cole MacGrath
    I bet it will become scary with Valentine's crazy air normals.
    oh? what crazy air normals does valentine have?
  • ArachnofiendArachnofiend Double Uzis and a Wink Joined: Posts: 2,058
    I know Body Bag is pretty damn incredible but I don't know enough about the character to say more.

Only air normals I need are SAY YA PWAYERS and DOWN HERE!
    Skullgirls: Peacock/Parasoul Marvel 2: BB Hood/Juggernaut/Ruby Heart Marvel 3: Tron/Strange/Skrull BlazBlue CSE: Hazama Vampire Savior: BB Hood
    Every of her air normals?
    I don't play her but when I fight one they have like 4 or 5 air normal they use that have pretty good range/comes out fast/ are multihit.
  • MomochuuMomochuu Little ♥ Monster Joined: Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭
    How are Cerebella's DHCs?
    Dante Combo Thread | Youtube Channel | Dante Tech Thread | @HelloKarinachuu
    UMvC3: Morrigan (α)/Dante (α)/ Doctor Doom (β)| Persona 4 Arena: Mitsuru/Shadow Labrys
    XBL Gamertag: Hello Momomo
    HOW IT SHOULD BE

As much as I love MvC3 (Not so much Ultimate, more so vanilla) it's one of the things I HATED about that game... how your character didn't turn to face your opponent in the air.

and regular jump shouldn't because that's how crossups should work, you need a hitbox that sortof goes behind the character.

If you Superjump they got more time to react (you're higher up) so that's your advantage for not needing to use a specific normal/space it properly...

edit: Filia is easy to handle normally anyway, I think she needs something like that...
    Valentine.. her air dash makes her move diagonally upward right? hard to do a crossup I think...
    Painwheel... does she have an air dash? or just a fly? painwheel's a pain to deal with she DOESN"T need something like that to help her, (I'm saying this loosely, there'll always be things discovered that can still change the balance of things)
    I was doing it with Fortune, I think IAD is the same height restriction regardless if you jump or super jump.

Painwheel has no airdash.
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    Another important resource: Weights

For whoever posted that MMCafe weight vs boobs tier list, I fixed it for in-game weights (but did not adjust it for boobiness).

Character Weights, not adjusted for boobie size

Lightest to Heaviest

Peacock
    Painwheel
    Ms. Fortune
    Filia
    Valentine
    Parasoul
    Cerebella
    Double
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
  • MacarrattiMacarratti Joined: Posts: 1,421
    How are Cerebella's DHCs?

Diamond dynamo is an excellent DHC starter and ender (provided the opponent isn't too far away). It deals good damage, has invincibility on startup, OTGs easily, has a huge ass hitbox, and even deals good chip if you make a mistake and hit them on block.

She can DHC out of showstopper on hit, but it already goes GDLK damage, so whether or not it's worth it is debatable. I cant remember how long you can wait before DHCing out of it though...

Her level 3 I could see being useful for if you make a fuck up, but it's risky due to the meter, and how it's damage without the first hit isn't as good as other lvl 3s. But it's got super armor out the ass, so there's that.
    Damage/Health Distribution of Teams
    So, it turns out that because of the damage modifiers, the increased health from being on a team isn't as large as was once percieved.

ibfPK602GVB5zg.png

For example: A combo that would do 8171 damage multiplied by 1.75 comes out to about 14300 damage.
    Combo damage is very high, so it's feasible to calculate net health like this.

These are raw net healths. It doesn't account for recoverable damage, but I thought this was an interesting discovery. Recoverable damage would increase the net health of teams by a significant amount, but I can't really calculate it because it requires detailed match data that is not easy to obtain.
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    She can DHC out of showstopper on hit, but it already goes GDLK damage, so whether or not it's worth it is debatable. I cant remember how long you can wait before DHCing out of it though...
    You can dhc right after the last hit if you do it like, really goddamn fast.
  • KayameKayame REPENT!BOOM! Joined: Posts: 549
    Do you guys feel the character specific combos are such a huge thing? It was speculated it would be
    Worst trash talker
    K-pop fan
    Skullgirls is the best
    Ravens fanatic
    Do you guys feel the character specific combos are such a huge thing? It was speculated it would be
    It doesn't really bother me that much.
    Guess that must be because the Parasoul corner loop combo works on everyone as long as they're standing lol.
    Edit: Wait I forgot, it actually KILLS ME for Filia ;_;.
  • The DukeThe Duke Joined: Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just find it funny people complained that people "everyone always does the same combos" now they have a game where you have to learn and use different ones.
  • iinaraiinara red hair Joined: Posts: 587
    yes and no
    it's huge if you have to adjust your combo for every other char, but there isn't a lot of chars so it's not that bad and you could always try and learn a more universal combo if it's too much for you
    I
    am my
    hair
  • OMG its a duckOMG its a duck Bruh I'm in down bad bruh Joined: Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Peacock + Double butt = My god...
  • MacarrattiMacarratti Joined: Posts: 1,421
    Peacock + Double butt = My god...

I know right? That's one hell of a matchup, especially for solobella.

Anyone else face this combo of characters before? What's your gameplan and team for taking them down?
    I know Body Bag is pretty damn incredible but I don't know enough about the character to say more.

Only air normals I need are SAY YA PWAYERS and DOWN HERE!

Your right... the body bag is pretty sick... but that's not a normal... is it? thought it was a special...

Anyone else face this combo of characters before? What's your gameplan and team for taking them down?
    Teleport->Swag Bag.

Gets 'em every time. :U
    Skullgirls: Peacock/Parasoul Marvel 2: BB Hood/Juggernaut/Ruby Heart Marvel 3: Tron/Strange/Skrull BlazBlue CSE: Hazama Vampire Savior: BB Hood
  • XthAtGAm3RGuYXXthAtGAm3RGuYX Holiday Prosecutor. Joined: Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can screw with filia pretty damn hard. I had to practice my best bnb with filia on every character specifically because some have weird airborne hitboxes which makes it easy to drop my combo :p
    Unchallenged owner of worst user name on SRK

AE: Juri(Main), Ken(work in progress)::::UMvC3: Felicia/Dante/Doom::::SkullGirls: Squigly/Fortune
    Not enough Dragonballs between all three of the shows to keep you unbanned - Pertho
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird New and Improved Joined: Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used that combo to make one of my friends ragequit the game. My other friend figure out that you can duck under the butt from an certain range. I'm not sure if that works for all versions of it though.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • c_nulc_nul C'est cool Joined: Posts: 534
    Any dash (i think) can be cancelled at any time by a throw or special throw
    That means it's easy and super effective to perform a kara throw in this game.

Forward dash xx LP+LK with Cerebella can catch people very far with the right timing. I didn't try with everyone though

The wiki explain that kara throw are hard to use in this game so i thought i can point this at least
    "LastPass is a password manager that makes web browsing easier and more secure"
    http://lastpass.com/
  • AndoTheCommandoAndoTheCommando Sorry I'm late! Joined: Posts: 2,558
    Stuff like canceling Titan Knuckle, Lock 'n' Load and the second hit of st. hk with her command throws makes Cerebella scary as fuck.
    "If I can't beat it, it's probably broken."- Ben Perkins.
    "He's american so he has to get retarded rewards for minimal effort."- Ace's thoughts on Captain America combos.
    "not only is this bitch a super kawaii desu roboto she fucking fun as fuck and ALL THE FUCKING PRETTY COLORS."- Jamal313 on playing Aigis.
  • t1bzt1bz Joined: Posts: 196
    So we all know the PeaDouble team is some serious shit, and I decided to main it for now cause my friends all play Val and/or Bella and I don't like dealing with that shit otherwise. My question is, what is Peacock's best assist for Double? I know Peacock is the main attraction here but it would be good to be able to fight with Double if she needs to regain life or something.
    t1bz wrote:
    My question is, what is Peacock's best assist for Double? I know Peacock is the main attraction here but it would be good to be able to fight with Double if she needs to regain life or something.
    You have a few options, st. hp, cr. hk, all versions of George, hp. Item drop just to name a few. Peacock doesn't have a USE THIS ABOVE ALL OTHERS assist so it really comes down to personal preference.
    "He's american so he has to get retarded rewards for minimal effort."- Ace's thoughts on Captain America combos.
    "not only is this bitch a super kawaii desu roboto she fucking fun as fuck and ALL THE FUCKING PRETTY COLORS."- Jamal313 on playing Aigis.
  • debsdebs lowering property value Joined: Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭
    as a filia player...I'm definitely not feeling the character specific bullshit.
  • PerthoPertho FutharSWAG Joined: Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I had a combo that worked on everybody until Ms. Fortune. Soo mad right now at the cat lady.
  • RoGE9RoGE9 Joined: Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I am wrong.

Juggling tier list I made when practicing Valentine's Cr. HP > Jp. HP > Jp. HK (2 hits) xx Dash xx HP xx QCF+HK

Easy:
    Double (her juggle hurtbox seems pretty wide and she falls down fast)
    Filia
    Cera
    Parasoul

Average:
    Painwheel
    Peacock

kinda hard
    Valentine (Not really sure why but she seems very floaty when I juggle her)

Hard
    Ms. Fortune (Can't seem to hit her with the QCF+HK part at all)

Also, not really sure if this applies to the other characters or not but if it does then thats great.
  • harleywastakenharleywastaken Joined: Posts: 261

as another Filia player... there's only eight characters. personally, nbd.
    as another Filia player... there's only eight characters. personally, nbd.
    Just wait until the character roster gets bigger.
    Yeah Filia got a similar problem with her cr.hp loop:
    (corner)s.lk, cr.mp, cr.hp, s.mp, cr.hp, s.mk, cr.hp xx whatever into super or something
    It never works on Valentine and Fortune because they float too far away after cr.mp so cr.hp doesn't connect and doesn't work either on Double cause she falls too fast making ground bounce less effective after first cr.hp so no juggle afterward. It works really well on Peacock and seems to be working on Cerebella, Parasoul and Painwheel too.
  • GenowGenow Joined: Posts: 571
    we can do cr.MP > airdash j.MP > j.HK to restand double so hah, after the initial salt of everything being char specific, I figure I get to have more fun in the lab
    So, when you do a super, damage scaling resets to 80% regardless of what it was before. I think this is an unfortunate design choice, because it means that lots of teams will have 100% life combos. Wanna know how to get a super easy 15k combo?

Team: Cerebella/Valentine
    Cost: 2 bars

--Bella does any hit, gets easy combo for 8.5k, end up in dynamo (armwheel super)
    --Just after last hit of armwheel, DHC to Valentine EKG (kick super), Val super whiffs under opponent
    --Opponent comes down from armwheel, Valentine gets juggle into simple 7k combo

It's basically dhc glitch from Marvel 3, except intentional and resets damage scaling only to 80% rather than 100%. All you have to do is find a set of supers where the 2nd character can come in and do an actual combo. I've only looked at Bella/Valentine so far because that's the team I've been playing, but I bet a ton of teams can do this kind of thing. DHC trick returns!
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
  • FirebrandedFirebranded Aerial Ace Joined: Posts: 3,817
    Good stuff.
    Firebrand/Wolverine/Sentinel P4A: Yosuke (236B = Bon Voyage), Teddy
    GT: WESKERRRRRR
    "I luv my anchor" by KassandraNova.
    SWAY: A Ten Minute Firebrand Tutorial
  • joe2187joe2187 Joined: Posts: 58
    I have no problem with double assist, or peacock's zoning, I got that shit.

But rushdown Valentine simply destroys my ass, I play solo fortune, and I get utterly murdered by valentines far reaching jumping normals and crouching attacks, I try and punish stuff I know is punishable and in turn get murdered. I need some tips on this bish, FUCK THAT BODY BAG SHIT!
  • M3SS3NG3RM3SS3NG3R Joined: Posts: 165
    What's the specifics on quick rise? Can they be baited and punished?

Sometimes when I do a teachable OTG combo (yeah cuz I suck) and my opponent tries to quick rise and roll behind me he gets hit by my fierce punch instead. FP button press is part of the combo though it's meant to be a command normal. The roll however screws up the direction input and makes regular FP comes out. I can't tell if it's because my opponent is doing something when he gets hit or the roll is actually vulnerable though.
  • deice-deice- kimchi yokatta darou Joined: Posts: 596
    I'm curious about damage scaling. From wiki:
    wiki wrote:
    Attack damage scales down at a compounding 85% per hit after the 3nd hit in a combo. Damage scales to a mininum 25% for attacks with base damage of 1000 and above and 15% of base damage for hits under 1000 base damage. Throws with multiple hits keep the damage scaling of the first hit for the entire throw. Any combo after a throw scales damage as if the throw was a single hit. Minimum damage for any hit is 1 point.
    Blockbuster Sequels reset damage scaling to 80% at the super flash. Projectiles have their scaled damage determined from when they hit, even if left on the screen during the additional super flash.
    Compounding 85% means the scaling is:
    100% 85% 72% 61% 52% 44% 38% 32% 27% 23% 20% 17% 15%

So on the 13th hit we've reached 15% scaling (and 10th hit reaches the 25% bottom for 1k+ attacks).

DHC's reset scaling to 80%. After a DHC the scaling goes:
    80% 68% 58% 49% 42% 35% 30% 26% 22% 19% 16% 15%

So after DHC's, on the 12th hit we hit the 15% bottom scaling (9th hit for 25% for 1k+)

What I'm interested in is, I'm reading between the lines in the wiki that every hit scales independently, so multi-hitting moves basically rape your scaling. Is this a universal rule that every hit that registers on the combo counter scales once (except throw starters)?

Also, does this apply even to multihitting supers? Trying to think what the optimal way to abuse the DHC scaling reset is, is it best to whiff the actual super so you get an limited scaling combo after, or just let it rip.

Its slightly annoying the scaling is variable, so I can't make good rules of thumb like in SF4 series (where if an attack does less that 10% of the damage of the combo, it should be removed from the scaling part to optimize damage).
    Spoiler:
    SSF4: Juri BBCSEX: Λ-11 AH3: Nazuna MBAACC: F-Hime SG: Valentine/Squigly/Parasoul
    本番はこれからだったのに, もう限界? - honban wa korekara datta no ni, mou genkai?

What I'm interested in is, I'm reading between the lines in the wiki that every hit scales independently, so multi-hitting moves basically rape your scaling. Is this a universal rule that every hit that registers on the combo counter scales once (except throw starters)?

Also, does this apply even to multihitting supers? Trying to think what the optimal way to abuse the DHC scaling reset is, is it best to whiff the actual super so you get an limited scaling combo after, or just let it rip.

Its slightly annoying the scaling is variable, so I can't make good rules of thumb like in SF4 series (where if an attack does less that 10% of the damage of the combo, it should be removed from the scaling part to optimize damage).
    Spoiler:
    Don't forget that some assists might scale an insanely lot your damages. Like Cerebella's Diamond drop gets your directly to 15% damages. I didn't try with other assists but I believe it's only with command grabs.
  • worldjem7worldjem7 Seven World Jems Joined: Posts: 544

Yes, damage scaling is constant and universal for every move. How far in the combo you are determines how scaled the combo is and throws freeze scaling until the entire throw has completed.

The first 3 hits in a combo do full damage then the 4th hit will be 85% and so on with compounded scaling.

I made a damage scaling calculator on excel last fall for SG because the scaling is that simple.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtQ_t4ERdHBLdHpOU0JRd2tSekt1ZVdzSHc3LUdtUWc

I think there's only one special rule outside of DHCs resetting scaling to 80% and that's Cerebella's 360 super. I forget the details but under some condition, the last hit will only do half damage.
    I think there's only one special rule outside of DHCs resetting scaling to 80% and that's Cerebella's 360 super. I forget the details but under some condition, the last hit will only do half damage.
    Throwing off stagger like her sMP or Run > Throw
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
  • AmigoOneAmigoOne Joined: Posts: 1,170 ✭✭
    Just a curious question. Why doesn't Mike Z give us frame data on skullgirls? Do you think he should or shouldn't?
    Just a curious question. Why doesn't Mike Z give us frame data on skullgirls? Do you think he should or shouldn't?
    Who do you think is giving us frame data on the wiki? it not him, himself but someone close to the project he's allowing to do it.

He had something to compile all the frame data but it broke.

There's also the hitstun and blockstun bars in the training mode.
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
  • Dime_xDime_x master theorist Joined: Posts: 4,938 ✭✭
    Who do you think is giving us frame data on the wiki? it not him, himself but someone close to the project he's allowing to do it.

He had something to compile all the frame data but it broke.

There's also the hitstun and blockstun bars in the training mode.

iirc he said that pizzarino was ironmanning the frame data down just like how the guide people do it... time consumng ass process.

it sucks that his old xbox broke with all the frames and stuff on it... but in the end though it isnt THAT needed, just something that helps.

-dime
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/double & Peacock/x/painwheel. SSF4 AE 2012: Ibuki
    ST: Dee Jay,Vega,Ryu,Zangief,Boxer,Chun,Guile,Sagat
    If you're offended by your own playstyle that doesnt make sense -Pali
    -Dime_x
    I've discovered that Cerebella can cancel her AA grab with Showstopper. You jump, you get grabbed. You stay grounded, you get grabbed. Have fun with that.
    Pizzarino is working on acquiring the frame data for the wiki. Not sure what his progress is though.
  • shiningnegroshiningnegro Joined: Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    I've discovered that Cerebella can cancel her AA grab with Showstopper. You jump, you get grabbed. You stay grounded, you get grabbed. Have fun with that.

God damn that is scary tech right there
    Lone Wolf Pack Interactive (New Indie Game Company)
    PSN: OneNappyNinja
    Main Games: TTT2 (Mains - Lily/Bruce) & SSF4:AE2012 (Main - Ibuki)
    SRK Fairy Gym Leader (Wifi) Friend Code: 1693-0954-9411
    Pizzarino is working on acquiring the frame data for the wiki. Not sure what his progress is though.
    3/8 characters have frame data for their normals up

Filia
    Valentine
    Cerebella
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME