Injustice: Gods Among Us; New Game by NetherRealm Studios

HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノJoined: Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in Injustice
injusticebanner.png

http://shoryuken.com/2012/05/31/netherrealm-studios-reveals-injustice-gods-among-us-a-new-fighting-game-based-on-the-dc-comics-universe/
WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES

Injustice: Gods Among Us

New Fighting Game Franchise from the Makers of Award-Winning Mortal Kombat Franchise Revealed

BURBANK, Calif. – May 31, 2012 – What if our greatest heroes became our greatest threat? Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today announced Injustice: Gods Among Us, an all-new game in development by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, creators of the definitive fighting game franchise Mortal Kombat. The game is scheduled for release in 2013 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and the Wii U™ system from Nintendo.

Injustice: Gods Among Us debuts as a bold new fighting game franchise that introduces a deep, original story featuring a large cast of favorite DC Comics icons such as Batman, Harley Quinn, Solomon Grundy, Superman, The Flash, Wonder Woman and many others. Set in a world where the lines between good and evil are blurred, players will experience heroes and villains engaging in epic battles on a massive scale.

“With Injustice: Gods Among Us, we are creating an all-new franchise with incredible battles set in the DC Comics Universe,” said Martin Tremblay, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “NetherRealm Studios is the extremely talented team behind the latest Mortal Kombat hit and it is developing a game unlike any other in the fighting genre.”

“We can’t wait to reveal Injustice: Gods Among Us because it will give our fans and gamers an epic experience as they battle like gods as their favorite DC Comics villains and heroes,” said Ed Boon, Creative Director, NetherRealm Studios. “Our team is excited to make a fighting game that is filled with fast-paced action, incredible story-telling and iconic DC Comics characters.”

For more information, visit www.injustice.com.

well, im making the thread for this game, since no one has posted it here yet
Post edited by Valaris on
( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
( •_•)>⌐■-■
IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
"Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
( •_•)
( ಠ_ಠ)
( ಥ_ಥ)

Comments

• M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭
    Looks like they updated MKvDC to the MK9 engine.

Maybe we'll get a crossover MK character.
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
  • IlthuainIlthuain Lost in a labyrinth of egoism Joined: Posts: 402
    It looks awesome.

TIME FOR SOME BASELESS SPECULATION!

- It looks 2d
    - I'm guessing those highly cinematic moves (punching into space) are supers
    - The stages are interactive
    "They took three locks of her yellow hair; Lay the bairn tae the bonnie broom
    And wi' them strung that harp so rare; Fa la la la la la la la la la"
    -Old Blind Dogs
  • SolderSolder Aspires for Mid-Tier Joined: Posts: 1,339
    Batman can kick Soloman Grundy a quarter mile through a building now?

Calling it now, this is going to be as gimmicky a fighter as it gets.

Power classes vs. Gadget classes with hybrids was what Boon had to say in his interview. Hopefully it gets more fleshed out.
    XBL: Girls N Corpses

Canada Cup 2011- 8/95 Never Forget
  • quicksquicks Joined: Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭
    tbh a dc universe needs a much more fast paced game than the mk engine

I'm very very disappointmented
  • Kusanagi02Kusanagi02 Joined: Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭
    They should really consider doing a DC fighting game in vein to what MvC3 is. I think a 2D setting could provide a fresher take than making a MK vs. DC 2.0 game again.
  • ironboy89ironboy89 Beep Boop Beep Joined: Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭
    It's probably going to be MKvsDC, but with a better engine using MK9's engine.

It reminds me of this.

Granted it might not be 3D, but I seriously doubt it's going to be a competitive fighter.
  • mega_bustermega_buster Joined: Posts: 811 ✭✭✭
    dat umvc3 intro
    Mainly plays:UMvC3,SF4AE,GG+R
    Waiting for...BBCP

It reminds me of this.

Granted it might not be 3D, but I seriously doubt it's going to be a competitive fighter.

My thoughts exactly. It's gonna end up Rise of the Imperfects cut with MKvsDC.

And as disillusioned as I am with Capcom currently, I really think going "edgy" and "Mortal Kombat" style for their characters isn't going to help this commercially. Going full on comic / cartoon styling would appeal to more people IMO.

Sigh, why oh why can't Capcom or a good company just pony up and get the rights to Marvel vs DC? Split the costs and profits 3 ways and everyone would win huge on the biggest crossover ever. It'd have people buying it who never play fighters, and people buying it just because they're comic fans.

And seriously, if they're gonna rip off UMvC3, rip off the art style (even if I do hate 2.5d) or the engine, not just the cinematic.

So sad. I'd love a good fighter with the DCU involved.

• GorehoundGorehound Awesome, Awesome to the Max! Joined: Posts: 2,266 ✭✭
    Batman can kick Soloman Grundy a quarter mile through a building now?

Calling it now, this is going to be as gimmicky a fighter as it gets.

Power classes vs. Gadget classes with hybrids was what Boon had to say in his interview. Hopefully it gets more fleshed out.

No different than the Marvel Vs series in being gimmicky. How can a street fighter or RE regular human character beat characters with the powers of a God!

NRS will be ashame of themselves if they don't put in Power Girl!
    UMvC3: She-Hulk/Iron Fist/Firebrand/Hawkeye/Taskmaster
    LoL: Fizz/Akali/LeBlanc/Fiora/Irelia/Vayne/Caitlyn/Shyvana/Nautilus/Volibear
    MK9: Kabal, Reptile, Sindel, Kitana, Freddy Krueger
    SSF4AE2012: Dictator, Rufus, Chun Li, C. Viper
    I still think MK9 is a game in the right direction, so I hope they just keep on messing with MK9's engine.

It's seriously the closest thing to be a decent fighter.
    No different than the Marvel Vs series in being gimmicky. How can a street fighter or RE regular human character beat characters with the powers of a God!

This is where the art style of a game is a big deal though. If you're going for a realistic look like this game clearly is, is ridiculous over the top stuff like that from a character like Batman a good idea?

He's the apex of human potential in strategy and martial arts... I get it. But delivering a Lui Kang rising kick that throws a monster a quarter mile through a building just looks fucking dumb to me.

If it's just going to be over the top stuff, do it in a comic styled animation IMO, if for no other reason than to pay homage to the characters. But edgy is what's in (or so NRS thinks) so that's what they're gonna get.

I do hope this ends up being a good game, but hopefully there's more steak than sizzle. It really depends on what they do with the environments I guess. I'll keep an eye out for info on this, but I'm not holding my breath that it'll end up a competitive game by any stretch.

• truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    They should really consider doing a DC fighting game in vein to what MvC3 is. I think a 2D setting could provide a fresher take than making a MK vs. DC 2.0 game again.
    Ewww why? Marvel clone is fresh?
    Ewww why? Marvel clone is fresh?
    Fresh in terms of the animation style and such. Hence why i feel it should be 2D instead of 3D if they're going over the top with it.
    But edgy is what's in (or so NRS thinks) so that's what they're gonna get.

...or so DC thinks, and they're right. Gritty superheroes sell, and I've had enough of the cartoony fighting games. We have SF, Marvel, BB, KoF, GG, (insert anime inspired game here), Skullgirls... do we really need everything to look the same?
    -Old Blind Dogs
  • tatakitataki Non-SF4/MVC3 FG news: twitter.com/#!/novriltataki Joined: Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they updated MKvDC to the MK9 engine.

You guys are really uninformed.
    MK9's engine IS the MKvsDC engine. The infamous input bug which cannot be fixed isn't a "MK9" problem but a problem from MKvsDC that moved along into MK9.

So you want their new games to use a brand new engine, not the MK9 one. (I doubt that will happen though)
    ...or so DC thinks, and they're right. Gritty superheroes sell, and I've had enough of the cartoony fighting games. We have SF, Marvel, BB, KoF, GG, (insert anime inspired game here), Skullgirls... do we really need everything to look the same?
    NRS's clunky animations are more cartoony and ridiculous than anything on your list.
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
    Those "cartoony" fighting games would be to DC's benefit to try out rather than going all out edgy with it. The trailer was bland as hell and came off again too much like MK vs. DC.
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge FEAR MY WRATH Joined: Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Batman looks like a damn G'.
    With the power I have attained....  Overwhelming and absolute.
  • Monster637Monster637 Rage Trigger Joined: Posts: 1,069 ✭✭
    this game will out sell Marvel and Sf x tekken and be a fun gimick game.........because casuals will get there moneys worth and they know it and NRS has there trust.......Mk vs dc sold alot of copies for a game people shit on and created the story formula that brings in 4-5 times the sales of games with better fight systems that made mk9 a sales success
    Sent From under Your bed......Using Your MOM!!!
    Those "cartoony" fighting games would be to DC's benefit to try out rather than going all out edgy with it. The trailer was bland as hell and came off again too much like MK vs. DC.

Why? So they could follow in the path of MvC's tepid sales?

"Hey guys, this other similar product with a cartoon style sold poorly and gritty games sell well... so let's make a cartoon style game and hope we can change the trend!"
    -Old Blind Dogs
  • xesxes Evil Forrest Gump Joined: Posts: 2,528

I dunno, its distinctive, and I kind of think the problem is just that it's too different from what we're used to seeing in fighting games.

I myself am really looking forward to this, NRS seem to be the only people out there right now who can actually make a godamn game (maybe Namco).

Plus its a totally new series, which I fuckin' crave!
  • Shadow AceShadow Ace ?????????????? Joined: Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in before to many batman characters...but seriously I wouldnt be surprised if robin AND nightwing make it in along with catwoman or some other villian...

STATIC...COME ON YO..ADD HIM
    Once Known as Shadow Ace 50
    Chaos Control a hoe
    "the greatest weapon one can bring to a fight is his own mind" -L.Luther

"Hey guys, this other similar product with a cartoon style sold poorly and gritty games sell well... so let's make a cartoon style game and hope we can change the trend!"
    yer because the art style was the reason why the game didn't break records right

not the on disk dlc,lack of lobbies,lack of story,lack of modes

it was all the style

this game will sell well based on it will have all that good stuff that casual gamers care about

will it actually be a good game though? prob not
  • HavatchuHavatchu Joined: Posts: 4,734
    This could be cool.

So are these the Injustice Friends?

You know I'm playin' with Barry Allen.
    Insanity is freedom
    The moment I fell in love with specs- "I believe in the Beyblader philosophy, for I am one who Beyblades."
    Shaft's posts are canon.
    MK vs DC would have been fine and still is with out the mini games to break up the flow of the match

Because the art style would help in conveying the over the top nature of the game. I'm not believing for a second that Batman could kick the shit out Solomon Grundy in that trailer but if you were to show that same fight in the context of say a MvC3 type of gameplay and 2D art style, I'd be all over it.
  • ShigShig Joined: Posts: 459
    If you guys remember some of the old MK9 trailers Jhonny Cage's X-ray was completely different, Scorpion and Kano used to have identical throws, Sub-zero's x-ray was a full-screen ground freeze, among other things that were there as placeholders for trailers or beta builds, so there's a chance that Batman won't kick people through building in the final version.
    Also, I MUST be able to play as Darkseid, dude is awesome.
    Insanity is freedom
    The moment I fell in love with specs- "I believe in the Beyblader philosophy, for I am one who Beyblades."
    Shaft's posts are canon.
  • AYO?!AYO?! Fight for Mutantkind Joined: Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks fun, I have faith in the team after MK9 and love all things DC, as long as the interactive segments aren't overdone I'll be happy.

Yes somehow I am not bitching about this, really weird...
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.

this game will sell well based on it will have all that good stuff that casual gamers care about

It will be a good game im sure. for SRK EVO competition doubt it and i really think they dont care, which im cool with .......Will it be unbalanced and have Op and cheap chars and glitches to exploit and they leave them in after maybee a patch or 2 im sure it will.........will they all have the same uppercutt and jumping in kick since mk1 is what im buying this game to see ,,,,,to BLOW my mind if they actually figured out everyone having the same moves is old and of course the loved dail o combo system
    yer because the art style was the reason why the game didn't break records right

not the on disk dlc,lack of lobbies,lack of story,lack of modes

it was all the style

First, I didn't say that the art style was what hurt the game's sales (although, I suspect it did because the target demo likes grit), I was responding to the claim that going gritty will hurt Injustice. If sales of other media is any indication (and it is), gritty superheroes sell better than cartoony superheroes, so this is the right choice... which is, of course, not really their choice to make, because the style guides are written and approved by DC, which is also owned by WB, but you still have to license these things even when you have the same parent company.

Second, there is no reason to believe this won't be a good game for serious fighting game players. MK is a good game for serious players (taste aside), and that will inform their design process more than MK v DC will. Even so, it's too early to judge how this will play in competitive circles.
    -Old Blind Dogs
    Also, I MUST be able to play as Darkseid, dude is awesome.

Can't help but think of this now
    Spoiler:
  • Rabbit2k7Rabbit2k7 Joined: Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭
    Looks awesome, but still a little stiff like MK9 is. The interactive environments thing... well... dunno how that will work. Hopefully nothing too dramatic. If anything I would guess that the knocking through walls would be handled like previous MK titles where it just changes the scenery.
    Can't help but think of this now
    Spoiler:

"She kinda looks like someone left a cowboy boot out in the rain..."
    Insanity is freedom
    Shaft's posts are canon.
    First, I didn't say that the art style was what hurt the game's sales (although, I suspect it did because the target demo likes grit), I was responding to the claim that going gritty will hurt Injustice. If sales of other media is any indication (and it is), gritty superheroes sell better than cartoony superheroes, so this is the right choice... which is, of course, not really their choice to make, because the style guides are written and approved by DC, which is also owned by WB, but you still have to license these things even when you have the same parent company.

Second, there is no reason to believe this won't be a good game for serious fighting game players. MK is a good game for serious players (taste aside), and that will inform their design process more than MK v DC will. Even so, it's too early to judge how this will play in competitive circles.
    because batman kicking a guy through a building is gritty right?

thats the point the game is confused initself it wants to be over the top , but also real and gritty , they don't mix

all the characters look out of place ,
    "She kinda looks like someone left a cowboy boot out in the rain..."

I think I"m actually not allowed to like this game because there's not nearly enough wonder-rack walking around :(
  • LordxMugenLordxMugen FIGHTAN GAHMS!!! Joined: Posts: 412
    i actually dont want this to be a 2-D fighter. the market has enough of those already. i'd actually like something more akin to Imperfects (but actually good with no clones to fill up spots) or just a more detailed Power Stone. hell, Shoalin Monks' Vs Mode was some of the most fun i ever had in a fighting game so i'd totally like to see a return to that style. i just think its time for something different.
    *silently waits for Darkstalkers 4*
    I give NR Props because they didn't go the capcom rout by simple making a update of the same game and calling it a new game, people are forgetting about that. I like the way that did one big successful project, then moved on to something new, which is a great practice. I respect completely.

I think that's part of the thing, in one of the other discussions, a lot of talk was thrown around about the genre needing more boldness. NRS is taking some risks with this instead of doing the easy cashin followup (although in fairness the DC license is pure gold moneywise), and regardless of anything else ya gotta love and respect that.
  • specsspecs Excuse me, princess! Joined: Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I despise parrying and custom combos, this game needs both so we can see combo videos of Wonder Woman grabbing a car and trying to paint the fence on Batman as Batman parries the whole thing only to Gambit glitch into space timepants codfish dynamite hexactly.
    http://hfm.wtf — Pondering Entertainment
    The characters don't look out of place. You want to talk out of place? CVS1/2's cast and fucking Morrigan. That's out of place.

The only character that looks a bit off is The Flash because his suit looks like body armor which is something I expect from Batman. Did I mention he looks like a damn G'?
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The characters don't look out of place. You want to talk out of place? CVS1/2's cast and fucking Morrigan. That's out of place.

The only character that looks a bit off is The Flash because his suit looks like body armor which is something I expect from Batman. Did I mention he looks like a damn G'?
    what the fuck is a damn G'?
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    this game will out sell Marvel and Sf x tekken and be a fun gimick game.........because casuals will get there moneys worth and they know it and NRS has there trust.......Mk vs dc sold alot of copies for a game people shit on and created the story formula that brings in 4-5 times the sales of games with better fight systems that made mk9 a sales success
    Good Point.

Unlike Capcom. NRS is basically one of nicer studios.

I wish could find the image where Capcom vs NeitherRealmStudio compare how they treat their customers. NRS has HUGE advantage despite how many people here hate MK games.
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    I was really hoping they would build a new engine but maybe they're saving that for MK10.
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef STEEL THY BUTT! Joined: Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is where the art style of a game is a big deal though. If you're going for a realistic look like this game clearly is, is ridiculous over the top stuff like that from a character like Batman a good idea?

He's the apex of human potential in strategy and martial arts... I get it. But delivering a Lui Kang rising kick that throws a monster a quarter mile through a building just looks fucking dumb to me.
    For Batmans super powered kick I would just like to point out that Batman is capable of creating battle armour with tons of gadgetry that can enhance his abilities to superpowered levels, we can also see that his appearance in this game is a new design, with his suit in this gamelooking like a combination between the armored batsuit in Arkham Asylum, the batsuit in the Nolan series and his DCUO design, taking on a much more metallic looking and bulkier appearance than his usual design due to him moving away from his usual stealth focus an onto meaning he's probably loaded on a lot more power than normal due to him only fighting against superpowered or extremely powerful beings and therefore not having to worry as much about limiting himself in trying not to kill them.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    I was really hoping they would build a new engine but maybe they're saving that for MK10.

Well its all in Unreal engine, so its not really a case of 'bulidng a new engine' anyways.
    For Batmans super powered kick I would just like to point out that Batman is capable of creating battle armour with tons of gadgetry that can enhance his abilities to superpowered levels, we can also see that his appearance in this game is a new design, with his suit in this gamelooking like a combination between the armored batsuit in Arkham Asylum, the batsuit in the Nolan series and his DCUO design, taking on a much more metallic looking and bulkier appearance than his usual design due to him moving away from his usual stealth focus an onto meaning he's probably loaded on a lot more power than normal due to him only fighting against superpowered or extremely powerful beings and therefore not having to worry as much about limiting himself in trying not to kill them.

Batman's look is almost certainly heavily based on the Nolan movies. That's $$$$ right there :p

Then what's the point of him being a "gadget" character if he has the raw strength to brawl with anyone?

Just stylistically it looks bad to me. But whatever, to each their own.

• Noble CactusNoble Cactus In name only. Joined: Posts: 8,452
    Good Point.

I wish could find the image where Capcom vs NeitherRealmStudio compare how they treat their customers. NRS has HUGE advantage despite how many people here hate MK games.
    You mean this one?
    Spoiler:
    "No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell."
    - Jung
    Good Point.

Honestly honestly, its the difference between American and Japanese developers. The corporate culture is just massively different.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird F*ck this life Joined: Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This looks interesting. I want this to be a 3D fighter. There's plenty of 2D games already. Crossing my fingers for Black Canary
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • mugenlove100mugenlove100 i come in peace Joined: Posts: 521 ✭✭
    I want Rorschach please.
    i come in peace
    what the fuck is a damn G'?
    A damn GANGSTA. That's what. I want to crash the Nolan Batmobile into fools. Hopefully Wonder Woman won't slam that on Batman. =(