Dreamcast or PS2 version

did this really have to be asked?
    This battle is about to explode. FIGHT!
    PSN: Nephinel
    NNID: Nephinel
  • xDREADxKICKxDREADxKICK Joined: Posts: 122
    Dreamcast or PS2 version

did this really have to be asked?
    Considering I was not into fighting games during that era yes.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 34,352 mod
    DC and PS2 are for all intents and purposes, arcade perfect.

GCN and XBox version were tweaked with changes that the community did not like.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

Is there a 360 to ps2 adapter or would I have to buy a new stick?
  • DanDanDanDan Yeah! Joined: Posts: 1,209
    Is there a 360 to ps2 adapter or would I have to buy a new stick?
    mod your stick. go to tech talk and read the stickies, and the dual mod thread (not sure if stickied)
    KOF and AE 2012
    mod your stick. go to tech talk and read the stickies, and the dual mod thread (not sure if stickied)
    Thank you sir.
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    dreamcast version is the best and most accurate port.

ps2 is slightly faster I think. either one is faithful to original arcade version.
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ps2 version is zoomed-in and pixelated, w/faded colors. Dc all the way.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • MalevolenciaMalevolencia @MaliceIsGDLK Joined: Posts: 388
    DC all day, but you'll be fine with either that version or the PS2 version.

Side question: What killed CVS2 competitively?
    -Malice
  • Dances with NinjasDances with Ninjas Kung Fu Treachery Joined: Posts: 814

You
    "Unless you mean Dances with Ninjas? Whatever. He's the genius champion of our generation..." - TWG Arthur
  • xPlasmaxPlasma Joined: Posts: 218

Roll cancels were perceived to be too strong, and the game is very slow and takes a long time. Also if someone is better than you at CvS2 you will never beat them, so competition gets dry when the same people win.

That's what appears to have happened, altho if I am wrong please correct me :P
    The fear when someone has done two shorts and you know a super is coming
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Super Coffee Fighter V Joined: Posts: 5,174 mod
    Not really. It just ran its course.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 13,481 admin
    Roll cancels were perceived to be too strong, and the game is very slow and takes a long time.
    The average Marvel match is about 2:30 or so, the average CvS2 match was about 6:30 or so. It was pretty stunning. I tried taping CvS2 a few times but you have to sit there forever and a day. :\
    Also if someone is better than you at CvS2 you will never beat them, so competition gets dry when the same people win.
    I think the barrier to entry does get pretty high as people rank up. If someone wants to be a dick and turtle hardcore in 3S, it's three minutes of terrible time. If you do that in CvS2, that's ... seven minutes. Playing unpleasant people in CvS2 is towards the high end of unpleasantness in any game I can think of.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

MvC2 for Xbox One/PS4 pls

• Mr. WarzardMr. Warzard CvS2 Commissioner Gordon Joined: Posts: 778
    The average Marvel match is about 2:30 or so, the average CvS2 match was about 6:30 or so. It was pretty stunning. I tried taping CvS2 a few times but you have to sit there forever and a day. :\

This is true only if people are really slow to pick their characters/grooves. Having watched and played countless matches of the game, I'd say the average time is closer to 4:00.

Depends what you mean. What caused it to be no longer a part of American majors? SF4 and a large number of tournament organizers who don't understand/like the game is the short answer. Lack of access to the game was/is a big problem too - the ps2 copy isn't the easiest game to find, dreamcasts are dwindling in supply, and even if you have the stuff, you need a crt to experience it without debilitating input lag.

That said, CvS2 is still played competitively in norcal! Check out www.southtownarcade.com/ and iplaywinner.com for the schedule and stream for the Norcal cvs2 ranbats. We had a 24 man tournament a couple weeks ago, and hope to have an even better turnout this Sunday.
    The dude with the shovel over SF4's grave.
    CVS2: Grown Man Street Fighting
    Apoc was right: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/556915/#Comment_556915
  • TheBigDaddyC-MasterTheBigDaddyC-Master Joined: Posts: 771

Yea, from what I thought they were pretty much the same. I hear some inconsistent things that people say separate them, but I don't see much. Heard PS2 was higher res, but who knows.
    ps2 version is standard 480i and dreamcast is 480p vga so dc is higher resolution and like I said its the most accurate arcade port.

• Little_GotenLittle_Goten No seriously, what the heck's a Kakarot? Joined: Posts: 5,598
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the "Mark of the Millenium" version and the "Millionaire Fighting" versions? After playing both, I cannot tell the difference. Are they the same?
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    3DS: 3325-5076-0861
    NNID: Little_Goten
    Pokemon, Third Strike, Vsav, Skullgirls, Yu-Gi-Oh, Cardfight Vanguard

^ its just different name for american and japanese version. still the same game.

Big_Gotten wont be pleased about you asking this kind of question :nono:

• TheBigDaddyC-MasterTheBigDaddyC-Master Joined: Posts: 771
    ps2 version is standard 480i and dreamcast is 480p vga so dc is higher resolution and like I said its the most accurate arcade port.
    Is it? I never heard about that. They look close enough to me though. DC games were similar to the arcade. It would have been interesting to see if the Saturn (with the chip) could have handled it well.
  • Little_GotenLittle_Goten No seriously, what the heck's a Kakarot? Joined: Posts: 5,598
    ^ its just different name for american and japanese version. still the same game.

Big_Gotten wont be pleased about you asking this kind of question :nono:

Big Goten is too busy playing KOF to care what I ask. :rofl:

And thanks. :tup:
    3DS: 3325-5076-0861
    NNID: Little_Goten
    Pokemon, Third Strike, Vsav, Skullgirls, Yu-Gi-Oh, Cardfight Vanguard

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 34,352 mod
    Arcade version runs on the NAOMI board which is pretty much a DreamCast.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,227
    Naomi
    Main Ram : 32 megs
    CPU : Hitachi SH-4 32-bit RISC CPU (200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS)
    Graphic Engine : PowerVR (PVR2DC)
    Sound Engine : ARM7 Yamaha AICA 45 MHZ
    Main Memory : 32 MByte
    Graphic Memory : 16 MByte
    Sound Memory : 8 MByte

Dreamcast
    Main Ram : 16 megs
    CPU : Hitachi SH-4 32-bit RISC CPU (200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS)
    Graphic Engine : PowerVR (PVR2DC)
    Sound Engine : ARM7 Yamaha AICA 45 MHZ
    Main Memory : 16 MByte
    Graphic Memory : 8 MByte
    Sound Memory : 2 MByte

I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum

[8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games

• wepeelwepeel Blanka is my only hope Joined: Posts: 1,180
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the "Mark of the Millenium" version and the "Millionaire Fighting" versions? After playing both, I cannot tell the difference. Are they the same?

I think the Millionaire Fighting version allows you to build meter after winning a round with crouch-canceling whiffing. Mark of the Millenium and the home ports do not let you build meter but you can still whiff stuff. (right?)
    do you believe I would take such a thing with me, and give it to a police man

-find the truth on page 318 of the Thinking Out Loud Thread V.2
  • OrochiDemonOrochiDemon Joined: Posts: 1,537
    I found 3 copies at a store for $15 for PS2, Im gonna get one. I dont have a dreamcast.
    that has to be the funniest match ever

• MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    SNAAAAKE wrote: »
    that has to be the funniest match ever

i remember min talking about it and going nuts didnt that set last like an hour?
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
    yeah something like that lol..I miss those days..you know..without xfactor

• MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    yeah all i wanna do is play cvs2 cant wait to go to japan and play cvs2 scrubs at mikado since no one goes there for cvs2 ill probably get scraped anyways
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
  • nscnsc Stay free, it's the way to be Joined: Posts: 1,795
    What's the PSN ps3 version of CvS2 like? I've got $10 credit sitting on my account because of their value deal where they gave you money if you spent money.

CvS2 digital on ps3 playable? Or lag filled wasteland of horribleness?
    PSN: iamnsc ~ Steam: nsc
    Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2013
    ^ its playable but there is lag. good for casual matches but you dont wanna run the ps3 version at tournaments or anything..

• nscnsc Stay free, it's the way to be Joined: Posts: 1,795
    You should've mentioned that 90% of arcade sticks don't work :rofl: luckily for me I've got one of the few magical PCBs that do work
    PSN: iamnsc ~ Steam: nsc
    Ontario, Canada
  • ShiroPhantomeShiroPhantome Wut is lyf? Plz Elboar8 I dant understand Joined: Posts: 65
    As someone who never got to play CVS2, I do want to see a CVS3 bring the series back to its former glory.
    edited January 2014
    nsc wrote: »
    You should've mentioned that 90% of arcade sticks don't work :rofl: luckily for me I've got one of the few magical PCBs that do work

What do you mean exactly? This PS2 version I play on doesnt register shoryuken motions all that well, Im using the Tekken 5 ps2 stick for it. Im also having trouble doing Rugals forward half circle forward punch move compared to it in KOF 02 on the same stick and system.

Edit, Nevermind! I got my timing down for the game.
    Post edited by OrochiDemon on
  • Shadow AceShadow Ace The Royal Knight of the Turbulent Winds Joined: Posts: 5,130
    As someone who never got to play CVS2, I do want to see a CVS3 bring the series back to its former glory.

This post doesnt even make sense..
    Once Known as Shadow Ace 50
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a rose as gentle, a song so eloquent
    Shadow Ace wrote: »

This post doesnt even make sense..

I think he wants to see a new game for SNK vs Capcom characters. Itd be a ton of fun for us who missed out when the first two games came out.