Hardest Characters To Use?

REPTILE 0009REPTILE 0009 Joined: Posts: 83
Which characters in UMVC3 are the hardest to use? I’m talking in terms of accessibility, execution requirements, reliance on team synergy and assists, and just all around usability in an online or mid-level match.

Comments

• <Insert Name Here>&lt;Insert Name Here&gt; Gotta knock a little harder Joined: Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say Chun-Li.
    UMvC3: M.O.D.O.K./Doctor Doom/Dante, M.O.D.O.K./Frank West/Dante? || BBCP: Relius
    Give me attention: @ LaziestNameEver
    PSN: Laziest_ID_Ever (I don't really play online)
  • AdusAdus Joined: Posts: 41
    MODOK, Spidey, Felicia, Jill, C. Viper, Rocket Raccoon, etc.
    Skullgirls: Cerebella/Peacock/Parasoul
    UMvC3: Chris/Haggar/Spencer, Spidey/Deadpool/Shuma, Nova/Deadpool/Strange
    Injustice: Wonder Woman, Lex Luthor, Joker, Aquaman
  • Spartan_ThroneSpartan_Throne Iron Fist dabes Joined: Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭
    Iron Fist. Don't even bother.
    UMVC3 - Mags/Dorm/Doom ~ Wolv/Dorm/[Fist/Akuma/Doom]
  • MetaSkipperMetaSkipper Pikachu used Surf! Joined: Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Wright's up there.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
    Freudian Cross-Up: When you block one way but get hit on your mother's side.
    UMvC3: Phoenix Wright/Frank West/Akuma Haggar/Spencer/Frank West Spencer/Haggar/Akuma
    SFIV: Zangief Hakan El Fuerte Abel Guile
  • Soviet AfroSoviet Afro Dead(?) Joined: Posts: 874
    MODOK
    Viper
    Raccon
    Iron Fist
    Phoenix Wright
    Marvel 3 teams Magneto/Dante/Vergil Magneto/Dormammu/Dante Magneto/Doom/Vergil
  • JTPlaya1029JTPlaya1029 Iron Avenger Joined: Posts: 98
    C. Viper
    Iron Fist
    Pheonix Wright
    LAST NAME 'EVER' FIRST NAME 'GREATEST"
    UMvC3: Wolvie/ Ghost Rider/ Sentinel
    SSF4AE: Adon
    SFxT: Ken/Rolento
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 "Is it Mewtwo?"™ Joined: Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • maziodynemaziodyne I'll crush you in one strike! Joined: Posts: 7,564
    C.Viper
    MODOK
    Dr. Strange
    Jill
    Chun-Li
    Phoenix Wright
    Iron Man
    Magneto (can't just derp around with tridashes, mobility HAS to be on point otherwise dead Magnus)
    Rocket Raccoon

Not sure about Spidey but these are the ones off the top of my head atm.
    Retired Mahvel scrub.
  • Evil-Bart2k11Evil-Bart2k11 Bring home the bacon! Joined: Posts: 239
    Wright, Jill, Viper & Rocket Raccoon.

For me, these are the hardest to learn.
    "That was Deadpoolicious, in case you're wondering, that's my new word for awesomeness."
    SSF4AE - Honda/Akuma l UMvC3 - Super-Skrull/Frank West/Akuma/Deadpool - l MK9 - Raiden
    SFA3 - Honda/Akuma l SFxT - Akuma/King/Hwoarang/Xiaoyu/Pac-Man l SSBM - Dr. Mario/Mario
    STHDR - Honda l TTT2 - King/Ganryu/Xiaoyu/Hwoarang l SFA2 - Akuma l IJ:GAU - Deathstroke
  • YawDanYawDan Joined: Posts: 536 ✭✭
    Zero, MODOK, Phoenix Wright, Doctor Strange, Strider (when he's not an anchor)
    "This was not srk. It should not be lower than gfaqs in terms of fighting game talk, but it is. That's all because of the outbreak of girly men, which is really the fault of atheism." Cisco, UMVC3 tierlist discussion, pg 333.
  • SKOOKASTARSKOOKASTAR Joined: Posts: 34
    lol no one even remembers hsien-ko anymore
  • Kanta-KunKanta-Kun Magnudisto... BLAAAAAAAST Joined: Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭✭
    Wesker

2169924-kappa.png
    "I think the game should punch you in the face every time you pick Nova." -ShadyK
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef STEEL THY BUTT! Joined: Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what this "Hsien-Ko" is... But it sounds dissapointing.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
  • HonzogonzoHonzogonzo fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Joined: Posts: 3,302
    taskmaster is hardest to use, if they block against you you auto lose, bottom 5 char imo
    http://www.justin.tv/honzo_gonzo
    follow me on twitter @honzogonzo
    youtube: youtube.com/thewasteofflesh
    facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Honzo-vs-Marvel/254784834545478
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Joined: Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭
    Rocket Racoon, MODOK, Shuma, Chun-Li, Phoenix Wright, and "Bright" Phoenix.

Hsien-Ko isn't hard to learn. That would imply that there is something useful to learn.
    EDIT: Hsien-Ko is a reverse Chuck Norris. She doesn't fight, you simply allow her to lose.
    [quote="just5moreminutes;8594904"][b]"By the end of 2014, the Marvel community will be dead. People will still play it in casuals, since the game has that factor to it, but the release of newer, shiner, readily available anime fighters will rip the spotlight off Marvel entirely."[/b][/quote]
  • PongBoomPongBoom land of ice and snow Joined: Posts: 707
    taskmaster is hardest to use, if they block against you you auto lose, bottom 5 char imo

the character with an unblockable has trouble against blocking.
    Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    -Winston Churchill
  • Rin TezukaRin Tezuka Forever Low Tier Joined: Posts: 53

I'm fairly certain I'm the only person who still uses her online anymore.
    PSASBR: Sir Daniel, Toro, Parappa, Sackboy
    TTT2: Alisa, Lili
    SG: Peacock, Double
    MK9: Ermac, Kabal
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Quantum Theorist. Liquid Dubstep Energy Joined: Posts: 33,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hulk is hard to use.
    Ready for first KI at Evo 2k14 SRK'S DAY ONE XBOX ONE/KILLER INSTINCT OWNERS: DevilJin01(GLACIUS, FULGORE, SADIRA maybe Orchid), Purbeast, Koop, Rcaido, FlyingVe, Eiroheart, Onyx, Mayonaka, Lulipe, iluspook, Ultimaotaku, Rekano, Churrasco, DIEK STIEKEM ------- XBL: TheoryJin PSN: PervyJin01
  • ErenEren Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 13,388 mod
    PW
    Viper
    Iron Man
    Iron Fist
    Tron
    Hsien-Ko
    X23
    Chun-li
    Rocket Raccoon
    She Hulk
    http://psnprofiles.com/ephidel
    twitter.com/ephi_tk
    2k2 member
  • Mr. UnbrockableMr. Unbrockable I like Thomas the Tank Engine Joined: Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭✭
    Wesker

2169924-kappa.png
    explain this face to me.
    I don't get it.
    Rattle Rattle thunder clatter boom boom boom
  • EmilEmil Joined: Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭
    I'd say Firebrand requires a lot of skill to control him properly, especially in the air.
    KoF97 - Chizuru/Yamazaki/Choi | KoF98 - Chizuru/Iori/Kyo/O.Chris | KoF2k2 - Kim/Whip/Athena/Choi |
    Kof13 - Duolon/Kim/Shen Woo | UMVC3 - Morrigan/Doom/Magneto | P4U - Shadow Labrys | SFxT - Lili/Xiaoyu |
    GGXXAC - DIZZY
  • lawlHTlawlHT youtube player Joined: Posts: 535
    I'd say Firebrand requires a lot of skill to control him properly, especially in the air.

lol no. Firebrand is fraud-friendly as can be. trust me, i have basically zero execution and i have no trouble at all moving around in the air.
    PSN: lawlHT
    UMVC3: Frauderbrand/Super Skrub/Trollmaster -currently learning: Dante, Dormammu-
    P4 Arena: Mitsuru, Labrys - Skullgirls: Filia - SSF4:AE2012: Sakura
  • EmilEmil Joined: Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭
    lol no. Firebrand is fraud-friendly as can be. trust me, i have basically zero execution and i have no trouble at all moving around in the air.

Playing Firebrand like a fraud doesn't mean that's how he's supposed to be played.
    KoF97 - Chizuru/Yamazaki/Choi | KoF98 - Chizuru/Iori/Kyo/O.Chris | KoF2k2 - Kim/Whip/Athena/Choi |
    Kof13 - Duolon/Kim/Shen Woo | UMVC3 - Morrigan/Doom/Magneto | P4U - Shadow Labrys | SFxT - Lili/Xiaoyu |
    GGXXAC - DIZZY
    Playing Firebrand like a fraud doesn't mean that's how he's supposed to be played.

I played Zak Bennett in my first tournament match ever last week, and I can wholeheartedly say HE IS FRAUD-FRIENDLY AS HECK! Lol, I'm playing, Firebrand isn't as capable in the air as some of the other characters, but he's got a 4-frame standing light which he can rapid press. And if you give him a lock down assist such as the cold star or tenderizer, he can use his airborne unblockable to open the opponent up. As I found out first hand lol
    "This was not srk. It should not be lower than gfaqs in terms of fighting game talk, but it is. That's all because of the outbreak of girly men, which is really the fault of atheism." Cisco, UMVC3 tierlist discussion, pg 333.
  • lawlHTlawlHT youtube player Joined: Posts: 535

there is no secret to his air mobility. qcb m for forward, qcb h for backward. and regardless of how fraudulent i play him, he is not, by any means whatsoever, a difficult character to play.
    PSN: lawlHT
    UMVC3: Frauderbrand/Super Skrub/Trollmaster -currently learning: Dante, Dormammu-
    P4 Arena: Mitsuru, Labrys - Skullgirls: Filia - SSF4:AE2012: Sakura
  • Smoothjazz101Smoothjazz101 Joined: Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭
    I played Zak Bennett in my first tournament match ever last week, and I can wholeheartedly say HE IS FRAUD-FRIENDLY AS HECK! Lol, I'm playing, Firebrand isn't as capable in the air as some of the other characters, but he's got a 4-frame standing light which he can rapid press. And if you give him a lock down assist such as the cold star or tenderizer, he can use his airborne unblockable to open the opponent up. As I found out first hand lol
    He also has a move that leads to a free easy mode corner combo, that is +10 on block.
    flagged as spam
  • ViolentDjangoViolentDjango KEEP CALM and EWGF Joined: Posts: 1,170
    explain this face to me.
    I don't get it.

Trying not to laugh.
    [SIZE=14px]SFxTK: Lars/Kazuya, Bryan/Marduk | P4U: Undecided | BBCS: Valkenhayn[/SIZE]
    Fundamentals: [OO~~~] | Theory: [OOOO~] | Execution: [OO~~~] | Beast Mode: [OO~~~]
    Check out my Nerd Dating/Life Advice Blog: www.AskGeekLink.com
  • RavenPawRavenPaw I am not nice, so fuck off Joined: Posts: 14
    i won't say c.viper, or Firebrand are hard to use.
    In my opinion the top 16 characters in no specific order to play as are:
    1. Modok
    2. Chun-li
    3. Mr. Wright
    4. Amy(glaive)
    5. She-hulk
    6. Ironfist
    7. Storm
    8. spiderman
    9. Dr. Doom(execution are above most characters)
    10. Dr. Strange(sorta)
    11. Magneto
    12. Dante
    13. Frank(lvl 1)
    14. viewful joe
    15. spencer
    16. Chris Redfield
  • KorbidonKorbidon For justice. Joined: Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doom? My execution sucks, and I can do Doom combos. Doom is easy mode.

Same with Firebrand. The issue with Firebrand isn't execution, it's that he does no damage.

Chunners, Modok, Viper and Spidey though are beyond me :(
  • Mr. UnbrockableMr. Unbrockable I like Thomas the Tank Engine Joined: Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭✭
    Trying not to laugh.
    Oh that makes sense. Thank you I am now one point wiser in the knowledge of SRK
    Rattle Rattle thunder clatter boom boom boom
  • tick_tocktick_tock Joined: Posts: 653
    When you say hard I'm going to reply as if by hard you mean the toughest to maximize potential (not who is tough bc they are bad characters).

Out of the characters I have real familiarity with I'm going to say x23. You need magic fingers to excel with her. Mirage feint cancels need to be performed extremely fast and you will pay with your characters life when you mess up. But, if you are feeling yourself in a match with her pressure can be relentless.

Oh and I should add she doesn't have the high priority moves that other characters do which make here particularly challenging. When a fully charged slicer trades with some of the higher ranks normals you really need to be on top of your game.
  • LeonHeartLeonHeart True Patriot Joined: Posts: 135
    Viper.
    I have no choice but to pretend I am a soldier who knows no fear.
    PSN: ScanVisor (<--Top-tier theory fighter.)
    UMvC3: Captain America with various, often counter-picked assists.
    Poverty Games (GGPO and Supercade)
  • _Hamsworth__Hamsworth_ Stand-User Joined: Posts: 83
    The reason why Firebrand is hard to play is not his combos (which are piss easy), it's the awkward nature of his command dashes. It's very easy to make a Firebrand player commit to something unsafe if you know what you're doing. Something as simple as crossing him up while he is in SJ height (with a teleport for example) can have disastrous consequences and leave him doing a fireball or dashing in the wrong direction. He also has a hard time dealing with characters with big extendable hitboxes and invincible moves due to his short range normals (they're very good in other ways though). He also has no invincible moves for himself and despite his excellent escaping abilities in neutral, if someone is in on him, it can be hard to shake them.

You CAN play him quite fraudulently, and I am pretty fraudulent myself but I think that the character has a fairly high ceiling and punishes you to a greater extent for making mistakes than some more forgiving characters

His neutral game takes a lot of work, despite the fact that he does have Bon Voyage which is pretty braindead. Also, a lot of his set-ups have to expertly timed and spaced in order to stay safe, I think Capcom did a good job of balancing how hard it is to successfully pull of an almost inescapable unblockable/guard break.
  • DreizeDreize How quaint... Joined: Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭
    i won't say c.viper, or Firebrand are hard to use.
    In my opinion the top 16 characters in no specific order to play as are:
    1. Modok
    2. Chun-li
    3. Mr. Wright
    4. Amy(glaive)
    5. She-hulk
    6. Ironfist
    7. Storm
    8. spiderman
    9. Dr. Doom(execution are above most characters)
    10. Dr. Strange(sorta)
    11. Magneto
    12. Dante
    13. Frank(lvl 1)
    14. viewful joe
    15. spencer
    16. Chris Redfield

No Iron Man on that list? I'd personally say that Chun-li is the hardest.
  • masuhdunkillyallmasuhdunkillyall Show me your moves! Joined: Posts: 123
    everyone forgets about shuma. seriously, fucking shuma. I challenge anyone to pull off his basic mystic stare combos either offline or online. With him, I'd say modok, iron fist, chun, RR, wright and to an extent spider man and jill. I've tried to train with all of them and also messed around with a few and they take the top of my list. Oh and iron man for just being awkward at times.

Also, as a Joe mainer I really don't feel he is that hard to play. Sure its different than most, but not too hard
    Shuma/Dorm/Hawkeye
    Joe/Doom/Hawkeye

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • MenethilMenethil Joined: Posts: 13
    For me:

Chun Li
    Iron Man
    Rocket Raccoon
    Phoenix
    Phoenix Wright
    Magneto
    Spider-Man
    M.O.D.O.K
    Chris Redfield

These are the characters that I cannot get the hang of. I either lack in combos, or in mobility, or in Chris' case I lack the ability to properly zone.
  • DapuffsterDapuffster Joined: Posts: 135
    I don't understand why most people think Rocket Raccoon is hard to use. Most of his BnB's include magic series -> s, air ms, bear trap, log trap, rock 'n' roll. He can also create his own unblockable with boulder trap, spamming log trap from a distance is relativly safe, and with a beam assist he has easy teleport mixups.
  • Smoothjazz101Smoothjazz101 Joined: Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why most people think Rocket Raccoon is hard to use. Most of his BnB's include magic series -> s, air ms, bear trap, log trap, rock 'n' roll. He can also create his own unblockable with boulder trap, spamming log trap from a distance is relativly safe, and with a beam assist he has easy teleport mixups.
    Which does diddly squat damage, and why PR Rog and Kusoru go for the boulder loop combo, which they usually drop because it is fucking hard as nails and to a certain extent character specific. Also, his traps are destroyed by opponents attacks, meaning they can ignore your unblockable boulder trap and just go in.
    flagged as spam
  • DapuffsterDapuffster Joined: Posts: 135
    Which does diddly squat damage, and why PR Rog and Kusoru go for the boulder loop combo, which they usually drop because it is fucking hard as nails and to a certain extent character specific. Also, his traps are destroyed by opponents attacks, meaning they can ignore your unblockable boulder trap and just go in.

I use Wesker's OTG assist and with that alone I can do alot of damage with Rocky's combos. Using 1 bar I can get 650k Mid Screen, 700k in Corner, 700k off of a Log Trap. All of these easy BnBs for me. 700K for 1 bar does not sound like diddly squat damage. Not to mention he has plenty of reset options with his traps.

Also, while the boulder trap does go away if he gets hit, the opponent can't risk it because if Rocky blocks it which he most likely will, then they get hit by the boulder trap and he goes in for a combo. Seriously, I'll lay down a bouldertrap while they're in blockstun from my magic series attacks and then sit there blocking while they're blocking. If they don't move, I'll use my low attack just as the boulder is about to hit them. And if they do move, I block their attacks and then they get hit by the boulder which leads into a full unscaled combo. That alone makes it easier for me to get combos on my opponent.

Also I forgot to mention Rocky has his Mad Hopper Super which is basically his "Get out of Jail Free" card. Due to his huge size and the fact that it stays out there for a while. It gets his opponent off of him and he can set up a mixup on the opponent while he's safe. It also makes for a great DHC in or out. Not many characters have the luxury of a special like that.
  • EnDaNickofTimeEnDaNickofTime Joined: Posts: 731 ✭✭✭
    The hardest character that nets the most damage out of obnoxiously hard characters..... Shuma... Basic charge combos are retarded.... Theory Viper comes a close second because of her canceling thingy, zero lightning loop is up there, CHun is above them tho, fast charge combos are much easier than slow, obnoxious, spacing-dependent 5 min shuma combos. What makes shuma combos so difficult, is he has no solid hit confirms, they are all stupidly wonky and easy to drop.... Modok isn't as difficult as people believe, its just his awkward movement. Theory Jill could be up there too, 8 million mixups for days....boulder loop with rocket raccoon is ridiculous...
  • MenethilMenethil Joined: Posts: 13
    I use Wesker's OTG assist....
    RR requires assists to milk the most out of his combos, and Wesker might give him 650/700k, but Wesker would also give people like Haggar, Hulk, and plenty of other characters somewhere around 800k+, which is higher than RR. Also, the hitstun RR causes is so god damn small that you need to practice for a couple hours just to do ground magic series, air Mx2, air S. Plus, using Bear Trap in combos has a good chance of not bouncing properly if your new to the character. I've played him for a good amount of time and still can't land it 100% of the time.

Plus, Boulder loop is one of, if not the hardest, loops in the game. Anybody new to the game or even somebody who has been playing for a while will probably have a hard time with this character.
  • GameHovaGameHova O.N.I.F.C. Joined: Posts: 558
    I'm playing them with shit execution Ironman, strange, morrigan
    IRONMAN/DORMAMMU/STRANGE
  • Huggy BearHuggy Bear Scoops Häagen-Dazs® Joined: Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭
    Magnus' Magblast loops make me rage so god damn hard.
    Logan / Spencer / Gouki

• FuLLBLeeDFuLLBLeeD fartboner Joined: Posts: 2,129
  • Onslaught XOnslaught X Fear, actualizes true strength. Joined: Posts: 915
    Vergil, Wesker and Wolverine.
    Uh, Wesker? Seriously?

If anyone said anything other than MODOK then I am dissapoint.
  • mertalizemertalize Disruptor! Disruptor! Disruptor! Joined: Posts: 13
    the character with an unblockable has trouble against blocking.

win comeback. good one, I was thinking about that.
    he
    Uh, Wesker? Seriously?

If anyone said anything other than MODOK then I am dissapoint.

Lol he was joking (trolling?)
  • Onslaught XOnslaught X Fear, actualizes true strength. Joined: Posts: 915
    he

Lol he was joking (trolling?)
    I now realize that looking back..

Shit. x_x
  • Natureboy477Natureboy477 Joined: Posts: 149
    People seem to think low tier=/=hard to use. X-23 is easy as hell to use. Maybe not her optimal stuff, but I can get in two reps on a mirage feint combo for decent damage. Modok isn't hard to learn either. Corner combos take maybe ten minutes to learn, and midscreen combo is magic series otg s air magic series. Cube loops are about as easy as doing MnMs with Doom. Movement is relatively easy as well (in theory). Chun Li isn't hard to learn either. IAD OTG is in no way hard. Ex lightning legs loop isn't TOO difficult. People who say Shuma Gorath is hard to learn are just Shuma mains who wish for some respect. Jump canceling+holding back during a combo doesn't make it hard.
    ^of course, that's just my opinion

Tbh, I think Viper is hardest to learn. Her combos aren't really difficult to learn, it's her movement/tech that make her difficult to play. Rapid seismos take a while to learn (the proper way, not that braindead stuff). Viper Ball takes a good while to learn (as in learn how and WHEN to do it). Canceling focus attack into ex seismo isn't hard to learn, but it's not something people are used too doing.

Rocket Raccoon is pretty hard to use as well. Boulder trap is one of the things in this game I can't get to work for me often.
    Modok isn't hard to learn either. Corner combos take maybe ten minutes to learn, and midscreen combo is magic series otg s air magic series. Cube loops are about as easy as doing MnMs with Doom. Movement is relatively easy as well (in theory).

Tbh, I think Viper is hardest to learn. Her combos aren't really difficult to learn, it's her movement/tech that make her difficult to play. Rapid seismos take a while to learn (the proper way, not that braindead stuff). Viper Ball takes a good while to learn (as in learn how and WHEN to do it). Canceling focus attack into ex seismo isn't hard to learn, but it's not something people are used too doing.

I'm sorry, I had to come back to this. How can anyone say Viper is harder to learn than MODOK, and that her movement is easier that MODOK? Viper can actually walk! She has an air-dash, which is quite fast, and gives her good pressure, even though air-dashing was meant to be nerfed. Modok on the other hand can't even walk. And his 'movement' is really slow. It's easier to get in with Viper than MODOK.

And at least you can say Viper has braindead stuff! Viper ball and rapid seismo's may not be easy, but they aren't the core of her play- her normal magic series is as simple as anyone's. You can even cancel her thunder knuckle now, so she can do even more damage. Even if you say the cube loops are relatively simpler, getting MODOK into a situation where he can do his magic series, let alone the cube loops takes extreme effort!.

It's harder to learn how to use MODOK effectively than it is to use Viper effectively. And I'm talking from experience of using both characters.