ARC EYE 3: LEDs made easy!

Comments

• vcdevcde Joined: Posts: 397
    Installs so easy even I can do it!
    ·
  • Helen KellerHelen Keller Joined: Posts: 47
    I'm pretty sure the three's will require some drilling, You need to get the the LED's connected to the buttons somehow!
    These require zero drilling and zero soldering. Here are some teaser pics.
    Spoiler:
    Unfortunately, I did not take any picture of the inside of the stick like I should have (shame on me,) so you will have to wait until Toodles arrives for more details on the install.
    ·
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,777
    Alright, Im back, who has questions that need answering?

We had two demo sticks running the Remora controller and the ArcEye3 inserts, and the bum rush of customers we had Friday morning meant we were out of the few pieces we had with us in less than half an hour. Koogy and Markman came by with an emphatic 'I WANT THAT NOW' so I even had a few sold before the doors were open, and Im pretty sure the techs hanging with MadCatz had them installed and on display in an Evo stick within minutes, so really there were three different sticks showing them off.

When some more pictures of the Remora show up, Im sure a lot of this will click and come together for those who can't picture how everything worked, but I'll try to cover the highlights.
    -AE3 is drill-less. They literally click onto the bottom of the button. It took a LOT of prototypes to nail down the specific shape and size used in the final result, and any of the techs that got to install them will agree that they remain VERY secure on the bottom of the button, with zero modification to the button itself, no opening of the button, absolutely zero possibility of it interfering with the movement of the plunger or otherwise even affecting the motion of the button.
    -AE3 is solder-less. You can't really see it in Helen Keller's photos, but there is a four pin header on the AE3 that is very easily connected to. You can try to solder to it if you want, but I dont see why anyone would.
    -AE3 will work on ANY snap-in transparent 30mm button. Sanwa OSBC-30, Seimitsu PS-14-K, and 'Crystal/Rollie' generic buttons. Seimitsu screw-ins are out because they use the much larger microswitch. If Sanwa makes transparent screw-ins in the future, I would expect it to work, but I can't make any promises. Sanwa clear 24mm are out because there isn't enough clearance between the microswitch and the bulbous protrusions on the bottom of the button. I expect that there are a whole bunch of other buttons the AE3 will easily work with, but they haven't all been tested since our focus was the transparent models. Maybe these would look amazing with pearlescent buttons, but we haven't tried and make no claim about how they work on anything other that transparent.

And for the Remora
    - Remora is an RGB LED controller make specifically for MadCatz FightStick brands, both PS3 and 360 versions, dual modded or not. Installation on anything else would be quite unsupported, but possible for a skilled modder in a common ground stick.
    - Installation is ridiculously easy. On dual modded sticks that have access to a VCC screw terminal, no soldering is neccessary. On 360 versions, the power wire can be shoved into a connector. Worst case, most difficult installation scenario is an un-modded PS3 version, which would require soldering exactly one end of one wire to power on the board. The other end of the power wire screws into a screw terminal on the Remora. The Remora replaces the existing button distribution board, so the only connections other than the one power wire are the two ribbons that already go to the existing button distribution board, and they plug right into the Remora. The Remora comes with ribbon cables that plug into the Remora, one for each button, and the other end of the ribbon ribbon cables have a four pin connector for the AE3 header, and two 0.110" QDs to go into the button microswitch.
    - Remora supports 8 RGB LEDs for the play buttons. The ones on display and sold at Evo didn't have true 6 button support, but that will be added in time for release.
    - Something like 17 different display modes and 5 screensavers currently coded. If you have ideas for other display modes or anything you'd like to see, please suggest them and I'll them asap. I have a LOT of room on the chip still to grow.

Both Remora and the ArcEye3's are expected to be up for sale on the http://gdlk.co site before the week is out. prices are expected to be $4 for the ArcEye3, and $30 for the Remora kit. I hope you'll see many more pictures and testimonials from Evo attendees before them, while I get to work on expanding the Remora code and working on documentation. If there's any questions, feel free to post them up.
    ·
  • butterojbutteroj VWDORK Joined: Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    So excited! Cant wait to install in my Evo stick!

·
  • DonkeyBlonkeyDonkeyBlonkey Part-Time Warrior/Soldier! Joined: Posts: 1,409 ✭✭
    These require zero drilling and zero soldering. Here are some teaser pic
    Spoiler:
    Unfortunately, I did not take any picture of the inside of the stick like I should have (shame on me,) so you will have to wait until Toodles arrives for more details on the install.

mother-god-meme.jpg
    Bond: Vodka Martini.
    Bartender: Shaken or Stirred?
    Bond: Does it look like I give a damn?
    ·
  • Jamin3131Jamin3131 Modding Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 1,184
    By button distriubtion board do you mean the terrminal strip? cuz that would SPECTACULAR!!
    Find me at A&C Games in Toronto Mondays and Wednesdays

·
  • srwginsrwgin Joined: Posts: 10
    so remora can not compatible with any PCB?

I have a XM-PS3 PCB I do not know remora compatible it?
    any pictures of remora?

any I want to know can we programming the LED by ourself?
    change the color ?
    ·
  • purplearmspurplearms Joystick mod sensei Joined: Posts: 955
    I snapped a couple of pictures of the AE3 on Thursday evening. I can post them up when I get home in 10 hours if Toodles doesn't mind and somebody else hasn't beat me to it.

Looks like the cats out of the bag! Video will be uploaded tonite!
    My custom stick, table, install vids, other fun stuff: http://www.youtube.com/PurpleArms
    Arc-Eye 3 LEDs: http://goo.gl/BlNQc
    ·
    - Something like 17 different display modes and 5 screensavers currently coded. If you have ideas for other display modes or anything you'd like to see, please suggest them and I'll them asap. I have a LOT of room on the chip still to grow.

Let's get those ideas in ASAP!

Toodles, did u implement any of my suggestions? ;)
    My custom stick, table, install vids, other fun stuff: http://www.youtube.com/PurpleArms
    ·
  • Llama_eggLlama_egg Terrible at fighting games, great at coffee! Joined: Posts: 288
    Holy mother of god I was right, now to keep refreshing your shop page till they arrive!
    ·
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -AE3 will work on ANY snap-in transparent 30mm button. Sanwa OSBC-30, Seimitsu PS-14-K, and 'Crystal/Rollie' generic buttons. Seimitsu screw-ins are out because they use the much larger microswitch. If Sanwa makes transparent screw-ins in the future, I would expect it to work, but I can't make any promises. Sanwa clear 24mm are out because there isn't enough clearance between the microswitch and the bulbous protrusions on the bottom of the button. I expect that there are a whole bunch of other buttons the AE3 will easily work with, but they haven't all been tested since our focus was the transparent models. Maybe these would look amazing with pearlescent buttons, but we haven't tried and make no claim about how they work on anything other that transparent.
    By this logic, I'm presuming that the AE3 will fit on a 24mm clear Seimitsu PS-14-DNK?
    Though I'm also presuming that, while it'll physically fit, the actual LEDs will probably not be ideally located due to the narrower diameter of the button housing itself...
    Current stick: custom ABS Modular stick (LS-40-01 + PS-14-GN)
    Cabinet: custom cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    ·
    By this logic, I'm presuming that the AE3 will fit on a 24mm clear Seimitsu PS-14-DNK?
    Though I'm also presuming that, while it'll physically fit, the actual LEDs will probably not be ideally located due to the narrower diameter of the button housing itself...
    I haven't tested them personally, so please take this with a grain of salt, but I believe you are correct on both points. The single Seimitsu (non-transparent, a PS-14-DN I believe) 24mm button I tried, the AE3 would fit on the microswitch, but the LEDs were definitely outside of the main body, at least partially. It may be a 'good enough' scenario for some people, but they're made for 30mm.
    Also, since the Remora only operates on the main 8 buttons, there's not much point unless using a different RGB LED controller.
    ·
  • PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭✭
    You going to pop up a quick demo on how to wire for AE2's (you mentioned a trace cut or something)? I didn't get to ask you at EVO but I want to swap my one setup that has fun LEDs over to a Remora.

I know you mentioned a no support thing, but at least a primer on what is required would be helpful for sure. If not, no worries I'll figure it out or just pester PA on it.

Normally use my chun stick, but may swap over, or just bring both to gatherings.
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
    ·
    G C V points are GND, LED Common, and VCC. there's a trace on the bottom connecting G to C. Cut trace, short C and V, and you're done.
    ·
  • x24x24 Eiffel Tower! Joined: Posts: 260
    The Remora should have a some sort of VCC passthrough in case you want to piggyback a Spark in your stick.
    ·
    You going to pop up a quick demo on how to wire for AE2's (you mentioned a trace cut or something)? I didn't get to ask you at EVO but I want to swap my one setup that has fun LEDs over to a Remora.

I know you mentioned a no support thing, but at least a primer on what is required would be helpful for sure. If not, no worries I'll figure it out or just pester PA on it.

Yup i'll have install videos up that will cover this..
    ·
  • ed1371ed1371 Yogahh Joined: Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭
    pics do not do these justice... you have to see them light up and changing colors in person... freaking genius design too... I am getting another stick just for these... lol I would think normal folks have that order reversed (buy the LEDS for a stick, not a stick for the LEDS) but these are so nice looking.

cant wait for em to go on sale :D
    why crimp when you can solder??

PSN: Nippage
    ·

- Remora is an RGB LED controller make specifically for MadCatz FightStick brands, both PS3 and 360 versions, dual modded or not. Installation on anything else would be quite unsupported, but possible for a skilled modder in a common ground stick.

Just to confirm, I dual-modded my Pro Stick with a Chimp SMD. It is a Madcatz product, so will this new LED controller work for my stick?
    ·
  • Llama_eggLlama_egg Terrible at fighting games, great at coffee! Joined: Posts: 288
    So by my understanding, the Arc Eye 3's can be connected to the Sparky PWM, right? Considering both my current stick and probable next stick are going to be using Cthulhu-IMP builds, it would be a shame if they could only be used with the Remora that's only intended for FightStick's.
    ·
    Just to confirm, I dual-modded my Pro Stick with a Chimp SMD. It is a Madcatz product, so will this new LED controller work for my stick?
    Yes, and it would be solderless since you can shove the power wire into the VCC screw terminal on the Chimp. We did at least two Pro sticks at EVO, on black one and one Evo stick.
    So by my understanding, the Arc Eye 3's can be connected to the Sparky PWM, right? Considering both my current stick and probable next stick are going to be using Cthulhu-IMP builds, it would be a shame if they could only be used with the Remora that's only intended for FightStick's.
    I honestly have no clue; I haven't used a Sparky before. I suspect they can be, you just need to be able to use a Sparky with common ground LEDs and a 4 pin 0.1" pitch connector. If that's true of the Sparky, you should be good to go.
    I hope to have a standalone version available before too long, but please understand the super easy installation in the most common types of arcade stick were a pretty big motivation.
    ·
  • AkkaAkka Joined: Posts: 287
    I'm glad I found this thread!

I actually talked to you Toodle's at EVO because I was wanting to get my VS stick modded with this LED setup (you were sold out of specific parts already and it was barely day 1 haha). You gave me a brief rundown over it and everything sounded simple enough for me to do. I do have plenty of experience dual modding via MC Cthulhu so I figure that this (360) VS stick will be the best time for me to experiment with the TE Kitty and the ARC EYE 3. However, my 1 problem that I have is that I am terrible with names of parts! So my question is, if I was wanting to do the Dual Mod + LED mod setup, what all parts would I need? As far as I know I would need to order:

-Arc Eye 3
    -Ramora
    -TE Kitty
    -VS Harness for TE Kitty
    -Clear Snap In Buttons

Sorry for the questions, I just wanna make sure that when these go available to purchase that I get the right thing! I'll keep checking Godlike Controllers' site for the products! Thanks!
    AE: Juri
    UMvC3: Magneto/Trish/Doom
    KI: Orchid
    ·
    I'm glad I found this thread!

I actually talked to you Toodle's at EVO because I was wanting to get my VS stick modded with this LED setup (you were sold out of specific parts already and it was barely day 1 haha). You gave me a brief rundown over it and everything sounded simple enough for me to do. I do have plenty of experience dual modding via MC Cthulhu so I figure that this (360) VS stick will be the best time for me to experiment with the TE Kitty and the ARC EYE 3. However, my 1 problem that I have is that I am terrible with names of parts! So my question is, if I was wanting to do the Dual Mod + LED mod setup, what all parts would I need? As far as I know I would need to order:

-Arc Eye 3
    -Ramora
    -TE Kitty
    -VS Harness for TE Kitty
    -Clear Snap In Buttons

Sorry for the questions, I just wanna make sure that when these go available to purchase that I get the right thing! I'll keep checking Godlike Controllers' site for the products! Thanks!

Excluding the tools you need for these mods, looks good.
    ·
    Excluding the tools you need for these mods, looks good.

Excellent. Yeah I have a ton of tools already from previous mods. I've always been too scared to try and LEDod though. However, this new setup looks awesome for it.
    ·
    There is NO reason to possibly be scared of this mod, especially with a TE Kitty involved. The TE Kitty has a VCC screw terminal you can use for the power, so the LED mod side of things is an absolute cakewalk.
    But PLEASE, to be on the safe side, complete the TE Kitty mod first, and fully test it out before you do the Remora and ArcEye3 mod. If you've looked over the TE Kitty mod instructions and feel comfortable with that, you will have NO problem with the AE3+Remora mod and spend more time kicking yourself 'Why was I worried about THAT?'

For those curious about parts availability, production ArcEye3's have arrived and are being tested, including a few VIP orders that'll be going out in tomorrow's mail. Remora boards and cables are already on hand, but I need a bit to implement some design changes to the code, along with doing the mod myself on a VS stick so I have a stick to test the code out on. Im still hoping to have them up on the site for ordering by Thursday.
    ·
  • soundprosssoundpross Sure You Can!! Joined: Posts: 112
    WOW its good to be back! I like the new revisions can't wait to get my hands on one of these.
    When they tell you "They can't do it" tell them "SURE YOU CAN!!" 
    I miss my evo 2012 banner :(
    ·
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭
    I'll be installing set of ArcEye 3 and Remora into Arcade Stick of my boy Leang of Mad Catz this week at Comic-Con.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    ·
    There is NO reason to possibly be scared of this mod, especially with a TE Kitty involved. The TE Kitty has a VCC screw terminal you can use for the power, so the LED mod side of things is an absolute cakewalk.
    But PLEASE, to be on the safe side, complete the TE Kitty mod first, and fully test it out before you do the Remora and ArcEye3 mod. If you've looked over the TE Kitty mod instructions and feel comfortable with that, you will have NO problem with the AE3+Remora mod and spend more time kicking yourself 'Why was I worried about THAT?'

For those curious about parts availability, production ArcEye3's have arrived and are being tested, including a few VIP orders that'll be going out in tomorrow's mail. Remora boards and cables are already on hand, but I need a bit to implement some design changes to the code, along with doing the mod myself on a VS stick so I have a stick to test the code out on. Im still hoping to have them up on the site for ordering by Thursday.

aww-yea-meme-original.jpg
    ·
    Definitely not scared of this mod :-) Just hoping I get all the parts needed lol. Once you stock the Ramora and EYE3 I'll definitely put in an order for those and any other parts I need (such as TE kitty parts). Great work!!!
    ·
    I'll be installing set of ArcEye 3 and Remora into Arcade Stick of my boy Leang of Mad Catz this week at Comic-Con.
    They should be going out in Wednesday's mail, prolly arrive Thursday, Friday at the latest.
    ·
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,767 mod
    - Something like 17 different display modes and 5 screensavers currently coded.
    Shit like this is why Toodles gets way more of my money than a normal person should. Granted, that money goes towards customer installs, but still.

Oh, and I have a suggestion: sell an 8 AE3 and 1 Remora board combo pack on the site.
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

·
  • HeliconsoulHeliconsoul Joined: Posts: 77
    God dammit. These LEDs just made me buy a Soul Calibur stick to put them and a kitty in. Never dared do an LED mod before but this looks great.

Toodles you're taking all my money.
    ·
    Shit like this is why Toodles gets way more of my money than a normal person should. Granted, that money goes towards customer installs, but still.

Oh, and I have a suggestion: sell an 8 AE3 and 1 Remora board combo pack on the site.
    Heh, there's more modes and options coming. I had a few good ideas thrown my way, and implementing them (along with unpacking from Evo) are the current thing holding them back from release.
    Combo pack planned, with button-less, Crystal/Rollie, Seimitsu, and Sanwa button options.
    ·
    Heh, there's more modes and options coming. I had a few good ideas thrown my way, and implementing them (along with unpacking from Evo) are the current thing holding them back from release.
    Combo pack planned, with button-less, Crystal/Rollie, Seimitsu, and Sanwa button options.
    Would there be a way to update it with more modes as you think of them, like using Flip or something?
    Only modding at tournaments now. I'm no longer taking mail order jobs. Please don't ask.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

·
    Nah. I looked into it, but I didn't see any bootloading solutions for the Atmega Im using that I liked in a way that would make sense.
    ·
    Nah. I looked into it, but I didn't see any bootloading solutions for the Atmega Im using that I liked in a way that would make sense.
    Okay, remove end users from the equation. Would there be a way for an experienced modder to do this, even if it's just desoldering the old chip and putting in a new one, or sending you the old one for reprogramming?

Granted, I'm grasping at straws, but it never hurts to ask.

·
    The Remora would have to be sent to me. There are the six holes needed for ICSP reprogramming, but I can't release the firmware because clones could pop up.
    ·
    Point made. Regardless, if I had monies, they'd be flung towards you with gusto. I'll pitch the product to the high heavens, though.

·
    Ok in case anyone hasn't noticed yet, the demo video is now in post #1!
    ·
  • Moreno EttemaMoreno Ettema Joined: Posts: 4
    Question do they solderless install with the vlxkitty also?
    ·
    Post #3 has been updated with some diagrams. More to come...
    ·
  • FenarisFenaris Focused Joined: Posts: 34
    I won the fully modified VS stick from Godlike Controls at Evo. This was fully modded with ArcEye 3 and the Remora mods. This LED setup is sicker than advertised. I may be able to get some pics / vid at some point this week.

Thanks again for all the work you guys do.
    Street Fighter IV : Bison, Cammy
    MvC3 : Practicing Hulk, Wesker, Strider
    ·
    I'm curious on how we configure the LEDs to our liking color.
    ·
  • DanAdamKOFDanAdamKOF Joined: Posts: 984 ✭✭✭
    Remora1.jpg

Shouldn't this say VCC 5V in the upper right?
    ·
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭
    AE3 and Remora Install Diagrams / Photos:

Installation in progress on a madcatz SE stick, using Rollies and a PS360+

Have you noticed any problems with the PS360+ install? Such as power issues..
    ·
    Shouldn't this say VCC 5V in the upper right?

Oops my bad. Was just working with a molex device when I made this. I'll fix it.
    Have you noticed any problems with the PS360+ install? Such as power issues..

I will be doing the install this afternoon. But it could very well be an issue..
    ·
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭
    I will be doing the install this afternoon. But it could very well be an issue..

Apologies - I thought you had already done the install as it looks fully connected to that SE stick in your post. The AE3's still need hooking up though..
    ·
  • ZensoukenZensouken Ouroboros = Chips Ahoy! Joined: Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    Would love to see a wiring diagram (for fools) on linking the ae3's with the remora and an mc cthulhu if possible. Also does the start/select area cover both buttons or just one or the other; and I guess a home/ps button would have to be illuminated separately, right?
    Stridering since 1998; I play pragmatic and dirty. You will eat pringles and hate me for it.
    PSN IDs: "superschure" [USA] / "suupaashaa" [JPN]
    3DS FC: "1564-4856-0905"
    superschure.com
    ·
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to see a wiring diagram (for fools) on linking the ae3's with the remora and an mc cthulhu if possible. Also does the start/select area cover both buttons or just one or the other; and I guess a home/ps button would have to be illuminated separately, right?
    The Start/Select area is just for the button functionality (since the Remora replaces the stock distribution panel in the TE). There's no LED support for Start/Select/Home.

And looking at the pic of the Remora, it looks like helluva lotta fun/ease to install. Even if I were to use it as a standalone controller in a non-TE. I've always hoped that someone would make a LED controller that was essentially fed "in-line" with the button signals, so this is definitely a nice surprise to see.

On a side note, was there any significance in picking the name "Remora" for the board? Named after the species of fish that piggybacks onto larger fish (ie, small PCB that piggybacks onto large common sticks)? Though according to Wikipedia, "remora" means "delay" in Latin, which really doesn't seem like something that's appropriate in this hobby... :D
    Current stick: custom ABS Modular stick (LS-40-01 + PS-14-GN)
    Cabinet: custom cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    ·
    I didnt know about the latin, that's kinda sucky.
    But you have the right idea with the fish. It's symbiotic. It can't do much by itself, but when paired with a big fish like a MadCatz stick, it can do some nice stuff. I wanted some sort of symbiotic name, and without going down the marvel road of Venom, Toxin, Carnage, etc. Remora was the first real life symbiote that came to mind.
    ·
    Apologies - I thought you had already done the install as it looks fully connected to that SE stick in your post. The AE3's still need hooking up though..

PS360+ power draw is minimal though, especially in PS3 mode. And this is a PWM controller, so I don't really anticipate any issues.
    ·