Divekick - The One True Game - Out now on Steam/PS3/Vita BUY IT

Comments

• KeitsKeits OneTrueGame.com Joined: Posts: 8,765 mod
    Short of arranging a location test at your event, you'll just have to wait until Divekick is released to play at your local events (and I hope you do!). Please support the project on Kickstarter starting on Monday.
    Visit OneTrueGame.com for information on DIVEKICK, Tunnel, and future projects.
  • DTJBDTJB Lazy Man's Artist Joined: Posts: 1,282
    Heres a video of LaserKick I recorded at CEO. I'm sure you guys already know what it is.
    :wow: The FUUUUUHHHHHHH...
    Working hard to get noticed.
    Put something in the music threads, good chance I'll like it.
    3S: Makoto - KOF13: Terry/Shen/Kula - USF4: Adon - VS: Felicia
  • ZansamZansam Frank Time! Joined: Posts: 1,289
    Thought of a killer piece of advice Uncle Sensei should give? Missed out on a Divekick T-shirt? Want to be credited for your part in The One True Fighting Game? WANT TO HAVE YOUR OWN CHARACTER IN THE GAME?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/995085580/bring-divekick-to-pc

What are you waiting for? :)
    The dream is dead.
  • throwing is cheapthrowing is cheap master of teleport + assist Joined: Posts: 1,805
    Isn't this game already on PC? It's pretty much done, right?
    Isn't this game already on PC? It's pretty much done, right?

It isn't even close to done or in a releasable state.
  • throwing is cheapthrowing is cheap master of teleport + assist Joined: Posts: 1,805
    What about it exactly is unfinished or in a 'not even close to releasable' state?

Because I talked to several people who played the game and they said as far as they could tell it was done.

I see that you've talked about why you need 30k, but that still seems like quite a bit, like you're trying to hop on the kickstarter bandwagon.
  • ghostiesghosties spooked ya Joined: Posts: 356
    just have 1 question that im sure other people are probably asking themselves:

if i donate 10$ to "essentially preorder the game" and you dont reach that 30k mark (meaning you dont get funded) thats apparently all going to the game, am i actually going to get the game since... without the 30k you can't afford to make it?
    you get your $10 back if the game's not successfully funded.
  • ghostiesghosties spooked ya Joined: Posts: 356
    ok so then Keits is essentially using this to gauge interest in the game. thats not actually a bad thing to do. why not just say that instead of going "it actually costs 30k to finish/port divekick U gUyZ dOnT kNoW aNyThInG aBoUt pRoGrAmMiNg OmG :looney:"?

https://twitter.com/KayinNasaki/status/219902557114478593 <- srsrsrsly
    Because it will cost $30k to get this game released. This is really on the cheap end for a video game project like this, and I'm putting in nearly 20k out of pocket in addition to the kickstarter (I'm already down about 10k). I'm not fucking around with you.

The game may be in a state where some people will want to buy it (I'd buy it!), but we have a lot we are adding to the game so that it feels like a complete product worth paying for. And yes, you get your backing back from kickstarter if we dont reach the goal. We super much appreciate the support you guys are willing to give, and if you don't want to help, that is totally cool too. All I ask is that, if you end up at EVO or some other event where we are showing Divekick, please stop by and play it with us.
  • IlthuainIlthuain Lost in a labyrinth of egoism Joined: Posts: 402
    Keits, the likelihood of this game being on Steam isn't that great (although you may luck out), so I'm not so certain that budgeting for legal fees and external QA at this point is worth the effort.
    "They took three locks of her yellow hair; Lay the bairn tae the bonnie broom
    And wi' them strung that harp so rare; Fa la la la la la la la la la"
    -Old Blind Dogs
    As stated, any extra money we have from this that isn't spend on those things will be spent improving the game, adding more content, modes, etc. And again, all we ask is that if you are interested in the game, to just pledge the $10 to pre-order it. If you want to do more, that is awesome and we super appreciate it. If you dont even want to pre-order, that is cool too. Just please come play with us at EVO. The line moves fast!
  • IlthuainIlthuain Lost in a labyrinth of egoism Joined: Posts: 402
    As stated, any extra money we have from this that isn't spend on those things will be spent improving the game, adding more content, modes, etc. And again, all we ask is that if you are interested in the game, to just pledge the $10 to pre-order it. If you want to do more, that is awesome and we super appreciate it. If you dont even want to pre-order, that is cool too. Just please come play with us at EVO. The line moves fast!

Keits, I think it's very cool that you're very enthusiastic about your product and I give huge props to indie developers who can actually create a working game. I'm not advising people to donate money or to not donate money to the project, I'm offering some advice as someone who has shipped very small budget and much higher budget games. You should invest all of the money you raise back into development, and not worry about distribution channels or publishing until you have a product that is worth distributing. Splitting 30k into QA that you might not need, lawyers that you certainly don't need, and licensing will leave you with the same product you had before and but without significant resources to pay for improvements. I'm concerned that you're shooting the moon when you should be playing very conservatively at this point.

That's all I wanted to say. I'll certainly play your game at Evo and I hope that your Kickstarter fundraising goals are met many times over.
    "They took three locks of her yellow hair; Lay the bairn tae the bonnie broom
    And wi' them strung that harp so rare; Fa la la la la la la la la la"
    -Old Blind Dogs
    Thank you, Iithuain. That all sounds like good advice, and we will definitely be improving the software as much as possible for release no matter where it ends up being distributed.
  • DensuoDensuo Winning by Timeout (⌐■_■) Joined: Posts: 6,759
    I fucking hate divekicks. but then... I saw the light. holy fucking shit
    Won El Fuerte's first and only Major, at Winter Brawl 7
    " -______- I still think Densuo is best Fuerte in America" - x MannyFuerte x 三( ° Д°)-@ Charging star!!
    "You're right mang, Ken players need to start doing more 360 grabs." Shinroken
    "Sometimes I get random demon flips and Air Hados because I'm tatsu-ing so hard!" GomuGomu
  • KarnovKarnovKarnovKarnov Joined: Posts: 207
    Guys who have made and published 3 games on Steam (including the recent Penny Arcade rpg) weigh in on the issue:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/23587451#Comment_23587451

You don't have to change the amount of money you're asking for; just re-word it so that it's accurate with the new needs. Quite frankly, if you just said, "We have 5 people who need to make rent. The $30k will go towards software licenses, food, rent, and the merch" then I don't think you'd have much of a problem, nor would you be lying. $15k is literally one half of the amount that you are trying to raise, and it's turning people off for all kinds of reasons. If $30k has a surplus, then take lithuain's advice and not only re-invest it in the product, but declare that surplus publicly. Hell, take a vote from your backers as to how to use the money (probably more DiveKick merch). Be up front about it.

If you need people to test the game for you, you have ALL OF SRK to ask. Just think about the dozens of people who were at tournaments who not only happily tested your game, but paid you to do so. I also highly doubt that everybody on SRK has the same kind of computer. If you just make a thread in the tech forum, post up the kinds of machines you need coverage on, and show the progress right on the thread you could probably get the job done in a week. Then give the people who have helped you DiveKick pins or something for their efforts (paid for via your KickStarter).
    Donate for the game? Preorder? fuck yeah I'll do it. where?
    " -______- I still think Densuo is best Fuerte in America" - x MannyFuerte x 三( ° Д°)-@ Charging star!!
    "Sometimes I get random demon flips and Air Hados because I'm tatsu-ing so hard!" GomuGomu
  • Master_ChibiMaster_Chibi .: Dynamites! :. Joined: Posts: 15,059 mod
    I've been helping out with Skullgirls for a year now, and all for free.

Hell, I've been bringing the patched version to whatever East Coast event I can, and that's money out of my pocket.

If you want me to sign an NDA or something of the sort I would happily bring it to a TSB / Big Two event or otherwise Adam, and I don't want a damn thing for it :P
    ~*Hai! Back to Japan!
  • AmigoOneAmigoOne Joined: Posts: 1,194
    I'm excited for this game to come out so I can see what its all about...

But 30k within 30 days, that seems a little short on time. I'm you can get the backing you need if you had more time...
    Guys who have made and published 3 games on Steam (including the recent Penny Arcade rpg) weigh in on the issue:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/23587451#Comment_23587451

You don't have to change the amount of money you're asking for; just re-word it so that it's accurate with the new needs. Quite frankly, if you just said, "We have 5 people who need to make rent. The $30k will go towards software licenses, food, rent, and the merch" then I don't think you'd have much of a problem, nor would you be lying. $15k is literally one half of the amount that you are trying to raise, and it's turning people off for all kinds of reasons. If $30k has a surplus, then take lithuain's advice and not only re-invest it in the product, but declare that surplus publicly. Hell, take a vote from your backers as to how to use the money (probably more DiveKick merch). Be up front about it.

If you need people to test the game for you, you have ALL OF SRK to ask. Just think about the dozens of people who were at tournaments who not only happily tested your game, but paid you to do so. I also highly doubt that everybody on SRK has the same kind of computer. If you just make a thread in the tech forum, post up the kinds of machines you need coverage on, and show the progress right on the thread you could probably get the job done in a week. Then give the people who have helped you DiveKick pins or something for their efforts (paid for via your KickStarter).

I thought we were clear that any money not spent on those needs would be spent making the game better. If we were not, please let me know so I can make it more clear. We will definitely be very upfront with people about all of this. It almost seems like being up front about it now is making people upset, though.
    I got your back. backin' with 100 bucks, let's bring this game to the world.
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,081 admin
    You have my axe. I also sent some money your way:
    * http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/995085580/bring-divekick-to-pc

Good luck. I'm looking forward to trying it out at Evo. :tup:

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

Thank you so much Densuo and Preppy! Cant wait to see you guys play.
  • Mr. StrangeMr. Strange Joined: Posts: 59
    One thing Divekick has going for it - you can play it 2p pretty well with just a keyboard. That's accessibility! You've got my money.
  • TeyahTeyah Return of the Dragon Joined: Posts: 1,125
    Not only this, but another Steam developer that I know (who has six games currently on the marketplace) states that there are
    no QA or certification fees for Steam nor any official processes for submission, other than dealing with the tech contact you are assigned and ensuring that your build runs on their machine. This developer also wrote the netcode for one of these games single-handedly, and said that it definitely shouldn't be costing 10k to add netplay to a game.
    I see in frames IRL
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,496 mod
    Depends. How much is a license for using GGPO in a commercial game?
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    Licensing good netcode and then implimenting it and testing it in your game is suddenly free? Wont cost 10k?

The advice I'm getting is pretty clear that we will have to spend on hardware QA, but if we do not, that money will definitely be spent elsewhere improving the game (animation, characters, netplay, story).

If you don't want to support, thats cool. I hope you at least gave the game a try at EVO or will give it a try at another show or when it is finished and released. Huge thanks go out to anyone supporting us in trying to make the best game possible.
  • DarkBlade77DarkBlade77 Joined: Posts: 203
    http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

If you end up going this route you've already got my vote; good luck!
  • Pimp WillyPimp Willy "I guarantee we got a rat in the house!" Joined: Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

If you end up going this route you've already got my vote; good luck!

I came here to suggest the same thing

e$ports
    FC: 0018-4935-1331
    Woooo just under 3k to go. leggoooo
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    No offense, not trying to troll. But why not just do the game in Flash? Unless you're planning on online play I really doubt that this project is that technically advanced.

To me this kickstarter comes off as funding towards Evo or other projects because I can guarantee you that serious programmers would laugh at this project costing $30K. Pretty much anyone could make this kind of game, probably take them a little longer since they'd be doing this in their free time but unless you're planning on doing something amazing I don't see how this costs $30K.
    STOMP!
  • SynraiiSynraii Inputs ultra, gets EX DP. Joined: Posts: 37
    $30K for the lawsuit capcom/marvel files on the wolverine pardoy for out trolling the company. Calling it now.
    /troll.
    tumblr_llovsxOpLl1qeao5no1_500.png
    No offense, not trying to troll. But why not just do the game in Flash? Unless you're planning on online play I really doubt that this project is that technically advanced.

To me this kickstarter comes off as funding towards Evo or other projects because I can guarantee you that serious programmers would laugh at this project costing $30K. Pretty much anyone could make this kind of game, probably take them a little longer since they'd be doing this in their free time but unless you're planning on doing something amazing I don't see how this costs $30K.

Revisit this when the game is done and see what you think then.

Many "serious programmers" have said this would cost more or less than 30k, depending on their assumptions, experience, and positions.
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    I'll certainly give you the benefit of the doubt, but I remain skeptical.
    STOMP!
  • yomipoweryomipower not a legendary game designer Joined: Posts: 1,167
    This game seemed a lot more fun before it went all commercial and into a "real thing"
    Yomi, which is the Japanese word for the underworld. Also a brand of vitamins for children.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 23,062
    This game seemed a lot more fun before it went all commercial and into a "real thing"
    hipster
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • yomipoweryomipower not a legendary game designer Joined: Posts: 1,167
    I know, right?
    Yomi, which is the Japanese word for the underworld. Also a brand of vitamins for children.
  • HogoshaHogosha SHUT UP AND TAKE MY GEMS. Joined: Posts: 1,217
    Thanks for all the help guys! Enjoy the new character announcement for now.
  • RegularjoeRegularjoe ... Joined: Posts: 11