Justice League/DC movie thread

Comments

• Dragonfave723Dragonfave723 Kiss the future! Joined: Posts: 3,484
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird Crack is back! Joined: Posts: 24,130
    I want to be excited for the Flash movie but I can't. It won't be the Flash I want
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
  • LouiscipherLouiscipher Joined: Posts: 8,177
    Watching Flashpoint. Really good. It amazes me how DC animated keep getting PG13 ratings when they're more violent then the live action movies by far.
    STOMP!
  • Combo_KnightCombo_Knight DashUppah, Muhfuqqah! Joined: Posts: 5,313
    edited July 2013
    Rewatched Crisis on two earths, boy I didn't realize Batman sucked so bad in combat.

Edit: Y'all disagreeing and Y'all know owl man was beating that ass!
    Post edited by Combo_Knight on
    ---
    Holy fuck, Wonder Woman murders a child in Flashpoint.
    STOMP!
  • Kusanagi02Kusanagi02 Joined: Posts: 5,460
    I just find it weird that DC instead of just completing the trinity and doing a Wonder Woman movie, decides to do the Flash instead and then go into Justice League. Its like they don't give a shit. It'd be like Marvel not doing a Thor movie when he's a pretty important part of the Avengers.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 22,751
    Let's be honest, though... Who's really going to be hyped to see a Wonder Woman movie? Hollywood has proven time and time again that they have no idea how to write female leads, and not to mention all the backlash you'd deal with from faux-feminists due to Diana's costume... Not worth it on a big budget scale.

Do a Batman/Superman team up movie, use it to build up Justice League, toss Diana in there and flesh her out there. The JL cartoon knocked out intros for the big seven in about twenty minutes-- you could probably shave more time off because everyone already knows who Bats and Supes are... BAM! There's your characterization right there.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • Kusanagi02Kusanagi02 Joined: Posts: 5,460
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Let's be honest, though... Who's really going to be hyped to see a Wonder Woman movie? Hollywood has proven time and time again that they have no idea how to write female leads, and not to mention all the backlash you'd deal with from faux-feminists due to Diana's costume... Not worth it on a big budget scale.

Do a Batman/Superman team up movie, use it to build up Justice League, toss Diana in there and flesh her out there. The JL cartoon knocked out intros for the big seven in about twenty minutes-- you could probably shave more time off because everyone already knows who Bats and Supes are... BAM! There's your characterization right there.

Bullshit...There are plenty of writers out there that GET who Wonder Woman is. Its no excuse not to do a movie especially when WB/DC could easily just copy and paste what they did in the Wonder Woman animated movie.
    edited July 2013

Get James Cameron to write the script.

Trivia: the animated Wonder Woman movie (which was very good BTW) was loosely based on the Joss Whedon live action script.
    STOMP!
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,038
    DC should just stick to animated movies.
    The DC heroes do not translate well to live action.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
    For the record, I liked the Wonder Woman animated feature and felt it was really well done... However, you guys are crazy if you think a Wonder Woman movie is going to gross more than a Flash movie or do as well as a Batman/Superman movie.

Diana's a great character, but you lowest common denominator movie watcher is going to need a TON of convincing to go see it. It would need a hell of an ad campaign(I'd focus mainly on Diana's no nonsense, whoop ass first, ask questions later personality, with plenty of action and fight scenes), plus you'd need an actress with talent, presence, and the right mix of strength and beauty to pull off the character.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but its going to be a lot harder than just casting a semi-funny, handsome leading man to play Flash(would like to see Wally, but we all know DC will push for Barry) and call it a day... Because Hollywood doesn't like having to try to make something work.

I'm just being pragmatic here, guys.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • RockBogartRockBogart Donkologist, Ph.D Joined: Posts: 37,111 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Kusanagi02 wrote: »

Bullshit...There are plenty of writers out there that GET who Wonder Woman is. Its no excuse not to do a movie especially when WB/DC could easily just copy and paste what they did in the Wonder Woman animated movie.

I've been saying that shit for a while. WW's animated movie was DC's number 2 or 3 best seller for a few years. So we know people will watch a movie with a female protagonist.
  • ShadeShade FEMLE Joined: Posts: 2,287
    Flashpoint Paradox was the SHIT. So brutal. Very very well animated (probably the best one yet), and the voice talent was great.

I'm going to rewatch today.
    edited July 2013

I would get hype for a Wonder Woman movie. Hollywood has a harder time getting movies with female leads successful than writing them well. RE movies and Hunger Games are the only films in recent memory I know that are successful with a female lead. Wonder Woman being a pop culture icon that's something she can overcome.

Wonder Woman's origin deserves a movie of it's own. Themyscira alone will need a lot of time which a JL movie likely breeze through if the character were introduce there.
    Post edited by Hawkingbird on
  • HD-ManHD-Man Big Apple 3 A.M Joined: Posts: 10,472
    I'll admit, this one episode on Teen Titans Go isn't THAT bad. (The one where Cyborgs goes Skynet on the tower)

"I wake up and piss excellence"
    Like I said, I'm not against a WW movie, I just don't have much faith in Hollywood's ability to do it justice or make it successful... The people with money seem to not understand that you sell an action movie with a female lead the same way you do any other action movie--focus on the action and fight scenes and give us a lead character that is interesting and engaging.

A Wonder Woman movie could and should be awesome, but there's a lot that can go wrong... even more than a Batman or Superman flick.
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    The main reason we haven't seen a Wonder Woman movie yet is that there hasn't already been a Wonder Woman movie.

It's the same reason we're just now getting around to a movie about The Flash--a great character--and it's the success or failure of the Flash that will probably determine whether or not WB takes a chance on its other heroes.

It's not surprising that they'd try the Flash first, because no matter how stupid it sounds in this day and age, the fact of the matter is that Wonder Woman is a much more radical character. By contrast, a white midwestern family man with a respectable day job is pretty safe.

You also have to factor in that WB has already been burned by the failures of other DC properties. To be fair, though, if you don't put in the quality or the marketing, why should people go to see the movie? By all accounts, Jonah Hex and GL were assembly line garbage.
    I can agree with that. More can go wrong with a Wonder Woman movie. From the Batman movies and Man of Steel, David Goyer is Warner Bros go to writer to get their characters adapted to film. While he's a screenwriter that's very familiar with the source material I think he'll be a bad fit for Diana.
    I think a WW movie could work if they don't dwell on feminism. I thought it was handled well enough in the animated movie but even then I thought it was a tad too much at times.
    STOMP!
    Wonder Woman is a feminist character. There's no getting around that.

But you're right; dwelling on it (or, more accurately, wielding it like a sledgehammer) would be a mistake. You can let characters stand for what they stand for without putting them up on a soapbox. Unfortunately, blockbuster filmmakers aren't exactly great with subtlety.
    My only nitpick with the animated movie was that the pilot was chauvinist. I'd have the same reaction to seeing a group of amazons bathing but fuck, they're holding a sword to your neck dude, now is not the time to flirt. Plus the bar scene too but it's made up for by the fact that it was funny seeing her out drink him.
    STOMP!
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Shade wrote: »
    Flashpoint Paradox was the SHIT. So brutal. Very very well animated (probably the best one yet), and the voice talent was great.

I'm going to rewatch today.

Watching Wonder Woman and Aquaman (THANK the heavens they had a BOSS, diesel-ass Aquaman instead of joke fodder) fight, I for the first time understood what petty bad guys think when they give their all and the good guys just shrug it off and keep getting back up. I was like "DAMN, what does it take to knock these fuckers out?!".
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
    edited July 2013

But you're right; dwelling on it (or, more accurately, wielding it like a sledgehammer) would be a mistake. You can let characters stand for what they stand for without putting them up on a soapbox. Unfortunately, blockbuster filmmakers aren't exactly great with subtlety.

Yeah. I've always like WW as character who has been able to express her pov through her actions. But Hollywood and modern feminism would have her on the soapbox for the entire 2 hours.

Hollywood wouldn't be that subtle.
    Could it get any worse than the Wonder Woman TV show pilot? That is the question.
    STOMP!
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 2013
    RockBogart wrote: »

Yeah. I've always like WW as character who has been able to express her pov through her actions. But Hollywood and modern feminism would have her on the soapbox for the entire 2 hours.

Hollywood wouldn't be that subtle.

Yeah...she'll probably be ripping off dicks.

Dumbass: Hey, babe, nice bikini. If you're looking for fun, I got a party right here *points at crotch*
    WW: *steps close and grabs his crotch* Mmm-HMM...*rips his package off*
    Dumbass: AGH!! Y-y-you cr-crazy b- *passes out*
    WW: You're right, that WAS fun! We really must do this again. *walks off*
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • SuperTrollSuperTroll Pre-Crises Troll Joined: Posts: 1,659
    WW doesn't actually have to retain any feminist elements. The new 52 WW has barely any traces of feminist ideals and instead focuses on just presenting good supporting characters and a fun and engaging story(shocker that a female lead can have a series that doesn't revolve "girl power"). The only real reason people assume WW has to be a "feminist icon"is because Diana lives the feminist wet dream of a all female society with no males....but in truth she doesn't inherently need to represent those kind of qualities.
    Shut Up And Swallow
    Joshkaz wrote: »
    DC should just stick to animated movies.
    The DC heroes do not translate well to live action.

I don't know about that....

Truth be told, I think a animated form would be better suited for super hero comics in general. If animation was more respected in the west and not just viewed as something mainly for children....I think I'd rather see a animated extremis or AVX then a live action adaptation.

I'd be a very happy man if we ever got remender's uncanny extorce adapted to animated form along with fracton's hawkeye.
    Shut Up And Swallow
    New 52 WW has the same ideals, but the rhetoric isn't weighing down the story. I just hope they never let Gail Simmone near it.
    RockBogart wrote: »
    New 52 WW has the same ideals, but the rhetoric isn't weighing down the story. I just hope they never let Gail Simmone near it.

The only time I recall any similar ideas coming through is in the origin story of how amazons reproduce....outside that though I can barely recall any such encounters. I guess the time WW got pissed at Orion for slapping her ass might count as 1 but even then it was played out as comedic relief.

Agrees on Gail....you should see what she did to batgirl:(
    Shut Up And Swallow
    I already know what she did to Batgirl.
    What I find amazing is how any of her editors could"ok"that.....where the fuck is quality control in upper management.
    Shut Up And Swallow
  • TanionTanion The Elusive One Joined: Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Towards the end of Flashpoint Paradox you get a treat on what the next movie would be. I can only imagine the unholy hell that will be unleashed for when Darkseid appears again. Superman/Batman Apocalypse was pretty good.
    I hope they do a Young Justice movie.
    STOMP!
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    What artist's work is Flashpoint based off of?

Love those Batman DSLs lol....
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • Lord_RaptorLord_Raptor Joined: Posts: 8,809
    GAil Simone WW was so fucking bad. The sheer amount of people that dickride that run but hate the current and Rucka's runs are mind boggling.
    Are you right? Are you READY!?
    Sam Daly was Superman

tumblr_lzerfuZkEg1r3zat8.gif

SuperTroll wrote: »
    WW doesn't actually have to retain any feminist elements. The new 52 WW has barely any traces of feminist ideals and instead focuses on just presenting good supporting characters and a fun and engaging story(shocker that a female lead can have a series that doesn't revolve "girl power"). The only real reason people assume WW has to be a "feminist icon"is because Diana lives the feminist wet dream of a all female society with no males....but in truth she doesn't inherently need to represent those kind of qualities.
    Im perfectly aware of what it means mate:)

I know we all prefer wally then barry for the live action movie but barry is still a solid character. Besides it would be cool to have the fastest flash as the founding member.
    Shut Up And Swallow
  • Combo_KnightCombo_Knight DashUppah, Muhfuqqah! Joined: Posts: 5,313
    edited July 2013
    Man, As a Fan of the flash....THAT MOVIE WAS SO FUCKING SICK OMG! Shit was hype,
    Flash Point spoiler:
    I could have sworn I remember zoom taking a sword to the back though

the ending played with my emotions That shit was too good yo.
    Also Fuck wonder woman in any continuum where she doesn't know how to act right. Bitch is aggrivating
    ---
    edited July 2013
    I like the fact that the Flash wasn't an arrogant and naive douche for once. Hated his character in the Justice League cartoon.
    STOMP!
    GAil Simone WW was so fucking bad. The sheer amount of people that dickride that run but hate the current and Rucka's runs are mind boggling.

Gail's run ended up bad due to heavy editorial interference. It was great in the first year than editors wrecked her plans. Be it not allowing her to use characters she planned to use or forcing changes in her stories. If she had the freedom of Azzarello it would have been a great run.
  • ShadowcuzShadowcuz JTC Joined: Posts: 1,626
    edited July 2013
    For those who saw Flashpoint, would you guys say its worth picking up once it drops on Blu-Ray? How close does it follow the comic?
    PSN: JTCuz

Gail's run ended up bad due to heavy editorial interference. It was great in the first year than editors wrecked her plans. Be it not allowing her to use characters she planned to use or forcing changes in her stories. If she had the freedom of Azzarello it would have been a great run.

She has free reign in batgirl and she turned a once great character(oracle)into a fanfic.

Seriously I read scripts from tumblr fan girls who produce better BS then Gail has in the new 52. I only liked her batgirl annual but that's because she focused on a new character(Mary the talon).
    Shut Up And Swallow
    Shadowcuz wrote: »
    For those who saw Flashpoint, would you guys say its worth picking up once it drops on Blu-Ray? How close does it follow the comic?

I didn't read the comic but I read the Wiki and it was pretty accurate. Movie was damn good. Just do not show this to children unless they love gore. It's the most violent DC Animated flick right now.
    STOMP!
    SuperTroll wrote: »

She has free reign in batgirl and she turned a once great character(oracle)into a fanfic.

Seriously I read scripts from tumblr fan girls who produce better BS then Gail has in the new 52. I only liked her batgirl annual but that's because she focused on a new character(Mary the talon).

She got fired from that book once so I question much freedom she does have. I don't read it as don't care about Barbara as Batgirl. I'm big fan of work. Mainly Birds of Prey and Secret Six. I enjoyed her Deadpool material when she was at Marvel.
    Its better than the comic. Most people (myself included) didn't like the comic because they used it to launch New 52.
  • SWBetaSWBeta Joined: Posts: 12,770
    Flashpoint sucked.
    Okay, okay. It was godlike. Wayne family never catches a break :sad:

Aquaman laid them hands on Wonder Woman, FREE.

I don't follow DC/Marvel; someone inform me: What was all that random shit after the credits?
    SWBeta wrote: »
    Flashpoint sucked.
    Okay, okay. It was godlike. Wayne family never catches a break :sad:

Aquaman laid them hands on Wonder Woman, FREE.

I don't follow DC/Marvel; someone inform me: What was all that random shit after the credits?

Its the next animated movie and the first story arc in New 52 Justice League.