ARC EYE 3: LEDs made easy!

purplearmspurplearms Joystick mod senseiJoined: Posts: 955
Yes, I did say I wasn't going to make LEDs anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't work with one of the premier fightstick modders on the scene to bring you:

AE3-2.jpg

Quick Facts:
  • Yes, Toodles is my partner on this project!
  • New LED design to make it even easier to install
  • New LED controller to go with the LEDs (handles 8 buttons only)
  • Designed for 30mm SANWA (snap in semitsus and rollies are also compatible)
  • Arceye2 is not obsolete. It remains vaild for semitsu screw ins and can work with the new LED controller with slight modification to the controller
  • Yes, the new design is scalable to other button sizes / types in the future (but no plans currently)
  • Install / demo videos will be made shortly after EVO
  • Availability is tentative for late July
FAQ:

Q: What kind of joystick will this work on?
A: Any common ground controller including any of Toodles' products, PS360+, Hori, Madcatz, Paewang, DualStrike. Some versions of Qanba/Eightarc sticks are not compatible because they're not common ground.

Q: So how do i tell if my stick common ground ?
A: Please search the forums / google

Q: Is this plug and play?
A: If you have a 360 TE/TE-S Madcatz, you only need to solder one wire for power. Everything else is plug and play. If you have any other type of common ground controller, you will need to handle connection from Remora to the controller board. I will provide diagrams and pics in post #3 and offer advice where I can, but NO SUPPORT WILL BE PROVIDED for these types of setups. If you read through this post and still have no idea what to do, i recommend hiring someone to do the mod for you (it'll probably be a bit too advanced for a novice).

If you have a PS3 Madcatz stick, the header pinout is different than the 360 TE (for connecting remora to the controller). With a screwdriver you should be able to re-position the pins inside the header. Toodles is looking into an alternative solution in the meantime.

Q: Will you mod my stick for me?
A: Neither of us have the time I'm afraid, but you can hire someone like Gummo or JDM714

Q: Where do I find JST cables?
A: This should work
My custom stick, table, install vids, other fun stuff: http://www.youtube.com/PurpleArms
Arc-Eye 3 LEDs: http://goo.gl/BlNQc
·

Comments

• ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,777
  • purplearmspurplearms Joystick mod sensei Joined: Posts: 955
    Here is a pic with it fully installed in a MadCatz 360 SE stick with PS360+, rollie buttons, sanwa JLF and a link. The ps360+ is zip tie anchored to the base of the turbo panel.

IMG-20120818-00127.jpg

IMG-20120818-00125.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________

I connected VCC and ground to Remora. This is sufficient to test power draw of all devices at once (including turbo panel). Here is a video on 360 and PS3 to demonstrate that there are no power draw issues.

______________________________________________________________________________

I've started to clean up the wiring. The ribbon cables are organized and zip tied. Remora is mounted. Note that Start/Select is connected directly to PS360+ and the Start/Select harness will not be required in this install (as there is no LED support for these buttons).

SE2.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________

AE3 and Remora Install Diagrams / Photos:

AE3-1.jpg
    Remora2.jpg
    Remora1.jpgRemora3.jpg
    Remora4.jpg
    Header.jpg
    AE2-REMORA1.jpg
    AE2-REMORA2.jpg
    RemoraEdit.jpg
    My custom stick, table, install vids, other fun stuff: http://www.youtube.com/PurpleArms
    ·
  • DonkeyBlonkeyDonkeyBlonkey Part-Time Warrior/Soldier! Joined: Posts: 1,409 ✭✭
    O M G!!
    Bond: Vodka Martini.
    Bartender: Shaken or Stirred?
    Bond: Does it look like I give a damn?
    ·
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭
    Hurm...
    ·
  • butterojbutteroj VWDORK Joined: Posts: 1,423 ✭✭
    Omfg!!!!!

·
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Toodles?
    That is super surprise, about the joint.
    I was thinking purplearms do own, Toodles do own.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    ·
  • PinoyPrydePinoyPryde Student of SRK Tech Talk Joined: Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    Praying for future 24mm release
    arcadestatic.wordpress.com/ - Logs of current projects and other fun stuff.

Current Projects: Suzo-Happ/IL custom shafts, Sanwa RG compatible PS-14-KN plungers, Replication OBS-A Assemblies for Seimitsu Large Switch Buttons

Your thundering sound become the flash of light that pierces soul of crowd,
    get the whole world into the voltex...
    and from the voltex void, a person who could bring rise to a new light was born,
    cries of thunder and leads a lot of people ・・・
    ·
  • StarhammerStarhammer Watch them shake it Joined: Posts: 13,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm gonna end up with a custom stick............SOON.

-Starhammer-
    SoVi3t wrote: »
    Fucking American girls who cross the border to take advantage of the lower legal drinking age is like shooting fish in a barrel. I dont need gifted fat girls, I will hunt them down like the beasts that they are, like I always have.
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?
    ·
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. This is one kick-ass partnership. Bought, used and am entirely satisfied with the quality products from both parties in the past; can't wait to see what's actually in store with the combination of the two.

So many questions are already forming in my head, but I guess I'll wait until after the official info reveal before posting them.
    Current stick: custom ABS Modular stick (LS-31-01 + PS-14-GN)
    Cabinet: custom cabinet (32" LCD, X360, JLF + PS-14-KN)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    ·
  • StarhammerStarhammer Watch them shake it Joined: Posts: 13,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pictures. We will require them. Bring us the pictures as soon as you are able.

-Starhammer-
    SoVi3t wrote: »
    Fucking American girls who cross the border to take advantage of the lower legal drinking age is like shooting fish in a barrel. I dont need gifted fat girls, I will hunt them down like the beasts that they are, like I always have.
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?
    ·
  • ZensoukenZensouken SWAGGASAURUS REX Joined: Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭
    HNGGGHH, dat alpha 3 logo. I can hear the a3 announcer already; "This is purplearms' Arc-Eye 3!" So glad to hear that 24mm will be a reality on this rendition. Also praying to based Toodles for a solderless installation. I will pay.
    ULTIMO MADUROS Y CHIMICHANGAS TRES: SIDE OF DOS EQUIS
    Stridering since 1998; I play pragmatic and dirty. You will eat pringles and hate me for it.
    PSN IDs: "superschure" [USA] / "suupaashaa" [JPN]
    3DS FC: "1564-4856-0905"
    ·
    So glad to hear that 24mm will be a reality on this rendition.
    24mm isn't truly handled.
    ·
    24mm isn't truly handled.

How about user-end finagling? :sweat:
    Stridering since 1998; I play pragmatic and dirty. You will eat pringles and hate me for it.
    ·
    Well, keeping in mind the only transparent 24mm I know of is the Seimitsu DN-K, I may have to change my answer. I dont have any here in front of me, but if it matches the other Sei 24mm screw ins I have here, then the answer may be 'Not as well, but good enough'.

The LED controller on the other hand is 8 buttons only.
    ·
  • PheNOM07PheNOM07 The King of Hearts Joined: Posts: 691
    I knew it...
    "Straight Cash Homie!" - Randy Moss 84
    UMvC3: Zero, Vergil, Strider (Team Power Rangers)
    ·
    HNGGGHH, dat alpha 3 logo. I can hear the a3 announcer already; "This is purplearms' Arc-Eye 3!" So glad to hear that 24mm will be a reality on this rendition. Also praying to based Toodles for a solderless installation. I will pay.

A 24mm version is more of a possibility, as opposed to a guarantee given the nature of the design (and only if the demand is there).. thats all i'm saying.. but i think the 30mm version can be jury-rigged (hard wired) to a 24mm if you really really wanna do it (since the controller only handles 8 LEDs)...
    ·
    I'm pretty sure these ArcEye 3's will be compatible with Clear Sanwas :D?
    ·
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bleh, I guess with people throwing in questions, I might as well too.

- In stock form, compatible with Seimitsu snap-ins/screw-ins? [I'm presuming yes, since I *think* the interior clearance of Sanwa clears are tighter than Seitmitmus?]
    - The new LED controller, compatible with ArcEye2s? [I don't see why it wouldn't be, they're just LEDs; might need some custom connectors?]
    Current stick: custom ABS Modular stick (LS-31-01 + PS-14-GN)
    Cabinet: custom cabinet (32" LCD, X360, JLF + PS-14-KN)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    ·
    I'm pretty sure these ArcEye 3's will be compatible with Clear Sanwas :D?

Yes! ;)
    - In stock form, compatible with Seimitsu snap-ins/screw-ins? [I'm presuming yes, since I *think* the interior clearance of Sanwa clears are tighter than Seitmitmus?]
    - The new LED controller, compatible with ArcEye2s? [I don't see why it wouldn't be, they're just LEDs; might need some custom connectors?]

Semitsu snap yes, semitsu screw, no.
    LED controller works with ArcEye2 ;)
    ·
  • d3vd3v The Grumpy Machine. Joined: Posts: 26,702 mod
    Excuse me but, I just jizzed all over this thread.

One question though, will the new ones be able to fit loosely over a JLF shaft cover? With the old ArcEye, the PCB gripped the shaft cover meaning that the wires ended up getting ripped out if you ended up spinning the cover.
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
  • AcidLacedPenguiNAcidLacedPenguiN Joined: Posts: 116
    I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of boners all cried out at once, and were suddenly sated.
    ·
  • x24x24 Eiffel Tower! Joined: Posts: 256
    Is this why there hasn't been any updates on the new Spark boards? :D
    ·
    It would take a very teeny bit of soldering on the controller, and isn't supported, but it should be possible.
    Excuse me but, I just jizzed all over this thread.

One question though, will the new ones be able to fit loosely over a JLF shaft cover?
    Just tried, and nope. But there's more than one reason why. You'll see.
    ·
  • theBAYsicstheBAYsics '93 til infinity Joined: Posts: 642
    OMG! really excited for this.
    ·
    Just tried, and nope. But there's more than one reason why. You'll see.
    But is there at least enough space to Gummo it.
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
  • TRiXWoNTRiXWoN Solder Soldier in the 6 Button Army Joined: Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭
    Very stoked... still haven't installed my AE 2s in my led project stick
    ::Mod till your heart's content::
    ·
    Errant posts moved and cleaned up.
    -Mike_Z

·
  • 32teeth32teeth Joined: Posts: 831
    I saw a tray of these a few fridays ago, @purplearms let me hold one, and the punched me in the head to forget what i saw.
    @toodles & @purplearms nice work on the collaboration, impressive.
    Sparky Jr - Sparky Jr is a programmable RGB LED mod companion light up activation controller for arcade pushbuttons on gaming fightsticks.
    ·
    Thanks for the kind words, 32teeth.
    Just so you know, the Sparky Jr link in your sig is being flagged by Google as a malware site; the link is causing any thread you post in including this one to pull up a big scary warning in Chrome because of it. Could you undo the link or get that cleared up with Google?
    ·
  • GLORYBE26ODGLORYBE26OD Joined: Posts: 445
    That means i'll have to start new projects when this comes out. Can't wait. I also would like to see 24mm LEDs. I'll buy those right up.
    ·
  • FearlessFearless Joined: Posts: 297 ✭✭✭
    And just when I'm ready to order some KNserts... better wait to see how these new AEs will look.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand, are you saying that these new leds are not going to be compatible with Seimitsu's screw buttons?
    -And then you asked: What the Hell are you!?

Well, I shall say... I'm God's left hand... Devil's right arm...
    ·
  • spenzaliispenzalii Joined: Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭
    Well, looks like there's ANOTHER set of LEDs I need to order up. Really interested in that LED controller.

Glad to see Purp and Toodles work together.
    And we build BALLER SHIT! (c) Matskat
    ·
  • spenzaliispenzalii Joined: Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭
    But is there at least enough space to Gummo it.
    Remind me to check and see if an AE2 would do the trick. I've got a few, so we may be able to get that working on IS again at some point.
    And we build BALLER SHIT! (c) Matskat
    ·
    Thanks for the kind words, 32teeth.
    Just so you know, the Sparky Jr link in your sig is being flagged by Google as a malware site; the link is causing any thread you post in including this one to pull up a big scary warning in Chrome because of it. Could you undo the link or get that cleared up with Google?

Yes, this! I'm only able to bring up this thread on my iPhone; exactly as Toodle's described, Chrome doesn't like you amigo.
    ·
    Wow evo is mad packed. Toodles is getting swarmed!
    Already sold out of AE3 before I even make it over to his table.

AE2 is for screw in semitsu and will work with the new controller board with some minor modification (no support will be provided for this and you assume the risk to do it). AE3 is for SANWA snap in 30mm, although it might be glue-able to 24mm (I have yet to try). Keep in mind that the controller onlcontrols 8 buttons. You will have to light them up on your own.

I will try to shoot a video with toodles today or tomorrow and upload it as soon as I can
    ·
  • srwginsrwgin Joined: Posts: 10
    hope AE3 compatible with OBSC-30
    ·
    So any idea on when these babys are gonna be up for sale? (AND HOW MUCH!!)
    ·
    hope AE3 compatible with OBSC-30

OBSC30 are sanwa 30mm snap ins. They will work. In fact, any 30mm snap in will work (semitsu, sanwa, rollie). I highly recommend clear white buttons of course..

Video has been shot. I'm returning home from evo tomorrow and new info / videos / pictures will be made available by end of the week!

Availability should be soon. Everything is practically made, just waiting for toodles to put the finishing touches on his coding. As for pricing I'll let toodles tackle that as he will be selling them off his site gdlk.co
    ·
  • Helen KellerHelen Keller Joined: Posts: 47
    I snapped a couple of pictures of the AE3 on Thursday evening. I can post them up when I get home in 10 hours if Toodles doesn't mind and somebody else hasn't beat me to it.
    ·
    WWUUARGGGHH, my eyes are ready to explode! Can't wait to see these beauties.
    ·
  • CanadianDstryrCanadianDstryr The Mundane Cinderella Joined: Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see where this goes.

I've yet to cut my teeth on LED modding and this has piqued my interest.
    ·
  • Kuya_JoeKuya_Joe AKA BlindWithOneArm Joined: Posts: 2,816 ✭✭
    I did this led mod at evo with no instruction and had it installed in fifteen min... So damn clean...
    But it wasn't good enough right? Because it wasn't cleared by you lol...
    -YESMASTER...
    "She doesn't need a mouth to tell me how cute she is. "
    JDM714 epic...
    ·
    I did this led mod at evo with no instruction and had it installed in fifteen min... So damn clean...
    Meaning if I purchase the parts and stop by Fullerton, you'll do the mod for free right? Otherwise, the way you're talking seems like a baby can do this mod..... like a retarded baby..
    ·
  • Llama_eggLlama_egg Terrible at fighting games, great at coffee! Joined: Posts: 288
    Meaning if I purchase the parts and stop by Fullerton, you'll do the mod for free right? Otherwise, the way you're talking seems like a baby can do this mod..... like a retarded baby..
    I'm sure he means it's easy for those who know what they're doing.

Edit;
    I'm guessing if it was doable in 15 minutes it didn't require any drilling like the Arc Eye's 2 do, which I absolutely love!
    ·
    I'm sure he means it's easy for those who know what they're doing.

Edit;
    I'm guessing if it was doable in 15 minutes it didn't require any drilling like the Arc Eye's 2 do, which I absolutely love!

I'm pretty sure the three's will require some drilling, You need to get the the LED's connected to the buttons somehow!
    ·
  • Llama_eggLlama_egg Terrible at fighting games, great at coffee! Joined: Posts: 288
    I like to pretend they have some magical connector that somehow Harry Potter itself through a hole!
    ·
  • PaperTigrePaperTigre すごい!!!!! Joined: Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Otherwise, the way you're talking seems like a baby can do this mod..... like a drunk baby..
    ftfy
    ·
  • Kuya_JoeKuya_Joe AKA BlindWithOneArm Joined: Posts: 2,816 ✭✭
    Just wait untill toodles posts about these...
    But it wasn't good enough right? Because it wasn't cleared by you lol...
    -YESMASTER...
    "She doesn't need a mouth to tell me how cute she is. "
    JDM714 epic...
    ·