Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

Justice League/DC movie thread

Comments

• ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 2,249
    how can that be 100% with no GL, Martian Man hunter or Hawkbiyath
  • axeman61axeman61 My Baby Blue. Joined: Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 2017
    An article on the production of Justice League:

https://www.thewrap.com/justice-league-zack-snyder-batman-v-superman-wonder-woman/

Key takeaways:

-Executives gave Snyder free reign to do what he wanted. It was pretty much ALL Zach's idea to go the route the movies went, and he got a blank check. DC were coming off The Dark Knight trilogy, and Nolan didn't want to tackle Superman. But he tapped Zach and recommended him. However, executives wanted to get rid of Zach after Batman v Superman under-performed and was critically reviled. However, a key exec kept him on because removing a director midway through shooting is a massive sign of trouble with the movie. Ironically, Zach removed himself later after the unfortunate suicide of his daughter.

-A major reason the movie wasn't pushed to later after all the drama with Zach's daughter dying, Whedon coming on, and the Mission Impossible mustache thing was that top level executives wanted to preserve the bonuses they would get before a merger. I gotta quote this so you don't think I'm lying:
    One executive told TheWrap Tsujihara and Emmerich “wanted to preserve their bonuses they would be paid before the merger,” and were worried that “if they pushed the movie, then their bonuses would have been pushed to the following year and they might not still be at the studio.”

-Either way, Snyder's out for the foreseeable future. It's not outright stated in the article, but execs wanted him out during JL's production and now he's focused on family. Also, JL under-performed. It'd be a HARD sell if he wanted to come back, but I guess not impossible.

There might be more I skipped over.

But yeah. It's strange and sad that the thing they were all building to went to shit like this, but at least we might get more good movies out of DC in the future. But damn, they have a hole to dig out of. They've had a movie about Superman, a movie with one of the best portrayals of Batman fighting Superman, and a movie with the Justice League. Their best movie is still the one about Wonder Woman.
    "I want to find an honest [president]. Some guy who's just going to get on TV and be like 'Look, in order for this whole thing to work, at least two-thirds of you need to just go to the beach and walk into the ocean.'"
    -Bill Burr.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,976
    They were going to have to reboot anyway because no one gives a fuck about any of these characters other than Gal's Wonder Woman and the three minutes of Batfleck pretending he's in one of the Arkham games.

How you can manage to make Superman and ESPECIALLY Batman unlikable is a feat unto itself.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,536
    I love Superman, especially in these movies. MoS is my favorite DC movie so far.
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Goddamn you people are drunk off the Capcom-flavored Kool-aid (tastes like shit, I imagine)...
    RIP po 2018
    chadouken! wrote: »
    I love Superman, especially in these movies. MoS is my favorite DC movie so far.

You must love the accurate portrayal of Optimus Prime in the Michael Bay Transformers films too.

No, not really.
    Goddamn you people are drunk off the Capcom-flavored Kool-aid (tastes like shit, I imagine)...
    RIP po 2018
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I want the throne! Joined: Posts: 27,376
    They were going to have to reboot anyway because no one gives a fuck about any of these characters other than Gal's Wonder Woman and the three minutes of Batfleck pretending he's in one of the Arkham games.

How you can manage to make Superman and ESPECIALLY Batman unlikable is a feat unto itself.

They can't reboot. The Aquaman movie is already in the can and they already confirmed Wonder Woman 2 and it has to be in the same continuity. Trying to reboot will hurt them more. The best thing they can do is salvage what they have and focus on standalone films.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 2017
    Question for Superman fans....

Ive only seen the 1978 Reeve film and the DCEU/Snyder films, in addition to Superman TAS and the Justice League cartoon
    I like TAS incarnation the best, followed by the 1978 film in second place.

Would you say the other Reeve films are worth watching (2/3/4)?

Also, what would be a good trade paperback for someone new to the character?

Thanks.
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
  • AllDayDreaminAllDayDreamin Joined: Posts: 41
    JL movie was alright, better than other DC movies so far but doesn't come close to being any competition with the Avengers or even most other stand alone Marvel movies IMO. The dialogue was too corny and the CGI wasn't as polished.
  • GimpyGimpy Joined: Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Ive only seen the 1978 Reeve film and the DCEU/Snyder films, in addition to Superman TAS and the Justice League cartoon

Thanks.

Go here.

https://comicbookdebate.com/

The guy that runs this site is a huge Supes fan. His Twitter is https://twitter.com/ComicBookDebate

I hope this helps.
    C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
    I actually preferred the darker, more serious tone of Snyder's DC movies. If I want to watch Superheroes: The Comedy I just pop in any one of the Marvel Blu-rays I own. I hate that everyone wants DC to be Marvel. I like them both, but for much different reasons.
    RIP po 2018
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Thanks.

the 2nd movie is the only one worth watching if you have watched the first one already. 3 and 4 are garbage

hmmm, I did like the 80s reboot but I'm probably biased cause that's what I read growing up. Byrne's miniseries Man of Steel is how they rebooted it after Crisis on Infinite Earths, is just 5 comics and it is an easy read and introduces what in my mind should be Lex (as opposed to the mad scientist from the 60/70s). All Star Superman is also a good read. As people have said (and it's in the movie as well), Supes is an alien but it is the most human out of everyone. It's funny cause when you watch Kill Bill 2, Bill has this monologue about superheroes and their alter egos but imo he says the contrary by saying Superman is really Kal El and that Clark is the disguise. It's the opposite, he is really Clark with superpowers and uses the outfit so that he can have a normal life. Ironically, Bruce Wayne is really Batman and Bruce is the alter ego.

I honestly don't know what critics see awfully wrong in JL movie. I was very disappointed at BvS but JL is good, not very good but enough to make me watch it again (perhaps the expanded Blu Ray version cause you can tell they cut off a lot of stuff). A major mistake as everyone and their mother has pointed at too is that they tried to catch up Marvel, which was a mistake. Had they done WW before BvS and then take the time to make a Flash movie, a JL movie woulda been really hype, similar to the first Avengers movie.

I also don't necessarily want jokes every other line, but you don't have to shoot in black and white to make a "serious" yet fun movie. In any case I wish DC good luck with their solo movies. Marvel is doing great that's no secret, Thor:Ragnarock was great and Infinity War looks like is gonna break all records.

without spoiling the JL movie the 2nd post credits scene was really cool
    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP
  • axeman61axeman61 My Baby Blue. Joined: Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I was just shocked to find it was all Zach. I for sure thought the executives meddled with the movies to make them come out like they did. Executives in general have finger fucked so many projects from Point A to Point B until they're unrecognizable at the end. I thought they pissed in the pool here and were letting Zach take the heat for it. But no. Everything until JL was all Zach. That push to have Avengers without building any good shit first? Zach's idea.
    "I want to find an honest [president]. Some guy who's just going to get on TV and be like 'Look, in order for this whole thing to work, at least two-thirds of you need to just go to the beach and walk into the ocean.'"
    -Bill Burr.
    Superman 2: Richard Donner cut is the best one to watch that's not the original Superman movie.

John Byrne's Man of Steel is a great retelling. All-Star Superman, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, For the Man Who Has Everything, What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way, and Lex Luthor: Man of Steel are all essential Superman reading.

The current volume of Action Comics has been great too.

Also, came across this:

"Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This came up in my recommended videos so I thought I'd share. Dude brings up some really good points.

edited December 2017
    Time to change my underwear!
    C.O.P.A

Me, Shinshay, Shatterstar, Lil' Majin, Rokusho, Nobita Kun, Million, Hold Dat, R.P.D rookie, shinryukev, Mycah Leonhart, b1gazn, Warblade49, GunflameBuri, Shizuma_15, Level 3
  • Optimus124Optimus124 Joined: Posts: 4,015
    After watching that trailer, I didn't know that I ever wanted to see that kind of mashup. However, it's perfect.
    PSN, NNID and CFN ID: OPTIMUS124
    SF V - Dictator (that's all that interests me at the moment)
    SSB4 - Roy, Ike, and Shulk
    QFT: There's a thin line between being busy and bull$hittin
    C.O.P.A

Optimus124 wrote: »
    Batman: Ninja Trailer

Holy fuck that looks like a foot long joint with my name on it. Wish we could just get live movies straight from DCAU
    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,254
    locoghoul wrote: »
    Optimus124 wrote: »
    Batman: Ninja Trailer

Holy fuck that looks like a foot long joint with my name on it. Wish we could just get live movies straight from DCAU

It depends. Will Zack Snyder be directing them all?
  • FDreamFDream Joined: Posts: 1,036
    When i saw justice league i was appalled to see that the cgi in man of steel was better than the cgi in this one. thats 4 years ago. keep it together WB
    edited December 2017
    Zach Snyder will likely never direct another DC movie in the remainder of his career.

Thank Jeebus.

I loved Watchmen. If you have a hero or set of heroes, whose story is MEANT to be over-the-top dark and depressing? Then Snyder is your guy. I think he'll do fine.

But for characters like Superman and Justice League? No way.

Just look at this depressing promotional picture for Batman V Superman below. The messed up hair, the rain, the dark dreary background, the way he's scowling at the camera, etc. That's not Superman, that's just bullshit from the mind of a crackpot director. It's no wonder the movie was such a hit & miss with audiences.

20170905_n_nerdistnews_supermanblacksuit_1x1.jpg
  • appoappo (¬‿¬) Joined: Posts: 5,269
    at least they got the music right :coffee:

• ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 2,249
    When is the Young Justice 3 premiere?
    I'd smash
    There's talk of Matthew Vaughn wanting to step in and save the DCEU...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WB/DC, LET THE MAN DO THIS.
    anyone but Snyder really, is that simple. (OK not Bay either)
  • HD-ManHD-Man Big Apple 3 A.M Joined: Posts: 10,818
    Things i liked about Justice League: the character work. I like what they did wiyh Cyborg, Flash, Jim Gordon and especially Aquaman. Good action scenes

The bad: just needs a better script, the plot is basically from the Avengers. Also a better villain to work with. And Batman was quite useless and way to friendly, not my favorite portrayal

Better than all the other DC movies not named Man of Steel & Wonder Woman.

"I wake up and piss excellence"
    Imma say JL movie > The Last Jedi

don't @ me
  • Shinkuu TatsumakiShinkuu Tatsumaki Joined: Posts: 7,094
    edited January 2
    Movie was just way too short for all the stuff they threw into the movie. Ultimately, I feel Avengers is better, but JL did a way better job at making each super hero feel needed/useful. Avengers just throws in a bunch of super heroes and they fight weak ass enemies.
    Movie was just way too short for all the stuff they threw into the movie. Ultimately, I feel Avengers is better, but JL did a way better job at making each super hero feel needed/useful. Avengers just throws in a bunch of super heroes and they fight weak ass enemies.

One thing I dislike about Avengers movies is that they always end up fighting swarms of weaklings. And I kinda get that because some of their heroes are not that powerful (Hawkeye, Widow, even Cap to certain extent) but it kinda gets you the feeling of no real threat. It happened during AA, AoU and from trailers it will happen in IW as well. Civil War was awesome cause they were fighting each other, and even tho JL had them fighting parademons for a bunch of scenes at the end they were all trying to fight Steppenwolf.

I do agree that introducing 3 new characters from scratch (even if known from TV series or comics) felt really rushed. They should have had a chance to get a solo movie first, at least Flash and Aquaman and THEN have a JL movie. Hopefully second generation movies fix issues from previous movies and we get WW-like quality.
    DC promoted Walter Hamada to oversee their comic book movies. Geoff Johns and Jon Berg are no longer production heads.
    http://variety.com/2018/film/news/warner-bros-taps-walter-hamada-to-oversee-dc-films-production-exclusive-1202652878/
    edited January 5
    Lol Geoff "All I do is give Silver Age characters a handbag" Johns is out?

Does this mean we might get a Green Lantern people actually care about in one of these movies? Oh, and can we stop taking all of Wally's character traits and giving them to Barry also?
    edited January 7
    locoghoul wrote: »
    Imma say JL movie > The Last Jedi

don't @ me

100.00% agree.

As a DC films hater and expecting to hate it but, i really enjoyed JL in the end. I did not regret my ticket buy. Hell, JL gave me a better appreciation of BvsS and Man of Steel. I can now go back and watch those movies with more enjoyment now that i know what they were leading up too (still sucks they sacrificed the Death of Superman story as a gloried tool to further their plan for JL though).

The Last Jedi? Uggghhh. I WISH i could get my money back for that garbage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file