Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Announced

Ratio 4 CerebellaRatio 4 Cerebella this againJoined: Posts: 90
Obviously been rumored for a while, but yeah. What's everyone's impressions?

Info from GAF thread.

- Smash bros gameplay confirmed
- HOLIDAY RELEASE
- more news coming at E3 (duh)
- 60 FPS confirmed (nerds)
- multiplayer with options
- 3rd party characters are in
- 3 layers of super for each character
- Looks like life bars instead of numbers
- Hades stage (hades doing things during the fight)
- Buzz stage (get quizzed DURING the fight)
- LBP stage (starts off empty, stage builds as you play)
- Sandover Village stage
- Ratchet and Clank stage with Hydra from GoW
- Patapons doing things to Hades, combining characters for stages
- fat princess
- sly (can turn invisible cuz he stealthy)
- kratos
- Sweet Tooth
- Radec (his 3rd super is going into first person mode and fucking shit up)
- Parappa

Also note that Ed Ma is working on it. He used to be a combat designer at Sony Santa Monica (God of War series). You can see his face on the Superbot website.

Footage here: http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/152?ch=1

Edit: Apparently MAJ is working on it too. High hopes.

Comments

• specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Seems like this will be a way, way, way, way, way better version of Brawl. Just don't tell Nintendo fanboys. They're still in deni -- *trip*

Sorry. Can't finish my thought now.
    Carlos and Dave Anime Rave is the BEST damn anime review show on the internet! AnimeRave.xyz
  • beyond_deathbeyond_death Pony Advertising Joined: Posts: 44
    This looks more similar to Smash than I imagined. Pretty hype for this.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 21,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Looks fun so far................
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • shin neferioshin neferio BEHOLD! Joined: Posts: 810
    lol this looks like shit.
    5th King of Tetris
  • JozhearJozhear vega all day Joined: Posts: 7,394
    Seems like this will be a way, way, way, way, way better version of Brawl. Just don't tell Nintendo fanboys. They're still in deni -- *trip*

Sorry. Can't finish my thought now.
    Haha good one.

Brawl is a very fun game, but a big part of the sell for me is playing characters from games I liked when I was younger.

Most of the PS3 characters / games, I have 0 experience with. So as long as they ship Solid Snake over (I did play MGS4) I should be alright.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,502 mod
    I'd like to see how the competitive experience of Ed and MAJ help shape the game.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • VorkosiganVorkosigan AWOOOGA Joined: Posts: 1,919
    - Radec (his 3rd super is going into first person mode and fucking shit up)

Wait, Radec as the Killzone 2 villain?

Autobuy. I didn't even know Sony acknowledged he existed
    A few years ago (my mother) asked if I beat Justin Wong at Evo. The shame I felt in saying no made me seriously consider suicide right there on the spot. - Viscant
  • JozhearJozhear vega all day Joined: Posts: 7,394
    Wait wait wait. I'd just like to offer a thought.

A game doesn't have smash brothers gameplay if it doesn't have the blowback and off-screen KO's and shit. You bring health bars starting from 100% to 0 into a game and no blowback, it's not smash brothers.

With that said, that's a good thing. I'd rather have a new 4 player chaos and potentially-good-1v1-fighting game over a Brawl/Melee clone anyday.

Hey, will Spyro be in this game? Is he a playstation character? If so oohohhhhhhhhh mannnnnn

EDIT: My bad, I watched more of the trailer, it has blowback. But no offscreen KO's. I just wonder how blowback is calculated then.

Maybe you can still get offscreen KO'd. Who knows.
  • Thatdude8Thatdude8 Joined: Posts: 302
    They really gave Radec Snake's final smash haha. Question is will this be the fighter for smash fans who were not satisfied with brawl?
    They really gave Radec Snake's final smash haha. Question is will this be the fighter for smash fans who were not satisfied with brawl?

Smash fans like Smash because of the Nintendo characters, not because of the game system

They won't switch over to this
    A few years ago (my mother) asked if I beat Justin Wong at Evo. The shame I felt in saying no made me seriously consider suicide right there on the spot. - Viscant
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188
    I'm thinking the cats will make it in with Cole.

Also, LBP and Jak better represent. Is Crash considered a PS character even though he went cross platform?
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
    I'm thinking the cats will make it in with Cole.
    Hopefully they keep their SFxT moves.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • CougarCougar Logic, yo. Joined: Posts: 1,528
    Smash fans like Smash because of the Nintendo characters, not because of the game system

I'm a Smash fan, and I'm getting this. That being said, I'm not a die-hard, but I do enjoy the series occassionally. I'm really looking forward to this, I think it might give Smash a run for its mon— *trips*

Shucks, it happened again.
    [ Magneto | Nova | Sentinel ]
    UMvC3: [Strange/Haggar/Arthur] Low tier heroes, represent!
    PSN: TheCougar44. Add me if you want to play some matches!
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,667
    Sony should put Megaman in this game just to mindfuck everyone.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 21,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I don't see why Sony won't put this on the Vita as well with cross-platform support.................
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • Sanger ZonvoltSanger Zonvolt Future Cyberbots Pro Joined: Posts: 1,529
    Only buying if they get Crash Badicoot in.
    Sword of Sophia and fightan games
    Cyberbots: Super-8 & Helion
    Vampire Savior: Lilith, Jedah, and Demitri
    Skullgirls: Painwheel/Filia/Squigly
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,014
    No Jak = no buys

Some Smash fans try to get in on games that play similar to it. TMNT: Smash-up and Cartoon Network game being examples
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • TheBlackHombreTheBlackHombre Aesthetic Joined: Posts: 1,667
    looks fun. i wonder how it would play on an arcade stick tho
  • Thatdude8Thatdude8 Joined: Posts: 302

Good point.
    Hey, will Spyro be in this game? Is he a playstation character? If so oohohhhhhhhhh mannnnnn
    Is Crash considered a PS character even though he went cross platform?
    During the interview it was said that there would be 3rd party characters, so both Crash & Spyro might be in if Activision allows Sony to use them again.
    I've a feeling that we might see Capcom characters.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,067
    enter fgd
    see thread

- Smash bros gameplay confirmed
    Smash isn't a fighter, silly goose.Kappa.png

trolling aside, looks interesting
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,198
    It doesn't really play anything like Smash though. There's no build up to higher percentages into being knocked off. It looks like it's a different thing to look into. Kinda hyped for it actually.
  • ErizoErizo Da riza Joined: Posts: 3
    This game looks entertaining. Hopefully, the "MLG pro" guys they have working on it don't ruin what looks to be a good thing and turn it straight homo.
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    Game needs the following characters-

iB4Hq4EUrAPpP.gif

07sxX.jpg

Oh and these guys too-
    MediEvil.jpg
    yakuza3_01.jpg
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,970
    ...should i feel ahshame i want to main fat princess?.....her character design is interesting.
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,698
    It doesn't really play anything like Smash though. There's no build up to higher percentages into being knocked off. It looks like it's a different thing to look into. Kinda hyped for it actually.
    It has the same kinds of controls so it plays at its core like Smash. Doesn't matter if it has a life bar or not.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,198
    It has the same kinds of controls so it plays at its core like Smash. Doesn't matter if it has a life bar or not.

No I see the similarities but the objective is different. You don't get hit higher at higher percentages. You just die when you're out of health. Kinda like that lame "stamina" special mode.
  • Ben PerkinsBen Perkins Joined: Posts: 6,758
    No I see the similarities but the objective is different. You don't get hit higher at higher percentages. You just die when you're out of health. Kinda like that lame "stamina" special mode.

That functioned like a traditional fighting game. This Playstation thing seems to be trying to mesh the two styles more fluidly.
  • hybreezyhybreezy A Fraud Draws Near Joined: Posts: 7,490
    Selvaria Bles for third party >__>
    Mediocre at fighting games
  • JocelotJocelot Don't give up! Joined: Posts: 5,269
    Lol, this looks fun. I'll definitely give it a shot. I know Crash is obscure as hell now, but it would be killer to bring him back for this. Having him and Drake and Jak fighting it out.... jeez it would be glorious.
    Party Robot!!
    Now my head can spin. I'll be around for a million years, so let the party begin.
    jak d ripr wrote: »
    That shit had me in stitches. Nigga went for all these flashy set-ups and doom was like hold these boots.
    Considering how much attention Naughty Dog has give Jak and Daxter the last few years... I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make it :(
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,014
    Does anyone else want to see Kevin Butler in this game?
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • hybreezyhybreezy A Fraud Draws Near Joined: Posts: 7,490
    I think because he's a nobody at this point outside of nostalgia he should be really easy to bring back so there's no excuse. Same with Spyro really, but I guess it depends if they feel they're worth it. If Sony has the choice of them or more popular characters they might be out of luck.
    Mediocre at fighting games
    Does anyone else want to see Kevin Butler in this game?
    He's the game's secret boss, who can only be fought by fulfilling the same conditions needed to fight Gouki in ST
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
  • PoltergustPoltergust Joined: Posts: 845

Who's to say that they don't also like Sony characters, though?

I'm buying this not only because of the system, but because Sly and Parappa are in it. ^_^
    Brawl/UMvC3 player here. Yup...
  • Shanghai KidShanghai Kid Joined: Posts: 2,261
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/hit-points-playstation-all-stars/729627

The only way to kill characters are with supers.

I want to see these characters in it:

ico-north-american-cover.jpg

heavyrain_203058.jpg

And last but not least: Grand-Turismo-5-1.jpg
  • RenoReno ↑ Maggy Joined: Posts: 854 mod
    The director of the game is a friend of mine, who is also on virtuafighter.com as a lurker (he's registered though). He was also the combat designer for the first 2 UFC games for THQ. :)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/itsumobasho
    SF5: Bison, Necalli
    VF5FS: Taka-arashi
    Soulcalibur V: Leixia, Astaroth
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/hit-points-playstation-all-stars/729627

The only way to kill characters are with supers.
    Destructiod has an article about the game-
    http://www.destructoid.com/preview-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-226561.phtml
    - The team consists of members with extensive backgrounds in fighting and combat titles

- Either the left analog stick or the d-pad controls movement of your character.

- The right stick will let you perform throws, with different ones assigned to each direction.

- The X button jumps, and the other three face buttons are assigned to different attacks.

- L1 blocks and R1 picks up items.

- R2, executes a super move. While fighting, you'll build up a meter that lets you perform a super move that knocks out characters.

- Also, some attacks knock AP (action points) out of opponents, letting others pick them up to fill up these meters. There are three levels of supers, each one stronger than the last, and each requiring another filling of this meter. If you can manage to land hits and survive long enough, a level three super can knock out all other players, earning you points.

- Victory goes to the player with the highest number of KOs; knocking out a character adds to your score while being knocked out subtracts from it.

- So, there's nothing in the way of health bars here, as health doesn't really matter in the long run.

- Most of the matches I played were frantic free-for-alls that had us hitting each other in any way possible in an effort to get those meters filled up.

- get excited about the control, because it's outstanding. SuperBot really nailed it. It's fast, super-responsive, and never gets in the way of the crazy action. The in-air stuff is not floaty at all; jumps do what you need them to, when you need them to. I never had a problem blocking, platforming or recovering.
  • Ratio 4 CerebellaRatio 4 Cerebella this again Joined: Posts: 90
    The director of the game is a friend of mine, who is also on virtuafighter.com as a lurker (he's registered though). He was also the combat designer for the first 2 UFC games for THQ. :)
    Neat. It really seems like they got the right team for this. What I really like is the game seems to have a slightly higher emphasis on competitive play compared to Smash.

This is one of the few games I'd kill to work on.
  • KaviteeKavitee Joined: Posts: 787
    So could some one repost those leaks?
    I know the big thing was James Bond, but what else?

Killzone guy looks neat, but I GOTTA BELIEVE