ARC EYE 3: LEDs made easy!

Comments

• purplearmspurplearms Joystick mod sensei Joined: Posts: 955
    Hello, I just bought 8 Arceye3 and I put them together tonight. 7 of them fit perfectly on the button, but 1 is so loose that it will just not fit,
    What should I do Toodles?
    use some hot glue, or some double stick tape, or wrap a piece of painters masking tape around the base of the button.. that should thicken it, and let the arceye3 grip it better
    My custom stick, table, install vids, other fun stuff: http://www.youtube.com/PurpleArms
    Arc-Eye 3 LEDs: http://goo.gl/BlNQc
    ·
  • GLORYBE26ODGLORYBE26OD Joined: Posts: 445
    use some hot glue, or some double stick tape, or wrap a piece of painters masking tape around the base of the button.. that should thicken it, and let the arceye3 grip it better
    Good idea. So I don't have to use glue.
    ·
  • MaximilianoMaximiliano Affinity Joined: Posts: 604 ✭✭
    Hey. I'm totally new to LED modding, so I need to know how these will work on my stick.

I plan on putting them into a common-ground eightarc (360/PS3/PC). You mentioned in the OP that these can work my stick, but I saw that the Remora board only works with MadCatz sticks?

Do the Arc Eyes work without a Remora board? What will they do?

I'd like to know before I make a purchase. Thanks. :)
    ·
    I plan on putting them into a common-ground eightarc (360/PS3/PC). You mentioned in the OP that these can work my stick, but I saw that the Remora board only works with MadCatz sticks?

Do the Arc Eyes work without a Remora board? What will they do?

Remora is a common ground controller, so if your stick is common ground, it will be compatible. It was designed to be plug and play with madcatz TE, but can work with other sticks if you can solder and know what you are doing. Otherwise, its a moderately difficult mod for someone with no experience, so i'd recommend getting a TE or paying someone to do the mod.

Arc Eyes work without remora but this is very tricky because without an intelligent controller, there is not enough power generally to power them all without it. Plus you wont get any cool effects.
    My custom stick, table, install vids, other fun stuff: http://www.youtube.com/PurpleArms
    ·
    Remora is a common ground controller, so if your stick is common ground, it will be compatible. It was designed to be plug and play with madcatz TE, but can work with other sticks if you can solder and know what you are doing. Otherwise, its a moderately difficult mod for someone with no experience, so i'd recommend getting a TE or paying someone to do the mod.

Arc Eyes work without remora but this is very tricky because without an intelligent controller, there is not enough power generally to power them all without it. Plus you wont get any cool effects.
    I see. Well, if I wanted to put LEDs in my Eightarc w/ clear Sanwa 30mm buttons, what are my options?
    ·
  • symonds85symonds85 Joined: Posts: 179
    I finally installed Arceye3 to my stick. It looks great and I love it!
    ae4550.jpg
    Here is back picture,
    qosqh4.jpg
    ·
  • DonkeyBlonkeyDonkeyBlonkey Part-Time Warrior/Soldier! Joined: Posts: 1,409 ✭✭
    2nd ArcEye 3+Remora Mod and loving it! (Shout-outs to Toodles too!)
    DSC03186.jpg

DSC03188.jpg
    Bond: Vodka Martini.
    Bartender: Shaken or Stirred?
    Bond: Does it look like I give a damn?
    ·
  • Flinst0wnedFlinst0wned Joined: Posts: 21
    The ETA for a PS3 release is like 2 months or something. If it helps, I too was completely new to modding when I started the install of Remora. I managed to get it working easily on my PS3 stick. Us PS3 users only really have to make one adjustment.

DJYin, would you be able to elaborate (or possibly take some pics) on the order you did the pin switching to match the Xbox pin out to the PS3 pin out? That's the only part where I'm slightly confused still. Thanks.
    ·
    Do Arc Eye 3s come with connecter cables?

Also, are they compatible with the Sparky PWM?

EDIT: Better Queston - Do you guys plan on developing a Remora board that's common-ground Eightarc compatible?
    ·
  • 32teeth32teeth Joined: Posts: 831
    Do Arc Eye 3s come with connecter cables?

no, the connectors come with the remora
    Also, are they compatible with the Sparky PWM?

yes
    EDIT: Better Queston - Do you guys plan on developing a Remora board that's common-ground Eightarc compatible?

do you mean specific to the Eightarc PCB, i doubt that highly. there are mentions on how to add to any PCB in the remora thread
    Sparky Jr - Sparky Jr is a programmable RGB LED mod companion light up activation controller for arcade pushbuttons on gaming fightsticks.
    ·
    Awesome. Thanks for the help.
    ·
    _
    You know where I can buy the cables necessary to connect Arc Eye 3s to the Sparky?
    ·
  • POPSKNZPOPSKNZ Joined: Posts: 26
    Any updates on the PS3 Remora or how to mod the current one? I'm willing to get the latest one if anyone can show how make it compatible for a PS3 Madcatz TE. Thanks!
    ·
  • deaded by pandadeaded by panda Joined: Posts: 290 ✭✭
    I've skimmed this thread and I'm not sure if someone answered this already.

While I am waiting for the arceyes and remora to ship (along with buttons, art and plexi lol) I have torn down the SFxT vs stick i am planning to mod and have a question:

For the VS stick, do you use te or tes for the qd's on the remora?

Also, is shipping a little slow for these? I ordered on Monday and haven't heard anything back yet. If so, no biggie as I'm waiting for other parts and have many other sticks to use :D

EDIT: as I typed this I got the email for shipping. Awesome!
    i suck at video games
    ·
    I've skimmed this thread and I'm not sure if someone answered this already.

While I am waiting for the arceyes and remora to ship (along with buttons, art and plexi lol) I have torn down the SFxT vs stick i am planning to mod and have a question:

For the VS stick, do you use te or tes for the qd's on the remora?

Also, is shipping a little slow for these? I ordered on Monday and haven't heard anything back yet. If so, no biggie as I'm waiting for other parts and have many other sticks to use :D

EDIT: as I typed this I got the email for shipping. Awesome!

I used the TE-S for both my SFxT Pro and V.S. and they worked just fine.
    ·
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,777
    Any updates on the PS3 Remora or how to mod the current one? I'm willing to get the latest one if anyone can show how make it compatible for a PS3 Madcatz TE. Thanks!
    The changes to the ribbon cables connecting remora to the PS3 board were shown in the Remora thread. PS3 compatible version is in the works but wont be ordered until the current batch starts getting low. It'll be a couple of months.
    ·
    The changes to the ribbon cables connecting remora to the PS3 board were shown in the Remora thread. PS3 compatible version is in the works but wont be ordered until the current batch starts getting low. It'll be a couple of months.
    Thanks for the reply Toodles! I went ahead ordered, delivery was very quick! Install wasn't too bad, there was some good info on getting this to work for a PS3 TE. Arceyes 3 look great! Keep up the good work!
    ·
  • HellaFilthyHellaFilthy Joined: Posts: 4
    I just bought some today. I can't wait to install them! I hope it won't be too complicated, lol.
    ·
    Easy as pie. I'm waiting for the next rev. Gonna be awsome.
    ·
  • redsoulredsoul New Guy Joined: Posts: 62
    I have a one off question for anyone who's got the answer. I'm wanting to use smoke buttons instead of clear. Does that make a huge difference? I didn't know if it completely gets rid of the light, if it's barely noticeable, or maybe not worth it. Just curious if anyone has tried non-clear but transparent buttons with ae3's.
    ·
    I have a one off question for anyone who's got the answer. I'm wanting to use smoke buttons instead of clear. Does that make a huge difference? I didn't know if it completely gets rid of the light, if it's barely noticeable, or maybe not worth it. Just curious if anyone has tried non-clear but transparent buttons with ae3's.

Someone tried blue buttons and it looked okay but nonetheless it hindered some colors to look just blue.

If you want to use smoke, I'd suggest you get smoke pushbuttons and clear rimmed buttons.

I had money to burn so I ended up buying four sets of clear and four sets of smoke if you're willing to spend some more dough.
    ·
    Someone tried blue buttons and it looked okay but nonetheless it hindered some colors to look just blue.

If you want to use smoke, I'd suggest you get smoke pushbuttons and clear rimmed buttons.

I had money to burn so I ended up buying four sets of clear and four sets of smoke if you're willing to spend some more dough.
    I confirm this. Colored buttons filter the light. Smoked should be OK though just less intense.
    ·
  • HellaFilthyHellaFilthy Joined: Posts: 4
    Installed them right when they arrived! I tried to organize the wires, lol.
    11ug8b4.jpg

24fb2vs.jpg
    ·
    Installed them right when they arrived! I tried to organize the wires, lol.

Nice and clean!
    ·
  • FleshmanFleshman Joined: Posts: 2
    Hi guys I wanted to put these lights in my stick and so far all I can tell is from the GDLK.co order site is that I need:

- Remora RGB Controller
    - 8x ArcEye3

Is this correct? Do I need anything else before I purchase this? If someone could give me a full list? But from the info here all I need is these 2 items from the order form. Any help would be nice please.
    ·
  • mr.mortifiedmr.mortified e-sports and pew pew Joined: Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭
    What kind of stick do you have?
    as long as the remora is compatible, everything is okay
    follow me on twitter @mr_mortified
    I need dat twitter PSR
    ·
  • FleshmanFleshman Joined: Posts: 2
    What kind of stick do you have?
    as long as the remora is compatible, everything is okay

The sticks compatible, standard Madcatz one. But just wanted to know if there's anything else I need like cables? Soldering iron? SO just those 2 items are cool yea?
    ·
    you'd need soldering equipment i think to tap a vcc line
    I need dat twitter PSR
    ·
  • LouieBHLouieBH Delta Red Joined: Posts: 572
    Hey im interested in buying these as a hitbox user im reading that these are only able to control 8 buttons right?

Could i use these with my 24mm sanwa buttons? my jump is 30mm so i think im good there other than that are there any work arounds i can attempt?
    ·
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...im reading that these are only able to control 8 buttons right?
    That's right, if you're talking about using the ArcEye3s with the Remora. On their own, the ArcEye3s don't "control" anything...
    Could i use these with my 24mm sanwa buttons? my jump is 30mm so i think im good there other than that are there any work arounds i can attempt?
    These will fit 24mm Sanwas, but they won't be pretty, since some of the LEDs won't line up right to be seen correctly from the outside. There was some discussion about it very early on in this thread (within the first 3 pages, I think). There are honestly very limited choices when it comes to lighting up 24mm buttons, and I think Pele LED units (from paradisearcade) might be your only real option.
    Current stick: custom ABS Modular stick (LS-31-01 + PS-14-GN)
    Cabinet: custom cabinet (32" LCD, X360, JLF + PS-14-KN)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    ·
    Hey im interested in buying these as a hitbox user im reading that these are only able to control 8 buttons right?

I have all 24s on my hit box and the LEDs worked just as well as the 30s.
    ·
  • LouieBHLouieBH Delta Red Joined: Posts: 572

ah awesome do you have any pics of it by any chance?
    ·
    you'd need soldering equipment i think to tap a vcc line
    Like he said, you'll need to get power. I had did this recently with a PS3 TE. I carefully cut open the usb cord,and cut the red wire to get my power. Kinda ghetto doing this since other people will solder directly on the Madcatz PCB. After cutting the red USB wire, I pulled back the sheath, twisted the wires back together and tinned them together with my soldering iron. Take another wire (add that to your list of things) and tinn that up as well and solder the cut red USB cord you just tinned to it. I used electical tape to help keep them together. This is the wire to be used on Remore VCC input. Hope this helps!
    ·
  • therooktherook I Challenge My Fate! Joined: Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭
    Is the ARC EYE 3 compatible with GamerFinger's HBFS 30mm buttons?
    SFIV: Guy, Cody, E.Ryu, Poison.
    Gundam Extreme: Wing Zero(TV)
    Tekken: Lili, Asuka, A.King, Julia/Jaycee, Kunimitsu.
    SC: Taki/Natsu
    VF5FS: Eileen, El Blaze, Aoi.
    ·
  • MizukiTHPSMizukiTHPS Nyan! Joined: Posts: 169
    I just installed mine and I am very happy, sadly one of the lights on one of the buttons doesn't produce green, which doesn't hinder me really since I am just using pink, but still a bit of a downer to an otherwise perfect experience. Installed in a StreetFighterxSanrio stick, the remora was a bit tricky to get mounted, but everything else went smooth. Will post pictures later.
    ·
  • ChaoticMonkChaoticMonk Shut The Front Door Joined: Posts: 865 ✭✭
    Looking to get AE3's and connect to a sparky (doesn't look like remora's are in stock) but was wondering if theres anyway to purchase the remora cable set without the remora itself as they'd make wiring a little easier/nicer.
    ·
    sparky pwm come with harnesses. I think it comes with enough harnesses for you. Let me check

nope, no pin headers for arc-eye 3's. I know PA or 32teeth put up links to how they did harnesses for AE2 boards.
    I need dat twitter PSR
    ·
  • Boita-cartonBoita-carton Joined: Posts: 294 ✭✭

I'm planning to build a new hitbox too, so I would like to see that. I would like to know if you did put LEDs to the directions too and how you did it. How about using 2 remoras so we can have LED patterns for the directions too ? Maybe a little overkill.
    PSN: Boitacarton/SpiderQueenLolth
    GFWL: SpiderQueenLoth
    Steam: sadhusatana
    Juri PC steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/teamjuriPC/
    ·
    LouieBH, post: 7745364, member: 23003 wrote:<br />
    Hey im interested in buying these as a hitbox user im reading that these are only able to control 8 buttons right?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Could i use these with my 24mm sanwa buttons? my jump is 30mm so i think im good there other than that are there any work arounds i can attempt?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I have all 24s on my hit box and the LEDs worked just as well as the 30s.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I'm planning to build a new hitbox too, so I would like to see that. I would like to know if you did put LEDs to the directions too and how you did it. How about using 2 remoras so we can have LED patterns for the directions too ? Maybe a little overkill.

I'm still working on that. Eventually I can get the derectionals to breath. The way to do this is earlyer on this thread.
    ·
  • ChoppaholicChoppaholic Sometimes Down Never Out Joined: Posts: 149
    Hey SRK...I looked everywhere for a answer but I didn't find one...I know that remora board is preferred for the Arc eyes but can I use a FGW Led Controller instead?
    ·
  • PinoyPrydePinoyPryde Student of SRK Tech Talk Joined: Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Hey SRK...I looked everywhere for a answer but I didn't find one...I know that remora board is preferred for the Arc eyes but can I use a FGW Led Controller instead?
    You could but you will not have RGB control with an FGW.

arcadestatic.wordpress.com/ - Logs of current projects and other fun stuff.

Current Projects: Suzo-Happ/IL custom shafts, Sanwa RG compatible PS-14-KN plungers, Replication OBS-A Assemblies for Seimitsu Large Switch Buttons

Your thundering sound become the flash of light that pierces soul of crowd,
    get the whole world into the voltex...
    and from the voltex void, a person who could bring rise to a new light was born,
    cries of thunder and leads a lot of people ・・・
    ·
  • ChoppaholicChoppaholic Sometimes Down Never Out Joined: Posts: 149
    Ah...I understand..thanks
    ·
  • RoyalFlushTZRoyalFlushTZ *Not a Ryu cosplayer! Joined: Posts: 1,354 ✭✭
    What size JST cables are required for the Arc Eye 3? And, if possible, a link to where I can buy it would be very helpful.

The link on the first page is dead.
    Thor/M.O.D.O.K/Viewtiful Joe
    Long live the Mighty THODOK! I do stick mods, too!
    youtube.com/RoyalFlush for TvC:UAS and T5DR vids
    ·
  • ZensoukenZensouken SWAGGASAURUS REX Joined: Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    What size JST cables are required for the Arc Eye 3? And, if possible, a link to where I can buy it would be very helpful.

Ditto, since I'll be hooking up some AE3's w/o a Remora and be using an FGWidget instead I'd like to figure this out too.

ULTIMO MADUROS Y CHIMICHANGAS TRES: SIDE OF DOS EQUIS
    Stridering since 1998; I play pragmatic and dirty. You will eat pringles and hate me for it.
    PSN IDs: "superschure" [USA] / "suupaashaa" [JPN]
    3DS FC: "1564-4856-0905"
    ·
  • MG3181MG3181 Joined: Posts: 12
    Does anyone know If the AE3's work with The Sparky Jr?
    ·
    Yessir they do.
    I need dat twitter PSR
    ·
  • MG3181MG3181 Joined: Posts: 12
    edited June 2013
    Also in regards to the sparky jr and the AE3 is the setup the same like connecting to a remora. My stick is also a TE-S for the PS3 so if it is indeed the same is there someone or place with pictures and instructions I could follow to install myself being new to this type of modding?
    Post edited by MG3181 on
    ·
    Zensouken wrote: »

Ditto, since I'll be hooking up some AE3's w/o a Remora and be using an FGWidget instead I'd like to figure this out too.

I went out on a limb and just decided to buy these 4-pin 30cm jumper cables designed for Arduino board and it turns out they work for the Arc Eye 3 LEDs.
    ·
  • ZensoukenZensouken SWAGGASAURUS REX Joined: Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I went out on a limb and just decided to buy these 4-pin 30cm jumper cables designed for Arduino board and it turns out they work for the Arc Eye 3 LEDs.

Hey, if they work then it's all gravy. Where did you happen to pick those up? I might also be bugging you on how to make the wiring look clean as I figure 4 wires from the pin equal ground, signal, and two extra wires I'm not certain where to send towards.

ULTIMO MADUROS Y CHIMICHANGAS TRES: SIDE OF DOS EQUIS
    Stridering since 1998; I play pragmatic and dirty. You will eat pringles and hate me for it.
    PSN IDs: "superschure" [USA] / "suupaashaa" [JPN]
    3DS FC: "1564-4856-0905"
    ·
    Zensouken wrote: »

Hey, if they work then it's all gravy. Where did you happen to pick those up? I might also be bugging you on how to make the wiring look clean as I figure 4 wires from the pin equal ground, signal, and two extra wires I'm not certain where to send towards.

I ordered these harnesses in a pack of 20 (but really a pack of 40 since they had plugs on each side) off of eBay for $10. They took 10 days or so to ship from China.

As far the wiring goes, I skipped using Scotch locks and just soldered the wires instead.

On the Arc Eye 3, the pins are as follows: Ground, Blue, Green, Red.

Solder all blues to the blues, greens to the greens, reds to the reds, then each of those directly to the Sparky green, blue and red (respectively), then the grounds from each buttons LED to the corresponding button ground.

I'll include pics for the next one I finish this week.

·